Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
Nature's Miracle in the UK

LargeHadronColada posted:

Will do - some of the bottles are back in stock, but only the ferret-specific ones.

http://www.companionschoice.co.uk/ if anyone's interested!

Given it seems so difficult to get this stuff in the UK, just wanted to let folk know that this place has started selling the cat version again in reasonable sizes - 32oz rather than gallon bottles.

Doubtful Guest fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

McKracken posted:

I have a Charlie too :hfive:.

Charlieposting all up in here.

He's now more or less totally out of his shell and is in fact lying in my lap, kneading and purring, as we speak.

The mussed up fur is from him starting to groom and then completely forgetting about it.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Fire In The Disco posted:

I know it's hard to hear this advice with your current mood, but look at it this way: Your roommate doesn't have the boundless energy necessary to completely exhaust the kitten, and neither do you. Guess who does? Another similarly hyper kitten. You don't necessarily have to get a very young one; most 1 year old cats still have a very high energy level. But it is seriously the best way to get all that crazy energy out of a kitten when you can't play with them 24/7.

Pretty much. My cats are littermates, they spent most of their kittenhood chasing/wrestling with each other rather than trashing the place. Not that they never get into stuff they shouldn't . . . they just usually end up seeing the other and running after them before they really destroy something. Most of the time they'd much rather tackle each other or chase each others' tails than chew on a cord or whatever.

somethingawesomer
Nov 16, 2005

Hey guys, I really need some help because my partner just got a job that is going to have her away for 30-50 days and we are still having new cat issues.

Background: First, early last month our Siamese Snowshoe Riley died suddenly. Our foster cat Montana (lived with us since December 2009) was searching for him for days but eventually settled and became super affectionate and loving. About three weeks ago we adopted another Snowshoe, who we renamed Indy, who is ~5 years old, male, fixed (judging from the size of his face and balls, he might have not been neutered until he was well into adulthood), and sweet as hell with us (lapcat!) but VERY scared (hissing and swatting) at Montana. He origially lived as an only cat, was neglected and stuff, and then rehomed with some family who had large dogs who chased him. Now he's ours. When he's alone with us he's sweet, affectionate, playful and likes to be close to us.

Situation: Everything was going smooth after just a few days, so we let them out supervised, and then on their second night out and then they got into a fight (with blood) in the middle of the night when my partner was still up. So since then we've just been separating them, one lives in the bedroom and one has run of the kitchen and living room. We switch them every 3 days. Both are happy in their separate rooms, neither cry to get out and both check out the doors every once in awhile. They have no issues sharing the same boxes or bowls, but if Montana is in the same room Indy is scared shitless and runs and hides. Montana is more :downs: and he is a brat (he's six years old), I know he wants to play and I think he likes pissing off Indy and chases him until he's jammed himself somewhere small and is really scared. Then he just sits and waits until he comes out and pounces him.

Both are healthy and active, affectionate with us, Indy is fine litter box wise and Montana SOMETIMES poops on the bathroom floor, but we think it's because we didn't clean his box as well as we should have.

Today was switch day and I decided to put Montana in his crate, and he just sat pretty and quiet while I let Indy out to roam and shut the bedroom behind him. He was fine until he found Montana and he pretty much exploded and hissed like crazy, and then ran off into a corner to hide from the scary crated cat. I feel like it's more of an anxious/fear thing than anything for him, I don't think he's actually aggressive.

- Sex: Both are neutered males.
- How long have you had your cat? Montana since 12/09, Indy for about three weeks.
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yes.
- What food do you use? EVO Fish for Montana plus wet food, Indy eats Lotus.
- When was your last vet visit? Montana was 12/09, Indy was the day we adopted him.
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors.
- How many pets in your household? 2
- How many litter boxes do you have? 2

Anyway I'm going to be by myself when she's gone, and I work full time. My work is only 5 mins away so I won't be gone more than nine hours at a time, but still. I wan to ideally have both cats but I CAN RETURN MONTANA is I need to, at least until my partner returns from work. He is a foster cat and as long as he's not adopted, we can take him back whenever we want.

