Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

RHTITE posted:

Well, you got me. In my defense though, the case could also be made with Burzum nowadays.

A Catholic priest is up doin his thing on Sunday morning, giving a wonderful sermon when all of a sudden he starts talking passionately about the practice of ritual cat sodomy. His congregation is aghast as he goes into great detail about the spiritual healing that can be attained from the violation of various breeds of long haired cats compared to the lesser gains from short haired breeds. I think most people would consider that as something that has no place in the church, and the priest would be run out of town on a rail, mocked and soon forgotten. Much the same way that all of these gimmick bands have been throughout the entire history of the genre. They just never have anything worthwhile to offer.

By the by, I didn't say anything about Satan. Almost all "Satanic" Black Metal bands suck to.

None of the Christian black metal bands which I've listened to a worth a poo poo, but you come off like a massive moron. Don't include everybody else in your weird closeted view of black metal fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NATO
Aug 3, 2009

by Lowtax
Call me crazy, but I think the phenomenon of unblack metal is actually a positive development. Not because of the music itself - which I haven't heard so far - but because it shows that people of various backgrounds are still interested in extreme metal enough to express themselves through it.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

NATO posted:

Call me crazy, but I think the phenomenon of unblack metal is actually a positive development. Not because of the music itself - which I haven't heard so far - but because it shows that people of various backgrounds are still interested in extreme metal enough to express themselves through it.

I agree, and black metal more than any genre can use all the diversity it can get. Plus, it's not like you can actually hear what the lyrics in 90% of black metal are about anyway so if it bothers you that much just pretend he's singing about how he's beating off his darkened frost-spire in Loki's name.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Can you people seriously not make out a lot of screamed lyrics? Yes, I am aware of the incoherence of pitch-shifted goregrind stuff, as well as screamed-into-a-headset "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" black metal vocals, but seriously, can you not even make out words?

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

Kaiho posted:

Can you people seriously not make out a lot of screamed lyrics? Yes, I am aware of the incoherence of pitch-shifted goregrind stuff, as well as screamed-into-a-headset "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" black metal vocals, but seriously, can you not even make out words?

Depends on the vocalist, but a reasonable amount of the time, yeah.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

NATO posted:

It might be positive if any of the bands ever showed themselves to be more than a social club with Black Metal riffs. The problem is that these guys never seem to get past the dress up part of the equation, so they end up sounding like a half-warmed copycat. Wolves In The Throne Room has come close once or twice, but to my ears, it sounds like their well ran dry like all the others :(. I dunno, I'm one of those guys that takes it super seriously, and I've never heard any of these gimmicky bands achieve anything other than mediocrity in the end. I really don't think there's a pot of gold at the end of this particular rainbow.

Anyway, I'm waking up to Midnight Odyssey this morning, and really liking their The Firmament album. Like 75% synthy Filosofem and 25% shoegaze. It's a lot more focused than his demo and it sounds like he's really on to something here.

http://www.myspace.com/midnightodysseyband

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

RHTITE posted:

It might be positive if any of the bands ever showed themselves to be more than a social club with Black Metal riffs. The problem is that these guys never seem to get past the dress up part of the equation, so they end up sounding like a half-warmed copycat. Wolves In The Throne Room has come close once or twice, but to my ears, it sounds like their well ran dry like all the others :(. I dunno, I'm one of those guys that takes it super seriously, and I've never heard any of these gimmicky bands achieve anything other than mediocrity in the end. I really don't think there's a pot of gold at the end of this particular rainbow.

How is being atheist or christian - things normal people actually believe - any more gimmicky than being satanist or asatru, things which barely exist outside of teenagers' basements?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Fuklaw posted:

Depends on the vocalist, but a reasonable amount of the time, yeah.

Then why did you post "it's not like you can actually hear what the lyrics in 90% of black metal are about anyway"? A "reasonable amount of the time" understanding lyrics does not equal 90% of unintelligible black metal vocals. To me, at least.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Fuklaw posted:

How is being atheist or christian - things normal people actually believe - any more gimmicky than being satanist or asatru, things which barely exist outside of teenagers' basements?

