Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Linux Nazi posted:

I have reservations about some of Logitech and Microsoft's design choices for their gaming mice, but at least I can count on them still functioning 2 years after I buy them.
Anything in particular you'd like Logitech to do differently with their gaming mice?

This question is for everybody, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
The only thing that I ever disliked about the Logi gaming mice (having owned both G5 colors, and 518) was the "gamery" look. Now that they're making classy looking mice such as the MX Perf, I'm in love.

apheleon
Sep 6, 2007
sofresh

Goo posted:

Anything in particular you'd like Logitech to do differently with their gaming mice?

They've discontinued production of their traditional Logitech optical wheel/mx300/g1/g3 mouse in favor of largish right-handed gaming mice.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Goo posted:

Personal prefs?

I hate tilting scroll wheels. It ruined the G5 but is more tolerable on the G500, in that I don't accidentally tilt it constantly. It is still pointless as far as I am concerned, especially on gaming mice. This is the one thing Razer and I agree on.

I would also like more tactile feedback on the scroll wheel. Go find whoever designed the wheel for the original boomslang and hire that person. That wheel audibly *click*ed when you scrolled it, it was fantastic.

Otherwise both the G9x and the G500 are dreamy. The G500 is a really great progression from the MX518, and even though I thought the thumb buttons were a little strange when I first saw em, they feel fantastic and aren't awkward at all.

edit: Semi-unrelated Goo Logitech gaming peripheral question: Are you aware of any plans for a successor to the wonderful G13?

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 29, 2010

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Linux Nazi posted:

razer stuff

I've had a deathadder for almost two years and it's fine :/. drat good mouse so far.

Dacke
Jun 29, 2006

Goo posted:

I love my wireless MX620, just want a little more range with the receiver. Anything beyond 2-3 feet and it stutters and occasionally loses connection. I've tried two different ones, same thing. I'm forced to plug it into the usb port on my keyboard that's next to the mousepad. No big deal though.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Hamburger Test posted:

Is every single click registered as a double click? That happened with mine. I eventually bought an MX518, and left the G7 sitting on a shelf - I've used it a couple of times since without the problem resurfacing :iiam:

Not always, but it's reasonably common. Maybe one out of ten or twenty.

I'd fix it but I don't have a good soldering iron around, only an ancient behemoth dating back from when chips were the size of small horses.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Goo posted:

Use better quality switches that don't wear out so fast. I've been using mostly Logitech mice since 80286 days, but in recent years it seems they never last more than a couple months before one or more buttons stops working. That's why I was asking about free spinning scrollwheels on non-Logitech mice earlier; that was a feature I really loved about my VX Nano, but at this point my confidence in the brand is just shot.

Linux Nazi posted:

Personal prefs?

I hate tilting scroll wheels. It ruined the G5 but is more tolerable on the G500, in that I don't accidentally tilt it constantly.

You know you can just disable side-scrolling if it bugs you that much. Also how the hell do you manage to accidentally tilt the scroll wheel often enough for it to be a major annoyance? Are you trying to operate the mouse with your feet? Most people use hands for that.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Sam Hall posted:

You know you can just disable side-scrolling if it bugs you that much. Also how the hell do you manage to accidentally tilt the scroll wheel often enough for it to be a major annoyance? Are you trying to operate the mouse with your feet? Most people use hands for that.

The first G5 had a smooth rounded wheel, it was very easy to to have it slant to one side when you pressed down. The problem was that when you tilted it, it canceled (or didn't register) the downward press. To actually press the wheel as a button required a fair bit or force on the G5 as well, whereas the tilting was very easy. The thing had almost a wobbling quality to it.

The newer G5 supposedly fixed this somehow, and the G9/G500 both have a flat surface and more sensible tension to the wheel that makes it a lot easier to control.

Ultimately though, I find tilt wheels to be completely pointless. Especially in gaming. Even as a person that likes all sorts of buttons to program and things to press, I just never understood the appeal.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K

GoldenNugget posted:

I've had a deathadder for almost two years and it's fine :/. drat good mouse so far.

Yeah, I've had my Mamba for ~15 months and it's still like new. Win some, lose some.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Goo posted:

You've heard this before, but: Wingman Gaming Mouse with scrollwheel, thumbbuttons and optical/laser sensor. Also name it after me :v:

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

giZm posted:

You've heard this before, but: Wingman Gaming Mouse with scrollwheel, thumbbuttons and optical/laser sensor. Also name it after me :v:

If this thing is the classic 3-button blue mouse then I can also get behind this request.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

giZm posted:

I'm still trying. :(

You know I tell fond stories about your dedication to the idea of a WGM2 here at the office, right?

