Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

triplexpac posted:

Edit: Haha in one of the videos at first listen it sounded like "STING SHOWED UP TO GET A FEW DICKS IN"

I thought "Oh no way, he's exaggerating." Nah, you were right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

triplexpac posted:

Edit: Haha in one of the videos at first listen it sounded like "STING SHOWED UP TO GET A FEW DICKS IN"

I honestly thought this would not sound like this

it really, really does.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

triplexpac posted:

The internet has a long history of seeing dicks where there are none, but I'm almost positive that's what he actually said.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This sounds like the set-up to a joke.

He terrified petey williams back when he mentored him, and while doing an incredibly dangerous and illegal manuever, he says to petey "calm down, do you know how long it's been since I've been in an accident", which did not reassure him.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I watched Halloween Havoc 89 last Sunday. WCW was always destined to have a clusterfuck main event.

Gus Sawchuk
Jul 13, 2001

coconono posted:

I watched Halloween Havoc 89 last Sunday. WCW was always destined to have a clusterfuck main event.

Indeed. I just watched Superbrawl '97, which has one of the worst endings I have ever seen. Piper vs. Hogan, and Piper won with the sleeper. However, while he and the ref are celebrating, Savage pulls Hogan's feet under the ropes and hands him some brass knuckles. The ref sees Hogan under the ropes and restarts the match even though he clearly saw before that Hogan's feet weren't even close to the ropes. Immediately Hogan hits Piper with the brass knuckles and gets the pinfall. Of course in typical WCW fashion, the crowd is pissed and the announcers don't even seem to know what just happened.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
A lot of this kind of poo poo had to do with Hogan's "Creative Control." He'd make sure he didn't lose no matter who won. Same thing at Starrcade '97.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I believe it was a PPV in '96 or '97, but for one of the many matches that Piper and Hogan had, it was stated again and again in the build-up to the show that Piper come up with the stipulations for the match himself, and that it was clearly billed as a World title match. However, when Piper won with the sleeper and everyone filled the ring to celebrate, it was suddenly announced that he had only won the match, which was a non-title bout. Not only is that a blatant bait-and-switch, but also makes Piper look like one of the dumbest men alive.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I believe it was a PPV in '96 or '97, but for one of the many matches that Piper and Hogan had, it was stated again and again in the build-up to the show that Piper come up with the stipulations for the match himself, and that it was clearly billed as a World title match. However, when Piper won with the sleeper and everyone filled the ring to celebrate, it was suddenly announced that he had only won the match, which was a non-title bout. Not only is that a blatant bait-and-switch, but also makes Piper look like one of the dumbest men alive.

One of my favorite moments from the Roddy Piper DVD is when he is talking about his time in WCW and he mentions that he did it all for the money. Another great moment is him talking about pissing off the Latino crowd by playing on his bag pipe the Mexican national anthem - La Cucaracha

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think that was Starrcade '96. The biggest show of the year with the biggest heel in the business as world champ losing in the main event.

Non-title.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
"Mr. Hole in One" Barry Darsow
Los Vilanos
The Gambler
"Thunderfoot" Jerry Flynn
The Armstrong Brothers
Marty Jannetty

I submit no other promotion had better jobbers than WCW.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Hog Wild 96 had a poster/video cover of Hogan in his Hulkster costume while he had already been Hollywood for about a month. In fact, that was the PPV where he won the belt. I know the posters are done months in advance, but you think they could've had a little more insight then that.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

crankdatbatman posted:

Hog Wild 96 had a poster/video cover of Hogan in his Hulkster costume while he had already been Hollywood for about a month. In fact, that was the PPV where he won the belt. I know the posters are done months in advance, but you think they could've had a little more insight then that.

Wouldn't that have blown the nWo reveal?

Also, Hog Wild was a free show for bikers, presumably bikers who knew little about wrestling and WCW. I'd say a poster with Hogan on it is probably the best bet.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Wouldn't that have blown the nWo reveal?

