Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Crayvex posted:

How'd you do this with speeds and all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Jabs posted:

How'd you do this with speeds and all?

http://www.instamapper.com/

It's a free service that uses an iPhone or Droid app to report coordinates every few minutes. I was going to have it on for the entire trip but thanks to Apple not supporting multi-tasking, it was mostly off instead of on.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

Crayvex posted:

http://www.instamapper.com/

It's a free service that uses an iPhone or Droid app to report coordinates every few minutes. I was going to have it on for the entire trip but thanks to Apple not supporting multi-tasking, it was mostly off instead of on.

I might try that on a 1400 mile trip I just decided I was taking in two weeks. I'll have to switch up my music listening over to a mp3 player to keep the droid alive with radio on, though. I cant see it living through a day of pinging the tower in the BFE stretches in New Mexico, if there's even CDMA coverage at all.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

sklnd posted:

I might try that on a 1400 mile trip I just decided I was taking in two weeks. I'll have to switch up my music listening over to a mp3 player to keep the droid alive with radio on, though. I cant see it living through a day of pinging the tower in the BFE stretches in New Mexico, if there's even CDMA coverage at all.

Why don't you just hook up a 12v adapter and a car charger?

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

redscare posted:

Why don't you just hook up a 12v adapter and a car charger?

I will, actually, but my 12v socket is on the rear of the bikes luggage rack, so my phone will have to live back there when charging.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

sklnd posted:

I will, actually, but my 12v socket is on the rear of the bikes luggage rack, so my phone will have to live back there when charging.

Get an extension cord run it under your seat and tank so you can have the phone in your tankbag or where it is convenient.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

sklnd posted:

On my trip, I used a combination of Google Latitude + Spotwalla(.com) and Trip Journal.

Seconding the extended accessory cord.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Jabs posted:

On my trip, I used a combination of Google Latitude + Spotwalla(.com) and Trip Journal.

Seconding the extended accessory cord.

No music = LONGEST RIDE EVER

I powered my GPS and my iPhone through an adapter I rigged up to my tank bag. Worked great for me.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Crayvex posted:

No music = LONGEST RIDE EVER
Oh, god. This is the truth!
I made it 81 miles with nothing in my ears at all. I bought headphones in Bowie, TX, and lasted probably another 50 miles using them just as earplugs before I turned music on in Wichita Falls.
The other 570 miles seemed as long as the first 130.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

I've never seen a track day at PIR with bikes, so I pretty much only count Firebird. Is Inde the one that opened like last month? I live(d) about 10 miles from Firebird so I used to ride over there in race plastics with a plate ziptied to my camelback. :v: Not feeling trailering 5-7hrs for a trackday at this point.

Yeah, Inde's over by Wilcox. It's a pretty sweet track though, there's the layout.

We ought to just go ahead and have a full on goon track day come winter when the tracks reopen. It'd be pretty swell.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

NipplesTheCat posted:

Yeah, Inde's over by Wilcox. It's a pretty sweet track though, there's the layout.

We ought to just go ahead and have a full on goon track day come winter when the tracks reopen. It'd be pretty swell.

Oh my god that track looks awesome :swoon:. I might have to change up my plans to go to Sandia raceway and hit that instead.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NipplesTheCat posted:

That looks fukkking awesome, too bad it's far. :( That new Chuckwalla place looks interesting and it seems to be about the same travel time from here.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

needknees posted:

Oh my god that track looks awesome :swoon:. I might have to change up my plans to go to Sandia raceway and hit that instead.

Trackdays start up again there in September, though I think some orgs are doing race schools and stuff during the summer. It just gets so loving hot in Arizona that nobody wants to do track days, sitting in full leathers in ~110F heat is not most people's idea of fun.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

NipplesTheCat posted:

a map of a track

:fap: Goddamn that looks like fun on a bike or in my shifter kart.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I have to eat my words today. Everyone on the R6 forums told me that their wrists hurt for weeks after a long ride. I bragged that my wrists felt fine 24 hours after the ride... and they did... until I rode the bike to work today. Holy crap does my right wrist hurt! Remember that Vista Cruise that I said sucked? It worked great this morning. 800 MG of Ibuprofen is now coursing through my system.

