Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sure, and I doubt they're going to be doing it at the exclusion of dealership improvements - they'd be foolish not to, but if you ask me this really does trump every service waiting area ever.

Not disputing that, certainly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Really good news!:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/review-20102011-renault-logan-expression-1-0-16v-brazilian/
Seriously though, I had no idea there was a 1.0L limit in Brazil.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

lazer_chicken posted:

Seriously, and this is coming from a guy who loved his '99 forester to death. The 2.5 really is not a particularly good engine. Mediocre reliability and crappy power unless its boosted. And you can't boost the N/A without basically rebuilding the entire thing. They've been riding that engine since 1996 with only minimal changes, and they really need something new. They have the cool flat-6s but I feel like they're never advertised and only available on a few select trims. I assume that they flat-out don't fit in the impreza/forester chassis, because I can't think of any reason as to why they wouldn't be an option.

Actually, they are awesome engines and they bolt in apparently. Even the wiring isn't as much as a hassle as you'd think.
And they sound amazing, even with annoying snappy exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqnuj58lFQI

EDIT:God this is a terrible post, I'm sorry. The video above is an N/A EG33 in an Impreza.

ursa_minor fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 18, 2010

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

kimbo305 posted:

Really good news!:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/review-20102011-renault-logan-expression-1-0-16v-brazilian/
Seriously though, I had no idea there was a 1.0L limit in Brazil.
Is that essentially a Nissan Versa/Tiida with a 1.0L engine? I've had them as rentals a couple times and liked them, but thought them a tad underpowered, even with the ~120hp 1.8L. I can't imagine trying to drive one in the mountains of Brazil with just 70hp.

I was curious about the tax, but can't find much on it aside from larger engines being available, just 1.0L being popular. Is there a 1.0L limit, or are people choosing cheaper options to reduce the annual value-based car tax? Brazil's websites are all in Portuguese and even with google translate, aren't shedding much info.

Edit: one of the comments on that site explained it

quote:

The sales tax varies with displacement. It is lowest for 1.0 and lower sizes, highest for above 2.4 liters (if I recall correctly). Volkswagen actually did a very nice experiment, selling 1.0 Turbo engines but I am not sure why they stopped it – probably too expensive. Ford also did a supercharged 1.0 engine to fight VW.

Per this site, the tax is 10% for cars with 1.0L or smaller engines, and 25% for over 1.0L, and is included in the sticker price of a car. Sounds like a perfect market for turbos!

grover fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 18, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

grover posted:

Per this site, the tax is 10% for cars with 1.0L or smaller engines, and 25% for over 1.0L, and is included in the sticker price of a car. Sounds like a perfect market for turbos!

*scratches Brazil off of "Countries where I would like to live" list*
*sighs*

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Regarding the Hyundai "don't visit us, we'll visit you", I think it's a fantastic idea. Even though you still want people to be able to visit a showroom to choose their car and look at accessories or whatever, this gives you the opportunity to completely divorce the service department and have it in a crappy industrial complex on the outskirts, while your showroom can be a smaller "boutique" affair that you can site in areas previously not viable (anyone visiting London, check out the setups for high-end dealerships in Park Lane, or Bristol's showroom, for example).

Nowadays, there really is no reason not to run things like this, finally moving away from the early model where you bought cars from a nearby mechanic's garage that evolved into the current style of dealership. The iPad itself is a good example - you go to a big, shiny, high-rent showroom to play with one, buy it, and ask for advice, but should anything actually need physically doing to it, it'll get shipped off somewhere else to be dealt with. No reason why a car should be different, and you can already get this pick up and drop off service from some places anyway.

Hyundai's brand image is a separate issue, but I wouldn't be surprised if it works out just fine after a little time - Skoda, for example, weathered the storm of a (somewhat deserved) poor reputation, but the cars they've been building for the last few years have been very good, and nowadays you really don't hear the brand used as a byword for crappy, basic transport by anybody.