Linux Nazi - I can't answer your G13 update question because there's no such product listed on our website currently. If you have suggestions for improvements to the G13, PM me (or throw them in the keyboard megathread, I guess) and I'll pass them on to the appropriate product manager for use in any relevant projects.

Goo fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 29, 2010

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Goo posted:

Fix the scroll wheel on my G5 :colbert:

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Linux Nazi posted:

If this thing is the classic 3-button blue mouse then I can also get behind this request.
My first disciple! Welcome, brother!

Goo posted:

I'm still trying. :(
Try harder! Slam fists if you have to!

Goo posted:

You know I tell fond stories about your dedication to the idea of a WGM2 here at the office, right?
It's not I alone, it's a whole generation of players the WGM served well, but now that generation needs an update to rule the leagues, ladders and tournaments again with updated technology! You can do it Goo, you can make it happen, you can become the savior of this, of our, YOUR generation!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So my R.A.T. 7 ships tomorrow, il up follow with a trip report.

Dacke
Jun 29, 2006

Kadler posted:

So my R.A.T. 7 ships tomorrow, il up follow with a trip report.

Yes, please do. I really want to hear from someone here who has one, I'm just holding out for the RAT 9.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Hey goons, I am trying to find a gaming mouse for myself, the only problem is I'm 6'3 and have pretty large hands. Are there any suggestions for a slightly larger mouse?

I was interested in the G500, but after reading a few reviews they said it may pose problems for larger hands. So, any suggestions?

apheleon
Sep 6, 2007
sofresh
The Wingman was great! The Creative Fatal1ty mouse took some inspiration from the Wingman, also with the addition of a scroll wheel and a thumb button to bring it up to date a little. Too bad their sensor wasn't that great and the general build quality was pretty low.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Dacke posted:

Yes, please do. I really want to hear from someone here who has one, I'm just holding out for the RAT 9.

Rat 7 review:

Quality A-

This was the one aspect I feared for thinking back to every madkatz product I have ever owned. I was shocked to see the level of detail and quality of the components used, On the other hand the software is kinda buggy and took a reinstall to see the mouse so I could edit the DPI settings.

Hard to talk about the other features as its so customized to me, its taking some getting used to as I had my G5 for 2 years but im liking this mouse more and more every time i use it.

what987
Jul 3, 2010

err posted:

Hey goons, I am trying to find a gaming mouse for myself, the only problem is I'm 6'3 and have pretty large hands. Are there any suggestions for a slightly larger mouse?

I was interested in the G500, but after reading a few reviews they said it may pose problems for larger hands. So, any suggestions?

I have very large hands and the G500 was the only high-DPI mouse (other than a Razr) that fit my hands well. Basically, you need to go to Best Buy and try out all of the display to see how they feel in your hand. Then buy the mouse on Newegg for a 30% discount.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Kadler posted:

Rat 7 review:

Quality A-

Would you mind elaborating a bit more on the mouse? I'm curious what you can do with the additional buttons. I assume this is reliant on the aforementioned buggy proprietary software. Given the other features of the mouse, I'm inclined to think this is somewhat unfortunate, but acceptable.

Also can you click the mousewheel for mouse button 3?

I don't know about other mice, but I was helping a friend troubleshoot his Razer Mamba and let me tell you that included software was not terribly helpful or reliable.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 4, 2010

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Goo posted:

I <3 my Performance MX, but the mini USB cord is a bitch to plug in. (Please license MagSafe from Apple. :D ) I was a fan of the docky thing for the older MX revolution and my MX700, but they did quit working well after a while, so I understand why it was changed. It would also be nice to have a smaller power brick for the USB cable. (copy Apple's iPhone charger please).

I miss the thumbwheel from the Revolution, but the scroll wheel on the Performance is better, and the small receiver is total win. Hardware free scroll button rocks. Tracking on glass is totally sweet and the entire reason why I bought mine, because I have a glass desk.

nyoron
Dec 15, 2009
Logitech G5. Has seriously been putting up with my poo poo for the last... 5 years?

