Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

For posterity, George's answering machine message: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ep2htq1qms

I will never get tired of George's gestures during the second "where could I be?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.

Max22 posted:

She was MURDERED -- by JERRY SEINFELD!!

Not only that, he broke Mike's thumbs.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

got dat wmd posted:

The last two seasons are def. a low point
Fairweather fans love saying this but never, ever have the juice to back it up. There was nothing wrong with late-period Seinfeld. I'm as big a fan as anyone and a shitload of my favorite eps are in that interval. You have to know what to appreciate.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

hall n oates mom posted:

Fairweather fans love saying this but never, ever have the juice to back it up. There was nothing wrong with late-period Seinfeld. I'm as big a fan as anyone and a shitload of my favorite eps are in that interval. You have to know what to appreciate.

The later seasons started to get ridiculous and unrealistic. Still funny, but the earlier stuff was all at least plausible. Having a Kenny Rogers' Roasted Chicken sign bathing your entire apartment in red isn't realistic.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Neither is hijacking a nazi limo, killing ancient matriarchs by dissing their toy ponies, turning purple from Tor's homeopathic medicine, foiling a lawsuit with some off-brand balm, or a linen closet packed with Today sponges. Seinfeld was never realistic as a ground rule, that's one of the resons it owns so loving much.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Thenipwax posted:

realism

You do know you're posting in the Seinfeld thread, right?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Thenipwax posted:

The later seasons started to get ridiculous and unrealistic. Still funny, but the earlier stuff was all at least plausible. Having a Kenny Rogers' Roasted Chicken sign bathing your entire apartment in red isn't realistic.

That can't be good for business.

That can't be good for anything.

e: I honestly found the later seasons to be more memorable, a lot of the premises stuck in my head despite the fact I only saw parts of an episode here and there long ago.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 22, 2010

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

That can't be good for business.

That can't be good for anything.

e: I honestly found the later seasons to be more memorable, a lot of the premises stuck in my head despite the fact I only saw parts of an episode here and there long ago.

Agreed completely. The later seasons of the show had great premises and introduced awesome characters like David Puddy.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

hall n oates mom posted:

Neither is hijacking a nazi limo, killing ancient matriarchs by dissing their toy ponies, turning purple from Tor's homeopathic medicine, foiling a lawsuit with some off-brand balm, or a linen closet packed with Today sponges. Seinfeld was never realistic as a ground rule, that's one of the resons it owns so loving much.

I know the show wasn't ever that realistic, but the later seasons just seemed more cartoonish to me. Don't get me wrong, I still love all the seasons, but the later seasons had a more over the top vibe.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

So? It's a character-based comedy, and those character never strayed. 180 episodes of ingenious plotting without more than one or two near story retreads is no small feat. It was certainly handled with much more grace than the Simpsons desperately resorted to in its autumn years, and cartoons don't carry the burden of natural limitations that live action multi-camera shows do.

Fun fact: The Simpsons' 180th episode was the universally maligned "The Principal and the Pauper", aka the 'Armin Tamzarian Story'. Like fuckin' clockwork. :roflolmao:

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 22, 2010

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Thenipwax posted:

I know the show wasn't ever that realistic, but the later seasons just seemed more cartoonish to me. Don't get me wrong, I still love all the seasons, but the later seasons had a more over the top vibe.

One of the funniest parts is that you can sort of see what real life situation was behind most of the story lines and then the show took it to an extreme. It's also why I find season 1-2 of HIMYM so good.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Thenipwax posted:

"You know that's tomato juice."
"Whaa? That looked like milk to me!"

"You know my friend Bob Sacamento?"
"I thought that was Kramer's friend"
"Yeah well he called last night at 3am and we started talking"

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So what was the thing that made you decide you loved the show? For me I was too young to really like a lot of it, until I saw the frogger episode. I think everyone who ever played video games has lost a saved game and knows exactly how George felt.

What was that trucker's problem anyway?