I don't recall saying that they are, other than in the context of a Black Metal band. In that case, yes, I would likely consider them gimmicky since that's all I've ever seen out of them, like I said.

NATO
Aug 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Kaiho posted:

Then why did you post "it's not like you can actually hear what the lyrics in 90% of black metal are about anyway"? A "reasonable amount of the time" understanding lyrics does not equal 90% of unintelligible black metal vocals. To me, at least.
I think he meant that he can not understand the lyrics a reasonable amount of time, which I would agree with.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

NATO posted:

I think he meant that he can not understand the lyrics a reasonable amount of time, which I would agree with.

I've been listening to screaming music for more than decade and I can get the gist of what pretty much any vocalist is saying when they scream. I would think a lot of long time listeners are the same way.

You can listen to Dissection and he might as well be singing, you can literally pick out anything he says. When you get to low grunting though, that's when I have a problem discerning words.

Secondly, let me say that this whole unblack/black metal discussion is retarded and we've already had it like 3 times in this thread.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Fuklaw posted:

and black metal more than any genre can use all the diversity it can get.

I would feel safe saying that most people are expecting something when they listen to a project simply labeled "Black Metal", and that something isn't something diverse and out there on the edge.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I've been listening to screaming music for more than decade and I can get the gist of what pretty much any vocalist is saying when they scream. I would think a lot of long time listeners are the same way.

I've been listening to screaming music for a long time as well - however, I can *never* make anything out. Ever. And, if I have the lyric sheet in front of me? It still doesn't make sense. I'll sit there thinking "So, that howl was supposed to be the word 'algae'?! :psyduck:" Of course, I have audio processing issues that makes this type of thing impossible for me to do reliably anyways.

NATO
Aug 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Plasma1010 posted:

I would feel safe saying that most people are expecting something when they listen to a project simply labeled "Black Metal", and that something isn't something diverse and out there on the edge.
I think that's the point.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

NATO posted:

I think that's the point.

Then why call it anything related to the genre Black Metal ?

It's a problem I encounter with certain projects that will label themselves in multiple categories like Black Metal / Death Metal / Hardcore. It would seem it just has to do with trying to drive the Black Metal fan base towards their music, not so much that they are trying to create Black Metal.

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 23, 2010

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Qu Appelle posted:

I've been listening to screaming music for a long time as well - however, I can *never* make anything out. Ever. And, if I have the lyric sheet in front of me? It still doesn't make sense. I'll sit there thinking "So, that howl was supposed to be the word 'algae'?! :psyduck:"

Algae, you say? Some crazy bastard in the Carribean made swashbucklin' Calypso metal and no one told me? I propose the name "Kraken metal" for this new sub-genre.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Captain Chestbeard posted:

Algae, you say? Some crazy bastard in the Carribean made swashbucklin' Calypso metal and no one told me? I propose the name "Kraken metal" for this new sub-genre.

Actually, we can thank Borknagar for such madness. 'The Inner Ocean Hypothesis'. Which is a black metal song...about the sea. And algae.

:black101::hf::backtowork:

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

Actually, we can thank Borknagar for such madness. 'The Inner Ocean Hypothesis'. Which is a black metal song...about the sea. And algae.

:black101::hf::backtowork:

I'd never heard the song before so had to youtube it. I never expected the "Algae" to be the first word I hear! But he's not really howling it is he, more singing (and pronouncing it like ehl-gee). His growled vocals are ridiculously coherent, once they kick in.

(WTF is up with that band anyway)

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Kaiho posted:

I'd never heard the song before so had to youtube it. I never expected the "Algae" to be the first word I hear! But he's not really howling it is he, more singing (and pronouncing it like ehl-gee). His growled vocals are ridiculously coherent, once they kick in.

'Algae' may be growled later on, I'm not entirely sure, and I'm not going to look it up now. But I still can't make out the growly stuff :downs:

I also can't make out incoherent people rambling at me on the bus either, so maybe there's an upside to odd hearing!

Borknagar is their own special bucket of :psyduck:. I love them.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Kaiho posted:

Borknagar and Vintersorg are their own little bundles of :psyduck:

Vintersorg posted:

Faster, twice as fast than the gravitation equation permits,
Is the rotation of the celestial spheres
But if Einstein's calculation to this failure admits,
We wouldn't even know about the calculation's fears

They're magical and I love them both.

