Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

So I tried to install internet TV through Windows Media Center now that I have Win7 64-bit. It keeps telling me there was an installation error and to try again. All the sites I have been reading on gives no hope and so far I have yet to figure it out.

anyone had this problem with Win 7 and figured it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farcus
Jan 11, 2004
Togetha?
I read somewhere that Window Vista Home Premium only allows you to control "out" of a remote computer but it DOES NOT allow it to be remotely controlled "in", is this true? What I mean is you can use your computer(that has Home Prem) and remotely control another computer that has the service activated but if you want to use another computer to remotely control the computer that has Home Prem its not possible.

Reason I'm asking is I'm trying to get my PPC to remotely control my laptop.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Farcus posted:

I read somewhere that Window Vista Home Premium only allows you to control "out" of a remote computer but it DOES NOT allow it to be remotely controlled "in", is this true? What I mean is you can use your computer(that has Home Prem) and remotely control another computer that has the service activated but if you want to use another computer to remotely control the computer that has Home Prem its not possible.

Pretty much. My Win 7 Home desktop can RDP into my Vista Ultimate desktop, but not the other way around. I installed TightVNC on the computers, and use that to remote in to the 7 Home computers.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Farcus posted:

that's correct

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Morales posted:

We have an internal webserver, let's just call it 'MyApp'

A user will visit a page on that server, such as http://myapp/Timecards/, and get the page. With Windows 7, that doesn't work, and we have to use the IP address. http://10.0.0.1/Timecards/

Our DNS server is set as our Small Business Server (2003), and you can access the actual server by it's machine name by DNS on both XP and 7 (Webserver, for instance). It's just that MyApp site that doesn't work by name (different IP, same machine). You can also access the SBS Sharepoint page 'companyweb'.

Any reason why this works fine in Windows XP but not Windows 7?

Make sure there is a WINS entry for MyApp. When using DHCP, that's usually handled by 'register this connection in DNS' but static windows machines and linux machines won't do this.

You can also check the windows 7 machine, and make sure that 'append primary and connection specific dns suffixes' is enabled. I'm also presuming there is no VPN stuff involved, which is a whole other headache.

You can also just use the FQDN: myapp.<domain>.internal

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Is there a reason why one of my cores (4th one, specifically) would be at 95-99% for extended periods of time while the system is idle? Every now and then, it'll do that. Resource Monitor says System Interrupts are using all that juice. I tried updating my motherboard network drivers, but that didn't change anything. I also read that it might be a conflict between my video card trying to provide sound. Sure enough, when I went to Device Manager, there was an entry for 'ATI HDMI Audio something', so I disabled it. It hasn't really changed anything either, as it still occurs.

The weird thing is when I open up Everest and go to the CPU page, it stops immediately. :psyduck:

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007

Parachute Underwear posted:

Is there a reason why one of my cores (4th one, specifically) would be at 95-99% for extended periods of time while the system is idle? Every now and then, it'll do that. Resource Monitor says System Interrupts are using all that juice. I tried updating my motherboard network drivers, but that didn't change anything. I also read that it might be a conflict between my video card trying to provide sound. Sure enough, when I went to Device Manager, there was an entry for 'ATI HDMI Audio something', so I disabled it. It hasn't really changed anything either, as it still occurs.

The weird thing is when I open up Everest and go to the CPU page, it stops immediately. :psyduck:

It's mostly like the Defragmenter running in the background. Check the event viewer (Windows Logs->Application) and search for events with the source Defrag.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

FrantzX posted:

It's mostly like the Defragmenter running in the background. Check the event viewer (Windows Logs->Application) and search for events with the source Defrag.

That doesn't seem to be it, as the last instance of it happening is June 26 and the CPU thing happened about an hour ago. Could it be the indexing service?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Has anybody had trouble imaging different model computers from the same manufacturer with Windows 7? Two people here have tried to put a Windows 7 image on a different models and it asks to activate, which fails. They say they are using an OEM copy of 7.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
Has anyone tried the Messenger beta? Doesn't seem to send messages/show you're online to your contacts. There's probably a better place to ask this but I don't know where.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

4 Day Weekend posted:

Has anyone tried the Messenger beta? Doesn't seem to send messages/show you're online to your contacts. There's probably a better place to ask this but I don't know where.

Are you sure you are online? Because for some reason they decided that you can only send messages if you are, at least to the person you want to send the messages to.

