Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Any tips for Demon's Souls? I'm getting it today. Any for Wild ARMS XF would be helpful as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

PrinnySquadron posted:

Any tips for Demon's Souls? I'm getting it today. Any for Wild ARMS XF would be helpful as well.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3106674

Here's the Demon's Souls thread. It'll have answers to most of your "beginner" questions. It's easy to get frustrated with that game because it's so easy to die, but being killed is really not that big a deal. If you find yourself breaking controllers or TVs, it may not be a game for you.

indubitably
Dec 3, 2008
Demon's Souls:

The easiest starting class is Royal because you get a laser beam to shoot at people and that helps. If you are trying to make a finely tuned pvp build then you already know all of this information and nobody cares what you think so go to gamefaqs and read ewgf's guide or https://demonssouls.wikidot.com and read up on that poo poo there.

Get used to dying. Actually, you need to learn to love dying because you should enjoy the game and this is what you are going to be doing for the majority of it.

Souls don't matter. When you die and lose your souls, you don't care because you can farm souls at the second part of the Shrine of Storms archstone after beating the first boss there (aka "4-2") much more efficiently than just creeping along making every level take 20x longer and throwing an autistic fit each time you wind up dying anyway.

Make sure to pick up the thief's ring (next to Ostrava on the ledge he starts on, just jump down to him) and the cling ring (bottom of the first set of stairs you go down to open the gate so you can bypass the first part of the level next time you die) before you finish the first level.

After beating the first boss pick up a heater shield from the blacksmith if you don't have one that blocks 100% of damage (you'll know that because when you block and you still have stamina, if your health goes down you need a new loving shield because that thing is garbage).

Next go to the Valley of Defilement. After ascending the ramp and killing two depraved ones, you will go a very short ways and see an item that you can drop down to to pick up on a ledge below you and to the left (I believe there may be some crap that you need to knock out of the way first). This is a mace that will help you kill the skeletons of world 4 (shrine of storms). After grabbing it, jump off to your death because gently caress this level it's hard as balls and annoying to boot and you should probably do it last.

Now you need a decent weapon. Go to the Shrine of Storms and learn how to beat those skeletons. Hint: block, and if they telegraph anything get out of their range, swing only after they are stunned after having blocked them successfully. You'll kill five of the rolling assholes and one archer (make sure to pull one at a time if there is a group of two) and come to a doorway (fog the first time you go through). Bear left and you will go over a trap (block!) and see a black skeleton through the door on your left. Definitely a good idea not to get hit by him if at all possible by rolling/running past him when he jumps at you and backstabbing him with your mace (??) to kill him. Or just don't kill him at all because you're really just here for the crescent falchion he is guarding.

So with your shiny new shield and your decent weapon (falchion) you have a big leg-up on a game that is going to frustrate you probably either way. But it is also an awesome game, and you are only going to get one first time going through it so don't gently caress it up with walk-throughs and spoilers.

As for stats, vitality and endurance are worth investing in (though endurance has a hard cap for gains at 40, and gains for vitality drop off after 40 and are negligible after 50). Faith of 16 and intelligence of 15 (or a silver coronet and 14 or so int) is required for the "second chance" miracle (you come back to life with half health if you didn't die falling off the world). Other stats should be kept at a minimum unless they affect the damage of your weapon. So if you want crushing weapons level strength and vitality about the same, dexterity for sharp weapons, faith for blessed weapons, or magic for moon weapons (also magic affects the damage of spells and faith affects the damage of miracles). Otherwise stats should probably be kept to the bare minimum for using whatever equipment you are using.

After you've beaten the game once you'll have the opportunity to New Game+, so at that point you should spoil the hell out of it and do all the things that require careful manipulation of world/character tendency.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Fray Joker posted:

Final Fantasy XIII

Don't sell any accessories you get, especially elemental resist rings. Most stuff in this game is not missable but those things can't really be replaced if you sell them and the elemental resist charms. Then you can't get the Treasure Hunter trophy ever and you will be ashamed forever.

Your characters have three native roles each. Halfway-ish through the game all the characters will have access to all six roles. Don't bother throwing CP into their non-native roles until you beat the game.

Play as offensively as possible, this will net you the highest battle ratings. Some enemies will even rape you on purpose if you sit back with too many Sentinels instead of just beating the poo poo out of them.

Make sure you use Libra/Librascope on stuff, it scans enemies for weaknesses and the AI will fight accordingly. It's not always a gamebreaker but finding an elemental or debuff weakness on an enemy can really save time and effort.

