Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkDude98
Jul 22, 2007
Got Madden 09 for cheap for the 360. Been trying to play it but I suck, badly. Partly due to knowing nothing about American Football and partly due to just sucking at the game.

I can never seem to gain more than a couple of yards at most as my passes never come off, either not caught or intercepted. And when I'm defending (it's called that right?) I can rarely get them to the 4th down nor get the ball off them. All the plays I can choose from mean nothing to me so I generally just do "Ask Madden" and pick the first one there.

Any general tips on how to stop losing games like 40-0?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DarkDude98 posted:

Got Madden 09 for cheap for the 360. Been trying to play it but I suck, badly. Partly due to knowing nothing about American Football and partly due to just sucking at the game.

I can never seem to gain more than a couple of yards at most as my passes never come off, either not caught or intercepted. And when I'm defending (it's called that right?) I can rarely get them to the 4th down nor get the ball off them. All the plays I can choose from mean nothing to me so I generally just do "Ask Madden" and pick the first one there.

I'm honestly pretty surprised you decided to pick up Madden 09. It should have a training mode/"Madden IQ" to get you more comfortable with the mechanics and accurately adjust the difficulty to your skill.

As a basic thing though, play on easy at first and pick a team who is ridiculously dominating in that years edition. Choices include Steelers, Patriots, Colts, Chargers. Take them into training and sit their dicking around with them, going through plays on both offense and defense.

Understand that most American/Association Football (Hereafter Gridiron) is about 10 yard or less plays. Hell, a successful play is anything that nets 3 or better yards. On 4th down you should punt if you are on your half of the field. If you've made it to your opponents you should usually go for it. If you are within about 30+ yards on a 4th, kick a field goal.

For rushing, its a matter of picking rush plays, having a strong rusher, and looking for open holes in the defense.

For passing, look for plays that have a longer developing route and a quicker bail-out (option). Routes are the arrows on the play-book and indicate the way which the receiver will run during the play. One reason you are likely to get intercepted a lot is throwing the ball too early or too late into the route the receiver runs. Typically routes which have a hook/curl or a sharp L shape need the ball delivered as they change directions. Its in that moment the receiver and quarterback have more information than the safety (man defending the pass) and can basically get a clear line on the throw.

On defense, which you were correct to call it, Gridiron is a game of prediction and knowing your opponents skills. For instance, if you are playing a rush heavy team you'll want to pick plays that put more down line-men (basically front line defense) and have the cornerbacks (intermediate range defenders) play in closer. On a pass heavy team you move out a little bit in the hopes of breaking up routes or avoiding a pass that goes over the last defenders head.

Basically; Gridiron unlike pretty much every other sport out there is about information. Every man on your team is going to be good at their position and their position only. Every play benefits certain offensive or defensive strategies to the exclusion of others. Balancing your talents against the opponents weaknesses with a little pizzaz is the name of the game.

If you have any other questions pertaining to the sport feel free to ask.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 20, 2010

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Alright, talk to me about Fallout 2 guys. I played and beat the first one a while back, though I had to constantly ask questions and follow guides because the game wasn't very clear. I'm hoping for a better experience in 2, but I guess I'll just have to see how it goes. So, any starting tips/character builds/advice I should know before hand? I'm not really interested in doing weird/funny things like beating Fallout 1 with nothing but charisma, I just want what is the easiest build for someone who wants to play normally (in my opinion, a Sniper was the ideal build in Fallout 1 for example).

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
I just got the Megaman Zero collection for DS. I know you're not supposed to use the elves if you want the good ending, anything else I need to know? If I get a game over should I be using the retries or do you only get 3 per save file or something?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Spermando posted:

For Silent Hill: Homecoming:

To expand on this:

There are two major choice in the game. Like Spermando said, make a save before you have to make the first one, and then make another save before the second. There is a third, less significant choice near the end that only factors into two of the endings, so make a third save at the start of the last level, The Lair.

Then, after you got your first ending, you can look up how to get the others and play with your saves to get all five. One ending gets you a special gun, the rest just get achievements/costumes, so if this is a rental you can skip all of this.

The guide I read recommended to make multiple saves in multiple slots, because he ran into a lot of glitches. I didn't get anything bad, but you might be less lucky. A rule I followed was to save on a different slot whenever I entered a new area, and do overwrite the oldest slot when I ran out of room.

Each of six weapons in the game has an upgraded version you can find. They aren't essential, but they help out. One you get in a cutscene, and one is in the basement of your house later on.