Should I douse my apartment in Feliway? Drug them with calming treats? Return Montana? Find a cat whisperer? Returning Indy is not an option for me, I adopted him and I will love him forever even if I can't foster anymore. Thanks guys.

somethingawesomer fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 27, 2010

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
So wait, have you been doing any supervised introductions at all? It sounds like initially you had them separated, then turned them loose with no supervision, then went straight back to separation when that went badly. Try letting them out at the same time in one area. Only reseparate them when (A) you can't supervise them any more OR (b) blood/serious fight. They need time to get used to each other, which will not happen if they keep living totally separate lives, nor will it be easy for them if you just throw them together and hope for the best.

somethingawesomer
Nov 16, 2005

Eggplant Wizard posted:

So wait, have you been doing any supervised introductions at all? It sounds like initially you had them separated, then turned them loose with no supervision, then went straight back to separation when that went badly. Try letting them out at the same time in one area. Only reseparate them when (A) you can't supervise them any more OR (b) blood/serious fight. They need time to get used to each other, which will not happen if they keep living totally separate lives, nor will it be easy for them if you just throw them together and hope for the best.

Sorry, I was a bit unclear. It's only been supervised, never unsupervised. They got into a fight when we had stepped out for a second to dump the trash or something. It happened that quickly.

I did let them both out today for a bit, and Montana just cornered Indy again and Indy was nervous but they didn't DO anything really, so I'm not too worried.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Liquid Penguins posted:

I know that you're just trying to help and that there probably is an overwhelming amount of reasons to support that idea, but after not sleeping all night because the cat kept making noise, knocking poo poo over, and trying to bite and scratch me the last thing I want to say right now is "hey, let's get another cat!"

Have you tried exhausting him with a laser pointer? I used to have the same problem and now Scruffy gets 10-15 minutes with the laser before bedtime every night. Works like a charm.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

somethingawesomer posted:

Sorry, I was a bit unclear. It's only been supervised, never unsupervised. They got into a fight when we had stepped out for a second to dump the trash or something. It happened that quickly.

I did let them both out today for a bit, and Montana just cornered Indy again and Indy was nervous but they didn't DO anything really, so I'm not too worried.

Keep on doing this. It's going to take a while, since apparently neither of them is into this idea. Try feliway and keep it up. You may also be able to bribe them to like each other by giving them a treat they only get when doing introductions, like a bit of wet food or something. OTOH, my cat wouldn't touch his favorite treats for the whole first day the second cat was here, and he's pretty easy going :\

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
So rule one of the FAQ seems to be "take 'em to the vet". I'm trying to find a good veterinarian in Philadelphia. I adopted a stray that I found, and got all the initial work done at the ASPCA. I've got two add'l stray kittens that need an initial checkup/sterilization, and all three of my cats need flea treatment. There are a bunch of shelters that'll do everything really cheaply, but I can pay a normal price and don't want to overburden people who doing it for urgent reasons.

I'm thinking of just going to VCA Cat Hospital, cause they've got a brand name, but was trying to see if anyone had any preferences.

EDIT: Bad cellphone image

Click here for the full 1296x976 image.

EDIT: I guess to make it an FAQ type of question -- what resources are available for a person to find a reputable vet? I thought I remembered seeing a question like this in the first 20 pages of the thread, but it never made the op and it's been a while.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

The Modern Leper posted:

I guess to make it an FAQ type of question -- what resources are available for a person to find a reputable vet? I thought I remembered seeing a question like this in the first 20 pages of the thread, but it never made the op and it's been a while.
For cats, I would always start by checking this website: http://www.catvets.com/findadoctor/findadoctor.aspx

AAFP members will generally be vets who have a particular interest in feline medicine and may be more up-to-date on recommended vaccine protocols, etc. Most people have good experiences with cat-only clinics, too, and it looks like there are several to choose from in Philadelphia. Reading reviews on the internet can be helpful, but some people are stupid and angry and cheap and leave horrible reviews for great vets, so take everything with a grain of salt. If you're trying to narrow it down between a couple that look good, you may want to compare their hours to your work schedule (some are open later in the evenings, some aren't open on Saturdays, etc.) -- convenience and location are definitely worth something.