Also, I have to throw in my love for Countess Burning Scripture. This is an amazing album, probably one of my favourite of 2010!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Also, I have to throw in my love for Countess Burning Scripture. This is an amazing album, probably one of my favourite of 2010!

It really is, isn't it?

MrWithers
Nov 24, 2007

Groke posted:

It really is, isn't it?

I really dont see how everyone is raving over this album. I just dont 'Get' the sound, it sounds a bit turd to me to be honest.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

MrWithers posted:

I really dont see how everyone is raving over this album. I just dont 'Get' the sound, it sounds a bit turd to me to be honest.

What, the sound is pretty much in the same vein as old Bathory if you ask me. And if that is not suitable for this kind of black metal I do not know what is.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Groke posted:

What, the sound is pretty much in the same vein as old Bathory if you ask me. And if that is not suitable for this kind of black metal I do not know what is.

Just to give my persepective, here's some other recent releases that I would consider to be noteable black metal albums.

Watain - Lawless Darkness
Triptykon - Epasistera Daimones
Nachtmystium - Addicts: Black Meddle Part 2
Countess - Burning Scrpiture
Avsky - Scorn
Lightning Swords of Death - The Extra Dimensional Wound
Darkthrone - Circle the Wagons

The nasty guitar tone for Burning Scripture is really what does it for me. That and the new Avsky are prety solid Bathory worship.

I just heard about Denouncement Pyre a few weeks ago. Their new album as great potential after hearing the teaser.

http://www.hellsheadbangers.com/denouncementpyre/

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Countess - Burning Scrpiture

Is there a place to buy, or even listen to this? I've searched my normal channels and found nothing. With all the talk, I'm anxious to hear it.

DominionOfSatyr
Jan 14, 2008

Deconsecrate

MrWithers posted:

I might be the only other person to agree with you

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

DominionOfSatyr posted:

I might be the only other person to agree with you

I don't like it much either, and honestly have never understood the appeal of Countess.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Not Very Metal posted:

Is there a place to buy, or even listen to this? I've searched my normal channels and found nothing. With all the talk, I'm anxious to hear it.

You can preview two tracks from Burning Scripture here...

...and you can order it from Barbarian Wrath here.

Enjoy!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There isn't really that much to "get" or explain about Countess. It is a distinctively 80s black metal sound mixed very liberally with various 80s heavy metal influences.

Orlok has had cover songs of everything ranging from Manilla Road to St Vitus to Manowar on his albums.

If you prefer your black metal to be trebly and blasty and full lizard shrieking and pretending that it came straight out of the norwegian 90s then no, you probably aren't going to like Countess.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Not Very Metal posted:

You can probably listen to the whole thing by searching youtube rips.

Since it came out over a month ago, last.fm says I have listened to tracks on that album 246 times.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Not Very Metal posted:

http://www.thebasar.org/order.html

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

i'm so glad i'm better than you are.
Anyone listen to Walknut's 2007 album or any of the dudes' related bands? I'm starting to really get into Russian and Ukrainian stuff. Drudkh, Hate Forest, Lutomysl, that's all really good I think

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Giudecca posted:

Anyone listen to Walknut's 2007 album or any of the dudes' related bands? I'm starting to really get into Russian and Ukrainian stuff. Drudkh, Hate Forest, Lutomysl, that's all really good I think

I think most of this thread has listened to all of those bands. Walknut certainly got a lot of attention, and lutomysl was touted in one of the first metal threads on this forum.

You should also try Forest, Old Wainds, Branikald, along with the obvious stuff like Nokturnal Mortum and Astrofaes. Vargleide may be to your liking, but can be a bastard to track down and is just as likely to disappoint as it is to entertain. Velimor and Dub Buk offer something slightly different from the rest without veering too far off track. You will probably also like Temnozor.

Oh and despite the fact they're an absolute joke now, early Lucifugum is stunning.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 25, 2010

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Giudecca posted:

Love that record, been eagerly awaiting a new release for some time. Other bands similar that I recommend are Folkvang, Raventale, Concubia Nocte, Kob, Perterricrepus, Sirin, Karpathia, Kurgan and Igric to name a few.

