Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Mookie posted:

Helpful tip: a fellow lawyer at my firm is dating a plumber (or an electrician, I forget... either way a skilled trade).

He owns a house, a nice car in addition to his work van, and takes her on multi-week vacations to awesome foreign locales.

She owned a condo that was over $100k under water, still has an equal amount in student loan debt that you can't get rid of in bankruptcy, and is generally hosed for life despite working hard at a top-paying biglaw firm.

To add insult to injury, he probably works like 3/4ths or half the hours she works as well. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Mookie, do you think your firm is worth it? (as opposed to some other firm in the same practice area - not just law vs. plumbing)

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

poofactory posted:

7x profit sounds really high. Is that before or after I take my salary and other benefits? I would sell right now either way. Business is stable and has steadily increased over the years. I'd say 15% average growth. No PI stuff to skew the numbers.

Roger - Sorry I'm in Chicago. However, it is 90% immigration and only a 1/3 of that is local.

So what you're saying is you want to take on an unemployed Loyola grad (me) and teach him the ropes of immigration law so that I become experienced enough to buy your practice from you. Right? RIGHT?

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Defleshed posted:

So what you're saying is you want to take on an unemployed Loyola grad (me) and teach him the ropes of immigration law so that I become experienced enough to buy your practice from you. Right? RIGHT?

I'll throw in some money if I can get in on this. Perhaps this is the start to Something Lawful LLC?

OneMinusOne
Apr 3, 2009

There is no magic beyond truth.

HooKars posted:

I'll throw in some money if I can get in on this. Perhaps this is the start to Something Lawful LLC?

I'd get in on this; from New York.

edit: lol I haven't graduated yet gently caress my life.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Defleshed posted:

That and, apparently, a couple million bucks will seal the deal. I will also accept gold in bar or coin form.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

lipstick thespian posted:

Unless that changes, or unless the feds deal out a ringing blow against law school accreditation for the TTT's, you might very well end up with more hungry law school grads in the future, not less. Right now, law schools (and for-profit education in general) is a hugely profitable business.

You realise that the vast majority of law schools are non-profits, right? Like, even the incredibly lovely ones? (all though as with universities in general, the rare for-profit ones are the very shittiest)

I mean, to some extent people are profiting off this, as a lot of law academics are getting significantly cushier jobs than they would otherwise, but not in the way you are implying.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Career services says:

quote:

With regard to GPA and class percentage on your resumes: Our general advice is to include your GPA if it is above a 3.0 and to exclude your GPA if it falls below 3.0. If you indicate your GPA, THERE IS NO ROUNDING UP. For example, if your GPA is a 3.326 you must indicate it as 3.326, 3.32 or 3.3. Our general advice is to indicate class percentage if you are in the top 30%. Should you decide to include your class percentage STATE EXACTLY AS IT IS INDICATED IN THE GRADE DISTRIBUTION CHART PROVIDED BY THE REGISTRAR'S OFFICE.

Employer goons: should I really not round up my hundredths place digit? In that example I would want to put 3.33.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Tetrix posted:

Career services says:

Employer goons: should I really not round up my hundredths place digit? In that example I would want to put 3.33.

umm...

"here is a school rule that says I cannot do x. Can I do x?"

If you want us to say something like "well, it's unlikely anybody will notice," then okay. But it's pretty clearly against your school's policy, according to your post.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I bet that's something that may keep you from passing a character and fitness test for admittance to the bar.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Tetrix posted:

Career services says:

That seems asinine.

My school actually said that we shouldn't have our GPA on our resume at all. Eff that. I worked hard for my 3.6 or whatever, I'm going to put it down.

diospadre posted:

I bet that's something that may keep you from passing a character and fitness test for admittance to the bar.
There is no loving way rounding to the nearest whatever can possibly be considered a character and fitness violation.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Lykourgos posted:

umm...

"here is a school rule that says I cannot do x. Can I do x?"

If you want us to say something like "well, it's unlikely anybody will notice," then okay. But it's pretty clearly against your school's policy, according to your post.

If I did everything exactly like my Career Services office said to I'd probably be dead in a ditch somewhere.

I just want to know if this is common practice anywhere else or just a stupid thing they made up out of nowhere.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.
For those who haven't seen it:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/elena-kagan-asked-straight-up-you-got-what-it-take,17636/

The Onion posted:

WASHINGTON—Saying they didn't want to waste any more time dicking around, members of the U.S. Senate began Elena Kagan's Supreme Court confirmation hearing Monday by asking the solicitor general point-blank if she had the goods to join the nation's highest court. "I got your master's thesis in front of me, I got some speeches you made while you were the dean of Harvard Law School, but Kagan, let's cut the poo poo: You gonna be able to bring it or not?" Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) asked the former Clinton policy adviser. "Because the American people deserve a justice who won't crumble like a cupcake and run home to mommy when Second-Amendment-ruling time comes around." After indicating that she was "loving born ready," Kagan was confirmed in a unanimous 100-0 vote.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

billion dollar bitch posted:

Mookie, do you think your firm is worth it? (as opposed to some other firm in the same practice area - not just law vs. plumbing)

It depends on your definition of "worth it."