That VCA Cat Hospital may be great, but I wouldn't choose it based on brand name alone. Some VCA hospitals are terrible, and some are great, which is true for all corporate clinics.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Crooked Booty posted:

For cats, I would always start by checking this website: http://www.catvets.com/findadoctor/findadoctor.aspx

AAFP members will generally be vets who have a particular interest in feline medicine and may be more up-to-date on recommended vaccine protocols, etc. Most people have good experiences with cat-only clinics, too, and it looks like there are several to choose from in Philadelphia. Reading reviews on the internet can be helpful, but some people are stupid and angry and cheap and leave horrible reviews for great vets, so take everything with a grain of salt. If you're trying to narrow it down between a couple that look good, you may want to compare their hours to your work schedule (some are open later in the evenings, some aren't open on Saturdays, etc.) -- convenience and location are definitely worth something.

That VCA Cat Hospital may be great, but I wouldn't choose it based on brand name alone. Some VCA hospitals are terrible, and some are great, which is true for all corporate clinics.

Thanks. This is really helpful. Yeah -- the work schedule sync will probably be a big factor. We've actually got a really good vet school in the city, so I imagine that my options will be fairly solid across the board.

Casca
Jan 25, 2006

The Saints must Flow.
Can anyone tell me if cats typically have nausea/vomiting from antibiotics?

Long story, skip to the bottom for tl;dr- On Monday my husband found this kitten at his work covered in motor oil, grease and diesel fuel and brought her home. We bathed her in Dawn because it was the only thing that would cut the oil and got most of it off. She still has some little tarballs on her claws and armpits, I plan to give her another bath sometime today or tomorrow.

Because we have another cat I kept her quarantined and took her straight to the vet Tuesday afternoon for FeLV/FIV testing, deworming, shots and a general looking over. The vet pronounced her to be a 8 to 10 week old kitten in good shape except for ear mites, which he treated. For the next couple days she was eating, drinking and going to the litterbox ok, but very sleepy and lethargic. She also didn't seem to want to be touched around the hindquarters. At first I wrote it off as her feeling icky and sore from the shot, but by Thursday evening I had decided to call the vet next morning if she was still acting sick. I also searched around on her back and hindlegs trying to find what might be hurting her and found nothing.

So Friday morning rolls around and I'm trying to coax the kitten into purring and playing a little while waiting for the vet to open. She's hunched into a catloaf postion on her blanket, then rolls over onto her side and lets out a cry of pain, then suddenly begins licking on the underside base of her tail. I look to see what the hell, and there's bloody fluid on the blanket and there's some sort of lesion or abscess weeping on the underside of her tail. She licks it for a quite a while and I comfort her before calling the vet make an apppointment for that afternoon. For the rest of the day she was a lot more active, playful and happy, I assume because the thing had burst and she felt a lot better.

Anyway we go to the vet yesterday afternoon, he says it is indeed an abscess caused by a puncture of some sort and that's why she's been under the weather and also running a 1-2 degree fever. He gives the kitten an antibiotic shot and gives me 7 days of antibiotic pills, and tells me if it looks the same or worse by Tuesday to bring her back in because it'll need to be opened up and flushed. I say ok, bring my kitten home where she promptly goes to sleep. Later that evening she gets up and plays, but isn't interested delicious wet stinky food. She also vomits white foamy liquid twice.

This morning she still won't eat and vomited white foam again. She is drinking water, using the box and wanting to play a little in between very long naps. I haven't given her any of the pills yet today and I'm wondering if the shot is what's causing her to feel queasy. I'm understandably worried about hepatic lipidosis if this continues and am not sure what to do. I was going to call the vet and ask but he isn't open on weekends. Help?

TL;DR-
I've got a kitten with an abscess on her tail, yesterday the vet gave her an antibiotic shot and 7 days of pills. She was eating OK up until last night. Now she will barely nibble at the tasty stinky wet food I'm offering and also she threw up a little fluid twice last night and once this morning. She's been drinking water and going to the bathroom all right. I'm concerned that the antibiotics may be causing nausea. Her vet is closed on weekends. What can I do to get this kitten to eat before it gets out of hand and her liver goes crazy?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Casca posted:

TL;DR-
I've got a kitten with an abscess on her tail, yesterday the vet gave her an antibiotic shot and 7 days of pills. She was eating OK up until last night. Now she will barely nibble at the tasty stinky wet food I'm offering and also she threw up a little fluid twice last night and once this morning. She's been drinking water and going to the bathroom all right. I'm concerned that the antibiotics may be causing nausea. Her vet is closed on weekends. What can I do to get this kitten to eat before it gets out of hand and her liver goes crazy?
I would call an e-vet first of all, just for advice. In addition to the liver, I'd be worried about her blood sugar getting too low since she's a kitten. Was the shot Convenia? If so, that's unfortunate because it's meant to stay in her system for over a week.

