Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

Yeah it's ridiculous because if you miss that trick you really loving miss it. Like you slam your head against the garage door or smack your shins on the ledge.

Man same poo poo I pulled today with a double pits to chesty. It was sickkk

But seriously though, I had to buy some insoles for my shoes today and I'm actually pretty pleased. If you're having crampy foot/sore achilles/sore heel problems check out these insoles called Superfeet. I got the blue variety because I have low arches... pretty happy. My pain didn't start until about a mile or so in which is a pretty huge improvement.

I also really started digging into trying to ollie. I'm still too chickenshit to do it on pavement without using a handguard, but I'm feeling good about the motion. That video from a couple pages back where the kid is talking about bouncing the board off the pavement with your backfoot put it all together in my head. now I just need to get it done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

RobotEmpire posted:

I also really started digging into trying to ollie. I'm still too chickenshit to do it on pavement without using a handguard, but I'm feeling good about the motion. That video from a couple pages back where the kid is talking about bouncing the board off the pavement with your backfoot put it all together in my head. now I just need to get it done.
Let go of the handguard. You'd be surprised how much balance you've got landing on the board and how easy it is to catch yourself before you totally gently caress up and explode your bones.

Then you'll understand why it's so much easier to do it while rolling and why I still can't work up the nerve 80% of the time to even try

Ugh, being (relatively) old bites nuts.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Whalley posted:

Let go of the handguard. You'd be surprised how much balance you've got landing on the board and how easy it is to catch yourself before you totally gently caress up and explode your bones.

Then you'll understand why it's so much easier to do it while rolling and why I still can't work up the nerve 80% of the time to even try

Ugh, being (relatively) old bites nuts.

How old are you? I'm 31. Do I have osteoporosis yet?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

RobotEmpire posted:

How old are you? I'm 31. Do I have osteoporosis yet?

I'm 25 and it seems everyone I meet who sees my skateboard goes "Oh man, I used to skate, I got to doing kickflips and heelflips pretty well but I haven't touched a board in like ten years, you mind if I give it a try?"

And I never mind and they always make me feel inadequate as a human being :unsmith:

Mincher
May 12, 2008
I ordered some trucks.

The parcel arrived.

There was only 1 truck.

loving small print.

Oh well, the other truck should arrive tomorrow with next day delivery. I can wait until then. Just.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Part 2, the final part of our montage from our trip is up!

http://fyours.wordpress.com/2010/06/22/montage-part-2/

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Whalley posted:

I'm 25 and it seems everyone I meet who sees my skateboard goes "Oh man, I used to skate, I got to doing kickflips and heelflips pretty well but I haven't touched a board in like ten years, you mind if I give it a try?"

And I never mind and they always make me feel inadequate as a human being :unsmith:

dude if you're making yourself feel relatively old at 25 you'll never make it to 31.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

RobotEmpire posted:

dude if you're making yourself feel relatively old at 25 you'll never make it to 31.

I'm 25 also and know i'm still pretty young but being surrounded, at the park, by teenagers born in the 90's makes me feel like I've been around forever!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If you're 25 and not still tossing yourself down small sets of stairs then I do not know what to tell you. I'm 27 and I am Not Old.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm 33 and skate with some dudes pushing 40. Hush your mouth about old!
/
:corsair:

Edit: It is really amazing how much things have progressed and changed and it makes me all sentimental. Skating around with these youngsters at the park is a pretty great way to forget how old you are and just enjoy life. Last summer a friend had a quarter we would pull out into the street in his neighborhood and skate. He had two kids of his own and there were other neighborhood kids and we would all just hangout in the road and dink around on the ramp. They would do their silly things with bikes, scooters, footballs etc. and we would skate. It felt like I was in 5th grade again and that is actually kind of cool. Not a care in the world.

That's the amazing thing to me about skateboarding. It's like a fountain of youth. Even though you may be physically limited by your age that does not mean that you can't experience the same enjoyment.

Don't worry about the other skaters. Just skate. Some are able to spend more youth, time and energy on it but most everyone is doing it for the same reason. Feels good man.

so there's that...like I said it makes me all sentimental. Shred or dead!