For some reason they also removed the option to change my name to whatever the hell I want. I wish they would've kept the Messenger and the Twitter/Facebook stuff separate. Or maybe I am just blind and/or a moron.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
I am online. I can send messages and everythings fine, except people don't get them. Apparently a few people were having this issue, so I'm not sure if there's a fix or something.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
There was a similar discussion to this in the last couple pages but not this specifically: I have a toolbar on my taskbar with a couple of folders full of shortcuts. I want these folders to popup as menus, rather than opening the folders in windows. I know it's possible because I did it before my recent format, but no amount of googling has given me the answer. Does anybody have any clue how to get this to work without installing extra programs or gadgets?

edit: nevermind, I'm retarded. I had toolbar folder set up incorrectly

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 29, 2010

Toothy
Jan 30, 2006

There's treasure everywhere!

the Dealy Lama posted:

How big is the SSD? I had to use RT Seven Lite to shrink a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate in order for it to fit onto my 8 gig SSD.

The SSD is an Intel 40 GB, and detects as such. Windows 7 still won't install. I don't have another DVD drive to swap out, but would that likely be the cause of the error? This problem seems to be pretty common on the googles but nobody seems to have a concrete solution. I'll swap out my RAM and try again.

Solved the problem by putting in my XP disc, performing a long format, and then trying Win7 again. Worked.

Toothy fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 29, 2010

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
can anyone tell me why even though a monitor is set as my main display my apps keep loading on the secondary display by default (which in this case is my tv which is normally turned off... kind of a pain.

edit: nevermind, looks like maybe a game I'm running is pushing them over to the secondary display and they're not resetting to the primary after it's shut down.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 29, 2010

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
So something is taking up 80% of my (4GB) memory:

I know a reboot would fix it, but is there any way to check? resource monitor gives a similar list to the above, it's not any help. I noticed it just after closing Bioshock 2, since it took a while to close, when usually it's instant.

edit: Gone back to 35%...fixed itself. Was like that for ~10 mins or so though.

4 Day Weekend fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 29, 2010

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Before I reinstalled Windows, I had a desktop gadget that displayed how full my hard drives were, how my wifi signal was, and possibly RAM and CPU information even though I already have All CPU Meter. For the life of me, I can't find it on the MS gadget website. Anybody know what I'm talking about.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

4 Day Weekend posted:

I know a reboot would fix it, but is there any way to check? resource monitor gives a similar list to the above, it's not any help. I noticed it just after closing Bioshock 2, since it took a while to close, when usually it's instant.

Get Process Explorer, then hover over that instance of svchost.exe and see which services it has started.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Before I reinstalled Windows, I had a desktop gadget that displayed how full my hard drives were, how my wifi signal was, and possibly RAM and CPU information even though I already have All CPU Meter. For the life of me, I can't find it on the MS gadget website. Anybody know what I'm talking about.

It used to be called the Wireless Network Meter, but it looks like the author finally got some sense and merged this with his other gadget, Wired Network Meter and just called it Network Meter 6.0.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

4 Day Weekend posted:

Two things that can be going on here. The first is that Win7/Vista aggressively caches data, so it really isn't unheard of to see memory usage percentage in the 50-70% range. Also, the default processes list was change so the memory column is now the the Private Working Set for a process, which is only the amount of memory in the process that cannot be kicked over to the page file. To see the total memory usage for a process, you need to add the Working Set (Memory) column.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zorilla posted:

It used to be called the Wireless Network Meter, but it looks like the author finally got some sense and merged this with his other gadget, Wired Network Meter and just called it Network Meter 6.0.

I'm gonna piggyback off of this and ask what's a good gadget for displaying hard drive space and space available on external drives? I used to use a program called "Memory and CPU Observer 2.3 Personal (Beta)" on XP, but being as that program was designed for Windows 98, it doesn't work right at all in 7.

warning
Feb 4, 2004

ZZ Pops is all about hugs and high fives.

4 Day Weekend posted:

Recently released sysinternals tool VMMap is good for things like this.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

fishmech posted:

I'm gonna piggyback off of this and ask what's a good gadget for displaying hard drive space and space available on external drives? I used to use a program called "Memory and CPU Observer 2.3 Personal (Beta)" on XP, but being as that program was designed for Windows 98, it doesn't work right at all in 7.

The trio of Drives Meter, Network Meter and CPU Usage work pretty good.

http://gallery.live.com/author.aspx?a=0655416a-96bf-45df-9876-57dd36972107

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Parachute Underwear posted:

The trio of Drives Meter, Network Meter and CPU Usage work pretty good.

http://gallery.live.com/author.aspx?a=0655416a-96bf-45df-9876-57dd36972107

Ah! Thanks. Works great.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

MMD3 posted:

can anyone tell me why even though a monitor is set as my main display my apps keep loading on the secondary display by default (which in this case is my tv which is normally turned off... kind of a pain.

edit: nevermind, looks like maybe a game I'm running is pushing them over to the secondary display and they're not resetting to the primary after it's shut down.