In any case, I'd mix some canned food with water and try to syringe feed her a little. You can also try canned tuna or some chicken/turkey baby food (just make sure there aren't any non-meat ingredients in it). If she can't keep the food down, I'd take her to the e-vet. They should at least be able to give her something for nausea or to help boost her appetite.

Sounds like this kitten was very lucky your husband found her! You should probably post pics. :3:

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
Agreeing with everything CB said here. You can also try to get some Kitten Milk Replacer from the pet store and make a warm slurry with that and the stinky wet food. If she won't eat it on her own try putting in on your fingers and putting it in her mouth or syringe feeding like CB said. At this point she definitely needs sustenance.

What's the name of the pill antibiotic?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

The Modern Leper posted:

There are a bunch of shelters that'll do everything really cheaply, but I can pay a normal price and don't want to overburden people who doing it for urgent reasons.

Call these shelters and ask for a recommendation. Neither of the vets in my town are on that list someone linked, but before the question was halfway out of my mouth, the shelter workers said, "Go to Dr. X. Dr. Y is CRAZY." You probably have more than 2 vets to choose from, and I hope none of them are crazy, but shelter workers will know what's up.

Casca
Jan 25, 2006

The Saints must Flow.
The shot was Cefazolin SOD and he gave it to her about 19 hours ago. The pills are Clavamox 62.5mg and she's to take one once a day starting this afternoon. Also she just threw up again 2-3 mins ago when she got in the catbox to pee. I'm about to go to the feed store here in town to see if they have any KMR or whatever, we're in a very rural area and the closest pet store (big box or otherwise) is about 70 miles away. I'm also going through the phone book now looking for an e-vet to call.

Oh and by the way, we named her Diesel.
Pictures-

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
Clav can make stomachs upset, but it sounds like, with the frequency of the vomiting, that at this point it may just be either a reaction to the shot or her generally having an infection and being sick. Getting her to eat is most important right now.

edit: I dunno what others think, but she looks bigger than 8 weeks to me... closer to 12.

Casca
Jan 25, 2006

The Saints must Flow.
Well, I've found out "e-vet" in this area means "vet's home phone". Is that usual? I got a couple answering machines before giving it a rest. The idea of calling a vet at home just to ask questions made me feel uncomfortable. :( Should I suck it up and call again?

I got some baby food, some plain active culture yoghurt and a can of Hartz kitten formula. Yes Hartz sucks but the feed store was out of KMR. I did have a brief angry argument with myself before deciding the stuff probably wasn't made of ground up flea collars and shouldn't do any harm to a kitten of Diesel's age. I also bought some awful brand name canned kitten food to tempt her with later.

I couldn't get her interested in eating anything voluntarily so I wiped baby food across her lips a fingerful at a time so she had to lick it off. I think I got about a teaspoon in her before she got really annoyed. She got a fingerful of yoghurt as well and I also used a straw to give her some of the formula which she didn't appreciate. I'd say she got a full straw's worth. Since it was now time for her medicine I tried to pill her with a Greenie but she wasn't having any of that either so I had to do it the old fashioned way.

Afterwards she got a big drink of water, washed her face for like 10 minutes then hopped up in my lap and purred herself to sleep. At least she is a forgiving kitty.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
When my kitty needed antibiotics we had to wait a week to start them because my vet was worried about them making her puke and she was already having problems keeping food down (constipation). So my 2 cents is yeah antibiotics make cats puke, However sounds like a call to the vet is a good idea. Good luck! Diesel is the perfect name.
*posted at the same time as you. Glad you are getting some food in her

Casca
Jan 25, 2006

The Saints must Flow.
After my last post I was able to find a proper syringe at Walmart and I just fed the kitten 6ml of wet kitten food mixed with formula. Is that enough? Too much? And how often should I keep giving it to her? On an optimistic note, she hasn't vomited anything I've given her yet and is now sleeping peacefully.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Casca posted:

