Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Petey posted:

Man I didn't realize my former business partner was the dregs of humanity.

By singlehandedly, I mean we used to have a bunch of camwhores in DPPH until I derailed belindashort's thread by making fun of her fanboys thereby causing a bunch of drama and then Lowtax decided to ban all homegrown.

I am truly a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skellycakes
Dec 2, 2005

mediocre!
Edit: Figured out this'd be better asked in the legal questions thread! I'm dumb!

skellycakes fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 24, 2010

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

By singlehandedly, I mean we used to have a bunch of camwhores in DPPH until I derailed belindashort's thread by making fun of her fanboys thereby causing a bunch of drama and then Lowtax decided to ban all homegrown.

I am truly a hero.
That was you? Good job goon

true story: the DPPH offshoot forum also banned homegrown for much the same reason!

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

InternetRulesLawyer posted:

I don't see where people are getting that Remedial is scamming people in real life. There's links all over the NH bar website about this case. The New Hampshire bar apparently backs Dargon and other real estate attorneys from oversight from the Banking Department and apparently a Superior Court judge agrees. The NH Banking Commissioner is being removed by the governor and executive council for incompetence. The law looks really, really poorly worded and poorly thought out, too. Even the ABA thinks the law is dumb and overbroad.
InternetRulesLawyer what is your opinion on the private possession of nuclear weapons

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adar posted:

That was you? Good job goon

true story: the DPPH offshoot forum also banned homegrown for much the same reason!

It's in my rear end, not my cooter.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

gvibes posted:

Holy crap. A test score on a resume would be an insta-trash for me.

Is it finance-related? They love the tests.

Still do not do this for a finance-related position. For a finance-related position you should include a deal sheet listing the deals you've done. Taking the LSAT is not a deal.

Soothing Vapors posted:

SlyFrog posts are literally the best posts

InternetRulesLawyer posted:

I don't see where people are getting that Remedial is scamming people in real life. There's links all over the NH bar website about this case. The New Hampshire bar apparently backs Dargon and other real estate attorneys from oversight from the Banking Department and apparently a Superior Court judge agrees. The NH Banking Commissioner is being removed by the governor and executive council for incompetence. The law looks really, really poorly worded and poorly thought out, too. Even the ABA thinks the law is dumb and overbroad.

There's even a chronology of what happened that makes it sound like everybody was surprised by what the Banking Department did:

tl;dr a guy steals video game money and that makes him a real life criminal mastermind who apparently got 10 other lawyers to go along with him???

I think as lawyers it can be very easy to confuse "the thing that my client/I am doing is ok to do" and "there is an argument that you can do the thing we are doing" and I think it's important to take a step back and think about this sometimes. Of course lawyers should be able to help clients with mortgage modifications - some of the basic jobs lawyers do is advising clients about contracts and helping clients with disputes. But the manner in which one goes about doing it is pretty important.

From your first link: "the NH Banking Department's...requiring attorneys to be licensed as mortgage originators in order to assist clients with mortgage modifications" - this is, on its face, a bad decision, but it's probably bad because of what attorneys are doing in this market.

I don't really care about whether or not some guy stole video game money (unless the story is funny in which case can someone please link it?), but the idea that ten other lawyers going along with something means it's ok is silly. From a very brief look at what's going on, the attorneys in this market look predatory. I'd be curious to hear if you have a different perspective.

Mookie posted:

Protip: don't steal people's money, in EVE or in loan modification scams. It makes Baby Jesus cry.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Mr. D. "the Dragon" Dargon, I would just like to reiterate that I would very much like to do a phone interview with Mr. Donald Leder Esq. and/or his beard. I would be happy to pay him for his time, although probably not $60 mil.

Do you think he would be opposed to a facebook fanclub for his beard and fancy clothes? What sort of footwear does he favor? I'm really hoping he wears those curled up elf-shoes. That would be awesome.