There is a powerful rifle you can get, but it's very easy to miss. Later in the game, you'll be gearing up to infiltrate a prison. Before you do, you'll be wandering the streets. If you search around, you can get jewels for a puzzle in the cemetery, and that gets you the rifle. If you go to the prison it's lost forever.

The game is very combat focused, but that doesn't mean you have to kill everything. If you can run, run.

Your guns have an ammo limit, so use them (on tough enemies.) If you save them just for bosses, you'll be passing up ammo. It's not as generous as an FPS though, so make your shots count.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
I got Resonance of Fate, any tips? This feels like the type of game where I could be missing stuff if I'm not careful.

Jax 57 or Jist Bgiu
Jul 19, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Requesting help on Megaman 10. I beat 9 (and felt cool as gently caress) but this game is really out of control. It's Megaman, so I'm assuming I'm not really missing anything but gently caress! - the minibosses are harder than anything I remember in 9. Is it just really hard?

Didja Redo
Jan 24, 2010

Wanna try my freedom meat BBQ meat?

Corridor posted:

Thank you, this looks useful.

I like your Riviera thread.

:3:

Nate RFB posted:

So, any starting tips/character builds/advice I should know before hand?

1. Small Guns will always serve you well. You'll also need it (and a high Perception and Agility) to qualify for one of the best perks in the game.

2. The Throwing skill is poo poo.

3. The "Gifted" trait is pretty awesome. The hit to your skills might seem significant, but bear in mind that not all the skills are actually useful anyway. Having a decent intelligence stat will also ease the pain.

4. Do not skimp on Luck. You will get hosed over.

5. Don't be afraid to buy stuff. Provided you explore a lot and complete side quests, you'll end up with more gear than you're ever going to use anyway.

6. Certain versions of the game have the children removed. If you're in a town called "The Den" and you don't see kids running around, you need the "Children Patch", which can be found here. (This is important because the absence of children makes a certain quest impossible to finish.)

7. WHEN YOU FINISH THE TEMPLE OF TRIALS, TALK TO THE VILLAGE ELDER. SHE WILL GIVE YOU A FLASK AND A JUMPSUIT. KEEP THEM.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is there a way to check what version of the game I have? I have a Fallout 1 and 2 sort of double pack that I got a couple years back.

Furthermore, there seem to be a lot of patches. Any sort of definitive list of ones I should consider installing, both official and unofficial? I knew about the children patch beforehand (though not whether I'd need it or not), and figure I should try the high res patch as well, but there are a plethora of mods and such as well.

E: Looks like I have 1.02d.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 21, 2010

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

Nate RFB posted:

Alright, talk to me about Fallout 2 guys. I played and beat the first one a while back, though I had to constantly ask questions and follow guides because the game wasn't very clear. I'm hoping for a better experience in 2, but I guess I'll just have to see how it goes. So, any starting tips/character builds/advice I should know before hand? I'm not really interested in doing weird/funny things like beating Fallout 1 with nothing but charisma, I just want what is the easiest build for someone who wants to play normally (in my opinion, a Sniper was the ideal build in Fallout 1 for example).

Party members are much more useful in Fallout 2, because you can actually give them weapons and armor without doing any reverse pickpocketing poo poo. In Klamath, you can get a new party member named Sulik, he's a crazy tribal dude with a bone in his nose and he's a big help early on. Don't give him (or any other party members) burst-firing weapons though, unless you enjoy getting smeared into a thin paste by friendly fire. :gibs:

You can get a car which makes overworld travel much faster and easier. It uses small energy cells and microfusion cells as fuel, which are quite plentiful later in the game.

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

I remember there was only one real good Dynasty Warriors game, which one was it?

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Rekkit posted:

I remember there was only one real good Dynasty Warriors game, which one was it?

Samurai Warriors 2.

To be slightly more helpful, all of them are pretty much exactly the same drat game, with varying levels of silliness involved in unlocking things. SW2 is probably the most fun without being ridiculous or easy, like the Warriors Orochi games, which are still very fun, and have ten bajillion characters, which is pretty much the point of the series. So there's still something to be said for them.

If you wanted a Dynasty Warriors game specifically, though, DW3 plus the expansion pack was my favorite, but if you can't find the expansion, DW5. Other than that, SW2+expansion, and the two Warriors Orochi, and you will have months and months of enjoyable number grinding.