It's not the best game ever but if you enjoy the battle system you'll probably have quite a bit of fun throughout most of the game. If you find yourself not liking the fights once you get to use 3 characters at a time just stop playing, it won't get much better.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I just got Dirt 2 and I'm crashing everywhere and everything in the first track. Any tips? (I'm playing with a cheap ps2 controller knockoff if it matters). Tips for GRID would also be great.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Legends of Dragoon

It's pretty easy to get under-leveled by accident, since normal fights don't seem to give a lot of experience. Probably the best way to make sure your characters are strong enough is to focus on building up additions. If you've got all your additions maxed out, or all but the one you're currently using, you shouldn't hit any major roadblocks. But, like any RPG, save in multiple slots: there are a few pretty decent brick walls that can pop up, and you don't want to have to completely restart.

SpazmasterX posted:

Stuff about characters
I'd suggest playing around with all the characters. Kongol is pretty much crap, but Meru has magic, a healing spell, good magic defense (and most of the really big boss moves are magic, if I remember correctly), and is freakishly fast. Haschel is also fast, and hits pretty hard. They starts off weak in the beginning, but dominate by endgame. Lavits (Blossom Storm!) and Rose are good, too. Really, just avoid Kongol (his low speed and low magic defense make him a liability), and you'll be fine.

SpazmasterX posted:

There's a boss that the game tells you several times not to fight as a Dragoon. DON'T try to be a smartass and transform. You will lose very quickly.

There are at least two boss fights like this. You can transform for exactly one round. If you're still a Dragoon after that single attack, you're screwed. (Though, one of those fights responds to Dragoons with an instant death attack. If you're protected against instant death, nothing bad happens.)

I'd consider going to gamefaqs and going through the Repeat Items FAQ. Guides aren't in the spirit of this thread, but your inventory is limited, and having something you can use each and every fight makes it easier to bear. You might also want to grab the Stardust list. I guess you could find them all by yourself, if you really want to walk up to absolutely everything, hitting x everywhere. I'd rather play the game, though.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

StoryTime posted:

:words:

Thanks a lot, this is really helpful.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

indubitably posted:

Demon's Souls:

The easiest starting class is Royal because you get a laser beam to shoot at people and that helps. If you are trying to make a finely tuned pvp build then you already know all of this information and nobody cares what you think so go to gamefaqs and read ewgf's guide or https://demonssouls.wikidot.com and read up on that poo poo there.

Get used to dying. Actually, you need to learn to love dying because you should enjoy the game and this is what you are going to be doing for the majority of it.

Souls don't matter. When you die and lose your souls, you don't care because you can farm souls at the second part of the Shrine of Storms archstone after beating the first boss there (aka "4-2") much more efficiently than just creeping along making every level take 20x longer and throwing an autistic fit each time you wind up dying anyway.

Make sure to pick up the thief's ring (next to Ostrava on the ledge he starts on, just jump down to him) and the cling ring (bottom of the first set of stairs you go down to open the gate so you can bypass the first part of the level next time you die) before you finish the first level.

After beating the first boss pick up a heater shield from the blacksmith if you don't have one that blocks 100% of damage (you'll know that because when you block and you still have stamina, if your health goes down you need a new loving shield because that thing is garbage).

Next go to the Valley of Defilement. After ascending the ramp and killing two depraved ones, you will go a very short ways and see an item that you can drop down to to pick up on a ledge below you and to the left (I believe there may be some crap that you need to knock out of the way first). This is a mace that will help you kill the skeletons of world 4 (shrine of storms). After grabbing it, jump off to your death because gently caress this level it's hard as balls and annoying to boot and you should probably do it last.

Now you need a decent weapon. Go to the Shrine of Storms and learn how to beat those skeletons. Hint: block, and if they telegraph anything get out of their range, swing only after they are stunned after having blocked them successfully. You'll kill five of the rolling assholes and one archer (make sure to pull one at a time if there is a group of two) and come to a doorway (fog the first time you go through). Bear left and you will go over a trap (block!) and see a black skeleton through the door on your left. Definitely a good idea not to get hit by him if at all possible by rolling/running past him when he jumps at you and backstabbing him with your mace (??) to kill him. Or just don't kill him at all because you're really just here for the crescent falchion he is guarding.

So with your shiny new shield and your decent weapon (falchion) you have a big leg-up on a game that is going to frustrate you probably either way. But it is also an awesome game, and you are only going to get one first time going through it so don't gently caress it up with walk-throughs and spoilers.

