Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Farts Domino posted:

with 90% of 50's rock & roll it's the earlier the better and Elvis is no exception. "Elvis" with the London Calling-styled lettering (I know that's backwards) is an excellent album and I've got a compilation called Elvis 56 that's pretty good too. They were releasing Elvis albums every few months so I really don't have a full knowledge of what's good, but the music from King Creole (his favorite film) was pretty good. His '68 Comeback special had a lot more effort put into it than most of his releases and it shows. You'll probably see Aloha Live via Satellite everywhere but it's pretty Vegas-ey, don't bother unless you find an LP for like a dollar (very likely)

Like any monster pop star, Elvis's appeal is only halfway the music. His showmanship is incredible but he's wasn't consistently better than a lot of other rockabilly artists out there.

Excellent. I'll take your recommendation and try to find his first few. As for the 50's and Rock n' Roll, is there anyone else I should look for? I'm not interested in that sappy malt-shop diner love poo poo, I wanna know what the greasers who rode around on chopped up bikes and in dragsters listened to while they smoked Camels by old gas pumps in the middle of nowhere. Basically I've been listening to a lot of Reverend Horton Heat lately but I wanna know if stuff like that came out of the 50's direct. My contemporary music knowledge starts with the Beatles so basically anything before 1965 is unexplored territory in the form of "here potentially be dragons, dare not tread here."

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Traffic Reporter posted:

I went through this whole thread and I didn't see it, so, where do I start with The Black Keys?

Rubber Factory and Magic Potion. If you like Rubber Factory more, work backwards to Thickfreakness and The Big Come Up, if you like Magic Potion move forward to Attack and Release and Brothers (although I thought Brothers was a HUGE letdown)

Alternatively, if you like a funkier more hip hop angle, you could get Blackroc, which is a hip hop album with Black Keys providing the music

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Handen posted:

Excellent. I'll take your recommendation and try to find his first few. As for the 50's and Rock n' Roll, is there anyone else I should look for? I'm not interested in that sappy malt-shop diner love poo poo, I wanna know what the greasers who rode around on chopped up bikes and in dragsters listened to while they smoked Camels by old gas pumps in the middle of nowhere. Basically I've been listening to a lot of Reverend Horton Heat lately but I wanna know if stuff like that came out of the 50's direct. My contemporary music knowledge starts with the Beatles so basically anything before 1965 is unexplored territory in the form of "here potentially be dragons, dare not tread here."
Awwww man
As far as rockabilly goes I'd go with Johnny Jano, Kip Tyler and his Flips, Bobby Fuller Four, some Wanda Jackson, Ronnie Dawson... Buffalo Bop has a bunch of great compilations like Cool & Crazy. In fact, throughout that period if you can get a hold of compilations like Las Vegas Grind, Whistle Bait or maybe Frolic Diner you'll probably have fun.

50's also meant a ton of great R&B, though that's less 50's motorcylce-riding culture and a lot of it can be malt-shoppy. I'll just throw in there that if you've never listened to a Bo Diddley album he's got just as much of an attitude, albeit a different one, than any rockabilly star.

60's you've got surf and garage. I do a surf rock radio show so unless you really wanna know I'm going to refrain from sperging about it. Link Wray is largely instrumental but definitely has an attitude that makes him a must-listen. They're still making a ton of twisting poo poo all the way through the 60s, but they get better at it. Even though I never did, if you want some of the 60's garage sound most people check out the Nuggets compilations.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
I've been listening to The Plastic Ono Band a lot recently, where do I go next with Yoko Ono's solo stuff?

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
alright, where should I start with R Kelly? I just know the singles

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

Handen posted:

Bo Diddley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdmhAFBnAoE

Bo "motherfucking" Diddley.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Farts Domino posted:

Awwww man
As far as rockabilly goes I'd go with Johnny Jano, Kip Tyler and his Flips, Bobby Fuller Four, some Wanda Jackson, Ronnie Dawson... Buffalo Bop has a bunch of great compilations like Cool & Crazy. In fact, throughout that period if you can get a hold of compilations like Las Vegas Grind, Whistle Bait or maybe Frolic Diner you'll probably have fun.

50's also meant a ton of great R&B, though that's less 50's motorcylce-riding culture and a lot of it can be malt-shoppy. I'll just throw in there that if you've never listened to a Bo Diddley album he's got just as much of an attitude, albeit a different one, than any rockabilly star.

