Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imac1984
May 3, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Oh gently caress he's been dead nearly 10 years? :wtc:

Wow, thanks for the heads up. I was looking at his page and thought "good grief, this guy hasn't acted in in like 10 years, what the christ has he been doing with himself???"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

The Walrus posted:

I always wondered about zip codes myself, as I had always been pretty reasonably sure that there were more than 99,999 addresses in the USA.
You never noticed that other people in your town had the same zip code?

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
Seinfeld is my all-time favorite show. Every episode is great in some way. And George is just the pinnacle of pathetic.

I think my all-time favorite line is one I don't hear often. Morty surprises Elaine with a visit to her office, and he asks "Whats the square-footage?"

To me, that just... sums up the boring conversation old people like to make

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

If you REALLY want to get technical about ZIP codes, here ya go.

The numbers designate the location in the country the destination is at.

East Coast ZIPs mostly start with 0 or 1 and work their way up to 9 as you move toward the West Coast.

The second number and third number designates how far North and South you go. The most North is designated 9 and goes down to 0 the more you move South (i.e. Alaska is 99xxx and San Diego is 90xxx).

The ZIP+4 is mostly for sorting a route at the local mail carrier's level and yes, using them does speed up delivery if the optical reader can make heads or tails of your lovely handwriting.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 24, 2010

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
So he's...

*nods* poor..

...I think this will burn!! :dance:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Relayer posted:

So he's...

*nods* poor..

...I think this will burn!! :dance:

The 'got no green' Lantern.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Hahaha, The Van Buren Boys is so good. I love the whole Jerry plot with his girlfriend (Christine Taylor) and how she's just inexplicably a "loser" and all of his friends instantly recognize her as such. Meanwhile to Jerry and the audience there's absolutely nothing wrong. And then I think about it, and I really do know people like her.

It also has my favorite George quote of all time: "Finishing an entire book doesn't prove anything."

Relayer fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 24, 2010

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Relayer posted:

Meanwhile to Jerry and the audience there's absolutely nothing wrong. And then I think about it, and I really do know people like her.

Like us with LividLiquid.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
I love Seinfeld because I have seen every episode but sometimes I wont always remember some of the subplots to the show. For example last night I was cooking and walked into the other room and noticed Jerry asked to use the bathroom to wash his hands. I immediately knew this is the episode he found the fungal cream in the chicks medicine cabinet. But I couldn't recall all of the other funny poo poo so it was like watching a show I hadn't seen in a while.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

Steve Higginson posted:

Sorry to call you out on this as it is very pedantic. However, what I've bolded is somewhat incorrect. In most every publication house's style guide you'll see that acronyms, such as Zip, Laser, Fifa, Nato, etc. only have the first letter capitalized (being proper nouns) since the abbreviation is pronounced as a word. You would only capitalize every letter with an initialism, where every letter is said such as USA (which is not pronounced Oh-sa).

Sorry for the newspaper geek coming out of me, I'll continue the Seinfeld dissection.

I remember the closest we ever came to meeting any of Kramer's unseen friends (Bob Sacameno, Gomez) was in one late season episode where one of them is in a porto-john with Kramer outside. Anyone remember the episode?

I believe it's Lomez. Counter-pedanted.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

TMMadman posted:

I love 'The Muffin Tops' episode. First of all you have Kramer giving a reality tour (The last thing this guy is qualified to give a tour of is reality), then you have George being a tourist (No offense, but this city would eat you alive George), then you have Jerry shaving his chest (it's an old wives tale. Is it? IS IT REALLY?) and finally you have the titular muffin tops and the problems disposing the stumps.

It is just all woven together so loving well that I can't stop laughing during the entire episode. Anyone who says the last two seasons were the low seasons is just not right in the head.

"I can't believe you found an apartment so quickly. How much are you paying for this?"
"Twenty three hundred!"
"OUCH! A month? I guess it's alright for now but if you stay here for more than a couple months, you're a sucker."

"Alright let's go"
"Yeah let's air this place out for awhile - it smells like the last tenant had monkeys"
*George sniffs his armpit*

The woman who played George's girlfriend was gorgeous. Probably because of her eyes. Anybody know her name?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

Like us with LividLiquid.
*chokes on Snapple*

What'd I do?!

Still one of my favorite deliveries from Jerry.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!
The Serenity Now episode is on now. Beyond that bit, I'd forgotten all about Jerry's subplot.

