Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

TyChan posted:

If you're trying to weed him out for being unfit, give him a Federal district court decision related to ERISA. Any case written by Cardozo is actually readable, even if the prose is ornate.

This describes about 80% my 5 years as a practicing attorney.

Screw that, just give him ERISA. Or maybe the bankruptcy code

code:

Sec. 544. Trustee as lien creditor and as successor to certain
      creditors and purchasers

(a) The trustee shall have, as of the commencement of the case,
    and without regard to any knowledge of the trustee or of any
    creditor, the rights and powers of, or may avoid any transfer of
    property of the debtor or any obligation incurred by the debtor
    that is voidable by - 
        (1) a creditor that extends credit to the debtor at the time of
      the commencement of the case, and that obtains, at such time and
      with respect to such credit, a judicial lien on all property on
      which a creditor on a simple contract could have obtained such a
      judicial lien, whether or not such a creditor exists;
        (2) a creditor that extends credit to the debtor at the time of
      the commencement of the case, and obtains, at such time and with
      respect to such credit, an execution against the debtor that is
      returned unsatisfied at such time, whether or not such a creditor
      exists; or
        (3) a bona fide purchaser of real property, other than
      fixtures, from the debtor, against whom applicable law permits
      such transfer to be perfected, that obtains the status of a bona
      fide purchaser and has perfected such transfer at the time of the
      commencement of the case, whether or not such a purchaser exists.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Solomon Grundy posted:

Take a picture of yourself looking like this and clip it to your resume:

That way, they will know that you look like an admiralty lawyer.

His jacket is tailored wrong. The sleeves aren't supposed to come down that far. Also, not sure I am a fan of the brown/white spectators with the seersucker. Probably would have gone classic white bucks myself.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Ainsley McTree posted:

If you really truly are a poor radical environmental activist and all you want to do is...whatever the gently caress it is you think you want to do as a lawyer, Northeastern really truly is the school for you, because it is chock full of radical [insert your cause here] activists and you will be among friends if you go there. And with a 170/4.0 you can get a nasty scholarship, especially if you have a demonstrable interest in a public interest job. A friend of mine had a full scholarship with the condition that she had to satisfy certain public interest requirements. I never really pressed her on what those requirements were, but she was happy to do it, she was an immigrant who wanted to immigration law (and she is, so good for her I'm not jealous) so things worked out for her. Northeastern's a great school to go to so long as you're annoyingly passionate about public interest and you don't mind/don't know about the massive risk of failure

I went on some dates with a Northeastern graduate who eventually went to Paul Weiss and then quit to become a teacher. This picture of the school is accurate, according to her.

She was horrified when I told her about how one of my classmates asked Justice Thomas point blank "when are we going to get rid of all the babykillers?"

nm posted:

Yes it is.
If you're a URM at a T1 (hell, maybe T2 and into T3) who isn't failing and you just finished your 1L year, I can get you a paid 2L summer position at a good law firm that will turn into a job (around $100k) after your graduate if you don't gently caress up.
No, I am not kidding.
Seriously, PM me if you fit these characteristics and will move to California (or Nevada, but you don't want to move to Nevada)

Where the gently caress were you when I was in law school?

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 22, 2010

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Mookie posted:

not sure I am a fan of the brown/white spectators with the seersucker. Probably would have gone classic white bucks myself.

Looked like spats over derbys to me....

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Solomon Grundy posted:

Take a picture of yourself looking like this and clip it to your resume:

That way, they will know that you look like an admiralty lawyer.

I would unironically do this if lawyers weren't gossipy fucks and I never wanted to work in this city again and if ATL didn't exist for my shame to find its way into the internet.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Solomon Grundy posted:

Looked like spats over derbys to me....

Upon closer inspection I think you're correct. Nicely done.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

gently caress. Basically the only firm in the area that does admiralty is hiring an articling student. How can I spin my criminal/regulatory experience and course load in a way that won't get me laughed out of there? It doesn't help that my school offers next to no classes in that field.

