Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gypsytaz
Oct 5, 2001
deluded jackass
I just passed the 72 hour mark. 10 days on Chantix first, then quit.

No real side effects from the Chantix except a headache on about day 2 or so.

I smoked at least a pack and a half a day for 31, yes, 31, years.

Good riddance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Alright I don't mean to discourage anyone here but my lungs and throat are still "correcting" themselves since I quit about a month ago. Every morning I wake up and my throat feels like I smoked a pack the last night. For about 5 minutes and then it goes away. It sucks.

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005
NO NO NO we do not have images of fat guys sucking each others dicks in our custom titles!

Bobx66 posted:

Alright I don't mean to discourage anyone here but my lungs and throat are still "correcting" themselves since I quit about a month ago. Every morning I wake up and my throat feels like I smoked a pack the last night. For about 5 minutes and then it goes away. It sucks.

It'll be gone soon and then your lungs will feel fantastic.

I've just passed the 3 month mark and I barely miss them anymore. Once every couple of days at most I think about how I'd kinda like a smoke, but the vast majority of the time I don't even think about it.

I've noticed however that I've started drinking a lot more (not really more often, just more drink when I'm out) and I'm definitely more aggresive than I used to be (though I'm pretty sure I was like this before I took up smoking in the first place).

It's just so refreshing to know that my entire life isn't being dictated by nicotine anymore.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I'm trying really, really hard to quit this time around. I've been smoking for about five years, and given my family's history with cancer (grandma died of lung cancer when I was six years old), I think it's time to quit. Plus, I'll be moving back to America in a few months, and I'd really like a fresh start.

The hardest part for me? Like, 50% of the population of the country that I'm in now (Egypt) smokes. Cigarettes are less than a dollar a pack. Shishas (hookahs to Americans) are everywhere. I'm a teacher, and I've neatly fallen into the stereotype of running to the teacher's lounge on a break and ranting about how I hate my students whilst angrily puffing away.

I've got nicotine gum right now, and I've gone from maybe a pack a day to 4 or less cigarettes since I started this three days ago. It's going to be gradual, incremental and unpleasant, but goddamn am I ready to be done with this poo poo for good.

Kippling
Jun 24, 2005

And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so?
I might as well chime in here, as I'm about to stop smoking. I probably smoke around 8-10g of baccy a day (a 50g bag tends to get me through a working week). Hopefully the NHS will pay for some nice drugs, like Champix, to get me off the stuff. I've been smoking for around 9 years and I'm fed up with it; I'm determined to be smoke free come the end of summer.

So, I've got a question or two for those who've quit. The main things I'm worried about are my "smoke breaks" at work. I tend to slide off every 2-3 hours for a smoke and the "fresh air" and I think I'm going to miss them. Any ideas on how I can replace these little escapes from the office? Also, for how long after stopping am I going to be freaking out in rage/emotion over tiny things? I guess that's what's going to happen, right?

I've got an excellent reason for quitting (an incredible girl has provided it), so the motivation is there. I've also got an exercise regime in place, which might provide an outlet for any angst caused by craving. Anything else I need, or am I good to go, do you guys think?

Nedsmaster
Mar 9, 2006

smoke brown
black for black

Kippling posted:

So, I've got a question or two for those who've quit. The main things I'm worried about are my "smoke breaks" at work. I tend to slide off every 2-3 hours for a smoke and the "fresh air" and I think I'm going to miss them. Any ideas on how I can replace these little escapes from the office? Also, for how long after stopping am I going to be freaking out in rage/emotion over tiny things? I guess that's what's going to happen, right?

I've got an excellent reason for quitting (an incredible girl has provided it), so the motivation is there. I've also got an exercise regime in place, which might provide an outlet for any angst caused by craving. Anything else I need, or am I good to go, do you guys think?

I can't fully help because I haven't quit completely, but I have tapered down a lot and now unless I get drunk as a party, I have no more than a cigarette a day, sometimes two. I don't even buy packs, I'll take one if someone offers.

That said, I understand what you mean about smoke breaks at work. It's a huge psychological addiction that will be a bitch to break, along with the smokes that you have in the morning and before bed. It's not the right thread for it but I find a electronic cigarette is great for this, because than you can still go outside to exhale "smoke" without any tar or health risks. And you can get low nicotine and gradually taper down so you CAN be smoke free without having to stop the pleasures of nicotine addiction. Ultimately it will be a lot easier to give up.