"What's this salty discharge?"

"You're...crying."

"I...I care?! This is horrible!"

Stuntman Mike fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 25, 2010

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Sorry LividLiquid, but you're just a loser. No way around it.

My all time favorite Seinfeld arch is still reverse-George.

Cushman: Why don't you tell me about some of your previous job experience?
George Costanza: Alrighty. My last job was in publishing. I got fired for having sex in my office with the cleaning woman.
Cushman: Go on.
George Costanza: All right. Before that, I was in real estate. I quit because the boss wouldn't let me use his private bathroom. That was it.
Cushman: Do you talk to everybody like this?
George Costanza: Of course.
Cushman: My niece told me you were different.
George Costanza: I am different, yeah.

Edit: Seinfeld just came on.

George: What is the deal with the guys in the pit?
Jerry: They're musicians. That's not a joke!
George: It's a funny observation!

Summer of George!

MokBa fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 25, 2010

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Handicap George never gets old no matter how many times you see it.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
The rascal scooter chase was so epic.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

WoG posted:

You never noticed that other people in your town had the same zip code?

None of the people in my town have zip codes.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Stuntman Mike posted:

The Serenity Now episode is on now. Beyond that bit, I'd forgotten all about Jerry's subplot.

"What's this salty discharge?"

"You're...crying."

"I...I care?! This is horrible!"

I love what makes Jerry snap out of it.

George: So, that's it. All of my darkest fears, and everything I'm capable of. That's me.
Jerry: Yikes. Well, good luck with aaaall that.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Juttman posted:

Seinfeld is my all-time favorite show. Every episode is great in some way. And George is just the pinnacle of pathetic.

I think my all-time favorite line is one I don't hear often. Morty surprises Elaine with a visit to her office, and he asks "Whats the square-footage?"

To me, that just... sums up the boring conversation old people like to make

You don't get corned beef like that anymore.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Steve Higginson posted:

Sorry to call you out on this as it is very pedantic. However, what I've bolded is somewhat incorrect. In most every publication house's style guide you'll see that acronyms, such as Zip, Laser, Fifa, Nato, etc. only have the first letter capitalized (being proper nouns) since the abbreviation is pronounced as a word. You would only capitalize every letter with an initialism, where every letter is said such as USA (which is not pronounced Oh-sa).

So newspapers print Nasa instead of NASA? Sorry, but I'm skeptical.

edit for content:

Cynthia: First of all, what does he do?

Elaine: He was in real estate, um, now, he's not working right now-

Cynthia: He's not working?! How come he's not working?

Elaine: Well, um, he, he got fired.

Cynthia: Why did he get fired?

Elaine: Uh. Why? Oh, right. Um, well, he tried to poison his boss.

Cynthia: Excuse me?

Elaine: Such a long story, Cynthia, seriously, I mean he just had some problems
at work.

Cynthia: Is he nuts?

Elaine: No, no, no, he's a really really funny guy.

Cynthia: What does he look like?

Elaine: Pardon?

Cynthia: What does he look like?

Elaine: Um, well, he's got a lot of character in his face. Um, he's short.
Um, he's stocky.

Cynthia: Fat. Is that what you're saying, that he's fat?

Elaine: Powerful. He is so powerful, he can lift a hundred pounds right up
over his head. And um, what else. What else. Oh, right. Um, well, he's kind
of, just kind of losing his hair.

Cynthia: He's bald?

Elaine: No! No, no, no, he's not bald. He's balding.

Cynthia: So he will be bald.

Elaine: Yup.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 25, 2010

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Higginson posted:

Sorry for the newspaper geek coming out of me, I'll continue the Seinfeld dissection.

I remember the closest we ever came to meeting any of Kramer's unseen friends (Bob Sacameno, Gomez) was in one late season episode where one of them is in a porto-john with Kramer outside. Anyone remember the episode?

It's Bob Sacamano. :eng101: counter-pedanted! :)

But seriously, are you perhaps in the UK? I am just asking because in most American publications I have seen they don't capitalize common acronyms like laser, scuba, or radar because their acronyms have fallen to the wayside, which I suppose is also true of ZIP but I have seen ZIP go all three ways: all caps, single cap, no caps. Also, I believe most American publications use all caps for FIFA and NATO.

As for a Seinfeld answer:

stratdax posted:

The woman who played George's girlfriend was gorgeous. Probably because of her eyes. Anybody know her name?