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 24, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
What do you do with a football on a quarter pipe?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
You get someone to throw it to you while you jump off the side to try and catch it in the air, duh...

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
I really need to learn to ollie and poo poo so I can do the things on a skateboard I really want to do. Longboarding is a blast but I'd much rather be at the skatepark.

Also just want to echo the Superfeet insoles again. Well worth the ~$35 investment.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So I'm putting together my second deck, and I have a question for ya'll experience shredders in here. I would really like to do a wacky color griptape for my new deck, but everything I've heard about colored grip tape is bad bad bad. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was checking out Skately, and there are different brands of varying prices, but nothing about coarseness or quality (as if a business would say hurf we sell a lovely product anyway).

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I've never heard anything particularly bad or good about colored grip tape but I've also never looked into using it.

Out of curiosity, have you heard that colored grip is not as coarse or doesn't last as long or what?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bucket Joneses posted:

I've never heard anything particularly bad or good about colored grip tape but I've also never looked into using it.

Out of curiosity, have you heard that colored grip is not as coarse or doesn't last as long or what?

Yeah, should have been more specific. I've heard both things, ie not as coarse, has lower quality of glue. So I guess suggestions about grip tape brand would be more useful. I like a medium grip, doesn't need to be super coarse or anything.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Taught a girl I work with how to get onto a skateboard and roll around and tictac yesterday and something clicked in my head about balance and I don't know what happened but I'm suddenly a hundred times more steady on my board. Tomorrow, I work in a dead coffeeshop by myself all day, surrounded by parking lots, small as hell grass gaps, baby's first ledges and a few industrial driveway banks. All of which I can hit while keeping an eye on the store in case a single customer shows up.

I'm closing at four PM and probably going to hang around until the sun sets. Next week is my last week at this job before I go have my visa interview and gently caress off out of this country for at least two years, so if my boss comes in and fires me, I just get to have a week of free skating time :shobon:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That sounds pretty amazing. Even more so if you are entirely baked for the whole shift.

I want to go outside :(

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
Just linked in with a small group of LDPers in Indianapolis where I'm moving next week. One guy just exposed me to all this poo poo about longboarding I didn't even know I didn't know. Felt like a newb. They have a couple cool ldp videos over at their site.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

So I just realized that with the purchase of an iphone4 I'll be able to get footage virtually anywhere I'm skating. All I need is a mount to hold it on a gorilla pod.

So stoked.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Bucket Joneses posted:

All I need is a mount to hold it on a gorilla pod.

http://joby.com/gorillamobile

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah I figured they made them so I guess I'll just have to wait for an i4 specific model. Thanks for the link, though, I didn't know that Joby had an iPhone app with all those features (and free to boot).

Hopefully iMovie is easy enough to use that I can cut clips together on the bus. That'd be swanky as hell.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The best bit about my skate day of work was some guy rolling past on his longboard, getting off, having a chat with me then teaching me all the ins and outs of pressure flips.

I have the hardest time doing ollies, but I can do frontside and normal shuvits, so poo poo just made perfect sense in my head. I can flip the board and have it land exactly how it should when I'm standing next to it, but landing is going to gently caress with my head. Still, it's fun as hell to try.

UncleSkunk
May 8, 2007
Erotic Cakes
I just got my KS Scimitar today, and it's a blast to ride. I feel like the bushings are too soft though, as it feels pretty twitchy. Any suggestions for something more stable?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
You'll probably want to run something above 90a durometer, I use 90a and 93a on my rear truck for stability and I'm 180lbs. They're pretty hard, so something in that range would be good since you're bigger. Even as high as 95a might be good. I really like Venom and Reflex bushings, I'm using 2 barrels in the back and a cone and a barrel bushing in the front. What you run depends on the kind of riding you want to do and the kind of feel you like. Your best bet is to buy a few different kinds and mix and match. You'll want harder bushings on the rear truck, and when mixing on a truck I like to put the harder bushing on the top (between the baseplate and the hanger). Here's a pretty good topic on another board about bushing types, washers, etc. http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboard-skateboarding-trucks/106618-bushings-different-types-how-set-them-up.html

Randal trucks use a taller than normal top bushing, so if you change them out you'll want to put an extra flat washer on that side to make the sizes match up. I think reflex and maybe venoms are the same height but I'm not positive. I buy a lot of my skate stuff from https://www.milehighskates.com they have a good selection of bushings. Like I said, mix and match and experiment. Eventually you'll get a good feel for what you like don't like.