Exercise is a really great idea for smoking cessation, because it gets your blood flowing and you have a natural "high" after doing it, which I find often kills the desire to smoke. Also because if you've been working out or running for a good 30 minutes or more, your lungs feel so full and strong that you almost don't want to immediately gently caress them up again and go back to harder breathing.

I still recommend nicotine therapy, the e-cigarette is largely the most effective method by a landslide. (If you're interested, see the GBS thread on it.) But that said, you will probably feel pretty lovely for a while because even when you get used to less nicotine the oral fixation/psychological addiction is still there.

But I think you, like a lot of people, will go through the temporary 3 days of ultimate stress thinking you NEED a cigarette to go back to being "normal" and not stressed. Interestingly enough, nicotine causes more stress than it relieves, and the feeling of a cigarette "calming you down" is really just your body satisfying a craving. This makes your withdrawal symptoms from nicotine go away, and your "stress" decreases. In reality, nicotine is a stimulant like caffeine and would do the exact opposite of stress relief if it wasn't mega addictive. Just try to get past a week or so smoking a lot less, try to pace your cigarettes like meals at first, 3 a day or so. When you want one really badly after a meal or in the evening, hold off on it and try to tell yourself how good it will be if you just wait a few more hours before bed. This will teach you self-control and it's a great thing to practice before you give it up entirely. It's also good because when you hold off on smoking and limit your intake, cigarettes become a lot more valuable and special of an experience, like they were when you started smoking.

In the end, once you really cut down and get used to having nicotine when YOU say you can and not when your body tells you to, smokes start tasting a lot different, more like they used to when you could still taste them, and they become so much less of a required object and more of a once in a while occurrence.

It's not easy, but trust me. I've started out a little over a month ago cutting down from 12+ cigarettes a day. I started putting a Sharpie line on my hand for every smoke I had, and at first I recommend trying to limit 5 a day or so. A little over a month later, I don't even smoke every day anymore and it's never more than a couple, as I said. You'll have moments where you splurge and get drunk or party and you smoke more from social situations, but don't kick yourself. Just think of all the ones you didn't smoke. It gets a LOT easier and you just have to tell your brain and your body that YOU'RE calling the shots, not the nicotine, and you'll smoke when you tell yourself it's okay.

Good luck!

Nedsmaster fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 20, 2010

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
I... I fell. I failed. I smoked one cigarette three weeks ago, thought I would be fine, and here I am today. I've smoked three packs in three days. I'm miserable about this but I can't escape... and I'm about to start a new full-time job on monday for the summer.

I doomed myself. Stay strong, my friends...Even after not smoking for over half a year, one cigarette put me back at my exact old level of consumption.

Kippling
Jun 24, 2005

And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so?
^^^^^^

That's a drat shame mate. Are you going to give it another crack, or is that you smoking full time again?

Nedsmaster posted:

I can't fully help because I haven't quit completely, but I have tapered down a lot and now unless I get drunk as a party, I have no more than a cigarette a day, sometimes two. I don't even buy packs, I'll take one if someone offers.

That said, I understand what you mean about smoke breaks at work. It's a huge psychological addiction that will be a bitch to break, along with the smokes that you have in the morning and before bed. It's not the right thread for it but I find a electronic cigarette is great for this, because than you can still go outside to exhale "smoke" without any tar or health risks. And you can get low nicotine and gradually taper down so you CAN be smoke free without having to stop the pleasures of nicotine addiction. Ultimately it will be a lot easier to give up.

Exercise is a really great idea for smoking cessation, because it gets your blood flowing and you have a natural "high" after doing it, which I find often kills the desire to smoke. Also because if you've been working out or running for a good 30 minutes or more, your lungs feel so full and strong that you almost don't want to immediately gently caress them up again and go back to harder breathing.

I still recommend nicotine therapy, the e-cigarette is largely the most effective method by a landslide. (If you're interested, see the GBS thread on it.) But that said, you will probably feel pretty lovely for a while because even when you get used to less nicotine the oral fixation/psychological addiction is still there.