I think they should just keep building good product, and public perceptions will take care of themselves. I can't say the old Pony and its ilk were terribly inspiring, but one of my friends bought a Mk2 Coupe a while back, and it's pretty drat good. I can't say I view their badge with any more disdain than, say, Nissan or Mazda, which is more than can be said for some manufacturer's (Good luck having Chevrolet taken seriously in the UK any time in the next few years).

grover posted:

Older-but-not-ancient cars in the UK (pre-2003, but post-1973) are taxed based on capacity (under the old "encourage more economical vehicles" excuse), with the break at about 1.5L whether it's about $170/yr or about $300/yr. It makes no account of forced induction etc, so even the craziest RX-7 is treated the same as a Festiva, even if it does get evened up by fuel taxation.

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
Not exactly car news, but news non the less..

Orange News posted:

A German student created a major traffic jam in Bavaria when he 'mooned' a group of Hell's Angels, hurled a puppy at them and then escaped on a bulldozer.

Whole story can be read here:
http://web.orange.co.uk/article/quirkies/Students_bizarre_attack_on_Hells_Angels

This is the best thing I've read in weeks

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
They say "bulldozer," but I'm suspecting that it was really just a Bobcat or other front-end loader. It seems really hard to make a getaway on :killdozer: even without the humongous traffic jam he caused.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

frozenphil posted:

*sighs*

"Come to wonderful Brazil, where our women's asses displace more than our car's engines!"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sigma X posted:

"Come to wonderful Brazil, where our women's asses displace more than our car's engines!"
I'm told that vigorous shaking is an indicator that rebalancing is required, C/D?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Why should Hyundai stop at picking the car up for service. They could have a really informative website with a form to have a salesman bring the car out to the prospective buyer for a test drive.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

frozenphil posted:

*sighs*

FIA superkarts are under 1L, just DD that.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

InitialDave posted:

Skoda, for example, weathered the storm of a (somewhat deserved) poor reputation, but the cars they've been building for the last few years have been very good, and nowadays you really don't hear the brand used as a byword for crappy, basic transport by anybody.

Isn't that because they're rebadging Volkswagens these days?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

PBCrunch posted:

Why should Hyundai stop at picking the car up for service. They could have a really informative website with a form to have a salesman bring the car out to the prospective buyer for a test drive.

If you're not joking, dealerships don't really like doing that for obvious reasons - mileage. Demo cars can be hard to sell without discounting them a bunch. Most people who buy a new car want a drat new car, not one that 100 people have driven the snot out of and put 500 miles on it already.

Also the JD Power intial study for quality and reliability for 2010 models is finally out. Usual companies in the top ten, though Acura's a surprise at number 2 making a massive jump up the chain from last year's 15th. Hyundai ranks at 7th, Kia at like 27th despite sharing a lot of platforms with Hyundai. Last year Kia was tied with BMW for 13th IIRC, so that's a bit of a blow to them. Toyota took a massive hit, dropping from 7th to 22nd. And of course, Land Rover, as usual, is dead last.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Left Ventricle posted:

Isn't that because they're rebadging Volkswagens these days?

Not rebadging, more VW parts bin specials (that are often as well, if not higher rated than their VW counterparts). But the point is, the Skoda brand was rubbish as they just used to make horrid, cheap and nasty crapboxes. But by just making good cars sold at really good prices compared to their competitors they've shed that image.

Much like Hyundai.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Not rebadging, more VW parts bin specials (that are often as well, if not higher rated than their VW counterparts). But the point is, the Skoda brand was rubbish as they just used to make horrid, cheap and nasty crapboxes. But by just making good cars sold at really good prices compared to their competitors they've shed that image.

Thanks for clearing that up. Skoda isn't sold in the US, so when I looked it up on Wikipedia all I saw was "acquired by VAG in 1990" and pictures of what looked a hell of a lot like a Passat on Google.

KlementGottwald
Dec 24, 2009

by angerbot

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Much like Hyundai.

In defense of the old Skoda's, you have to take into account what the were working with. The Estelle was at least somewhat reliable(and also like a mini Porsche). Worlds better than anything else that came out of the eastern-bloc.