Edit: Best mouse I have ever used, too. Resolution controls are great for when mouse sensitivity changes in games.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Kadler posted:

Rat 7 review:

Quality A-

This was the one aspect I feared for thinking back to every madkatz product I have ever owned. I was shocked to see the level of detail and quality of the components used, On the other hand the software is kinda buggy and took a reinstall to see the mouse so I could edit the DPI settings.

Hard to talk about the other features as its so customized to me, its taking some getting used to as I had my G5 for 2 years but im liking this mouse more and more every time i use it.

Does the mouse wheel tilt? It doesn't look like it does, and I'm hoping it doesn't.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Teledahn posted:

Also can you click the mousewheel for mouse button 3?

Oh please please please let this be the case.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
No the mousewheel does not tilt like a logitech, it feels rather sturdy and fabricated.

Yes you can click for mouse 3.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Maximum PC has a review of the Rat 7 out. Looks like a good buy.
They don't mention the software at all though.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I just paid $70ish for a Performance MX, and drat, I love it. Long time G5/g500 user, this thing feels so much more sturdy.

edit: It's also the first mouse I've had that actually synced with Logitech Control Center (osx) and has all of its buttons working "normally" in osx.. with no settings changes.

vty fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 12, 2010

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The only difference between the RAT 7 and 9 is that the 9 is wireless, right?

I've used a G5 for the last several years and it's my favorite mouse, but there are definitely a few things I'd change about it. It could use another thumb button in addition to the one it has, and the wheel could be significantly improved

I'd love to try out a RAT 7. Do all the custom shaping options really feel effective in being able to adjust the mouse perfectly to your hand, or do they seem like slightly more of a gimmick?

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Just switched to a Logitech G500 from a Revolution MX. Definite improvement, much closer to the MX-500 I used for the better part of a decade. Removing the dual mode wheel mode change to a separate button instead of middle click was an unexpected but pleasant change and the texturized rubber finish grip is very nice. Back/Forward thumb buttons are in the perfect spot as well, just like my old MX-500.

Roat Cack
Nov 15, 2006
Drink up and come back
Yes - you probably should.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009
Just got a rat 7 myself a couple days ago.

Overall I think I'm rather pleased with the mouse, its just a little wierd going from a high-arched Microsoft mouse after 8 years to this, which feels a little shallow in the cup of my palm (Though after a few days use Ive figured out how to reshape the mouse to feel more natural).

The software took a little bit of playing with but Ive sofar found it not too bad. A little simple in some ways, but it does what it advertises. Its got macro programming in it as well but I haven't played with that much.

Mousewheel is solid, buttons are responsive and have a distinct click so you know when you hit it. The sniper button is smooth and the more I get used to how to use it, the more a must have feature I think of it as. The DPI toggle is handy as well for swapping if you need to be twitchy in a shooter, or smooth down your motions for long range shots (where the sniper button is especially handy). I think there's a way you can use the macro button to toggle between different presets on the dpi toggle, but I haven't played with that much yet. Thumb buttons work nicely for things like grenades or backpack kits or whatever in games, and in browsers serve as forward/back buttons (You can edit that in windows of course, but that's the default behavior).

The swappable parts are.. well, I swapped a couple of them out back and forth about a half dozen times each, never quite sure which I liked more. Some of them look so similar its hard to tell what the difference is until its on and you're feeling it in your hand. There's a distinct difference in how the mouse holds depending on if you're using one of the no-slip parts or not (and not just in the no-slip part either, it changes the shape and bulk of the mouse ever so slightly as to make a difference for me). I'm still tweaking the thing, but the more I use it the more I lock down what shape I like. There are a few parts I wish I could angle ever so slighty differently but that could be my brain still getting used to it after 8 years of a different mouse.

My only real complaint is that the side wheel (the one you're supposed to be able to use your thumb on) is completely un-adjustable, so if you move the button pad out any at all, you almost have to move your thumb under the palm of your hand to turn it, a bit of an awkward stretch. Granted, I'm still getting used to the mouse so I might be able to adapt to that in time.

Its unusual to be sure but the more I use it and get used to adjusting my grip, the more I like it (Echoing Kadler. Its -wierd- at first but once you start adapting/reshaping it to what you want it goes from "Im not sure about this" to actively enjoying it). For a Madcatz product, its very sturdily built.