I hate getting old.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

sklnd posted:

Oh. See I have mine on the handlebars so that I can run the adapter wire to whatever it is I'm charging (phone, mp3 player, gps)

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Just put a Sundowner tint strip on my visor. This thing is great, I was looking for a dual sport helmet because my ride home after work always has the sun in my eyes. Iron Pony only had the $300 Icon in some ugly rear end blue design and not in my size. A sales person showed me these tint strips that adhere to the visor, no glue, they just stick. Got home and tried it and drat if it doesn't work well. The best thing is it only cost about $4 at the brick & mortar, I'd have to fuckup a shitload of these before it would cost as much as a new helmet.
http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydir...REET%20PRODUCTS

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Retarded Pimp posted:

Just put a Sundowner tint strip on my visor.

I just use black electrical tape at the top and outside of the visor.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Had a dream last night that CA had a giant group ride/rally, and we were all swapping bikes. I borrowed someone's KLR650 and went hooning around in a big muddy field. Awesome.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Well, I rode to Willow Springs and back yesterday (~400 miles) while following some of the advice here and wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as I've been.
Mostly what I did was move around a lot and took three Aleve before I left.
I was not exactly in tip top shape upon my return but I wasn't ready to run it into a divider just to end the trip which is usually the case.
I also ordered one of those Throttlemeister things off of eBay but it didn't make it in time unfortunately. My wrist was one thing that wasn't too happy by the time I got home.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Yesterday i went with my girlfriend up the old road with her group of friends, with about two other girls in the group. I was keen to see how they rode.
The lead girl took off on her VTR pretty quickly and i was keen to chase. So off i went and the pace was hot. I had a blast.
The DRZ was pinned, 5th was too tall. i had to bounce the limiter in 4th everywhere to keep up with this girl. I was hot on her tail when the corners got tight though.
Big mistake when my girlfriend showed up and she was angrier than a bull.
We're broken up as of now

I'm such a kid when im on the SM.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Jharkov posted:

Yesterday i went with my girlfriend up the old road with her group of friends, with about two other girls in the group. I was keen to see how they rode.
The lead girl took off on her VTR pretty quickly and i was keen to chase. So off i went and the pace was hot. I had a blast.
The DRZ was pinned, 5th was too tall. i had to bounce the limiter in 4th everywhere to keep up with this girl. I was hot on her tail when the corners got tight though.

Whoops!

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Wow, sucks your girl got so pissed at you!

A girl I regularly ride with is FAST. Like fast as in she was out of sight on a twisty road and had to pull over to wait for me twice. Not so bad normally as I don't consider myself a super fast rider but she was on a N250 and I was riding my GS700. I don't even go out on twisty roads with her if she's on her Tuono.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That sucks, time to hook up with the chick you were chasing. ;)

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
anyone know the service intervals of the husaberg and husky super motos, the 510 variety? More of them are poping up on CL for just a bit more then the DR-Z and I was wondering if they were worth it but I hear the service is more frequent.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Jharkov posted:

Really? Why? Because you were literally chasing another girl, or because you left her behind?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Doctor Zero posted:

Really? Why? Because you were literally chasing another girl, or because you left her behind?

Because his previous squeeze was too slow.

He dumped her slow rear end

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jharkov posted:

Eh she was kind of an idiot anyways, I think it'll be ok ;)

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Eh she was kind of an idiot anyways, I think it'll be ok ;)

You can't say that! What if they get back togather? It's going to all akward on CA because you tlaked poo poo about his girl.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Zool posted:

You can't say that! What if they get back togather? It's going to all akward on CA because you tlaked poo poo about his girl.

S'alright, I already talked poo poo in e/n.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

stgdz posted:

anyone know the service intervals of the husaberg and husky super motos, the 510 variety? More of them are poping up on CL for just a bit more then the DR-Z and I was wondering if they were worth it but I hear the service is more frequent.

I have a Husky 450 (same as 510 just smaller bore) and it's a blast. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Oil changes every 300 miles, valve checks every 1000 and I'm constantly dumping mineral oil to feed the hydraulic clutch, but it's all easy easy work. There are guys who have had to rebuild twice in under 5k miles and guys with 20k on them with no big problems. There is always going to be that worry in the back of your mind that the motor will blow, but supposedly a rebuild can be done for around $700. If it's going to be your only bike and you want to be able to ride it always, a DRZ would be a better choice, but if you want a second bike that's made for riding like an rear end in a top hat, or don't mind a work on it, ride it, work on it kinda bike, a high end supermoto is it. I've been thinking about selling my Ninja, just to have money in the bank should the Husky go.

Jharkov I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like you dumped her dumped her.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Is this old news?

Ottawa Hills officer gets 10 years in shooting of motorcyclist

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100621/NEWS02/100629970

quote:

A former Ottawa Hills police officer was sentenced to 10 years in prison Monday for the shooting of a motorcyclist during a May, 2009, traffic stop.