Thank you for your time.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

evilweasel posted:

stealing money in eve is legit, though the circumstances were hilariously pathetic (pay my rent!)

swindling broke people losing their houses out of $2,500 though, that's just awful

But dude even the ABA thinks the rule is overbroad! I mean if anyone out there is going to crack down on scams in the legal industry, its the ABA!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

builds character posted:

Still do not do this for a finance-related position. For a finance-related position you should include a deal sheet listing the deals you've done. Taking the LSAT is not a deal.
I was thinking more along the lines of quantitative trading-type positions. I recall them asking people for SAT/ACT. But I still wouldn't put it on a resume.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

builds character posted:

I don't really care about whether or not some guy stole video game money (unless the story is funny in which case can someone please link it?), but the idea that ten other lawyers going along with something means it's ok is silly. From a very brief look at what's going on, the attorneys in this market look predatory. I'd be curious to hear if you have a different perspective.

The short version:

Remedial founded and ran Goonfleet, the EVE goon group, for some time (year or two). As one of the last things he did, he raised money for a titan - the biggest ship you could have in-game, useful as poo poo for some things and at that time invincible. I think he raised something like 50 billion in in-game currency - to put that in perspective, you can buy 30 days worth of playtime for ~300m, and that playtime is ~$15. At the same time, he got cut off by his parents (the reasons why are unknown to anyone but Remedial, he claims because they didn't like his fiance but who knows), so he begged for rent money (and got it!) on the goonfleet forums. He also implemented a space libertarian policy which failed completely. He then quit (largely because the alliance was on the brink of being destroyed) without turning over control of the titan fund. About a month later, he announced he'd stolen it, though some money was recovered I think through some less than legitimate means. He then ebayed the isk.

The real kicker in all of this is Remedial is a fervent libertarian which is ironic on several levels. Oh, and other goonfleet directors were the only people at his wedding.

Some time later one of the better goonfleet trolls posed as someone interested in a threesome with remedial and his wife and conned remedial into sending pictures of his penis (mistake). Some time later I believe the same person faxed it to his law office - inappropriate, sure but hilarious. I mean "uh so boss why is someone faxing us this dick picture over and over again?"

All of that stuff is hilarious, and almost nobody really bears a grudge - though it's great fun to troll him over it - since hell, I made as much as he stole just this month in EVE, goonfleet has titans, and another goonfleet CEO topped his theft by an order of magnitude. It just will never cease to be the most hilarious refutation of libertarianism ever.

Scamming broke people though is really not funny and is really a terrible thing to do. I can see that maybe he got himself in over his head and he can't do anything else but keep going to keep himself financially stable but it's sad and it's wrong, and even if he's right that it's technically legal, it shouldn't be.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 24, 2010

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What the gently caress is happening to this thread? Do we really need another discussion/explanation of the whole video game guild leader drama thing? Not picking on you, evilweasel, but one mention of bankruptcy law and whoosh this thread went off to the races about Mr. Dargon or whoever.

On an unrelated note, I am in the process of interviewing college seniors and recent grads for a low-paying administrative assistant position, and I just had a phone interview with one student who wants to go to law school for "international law and constitutional law." She doesn't like "international law" as much because she isn't that interested in principles of sovereignty, so she thinks constitutional law is a better fit for her.

To my credit, I did not laugh into the phone when she said this.

Tomorrow I'm going to interview some dude who does mixed martial arts on the side, was in a frat, and wants this job. Pretttty sure he's not gonna fit in at this office, even though I myself love mixed martial arts.

entris fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 24, 2010

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.

Linguica posted:

So I guess your year of deferred admission didn't result in a... deterred ambition :awesome:

PS seriously? You still want to go to law school? I'm not even going to try and yell at you

It's 98 degrees out today but... still... so cold... so lonely...

Yes, I deferred for one year and have been taking fashion design classes at the Fashion Institute of Technology. I'm doing really well and love it, but honestly can't see myself doing this as more than a hobby at this point. I occasionally pump myself up and tell myself I should apply for an actual fashion degree, but the fashion industry is also INCREDIBLY hard to get into and decently paying, non-suicide-inducing positions are apparently very rare. I also don't want to overwork my personal hobby so much that I loving hate doing it.

I am definitely still considering a doctorate in Psychology (PsyD) but loving 5 years of school and even more tuition than I'd pay for law school (= even more student debt) scare the poo poo out of me.