AutoArgus fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 15, 2010

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I think this thread might be the best place to ask this question--

Can anyone recommend me a sturdy, reliable wireless mouse for use on my laptop? I'm not made of money, but I'm also not shy about spending for quality if it's going to last years. Thanks.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
I had a bad experience with a Logitech mouse several years back where I purchased a mouse for around $60 (don't remember the model, one of the Gs I think), and it just didn't work (cursor stuttered about and didn't move smoothly..) I returned it and assumed Logitech just made a bad product... This thread has me reconsidering. I may have just gotten one with a crap laser. I wish I had known about how they treat defective product claims.

My situation is a bit strange, so hopefully someone has a solution. I'm wanting a wireless mouse that has a bit of range. I plan on using it for a media box so I want it to work from across the room. What are my options here? One idea was just to use a wireless 360 controller and map the stick to the cursor, but that's a bit unwieldy. I would rather have a proper mouse. I'm liking what I'm seeing with this performance MX, what's the reliable range? I won't be gaming from far away or anything, so if there's a little lag, it wont be the end of the world.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

err posted:

I have medium-ish hands and I felt the g500 was too small imo

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Soul Glo posted:

I think this thread might be the best place to ask this question--

Can anyone recommend me a sturdy, reliable wireless mouse for use on my laptop? I'm not made of money, but I'm also not shy about spending for quality if it's going to last years. Thanks.

There's a difference between wireless and Bluetooth, which do you mean? For example the Performance MX is expensive but awesome and has a really small USB receiver that doesn't stick out much on the side of your laptop, but there isn't a Bluetooth version of it. :argh:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

AutoArgus posted:

Just got a rat 7 myself a couple days ago.

Overall I think I'm rather pleased with the mouse, its just a little wierd going from a high-arched Microsoft mouse after 8 years to this, which feels a little shallow in the cup of my palm (Though after a few days use Ive figured out how to reshape the mouse to feel more natural).

The software took a little bit of playing with but Ive sofar found it not too bad. A little simple in some ways, but it does what it advertises. Its got macro programming in it as well but I haven't played with that much.

Mousewheel is solid, buttons are responsive and have a distinct click so you know when you hit it. The sniper button is smooth and the more I get used to how to use it, the more a must have feature I think of it as. The DPI toggle is handy as well for swapping if you need to be twitchy in a shooter, or smooth down your motions for long range shots (where the sniper button is especially handy). I think there's a way you can use the macro button to toggle between different presets on the dpi toggle, but I haven't played with that much yet. Thumb buttons work nicely for things like grenades or backpack kits or whatever in games, and in browsers serve as forward/back buttons (You can edit that in windows of course, but that's the default behavior).

The swappable parts are.. well, I swapped a couple of them out back and forth about a half dozen times each, never quite sure which I liked more. Some of them look so similar its hard to tell what the difference is until its on and you're feeling it in your hand. There's a distinct difference in how the mouse holds depending on if you're using one of the no-slip parts or not (and not just in the no-slip part either, it changes the shape and bulk of the mouse ever so slightly as to make a difference for me). I'm still tweaking the thing, but the more I use it the more I lock down what shape I like. There are a few parts I wish I could angle ever so slighty differently but that could be my brain still getting used to it after 8 years of a different mouse.

My only real complaint is that the side wheel (the one you're supposed to be able to use your thumb on) is completely un-adjustable, so if you move the button pad out any at all, you almost have to move your thumb under the palm of your hand to turn it, a bit of an awkward stretch. Granted, I'm still getting used to the mouse so I might be able to adapt to that in time.

Its unusual to be sure but the more I use it and get used to adjusting my grip, the more I like it (Echoing Kadler. Its -wierd- at first but once you start adapting/reshaping it to what you want it goes from "Im not sure about this" to actively enjoying it). For a Madcatz product, its very sturdily built.
The thumb wheel is adjustable, see the screw from the top? you loosen it and change its angle.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

chimz posted:

There's a difference between wireless and Bluetooth, which do you mean? For example the Performance MX is expensive but awesome and has a really small USB receiver that doesn't stick out much on the side of your laptop, but there isn't a Bluetooth version of it. :argh:

Eh, that's a little more expensive than I was hoping for. And the mouse itself looks a little unwieldy. There any reason why I shouldn't just buy the $40 Logitech at Wal-Mart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

Kadler posted:

The thumb wheel is adjustable, see the screw from the top? you loosen it and change its angle.

Are you talking about the screw that sits just below the thumb wheel when viewed from above? I'm able to change the angle of the thumb buttons with that, but that wheel has sofar remained immobile otherwise. Some hidden screw I'm missing?