This is your cover letter:

Dear Hiring Partner:

We have fed our sea for a thousand years
And she calls us, still unfed,
Though there's never a wave of all her waves
But marks our English dead:
We have strawed our best to the weed's unrest,
To the shark and the sheering gull.
If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Cordially,

Commander Smirnoff

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Commander Commodore Smirnoff

You want to embellish any leadership positions you've held

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Maybe I'll mention my experience in a certain goon "fleet".

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I suppose the goonfleet.com lynch mob can look like a court if you squint real hard.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

TyChan posted:

Where the gently caress were you when I was in law school?
Yet another person who wasn't told about the advantages of mid-law.
Your career services people won't tell you about them because careers services sucks and mid-law does bad marketing for students.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

saw a help wanted sign on a lemonade stand in boston common today

nearly applied

probably should have

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Maybe I'll mention my experience in a certain goon "fleet".

can you get me in sick of carebearing

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Incredulous Red posted:

follow the directions on goonfleet dot com. it's easy and the drama's as good as the game/this thread!

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.
I had to brief Palsgraf for class today and I'm not even in law school :psyduck:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dallan Invictus posted:

I suppose the goonfleet.com lynch mob can look like a court if you squint real hard.

Back when I was a director, I threatened to report another lawyer director to the bar for hiring a real-life hacker to hack another corp's forums.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Back when I was a director, I threatened to report another lawyer director to the bar for hiring a real-life hacker to hack another corp's forums.
A lawyer who knows that another lawyer has committed a violation of the Rules of Professional Conduct that raises a substantial question as to that lawyer's honesty, trustworthiness or fitness as a lawyer in other respects, shall inform the appropriate professional authority.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Linguica posted:

A lawyer who knows that another lawyer has committed a violation of the Rules of Professional Conduct that raises a substantial question as to that lawyer's honesty, trustworthiness or fitness as a lawyer in other respects, shall inform the appropriate professional authority.

So, if you don't report Baruch, I have to report you, right? poo poo this is getting recursive.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I read that thread actually it was one of the only good threads in the director forum (which hadn't been used in like a year and a half).

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Incredulous Red posted:

I haven't played since the Remedial days but just do what Adar said.

quote:

Did he hire weev? Because that would be hilariously ironic.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Mookie posted:

His jacket is tailored wrong. The sleeves aren't supposed to come down that far. Also, not sure I am a fan of the brown/white spectators with the seersucker. Probably would have gone classic white bucks myself.

Yes, mock him for his sleeves (trousers also dragging in the dirt) and not for his ridiculous collar and bow tie/ascot/cravat/wtf is that?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Screw that, just give him ERISA. Or maybe the bankruptcy code

code:

Sec. 544. Trustee as lien creditor and as successor to certain
      creditors and purchasers

(a) The trustee shall have, as of the commencement of the case,
    and without regard to any knowledge of the trustee or of any
    creditor, the rights and powers of, or may avoid any transfer of
    property of the debtor or any obligation incurred by the debtor
    that is voidable by - 
        (1) a creditor that extends credit to the debtor at the time of
      the commencement of the case, and that obtains, at such time and
      with respect to such credit, a judicial lien on all property on
      which a creditor on a simple contract could have obtained such a
      judicial lien, whether or not such a creditor exists;
        (2) a creditor that extends credit to the debtor at the time of
      the commencement of the case, and obtains, at such time and with
      respect to such credit, an execution against the debtor that is
      returned unsatisfied at such time, whether or not such a creditor
      exists; or
        (3) a bona fide purchaser of real property, other than
      fixtures, from the debtor, against whom applicable law permits
      such transfer to be perfected, that obtains the status of a bona
      fide purchaser and has perfected such transfer at the time of the
      commencement of the case, whether or not such a purchaser exists.