Whoever posted that Fashion Law link for Fordham... that is actually pretty exciting for me as someone who loves fashion and is somewhat interested in intellectual property. v:shobon:v

gently caress everything.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

entris posted:

Tomorrow I'm going to interview some dude who does mixed martial arts on the side, was in a frat, and wants this job. Pretttty sure he's not gonna fit in at this office, even though I myself love mixed martial arts.

Since you already have these three crucial pieces of info and have already determined that he's not gonna fit in at that office, why not call and let him know he's wasting his time? Or perhaps just advise him that he won't be getting the job, but if he'd like to interview anyway you'd be glad to accommodate him just to make note of the dumb things he will say so that you may mock him for your internet friends.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jack_tripper posted:

Since you already have these three crucial pieces of info and have already determined that he's not gonna fit in at that office, why not call and let him know he's wasting his time? Or perhaps just advise him that he won't be getting the job, but if he'd like to interview anyway you'd be glad to accommodate him just to make note of the dumb things he will say so that you may mock him for your internet friends.

Well, his cover letter and resume are good, and I don't want to dismiss a frat member just because I'm not a big fan of frats. He's not going to fit in if he's a big party animal and/or a meathead fighter type, but there are plenty of frat boys who aren't assholes and there are plenty of mixed martial arts people who are smart and reasonable. So despite these elements, I'm willing to spend twenty minutes to flesh out my picture of him, because his other credentials are acceptable.

edit: also, I don't have internet friends. :( I just post on the SA forums, which is not the same thing.

entris fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 24, 2010

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

entris posted:

Well, his cover letter and resume are good, and I don't want to dismiss a frat member just because I'm not a big fan of frats. He's not going to fit in if he's a big party animal and/or a meathead fighter type, but there are plenty of frat boys who aren't assholes and there are plenty of mixed martial arts people who are smart and reasonable. So despite these elements, I'm willing to spend twenty minutes to flesh out my picture of him, because his other credentials are acceptable.

edit: also, I don't have internet friends. :( I just post on the SA forums, which is not the same thing.

Fighters are weird eggs. From what I've seen over 6 years, it's divided 90/10 into people who believe their future is in fighting (not likely) and successful people who really hate themselves (a lot of which are litigators).

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainScraps posted:

Fighters are weird eggs. From what I've seen over 6 years, it's divided 90/10 into people who believe their future is in fighting (not likely) and successful people who really hate themselves (a lot of which are litigators).

Meh, I used to do a lot of that stuff in college and my first year in law school. I know plenty of reasonable people who do that stuff on the side.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
University of Dayton: TTT that doesn't have reference librarians available when I call during posted hours :mad:

Also I wouldn't have to call them if they didn't deny my initial request on piddling minutia. (Sorry I don't have an entire backlist of your podunk journal, jerks. I gave you the date that everyone else credited)

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

builds character posted:

Well, I'm the one who got the job, so obviously it isn't always a bad idea. The position is software engineering, one of the guys who made the hiring decisions is an ex-lawyer, and I put the test score in the bottom of my education section.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

_areaman posted:

one of the guys who made the hiring decisions is an ex-lawyer

He wanted to save you from law school.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

evilweasel posted:

The short version:

Remedial founded and ran Goonfleet, the EVE goon group, for some time (year or two). As one of the last things he did, he raised money for a titan - the biggest ship you could have in-game, useful as poo poo for some things and at that time invincible. I think he raised something like 50 billion in in-game currency - to put that in perspective, you can buy 30 days worth of playtime for ~300m, and that playtime is ~$15. At the same time, he got cut off by his parents (the reasons why are unknown to anyone but Remedial, he claims because they didn't like his fiance but who knows), so he begged for rent money (and got it!) on the goonfleet forums. He also implemented a space libertarian policy which failed completely. He then quit (largely because the alliance was on the brink of being destroyed) without turning over control of the titan fund. About a month later, he announced he'd stolen it, though some money was recovered I think through some less than legitimate means. He then ebayed the isk.

The real kicker in all of this is Remedial is a fervent libertarian which is ironic on several levels. Oh, and other goonfleet directors were the only people at his wedding.

Some time later one of the better goonfleet trolls posed as someone interested in a threesome with remedial and his wife and conned remedial into sending pictures of his penis (mistake). Some time later I believe the same person faxed it to his law office - inappropriate, sure but hilarious. I mean "uh so boss why is someone faxing us this dick picture over and over again?"