Her name is Rena Sofer and her Seinfeld appearance was pretty early in her career. She seems to do a lot of bit work in various tv series and her longest stint was 25 episodes of Melrose Place, but she also had short stints in 24 and Heroes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

regulargonzalez posted:

Cynthia: He's bald?

Elaine: No! No, no, no, he's not bald. He's balding.

Cynthia: So he will be bald.

Elaine: Yup.

The episode where Elaine's bald-by-choice boyfriend starts growing his hair back and discovers to his horror that he's bald is just amazing, especially George checking him out and giving him advice on how to live "the last months of his life"

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I love that because John Michael Higgins has a glorious head of hair. That role is completely different than anything else I've seen him in.

seregrail7
Nov 3, 2006

Klaus Kinski posted:

Handicap George never gets old no matter how many times you see it.

He picked the wrong guy to hire because he was pretend handicapped.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
If you're gonna quote the van line, you've gotta do it right.

A beeeeeg...juicy.............vannnnnnn.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

seregrail7 posted:

His lovely doddery old man Boss hissing,"I'll see you in hell, Costanza!" gets me every time, he's just so VENGEFUL at this horrible man who has infested his business.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

got dat wmd posted:

If you're gonna quote the van line, you've gotta do it right.

A beeeeeg...juicy.............vannnnnnn.

I was quoting the ad, not the line!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

seregrail7 posted:

Hello Margery, George Costanza. How are you sweet heart? Listen, can you give Mr. Thomassoulo a message for me? Yes. If he needs me, tell him: I’M IN MY OFFICE! Thanks.

Chicken Boo
Mar 20, 2009

I wear a disguise to look like human guys.
Jerry! Hi!
HELLLLLOOOOO
*slam*

This has got to be my favourite episode.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
He's jovial!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

got dat wmd posted:

Any opinions on worst episodes? Larry David in a lot of the dvd bonus material clearly states one in particular stands out but never says what it is, same with Jerry.

The last two seasons are def. a low point but what still stands out as the worst to me is The Puerto Rican Day, especially as the second to last real episode. Sure there are a few good moments with all the fake names but it's so very, VERY un-Seinfeld to me. It seemed to be a very lame attempt to recreate The Chinese Restaurant or The Parking Garage and is always so grating to watch. For periods of time literally nothing happens when they're in traffic and it just plain goes nowhere. Even New York Street stands out as being nothing but a studio set for the only time of the entire series as well.

They had something going with the bleachers/poseidon adventure schtick but it was too short and way way too forced to be pulled off right.

This is pure insanity. The Puerto Rican Parade episode was and is one of my all-time favorites and should have been the finale.

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 25, 2010

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Chicken Boo posted:

Jerry! Hi!
HELLLLLOOOOO
*slam*

I'M COVERED IN OOOIIILL!

MillionsV
Jun 11, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'M COVERED IN OOOIIILL!

I'M AS SLIPPERY AS AN EEEEEEEEELLLLL!!!!

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Chicken Boo posted:

Jerry! Hi!
HELLLLLOOOOO
*slam*

I love that they use the same montage they had for George, which I assume is a reference to some movie I've never seen.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
So you're having sex then all of a sudden you just blurt out: "I'm giving you a raise"??

Yeah..

Just a quick sidebar here... are you in any way authorized to give raises?

Not that I'm aware of..

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

MillionsV posted:

I'M AS SLIPPERY AS AN EEEEEEEEELLLLL!!!!

LA LA LAAAAAAAAAAA!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I was watching the episode last night where Steinbrenner thinks George is a communist, so he sends him to Cuba. At the end of the episode, George knocks on Castro's door - "You wanted to see me, El Presidente?"

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

This thread title, is the best thread title. My friends and I do this all this time.

I love how Jerry would rather say "HELLLLOOOOOOO!" than keep dating that girl, upon receiving her ultimatum.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MokBa posted:

This thread title, is the best thread title. My friends and I do this all this time.

I love how Jerry would rather say "HELLLLOOOOOOO!" than keep dating that girl, upon receiving her ultimatum.

Me and my friends still like to say "HELLLOOOOOOOOOO!" quite frequently to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Dean Jones: "…Mending chicken wire, high tea with a Mr. Newman."
Kramer: "I know it sounds pretty glamorous, but it’s business as usual at Kramerica."

"I'm just so glad it's back!!"