Edit: and Kroda. You must check out Kroda if you haven't already. Towards the Firmaments Verge of Life is one of my favorite black metal records of all time. Their side of the split with Oprich is phenomenal too.

ultraviolence123 fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 25, 2010

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
poo poo drat, the record label didn't even cross my mind. That crusty guitar tone is nasty, I like it.

Thanks all around.

Horrorca
Mar 24, 2010
Hey guys. Four or five years ago I was really into black metal, but for the last years it’s been very hard for me to get into new albums as I find most of them generic and boring as gently caress.

“Recent” stuff I like (I’m aware some of it isn’t highly original):

Amesoeurs - Ruines Humaines. The new one was boring as gently caress.
Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors (not really BM, but whatever)
Ash Pool – Genital Tomb, World Turns on Its Hinge and Saturn’s Slave. New one disappointed a bit.
Blut Aus Nord – The Work which Transforms God
Bone Awl - Meaningless Leaning Mess
Deathspell Omega – SMRC, Kenose and Fas.
Dead Raven Choir - Their Feet Are the Foraging Ground for Wolves
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
Enslaved – Vertebrae
Funeral Mist – Salvation
Furze – UTD
Inquisition - Magnificent Glorification of Lucifer
Leviathan - Tentacles of Whorror (love this one)
Lugubrum - De Vette Cuecken
Menace Ruine - Die Is Cast
Mystic Forest – Romances
Negurã Bunget – OM
Peste Noire - La Sanie des siècles: Panégyrique de la dégénérescence. New one was meh.
Satyricon – Rebel Extravaganza (old but modern sounding and still awesome).
Sigh - Gallows Gallery (not really BM, but I love it). I could never get into HH.
Velvet Cacoon – Genevieve and P aa opal Poere Pr. 33 (love these)
Wolves in the Throne Room - Diadem of 12 Stars and Two Hunters

I enjoy Watain, Katharsis, etc. but enough of that. Lifelover is meh.

I was hoping you could recommend me some original new black metal albums, especially if they have a very layered and psychedelic quality to them (like Furze’s UTD or Leviathan’s ToH and unlike Nachtmystium’s Assassins).

I know enough classic BM albums to keep my craving for “traditional” BM satisfied, so please try not to recommend me any “limited to 50 copies” Darkthrone/Mütiilation clone cassettes no one cares about unless, of course, it is absolutely amazing (in which case, there’re probably more than 50 copies available).

Thank you!

EDIT: Alcest is OK.

Horrorca fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 25, 2010

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Horrorca posted:

I was hoping you could recommend me some original new black metal albums, especially if they have a very layered and psychedelic quality to them (like Furze’s UTD or Leviathan’s ToH and unlike Nachtmystium’s Assassins).

Maybe try a US band called, Castevet. They're from New York. I've just recently discovered them myself but, they're avant-garde, experimentation, psychedelic, hardcore/grindcore rage coupled with great dark and haunting melodies. Along the lines of other black metal bands distributed by Profound Lore (i.e. Ludicra, Cobalt, Krallice, The Howling Wind, etc.) You may like them too. Their 2010 release is called, Mounds of Ash.

Check them out here and buy their album here.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If you want layered and psychedelic you're probably better off looking at another genre.

In my opinion there's plenty of good black metal out there, but looking at your list I'm guessing you probably wouldn't agree with my suggestions.

edit: I just found a bunch of Moonblood stuff that I thought I had lost. Upon listening to it again it probably should have stayed lost.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 25, 2010

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Dude, you're completely out of your mind. Moonblood is excellent black metal of the highest quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

Horrorca posted:

I'll do my best.

Miserere Luminis - S/T, very highly recommended!! I think it satisfies your description well.
Caina - S/T EP, quite experimental and with the usual shocking emotional honesty of Caina.
Gris - Il Était une Forêt...
Enmerkar - Starlit Passage
Every single Leviathan release + the 2001 and 2005 L.O.C. (brilliantly eerie)
And of course the modern blog darlings such as Altar of Plagues and Petrychor.