All of that stuff is hilarious, and almost nobody really bears a grudge - though it's great fun to troll him over it - since hell, I made as much as he stole just this month in EVE, goonfleet has titans, and another goonfleet CEO topped his theft by an order of magnitude. It just will never cease to be the most hilarious refutation of libertarianism ever.

Scamming broke people though is really not funny and is really a terrible thing to do. I can see that maybe he got himself in over his head and he can't do anything else but keep going to keep himself financially stable but it's sad and it's wrong, and even if he's right that it's technically legal, it shouldn't be.

:aaaaa:

I agree, scamming is still bad regardless of his current position and its (questionable) legality.

entris posted:

What the gently caress is happening to this thread? Do we really need another discussion/explanation of the whole video game guild leader drama thing? Not picking on you, evilweasel, but one mention of bankruptcy law and whoosh this thread went off to the races about Mr. Dargon or whoever.

On an unrelated note, I am in the process of interviewing college seniors and recent grads for a low-paying administrative assistant position, and I just had a phone interview with one student who wants to go to law school for "international law and constitutional law." She doesn't like "international law" as much because she isn't that interested in principles of sovereignty, so she thinks constitutional law is a better fit for her.

To my credit, I did not laugh into the phone when she said this.

I did not know about this internet drama so the explanation was helpful and made me laugh.

But what will she do once she graduates?

_areaman posted:

Well, I'm the one who got the job, so obviously it isn't always a bad idea. The position is software engineering, one of the guys who made the hiring decisions is an ex-lawyer, and I put the test score in the bottom of my education section.

I would accept "put your LSAT on your resume if you are applying for a software engineering position where one of the persons making hiring decisions is an ex-lawyer" as an exception to the general rule of do not put your LSAT on your resume.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

entris posted:

You might be surprised by this one.

TRANSFER CHAT: I still have no rank or official transcript to send. Duke, NYU and Harvard pretty much told me "sorry, hope it works out soon" but Columbia, Penn and Berkeley said they'd like to take a look at a faxed unofficial version. Applying to Michigan now for sure because the deadline is further out and I really need a spot now that's a little more feasible (just based on Linguica and Transferapps).

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

amishsexpot posted:

Whoever posted that Fashion Law link for Fordham... that is actually pretty exciting for me as someone who loves fashion and is somewhat interested in intellectual property. v:shobon:v

Someone please contradict me if I'm wrong about this, but...

Unless you're looking to go out of law school immediate and go solo, which is a perfectly fine (but maybe not financially sound) thing to do, you're not going to get hired by a fashion house or other LVMH corporation just because you studied fashion law. They're going to go for the most prestigious people they can get from the most prestigious firms they can find (and probably prefer the ones they already retain) and because everyone wants to be in that industry, that means you're locked out if you're not working in the AmLaw 100.

If you're going to law school to get into the entertainment, sports, or fashion industries, that's pretty much what you're going to deal with. The Fordham program might be nice for networking that could pay off in the future, but it will mean pretty much jackshit for the first 1-5 years after you graduate.

In the end, it will all depend on your 1L grades in classes that will have very little to do with how well you know the product lines and philosophies of Vera Wang or Donna Karan. As a lawyer, you're there to do the paperwork or collect the bill. You're not there to be anywhere close to the creative side.

EDIT: I'm sorry if this sounds too bile-ridden. Your post hit a little close to home because I spent a lot of time in law school trying to get involved in entertainment law and got a really harsh wake up call after talking to various alumni and going to multiple career advisory panels during and after law school about this field.

EDIT 2: After looking closer through that Fordham link, it does seem like it might be a helpful way of getting internship experience, which would at least be nice to fill up the 1st and/or 2nd year summers. I still think it's a scam as far as post-graduation job prospects go, though.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 24, 2010

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Every school has dumbass ___________ Law classes that no one needs to take. They're great for your third year when you just wanna coast and guard/marginally improve your GPA.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I took Jewish law but it didn't make me Head Jew. :colbert:

edit: I meant "it didn't get me a job with the international Jewish conspiracy"

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I took Jewish law but it didn't make me Head Jew. :colbert:

edit: I meant "it didn't get me a job with the international Jewish conspiracy"

That sucks, man. :(

Re: the frat boy martial artist that I interviewed earlier: Turned out to be a pretty social, personable guy; didn't seem like the brightest bulb in the box, however. I'd bring him back for an in-person interview except...

