Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Danger Mahoney posted:

Anybody know of a good low-resource game that I can have running in the background while I work? I like to take breaks every hour and I'd like something I can play for a little while, keep working, repeat.

No, not Prgress Quest. <:mad:>

If I'm not mistaken, the Settlers series runs in the background. I know the latest one (7) does, and even plays noises and cues for you while it does so, but I don't know if the previous titles do as well.

Alternatively, DEFCON has a 'realtime' mode, which is exactly that. I'm pretty sure it takes hours to get through one game like this, but I guess it's only multiplayer...or something.

Also, Uplink, while not quite the same thing since you can fast-forward stuff, is a kind of game where you can do one hacking mission, set the timer to go on 'real time', and just work until a new mission pops up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

modestduty posted:

Escape Velocity Nova: Nowhere near the complexity of X3, but massive amounts of customization. It also has awesome branching and interconnected plot lines that constitute the most well-done campaign in a game... ever.

X3 stuff

Awesome, added that one too my list, looks good. And yeah, X3, I played it long enough to beat the learning curve (wall) but I just never really could get into it, the amount of hours it takes. No doubt I'll give it aother shot sometime when I have enough spare time, because it seems to be a good game.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Space Rangers 2.

A tad expensive at the mo, but i'll keep in it mind as it sounds like the right stuff.

Doctor Zero posted:

Ever play Freelancer? That's my favorite space game.

Also, what do you mean about Infinite Space being "incesty"? I was thinking about picking that up.

Actually right after posting I got told to check out freelancer. Currently got a game going along with some massive expansion mod. Seems great so far, though the controls disagree with me (no roll? what gives!).

And infinate space, goddamn its a great game. The incesty stuff has all dropped now since kira is no longer in my party. And what the hell, 23 hours into the game and Intro Credits!

Cheers for the suggestions guys, looking forward to playing these awesome games. For anyone else looking for the same thing, maybe Transcendence is worth a look http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3219898

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Can anyone recommend me a PC game that is equivalent to Earth Defense Force 2017 for XBox? I love mow-through-the-enemy-hordes games with massively entertaining and destructive weapons. I also like 3rd person shooters over FPS.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

BigHead posted:

Can anyone recommend me a PC game that is equivalent to Earth Defense Force 2017 for XBox? I love mow-through-the-enemy-hordes games with massively entertaining and destructive weapons. I also like 3rd person shooters over FPS.

Released a long time ago, so you've probably already heard of it, but Serious Sam is the closest I can think of. It's a FPS though.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Released a long time ago, so you've probably already heard of it, but Serious Sam is the closest I can think of. It's a FPS though.

Another close-but-not-quite recommendtation would be Alien Shooter 2. I haven't played the Reloaded version, but I'm sure they didn't change anything for the worse. It's a pretty basic isometric action-RPG, where you buy big guns and mow down dozens and sometimes hundreds of aliens at a time. It doesn't look great, but it sure was a fun ride.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the recommendations fellas, I'll check those games out.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Looking for a game in the same vein as Raptor/Jets n Guns/Tyrian where you have a ship you can upgrade/buy new parts/weapons for as you go. 4x games kinda interest me but if it's one of them i'd also prefer it to be based around one ship or I guess a dumbed down version

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck
Can anyone recommend any town building games where I can set somethings up and watch things advance, build, do things on there own. I like watching things evolve and continue with minimal input from me.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Anybody know about an RTS with a skirmish function,(or a really good campaign) Sci-fi or Fantasy doesnt matter! Also it would be a plus if it got unit veterancy.
It doesnt matter if its 2d or 3d.

Please do not recomend the following games:

Any CnC game.
Warcraft 1, 2 or 3
Spring, TA or SupCom
Age of Empires or Age of Mythology
The Homeworld series.
The Myth Series
LOTR: BFME
Tom Clancy: Endwar
The Cossacks series

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

TheUnforgiven posted:

Can anyone recommend any town building games where I can set somethings up and watch things advance, build, do things on there own. I like watching things evolve and continue with minimal input from me.

It's not exactly what you are asking for, but I really enjoy Children of the Nile. While it is a city-builder, your people don't just run around and build stuff on their own.