As for stats, vitality and endurance are worth investing in (though endurance has a hard cap for gains at 40, and gains for vitality drop off after 40 and are negligible after 50). Faith of 16 and intelligence of 15 (or a silver coronet and 14 or so int) is required for the "second chance" miracle (you come back to life with half health if you didn't die falling off the world). Other stats should be kept at a minimum unless they affect the damage of your weapon. So if you want crushing weapons level strength and vitality about the same, dexterity for sharp weapons, faith for blessed weapons, or magic for moon weapons (also magic affects the damage of spells and faith affects the damage of miracles). Otherwise stats should probably be kept to the bare minimum for using whatever equipment you are using.

After you've beaten the game once you'll have the opportunity to New Game+, so at that point you should spoil the hell out of it and do all the things that require careful manipulation of world/character tendency.

Are these rings in the area for the Archstone of the Small King?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

HondaCivet posted:

I finally beat FFXIII so I wanted another RPG to slog through . . . I stumbled across Tales of the Abyss at a Gamestop and picked it up since, from what I saw, a lot of fans rate it as one of the best Tales games. I haven't played a Tales game before, is there anything I should know? Is the game worth gritting my teeth through the low-rent graphics and animations (well except for the face animations, those own)?

ps why are tales games so loving expensive used :psyduck:

I would recommend using a guide to find out how to get to Nam Cobanda.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

KeroKeroCola posted:

Someone mentioned King's Quest earlier, but what about King's Quest VI: Heir Today Gone Tomorrow?

My girlfriend and I have gotten a decent amount through the game for the first time, and I feel like we've missed some stuff. Are there any unmissable items or events early on? Are there multiple ways to beat the game, and if so, what do I need to ensure the best completion?

The biggest one is make sure you have a save ready before you enter the Labyrinth. The game will allow you to enter without everything you need I believe it was a brick and you'll end up stuck in a room you can't escape.

I can't remember anything that you couldn't backtrack to, but with any King's Quest game there's probably multiple gotcha, so save early & save often (in separate files)

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

PrinnySquadron posted:

Are these rings in the area for the Archstone of the Small King?

Yeah, the first area you visit before the other arches unlock.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah, the first area you visit before the other arches unlock.

AH, cheers. How does parrying work? sometimes it works, but more often than not, it doesn't.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You have to do it right before an attack connects, it's kind of tough to get the timing down. After the parry you can use R1 to do a riposte that does a huge amount of damage and is usually a 1 hit kill. Large shields can't parry.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

About to start Nwn2-Mask of the Betrayer and looking for some tips.
I am familiar with BG2 and NWN1, so i have the basics down.
I had heard that it was quite similar to Planescape Torment.
How close is it really? Do I need to load up every sort of dialog altering skill?
Are warlocks a viable class?

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

About to start Nwn2-Mask of the Betrayer and looking for some tips.
I am familiar with BG2 and NWN1, so i have the basics down.
I had heard that it was quite similar to Planescape Torment.
How close is it really? Do I need to load up every sort of dialog altering skill?
Are warlocks a viable class?

There isn't quite the "Play an WIS INT CHA Mage or you miss out on everything" situation that Planescape had, so don't worry too much about that.

Walocks are extremely viable, and benefit greatly from the lack of need to rest to re-up spells due to the...special mechanic I won't spoil in case you don't know about it. The Warlock Buddy is your friend, especially is you want to play something like this (You should, it was crazy fun).

You don't require all the social skills. Being really good at one or another will get you through fine, depending on where you fall on the Good/Bad scale.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Jive One posted:

I'm thinking about going through the Quest for Glory games starting with QFG2 since I've played 1 so much already. I'll be starting with the AGD remake of 2 as a wizard and going all the way to the end of 5.

First off, will 5 even run on 32-bit Vista? I can find out how to tinker with it if necessary but I want to make sure it's at least a possibility. Also, are there any "dead-end", game-ending puzzles in QFG 2 through 5? Sierra is infamous for these so I'd like a heads-up if possible.

It's possible to run Windows ME in Vista using Virtual PC and then run QFG inside that. It's still a bit buggy. You can also check out Sierra's Help Forums for some advice on specific bits.

There're quite a few gems hidden in Bobbin Threadbare's QFG LP which spans the whole series. Obviously there are quite a few spoilers in there, but if you pace yourself well you'll see just about everything the series has to offer.