I just interviewed a Ph.D. candidate who was personable, smart, and needs a part-time job while finishing the degree. I think we're going to hire this person.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

evilweasel posted:

oh god I did not know this, thank you for this gift

amishsexpot posted:

I am definitely still considering a doctorate in Psychology (PsyD) but loving 5 years of school and even more tuition than I'd pay for law school (= even more student debt) scare the poo poo out of me.

Fashion law is a booming field right now. Fashion is counter-cyclical (everyone always needs to look nice!), so specializing in it at the illustrious Fordham College of Laws is probably a smart move. Good luck!

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 24, 2010

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

Fashion law is a booming field right now.

Since everyone in this thread thinks I'm a moron anyway, I'll just ask. Are you serious about this or is my sarcasm detector failing again?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TyChan posted:

Since everyone in this thread thinks I'm a moron anyway, I'll just ask. Are you serious about this or is my sarcasm detector failing again?

He's totally serious.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

entris posted:

He's totally serious.

3 years of law school and 5 years of being around lawyers has dulled my ability to pick up on sarcasm and irony. If you spend enough time around deluded people devoted to perpetuating rules and systems with little-to-no self-awareness, it does get to you. I've seriously heard similar things spoken seriously in this economy, albeit from risk-averse attorneys who don't have the proverbial (or literal) balls to actually go forward with it.

From my experience, lawyers have an annoying tendency to warp the difficulty of any other profession that is not law. They either assume that everything that is not a firm is either completely impossible to pull off or it's some kind nepotistic scam producing easy money for other people. Has anyone else noticed this?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Defleshed posted:

But dude even the ABA thinks the rule is overbroad! I mean if anyone out there is going to crack down on scams in the legal industry, its the ABA!

I could not stop laughing for like 10 minutes.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

oh god I did not know this, thank you for this gift

The audio is kind of long, but here is the story of Remedial's wedding. I usually hate stories like this, but this one is amazing and is listenable even if you know absolutely nothing about the people involved.

http://death.innomi.com/uploads/wedding-story.mp3

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

amishsexpot posted:

It's 98 degrees out today but... still... so cold... so lonely...

Yes, I deferred for one year and have been taking fashion design classes at the Fashion Institute of Technology. I'm doing really well and love it, but honestly can't see myself doing this as more than a hobby at this point. I occasionally pump myself up and tell myself I should apply for an actual fashion degree, but the fashion industry is also INCREDIBLY hard to get into and decently paying, non-suicide-inducing positions are apparently very rare. I also don't want to overwork my personal hobby so much that I loving hate doing it.

I remember you posted some pics in some other thread and you looked pretty hot. I bet you'd be able to get a decent job out of Fordham just based on looks. /notastalker

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

amishsexpot posted:

In terms of art & entertainment law, lots of schools have programs for that sort of thing which they hawk furiously. I know schools in LA all trumpet their negotiation and representation classes for prospective students who want to be agents and the like, and other schools have "sports law" programs or whatever.

But the one common thread I've heard from anyone who's actually been in those field is that your success or failure is hugely dependent on your ability to make connections in that field. Anecdotally, one of the few people I haven't dissuaded from going to law school is a former LSAT student of mine from Dallas who became close friends with several student-athletes that are now NFL players and since he's a networking machine he's always meeting people and gladhanding. Conversely, I know a couple of people who went off thinking that they'd just exit law school and bomb agencies with resumes, and the rest would take care of itself. That hasn't worked out at all.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Elotana posted:

Anecdotally, one of the few people I haven't dissuaded from going to law school is a former LSAT student of mine from Dallas who became close friends with several student-athletes that are now NFL players and since he's a networking machine he's always meeting people and gladhanding. Conversely, I know a couple of people who went off thinking that they'd just exit law school and bomb agencies with resumes, and the rest would take care of itself. That hasn't worked out at all.