But I think you, like a lot of people, will go through the temporary 3 days of ultimate stress thinking you NEED a cigarette to go back to being "normal" and not stressed. Interestingly enough, nicotine causes more stress than it relieves, and the feeling of a cigarette "calming you down" is really just your body satisfying a craving. This makes your withdrawal symptoms from nicotine go away, and your "stress" decreases. In reality, nicotine is a stimulant like caffeine and would do the exact opposite of stress relief if it wasn't mega addictive. Just try to get past a week or so smoking a lot less, try to pace your cigarettes like meals at first, 3 a day or so. When you want one really badly after a meal or in the evening, hold off on it and try to tell yourself how good it will be if you just wait a few more hours before bed. This will teach you self-control and it's a great thing to practice before you give it up entirely. It's also good because when you hold off on smoking and limit your intake, cigarettes become a lot more valuable and special of an experience, like they were when you started smoking.

In the end, once you really cut down and get used to having nicotine when YOU say you can and not when your body tells you to, smokes start tasting a lot different, more like they used to when you could still taste them, and they become so much less of a required object and more of a once in a while occurrence.

It's not easy, but trust me. I've started out a little over a month ago cutting down from 12+ cigarettes a day. I started putting a Sharpie line on my hand for every smoke I had, and at first I recommend trying to limit 5 a day or so. A little over a month later, I don't even smoke every day anymore and it's never more than a couple, as I said. You'll have moments where you splurge and get drunk or party and you smoke more from social situations, but don't kick yourself. Just think of all the ones you didn't smoke. It gets a LOT easier and you just have to tell your brain and your body that YOU'RE calling the shots, not the nicotine, and you'll smoke when you tell yourself it's okay.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice and comments, they're much appreciated. I've got a letter in my pocket that's leading to sweet sweet free drugs. Two weeks today is my quitting date (the Champix needs time to work, apparently). I'm cutting down in preparation of that. I'm determined not to screw this up!

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
^^^^^ Say what? Cutting down in preparation for cutting down?

I'm just finishing up my 8th week on Champix, if you have any questions. One thing I will say is don't think too much or wonder if the drat drug is working. It's really gradual. I think I cut down by 1-1.5 smokes a day, not even trying. The drug just did its thing.

RULE ONE: Eat before you take the pill. A full meal, or close to it. Wash that pill down with half a liter of water. Doing just the water on an empty stomach probably won't make you puke, but it will make your stomach angry.

I know someone else on this page just said they had a headache and that was it for the Champix. I have a bit of a different story, as I caught every drat side effect except vomiting. It was the worst for the first 3 weeks. Aside from feeling sick after taking the pill, my general state for about 3 hours afterward can best be described as "bleared." No attention span, depressed about nothing, desperately needing a nap. That's 3 hours after each does so when I hit the full does it pretty much hosed my day. Then, of course, the suicidal/homocidal thoughts. These only came up when poo poo got really stressful on top of being depressed about nothing. I really don't mean "generic life sucks depression" here. I mean "the sun is shining, wide awake, lungs full of clean air, full belly, but I feel like I could cry at any moment." And despite the 6 hours of bleariness in the day, I could not sleep at night. I still can't. It kind of sucks.

While you're ramping up the dose and still smoking is when it's the weirdest. I guess because the Champix and nictoine are battling it out. Messed up dreams and nightmares.

I ate a lot of junk food in the first month, too. Lots of food in general. Stress eating. Eating for the hell of it. Anyway, Is this a fitness regime you're already doing, or one you decided on to coincide with quitting? I mean, I could see maybe you miss a day of your workout and feel like a failure or something, and then you say gently caress it and buy a pack cuz you have failure written across your forehead. It's happened to me and to a few friends. I left the fitness part out until week 7. By then, I had a handle on the rest of it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: If you have to, be a lazy poo poo for a few weeks. You're adding a decade or two by quitting. Lots of time for jogging.

And now to smoke breaks. First, don't be at your desk or whatever. Walk somewhere, but NOT to the smoking area. Eat some munchy. Bring a bottle of water back to your desk when it's over. Keeps your mouth busy, keeps you alive, and you'll feel refreshed.

