Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
This scene kills me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekEqEplAzDw&feature=player_embedded

The part where Newman rants about junk mail, and Kramer repeats it for awhile before he realizes what is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
There's 4 or 5 times throughout the series where Newman segues into an increasingly agitated tirade about a peeve in his life and someone (Jerry, Kramer, postal employee of superior rank) has to jolt him out of it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cane Break posted:

what in the gently caress is he talking about with that pocket stuff

I have no idea, the only thing I can think of is Back to the Future II.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

For a little while in the early 90's it was fashionable to have your pockets turned out. Also backward pants. Good times.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Man, if you made it to the top 10, and then went on to NOT win, you would have been better of not even playing.
Maybe he saw JFK Jr.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

80k posted:

This scene kills me:

The part where Newman rants about junk mail, and Kramer repeats it for awhile before he realizes what is going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hox-ni8geIw

I couldn't find the clip from the episode I'm thinking of, but this one will do. I think it's called "The Betrayal" - Newman pulls up in a car, chatting up some girl with him - right in the middle of telling her how "all certified mail is registered... but registered mail is not necessarily certified."

Oh, and zip codes? They're meaningless.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

mints posted:

I think it's supposed to be the same guy though, isn't he wearing a Jiffy Park shirt in both occasions?

hall n oates mom posted:

It is the same guy, I wasn't implying that either of them were recast. Simply changed jobs for a quick, precise gag.

This episode was just on MyNetworkTV and I noticed that since it's the same guy, there's a sign in the background indicating that he works at "Jiffy Dump" :v:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I always liked "The Reverse Peephole" episode. Just the idea of reversing a peephole so Kramer could see if anyone was waiting to jump him cracks me up. Plus the 8-Ball jacket was in that episode.

80k posted:

This scene kills me:

That scene was funny, but how many TV shows and movies are going to use the "Friend A feeds lines to Friend B who is talking to a girl" gag?

edit: I've always wondered, are zip codes really meaningless?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
From that lady gaga article.

quote:

"I'm not one of these all-publicity-is-good people. People talk about you need exposure -- you could die of exposure."

That's pretty clever if it's an off-the-cuff remark and not a bit.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

wa27 posted:

That scene was funny, but how many TV shows and movies are going to use the "Friend A feeds lines to Friend B who is talking to a girl" gag?

It's Cyrano de Bergerac, so it's pretty much just a public domain comedy bit at this point.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

wa27 posted:

I always liked "The Reverse Peephole" episode. Just the idea of reversing a peephole so Kramer could see if anyone was waiting to jump him cracks me up. Plus the 8-Ball jacket was in that episode.

I might have mentioned this, but me and a friend of mine reversed our peepholes in our freshman dorm.

I mean...what if someone was waiting to ambush us with a sock full of pennies?!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

DrBouvenstein posted:

I might have mentioned this, but me and a friend of mine reversed our peepholes in our freshman dorm.

I mean...what if someone was waiting to ambush us with a sock full of pennies?!

Is your name Gack?

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

neoboman posted:

I would say the backwards episode is up there (or down there).

That episode had one of my favorite George/Jerry moments.

GEORGE: Not me! Him! His fault! He betrayed me!
JERRY: (Pleading) George, I'm sorry..
GEORGE: You can stuff your sorries in a sack, Mister!
JERRY: I don't know what that means.

Also, when George is pissed and walks up to Jerry during the flight.

GEORGE: Hello, friend. Enjoying the flight?

JERRY: Coach to India - The only way to go.

GEORGE: Good one. Very funny. You're very funny, Jerry. That's what I always tell people. (Yelling out) Jerry Seinfeld's a funny guy!

JERRY: You all right?

GEORGE: Of course I'm all right. I'm here with my girl. Nina. And what better way to pass the time than gabbing with my best friend.. with whom there are no secrets. (Flashes two intertwined fingers) Like this. Since the fourth grade.

JERRY: Hey, didn't I beat you up in the fourth grade?

GEORGE: Funny guy! (Points to Jerry) Right here!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

wa27 posted:

edit: I've always wondered, are zip codes really meaningless?