However, you can zoom in really close, and select individual subjects. you can see what they do and how they feel. They have pretty realistic behaviors. So, what you can do is build a city and sit back and watch the hustle and bustle for a couple years. I find it really relaxing.

There is also a demo you can try before you plunk down your cash (only $12.99 on steam).

EDIT: Here's a great idea of the gameplay. Yes, you really can zoom in this far in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiUlqyQ5ciQ

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 27, 2010

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GyverMac posted:

Anybody know about an RTS with a skirmish function,(or a really good campaign) Sci-fi or Fantasy doesnt matter! Also it would be a plus if it got unit veterancy.

Any CnC game.
Warcraft 1, 2 or 3
Spring, TA or SupCom
The Homeworld series.
The Myth Series
The Cossacks series

Maybe a bit old now but Warlords Battlecry 2 is great. It has permanent heroes that you build up through a campaign and you can take them out of the campaign and play in skirmishes with them. You can keep your best units from map to map as well and level them up too. There are about 14 factions, and a million spells/customization options.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

GyverMac posted:

Any CnC game.
Warcraft 1, 2 or 3
Spring, TA or SupCom
The Homeworld series.
The Myth Series
The Cossacks series

The Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War series is right up your alley, though 1 and 2 are very different games from what I've heard, having only played the first. You can get the standalone DoW expansion Dark Crusade (generally considered superior to the subsequent expansion Soulstorm, which was poorly balanced and buggy) for under £10 online.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

V for Vegas posted:

Maybe a bit old now but Warlords Battlecry 2 is great. It has permanent heroes that you build up through a campaign and you can take them out of the campaign and play in skirmishes with them. You can keep your best units from map to map as well and level them up too. There are about 14 factions, and a million spells/customization options.

Hm I checked this game up on Google,and its looks neat! Thanks for the suggestion.

Frankosity posted:

The Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War series is right up your alley, though 1 and 2 are very different games from what I've heard, having only played the first. You can get the standalone DoW expansion Dark Crusade (generally considered superior to the subsequent expansion Soulstorm, which was poorly balanced and buggy) for under £10 online.

Yeah i forgot to add the DOW games on the list over games ive tried. But you were right tho, they were right up my alley. Except DOW 2, it felt like a stripped down version of the previous DOW games. So stay away from that one unless you are a hardcore fan.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 27, 2010

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I've suddenly gotten an itch for vertical shooters. Particularly scrolling shooters with bombing attacks included. I have a DS and got Ketsui Death Label but it's nothing but bullet-hell and bosses...I'd prefer an actual level with multiple enemies as opposed to straight up boss fights. I'm also not a huge fan of bullet hell.

I have a DS, PSP, and PS3. Any recommendations?

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Are there any good stealth-based games other than Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid and the freeware indie game Trilby: Art of Theft?

I've gotten a HUGE craving for those recently. I would prefer the games be freeware indie games, but commercial ones are fine too.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Fool Circle posted:

Are there any good stealth-based games other than Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid and the freeware indie game Trilby: Art of Theft?

I've gotten a HUGE craving for those recently. I would prefer the games be freeware indie games, but commercial ones are fine too.

Well there is always older stuff like the Thief series, and Tenchu series.... not sure if that is what you are looking for though...

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

GyverMac posted:

Hm I checked this game up on Google,and its looks neat! Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah i forgot to add the DOW games on the list over games ive tried. But you were right tho, they were right up my alley. Except DOW 2, it felt like a stripped down version of the previous DOW games. So stay away from that one unless you are a hardcore fan.

This is wrong. You are wrong.

To clarify for people who might be interested in less conventional RTSes, whereas Dawn of War 1 and expansions are more conventional StarCraft-like RTSes where you build bases, expand to take resources around the map, and build armies of expendable units to use in large battles, Dawn of War 2 is what happens when you take Company of Heroes, set it 38 thousand years in the future, remove the majority of base building, give every unit powerful abilities that can wipe out armies if used properly, and remove turtling and any kind of defensive measures beyond ambushes, mines, turrets and set-up weapons. DoW 2 is a much more aggressive and focus-intensive RTS than DoW 1, where you will never spend more than 30 seconds without being engaged in combat, and leaving units to fend for themselves without micromanagement can get them annihilated within seconds. DoW 2 places much more emphasis on using what little you have to achieve more than what should be possible, and battles will be won or lost by tactical maneuvering and game-changing abilities used at critical junctures, rather than by out-zerging your opponent with half a dozen tanks and a dozen squads of marines.