I did have one cigarette at the start of week 5. It wouldn't leave me alone. Nagging my thoughts all day. The fun part about Champix is that it's a nicotine suppressor. So, all I got was a mouth full of disgusting, and no matter how hard I puffed on that ciggie, no happy nicotine buzz. So, not even half way through I threw it out. I haven't seriously wanted one since.

Hmm, now I have a question. I haven't been coughing up any foul lung filth and it's been 8 weeks. what up with that?

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Captain Chestbeard posted:

Hmm, now I have a question. I haven't been coughing up any foul lung filth and it's been 8 weeks. what up with that?

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I'm on week 11 now and I haven't had any coughing fits or disgusting filth flying out of my lungs. The two previous times I was trying to quit, the coughing fits began maybe a week or two into quitting.

One difference between the previous times and now is that back in those days you could smoke pretty freely in bars in here. I'm a bit of a drunkard and was around smoke quite a bit even when I was quit. Nowadays smoking in bars is restricted to closed, ventilated areas, so I'm not passively smoking all the time. But surely this could not be of any consequence in this matter?

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Ive been smoking a pack a day for 10 years now, since I was 16, The other day was the first time I tried quitting, the physical pain after 30 minutes was what made me go buy another pack, I just couldn't stand it. Think ill need some sort of medication to quit or something.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
^^^Willpower is a muscle, and cold turkey is a bitch. This is my 9th quit attempt.

Branneth
Nov 19, 2002
Ask me about how I broke my phone's faggot screen.
I quit last year when I decided to start working out and eating right. All in all I am 1 billion times healthier, and don't cough and wheeze anymore. I lost 80 lbs and am feeling/looking fantastic. July 14th is my anniversary date.

YOU ALL CAN DO IT.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Some people experience serious coughing, some don't. I had some phlegm build up, but nothing like hacking coughing fits.

Good_Vs_Evil
Sep 12, 2006

bluegoon posted:

Ive been smoking a pack a day for 10 years now, since I was 16, The other day was the first time I tried quitting, the physical pain after 30 minutes was what made me go buy another pack, I just couldn't stand it. Think ill need some sort of medication to quit or something.

I smoked about a pack-a-day for almost 15 years. Had difficulty quitting, my parents smoke (so it's rough when I visit them), etc.

Chantix is a loving godsend. I took that for 4 months and haven't looked back since. I'm now about 6 months free with no problems. I visit my parents and, sure the urge is there, but it's very manageable.

If you can get it, I'd highly suggest you try it if you feel you need something to help you quit.

Subliminal Sauce
Apr 6, 2010

Spreading freedom and spreading it thick; that's just a thing us right-wing nutjobs do!
Some of us are unlovable, unemployable, worthless sacks of poo poo who lack to courage for suicide. Perhaps upping the toxins in cigarettes could expedite us off this pc, hipster mortal coil. Now in the black pack!

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Some of us would like to discuss methods of overcoming a terrible drug. It is called nicotine and it is more addictive than heroin, according to medical experts.

Some of us are also wondering how the above post didn't earn NKw006cKenny a spot in the Lerper's Colony...

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Some of us would like to discuss methods of overcoming a terrible drug. It is called nicotine and it is more addictive than heroin, according to medical experts.

Some of us are also wondering how the above post didn't earn NKw006cKenny a spot in the Lerper's Colony...

Don't you see? All discussion is pointless, because we all deserve to die.

Also, 3 months now.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Hoppin' on the quitting train. Day one! Hardest part will be not having a break cig while at work. Those were the best.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

7 months this Tuesday.

I did buy one pack when I was out of town a couple months ago. I didn't grief myself over it. It was kind of an away from home thing anyway. Don't kill yourself over cheating, especially if doing so causes you to take your focus off your goal or gives you a "gently caress it, may as well" attitude. That's more dangerous.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 25, 2010

David Bowie Knife
May 22, 2010

KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME
:suicide::suicide::suicide:
KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME
I have to agree with the Get Sick method. Being sick makes quitting smoking a whole hell of a lot easier. "But sir, I am not sick!! My immune system is a magnificent unicorn of antibodies," you say? I've found that making yourself extremely hung over works almost as well. Being barely able to move due to hair trigger fits of vomit makes smoking pretty difficult. It seems counter productive, but it worked for me.