UncleSkunk
May 8, 2007
Erotic Cakes
Awesome, thanks for the advice! Gonna order a few different ones and play around.

Mincher
May 12, 2008
For those of you who like free things, DC shoes are giving away Skateboarding is Forever for free:

http://skate.dcshoes.com/watercooler/334/skateboarding-is-free

Enjoy!

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
I hit up the new skatepark in the next town over for the first time today, only to find they were really strict on 'full pads', and even though I've been skating for fifteen years I've never owned a set of elbow/kneepads. So I drove over to the local skateshop, guy recommended me a set, and I head back to the park, only to find I can't loving skate in loving kneepads because Jesus Christ. Are kneepads supposed to be the most uncomfortable loving things to wear ever created? They prevent me from fully extending my leg, so I can barely walk let alone skate, and if I try they dig their way into the top of my shin bone. I tried to skate for like 20 minutes before I couldn't take it anymore. Frustrated, I threw them in the trash on my way out.

I really liked the park though. :smith:

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
^ Bummer. I went to a local city-run skatepark here a few times, they always had loaner pads I could borrow that they swore they disinfected, so I just used those.

Would it be cool (i.e. not bannable/probationable) if I posted a link to a buddy who's longboarding from Indianapolis to Chicago? He's trying to raise money but I don't want to violate any rules/etiquette.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Pads aren't fun to skate in, but there are some good ones out there that aren't completely terrible.

187 makes a decent set, and pro-designed anything is also top shelf.

Get what you pay for it seems, they're both a little pricey.

Dirp
May 16, 2007
Bonelesses and all the variations rule. That's all.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
I learned FS smith grinds today. So psyched I've been working on this trick for like 4 months. I did a bunch on mini ramp to get the feel of them and then just applied it to a rail. Next trick... feebles.

Bonelesses and bean plants in tranny are awesome.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
I really miss having a skatepark close by :(

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

UncleSkunk posted:

I just got my KS Scimitar today, and it's a blast to ride. I feel like the bushings are too soft though, as it feels pretty twitchy. Any suggestions for something more stable?

DELETED posted:

You'll probably want to run something above 90a durometer, I use 90a and 93a on my rear truck for stability and I'm 180lbs. They're pretty hard, so something in that range would be good since you're bigger. Even as high as 95a might be good. I really like Venom and Reflex bushings, I'm using 2 barrels in the back and a cone and a barrel bushing in the front. What you run depends on the kind of riding you want to do and the kind of feel you like. Your best bet is to buy a few different kinds and mix and match. You'll want harder bushings on the rear truck, and when mixing on a truck I like to put the harder bushing on the top (between the baseplate and the hanger). Here's a pretty good topic on another board about bushing types, washers, etc. http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboard-skateboarding-trucks/106618-bushings-different-types-how-set-them-up.html

Randal trucks use a taller than normal top bushing, so if you change them out you'll want to put an extra flat washer on that side to make the sizes match up. I think reflex and maybe venoms are the same height but I'm not positive. I buy a lot of my skate stuff from https://www.milehighskates.com they have a good selection of bushings. Like I said, mix and match and experiment. Eventually you'll get a good feel for what you like don't like.

