Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

amishsexpot posted:

I got pretty worked up during the call and told her that I felt like she and my dad were controlling my life through guilt and manipulation and that they have consistently stood in the way of letting me explore psychology as a career. She said, "Law school is the only right thing to do, and you are too old to do anything else. You have to do this for your future and no one actually likes their job. You'll probably end up hating psychology if you do it. Also I guess you think we are horrible parents and never did anything good for you, and you're probably right. We're terrible parents and I am not controlling, but this is one thing you have to do. If you feel like you've been controlled for 25 years, you should be controlled for 3 more years and just go to law school. After you're done you can do whatever you want, but you need to do this."

She then went on saying that anyone can be a psychologist (this is based on her experiences working with social workers at her work -- which of course is totally different) but not everyone was smart enough to be a lawyer. And that this is something I needed for my future to be happy.

This may be culturally insensitive, but who gives a gently caress what your mom wants you to do with your life. You literally get one shot at this world; don't let it be dictated by someone who isn't interested in what you want or what your job prospects are.

Other option? Asian parents love Doctors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Hired Gun posted:

Welp. 167 on the LSAT. With my GPA (3.4) I doubt I'd get into a T14. Was hoping to pull out a 170+ but oh well. Now to figure out what to do that isn't law school.

Optometry. Or be a dentist. Or SALES.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
amishsexpot, that sucks.

But you are considering law school for literally all of the wrong reasons: because your parents want you to go; because you're bored and don't know what else you want to do with your life; and because you dream of doing fashion law.

I don't know what to tell you, or what you need to tell your folks. It sounds like maybe your parents don't have a clear eye for what a law degree will do for you (or indeed what it means to be a lawyer). And I understand that you don't want to be a paralegal for the rest of your life.

But look at the numbers. Look at the miserable people around you. Think, for a moment, about whether you are making a wise decision. You're about to invest a lot of money, and time, and overqualification in something that you don't want to do, that you have seen make other people miserable, and for what?

There are good reasons to go to law school. But you have not articulated a single one.

I went through a similar crisis when I was looking at law school. Not as bad as you, but I had a lot invested emotionally in law school, family thought I was going to be the lawyer, etc. And what you need to realize is that you are about to do something horribly stupid for a lot of bad reasons.

You need to sit down, figure your life out, figure out what would make you happy and achieve your goals, and then pursue it for those reasons.

Good luck.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this thread makes me sad there's not a good way for me to profit off the human misery it taps into

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I just saw that your parents are Asian. You should find some of atlas of bugs' old posts about working with Asian parents.

That makes it more difficult, but you need to realize that your parents are doing this because of fears about status, and not because it's actually what's good for you.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

amishsexpot posted:

This might be a little too E/N for some of your tastes, but I have to share the insanity I have to deal with --

My mom called to ask me how the Fordham Student's day went yesterday, and I told her it was somewhat interesting but I just couldn't get "excited" about learning law because I just am not interested in it and never really have been.

She of course cried and made vague suicide threats and said, "I can't believe you are still having these doubts after all this time."

I got pretty worked up during the call and told her that I felt like she and my dad were controlling my life through guilt and manipulation and that they have consistently stood in the way of letting me explore psychology as a career. She said, "Law school is the only right thing to do, and you are too old to do anything else. You have to do this for your future and no one actually likes their job. You'll probably end up hating psychology if you do it. Also I guess you think we are horrible parents and never did anything good for you, and you're probably right. We're terrible parents and I am not controlling, but this is one thing you have to do. If you feel like you've been controlled for 25 years, you should be controlled for 3 more years and just go to law school. After you're done you can do whatever you want, but you need to do this."

She then went on saying that anyone can be a psychologist (this is based on her experiences working with social workers at her work -- which of course is totally different) but not everyone was smart enough to be a lawyer. And that this is something I needed for my future to be happy.

I went on to tell her that most of the lawyers I know from work (I probably know at least 50) are unhappy, single or divorced, workaholics (not by choice), bitter, and drug addicts/drunks. My mom responded by telling me to quit my job immediately to get away from the "negative" environment. I asked her if she knew any lawyers at all, and she avoided answering the question.

Pretty much 99% of lawyers I know say that they went to law school because they couldn't think of anything else to do with their lives, and that it was the worst, worst, worst reason anyone could go to law school. Then they beg me to not go to law school.

I feel like I'm so hosed. If I stay a paralegal my entire life I'll be bored out of my loving mind and will feel like I never applied myself. If I go to law school, I'll be miserable, poor, lonely, overworked and unfulfilled. If I get a PhD, I may be poor, in school for the rest of my life, and still unhappy.

So what other options are there? Which is the least lovely option?

Adar - I'd love to meet up with you and your wife, as well as any other goons who will smack me with a wooden paddle and tell me what to do.

Business - thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

At this point I feel terrible for upsetting my mom to the point where we were both in tears. And I don't feel any more confident in my idea to pursue a PhD. I've come to this point with my parents several times over the past 7 years and it always ends with me trying to smooth the conflict over by lying and saying I'll go to law school and then delaying. At this point I'm going to be 35 and still deferring and complaining to goons that my life is horrible.

gently caress everything, seriously.