BigTeaBag
Dec 9, 2004
The Matrix is about black chicks.
Not really a gameplay question, but I was thinking about buying Fallout 3. Is the GOTY worth it or would it be better to buy the regular version and some/none of the DLC?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BigTeaBag posted:

Not really a gameplay question, but I was thinking about buying Fallout 3. Is the GOTY worth it or would it be better to buy the regular version and some/none of the DLC?

If you buy it solo, you will kick yourself if you don't get Broken Steel. Don't even consider it an expansion, consider it part of the game that you can for some stupid reason skip out on.

Point Lookout is an excellent expansion with new terrain, a fun set of missions, unique loot, and decently sized.

The Pit is shorter than Point Lookout, has less new features, and a couple of missions.

Mothership Zeta and Operation Anchorage are corridor shooters that aren't very long and ad completely unbalanced equipment.

Ask yourself what thats worth to you. Most likely the difference between a new copy+broken steel v GOTY is negligible so go with GOTY.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

BigTeaBag posted:

I enjoyed all the DLC. I would say;
1. BS
2. MZ
3. OA
4. TP
5. PL

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

Jax 57 or Jist Bgiu posted:

Requesting help on Megaman 10. I beat 9 (and felt cool as gently caress) but this game is really out of control. It's Megaman, so I'm assuming I'm not really missing anything but gently caress! - the minibosses are harder than anything I remember in 9. Is it just really hard?

It is pretty hard. There's an easy mode if you can't take the heat. And Hard mode for whenever you finish normal.

The game has a second challenge mode. But really that's just training. IF you're having problems with the main game, it might do you some good to give that a shot.

I'll refrain form posting the boss/weapon weaknesses unless you request it specifically. But here are some general weapon tips:

Water Pump (or whatever Pump Man's weapon is called) is extremely broken in how it tears through mini bosses. Press B again to release the remaining shield bits. But all the cool kids just stand close enough to things so the orbiting shield hits many times in quick succession.

Blade man's weapon is can be used like a shotgun to kill large enemies quickly. The blades will travel downward if fired in the air.

The wheel can be used to climb walls, it's disappointing that this is never required.

About half the weapons are most effective when used indirectly.

- Chill Spike will does the most damage if an enemy passes over the spikes that form when it hits the ground.

- Commando bomb does minimal damage on a direct hit. You want the shockwave that is created on impact to hit your target. If you time it right a shockwave can hit twice.

- Ditto for Thunder wool. only instead of the shockwave, you want the lighting bolt that descends after the cloud reaches a certain height to hit your target.

- Rebound striker gets stronger for every wall it bounces off of. It can also be aimed either 45 above or below the horizontal.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Barudak posted:

If you buy it solo, you will kick yourself if you don't get Broken Steel. Don't even consider it an expansion, consider it part of the game that you can for some stupid reason skip out on.

Point Lookout is an excellent expansion with new terrain, a fun set of missions, unique loot, and decently sized.

The Pit is shorter than Point Lookout, has less new features, and a couple of missions.

Mothership Zeta and Operation Anchorage are corridor shooters that aren't very long and ad completely unbalanced equipment.

Ask yourself what thats worth to you. Most likely the difference between a new copy+broken steel v GOTY is negligible so go with GOTY.

I got a used copy of FO3 for 17.99 at Gamestop, while their used copies of the GOTY version were $55.00. If you plan to get all the expansions youd save money with the GOTY version, but not much.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Bigass Moth posted:

I got a used copy of FO3 for 17.99 at Gamestop, while their used copies of the GOTY version were $55.00. If you plan to get all the expansions youd save money with the GOTY version, but not much.

Unless you're getting it for PC, you're wrong.

I work at Gamestop, and we have people who, daily, will come in, buy the installable Expansion Pack set for the 360, come back 2 hours later, and return it for a full refund.

You would think that Microsoft would have known by now.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

DarkDude98 posted:

Seems like Barudak gave you some good advice. I don't play Madden, so I can't offer any advice as it specifically relates to how to manage your team in-game, but I played ball at a high level in college and spent 2 years coaching high school, so I can offer some general advice to help you understand the game a bit more. Sorry if this seems fragmented, I'm just typing whatever comes to mind first.

The most basic aspect of success in football is proper execution. Every man on the field, whether offense, defense or special teams has a specific role on each play. The success of the play is wildly variable on all sorts of factors sometimes outside the control of the players on the field. Despite this, plays can very often succeed if all 11 men execute their specified role as they are meant to. The varying degrees of success, whether the play goes for 3 yards or 30 yards depends on the defensive call, potential weather situations, etc.