People want different stuff out of the biglaw experience- paying back loans, setting themselves up to go inhouse or to the US Attorney, getting some resume shine before going to a smaller firm to take a run at partner, etc.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

poofactory posted:

7x profit sounds really high. Is that before or after I take my salary and other benefits? I would sell right now either way. Business is stable and has steadily increased over the years. I'd say 15% average growth. No PI stuff to skew the numbers.

Well, like I said, that was a long time ago (late nineties). The more recent number was a flat $5,000.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Solomon Grundy posted:

Well, like I said, that was a long time ago (late nineties). The more recent number was a flat $5,000.

Seriously. There are enough small firms folding up their tents lately that it may be wiser to invest in Michael Vick rookie cards.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/22/business/22law.html?hp

"One day next month every student at Loyola Law School Los Angeles will awake to a higher grade point average.

But it’s not because they are all working harder.

The school is retroactively inflating its grades, tacking on 0.333 to every grade recorded in the last few years. The goal is to make its students look more attractive in a competitive job market."

OneMinusOne
Apr 3, 2009

There is no magic beyond truth.

Roger_Mudd posted:

"One day next month every student at Loyola Law School Los Angeles will awake to a higher grade point average.

The school is retroactively inflating its grades, tacking on 0.333 to every grade recorded in the last few years. The goal is to make its students look more attractive in a competitive job market."

what the christ is this poo poo. My school has a hard curve per class where 50% get better than a B- and 50% get worse.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Roger_Mudd posted:

Came here to post this, because it is hilarious.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

you missed the best quote:

quote:

"If somebody’s paying $150,000 for a law school degree, you don’t want to call them a loser at the end,”

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

IrritationX posted:

Seriously. There are enough small firms folding up their tents lately that it may be wiser to invest in Michael Vick rookie cards.

I think this better fits the theme of this thread. I'll start the bidding at one hot sandwich.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!
I applied to a paralegal job asking for 5 years experience at the company that my dad used to work for (and was general counsel for and he submitted my resume to). I was thinking I might actually hear back that I wasn't qualified enough because it required so many years of experience and I only have like 2 years of actual paralegal experience.

Wrong. The person thought it "wouldn't be challenging enough" for me and that "the payscale wouldn't be good enough for me." And my dad said he couldn't disagree (thanks Dad). The job paid about $60k to start and since if I'm honest, I have no real interest in being a lawyer, would have been perfect for me. I can't figure out what kind of job my dad thinks I'll magically get.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

HooKars posted:

I applied to a paralegal job asking for 5 years experience at the company that my dad used to work for (and was general counsel for and he submitted my resume to). I was thinking I might actually hear back that I wasn't qualified enough because it required so many years of experience and I only have like 2 years of actual paralegal experience.

Wrong. The person thought it "wouldn't be challenging enough" for me and that "the payscale wouldn't be good enough for me." And my dad said he couldn't disagree (thanks Dad). The job paid about $60k to start and since if I'm honest, I have no real interest in being a lawyer, would have been perfect for me. I can't figure out what kind of job my dad thinks I'll magically get.

Tell him to quit and get a new job if he's so sure the market is so great. It shouldn't be that hard with his level of experience. If he isn't willing to do that, he could at least take your word for it and not submarine your efforts.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Law Megathread #13: If somebody’s paying $150,000 for a law school degree, you don’t want to call them a loser at the end

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

HooKars posted:

There comes a time, in every woman's life, when she must rise up and curbstomp the gently caress out of her dad.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HooKars posted:

"the payscale wouldn't be good enough for me."

You should ask "is it higher than zero?"

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HooKars posted:

I see that your father wants to put you into therapy. :\

To not get a job because it "wouldn't be challenging enough" or that it doesn't pay enough, when it's a $60k starting salary, would make me froth at the mouth. Your father has seriously done you harm, and he needs to understand that.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

entris posted:

Your father has seriously done you harm, and he needs to understand that.