Also, Hog Wild was a free show for bikers, presumably bikers who knew little about wrestling and WCW. I'd say a poster with Hogan on it is probably the best bet.

Yeah but the video cover had it too, that came out presumably well after the PPV

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Hogan was a close to last minute decision to be the third man. Eric was confident that he could snatch away Bret Hart who was off TV and negociating his 10 year contract with the WWF. Even up until the day of the turn Hogan was having doubts about participating in it.

Hogan was also filming one of his lovely movies at the time and was off TV 'injured.' Hog wild would have been his big return hence the poster.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

My uncle got tickets to a wcw show in england here years and years ago (early 2000s i think). I'd never seen WCW as all we got on our tv was WWF so I wasn't familiar with any of the wrestlers. All I really remember is there was a great tag team match between ray mysterio's team and lance storm's team. They did a lot of physical comedy with eachother before the match started, mainly height based, then the match itself was really good with a lot of high flying moves. Some fat guy with a dumb name (that I don't recall) came out and shouted a lot about how he was gonna beat goldberg or end goldbergs massive victory streak or something.

There were a bunch of boring matches with a bunch of boring wrestlers, then booker T came out and was also boring. Eventually goldberg (whose pyros were really loud) came out to fight the fat guy, and the whole match was just goldberg picking the guy up, lifting him over his head and then slamming him down. He won and then triumphant music played and he walked around really slowly for 10 minutes in a spotlight and picked up a little kid from the audience.

Those are all the memories of WCW I have. At the time WWF had the rock and stone cold. I stopped being worried I was missing something great in WCW after that.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Dario Delfino posted:

I submit no other promotion had better jobbers than WCW.

Jerry Flynn actually wrestled Bret Hart the night after his concussion against Goldberg.

As for WCW jobbers, I actually thought High Voltage had potential.

The greatest thing about WCW jobbers though is that Mike Enos and Rick Fuller were unlocked in the game WCW/nWo Thunder by beating it with certain guys (Roddy Piper for Enos, Alex Wright for Fuller). Ric Flair, on the other hand? He had to be unlocked via code/Gameshark and had no special moves. He was a throw in, along with the "Inland Crew Bonus Wrestlers" such as Zoomie, Sleep Dopep, Dude Man, Wrestling Matt, Veal and many... many others.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lone Rogue posted:

Jerry Flynn actually wrestled Bret Hart the night after his concussion against Goldberg.

The greatest thing about WCW jobbers though is that Mike Enos and Rick Fuller were unlocked in the game WCW/nWo Thunder by beating it with certain guys (Roddy Piper for Enos, Alex Wright for Fuller). Ric Flair, on the other hand? He had to be unlocked via code/Gameshark and had no special moves. He was a throw in, along with the "Inland Crew Bonus Wrestlers" such as Zoomie, Sleep Dopep, Dude Man, Wrestling Matt, Veal and many... many others.

Well he was most likely originally planned for the game but due to the legal issues he was taken out, but his skin was still in there and they did not bother getting rid of the code. Or it could have been due to the fact it was Thunder the worst WCW video game until they decided that what a wrestling video game did not need was a ring, and giving Lance Storm royalties.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If you're watching the main events in WCW you're doing it wrong.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Lone Rogue posted:

The Power Plant - good idea, bad execution. Classic WCW. There were so many people that trained there because they wanted to be wrestlers, and just needed time and experience. In 2000, they rushed everyone out into the upper midcard, which I think hastened the end of several careers. Elix Skipper, Mike Sanders, and Sean O'Haire are three that stick out in my mind as having great potential that wasn't reached.

Shadalator
Oct 22, 2005

I hate her so much. Vince could've married some young hot gold digger, bought her everything she ever wanted, and still saved tens of millions of dollars. Instead he married an old dumb zombie woman who kicked JR in the nuts. What a bitch
Oh, what could've been...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcYEq63CyeQ

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Shadalator posted:

man, what a great loving gimmick, and so well played. And of course they did absolutely nothing with it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lamuella posted:

man, what a great loving gimmick, and so well played. And of course they did absolutely nothing with it.