I much prefer DoW 2 over the first games, but it certainly is not for everyone; multiplayer is really user-unfriendly, not because of the community, but because it is very easy to lose everything and never recover because you don't know what you are doing.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fool Circle posted:

Seconding the the Thief-Series. Also, you might give Sniper Elite a try, however it is more focused on carefully scouting out the area, stealthily moving into position and shooting people in the face from far away.

Also, GyverMac: Definitely give World in Conflict a try. It has a very good singleplayer-campaign, neat multiplayer and unit veterinacy is in as well (however, they are usually not persistent between missions). No basebuilding, though.

The Codename: Panzers series is interesting and underappreciated as well. If my memory serves, it allows for quite intricate configuration of your skirmishes. Usually you buy all you units beforehand and have to make do with them throughout the skirmish.

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck

Doctor Zero posted:

It's not exactly what you are asking for, but I really enjoy Children of the Nile. While it is a city-builder, your people don't just run around and build stuff on their own.

However, you can zoom in really close, and select individual subjects. you can see what they do and how they feel. They have pretty realistic behaviors. So, what you can do is build a city and sit back and watch the hustle and bustle for a couple years. I find it really relaxing.

There is also a demo you can try before you plunk down your cash (only $12.99 on steam).

EDIT: Here's a great idea of the gameplay. Yes, you really can zoom in this far in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiUlqyQ5ciQ

For 13 bucks, I think I can give it a try. I really wish there was a game where I could just layout how I want the town to look, and see what pops up where. How things progress, ec.t

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

TheUnforgiven posted:

For 13 bucks, I think I can give it a try. I really wish there was a game where I could just layout how I want the town to look, and see what pops up where. How things progress, ec.t

Yeah, I know what you mean - that would be cool. The only thing I can think of that is remotely like that is SimEarth. It was always cool seeing what kind of life would rise up and develop. I really wish Spore had just been SimEarth (or better yet, SimSolarSystem). Ah well. :sigh:

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I want a PC game that plays like the 3D Prince of Persia trilogy. Swordfighting, sneaking, traps, and acrobatics. I've been playing Assassin's Creed 2 lately which is pretty fun, a little too sandboxy though, but I want more. I didn't like the 2008 PoP because it was too easy and had pretty boring gameplay.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

V for Vegas posted:

I'm looking for a turnbased wargame where you get to command massive tactical battles where I can have 100,000 troops, on the field, spread out along a front a couple of miles long, that I can move around at the brigade or divisional level. Preferably 19th century.

Essentially a game where you get something like the Austerlitz OOB at the start of the game and go from there.

Got my wish Scourge of War

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
My requirements are going to be a bit specific so I won't be surprised if there are few/no games matching my criteria:

I'm looking for a scifi space exploration/rpg styled game with a lot of character interaction and a decent story. However, it must:
-be on PC or 360 (yeah right)
-involve some ship/character customization
-be single player
-have the player managing a crewed vessel (no one man fighters)

Do not suggest (all good games but not exactly what I'm looking for:)
-Mass Effect
-EV: Nova
-Freelancer

Basically something that juggles a decent plot/characters with gameplay somewhat similar to Star Trek: Online.

Arson
Dec 9, 2003

SPF 45 a day keeps the oncologist away.
Looking for a few good suggestions for sandboxy or open-ended games. The genre doesn't particularly matter to me. I'd like something that gives me a lot of freedom to do lots of different things to a world with permanent effect.

I've played Wurm Online, which has all the elements I'm looking for, but it's too faulty for me to tolerate anymore. I wanted to like Dwarf Fortress, but I can't get past the ASCII and poor interface to get into the game.