It's not a miracle cure, but it definitely gives you a nice kick start to quitting.

*Don't blame me if you drink to much trying this method.

Jezrael
May 1, 2005
the bagel is an adequate vessel of nutrition
Yeah, three months this coming Tuesday and it feels great to be able to smell, taste and breathe again. I was very skeptical about being able to quit. But April fifth I smoked two packs; and on April sixth I just didn't have a cigarette.
Then the next day, and the day after that...

I just stopped liking them. And so now I almost see it in a way such that the act of self denial is way more satisfying than a cigarette will ever be.

I've even had a couple dreams where I take a puff (with the exact sensation of smoking), and wake up in anger only to be relieved that it was a dream.

And I still have one cigarette left from that two packs. And it's sitting on the desk right in front of me, as it has been for three months. Sitting there with its ol' pal, Mr. McBic.
Daring me, enticing me, luring me to just have that one cigarette.
But for some reason I get a strange sort of high by knowing that I'm better than it.

So, to anyone who is having trouble letting go of the smokes, just remember that no one else can quit for you. And you can't quit for anyone else. It can sometimes be all too easy to convince yourself of something - saying "It's too hard to quit" is just the first roadblock. But don't beat yourself up for giving in to the craving either, such things are the heart of the human condition, one that we have to accept.

Try to distract yourself. Try to replace it with something else. I couldn't tell you how much tea I drank in that first couple weeks. Two-three dozen cups or more a day (which probably isn't healthy either, but lets face it, it has to be better than that many cigarettes.)

Find something that takes your attention away. I started practicing piano more for example - just whatever it takes that needs undivided attention really, and so you may end up sharpening your skills while you're dulling your craving.

And soon enough you will get to a point where your life meets its status quo again, and your normal day won't be dictated by smoking (nictated?). And always remember that you only exist right now... and now... and now..., there is no time like the present - don't fret over the past and don't worry about the future - but control what you can, which are your actions, right now.

Anyhow, I just sort of stumbled in here just to see how people were doing with it, and there are obviously some dedicated souls. Kudos to everyone in this thread, good health and good luck my fellow ex-smokers :)

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

isaacsbot posted:

I have to agree with the Get Sick method.
Even more effective: the Get Sick And Also Have No Money method

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!
Hrmm... 4 weeks on Chanitx and 2 weeks no smoking here...

I have to say that the hardest thing for me is the now lack of smoke breaks... I can't take a break while working, because I always took breaks for a smoke... so if I take any now, it just reminds me...

So the down side is that I work longer hours... the upside is that after 2 weeks I feel better, though I still have the occasional physical craving (not chemical, but the physical feeling from inhaling smoke... weird, eh?)

As for side effects, I'll just bump what's been said before about food and Chantix/Champix... eat some friggin' food and drink a fair amount of water with each does. I didn't puke, but drat my gut felt like I just woke up after downing a bottle of cheap vodka...

I'm not depressed, but I have noticed that I'm more irritable than normal, but holy gently caress do I have some kick rear end dreams... I'm planning on taking the stuff for another 3 months or so and then kicking it.

But I have a question for those of you who've used Chantix/Champix and stopped it... did you stop the Chantix outright, or did you taper the dose down? Most things that gently caress with your brain need to be tapered down, but no one has ever mentioned if you should or shouldn't do that with Chantix...

Lucifer
Mar 23, 2004

I've been trying to cut down on cigarettes and I just want to say gently caress you quit bugging me.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

bladernr posted:

But I have a question for those of you who've used Chantix/Champix and stopped it... did you stop the Chantix outright, or did you taper the dose down? Most things that gently caress with your brain need to be tapered down, but no one has ever mentioned if you should or shouldn't do that with Chantix...

If you're that worried about it, I'd say cut down to one pill a day at some point, maybe after the tenth week?, and then someday you'll forget all about that pill you were supposed to take. Tada!

jeaves
Jun 2, 2004

*FART*FART*FART*

bladernr posted:

I just quit taking it outright after 3 months of 2 pills a day. No side effects at all. One year later and I'm still smoke free.

You can do it GBS!

linus the bear
Sep 12, 2003

Smoked for 7 years, Quit smoking 7 months ago, cold turkey.

Now the smell disgusts me.

If I can do it you can do it.