You're 25, work a job that gives you a comfortable, debt-free living, and you're worried about your life? C'mon, do you really want to go to law school and take on $100k in debt for the possibility that you might get a job that pays a little more but is more mind-numbing than what you do now?

Figure out what it is that you really want to do in life and go make it happen. You're not poor, you seem like you're probably pretty smart, and I'm sure you have ambitions. Make your own way and succeed or fail on your own terms.

Like Petey said, your parents aren't worried about you, they're worried about how they'll look, so gently caress 'em. Life is too short and there's too much to do in the world to worry about how other people want you to live your life.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

evilweasel posted:

this thread makes me sad there's not a good way for me to profit off the human misery it taps into

liquor store

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

diospadre posted:

Oh yeah, if you want to defer this issue with your parents for another year you should rob a bank like that one guy so Fordham rescinds your admission. Just make sure to steal enough so it's a felony.

Repeat after me: "I forgot armed robbery was illegal."

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
All of the unemployed lawgoons could probably run a pretty good Eve-isk/WoW-gold farming business.

* work from home
* already have game experience
* potentially some client relationship experience from summer law jobs
* no resume to submit/app to fill out
* just as spergy/OCD as looking for typos in credit agreements

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Protip for potential 0Ls: if your parents make your life decisions for you, law school is probably not the place for you.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

evilweasel posted:

Maybe there will be an industry for student loan modifications in the future...

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
We could design an MMO that uses realdolls as the interface and maybe there's a tantric element where you get experience multipliers for billing instead of interfacing

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
I had a great childhood and parents who love me and I'd never allow them to have anywhere close to the kind of control and influence over my life that Amish does. Am I a bad son?

Trash Can Man
May 31, 2005

I work until beer o'clock.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I hope you all did horribly and decide not to go

172! I think I'll go to law school just to spite you, Ainsley

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Holland Oats posted:

I had a great childhood and parents who love me and I'd never allow them to have anywhere close to the kind of control and influence over my life that Amish does. Am I a bad son?

No, that's normal.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Holland Oats posted:

No, you're just not Asian.

Amish, I completely understand your plight. I'm Chinese and my dad was once like this. It does seem irrational, but you cannot get over the fear of disappointing your parents. The guilt tripping is so powerful, so controlling, it's as if you have no control over your own decision making. However, you will need to overcome the guilt of upsetting your parents because, pardon the cliche here, your future well-being is at stake. I don't know what option to choose for your future, but it most certainly involves you not going to law school. That means you're going to need to say "no" to your parents. Your parents are themselves motivated by their own irrationalities and insecurities. They do not have the answers, only fears. Your happiness is not worth the pride of your parents.

You can think of it this way: you come out of law school a permanently more angry and boring individual. You have the same work and pay you had as a paralegal, only with the benefit of $100k of debt and the foreknowledge that you will never escape a career in law. All of this so that you can make your parents proud, barring the high probability you will need their assistance paying off their debt and dragging them down or that you will have a seething anger towards them that will manifest passive-aggressively and ruin whatever relationship you had with them. On the other hand, you could not go to law school and be where you are right now. Same job, same pay, not tied down to that job due to your degree, no debt. You will have to spend time mending your relationship with your parents, but this is entirely doable and will made easier when it becomes more evident to the public how the field of law is. Also, there is no rule that states you must go to graduate school before a certain age. You are in the enviable position of having both the time and the means to give you time to think about your future.

CIGNX fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 26, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Trash Can Man posted:

172! I think I'll go to law school just to spite you, Ainsley

If that's not the best reason to ruin your life I just don't know what is

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Blinkz0rz posted:

You're 25, work a job that gives you a comfortable, debt-free living, and you're worried about your life? C'mon, do you really want to go to law school and take on $100k in debt for the possibility that you might get a job that pays a little more but is more mind-numbing than what you do now?

Figure out what it is that you really want to do in life and go make it happen. You're not poor, you seem like you're probably pretty smart, and I'm sure you have ambitions. Make your own way and succeed or fail on your own terms.

Like Petey said, your parents aren't worried about you, they're worried about how they'll look, so gently caress 'em. Life is too short and there's too much to do in the world to worry about how other people want you to live your life.

$55k is pretty terrible especially if it is in NYC. I'd be looking for other options too.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Yeah Amish, one thing that stood out to me was that it seemed like it was very important to you to avoid $100k in debt and marrying for money (meaning: dependency or codependency on another), and yet the path you are considering would almost certainly lead you exactly to that, and what's more you've seen it happen with coworkers.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

CIGNX posted:

No, you're just not Asian.

I actually am Asian. 3rd/4th generation though so I'm pretty Americanized.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

It's like the 4chan of life/career advice.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Another day, another "lawyers are immoral scum-sucking demons" thread in GBS. Right on schedule!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alaemon posted:

Another day, another "lawyers are immoral scum-sucking demons" thread in GBS. Right on schedule!

The one about the school that wants the retarded 17 year old rape victim to pay for the school's legal fees? Or is there a new one?