Halp.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

My requirements are going to be a bit specific so I won't be surprised if there are few/no games matching my criteria:

I'm looking for a scifi space exploration/rpg styled game with a lot of character interaction and a decent story. However, it must:
-be single player

-Mass Effect
-Freelancer

Basically something that juggles a decent plot/characters with gameplay somewhat similar to Star Trek: Online.

This might be a long shot, but the free remake of Star Control 2 has all those things. It's pretty old but still one of the best games ever made in my opinion.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

-be single player

-Mass Effect
-Freelancer

X3: Terran Conflict might be something for you. You can customise your ships a bit by outfitting them with different weapons and shields. At the beginning you are still the single pilot of a fighter/transporter, but later on you can buy and command huge capital ships with arrays of turrets and hangars for smaller ships.
You don't have any interaction with the crew of your vessel, but you can command an unlimited number of other ships.

However, do not expect much in terms of plot or characters, they are rather simple. It's more of a sandbox-game in space, really.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've actually played both X3:TC and Star Control 2.

Star Control's the closest thing I've found to what I'm looking for but I've played through it so many times.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I've recently gotten an itch for a Multiplayer RPG I can play with a friend.
We've tried a few of the big ones: Diablo 2 and Titan Quest. Diablo 2 (while a damned fine classic) felt outdated, even with the popular Eastern Sun modification. Titan Quest was a more shiny pretty version of it, but boring to play.

With those two out of the way, we figured a more classic kind of RPG would be fun, so we set out to play Neverwinter Nights 2 Multiplayer. That also somewhat failed as we quickly noticed it was best played in singleplayer (too much pausing).

Is there a multiplayer RPG on PC we could play that isn't as pure Hack&Slash as Diablo 2, but at the same time more multiplayer friendly than NWN2? Does anyone know if Sacred 2 is worth tracking down and trying out?

We're currently playing the Dawn of War 2 singleplayer campaign in coop, and while fun, it's no real RPG. :shobon:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Sacred 2 is very similar to Diablo with even less of a story.

You could try Dungeon Siege 2. It's a hack and slash but much better paced that TQ.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
Dungeon Siege 2 looks like a fun thing to try out. I remember playing the first one and having quite a bit of fun with it, I'll check it out!

I saw that they did another "siege" game by the name "Space Siege". Reading the reviews for that one makes me pretty confused how they failed that badly with it. :psyduck:

Shame about Sacred 2, and I guess the market will keep being pretty quiet until Diablo 3 is released. At least on the PC. :(

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Mokinokaro posted:

I've actually played both X3:TC and Star Control 2.

Star Control's the closest thing I've found to what I'm looking for but I've played through it so many times.

If you don't mind an even older title, Starflight 1&2 are great games which largely inspired Star Control. Might be worth a shot if you don't mind their age, but for something newer also give Space Rangers 2 a shot.

Another older title which fits your criteria is Planet's Edge. It's by the same folks who made the early Might & Magic titles and from what I remember, featured extensive environments, items, monsters, etc.

Finally there's Wing Commander Privateer which falls into the freeform space-sim category; maybe I-War as well. However I'd personally recommend the Elite/Frontier series, the originator none greater.

If you wish to give up the crew management aspect, System Shock could work as well. Play it anyways if you haven't already.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I'm looking for a game either for the Wii, PC or Mac in which you basically play soccer with cars. So you're on a pitch with a goal on each end and two teams (or two players playing 1 on 1) try to bounce a big ball in the opposite net.

Background: I'm currently watching a rerun of the "Autoball World Cup" on German TV and while it bored me at first, it's getting quite interesting the more I watch it :D

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I'm looking for a "build a village" type game, like the Hinterland and Cultures games, were you have to build a village/community from scratch while defending against monsters and wildlife.

Please do not mention any of the majesty games, they are not quite what im looking for. :)

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Similar to Lamquin but not exactly, I have an ARPG itch that needs scratching for the PC.

I've played the hell out of the Diablos, Titan Quest, Sacred II (which I thought was a great game), the Dungeon Sieges, Fate and Torchlight. They're all good, but I can't really convince myself to go through each one for the sixth or more time. I also played Hellgate, the original Sacred and a handful of others which were not very good at all.