After my last post I was able to find a proper syringe at Walmart and I just fed the kitten 6ml of wet kitten food mixed with formula. Is that enough? Too much? And how often should I keep giving it to her? On an optimistic note, she hasn't vomited anything I've given her yet and is now sleeping peacefully.
I would wait couple hours to see if she is able to keep it down. If so, you could do another 6-12ml. I'm not sure how calorie-rich that formula is, but as long as you're getting a little something in her a handful of times per day, her blood glucose and liver should be okay. Hopefully she'll perk up and start eating on her own soon, but if you have to keep this up until you can get her to a vet on Monday, I'd probably shoot for 40ml per day minimum. Just take it really slow.

Casca
Jan 25, 2006

The Saints must Flow.
Welp, kitty puked again when she went in the litterbox about an hour and a half after I fed her. Odd thing, every time she's done it its been near or in the box. I think she lost most of the syringe but it was super runny so maybe not as much as it appears. I just now fed her 6ml again, this time I made it with more formula to try and counteract how much fluid she must be losing by vomiting. Also hoping that with extra formula she might pass more of the goodies through before she upchucks it.

Assuming she doesn't stop, when I take her in on Monday will the vet prescribe a medication to counteract the nausea or what?

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
is she pooping at all?

Casca
Jan 25, 2006

The Saints must Flow.
She's been pooping pretty regularly one or twice a day. I don't think she's constipated, last week when she first got here they were hard and black but now they're normal kitten poops. The last time that I'm positive she went was yesterday morning and I'm certain she went on Friday afternoon also. Past that I'm not sure, she's sharing a box with my other cat and I haven't been paying a huge amount of attention.

Update on the eating front- the last syringe I gave her last night seems to have stayed down unless Diesel snuck off and did it behind the couch or something while I was asleep. I gave her another one this morning about 3 hours ago. Oh, and I've been giving a fingerful of yogurt at every feeding also. She still doesn't seem to be much interested in eating on her own.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Casca posted:

She's been pooping pretty regularly one or twice a day. I don't think she's constipated, last week when she first got here they were hard and black but now they're normal kitten poops. The last time that I'm positive she went was yesterday morning and I'm certain she went on Friday afternoon also. Past that I'm not sure, she's sharing a box with my other cat and I haven't been paying a huge amount of attention.

Update on the eating front- the last syringe I gave her last night seems to have stayed down unless Diesel snuck off and did it behind the couch or something while I was asleep. I gave her another one this morning about 3 hours ago. Oh, and I've been giving a fingerful of yogurt at every feeding also. She still doesn't seem to be much interested in eating on her own.
Sometimes when cats are constipated, they will strain in the litter box to the point of making themselves vomit (usually right next to the box) so I would try to keep an eye on her when she goes in the box to make sure she's taking care of business. Kittens usually poop at least a few times per day.

Yes, the vet should be able to prescribe something for nausea if that's the only problem. But the fact that she's vomiting when she goes in the litter box, and that the abscess is on the base of her tail, makes me wonder if those things aren't related -- i.e. she may have made herself constipated due to pain from her tail, which is now causing the vomiting -- so it may be that fixing the constipation and the pain is more appropriate than treating the nausea directly.

Casca
Jan 25, 2006

The Saints must Flow.
Good point! I hadn't really thought to connect the two. When she first got here she'd sometimes meow while pooping- I checked her rear end but since nothing seemed wrong with it and she did successfully poop every time I thought she was being weird like cats sometimes are. She hasn't been making any noise while going for the past few days but I'll keep a closer eye on her when she goes in the box and see if she's vomiting while trying to go.

If she is constipated is it safe to continue with the syringe feeding today, and is there anything else I can do to help her with it?

By the way she's still drinking water on her own and its not little sips either. She's going to the bowl and getting good long drinks. Is this significant?

BLOG KING
Jun 20, 2004
Hi guys... I'm looking for some reassurance.

I just brought home a new kitten yesterday. He's in my bathroom right now, separated from my other cat. My mother found three kittens and their mother a month ago. They were living in her sun porch with lots of toys and lots of attention and love. The other two cats warmed up after a month, but my little guy, Remi, is still scared to death of people.