Venom, Reflex, and Sabre are all good. Khiros are also good but nowadays are most popular among slalom riders, simply because they're cheap and readily available.
What trucks are you running? It makes a huge difference in what bushings you select, since standard and reverse-kingpin geometry trucks feel different with the same bushings, and then the kingpin angle and even the hanger width change the feel also. For Independant trucks I use a 78a Venom Eliminator bottom with a 77a Reflex barrel top in front, and 80a Reflex barrel top rear. Randal 42s I'm currently using 88a Sabres in rear, and on bottom in front, but an 85a Venom barrel on top in front. I weigh 150lbs and both setups are for general carving, downhill, and sliding.
I'd say to try something in the mid 80s or low 90s if you're using 50* Randal or Paris trucks. With Randal trucks, buy a new 2.75" kingpin also, since the Randal top bushing is shorter than a Venom/Reflex/Sabre
What DELETED said is pretty spot on, but I'd say go a little softer. The bottom bushing is the one between the baseplate and hanger, and the top is between the hanger and kingpin, not the other way around as DELETED said. Symmetrical bushing setups are fine, but some people like to put a softer bushing on top in front, or run the front much softer than the rear. With split angle trucks (turnier, higher angle front, leanier, lower angle rear) people almost always run the rear truck with harder bushings, since you have much more leverage over a lower angle truck, making the bushings feel softer.
Definitely check out that Silverfish thread... you can find all you need to know there, but be warned there are a lot of idiots and kooks there too

donJonSwan posted:

Pads aren't fun to skate in, but there are some good ones out there that aren't completely terrible.

187 makes a decent set, and pro-designed anything is also top shelf.

Get what you pay for it seems, they're both a little pricey.

I wear Smith Scabs when skating hills, and they'd be great for parks too. They're beefy, and similar to 187 Pros. Very comfy, and have a ton of padding. I wore them snowboarding once, under my snow pants, when I was learning how to do harder, faster toeside carves. I slid out on them plenty, and taken a few botched landings on my knees on them and felt nothing. Great pads, but I've yet to take a fall on them skating, thankfully.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I just googled for instructional skate videos and found this list at about.com:

http://skateboard.about.com/od/tricktips/tp/Top_Skate_Trick_Tip_Videos.htm

1. Skateboarding Explained
2. Tony Hawk's Trick Tips Volume One
3. Transworld Show Me The Way
4. Zero to Hero Skateboarding: The Basics
5. Tony Hawk's Trick Tips 3: Secrets of Skateboarding
6. Powell Basic Training Plus
7. Tony Hawk's Trick Tips 2: Essentials of Street
8. 1st Step
9. Starting Point
10. Trick Tips with Willy Santos

Is this list still valid/outdated? I know the first two and think they are pretty cool, Skateboarding Explained has better camera angles IIRC.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

If any of you live in d.c. I'm skating at the little park at 11 th & Q right now. Also: this weather is retarded. Christ it's so hot.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I just turned 21 and haven't skated since I was about 14, but am trying to get back into it. Even though it was before my time, I used to love all the old school stuff and rode these gigantic hammerhead style boards and thought Christian Hosoi was a god, even though he was in jail at the time. I used to like pools the best but don't even know where they are anymore.

Anyway, since I used to ride such gigantic decks, I've been thinking of getting at least an 8". I'm 5'8" 140lbs, so that should be okay, yeah? Should I just get an entire new complete? I think my trucks are still fine, but they're these massive Gullwings from, like, 1990 that my cousin gave to me when I first started and they may be too big for new style decks?

I forgot how fun it was. I can at least still ollie, and once I realized that I immideately started trying to hit sets and just busted my rear end all over the place and had a blast anyway. Probably won't be like the old days of hanging at the elementary school, drinking a thousand Jolt colas, and skating from dawn til past dark, but it's still as exhilirating as I remember it.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm 6' and I've been skating 8'' since I started back a couple years ago. That should be fine though I wouldn't go with anything smaller. You'll probably need to get new trucks so yeah the new complete is probably the way to go. If you don't end up getting something local check out this goon run website that offers goony discounts: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3297961&pagenumber=1

I encourage you to dive right in again. I wish I had never stopped. You still have some youth on you so get crackin'!

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Antebellum Sausages posted:

Anyway, since I used to ride such gigantic decks, I've been thinking of getting at least an 8". I'm 5'8" 140lbs, so that should be okay, yeah?

You're roughly the same height/weight as me and I've had no problems with 7.75" to 8" boards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Hosoi is still really sick! Has anyone seen Krooked Gnargnar?