Professor Internet
Mar 24, 2004

Uhn tiss. Uhn tiss. Uhn tiss.
There is nothing to miss about smoking. I finally quit after 8 years because I realized that the way we feel when we smoke is how non-smokers feel all of the time. The only reason smoking is pleasureable is because our bodies are deprived of nicotine before we smoke and smoking replenishes it.

If you want to feel like you do when you smoke all of the time, quit smoking. It's as simple as that.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
I like the cut of your jib, Professor. I think there has to be some personal reason for quitting, not just the obvious medical reasons. For me, I just thought about how old my grandma was when she died of throat cancer, and that I'm half way there. If I kept smoking, I had to accept that my life COULD BE half over already. I could not accept this. Out go the cigarettes.

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW
Quit 5 days ago. Not much else to the story I'm afraid.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

bladernr posted:

Hrmm... 4 weeks on Chanitx and 2 weeks no smoking here...

I have to say that the hardest thing for me is the now lack of smoke breaks... I can't take a break while working, because I always took breaks for a smoke... so if I take any now, it just reminds me...

Same here, i haven't taken a break in months. I still smoke about ten cigars a month to keep my sanity. The government finally won, if cigarettes were still a buck or so like they were when i started i would be smoking right now. Seven months and i still dream about smoking nearly every night.

Good_Vs_Evil
Sep 12, 2006

bladernr posted:

I just outright stopped. I hated having to eat in the morning and kept forgetting to take one at night, and taking one without eating tore my stomach up, and I felt that I was done with smoking, so I just cold turkey quit Chantix. No side effects at all from stopping outright for me.

sizemon
Jun 16, 2003

Where would we be without vasoline?
Just realized that my last post here was almost a month ago now, and I was already a week without smokes by that point, so I'm past a month! I still get the temptation to smoke every once in a while but for the most part the smell still disgusts me and I have no desire to go back to it. I can see it being a little harder in the coming months but I plan on sticking with it. My cough is gone, my sense of smell and taste have regenerated (it was odd realizing how different some foods and drinks taste, and how bad my city smells sometimes), and I generally just feel a lot better. Now I just need to get my girlfriend to quit, but she just giggles every time I call her "smokey".

jholland
Feb 25, 2006

Heidey-ho neighbors!
Today was the first day of quitting after being a ~pack a day smoker for almost a year, and being a steady smoker for about two years before that.

So far so good, not many cravings, just one or two 'a cig would be nice..' feelings. Hopefully I can post again in a week or so.

e: Thanks Custodes, you as well. I'm in it for the financial aspect but mainly for the health benefits of quitting. My lungs are hosed enough as it is : P

jholland fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 29, 2010

Custodes
Jan 3, 2003

jholland posted:

Today was the first day of quitting after being a ~pack a day smoker for almost a year, and being a steady smoker for about two years before that.

So far so good, not many cravings, just one or two 'a cig would be nice..' feelings. Hopefully I can post again in a week or so.

I started 6 hours ago. I was recently laid off, and while I currently qualify for unemployment, I need to make sure I save up as much as I can as quickly as possible. Therefore, the best option seems to be cutting out $48 a week I'm wasting on being out of breath. Good luck man.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Jows posted:

On Monday I decided to significantly cut back on my smoking. I went from anywhere between 3/4 - 1-1/2 packs a day for 9 years down to 11 cigarettes on Monday, 6 on Tuesday, 4 on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Yesterday was a real test - my first time drinking since deciding to do this. I passed with flying colors. I didn't bring my smokes with me to my friends place and my only real bad craving was when my friends all decided to have cigars. I ended up smoking 4 for the day (1 before I left, 1 when I had to go home to walk my dog, and 2 more later on after I was home for the night), but being able to control cravings under the influence of beer without feeling the need to go buy more felt like a real success. Today I've only had 2 so far. I will probably end up having 1 more before I go to bed, but that's okay.

Cravings really haven't been that bad and most of the time when I have a smoke I dislike it. I just had one while I walked my dog and I have a rather unpleasant mild headache now. I have 7 left in my current pack and I expect to only need 1 more pack before I'm done.

I've tried quitting a few times in the past, but most of the time I give up on day 3 or 4. I've managed to go a month twice. But all those attempts were cold turkey. I think weaning down might be my best bet.