When I have a game that does that I'll try to hit Win+P to set it to single monitor first and then change it back when I'm done.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

OgNar posted:

When I have a game that does that I'll try to hit Win+P to set it to single monitor first and then change it back when I'm done.

whoa, win+p disables the secondary display??? that's a rad new trick I never knew.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Zorilla posted:

Unfortunately I don't think this is it at all, as it doesn't appear to deal with hard drive space at all. I suspect that since I can't find it, it doesn't exist anymore. It had vertical indicators to show how full each drive is, similar to My Computer, and also showed wifi signal strength below that in a similar but large blue indicator.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
EDIT: Wrong thread - I'll try the tech support thread. Sorry!

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to have a program launch at startup in administrator mode? I am trying to get Eventghost to work, but the only way it will recognize the remote is if it is running in administrator mode. Unfortunately, a shortcut with "run as administrator" checked does not start automatically in the start up menu. Is there another solution besides disabling UAC?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

abagofcheetos posted:

Is there a way to have a program launch at startup in administrator mode? I am trying to get Eventghost to work, but the only way it will recognize the remote is if it is running in administrator mode. Unfortunately, a shortcut with "run as administrator" checked does not start automatically in the start up menu. Is there another solution besides disabling UAC?

Make a Scheduled Task

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

c0burn posted:

Make a Scheduled Task

This still doesn't seem to work. When I do as microsoft.com says and choose "Run whether user is logged in or not" nothing happens at start up, nor if I go into task scheduler and manually choose run, but if I have "run only when user is logged on" checked it still doesn't run when the computer starts, but if you manually choose run it will load properly. I've only gotten it to run properly through task scheduler when run as administrator wasn't checked.

Can I put a task scheduler task in the startup folder? :v:

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

abagofcheetos posted:

This still doesn't seem to work. When I do as microsoft.com says and choose "Run whether user is logged in or not" nothing happens at start up, nor if I go into task scheduler and manually choose run, but if I have "run only when user is logged on" checked it still doesn't run when the computer starts, but if you manually choose run it will load properly. I've only gotten it to run properly through task scheduler when run as administrator wasn't checked.

Can I put a task scheduler task in the startup folder? :v:

:v:

Try following this guide. I've used it before and it does work.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=616

warning
Feb 4, 2004

ZZ Pops is all about hugs and high fives.
You should be able to get it to work with task scheduler.

Alternatively, You can use the application compatibility toolkit to "fix" an application to launch as an admin. I did that on vista to launch fraps on startup.

I believe you create a new fix and alter the RunasInvoker attribute... a quick google shows this guide http://www.vista4beginners.com/Disable-UAC-for-certain-applications

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I ran into problems trying to delete a file, so I rebooted to run CHKDSK. It fixed some problems, but then froze partway through the fourth stage. I tried running it a second time, and had it freeze in the same place. The other odd thing I noticed was that the percentage complete counter froze at 11 or 12% during each step, while the number of files increased steadily.

Any suggestions for alternate disk repair software? Should I be worried about a potentially failing hard drive? This is an NTFS Windows 7 partition on a MacBook Pro, if that's relevant.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Real quick question, probably stupid but I wouldn't know the terms to use in a Google search so I'll ask here.

Is there a way to change power plans "on the fly"? As in, if I unplug my laptop, it'll go to Balanced, and when I plug it back in, it'll switch to High performance? It's not too back manually switching it, but hey, I figured if that's one more thing I can get out of the way in life (It's shaving 0.00025 seconds of my life GOD drat IT) then that'd be neato.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Green Puddin posted:

Real quick question, probably stupid but I wouldn't know the terms to use in a Google search so I'll ask here.

Is there a way to change power plans "on the fly"? As in, if I unplug my laptop, it'll go to Balanced, and when I plug it back in, it'll switch to High performance? It's not too back manually switching it, but hey, I figured if that's one more thing I can get out of the way in life (It's shaving 0.00025 seconds of my life GOD drat IT) then that'd be neato.

Not that I know of, but you could always set the Balanced 'plugged in' settings to mirror the High Performance ones.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Green Puddin posted:

like Sir Unimaginative said, I've just set the on-battery settings of High Performance and Balanced plans to be the on-battery settings from the Power Saver plan.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Oh hey, I didn't even think of doing that. Great idea, thanks guys!

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
On the off-chance you didn't know, a left-click on the power icon in the system tray lets you change profiles without going thru the control panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

c0burn posted:

:v:

Try following this guide. I've used it before and it does work.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=616

This doesn't seem very different from what I tried, yet it worked perfectly. Thanks!