So what this means is that if you call an outside running play (often referred to as a toss, sweep, pitch) every player has a specific job set according to the scheme of the play, in this case it's an outside run. As you'll be controlling the runner, you do not want to deviate from his point of attack, as all your teammates should be executing their assignments to allow your attempt to succeed in the designated manner the play calls for.

To extrapolate the idea of executing assignments to players on either side of the ball, football really comes down to tackling and blocking, or opening holes (on offense) and closing holes (on defense).

On the LoS (line of scrimmage) each space inbetween the offensive lineman is referred to as a hole (defenses usually refer to these spaces as gaps.) Each offensive run play attacks one of these specific holes. A good offense will be able to consistently open holes and a good defense will consistently close these holes. Each defender has a responsibility for a specific gap (sometimes 2 gaps depending on the defensive scheme) and must defeat the offensive player assigned to prevent him from getting to his gap, or the gap in which the offense is attacking.

Passing is similar to this basic concept. Defenses can either play a zone or man style of coverage (sometimes a mix of both.) Attacking zones can be done accomplished by "flooding" the zone with more receivers than can be covered by defenders, or by attacking soft areas on the field inbetween the zones of defenders. Attacking man coverage relies more on technique and route combos. This can be a little more complicated, but the general idea is that on a route which takes you to the sidelines such as an out, the offensive player wants to gain outside leverage on the defender (the receiver has body position between the defender and the QB's target.) A simple way to defeat poor man coverage is to run crossing routes to bump or confuse defenders.

I'm pretty sure Madden assigns the preferred defense/offense for whichever team you select to play with. If I am to simplify the crap out of defense, there are 2 major alignments. the 4-3 (4 down lineman & 3 linebackers), and 3-4 (3 down lineman & 4 linebackers.) Each style requires players with different abilities to be run successfully. Linemen in a 3-4 are usually responsible for 2 gaps, they are usually a lot bigger than 4-3 lineman. Most of your pass rush in a 3-4 will be generated via blitzing of linebackers. Linebackers (good ones anyway) must be versatile enough to stop the run, cover receivers and rush the QB. Outside linebackers in a 3-4 are usually quite adept as pass rushing. Basically this was a really long winded way of telling you to stick to a defense which is suited to your players abilities. Once you gain some confidence and understanding you can experiment around. Additionally, nickel means that you are removing a linebacker to insert an additional player in the secondary, and dime means you are removing another player to insert one in the secondary. These formations are used when you anticipate a pass.

This already a wall of text so I'll stop there. I have no idea how much of that will pertain to the actual gameplay of Madden, but a better understanding of football should definitely help. If you have any other questions, or you don't understand something I posted just ask.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Bit of an oldie, but what should I know before starting up the original King's Quest?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Capsaicin posted:

Unless you're getting it for PC, you're wrong.

I work at Gamestop, and we have people who, daily, will come in, buy the installable Expansion Pack set for the 360, come back 2 hours later, and return it for a full refund.

You would think that Microsoft would have known by now.

Thank you for this.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
This might not be the correct thread for this question, but I hope it's close enough.
Is the "Epilogue" DLC for Prince of Persia 2008 worth the price? Does the DLC have a satisfactory ending, or are you just awarded with another cliffhanger?

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Renoistic posted:

This might not be the correct thread for this question, but I hope it's close enough.
Is the "Epilogue" DLC for Prince of Persia 2008 worth the price? Does the DLC have a satisfactory ending, or are you just awarded with another cliffhanger?
It's another cliffhanger. The prince does explain his reasoning for doing what he did at the end of the original game in the DLC, but the overall plot doesn't move forward much at all. It's pretty much just a tiny bit of setup for the inevitable sequel.

As for whether it's worth it, that depends on how much you enjoyed the original game. I personally thought it was one of the best games released that year, and I didn't mind paying the price, but if you just thought it was just average or decent, you're probably not going to get much more out of the DLC.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

I just picked up Civilization III: Gold Edition on the cheap. Any advice? I checked the wiki, but there's only stuff for Civ4 and Revolutions.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Hannibal Smith posted:

It's another cliffhanger. The prince does explain his reasoning for doing what he did at the end of the original game in the DLC, but the overall plot doesn't move forward much at all. It's pretty much just a tiny bit of setup for the inevitable sequel.

As for whether it's worth it, that depends on how much you enjoyed the original game. I personally thought it was one of the best games released that year, and I didn't mind paying the price, but if you just thought it was just average or decent, you're probably not going to get much more out of the DLC.

