Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Endorph posted:

Antonio Inoki vs Ric Flair? This is either terrible or the greatest match of all time.

It was alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
In Flair's book, he talks about how the North Korean promoters wanting him to cut a promo bashing America, and Muhammad Ali yelling out something like "No wonder we hate these motherfuckers!" when asked to do the same.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The best story from that show is how Kensuke Sasaki met his wife on that tour and they had incredibly loud sex at the hotel.

No one in the adjoining rooms could deny that Puro guys work stiff.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

TL posted:

In Flair's book, he talks about how the North Korean promoters wanting him to cut a promo bashing America...
2010 ric flair would agree to this, put a piece of memorabilia up for collateral, take the DPRK's money to pay alimony and then no-show the event.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sugar Blaster posted:

2010 ric flair would agree to this, put a piece of memorabilia up for collateral, take the DPRK's money to pay alimony and then no-show the event.

I can't wait to see Ric Flair's stump speeches in support of Sarah Palin. The betting lines will be fantastic, does he sleep with her before or after he bleeds during a speech?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The early 90s shows they did with NJPW was better than Kollision in Korea. Except for the whole Flair/Fujinami title mess the first one started.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm really having a hard time visualizing how 340,000 or even 190,000 people "attended" this event. In the only industrialized nation on earth with almost no light pollution.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I'm really having a hard time visualizing how 340,000 or even 190,000 people "attended" this event. In the only industrialized nation on earth with almost no light pollution.

North Korea constructed gigantic stadiums for their Youth Festival in the late 80s. These Stadiums hold those kind of numbers, especially when you only need to fit a ring as the playing surface. In a Totalitarian state, it isn't hard to make with the numbers after you have a building large enough to fit them. Find photos of North Korean rallies in these stadiums and you'll see these kinds of numbers. And I believe the number is 180,000 for the largest event, and 340,000 total for the tour.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It was held over two days so I'm pretty sure they just locked everybody in the stadium overnight and then herded in some more on day 2.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

There were 340,000 that night in the garden for Nash brother.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moose Bigelow posted:

There were 340,000 that night in the garden so their brother wouldn't get mashed.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Moose Bigelow posted:

There were 340,000 that night in the garden for Nash brother.

Hulk Hogan press slammed a (then) 1200 pound "Dear Leader" Kim Jong Il in front of 3.8 million screaming North Koreans, Mean Gene!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
IIRC people were required to go, too.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Hulk Hogan press slammed a (then) 1200 pound "Dear Leader" Kim Jong Il in front of 3.8 million screaming North Koreans, Mean Gene!

They tell the same story in North Korea, only with the roles reversed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CVagts posted:

They tell the same story in North Korea, only with the roles reversed.
Mean Gene slammed a 1200 pound Hulk Hogan, Kim Jong Il?

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arirang_Festival

you should hear the horror stories we had from people who were involved in this

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

MrBling posted:

It was held over two days so I'm pretty sure they just locked everybody in the stadium overnight and then herded in some more on day 2.

As Gorilla Monsoon would say, people were literally hanging from the rafters

Political prisoners mainly

evale
Dec 20, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Are there links to quotes or videos of Hogan talking about WM3? Would love to see how the story has evolved.

edit: 3 not 2.

evale fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 19, 2010

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

North Korea constructed gigantic stadiums for their Youth Festival in the late 80s. These Stadiums hold those kind of numbers, especially when you only need to fit a ring as the playing surface. In a Totalitarian state, it isn't hard to make with the numbers after you have a building large enough to fit them. Find photos of North Korean rallies in these stadiums and you'll see these kinds of numbers. And I believe the number is 180,000 for the largest event, and 340,000 total for the tour.

Yeah I'll have to look around, and I imagine North Korea has lots of Glorious Leader stadiums for military parades, speeches, and the like, but all I can think of is "holy poo poo an event with twice as many people as the fake Wrestlemania number with people in Mount Everest seats"

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
How the hell did a North Korean wrestling card even happen? Who approached who?

Also I found this looking for the answer:

quote:

"...The second we arrived in Pyongyang, our passports were confiscated. Then each of us was assigned a "cultural attache" to follow us everywhere; these guys even sat in the dressing room while we went over our matches. In the dining room where the wrestlers ate, there was a camera in each corner, monitoring every movement. When Scott Norton called his wife and said, "This place sucks," his phone line suddenly went dead.

Muhammad Ali and I were taken everywhere in separate vehicles, while the rest of the guys were on a bus surrounded by government cars. They split us up at the hotel -- the way they did suspected traitors they wanted to segregate and brainwash. I didn't see anybody until our handlers decided the time was right.