You cannot blame WWE on this one. Sean O'Haire couldn't cut a single promo without cracking up laughing. They gave him several weeks of house shows and off camera promos to try to transition the character from rehearsed vignettes into an on screen character and O'Haire just kept busting out a big smile. Even the promos he did on screen he kept smiling. They then tried to push him by putting him with Piper and that didn't help.

It'd be better for WWE to just do the character over again with a different wrestler.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Lone Rogue posted:

You cannot blame WWE on this one. Sean O'Haire couldn't cut a single promo without cracking up laughing. They gave him several weeks of house shows and off camera promos to try to transition the character from rehearsed vignettes into an on screen character and O'Haire just kept busting out a big smile. Even the promos he did on screen he kept smiling. They then tried to push him by putting him with Piper and that didn't help.

It'd be better for WWE to just do the character over again with a different wrestler.

That would be an awesome character to put against Punk. Don't make either of them faces, just warring factions trying to take over WWE. It would be like a Spawn storyline.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Shadalator posted:

You do realize these were in WWE, right?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They should give that gimmick to Cody Rhodes

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I just realized that Sean O'Haire's promo on taxes kickstarted the Tea Party.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

WCW pushed O'hare much better than WWE did. He really doesn't belong in this thread.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Captain Charisma posted:

I remember having to watch the ISDN versions of Titantron videos in 1999. They were so blocky and compressed.

WELCOME TO xxNWODX316SUCKIT6969xx'S WRESTLING THEMES
All themes require Real Player 4!
Warning: By entering you agree you are not a government employee or law enforcement official

PsiKoTicK
May 3, 2009
I saw Sean O'Haire as an MMA fighters a couple years ago. He's loving HUGE.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Lone Rogue posted:

I just realized that Sean O'Haire's promo on taxes kickstarted the Tea Party.
He was trained in Power Plant which was operated by WCW which was run by Eric Bischoff. Full circle!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

how come I never knew that WCW (with New Japan) once did a pay per view in North Korea?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kollision_in_Korea

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

For Kim Jong Il's amusement no less.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

coconono posted:

For Kim Jong Il's amusement no less.

I'm imagining Kim Jong-Il "whoo!"-ing along to Ric Flair's chops

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Antonio Inoki vs Ric Flair? This is either terrible or the greatest match of all time.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Endorph posted:

Antonio Inoki vs Ric Flair? This is either terrible or the greatest match of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRW8isxXXig

190,000 people in attendance. The most watched wrestling card ever in terms of live attendance.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Lamuella posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRW8isxXXig

190,000 people in attendance. The most watched wrestling card ever in terms of live attendance.

Whatever Hogan bodyslammed the 900 pound Giant in front of twice that many people.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

FishBulb posted:

Whatever Hogan bodyslammed the 900 pound Giant in front of twice that many people.

He bodyslammed Andre The Giant with The Giant sitting on his shoulders, like a MasterBlaster gone BlasterBlaster

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Lamuella posted:

He bodyslammed Andre The Giant with The Giant sitting on his shoulders, like a MasterBlaster gone BlasterBlaster

In front of 1.3 million ticket buyers, brother!

I love that the story changes every time he tells it. I laugh harder after every interview its mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Someone linked me the WCW recaps on DDT Digest yesterday. Some of these are hilarious in hindsight

# In a big upset, Bill Goldberg pinned Hugh Morrus after a long standing suplex.

* Get rid of Goldberg's tattoos, and he's a dead ringer for "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. Right down to the attire.
* Hugh Morrus is over tonight.
* Oh, my! Goldberg kicked out after a No Laughing Matter! No one has done that before! (not sure if he's being sarcastic here)
* Goldberg refused to interview with Okerlund after the match. Given that, I like Goldberg already.
* Tenay was stumped and didn't know who Goldberg was. In fact, neither do I. Can anyone tell me. And before you e-mail me, it's not Perry Saturn. Goldberg's missing some of Saturn's tattoos.