Normally, I'm referred to as the cat whisperer - my other cat is laying on my chest right now, in fact - but Remi is terrified. No doubt he misses his brothers and mom. He won't leave the crate that I brought him home in. It's a top-loading cloth one, so he's comfortable, but if I bring him out of the crate, he starts to shake... I give him food in the crate, and try to get him to use his litter box, but I don't think he has yet. So far, my progress has been from leaving him in the crate in the bath tub to leaving him in the crate on the bathroom floor. I keep going in to visit him, speak to him in a soft voice, and stay at his eye level, but if I get near him, he hisses... if I hide the crate, he starts meowing and shaking. I've been able to pat him, and he seems to enjoy it, I think...

Has anyone had a kitten like this? Any luck? I'm trying to be patient, but it's breaking my heart. He's about 12 weeks old now, neutered, NOT going to declaw him.

BLOG KING fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 27, 2010

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
Be patient. It's only been a day! It could take a few weeks or a month, but if he's letting you pet him then you'll be able to make some progress. Make sure you get him to a vet to be tested for feline leukemia and FIV, since he was a stray's kitten.

And as always it's always better to get two than one, especially with the timid ones.

edit: so he has been to a vet then, great!

Just give it time. He's in a new place and had a ton of changes. Don't force it.

BLOG KING
Jun 20, 2004
Ok, glad to hear it.

What should I be doing to properly socialize him? I've actually figured out how to get him purring like a motorboat in his little crate. Once he's back to normal, he does hissing if he feels cornered, yuck. He seems to be improving, but I want to make sure he isn't scared to death of me when he's an adult. As I mentioned, I go into the bathroom to check on him every hour or so, talk softly to him and pat him, etc.

Edit: Oh right, I don't want him exploding. :) Sorry about the quality - camera phone.

BLOG KING fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 27, 2010

EtOH
Nov 25, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I got a kitten about a month ago (she's about 10 weeks old now). So far it's been pretty smooth sailing, but a couple of minor things:

1) She plays with (or attacks) my hand often whenever I try to pet her or when I'm lying down on my bed. It's usually okay because I've trimmed her front claws, but the biting hurts sometimes. I've tried the "OW!" and walk-away method but it seems to only work temporarily. I've also tried putting Bitter Yuck on my hand to discourage biting, but that stuff gets in MY mouth occasionally which sucks. Any advice? Is this normal behavior?

2) She still prefers to sleep somewhere under my bed or in a dark corner behind a bookcase, instead of cuddling on my bed with me :(.

The subject in question:

Luna aka Mo-Mo

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

whoever recommended the Furminator earlier, I thank you for the mountain of cat fur which is currently being used as replacement insulation in my attic

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

EtOH posted:

I got a kitten about a month ago (she's about 10 weeks old now). So far it's been pretty smooth sailing, but a couple of minor things:

1) She plays with (or attacks) my hand often whenever I try to pet her or when I'm lying down on my bed. It's usually okay because I've trimmed her front claws, but the biting hurts sometimes. I've tried the "OW!" and walk-away method but it seems to only work temporarily. I've also tried putting Bitter Yuck on my hand to discourage biting, but that stuff gets in MY mouth occasionally which sucks. Any advice? Is this normal behavior?

2) She still prefers to sleep somewhere under my bed or in a dark corner behind a bookcase, instead of cuddling on my bed with me :(.

The subject in question:

Luna aka Mo-Mo

1. Do you play with her with your hands? If so, quit it now. She won't get the right idea and won't be able to differentiate between OMG AWESOME PLAY TIME and love time. Get her some feather toys on a stick or other toys that don't require your hand to be near her. Keep reinforcing that it hurts by making a high pitched yelp like a littermate would and walking away.

2. Give her time. :)

My Luna says hi to your Luna (this picture is from when she was a wee kitten, younger than yours, over a year ago):

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

EtOH posted:

The subject in question:

Luna aka Mo-Mo

1) Just keep doing it, be really consistent with it. She should get the idea eventually that rough play = no play.

2) Be careful what you wish for! My dude was really shy at first and now he pretty much sleeps on my face. Just give it time.