Hmm. Why didn't he just become an agent straight-off then? Did he really want to just do the law part? Was he already in the agent world and took time off to become a lawyer and position himself better that way?

I would think any time he spends outside of school while other agents are snapping up his athlete friends just puts him at a disadvantage and 3 years is a long time to be out of a dynamic field of constant turnover and shifting alliances.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

amishsexpot posted:

What locations are you looking at? For good PhD/PsyD programs you receive complete tuition remission and even get a stipend (~12-30k a year). Depending on where you are and your situation you can graduate with 0 debt.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

TyChan posted:

Hmm. Why didn't he just become an agent straight-off then? Did he really want to just do the law part? Was he already in the agent world and took time off to become a lawyer and position himself better that way?

I would think any time he spends outside of school while other agents are snapping up his athlete friends just puts him at a disadvantage and 3 years is a long time to be out of a dynamic field of constant turnover and shifting alliances.
Maybe, I haven't talked to him in a while and I don't know anything about the nuts and bolts of how agencies work. But I can say he was a drat sight more credible as a future agent than a starry-eyed 1L who loves Entourage but doesn't actually know anyone in the field and thinks that going to UCLA and taking sports law classes is a sure-fire ticket to the high life.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TyChan posted:

3 years of law school and 5 years of being around lawyers has dulled my ability to pick up on sarcasm and irony. If you spend enough time around deluded people devoted to perpetuating rules and systems with little-to-no self-awareness, it does get to you. I've seriously heard similar things spoken seriously in this economy, albeit from risk-averse attorneys who don't have the proverbial (or literal) balls to actually go forward with it.

From my experience, lawyers have an annoying tendency to warp the difficulty of any other profession that is not law. They either assume that everything that is not a firm is either completely impossible to pull off or it's some kind nepotistic scam producing easy money for other people. Has anyone else noticed this?

I was trying to give an ambiguous response that would screw with your defective sarcasm detector :( You were asking whether someone else was sarcastic so I wrote in with a response that could be taken as sarcastic or serious.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Elotana posted:

Maybe, I haven't talked to him in a while and I don't know anything about the nuts and bolts of how agencies work. But I can say he was a drat sight more credible as a future agent than a starry-eyed 1L who loves Entourage but doesn't actually know anyone in the field and thinks that going to UCLA and taking sports law classes is a sure-fire ticket to the high life.

You're right. I applied to the agent-trainee program of the William Morris Agency after graduation and the biggest section of their application was a list of "people you knew in the entertainment sectors."

That's when I realized I was screwed.

I later heard from someone I met who became a trainee that another person we took a test with got on an upwardly mobile track at the agency because he had his picture taken with Natalie Portman and there were a lot of rumors that the two were dating for a while.

So anyway, the lesson of this kids is that to succeed in life, don't go to law school. Instead, date Natalie Portman.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

sigmachiev posted:

TRANSFER CHAT: I still have no rank or official transcript to send. Duke, NYU and Harvard pretty much told me "sorry, hope it works out soon" but Columbia, Penn and Berkeley said they'd like to take a look at a faxed unofficial version. Applying to Michigan now for sure because the deadline is further out and I really need a spot now that's a little more feasible (just based on Linguica and Transferapps).

http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=25d7bafe-6cf5-40c1-b79c-ab1d396f558f&ID=24 posted:

It is unfortunate that lately, when the subject of transfer applications comes up, that 1970s song starts running through my head. I don’t like that song, and it also makes me think of the movie Reservoir Dogs, which is a troubling film. But I fear I am doomed, because I quite decidedly feel like Michigan is stuck in the middle between two unfortunate trends.

Recently, almost every day has brought with it some inquiry from a transfer applicant to Michigan who can’t satisfy our pretty straightforward list of application requirements because of some action on the part of the school from which they’re hoping to transfer. The strategies run a gamut.