I like the code tags around the bankruptcy code. :hf:

You should add a hypo to make it more fun. Here:

A goes bankrupt. Before A declares bankruptcy, B agrees to provide A with a loan. After A goes bankrupt, B provides the loan and seeks retroactive approval of the loan from the court. The court denies B. After A declares, C, with the approval of the court, loans A money. Before and during the period of A's bankruptcy, D continues to provide A with the widgets A needs to operate A's business and A pays D using B and C's money. The court appoints a trustee and the trustee decides that C will get paid .80 on the dollar and B will get paid .20 on the dollar. B and C sue D to get back the money that A paid D. What result? Address the impact of Sec. 544 on the result. How would the result have been different if B's loan was secured by A's property? How would that result differ if the property securing B's loan was an aircraft?

Linguica posted:

This is a good example of an ethical violation that is virtually impossible to enforce.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.
Anyone else going to the Fordham Law "admitted students day" poo poo tomorrow? I'm probably going but would love to not go alone (also I don't want to die alone, dear god).

By the way, thanks Fordham for zero help aside from the 8% interest loans. gently caress me.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

amishsexpot posted:

Anyone else going to the Fordham Law "admitted students day" poo poo tomorrow? I'm probably going but would love to not go alone (also I don't want to die alone, dear god).

By the way, thanks Fordham for zero help aside from the 8% interest loans. gently caress me.

They're known for not giving much in terms of scholly/grant money.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Never used it to apply for law school, but I was recently hired over several other applicants, and they specifically mentioned that they found my LSAT score impressive. It doesn't hurt to put it on your resume.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

amishsexpot posted:

So I guess your year of deferred admission didn't result in a... deterred ambition :awesome:

PS seriously? You still want to go to law school? I'm not even going to try and yell at you

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

_areaman posted:

Never used it to apply for law school, but I was recently hired over several other applicants, and they specifically mentioned that they found my LSAT score impressive. It doesn't hurt to put it on your resume.

I don't know who you're replying to but do not ever do this.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

_areaman posted:

Holy crap. A test score on a resume would be an insta-trash for me.

Is it finance-related? They love the tests.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

builds character posted:

I don't know who you're replying to but do not ever do this.
What the gently caress, man. You hiring bigwigs need to stop changing the game every two minutes.

Click here for the full 570x737 image.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

SlyFrog posted:

Practicing for a few years is not insulation. Insulation is having five-to-ten years left to retire and hoping to ride out this long-term poo poo storm because you already have almost enough cash saved up to make it out alive.
SlyFrog posts are literally the best posts

Xane posted:

I was reading through the last law school thread and saw remedial got brought up. If you were one of the people who got their money stolen you can sit back and lol now(without faxing photos of his dick to his law office).

http://www.nhbar.org/publications/display-news-issue.asp?id=5597

Looks like his other partners have done some interesting stuff to!

http://www.nhbar.org/publications/display-news-issue.asp?id=5137

Lesson is, don't go to a T3-T4!

hahaha wonder how many titans he could have bought with that 60 million

burn in hell remedial you fat little-dicked piece of poo poo

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

amishsexpot posted:

Hey, I'm going to a slightly higher rated school than you in a much less saturated region than you for probably under half what you are going to school for.

I am in the top 25% of my class and I've been toying with the idea of dropping out ever since getting this semester's grades.

Fordham is a trap. Flee now.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

SlyFrog posts are literally the best posts

hahaha wonder how many titans he could have bought with that 60 million

burn in hell remedial you fat little-dicked piece of poo poo

Stealing the video game money was one thing but the type of work he's doing now is really terrible and predatory. I mean, scamming people who are broke out of $2,500 they don't have is reprehensible.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

JudicialRestraints posted:

Fordham is a trap. Flee now.

Yep. My cousin just graduated out of Fordham after doing her undergrad at Harvard. 1L International Law Panda internship, got passed up at 2L OCI, and has no law-related prospects.