The event itself was unlike anything I ever witnessed. A total of 380,000 spectators attended over two nights....During the show...(t)he fans held up different colored placards to create incredible mosaic images. It was beautiful, but also creepy. The first couple of sections were occupied exclusively by guys in military uniforms. The spectators cheered on cue. I almost got the feeling that they had been ordered to attend.

...At one point, my minder asked me how much my watch cost. When I told him, he marveled, "Can anybody really have that kind of money? That's more than I make in five years." I asked him his salary. It was the equivalent of about seven American dollars a week. Had I realized that, I never would have worn that watch in front of him.

Because of the ravages of Parkinson's disease, it was difficult to understand Muhammad Ali when he spoke. But at one function, we were sitting at a big, round table with a group of North Korean luminaries when one of the guys started rambling on about the moral superiority of North Korea, and how they could take out the United States or Japan any time they wanted. Suddenly, Ali piped up, clear as a bell, "No wonder we hate these motherf*ckers."

My hair practically stood up on my head. "Oh, sh*t," I whispered, "don't start talking now."

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
The cultural attachés are standard for almost every person of interest who visits-- DPRK is pretty much like an amusement park, however if you stray into an unauthorized area not on your tour in this amusement park, you happen to disappear.

Also, the best part of North Korea is their entire DMZ protocol, which starts with funny things like speakers blasting DPRK propaganda South across the DMZ, and ends with really weird poo poo: poo poo like having an entire propaganda village in sight of the DMZ that is actually unpopulated (the windows of the buildings don't even have glass), that they truck people in and out of daily to "look normal and happy."

North Korea, Best Korea.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

North Korea is basically cartoonishly evil. When they inevitably invade a major country, it will probably involve them wearing Star Wars stormtrooper outfits and speakers blasting Imperial March.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Endorph posted:

North Korea is basically cartoonishly evil. When they inevitably invade a major country, it will probably involve them wearing Star Wars stormtrooper outfits and speakers blasting Imperial March.

At which point they face a force more devestating than both China's and the US's armies. Lawyers representing both George Lucas and John Williams. No more fancy palaces for you, Dear Leader.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
China coming to the USA's rescue after N. Korea declares war on America will be like Sheamus running in with a lead pipe to save WWE's faces.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DannoMack posted:

China coming to the USA's rescue after N. Korea declares war on America will be like Sheamus running in with a lead pipe to save WWE's faces.
In this metaphor, is Canada Santino?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

DannoMack posted:

Wade Barrett is actually Kim Jong Il

Daniel Bryan was let go because he was showing insufficient zeal in the NXT Youth Games

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Yeah I'll have to look around, and I imagine North Korea has lots of Glorious Leader stadiums for military parades, speeches, and the like, but all I can think of is "holy poo poo an event with twice as many people as the fake Wrestlemania number with people in Mount Everest seats"

Michigan Stadium could probably seat 130,000 for wrestling, so just stick another 15 rows on top and you've got enough.

e: Actually with just the ring and no stage or anything, you could probably fit 150,000.

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 19, 2010

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Lamuella posted:

Wade Barrett is actually Kim Jong Il

Daniel Bryan was let go because he was showing insufficient zeal in the NXT Youth Games

Wade Barrett's new nickname is Dear Leader.

Who was the source for that story about the North Korea trip?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

CVagts posted:

Who was the source for that story about the North Korea trip?

Flair's autobiography, if I'm remembering correctly.

EDIT: Google confirms.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

Michigan Stadium could probably seat 130,000 for wrestling, so just stick another 15 rows on top and you've got enough.

e: Actually with just the ring and no stage or anything, you could probably fit 150,000.

+ 40,000

. . . Is all I'm saying.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

At which point they face a force more devestating than both China's and the US's armies. Lawyers representing both George Lucas and John Williams. No more fancy palaces for you, Dear Leader.

I am pretty anti-war but I kinda want to see N. Korea try to invade a country just to see what their plan would be.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ultimateforce posted:

I am pretty anti-war but I kinda want to see N. Korea try to invade a country just to see what their plan would be.

Getting destroyed via air strikes as they tried to mobilize and never being able to fire a shot.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

MassRayPer posted:

Getting destroyed via air strikes as they tried to mobilize and never being able to fire a shot.

So, TNA then?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

whatsabattle posted:

So, TNA then?

TNA is more like the nation that announced they were supporting the US by sending 500 monkeys to Iraq.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moose Bigelow posted:

TNA is more like the nation that announced they were supporting the US by sending 500 monkeys to Iraq.
No, TNA is Sealand.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

+ 40,000

. . . Is all I'm saying.

Beaver Stadium is bigger you guys.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

AKMoose posted:

Beaver Stadium is bigger you guys.

Only for 2 more months!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Only for 2 more months!

:eng99: I had no idea our days were numbered. This is troubling news, indeed.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Only for 2 more months!

What?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

EDIT: It better be Joe Pa Rules Stadium next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007