Well that was their words and reasoning, not his. He just didn't seem to try to persuade them very much which is frustrating since it's one of the few positions where it's not just a cover letter with a few sentences on it. He's retired so he doesn't hold a lot of sway anymore, it's just frustrating for him to talk about how he doesn't disagree with their reasoning. It may sound crazy but I actually don't view challenging, stressful work that you take home with you every night as a good thing.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Jesus loving Christ. I have 40 cases sitting on my desk saying "NO, YOU CAN'T DO THAT", I've produced a way to frame the case to allow for "maybe" but the boss keeps telling me to dig deeper for a way to justify this loving bogus claim that's just going to be summarily judged out.

gently caress law school, gently caress being a lawyer. Don't go, sheer misery.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Tetrix posted:

Career services says:

Round to 3.33.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

HooKars posted:

I've seen this theory even in attorney jobs. I have a friend who has a biglaw job and hates it. He wants to get into state government (Atty General) or the courts (staff attorney). He's had multiple interviews where he's been told they worry he'd be bored or not challenged enough. It's very frustrating for him.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

quepasa18 posted:

I've seen this theory even in attorney jobs. I have a friend who has a biglaw job and hates it. He wants to get into state government (Atty General) or the courts (staff attorney). He's had multiple interviews where he's been told they worry he'd be bored or not challenged enough. It's very frustrating for him.

It happens for in-house interviews too.

"Now you know that unlike at a law firm, there's not really any upward mobility here... you're just 'counsel' forever, right?" etc.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Mookie posted:

It happens for in-house interviews too.

"Now you know that unlike at a law firm, there's not really any upward mobility here... you're just 'counsel' forever, right?" etc.

It's hard to address those types of questions too without sounding like a slacker. You can talk about work-life balance and all that, but it ends up just sounding like you want to work as little as possible and have no goals for the future.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

quepasa18 posted:

It's hard to address those types of questions too without sounding like a slacker. You can talk about work-life balance and all that, but it ends up just sounding like you want to work as little as possible and have no goals for the future.

Just say you understand that and like professional baseball players, you are willing to accept you are in the big league.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
"I like to work diligently and extensively but without the pressure of needing to strive for a more oustanding title/higher payscale/bigger office in an environment where peers work competitively instead of cooperatively. Working hard in what others would call a "dead-end job" is, for me, a rewarding career path where my hard work and teamwork will pay off in a sense of a job well done rather than material success or another notch on one's belt to climb some corporate capitalist's wet-dream of a ladder. After all, the job itself is the reward and the only acknowledgement I need of my accomplishments is the mere retention of my current position."

:smug:

Did I make it too far of a stretch?

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Green Crayons posted:

"I like to work diligently and extensively but without the pressure of needing to strive for a more oustanding title/higher payscale/bigger office in an environment where peers work competitively instead of cooperatively. Working hard in what others would call a "dead-end job" is, for me, a rewarding career path where my hard work and teamwork will pay off in a sense of a job well done rather than material success or another notch on one's belt to climb some corporate capitalist's wet-dream of a ladder. After all, the job itself is the reward and the only acknowledgement I need of my accomplishments is the mere retention of my current position."

:smug:

Did I make it too far of a stretch?

It started off well, and then got into :barf: territory.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
You guys are awful at this.

"When I first set foot in law school, I wanted to be a special panda. Like a lot of other people in law school, I got confused along the way and wound up an unspecial brown bear. However, I've done {X} every chance I could, even my pro bono assignments were mostly X, and I never stopped wanting special panda-ness. I promise to be the bestest special panda ever."

Works for any situation :cool:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
gently caress. Basically the only firm in the area that does admiralty is hiring an articling student. How can I spin my criminal/regulatory experience and course load in a way that won't get me laughed out of there? It doesn't help that my school offers next to no classes in that field.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

gently caress. Basically the only firm in the area that does admiralty is hiring an articling student. How can I spin my criminal/regulatory experience and course load in a way that won't get me laughed out of there? It doesn't help that my school offers next to no classes in that field.

Take a picture of yourself looking like this and clip it to your resume:

That way, they will know that you look like an admiralty lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

builds character posted:

Read and explain Erie and Palsgraf.

edit:

HELEN PALSGRAF, Respondent,
v.
The LONG ISLAND RAILROAD COMPANY, Appellant.

If you're trying to weed him out for being unfit, give him a Federal district court decision related to ERISA. Any case written by Cardozo is actually readable, even if the prose is ornate.

CaptainScraps posted:

Jesus loving Christ. I have 40 cases sitting on my desk saying "NO, YOU CAN'T DO THAT", I've produced a way to frame the case to allow for "maybe" but the boss keeps telling me to dig deeper for a way to justify this loving bogus claim that's just going to be summarily judged out.

gently caress law school, gently caress being a lawyer. Don't go, sheer misery.

This describes about 80% my 5 years as a practicing attorney.

Roger Mudd posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/22/b...s/22law.html?hp

Don't they realize that once they make this public by talking about it to national news sources like the New York Times they've undone all the potential benefit that this move could have given their students? This is almost as stupid as those University of Texas 1Ls publically proclaiming that their school's curriculum was a supposed joke.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 22, 2010