No, ZIP codes are not meaningless at all.

Postal zones for large cities had been around since the 1940's, but a more general system was needed by the 1960s. The 'father' of the ZIP code (it should be capitalized since it stands for Zone Improvement Plan), Robert Moon, actually submitted the idea for ZIP codes back in 1944, but it wasn't implemented until 1963 and even then ZIP codes weren't mandatory until 1967. Also, the USPS only used the first 3 numbers of Moons plan.

The first 3 numbers of a ZIP code represent the sectional center facility, which it just a large processing center. All the mail for the area goes there first and then it is sorted again by the last two numbers in the zip code. From there the mail is sent out to correct local post office which then sorts the local mail into the delivery routes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

mojo1701a posted:

Is your name Gack?
Sounds... made up to me.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Kramer kicking the guys counter top at the calzone place is great.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I love 'The Muffin Tops' episode. First of all you have Kramer giving a reality tour (The last thing this guy is qualified to give a tour of is reality), then you have George being a tourist (No offense, but this city would eat you alive George), then you have Jerry shaving his chest (it's an old wives tale. Is it? IS IT REALLY?) and finally you have the titular muffin tops and the problems disposing the stumps.

It is just all woven together so loving well that I can't stop laughing during the entire episode. Anyone who says the last two seasons were the low seasons is just not right in the head.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

TMMadman posted:

I love 'The Muffin Tops' episode. First of all you have Kramer giving a reality tour (The last thing this guy is qualified to give a tour of is reality), then you have George being a tourist (No offense, but this city would eat you alive George), then you have Jerry shaving his chest (it's an old wives tale. Is it? IS IT REALLY?) and finally you have the titular muffin tops and the problems disposing the stumps.

It is just all woven together so loving well that I can't stop laughing during the entire episode. Anyone who says the last two seasons were the low seasons is just not right in the head.

I thought the Wolf parody at the end was funny. :shobon:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

TMMadman posted:

Several stores now sell muffin tops...but the problem is, they didn't learn anything from the episode! They back a whole top! They need to back a whole muffin and pop the top!

(Now I KNOW I've posted this before...right?)

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

I thought the Wolf parody at the end was funny. :shobon:

Ooooooooooooooooh that feels good!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

LividLiquid posted:

Sounds... made up to me.

That's Joe Mayo.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Yeah. Gack sounds Dutch.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

TMMadman posted:

Postal zones for large cities had been around since the 1940's, but a more general system was needed by the 1960s. The 'father' of the ZIP code (it should be capitalized since it stands for Zone Improvement Plan), Robert Moon, actually submitted the idea for ZIP codes back in 1944, but it wasn't implemented until 1963 and even then ZIP codes weren't mandatory until 1967. Also, the USPS only used the first 3 numbers of Moons plan.

The first 3 numbers of a ZIP code represent the sectional center facility, which it just a large processing center. All the mail for the area goes there first and then it is sorted again by the last two numbers in the zip code. From there the mail is sent out to correct local post office which then sorts the local mail into the delivery routes.

That's all well and good, but I just KNOW these extra 4 numbers I'm starting to see at the end of zipcodes are pure bullshit. Just like sheep cloning.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

OldSenileGuy posted:

That's all well and good, but I just KNOW these extra 4 numbers I'm starting to see at the end of zipcodes are pure bullshit. Just like sheep cloning.

I always wondered about zip codes myself, as I had always been pretty reasonably sure that there were more than 99,999 addresses in the USA. The sorting facility thing makese sense, though I'm still suprised that there's less than 999 of them. You learn something new every day. What a great thread this is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TMMadman posted:

I also love Jerry's bewilderment at trying to figure out if his girlfriend likes hairless or hairy men, using her happiness at seeing dogs as his barometer. That's the same episode, right?

"Mmmm hairless, that's the way to go!"

MillionsV
Jun 11, 2010
A few pages back, someone was asking what our least favorite episodes were.

Mine was on today.