Thanks for the info! Too bad there probably won't be a sequel. I did enjoy the game, though, so I might pick it up anyway. Do you collect light seeds again or is it just a linear thrill ride? How long should it take to finish it?

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Renoistic posted:

Thanks for the info! Too bad there probably won't be a sequel. I did enjoy the game, though, so I might pick it up anyway. Do you collect light seeds again or is it just a linear thrill ride? How long should it take to finish it?
There are no light seeds and it's completely linear. The entire DLC takes place in a corrupted area too, there's no wiping away the darkness like there was in the main game. It's been awhile but I'm pretty sure it's somewhere around 2 hours to complete, give or take.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

(On Morrowind)
Try to find an athletic trainer and run everywhere. Boost Strength at level up for more Fatigue. You're weak as poo poo when you start out unless you cheese character creation to the max, and even then, you'll just be decent, so just keep training at all the skills you want to use.

How do you cheese character creation exactly?

Borderlands
I'm not finding this game that fun, mainly because the bosses are awfully designed. Any tips for this? Playing as a soldier, using revolver, shotgun, sniper combo atm, with leech grenades. Currently stuck fighting the horrible shielded brute which is wiping my shields in one hit and then two shotting me whilst i'm barely scratching his health.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Polite Tim posted:

How do you cheese character creation exactly?

Borderlands
I'm not finding this game that fun, mainly because the bosses are awfully designed. Any tips for this? Playing as a soldier, using revolver, shotgun, sniper combo atm, with leech grenades. Currently stuck fighting the horrible shielded brute which is wiping my shields in one hit and then two shotting me whilst i'm barely scratching his health.

Why do you have a Sniper/Hunter loadout as a soldier? You don't get the damage bonuses and soliders with assault rifles are loving scary.

I don't know if this will help your current situation, but it might help you overall to try and use the characters perferred weapon loadouts.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Polite Tim posted:

Borderlands

As a soldier, you should be using assault rifles. I found all the skill points in the left-most tree to be the most useful (plenty of assault rifle and shotgun related skills). You'll eventually find assault rifles with low magazine size (~12 shots) that fire very high rate-of-fire, very accurate 3-rounds bursts, and they're great for dealing tons of damage in mid-range combat as long as you aim for the head. Use shotguns to finish off enemies that get close.
Also, as a soldier, use that turret you have. Use it all the loving time. Even if it doesn't kill enemies outright, it's invaluable to keep enemies busy and prevent them from attacking you while it's active.
Finally, get healing shields. Unless you have a fast-recharging standard shield that has at least 50% more shield capacity than your healing shield, you should probably stick with the healing shield, even during combat (otherwise use the fast-recharging shield in combat and the healing shield once combat is over to regenerate health).

Also check the vendors (gun and medical vendors (for shields) mostly) every time you load the game or you get the "Stores have new inventory" message for the unique items they sell, sometimes you can get pretty drat good equipment that will be useful for ages there.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 22, 2010

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I've been wanting to try out Thief 2X, the mod, and tomorrow I'm finally getting around to it!

So are there any new features I should be aware of? Gadgets that should be avoided? Any particularly unfair/broken mission?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anyone have anything on Infinite Space? I got over the ridiculously hard beginning and I'm getting the hang of baiting and goading enemies in combat but there's a lot I don't understand. Particularly, what are the crew abilities, how do I use them (I put people in the spots I think they're good in but nothing really changes), and is there anything that triggers spotting a phenomena or is it totally random? It's a pretty neat RPG so far but the learning curve is 4 hours long and going.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

al-azad posted:

Anyone have anything on Infinite Space? I got over the ridiculously hard beginning and I'm getting the hang of baiting and goading enemies in combat but there's a lot I don't understand. Particularly, what are the crew abilities, how do I use them (I put people in the spots I think they're good in but nothing really changes), and is there anything that triggers spotting a phenomena or is it totally random? It's a pretty neat RPG so far but the learning curve is 4 hours long and going.

First thing to note is the arrow pointing to the enemy ships in the 2D battlefield display, a lot of people miss that at first. It's actually pointing at the ship you're targeting, and you can press buttons to change it to a different ship. It almost always defaults to the back-most ship, when you actually want to take out ships front to back.