CardTech
Nov 11, 2009

Baseball bro'ing at a super-high level
By the way, thanks everyone who responded to my post, I really appreciate the helpful tips.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Any advice for Just Cause 2? I am stuck on my Droid and the search hates me.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Can someone tell me how to play DEFCON and Uplink?

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007
Anyone have advice on Splinter Cell Conviction? I have never played any of the Splinter Cell games.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Rirse posted:

Can someone tell me how to play DEFCON and Uplink?

DEFCON is pretty straightforward, I've found that, against the AI, at least, it's best to hold off launching from your silos until you've intercepted most of the incoming missiles, and then let the nukes fly. If possible, I try to use my bombers to take out other Faction's silos before they can launch nukes, or, failing that, it takes out a missile defense that they could have otherwise used to stop your nukes.

Uplink is an entirely different beast and I don't recommend playing it without a guide handy. Don't spoil yourself by using the trick mentioned in a lot of guides steal a ton of money from a bank early on. You'd think it'd make the game easier, but since your progress is tracked by your net worth, it jumps you straight to the the most complicated missions in the game, and it's likely that, like me, you won't have any idea what you're doing at that point.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

HondaCivet posted:

Final Fantasy XIII tips

Haste is fantastic, use the Auto-Haste item as soon as you can (Speed Sash, I think).

Once you get to Chapter 11 your first inclination will be to start the side missions and kill Marks. Do that if you like, but I recommend waiting until later. You can return later and it makes the Marks a lot more fun, in my opinion, when you don't have long fights on the field between every one of them.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

graventy posted:

Haste is fantastic, use the Auto-Haste item as soon as you can (Speed Sash, I think).

Once you get to Chapter 11 your first inclination will be to start the side missions and kill Marks. Do that if you like, but I recommend waiting until later. You can return later and it makes the Marks a lot more fun, in my opinion, when you don't have long fights on the field between every one of them.

I disagree. I would recommend doing the marks in order, if possible, as soon as possible.

I skipped the hunts and I ended up feeling very underpowered.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
You don't need to do the marks for the experience, seriously. I didn't do a single one and I didn't struggle with story bosses. BUT it made my life loving hell when I came back to them later. At least do the waystone ones (in orange on the map). Without those it's a huge loving pain in the rear end to travel.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Can someone add this (copied from the STALKER thread) to the wiki page for S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl?

Patch the game to 1.0005 and install Complete 2009. Complete 2009 is all you need for your first playthrough. It mainly focuses on fixes, minor improvements, and graphical enhancements while keeping the core gameplay the same. It also adds the ability to pay for repairs and find some repair kits you can use, which is big. It's definitely the 1 essential mod for STALKER.

It's kind of like the Unofficial Oblivion Patch for ES4:Oblivion

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

graventy posted:

Haste owns, I never had any items that cast it though. I'd just start off with Hope (or Sazh before Hope had Haste) as Syn at the very beginning of battle. It's the first thing they cast on everyone and takes just a few seconds generally.

Then sometimes I'd just leave them there and watch the buffs stack up. :cool:

\/\/\/\/:love: I don't know who drew it which is a shame, just something I stole from the FFXIII thread.

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 28, 2010

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I love your av HondaCivet

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

rivals posted:

You don't need to do the marks for the experience, seriously. I didn't do a single one and I didn't struggle with story bosses. BUT it made my life loving hell when I came back to them later. At least do the waystone ones (in orange on the map). Without those it's a huge loving pain in the rear end to travel.

Yeah, that's worth addending. Do the marks you come across on the way through Chapter 11, past the big open area. Several of those are teleports, and walking sucks.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Nevermind; wrong thread

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Can we add to the advice for Sid Meier's Pirates! Live the Life that you should never play it late at night when you have lots of stuff to do the next day because you will never. stop. playing?

Holy poo poo is this game amazing. Thanks for all the advice, goons. I'm kind of getting my poo poo wrecked, and my crew is absolutely miserable 90% of the time, but running around in a stolen Spanish War Galleon fighting a war of aggression against the French on behalf of the English is honestly my absolutely most favorite new past-time.

Also, sell or sink every Merchantman you capture. CHRIST are they worthless for anything other than ferrying men and cargo.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Largejaroalmonds posted:

Anyone have advice on Splinter Cell Conviction? I have never played any of the Splinter Cell games.

There may be an alternate route that lets you avoid the enemies. Like a drop down ceiling :argh: Check for jumpable walls and stuff.

When dealings with patrols, sometimes while they come into the area, you can sneak off to the side and they'll walk right by, allowing you to continue on ignoring them.