60's you've got surf and garage. I do a surf rock radio show so unless you really wanna know I'm going to refrain from sperging about it. Link Wray is largely instrumental but definitely has an attitude that makes him a must-listen. They're still making a ton of twisting poo poo all the way through the 60s, but they get better at it. Even though I never did, if you want some of the 60's garage sound most people check out the Nuggets compilations.

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely be checking into the rockabilly named you've mentioned and also:

Rubber Biscuit posted:

Bo Diddley.

Bo "motherfucking" Diddley.

My next question might seem odd considering the last few, but where would I start with Psytrance? :catdrugs:

Like, is there an underground top 100 for Psytrance that I can browse to find what I like?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Handen posted:

Like, is there an underground top 100 for Psytrance that I can browse to find what I like?

I think this is listed as Goa, but honestly I'm not sure what the difference is between Goa and Psytrance. It's a good compilation and will probably turn you on to some people to look for and investigate things associated therein.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Handen posted:

As for the 50's and Rock n' Roll, is there anyone else I should look for?

If you're interested in 50s rockabilly Carl Perkins is classic. Fun fact: he wrote and recorded Blue Suede Shoes before Elvis made it a hit.

Oh yeah, and more people need to check out Hasil Adkins. He was a rockabilly/blues one-man-band from Appalachia whose lyrical themes included decapitation, hot dogs and fat chicks. Nowadays he's sort of a musical version of a cult film, but that man had some raw loving talent.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Handen posted:

I have no idea if such a thing exists. If you are trying to delve beyond popular psytrance artists such as Infected Mushroom I would suggest Sesto Sento -Come Together. Obviously if you've never heard Infected Mushroom they have some good stuff, I like Viscious Delicious. Another suggestion would be anything by Gataka. If you really want to gently caress your mind, Shpongle are...interesting. By no means is this list of the best psytrance artists just ones that I believe are good. There is tons of talent in this genre and it's really hard to go wrong.

Also, this seems like a spot where last.fm would REALLY help.

In closing, soomeone recommended me Tender Prey from Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, and I really liked it, where do I go from here?

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

Wolfy posted:

I have no idea if such a thing exists. If you are trying to delve beyond popular psytrance artists such as Infected Mushroom I would suggest Sesto Sento -Come Together. Obviously if you've never heard Infected Mushroom they have some good stuff, I like Viscious Delicious. Another suggestion would be anything by Gataka. If you really want to gently caress your mind, Shpongle are...interesting. By no means is this list of the best psytrance artists just ones that I believe are good. There is tons of talent in this genre and it's really hard to go wrong.

Also, this seems like a spot where last.fm would REALLY help.

In closing, soomeone recommended me Tender Prey from Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, and I really liked it, where do I go from here?

If you liked Tender Prey, I recommend going to the beginning and working forward, starting with From Her To Eternity.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Handen posted:

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely be checking into the rockabilly named you've mentioned and also:

My next question might seem odd considering the last few, but where would I start with Psytrance? :catdrugs:

The definitive first album should be Paul Oakenfold's Goa Mix (sometimes split into two, Goa Mix Silver and Goa Mix Gold). But it'll probably be next to impossible to find from any legitimate outlet. His "Perfecto Presents Another World" two-disc set is a decent substitute.

From there:
Juno Reactor - Beyond the Infinite
Hallucinogen - Twisted
and
Astral Projection - Another World

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Where do I start with Cheap Trick and Creedence Clearwater Revival?

mastapasta
Jun 14, 2008

Om nom nom
Where do I start off with Against Me!? All I know is their new album isn't all that great and lost its punkness.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Tony Jowns posted:

At Budokan and Chronicle, Vol. 1 respectively

BarryMantlesnorks
Nov 14, 2005

mastapasta posted:

Where do I start off with Against Me!? All I know is their new album isn't all that great and lost its punkness.
I like the Acoustic EP they did as well as the Disco Before the Breakdown EP. In terms of full length albums, Reinventing Axl Rose is the best and a good primer.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Tony Jowns posted:

With Cheap Trick, yeah At Budokan is going to be the stock answer since it's essentially a greatest hits live (and also really great). For their studio albums, though, all of their first four albums are varying degrees of awesome (though In Color suffers from horrible production). I'd say Heaven Tonight is probably the best of that lot to go with.