I could maybe argue for a T1 school if it were a state school (with in-state tuition) in a relatively non-saturated market, provided it was someone who met all of the other standards for "should you go to law school?". Maybe. But hey, Fordham has Fashion Law!

InternetRulesLawyer
Feb 13, 2009
I don't see where people are getting that Remedial is scamming people in real life. There's links all over the NH bar website about this case. The New Hampshire bar apparently backs Dargon and other real estate attorneys from oversight from the Banking Department and apparently a Superior Court judge agrees. The NH Banking Commissioner is being removed by the governor and executive council for incompetence. The law looks really, really poorly worded and poorly thought out, too. Even the ABA thinks the law is dumb and overbroad.

There's even a chronology of what happened that makes it sound like everybody was surprised by what the Banking Department did:

quote:

Bar News - June 18, 2010

S.A.F.E. Act in NH: Chronology

July 30, 2008 – National S.A.F.E. Mortgage Licensing Act signed into law.

"The S.A.F.E. Act is designed to enhance consumer protection and reduce fraud by encouraging states to establish minimum standards for the licensing and registration of state-licensed mortgage loan originators…"

A model state act is also disseminated to states for guidance.

April 1, 2009 – Amendments to RSA 397-A become effective, requiring state licensing for all mortgage originators as defined by the new statute.

March 5, 2010 – ABA submits a comment to US Department of Housing and Urban Development urging that proposed rules to implement the S.A.F.E. Act be amended to broaden the exemptions for attorneys. "By granting HUD and the state agencies sweeping powers to regulate these lawyers [referring to lawyers whose primary task in representing clients is assisting them in loan-modification], the lawyers’ employees and agents, and the legal services they provide clients, they Proposed Rule could erode the confidential relationship between lawyers and their clients, including the attorney-client privilege and therefore could undermine the client’s right to effective counsel."

March 29, 2010 – ABA submits comments to Federal Trade Commission regarding proposed rules on Mortgage Assistance Relief Services rules, regulations aimed at protecting consumers from fraudulent foreclosure rescue and mortgage modification services. The rule would forbid companies providing mortgage modification services from charging up-front for these services. Instead, companies could only collect payment after providing services. The ABA "urge[d] the FTC to broaden the [attorney] exemption to cover all aspects of the attorneys’ legal representation of clients in connection with mortgage assistance relief services, not just those provided in connection with the filing of a bankruptcy, court or administrative proceeding. After all, one of the principal goals of securing legal representation is to avoid bankruptcy and litigation if possible, not encourage them."

April 1, 2010 – Banking Department issues cease-and-desist order on Dargon Law Firm, P.L.L.C, alleging violations of RSA 397-A and ordering that the firm immediately halt all mortgage-modification work and refund any fees paid to clients for such work. The petition also threatens more than $60 million in fines for alleged violations. The Banking Department stated that it had acted on a complaint in moving against Dargon.

The Department later disclosed that a Department employee had received a mailing from Dargon law offering its services to assist with foreclosure prevention. In newspaper coverage, Dargon acknowledged sending mailings to lists of consumers past due on their mortgages obtained from consumer credit agencies.

April 5, 2010 – Attorney Dargon obtains temporary ex parte relief from the cease-and-desist order until a preliminary hearing is held in superior court.

April 5, 2010 – National Association of Attorneys General (NAAG) issues comment to the Federal Trade Commission on a measure to regulate third-party mortgage rescue consultants. The NAAG asserts that "It is crucial that the rule not contain a broad, status-based exemption that categorically excludes attorneys from its coverage.

April 12, 2010 – Hearing is held in Merrimack County Superior Court.

April 26, 2010 – Merrimack County Superior Court Judge Larry Smukler issues five-page order granting petitioner Dargon’s request for an injunction, in part, "during the pendency of the department’s administrative process." Judge Smukler granted the injunction as it pertained to the majority of Dargon’s clients who were subject to foreclosure or where a foreclosure action was "likely" due to missed mortgage payments.