I've been looking up Diablo clones and I came across Legend: Hand of God. Has anybody given this a go? From the videos on youtube, it looks like a straight knock off of D2, with better (but still dated 3D) graphics and a fun gimmick where you actually control a Tink like character that acts as your cursor, source of light and occasional color commentator. It also seems to have suitably terrible voice acting - something I almost find charming in this type of game (if I want serious roleplay, I'll play a real RPG.)

Any other suggestions? Loki looks pretty bad but it came up often in my search for clones. so did Nox, but it looks too dated for my preferences. I love loot, so the lootier the better. That's why I hold Sacred II in high regard - the variety and number of drops is astronomical.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

What are some fun free / cheap games I can put on my MacBook? Puzzle / Adventure / RPG / Strategy would be cool. Action / shooters, not so much. Preferably something that is decent with a touchpad. Mac exclusive would be cool.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Doctor Zero posted:

What are some fun free / cheap games I can put on my MacBook? Puzzle / Adventure / RPG / Strategy would be cool. Action / shooters, not so much. Preferably something that is decent with a touchpad. Mac exclusive would be cool.
If you haven't already, try out Puzzle Quest. I'm reasonable sure there's a Mac version of it, and it shouldn't be too expensive nowadays. It's a hybrid puzzle/RPG game, and good for either hours of play or a quick match during lunch. Be warned though, the AI is a dirty cheating bastard sometimes...

I was also gonna suggest Civ 4, but holy gently caress is the Mac version expensive. While the PC one is going for 5-10 bucks for just the standalone game, the mac one is still $40-50!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Alkanos posted:

If you haven't already, try out Puzzle Quest. I'm reasonable sure there's a Mac version of it, and it shouldn't be too expensive nowadays. It's a hybrid puzzle/RPG game, and good for either hours of play or a quick match during lunch. Be warned though, the AI is a dirty cheating bastard sometimes...

I was also gonna suggest Civ 4, but holy gently caress is the Mac version expensive. While the PC one is going for 5-10 bucks for just the standalone game, the mac one is still $40-50!

Hehe. I've played Puzzle quest on the DS and Xbox already. Thanks though, keep em coming!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
So, I've never played a Tomb Raider game. Where should I begin?

Is it worth it nowadays to start from the very first game? I still play PS1 games quite a bit, and likely wouldn't be bothered by aspects of the game that haven't aged too well. If not there, then where should I begin? Legend? Anniversary? Will starting with the later games make it difficult for me to go back and play the earlier ones?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Doctor Zero posted:

Hehe. I've played Puzzle quest on the DS and Xbox already. Thanks though, keep em coming!

In that case, I can give you an anti-suggestion. No matter how curious you get, I'd stay away from Puzzle Quest: Galactrix. It's just...not as fun and the writing/story is absolute rear end.

As for me, I've had an inexplicable hankering for a good JRPG on the DS, something to keep me occupied during a five-hour plane trip across the country. I've played and enjoyed Final Fantasy Tactics A2 and both of the Mario & Luigi games, and much as I love Pokemon I think Diamond is enough for me for now (so no HeartGold).

I've had a few I've been eying (most notably Disgaea DS) but I'd love to hear some suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Rocketlex posted:

As for me, I've had an inexplicable hankering for a good JRPG on the DS, something to keep me occupied during a five-hour plane trip across the country. I've played and enjoyed Final Fantasy Tactics A2 and both of the Mario & Luigi games, and much as I love Pokemon I think Diamond is enough for me for now (so no HeartGold).

I've had a few I've been eying (most notably Disgaea DS) but I'd love to hear some suggestions.

The World Ends With You and Strange Journey are solid JRPGs, with TWEWY focusing more on active combat and story-telling, and Strange Journey being more of a Pokemon-like dungeon crawler with a bit of a difficulty curve that can be frustrating without an occasional look at a walkthrough. You got a couple ports of older games, like Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest 4/5 and FF4, which may also be what you are looking for. Other than those, Disgaea, and maybe Fire Emblem, I'm afraid there aren't very many more JRPGs on the DS that are really worth playing. A bunch of them, like Infinite Space or Etrian Odyssey, have really big problems with grinding, unbalanced combat, or just aren't particularly notable. They'll have their defenders, but you can't go wrong with my suggestions.