Hyundai's older products were not too bad, relatively speaking. The Pony and Stellar were better than the awful Excel and First-Gen Sonata.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I remember riding in a Skoda in the early 90s, and we had to pull over and wait before the windshield wipers would start working. :confused:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP_9GC7CORk
Mercedes let Bild try out the electric SLS prototype.
Can anyone transcribe?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

CharlesM posted:

I remember riding in a Skoda in the early 90s, and we had to pull over and wait before the windshield wipers would start working. :confused:

They were probably actuated by engine vacuum.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP_9GC7CORk
Mercedes let Bild try out the electric SLS prototype.
Can anyone transcribe?
Sorry, can't help you with the translation but there's one interesting fact (rumor?) about the SLS.

I remember reading somewhere that the SLS was originally supposed to be the new Viper back in the good ole Daimler-Chrysler days, with most of the engineering coming from Chrysler. The huge hood and tiny trunk really resemble the Viper's design.

Just puttin' it out there.

EDIT: Found a link!

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/06/mercedes-benz-sls-started-out-as-the-next-generation-dodge-viper.html

EDIT #2: Found a slightly better source!

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/16/report-dodge-originally-developed-sls-amg-to-be-next-gen-viper/

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 22, 2010

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

awesome-express posted:

Sorry, can't help you with the translation but there's one interesting fact (rumor?) about the SLS.

I remember reading somewhere that the SLS was originally supposed to be the new Viper back in the good ole Daimler-Chrysler days, with most of the engineering coming from Chrysler. The huge hood and tiny trunk really resemble the Viper's design.

Just puttin' it out there.

EDIT: Found a link!

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/06/mercedes-benz-sls-started-out-as-the-next-generation-dodge-viper.html

EDIT #2: Found a slightly better source!

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/16/report-dodge-originally-developed-sls-amg-to-be-next-gen-viper/

Dirty foreigners are the cause of literally all are carmaker's troubles.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The huge hood and tiny trunk also resemble every single FR sporting car ever.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah but the Viper's is exceptionally long :v:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

awesome-express posted:

Yeah man how stupid is that? A company potentially sharing a low-volume platform between its brands to help defray the cost of development? What kind of bullshit business case does that come out of?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

awesome-express posted:

The huge hood and tiny trunk really resemble the Viper's design.

Yeah, totally stolen from the Viper.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Or more recently:

I think the SLS does look very Viperish, but AMG could have turned the bodywork into anything they wanted even starting from the next gen Viper.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

MrChips posted:

Yeah man how stupid is that? A company potentially sharing a low-volume platform between its brands to help defray the cost of development? What kind of bullshit business case does that come out of?

Where did I say that it was a stupid move on Daimler's part?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What the gently caress is wrong with Dodge?

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/dodges-second-to-last-stand-the-man-van/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Oh, it's like the Vauxhall/Opel Zafira VXR. Only stupider.

Edit: VXR. I put the wrong random letter into their collection of random letters.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 25, 2010

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They should just throw in a V8.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

hobbesmaster posted:

I have no doubt that whatever engine they use they will plaster the thing with HEMI badges.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
That's Chrysler innovating. They're shipping that "Man Van" out with a new scent they've perfected, it's called "middle aged desperation".

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

el topo posted:

That's Chrysler innovating. They're shipping that "Man Van" out with a new scent they've perfected, it's called "middle aged desperation".

So, it smells just like a porsche, then? :laugh:

In all seriousness, though, I think it's a good marketing idea. Lots of married men with big families should buy a minivan, but insist on an SUV instead, entirely for image reasons. A minivan with more 'aggressive' styling might get a few of those customers for Dodge.

It absolutely should not supplant many other desperately needed improvements at Dodge, of course, but it must be a pretty low-cost low-effort thing to do, and if it garners a couple percentage points more of the minivan market, it's worth it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It looks like poo poo though.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It looks like poo poo though.

They're just staying true to form.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Lots of married men with big families should buy a minivan, but insist on an SUV instead, entirely for image reasons. A minivan with more 'aggressive' styling might get a few of those customers for Dodge.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

You don't have this one ?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

hobbesmaster posted:

Subarau has managed to market "cool" station wagons like the STI, so it is possible. A V8 would go a long way towards making the Caravan less of a stigma. They also need to make it look less like a minivan and more like a rally car.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Spatule posted:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

You don't have this one ?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What about the Zafira VXR?
Are you a chav with too many kids for an astra? IF SO!