There are different types of crew abilities. There are action abilities, that allow you to do something special in combat. These can only be used if the character is in the 1st officer. At the start of the game, even though she doesn't have the best leadership, it's best to put Kira in the 1st Officer slot, that way she can do her heal move. The other type of crew ability just gives passive bonuses. These basically enhance a stat on your ships if the character with the right ability is in the right slot. Putting someone with Star Engineer in an engineer position will increase your cruise and battle speeds.

The help menu is your best friend. Unfortunately, the poor design means that a lot of help menu options are inaccessible at first and only open up at certain points in the game. Once you can see the spec skills menu option, you can see what each skill does and what you need to do to get the most out of them. The help menu will also tell you what each stat does, what each module does, and all kinds of other extremely useful stuff. Check it often.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Okay, so first officer triggers the skills (I have yet to stick anyone in that spot). I got the hang of combat quick once I learned your ships respawn after combat but if your flagship is destroyed then it's game over. I just hate it 3 dudes get a lucky shot that deals 400+ damage it's ridiculous.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I've checked the last 5 pages and couldn't find anything on it so sorry if this is a repeat. I just got FF9 on psn, any tips I should know about or is it straightforward final fantasy?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

synthy posted:

I've checked the last 5 pages and couldn't find anything on it so sorry if this is a repeat. I just got FF9 on psn, any tips I should know about or is it straightforward final fantasy?

It's pretty straight forward. Of course you can sperg out with any FF game and get everything, but it's a fairly easy game so enjoy the ride.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

synthy posted:

A true sperg-king will reach the final dungeon in less than 12 hours to receive Steiners ultimate weapon.

A more reasonable person will realize that everyone else's ultimate weapon is fairly easy to obtain, and Steiner's second best weapon is more than good enough to carry you through.

Chocobo Hot n Cold has pretty decent rewards, and the plot doesn't make any loving sense until around disc 3/4 ish? Even then, prepare for a surprise out of literally nowhere at the end. Unless you played FF1-3 (not american) religiously and remember every minute detail.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

synthy posted:

http://wsik.centipeed.com/index.php/Site/FinalFantasy9

Have you seen these tips?

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

MrJacobs posted:

Why do you have a Sniper/Hunter loadout as a soldier? You don't get the damage bonuses and soliders with assault rifles are loving scary.

I don't know if this will help your current situation, but it might help you overall to try and use the characters perferred weapon loadouts.

Ah, i didn't realise the weapon loadouts made that much of a difference, will give this a go in that case. I guess i stupidly fell in love with my other weapons and never seem to get many assault rifle drops. Thanks.

Also, tips for FF9, search around for chests wherever you are, as every piece of equipment you get will usually have one or two skills attached that you can learn either immediately, or save for a later character.

A lot of the sidequests are horribly obscure and you'll really need a guide for them (locations of the friendly animals mainly, but you only really need to do them if you're gunning for completely absolutely everything)

most of the QTEs aren't necessary, but most of them are touching or funny, so they're worth watching anyway

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I just started playing Uncharted 2 and I'm really, really bad at it. I got to the jungle part and suddenly I'm fighting like 3-5 guys with AKs and grenades at once who can hit me easily the moment I peak out from behind cover from a hundred feet away. It feels really ridiculous for "normal" difficulty and I'm actually stuck on the part where you sneak into their main building then have to escape because the moment I leave cover I get shot to pieces, and if I stay in cover to try and heal they rush me or grenade me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Sindai posted:

I just started playing Uncharted 2 and I'm really, really bad at it. I got to the jungle part and suddenly I'm fighting like 3-5 guys with AKs and grenades at once who can hit me easily the moment I peak out from behind cover from a hundred feet away. It feels really ridiculous for "normal" difficulty and I'm actually stuck on the part where you sneak into their main building then have to escape because the moment I leave cover I get shot to pieces, and if I stay in cover to try and heal they rush me or grenade me.

I'm not really sure what part of the game you mean (if it's the camp that's the area that gives a lot of people trouble for the first time), but I survived my Crushing run by learning to effectively move between cover. The next step is to be able to scan the enemies and decide who's easiest to pick off. The pistols are fantastic for nailing enemies from far away. Unlike Uncharted 1, the enemies don't magically dodge head shots. Beyond that, if you're still struggling, blindfire with the AK can stop rushing enemies in their tracks.

The name of the game is moving between cover while killing the most vulnerable enemies.

If a grenade lands on the other side of cover from you, you're basically immune to it. Otherwise, move to the end of the cover and try to roll behind new cover. Most areas have at least one place where you can indefinitely roll back and forth between two sets of cover.