As far as CCR's output, I'd say to start with Green River.

mastapasta
Jun 14, 2008

Om nom nom

BarryMantlesnorks posted:

I like the Acoustic EP they did as well as the Disco Before the Breakdown EP. In terms of full length albums, Reinventing Axl Rose is the best and a good primer.

Thank you very much, I am enjoying it quite a lot.

Burb
Dec 28, 2009
I know they don't have a large number of albums, but where do I start with the Wu-Tang Clan?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Burb posted:

I know they don't have a large number of albums, but where do I start with the Wu-Tang Clan?

Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers), no doubt. From there the members' "solo" records, which usually include others from the clan liberally, are often more worthwhile than subsequent proper Wu-Tang albums. Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, GZA's Liquid Swords and Ghostface's Supreme Clientele would be great places to go next.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Farts Domino posted:

Can you sperg a little about surf rock? I've always been interested in it, but only know songs like Miserlou, Walk Don't Run, and little else.

Burb
Dec 28, 2009

A Violence Gang posted:

Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers), no doubt. From there the members' "solo" records, which usually include others from the clan liberally, are often more worthwhile than subsequent proper Wu-Tang albums. Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, GZA's Liquid Swords and Ghostface's Supreme Clientele would be great places to go next.
Thanks man, I'm enjoying 36 Chambers. I'll look at the solo ones next.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Where do I start with Imogen Heap? Already heard Frou Frou, and want to explore a bit further.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Skilleddk posted:

Where do I start with Imogen Heap? Already heard Frou Frou, and want to explore a bit further.

she only has three albums dog, any of those is probably a good starting point

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

Iraff posted:

she only has three albums dog, any of those is probably a good starting point

Can we please cut down on these? Just because an artist has a small discography, doesn't mean there isn't a huge gap in quality between each album, and answering like this is of absolutely no help to the person who asked.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Rubber Biscuit posted:

Can we please cut down on these? Just because an artist has a small discography, doesn't mean there isn't a huge gap in quality between each album, and answering like this is of absolutely no help to the person who asked.

fair enough. Imogen Heap is pop music so it's not as if any of the albums are particularly difficult listens. Speak for Yourself is probably the best by a very small margin, followed by iMegaphone, followed by the altogether bland Ellipse.

To be honest, none of them are as good as Details, and her solo albums are nigh indistinguishable from one another, so there's not a definitive starting point. If you really like Speak for Yourself then you'll likely enjoy the rest, and if you don't, then you won't likely find much of value in them.

Iraff fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 4, 2010

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Looking for a starting point with The Doors. I get the feeling their probably one of those bands where you know a bunch of their stuff without realising it but the only songs I really know of theirs is "Riders on the Storm" and "Break on Through" which I love, "Light My Fire" which is good too and The End which I'm less keen on. I see there is a greatest hits on iTunes would that be worth while or should I go for proper albums?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Personally, I think The Doors is one of those bands where you can absolutely start with the greatest hits. If you like the stuff you hear, then go for the albums. There are definitely deep album gems in their catalog, but the 2-Disc greatest hits collection does a great job in capturing all their "eras."

If you're starting with the albums, you can't go wrong with just starting at the beginning and moving forward. Take care around The Soft Parade, because aside from the title track it's mostly an abysmal record. However, their last two LP's following that are golden.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

What Prince album should I go for next?

Ones I already like: Around The World In A Day, Controversy, Dirty Mind, 1999, Purple Rain, Lotus Flower.

I posted this a while ago, and I got a reply recommending Sign Of The Times, which I really like, also LoveSexy got added to this list. So besides the above, and the two new ones, which ones should I get next?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

I posted this a while ago, and I got a reply recommending Sign Of The Times, which I really like, also LoveSexy got added to this list. So besides the above, and the two new ones, which ones should I get next?

Maybe the Love Symbol Album or Parade? To be honest I think you're deep enough into the discog to safely say that you "like" Prince, so at this point you might just be better off experimenting for yourself.

Cosmic Horror
Feb 2, 2009

DON'T BRING A GUN TO A SHELBY FIGHT MOTHER FUCKER, THAT'S RIGHT YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT

hatelull posted:

Take care around The Soft Parade, because aside from the title track it's mostly an abysmal record. However, their last two LP's following that are golden.

Maybe I should relisten to The Soft Parade because I remember liking it. Might be the lens of nostalgia, though.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

I'm going to say the Love Symbol album. It included the hit My Name Is Prince, which he released after he changed his name, which has always amused me.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Cosmic Horror posted:

Maybe I should relisten to The Soft Parade because I remember liking it. Might be the lens of nostalgia, though.