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Klaus Kinski posted:

One of the funniest parts is that you can sort of see what real life situation was behind most of the story lines and then the show took it to an extreme. It's also why I find season 1-2 of HIMYM so good.

I may not be 100% right, but I am pretty sure Larry David was involved in a masturbation contest, quit a job and came back like it never happened, and ate an eclair out of a garbage. I'm iffy on the last one, but I know the first two are true.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

stratdax posted:

"You know my friend Bob Sacamento?"

It's Bob Sacamano :xd:

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
George is essentially Larry David's character on the show. I remember in Curb Your Enthusiasm he said he did the eclair out of the garbage thing himself.

By the way it was still in it's original package thingy and on top of the garbage. It was perfectly fine :colbert:

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Thenipwax posted:

quit a job and came back like it never happened

He did. The job was writing for Saturday Night Live.

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002

ChairMaster posted:

George is essentially Larry David's character on the show. I remember in Curb Your Enthusiasm he said he did the eclair out of the garbage thing himself.

By the way it was still in it's original package thingy and on top of the garbage. It was perfectly fine :colbert:

But it was below the top of the can...

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Also, we had a family BBQ on the weekend and someone mixed up the garbage bag full of pre-packaged snacks with the garbage-garbage bag. So I now have 3-4 bags of potato chips that came out of the garbage.

I'm eating them without shame.

God Bless Larry David.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
This scene blows me away.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXdNgO94rKQ

Jerry does not say a word, while George goes from perfectly calm to completely insane over the course of 1 minute.

George Monologue:
I'll tell you something else-- I'm not even going to ask you.
I want to know, but I'm not gonna ask.
You'll tell me when you feel comfortable.
So what was it, 400?
500?
Did you pay 500 for this?
Over 6?
Can't be 7.
Don't tell me you paid $700 for this jacket.
Did you pay $700 for this jacket? Is that what you are saying to me?
You are sick!
Is that what you paid for this jacket?
Over 700?
What did you pay for this jacket?
I won't say anything.
I want to know what you paid for this jacket.
Oh, my god!
$1,000?
You paid $1,000 for this jacket. Alright fine...
I'm walking out of here right now thinking you paid $1,000 for this jacket unless you tell me different.
Ha-ha! oh!
I'll tell you what. If you don't say anything in the next five seconds, I'll know it was over 1,000.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

SAKU loving KOIVU posted:

Also, we had a family BBQ on the weekend and someone mixed up the garbage bag full of pre-packaged snacks with the garbage-garbage bag. So I now have 3-4 bags of potato chips that came out of the garbage.

I'm eating them without shame.

God Bless Larry David.
That's different though, because bags of chips and similar vaccuum packaging verify their purity by virtue of bag integrity. George's eclair was sitting on an open wrapper, but had a bite out of the opposite end.

I think the real question is who throws out a whole eclair after one bite? What a monster.

All Pig Be Slay
Mar 26, 2002

Speaking of mothers, let me give that oatmeal some brown sugar.

80k posted:

This scene blows me away.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXdNgO94rKQ

Jerry does not say a word, while George goes from perfectly calm to completely insane over the course of 1 minute.

George Monologue:
I'll tell you something else-- I'm not even going to ask you.
I want to know, but I'm not gonna ask.
You'll tell me when you feel comfortable.
So what was it, 400?
500?
Did you pay 500 for this?
Over 6?
Can't be 7.
Don't tell me you paid $700 for this jacket.
Did you pay $700 for this jacket? Is that what you are saying to me?
You are sick!
Is that what you paid for this jacket?
Over 700?
What did you pay for this jacket?
I won't say anything.
I want to know what you paid for this jacket.
Oh, my god!
$1,000?
You paid $1,000 for this jacket. Alright fine...
I'm walking out of here right now thinking you paid $1,000 for this jacket unless you tell me different.
Ha-ha! oh!
I'll tell you what. If you don't say anything in the next five seconds, I'll know it was over 1,000.