Nooo my avatar change ate my Animal Haus tag. :(

EtOH
Nov 25, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Fire In The Disco posted:

1. Do you play with her with your hands? If so, quit it now. She won't get the right idea and won't be able to differentiate between OMG AWESOME PLAY TIME and love time. Get her some feather toys on a stick or other toys that don't require your hand to be near her. Keep reinforcing that it hurts by making a high pitched yelp like a littermate would and walking away.

2. Give her time. :)

My Luna says hi to your Luna (this picture is from when she was a wee kitten, younger than yours, over a year ago):

Hi LUNA! Your chest is sho fuwwy! Mmmmm (this is me rubbing my face in her chest).

HondaCivet posted:

1) Just keep doing it, be really consistent with it. She should get the idea eventually that rough play = no play.

2) Be careful what you wish for! My dude was really shy at first and now he pretty much sleeps on my face. Just give it time.

And thanks for the tips, both of you! Pet Island rocks!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

EtOH posted:

Hi LUNA! Your chest is sho fuwwy! Mmmmm (this is me rubbing my face in her chest).

This is the most recent picture I have of her. She's grown huge on good food and love. :3:

Casca
Jan 25, 2006

The Saints must Flow.
Well after a weekend of syringes, puking and worrying, late last night Diesel ate some dry cat food and again this morning. She's also made two massive poops and had super kitten zoomies for about an hour and a half straight. Right now she is sitting on my stomach purring loudly and trying to eat my headphone wires. I think she's maybe feeling better :P I may call the vet and let him know everything that happened but I don't think she really needs to go anymore.

Bonus pic to avoid exploding-

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Casca posted:

Well after a weekend of syringes, puking and worrying, late last night Diesel ate some dry cat food and again this morning. She's also made two massive poops and had super kitten zoomies for about an hour and a half straight. Right now she is sitting on my stomach purring loudly and trying to eat my headphone wires. I think she's maybe feeling better :P I may call the vet and let him know everything that happened but I don't think she really needs to go anymore.

Bonus pic to avoid exploding-

Yaaaay giant poops and super zoomies. :neckbeard:

You should totally call the vet in case they have any other advice for you. I don't know about your vet but mine always calls and follows up anyway so you might as well get it out of the way.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

So we sort of inadvertantly got adopted by a kitten last night. He appears to be without a mommy kitty. He looks to be about 4 weeks old or so, maybe 6 but that might be pushing it. He is able to eat dry food ok, and drinking water.

However we can't get him to use the litter box. Also, he has peed a couple of times but he hasn't pooped at all. He eats a lot though, so we're kind of concerned. We've put him in the litter box several times and also tried to stimulate his butt with a washcloth a few times, but so far he hasn't passed anything solid. We've had him for about 20 hours now.

Otherwise, he cries a lot until you hold him and pet him, and kneads us constantly. He's played a little but mostly he seems interested in pets and cuddles, and food.

Does this sound ok? We're worried about the fact that he hasn't pooped at all (he has farted a lot, though).
Bonus pic!

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

HondaCivet posted:

This happened to me too :(

If someone else buys your avatar you get to keep your gang tag, but not if you buy your own. I just plan on making my husband buy my avatar in the future if I ever get it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

evelynevvie posted:

So we sort of inadvertantly got adopted by a kitten last night. He appears to be without a mommy kitty. He looks to be about 4 weeks old or so, maybe 6 but that might be pushing it. He is able to eat dry food ok, and drinking water.

However we can't get him to use the litter box. Also, he has peed a couple of times but he hasn't pooped at all. He eats a lot though, so we're kind of concerned. We've put him in the litter box several times and also tried to stimulate his butt with a washcloth a few times, but so far he hasn't passed anything solid. We've had him for about 20 hours now.

Otherwise, he cries a lot until you hold him and pet him, and kneads us constantly. He's played a little but mostly he seems interested in pets and cuddles, and food.

Does this sound ok? We're worried about the fact that he hasn't pooped at all (he has farted a lot, though).
Bonus pic!

I'm not too sure about the poop thing but I'd probably just get him to the vet ASAP so that they can see how he's doing. He's pretty young and you don't now how long he's been alone, if he's been eating OK, etc.