Thomas White, 27, was convicted May 14 in Lucas County Common Pleas Court of felonious assault with a gun specification for the shooting of Michael McCloskey, Jr. A jury deliberated for about six hours after a week-long trial before reaching a verdict.

Following sentencing, White posted a $100,000 bond and was released from custody Monday afternoon pending his appeal of the case. Assistant prosecutors opposed the bond.

Judge Gary Cook sentenced White to seven years in prison for the felonious assault charge plus an additional mandatory three years for the gun specification.

The judge acknowledged White's past in law enforcement and the difficult job of police officers. But he said that White did not take the time to assess the situation so that he understood what he was encountering.

"You didn't even give it a second to take a breath and look at what was going on and for that a tragedy occurred," Judge Cook said.

Mr. McCloskey, 25, was paralyzed from the waist down after being shot in the back while stopped on his motorcycle at Indian Road and Central Avenue. The incident was recorded on the dashboard camera in White's patrol vehicle and played for the jury.

In a lengthy statement made before his sentencing, White defended his actions saying he acted in the way he was trained to do. He said he was "at a loss" to understand how a police officer was indicted on criminal charges "because of a split-second decision."

"On May 23, 2009, I performed and fulfilled the duties required by my oath of office as an Ohio peace officer for the Village of Ottawa Hills," he said. "…I recognize that Mr. McCloskey's injuries are unfortunate but I did what I was required to do, by law and by my oath of office."

White did not offer an apology during his statement and shook his head while Judge Cook explained that he should have taken the time to better assess the situation.

Mr. McCloskey, who is paralyzed from the waist down and in a wheelchair, began crying when he heard the sentence. He did not speak at the sentencing because he had recently been released from the hospital and did not feel able.

After the sentencing, he expressed gratitude to the assistant prosecutors Jeff Lingo and J. Christopher Anderson for their work on the case and for the support in the community. He then explained his tears were a result of all the "uncontrollable emotions" that had piled up over the year.
"I'm starting to find words," he said, adding that finally he feels that there has been "justice."

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

eviljelly posted:

Is this old news?

Ottawa Hills officer gets 10 years in shooting of motorcyclist

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100621/NEWS02/100629970

Holy poo poo, the amount of idiocy and the complete lack of remorse in his closing statement is astounding.

3 seconds of "bad poo poo happens" and the rest is him saying that he was totally, completely right. What a useless fuckhead. I hope he rots in there, maybe he'll figure out what the gently caress he did wrong that day.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Z3n posted:

Holy poo poo, the amount of idiocy and the complete lack of remorse in his closing statement is astounding.

3 seconds of "bad poo poo happens" and the rest is him saying that he was totally, completely right. What a useless fuckhead. I hope he rots in there, maybe he'll figure out what the gently caress he did wrong that day.

I'm sure cops are well liked by prisoners, too, so that should make things real easy for him.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Gnaghi posted:

Jharkov I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like you dumped her dumped her.

Exactly my thoughts. I left her behind but hell, i didn't expect her to be that angry. Maybe its for the best.
I'd almost prefer a girlfriend who doesn't ride so im not forced to ride slow all the time. Yeah im a selfish bastard :P
But i just went out with this quirky thai chick last night and i reckon it'll be cool to take her on a pillion ride... But hang on. Ive only got a DRZ :(

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Jharkov posted:

Exactly my thoughts. I left her behind but hell, i didn't expect her to be that angry. Maybe its for the best.
I'd almost prefer a girlfriend who doesn't ride so im not forced to ride slow all the time. Yeah im a selfish bastard :P
But i just went out with this quirky thai chick last night and i reckon it'll be cool to take her on a pillion ride... But hang on. Ive only got a DRZ :(

You could find a girl that, you know, can actually ride worth a poo poo and keep up

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jharkov posted:

DRZs have passenger pegs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm possibly selling my car this weekend which means I'll have a little cash to have some fun with. I'm thinking an FCR plus some additional convenience farkles (rear rack, wider pegs, maybe some other stuff) for the DRZ are in order.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Z3n posted:

DRZs have passenger pegs.

Mine doesn't.
Though i have some on the way i got on ebay. But im having doubts about it as a pillion ride, what with that loud MRD blasting away at the ear.
Wouldn't mind a smooth quiet roadie sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

eviljelly posted:

I'm sure cops are well liked by prisoners, too, so that should make things real easy for him.

He'll do 100% of his time in solitary confinement.