It sounds crazy over-indulgent and "OMFG WE NEED MORE HORNS" studio wankery to me. The title track is indulgent to be sure, but at least Morrison sells it. The popular single from that record, "Touch Me" is probably my least favorite Doors song ever.

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
Where would I start with Sonic Youth? I'm listening to Daydream Nation at the moment, and I'm still a little iffy. I haven't given it proper attention though.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

The Viper posted:

Where would I start with Sonic Youth? I'm listening to Daydream Nation at the moment, and I'm still a little iffy. I haven't given it proper attention though.

I think most would say you started correctly with Daydream Nation. After that, I think there are multiple ways to go.

I'm fond of referring people to 2002(?)'s Murray Street as the second stop, especially if you want something "cleaner" sounding but still retaining the long, spacy song structure of some of the Daydream Nation songs. "Rain on Tin" is about as close to someone recapturing Television's "Marquee Moon" as I've heard, and really I don't know of any SY album that has a stronger opening three songs than Murray Street ("Karen Revisited," the fourth song, is one I love, but it will divide most fans). I think if you enjoyed "Candle" from Daydream, this is a good second choice. If you enjoy Murray Street, Sonic Nurse is fairly similar (and I think there is a decent debate as to which is a better album), and don't be afraid to go with Sonic Nurse if you can't find Murray Street.

If you liked the harder, more erratic songs, its hard not to say stepping back to Sister. However, considering you are on the fence about Daydream, I don't know if Sister is the proper next step. However, Dirty, despite being a very divisive album in their catalogue, might be another good place to go. It was their "grunge" album (according to critics), and has many shorter, harder rock songs. I think "Silver Rocket" or "Hey Joni" might be the best examples of what you will here on Dirty, although they are by no means perfect examples of Dirty. If you want to sample Dirty, I'd say "100%" or "Sugar Cane" are two of the better pick up and hear songs, while "Wish Fulfillment" is my favorite from that album.

A couple of my friends got into SY over the last couple years from their 2006(?) album Rather Ripped. Best description I can give is that it is like Daydream Nation made into shorter pop songs (at least as far as SY does pop songs). "Incinerate" was pretty big off that album, and would be a good sample if you want to hear something - "Do You Believe in Rapture" is also probably a decent song to sample. Rather Ripped also has "Pink Steam" which is my favorite SY song of the decade.

The truth is there are many places to go with SY - if you said your favorite songs off Daydream, it might give some help. Also, I think most people will say that SY albums grow on you, and take some time to get into, so if you are a little iffy, it might just take a little more time.

Hope that helps.

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
Wow...good answer. Thanks!

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

I've been listening to The Plastic Ono Band a lot recently, where do I go next with Yoko Ono's solo stuff?

The Fly.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

The Viper posted:

I agree with Voodoofly for the most part, but I'll add in that if you want creepy, EVOL is excellent. And leave Rather Ripped alone, if you really need a stripped down album Jet Set Thrash No Star will do but I'd also consider NOT BOTHERING WITH SY and go back to Japandroids or something. Rather Ripped is the beginning of their end.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Farts Domino posted:

I agree with Voodoofly for the most part, but I'll add in that if you want creepy, EVOL is excellent. And leave Rather Ripped alone, if you really need a stripped down album Jet Set Thrash No Star will do but I'd also consider NOT BOTHERING WITH SY and go back to Japandroids or something. Rather Ripped is the beginning of their end.

Yeah, I'm not a huge Rather Ripped fan (absent Pink Steam, that song is perfect), but I've known a couple of people who used it as a gateway into SY. However, I will admit, I gained a ton of respect for both Rather Ripped and Eternal after seeing SY play a majority of those songs live - especially Eternal, which they played about 80% when I saw earlier this year. Something about those songs live just clicked.

I still don't really listen to those albums, but I respect them more.

I still say go with Murray Street after Daydream.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Ooookay I agree actually, the Rather Ripped songs didn't sound nearly as bad live. But as a gateway to Sonic Youth I feel like it's misinformation and shortsells the band.

And as for Murray Street, that was my first Sonic Youth album, I'm with you all the way on that.

And I'll throw in a reminder that if you take PFork seriously when they rate an album 0.0 you're an idiot. NYC Ghosts & Flowers isn't their best moment, but it's still a worthwhile listen