I’ve heard about an indirect, foot-dragging approach—akin to how a teenager might approach a chore. The administrator charged with sending out the necessary documentation, like transcripts, or letters of good standing (meant to certify that a student has met all outstanding tuition obligations and isn’t involved in any ongoing disciplinary issue), delays performing the task, or expresses reluctance, or even debates would-be applicants about whether the proposed transfer is a good idea. Students that have faced this sort of understandably unpleasant conversation report feeling totally stymied by it—they understand the school to be saying, “We refuse to provide you with a letter to a school we don’t want you to apply to.” But even if a school wouldn’t go quite that far if directly challenged, the implicit message to the student is, “If you do this, we will be unhappy with you.” With perhaps a subtext of, “and have you noticed I’m the person in charge of your transcript?” But having worked inside an educational institution for a long time, I’m here to tell you—no one is going to hold it against you. Chances are, in fact, that the next student request will drive the conversation right off their radar. Aspiring lawyers who really want to transfer should be able to get past the hints of displeasure.

Sometimes schools are more direct, but confine themselves to erecting minor roadblocks. Law schools that normally rank their students, for example, might wait to do so until right before the start of the second year. But while a class rank is very useful to us in assessing a transfer application, particularly when the school in question is one from which we don’t typically see many applications, not having one doesn’t make it utterly impossible to assess the application. And there is, presumably, a legitimate reason for wanting to delay; if a school ranks everyone, and then a few people transfer out, the school has to re-do that work—tiresome—and also has to advertise to all the remaining students that a couple of their cohort transferred—possibly demoralizing. This approach strikes an understandable balance.

But some schools, I think, go too far. We’ve heard about a school that makes would-be applicants who wants transcripts mailed out sign a form relinquishing their right to be on law review or participate in moot court—pretty coercive, given the lack of certainty about the success of a transfer application. And last year, I was told about a school that makes a student pay his or her next semester’s tuition before the school will send off a transcript. I really, really want to believe I misunderstood that one.

The faculty letter of recommendation is another pretty essential piece of the evaluation process. It seems to me that a student is entitled to a letter of recommendation as an implicit part of the educational exchange (although I am not of the school of thought that says it is a breach of ethics to write anything other than a favorable letter). Yesterday, an applicant forwarded an e-mail from a professor who said it was against his policy ever to write a letter of recommendation for transfer to another law school. That strikes me as frankly outrageous.

Blatant efforts to put the bottom line of the school ahead of the interests of individual students are discreditable. It is understandable that school administrators and faculty take a little umbrage if told, “I want to leave this law school and go to another law school because I think I will get a better education or have more career opportunities there.” But school policy shouldn’t be governed by hurt feelings. And it is simply undeniable that schools have obligations to support students who want to relocate for a whole host of personal reasons—ranging from “I want to be near a family member who is ill” to “I realize I completely hate this part of the country.”

So, that’s one end of the transfer spectrum. What’s at the other end? The schools that write people who were waitlisted as 1L applicants, or even denied, and encourage them to apply to transfer. The technique is clever—it taps into the human need for affirmation, explicitly dangling the possibility that the school that rejected you before will rectify its poor judgment. On the one hand, I completely get this mindset. I was waitlisted at my dad’s alma mater, and when I did well in my first year at Michigan, I considered whether a successful transfer application might not assuage my sense of rejection. (Reflecting on the fact that I would never actually want to change schools, I got over that impulse.) On the other—do the schools who are doing the chasing think it’s possible that the people they’re chasing aren’t aware of their existence? Are these desperate measures truly necessary? I find the apparent neediness… distasteful. And to the extent the point of the schools’ communication is to assure people they have a shot at admission, I suspect they’re misleading. Schools waitlist exponentially more people than they could possibly accommodate as transfers.

Now, it’s an unfortunate fact of human perception that we tend to blow out of proportion the negative bits of data. There are days where I am inclined to feel put upon and mistreated because of the two ends of the spectrum I have just described. But—a commitment to reality requires me to acknowledge that I only know of about 12 schools that engage in these shenanigans, and there are about 200 law schools in the country. So: we’re stuck in the middle with a lot of company. And that’s some comfort.

-Dean Z.
Assistant Dean and Director of Admissions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Chakron posted:

The audio is kind of long, but here is the story of Remedial's wedding. I usually hate stories like this, but this one is amazing and is listenable even if you know absolutely nothing about the people involved.

http://death.innomi.com/uploads/wedding-story.mp3

Hahaha goddamn I thought my life sucked because I'm stuck in buttfuck Missouri for depositions, and then I pour a gin & tonic and listen to this and all is right in the world.