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
That's the one.

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001
Hey guys, I'm a paralegal! Can I hang out with you guys or should I just go back to the "bra" thread? :roboluv:

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Chiken n' Waffles posted:

Hey guys, I'm a paralegal! Can I hang out with you guys or should I just go back to the "bra" thread? :roboluv:

It's fine, although you might find that your ability to get a job will set you apart from most of this thread's denizens.

Lucificate
Jan 4, 2005
I wanna reiterate to not go to law school.

Its tough man, there are no good answers.

Basically, start your own office or shoot for some low paying public legal job.

I started own place with brother, but we were on track to only net 60k for the year. Not much to divide between two people.

I left him with it and took a low paying trial court staff attorney job for the benefits (just had a baby) and some regular income . Make 43k/year. 60k in debt from school. Drive my mom's old van. Loan repayment on deferment. Cant afford anything. No prospects other than I am well known and liked in the area and have good relationships with the judges. This job helps with that a lot since I basically advise them of what to do. Still don't think I can run a successful law office. Too many established lawyers around doing crim defense.

My mom cried when I told her what the job I was taking earns. She makes 55k without a college degree at a bank and feels terrible about getting enthusiastic about law school and how rough things are because of it. It was such a big neat deal for the family when I got into UF law - no one in my family is a professional or has much success or money and they thought this would lead to that. We were all so loving stupid.

I feel like law school was the worst decision of my life. Unless you have a rich family with an established family law firm for you to step into I'd really not consider going.

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

Abugadu posted:

It's fine, although you might find that your ability to get a job will set you apart from most of this thread's denizens.

It's been fairly hard to get paralegal jobs also, a lot of the HR people I've talked to said that fresh out of law school lawyers are taking a good chunk of the paralegal jobs. Of course, doesn't help I have no legal experience aside from a certificate from an ABA approved program, but still, it's been hard to find an actual paralegal job.

Chiken n' Waffles posted:

Paralegal chat ITT? :hfive: I'm about to start a volunteer paralegal position with the local county attorney's office while I continue to try to find a paying job.

Walamor fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 27, 2010

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

I've just accepted an offer from the firm I summered with last year. I'm a bit dazed at the moment because after being no-offered originally I was convinced that I'd be frozen out of the profession, but am also really excited.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 27, 2010

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Ersatz posted:

I've just accepted an offer from the firm I summered with last year. I'm a bit dazed at the moment because after being no-offered last year I was convinced that I'd be frozen out of the profession, but am also really excited. Woot!

Awesome! Congrats bud.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

sigmachiev posted:

Awesome! Congrats bud.
Thanks!

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Ersatz posted:

I've just accepted an offer from the firm I summered with last year. I'm a bit dazed at the moment because after being no-offered originally I was convinced that I'd be frozen out of the profession, but am also really excited.

So wait, they no-offered you and then changed their mind?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Mookie posted:

So wait, they no-offered you and then changed their mind?
They didn't make any offers in my office last summer, but my reviews were good and work is picking up again in my specialization, so they decided to make me the offer now.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Ersatz posted:

They didn't make any offers in my office last summer, but my reviews were good and work is picking up again in my specialization, so they decided to make me the offer now.

Nothing like feeling wanted, eh?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Ersatz posted:

Wow, I've never heard of a firm rescinding a no-offer (or "making an offer" I guess... should be exacting in my contract parlance what with the bar exam and all)

Linguica fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 27, 2010

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Of course this also means if work dries up again he'll be the first one on the chopping block. (No happiness allowed.)

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Mookie posted:

Nothing like feeling wanted, eh?
Absolutely.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

InternetRulesLawyer posted:

Wait, you're the guy that Mookie told to shut up because you're not a lawyer but you like to pretend to know what you're talking about all the time. You also were the biggest Obama fanboy in the entire universe for months and months and were hilariously disappointed when he turned out to be just another empty suit. You should probably stay out of lawyer threads because you are really not very good at legal analysis or thinking in general, just sayin'

Hi Remedial, how you doing

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
~*~course chat~*~

How's this for 3L course padding:

Law of War
Law & Literature
History of CrimLaw
International CrimLaw
(and a few important ones like Sexual Offences)

There's no international animal rights law class being offered :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001

Walamor posted:

Paralegal chat ITT? :hfive: I'm about to start a volunteer paralegal position with the local county attorney's office while I continue to try to find a paying job.

Where are you located? AZ?

I bet you'll get some great experience with your volunteer service. A lot of places don't want to hire attorneys for clearly paralegal work because the firm knows that they'll get the hell out of there if there's any chance for them to do so. If you do any interviews I'd really hammer that point home.

I interned for a long time with a mid sized firm as well as with a solo attorney. Both places let me learn different things. I drafted a lot of complaints and motions and just general every day letters and the attorneys were exceptional about helping me along the way. Also, the most important thing for me was really starting to know the State Rules of Court. And one of the best things I did was to call Timeslips and get them to send me their demo software. It's really a good idea to know that one.

Chiken n' Waffles fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 28, 2010