The Suicide

The entire episode just feels so... off. I feel the same way about The Parking Garage. There is something missing in those two episodes. I wish I could put my finger on it.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

kolby posted:

That episode had one of my favorite George/Jerry moments.

GEORGE: Not me! Him! His fault! He betrayed me!
JERRY: (Pleading) George, I'm sorry..
GEORGE: You can stuff your sorries in a sack, Mister!
JERRY: I don't know what that means.

Also, when George is pissed and walks up to Jerry during the flight.

GEORGE: Hello, friend. Enjoying the flight?

JERRY: Coach to India - The only way to go.

GEORGE: Good one. Very funny. You're very funny, Jerry. That's what I always tell people. (Yelling out) Jerry Seinfeld's a funny guy!

JERRY: You all right?

GEORGE: Of course I'm all right. I'm here with my girl. Nina. And what better way to pass the time than gabbing with my best friend.. with whom there are no secrets. (Flashes two intertwined fingers) Like this. Since the fourth grade.

JERRY: Hey, didn't I beat you up in the fourth grade?

GEORGE: Funny guy! (Points to Jerry) Right here!

I laughed out loud a couple times reading this, and it made me realize that most of the really good sitcoms since Seinfeld (The Office, 30 Rock, Arrested Development, Always Sunny), as funny as they may be, still don't hold a candle to Seinfeld in terms of pure, hilarious writing.

I guess what I'm saying is that with Seinfeld the scripts elicit more actual laughter and less "oh I see what they did there, that is humorous" from me.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Just imagine how different the show would be if any of the main characters were casted differently. I don't think it would be possible for anyone to pull off George as well as Jason Alexander did.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Jingleheimer posted:

Just imagine how different the show would be if any of the main characters were casted differently. I don't think it would be possible for anyone to pull off George as well as Jason Alexander did.

You can see how Larry David would have done it on this season of Curb. Prettay, prettay bad.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

robot roll call posted:

You can see how Larry David would have done it on this season of Curb. Prettay, prettay bad.

That was more LD doing a george impression. I think if he had been cast from the start, he would have more or less played himself.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
A big, juicy van.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Where else have I seen the cop in the diner that Jerry asks to protect him from Crazy Joe Davola? He looks so familiar and I can't put my finger on it.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Klaus Kinski posted:

A big, juicy van.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

Where else have I seen the cop in the diner that Jerry asks to protect him from Crazy Joe Davola? He looks so familiar and I can't put my finger on it.

It's Tackleberry from Police Academy, isn't it?

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
My favorite part of Festivus is poor man's Jack Black sheepishly parroting "I'm a m-"

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Jerusalem posted:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0333701/

It is. I looked at the first 50 entries and saw nothing I could even remember watching, turns out I had to scroll down.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Jerusalem posted:

Aha, that's it, thanks!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh gently caress he's been dead nearly 10 years? :wtc:

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005
NO NO NO we do not have images of fat guys sucking each others dicks in our custom titles!

TMMadman posted:

Sorry to call you out on this as it is very pedantic. However, what I've bolded is somewhat incorrect. In most every publication house's style guide you'll see that acronyms, such as Zip, Laser, Fifa, Nato, etc. only have the first letter capitalized (being proper nouns) since the abbreviation is pronounced as a word. You would only capitalize every letter with an initialism, where every letter is said such as USA (which is not pronounced Oh-sa).

Sorry for the newspaper geek coming out of me, I'll continue the Seinfeld dissection.

I remember the closest we ever came to meeting any of Kramer's unseen friends (Bob Sacameno, Gomez) was in one late season episode where one of them is in a porto-john with Kramer outside. Anyone remember the episode?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I believe that's the very Zip-code-related episode the other guy was talking about: "The Betrayal", the backwards episode. Kramer bangs on the john, says, "Come on, Lomez, we're gonna miss the movie!" Then Newman pulls up beside him in the street, chatting up the hot supermodel about Zip codes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.
DJ from Roseanne is in "The Apology" as a kid bothering Jason (James Spader) at Baskin Robins. Edit: Worlds collide!