Wish me luck :)

Quoting myself from a month ago. My last cigarette was on June 1 around 11PM. I've been smoke free since. I just got back from a 10 day vacation that involved closing out bars 8 of the 10 days. I didn't smoke once. I feel very proud of myself.

loving dreams that I'm smoking are killer though. I woke up this morning and thought I cheated. Only the 2nd time it's happened though.

Good_Vs_Evil
Sep 12, 2006

Jows posted:

Quoting myself from a month ago. My last cigarette was on June 1 around 11PM. I've been smoke free since. I just got back from a 10 day vacation that involved closing out bars 8 of the 10 days. I didn't smoke once. I feel very proud of myself.

loving dreams that I'm smoking are killer though. I woke up this morning and thought I cheated. Only the 2nd time it's happened though.

Congrats! I also thought that bars would be really hard, but they aren't. Especially when people come up to the bar reeking of cigarette smoke. I still do miss the conversations that I had outside the bars however.

And the dreams...Christ, the dreams. They will keep occurring. I've had about 6 of them over the 5 months I've quit and every time it's pretty much the same. I pull an unopened pack out from my pocket or just have one in my hand. I think, "I don't smoke. What the gently caress!?" and feel like I've cheated. Sometimes it takes me quite a few minutes after I wake up to realize what happened. My relief afterward however reinforces that I've made the right decision.

Kippling
Jun 24, 2005

Hello again thread =) I started taking Champix on Monday, so sometime next week I'll be stopping smoking forever. I'm very chuffed with this drug, it's either genuine or a placebo effect but I don't care either way because, for the first time in loving ages, I ate a meal yesterday and didn't think about smoking afterward. It was so strange as I didn't make any conscious decisions, I simply forgot about it. When I do get cravings they seem more ignore-able too.

The side effects are weird though so thanks for the advanced warning by various people in this thread. I've has memorable dreams the last couple of nights, one in particular about deadly jumping spiders. Hooray.

I'm really looking forward to next week when I'll be doing an elaborate baccy destroying/disposing ceremony. I'm tempted to tie the bag to the back of my car with a long bit of string, the drive along so it gets ripped up and sheds its contents all over the place. But that would be really weird, so maybe not...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin Hideo
Jan 29, 2006
My true english is much stronger than yours
I am in a different boat than a lot of the people in this thread, but not really I guess.

Ive been smoking for probably about 3 years now, and have always kept it pretty much in check, when in comparison to pack a day smokers. I would smoke between 2-5 cigarettes a day, and it would go in waves. but it was almost always the same number every day, and it would start low, with 1 or 2, then increase to 3 or 4, then 5 and sometimes even 6. However, I would notice that it was getting more and more and would feel the need to "quit". It never lasts for more than a week or 2 but then I would slowly and surely start smoking again, 1-2, 2-3 a day, etc.

So I am again at that point where I've decided to take a stand, and it has been probably about a month since I have regularly smoked. I have basically allowed myself to only smoke when I go over to my friends house on the weekend, and I have found that by knowing I have an outlet, that ill be able to smoke again when I go there, helps control the cravings throughout the day. It has been about 11 days since I last had one, and while the cravings I get are not as strong as the ones most people deal with, they are still there. It seems like it should be easier for me to quit than other people since I have kept it for the most part down to a minimum, but its annoying that I enjoy smoking so much. I know that people say its the nicotine telling me that I enjoy it, and that people who say they enjoy it are just trying to justify the habit, and to an extent it is probably true, but that doesn't change the fact that I still enjoy it.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, but I decided it might help to put into words my addiction in an attempt to reinforce why I want to quit in the first place. But now that I have done so, I just want a smoke more now. Talking and thinking about smoking just makes you want to do it more, but I am still definitely resolved in quitting.

I always wished that cigarette packs would come in 5's or 10's, cause then I could cheat for a day and not have another 3 days of smoking just sitting around waiting for me.

Also, the dreams where you smoke and you wake up pissed for cheating are pretty cool, cause you get to have a smoke and not technically have cheated at the same time. Thats probably the wrong way to look at it, but its cool to know that I'm not the only one having these dreams.

Kevin Hideo fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 30, 2010

• Locked thread