The Five-Seven is the best pistol even when considering it's weak power simply because you can mark and execute 4 people.

When playing coop and you get to an area with a shitload of enemies around you, if you and your partner each tag four, have one of you guys start the executions and then you join in; he'll kill his four and so will you. You'll still have a mark and execute point to do it over again!

Bayonetta posted:

:argh:
So I found out why I was having such trouble with Bayonetta. The first item I bought and then forgot about having is that one bracelet that pisses off the angels I went 3/4 through the game on "gently caress you in the rear end hard mode" that when I finally realized my folly and removed the loving bracelet, the game was super easy and I was then the pitcher instead of the catcher. Oh Bayonetta.

Mercedes fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 28, 2010

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I'm considering buying Dark Void. Anything I should know?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ArchRanger posted:

Dont. I'm not even kidding, I'm not being that guy, I'm trying to stop you making a mistake I made. I own it because I figured "Its made by some of the guys who were invovled somehow with Crimson Skies which I liked, and it looks a bit like the rocketeer which was good, so...". Game is terrible, and freezes up my xbox like 50% of the time. I'm totally serious, about one time out of every two I put the disk into the xbox it freezes up, usually on the title menu.

If you have to play it, the flying bits play a bit like Crimson Skies retarded cousin, but with half the maneuvers removed. The fastest way to clear enemy fliers (of which I've so far only seen one kind) is to shoot them a bit, then do the lovely quicktime event to hijack them, then shoot the next one a bit, bail out and do the lovely quicktime event. There really isnt terribly much to know about the game to be honest.

The on-foot bits are a pretty poor cover shooter, where blind firing and melee attacks will actually get you pretty far. You'll probably have about 5 times as many game crashes as you will deaths in most areas.

Oh, and dont try and hit the jetpack in a designated on foot section, you'll be launched into a wall and die.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ArchRanger posted:

Buy Dark Void: Zero instead. Even though it's a three level 2D sidescroller it's a better game in every way and I'm not even joking.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
How about Wolfenstein and Anno 1404?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

That Awful Nick posted:

Can we add to the advice for Sid Meier's Pirates! Live the Life that you should never play it late at night when you have lots of stuff to do the next day because you will never. stop. playing?

Holy poo poo is this game amazing. Thanks for all the advice, goons. I'm kind of getting my poo poo wrecked, and my crew is absolutely miserable 90% of the time, but running around in a stolen Spanish War Galleon fighting a war of aggression against the French on behalf of the English is honestly my absolutely most favorite new past-time.

Also, sell or sink every Merchantman you capture. CHRIST are they worthless for anything other than ferrying men and cargo.

If the "sack the city" minigame were a standalone console title, I'd buy it in a heartbeat and never play anything else.

More advice: I've taken down many a ship with naught but a war canoe, matey. Best be rememberin' that.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
When I've finished Fear I'm going to give Mass Effect 2 a whirl. I'm not looking forward to the mining mini game, but if there is a cheat (PC version) that auto mines the current planet, or alternatively gives resources, that annoyance would be removed.

Some goggling haven't yielded any results, hence it wouldn't surprise me if such a cheat isn't there.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
^^^

If you cannot find anyting else, memory editor (like Artmoney) will help.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Jarl posted:

When I've finished Fear I'm going to give Mass Effect 2 a whirl. I'm not looking forward to the mining mini game, but if there is a cheat (PC version) that auto mines the current planet, or alternatively gives resources, that annoyance would be removed.

Some goggling haven't yielded any results, hence it wouldn't surprise me if such a cheat isn't there.

If you think you'll only play it through once, then really, the mining part isn't that bad. Just mine as and when you need to and don't bother building up much of a surplus. Five minutes here and there will be all you'll need to get through most of the game, or, if you can bear it, a solid hour's mining should set you up for the rest of the game without ever looking at a planet again (almost).

It's only really a chore if you plan to play the game a lot, as what little novelty there is certainly wears off after a couple of play-throughs.

Sorry if that's not really answering your question, but a lot's been said about how boring the mining is and frankly it's not that bad if you don't obsessively strip mine every rock you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

So I'm going to try and do a serious run through of Fallout 3 since I just got the GOTY edition.

I know most people recommend putting int to 9, but I'm wondering about everything else? I've seen somewhere else mention about taking str down to 4. Is this wise or would that hinder my carrying ability too much?

I know about taking the educated and comprehension perks at 4&5, what's good to take before then? I plan on playing a stealth/lock picking character, so should I take the perk that boosts those or the one to raise a stat?