In the small number of cases where a foreclosure was not "likely," Smukler ordered that Dargon cease representation with those clients. Further, he ordered that Dargon comply with the department’s request for disclosure of client records with several limitations for the purposes of "developing an evidentiary record" for the administrative process.

April 27, 2010 – The Banking Department seeks access to client files at Dargon’s office and is turned away without being provided access to client files.

April 28, 2010 – Commissioner and Dargon separately file motions for clarification of the order, disagreeing over which records can be turned over, and for what purpose.

April 29, 2010 – Commissioner files response to Dargon’s clarification motion, and asserts the Department’s right to inspect "all client files for any loan-modification negotiations or re-negotiations" performed by Dargon’s firm.

April 4, 2010 – Attorney Dargon files complaint against the Banking Department, and announces that, due to the 4/29 filing by the Banking Department that, he said, pre-supposes that Dargon’s firm’s activities fall within the jurisdiction of the department, that it will be fruitless to pursue an internal administrative process in the Banking Department.

May 25, 2010 – Banking Department officials are peppered with questions at an NHBA CLE program on current enforcement of the state SAFE Act.

June 8, 2010 – Members of the Real Property Law Section, at the request of the Board of Governors, discuss potential courses of action regarding attorneys’ concerns about the enforcement of the state S.A.F.E. Act in NH.

June 30, 2010 – A hearing is scheduled in Superior Court to determine whether attorney Dargon will be held in contempt for allegedly not complying with providing client records as stated in the April 26 decision.

tl;dr a guy steals video game money and that makes him a real life criminal mastermind who apparently got 10 other lawyers to go along with him???

InternetRulesLawyer fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 24, 2010

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Judge ruled on my Motion for Judgment of Acquittal from a month ago on a possession of paraphernalia case and I won :w00t:

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

InternetRulesLawyer posted:

Stuff

Hello Dan Dargon.

InternetRulesLawyer
Feb 13, 2009

Chakron posted:

Hello Dan Dargon.

no

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

InternetRulesLawyer posted:

I run a successful small business that will soon be graduating into a medium-sized business. I'd prefer that people didn't go all internet-detective on me, so I'll just describe what we do in general terms:

* We offer legal services that are highly desirable in a recession
* We are a very young company, only 18 months old
* We have a very large client base, and we are growing rapidly
* My employees come in two flavors: clerical support, and attorneys
* I expect to add another 50 employees by the end of the year because the demand is so high

And so on and so forth. Your post history is very Remedial-esque, and you seem to know a ton about him and what he does, granted this information is all public. Can you prove you're not Dan Dargon? You could be someone working in the same field but the evidence is very compelling.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Chakron posted:

Can you prove you're not Dan Dargon?.

I can think of at least one way this could be easily (and intimately) accomplished, if IRL is not Mr. Dargon. The similarities are there, however.

InternetRulesLawyer
Feb 13, 2009

Chakron posted:

And so on and so forth. Your post history is very Remedial-esque, and you seem to know a ton about him and what he does, granted this information is all public. Can you prove you're not Dan Dargon? You could be someone working in the same field but the evidence is very compelling.

I have a law firm and brokerage in Connecticut. I have an extensive background in bankruptcy law and mortgage work. I even posted an "ask me about bankruptcies" thread forever ago. I've been following SAFE Act legislation for quite awhile because it may impact bankruptcy reaffirmation agreements and because of the originator/broker requirements it imposes on employees. Really, anybody who works in the real estate field in New England and follows the news knows about this now.

Frankly, I think it's funny that somebody stole a bunch of money from MMO goons and it made them so mad that they're chasing shadows on the internet years later. Do goons do this to people who stole from other guilds in MMO games? What the gently caress does Remedial-esque even mean? Hahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Chakron posted:

Can you prove you're not Dan Dargon?

So that's a no.