Reminded me of the scene in Curb Your Enthusiasm where Larry and Jason Alexander are out to lunch and arguing over the tip. God these guys are just funny as hell. Ill try to find it on youtube.

octothorpopus
Jan 22, 2010

JUST KEEP PLAYING!!!

Dr_Amazing posted:

So what was the thing that made you decide you loved the show? For me I was too young to really like a lot of it, until I saw the frogger episode. I think everyone who ever played video games has lost a saved game and knows exactly how George felt.

I'd have to say either The Contest, the one where Jerry and Kramer switch apartments, or probably some other episode with a big Kramer presence.

I did enjoy the Frogger episode myself, but I only remember seeing that segment where George is trying to cross the street back in the '90s. Probably when the show was still on the air, too.

seregrail7
Nov 3, 2006
I really like how in the Curb episode, George had created an iPhone app that told you the best(or nearest?) toilet anywhere in the world. A nice callback to the episode where Kramer works in that office. George can tell him the best toilet anywhere you are in the city.

"He knows."

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

seregrail7 posted:

I really like how in the Curb episode, George had created an iPhone app that told you the best(or nearest?) toilet anywhere in the world.
It was the "nearest acceptable toilet."

Also, I have way more of a problem with the season 1/2 episodes than the later season ones. Although, I am biased because season 7 is around when I was old enough to start watching them as they aired.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

So how many of you did your own contest with your friends? I won mine :smug:

(but I cheated)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cuban Chowder Factory posted:

But it was below the top of the can...

Adjacent to refuse - is refuse!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Dr_Amazing posted:

He looks like a frog.

And "Slippery Pete" is one of my favorite names for their one-off characters.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

DrBouvenstein posted:

He looks like a frog.

So do you.

quote:

What helps is that he's played by Peter Stormare, who almost always plays the same character because, drat it, he's so good at it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

So how many of you did your own contest with your friends? I won mine :smug:

(but I cheated)

There was an SA Contest a few years ago. It was horrible.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

DrBouvenstein posted:

He looks like a frog.
I think he meant the driver of the big rig that callously plowed through the Frogger without even slowing.

Schlomo actually appears earlier in "The Muffin Tops" in one of Kramer's reality tours. The unhelpful parking lot attendant from "The Wig Master" shows up to as a dump supervisor. He also looks like the Indian Jon Stewart.

"Can't do it."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'll take the job!

Potato Salad!

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything

DrBouvenstein posted:

He looks like a frog.

"Believe me George, you can count on Slipper Pete". Executed in true Kramer fashion.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Pooned posted:

"Believe me George, you can count on Slipper Pete". Executed in true Kramer fashion.

Where are the holes?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dr_Amazing posted:

So what was the thing that made you decide you loved the show?

Probably seeing George come waddling screaming into Jerry's living room with his pants around his ankles as Kramer answers the phone, crashing to the ground and Jerry walking in, staring down at him and saying,"And YOU want to be my latex salesman...."

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

hall n oates mom posted:

I think he meant the driver of the big rig that callously plowed through the Frogger without even slowing.

Schlomo actually appears earlier in "The Muffin Tops" in one of Kramer's reality tours. The unhelpful parking lot attendant from "The Wig Master" shows up to as a dump supervisor. He also looks like the Indian Jon Stewart.

"Can't do it."

I think it's supposed to be the same guy though, isn't he wearing a Jiffy Park shirt in both occasions?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

It is the same guy, I wasn't implying that either of them were recast. Simply changed jobs for a quick, precise gag.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Dr_Amazing posted:

Precisely when Kramer runs around the hospital with a chubby, squealing mental patient on his back, crashing through random doors trying desperately to save his mythical pig man. I couldn't catch my breath for so loving long.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Supreme Allah posted:

Precisely when Kramer runs around the hospital with a chubby, squealing mental patient on his back, crashing through random doors trying desperately to save his mythical pig man. I couldn't catch my breath for so loving long.

But he wasn't a pig man, was he :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Ain't nothing wrong with late series Seinfeld, some of my favorite episodes come from later on.