Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

JudicialRestraints posted:

I defend against these. I just got put on notice that we are going to be sued for not providing a serial rapist with special shoes.

He's already filed 3 motions for summary judgment.

I love my job?

Just wait until you get one from a defendant whose record covers multiple states...

"Defendant then argues that he is the victim of a nation wide conspiracy..."

crim law owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

The two dominant legal traditions in much of the world, common law and civil law, emerged in medieval times

I'm not a lawyer but I was a history student, and calling the Corpus Iuris Civilis mediaeval seems a bit iffy to me, especially since it was formally codifying previous Roman practice. :)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Vexatious litigants own.

I had someone in small claims suing uh, Random House over Bill Clinton's autobiography being plagiarized (wtf?!!?!) for well over the small claims limit. Eventually, the judge figured out that he was suing in small claims because he had been barred from suing in civil court (hoping that the defendant would instead request the transfer to civil court). And it was a copyright claim too, which would have been removed to federal court, only he had been barred from filing in every federal district court on the eastern seaboard pretty much.

So small claims court puts out a 60 page opinion as to why this guy (a) deserves a fine and (b) should be barred from filing anywhere in the country.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

feedmegin posted:

I'm not a lawyer but I was a history student, and calling the Corpus Iuris Civilis mediaeval seems a bit iffy to me, especially since it was formally codifying previous Roman practice. :)

I'll make sure to yell at him for that.

quote:

Just wait until you get one from a defendant whose record covers multiple states...

"Defendant then argues that he is the victim of a nation wide conspiracy..."

crim law owns

We had one of these recently!

quote:

Mr. Kecala age 55 appeals the decision of Superintendent Chris Wyatt, Chief Firearms Officer of Ontario dated September 4, 2008 refusing to issue a firearms licence to him. Mr. Kecala appeared on his own behalf...
Briefly summarizing the police contacts, the Vancouver Police charge alleges that on January 7, 2002, Mr. Kecala left two telephone messages on his wife’s voicemail at work threatening to break every bone in her body and that he was waiting for her at home with a knife as she had been trying to poison him in his food for over two years...
Mr. Kecala reported to Toronto police that a woman approached him in a public park and told him “were gonna use the machine guns on you and if you talk to the police, we have people that execute the police.” He explained to the police that there is a powerful conspiracy against him by an ex-employer, that his house was bugged and people are listening to his conversations...
Mr. Kecala called the police to his workplace to report that his former employer had organized thousands of people to irritate him by coughing or scratching their heads whenever they are near him. Mr. Kecala confirmed to the Firearms Officer and the court that thousands of people are controlled through a website which may be related to that employer, Andrew Kordos, purportedly to prevent competition for his business...He said that half the people in Toronto were part of the conspiracy to cough when he is nearby and would not let the police enter the residence as “the people were listening.”
Further, the police were part of the conspiracy as the held their hands a certain way while speaking to him.

There's a lot more entertainment in the full judgment. He didn't get his firearm license

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

deathdrive83 posted:

Angry pro se prisoners write the best briefs, especially when they are long and hand-written.
I'm working on a family case right now where the pro se prisoner daddy has filed a massive ream of motions, pleadings, objections, and basically anything else he can envision that will annoy all involved.

They are all surprisingly literate and well-written, despite his childlike handwriting. I wonder if prisoners have templates they just copy, or what.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Soothing Vapors posted:

I wonder if prisoners have templates they just copy, or what.

I think that is dependent on the facility, but yes it is common from what I've heard.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
My kingdom to work for an attorney with some loving balls.

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

CaptainScraps posted:

Hey Sailor ;-*

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

CaptainScraps posted:

Go solo.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

CaptainScraps posted:

What do you have to offer my balls, Scraps?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

builds character posted:

Go solo.

I dream of it. I've still got another year of loving law school to go though. There's a legal mal firm of three attorneys in town that have been named super lawyers and are all old as dirt. I want that practice.

Stunt Rock posted:

What do you have to offer my balls, Scraps?

Hustle, Coach.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 29, 2010

akrob
Sep 5, 2009

by T. Finn
I Don't Want To Be A Soldier Lyrics
Artist(Band):John Lennon

Well, I don't wanna be a lawyer mama, I don't wanna lie

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

CaptainScraps posted:

he refuses to let me file a motion to get the goddamned thing interpreted because "It might piss the judge off."

I'm just gonna toss this out there: veteran attorneys practicing in Texas probably have a better read on "things that will probably piss the formerly small town judge off and make him perfunctorily deny your motions for the next two decades out of spite" than you do.

It may not be this particular motion, but there are plenty of things that seem like the right thing to do in a legal practice that are not things you would actually want to do IRL.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Adar posted:

I'm just gonna toss this out there: veteran attorneys practicing in Texas probably have a better read on "things that will probably piss the formerly small town judge off and make him perfunctorily deny your motions for the next two decades out of spite" than you do.

It may not be this particular motion, but there are plenty of things that seem like the right thing to do in a legal practice that are not things you would actually want to do IRL.

There is a time honored tradition around these parts. You get to bitch about your superiors and be convinced they are morons. Just as they did as young associates.

It's the circle of life.

:mufasa:

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Attention Fordham students: We have stolen your dean.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Adar posted:

Uh, what are you doing? Stop this.

I'm waiting for Scraps to finally give us an elated post about how he went behind his boss' back and filed his awesome MSJ because he knows its the right thing to do and how he's writing this post while currently kicking back smoking a cigar getting his dick sucked and waiting for his boss to come in and say that they won the case and that he's sorry and he's giving Scraps a bonus on top of his bonus and apologizes for not understanding Scraps' awesome case strategy and that there's a place open in the firm for Scraps as soon as he graduates from LS with no roadblocks between Scraps and equity partner.

And then? Then I can't wait for the post that comes two hours after that. It will be delicious.

So stop messing with my stories, man.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Green Crayons posted:

I'm waiting for Scraps to finally give us an elated post about how he went behind his boss' back and filed his awesome MSJ because he knows its the right thing to do and how he's writing this post while currently kicking back smoking a cigar getting his dick sucked and waiting for his boss to come in and say that they won the case and that he's sorry and he's giving Scraps a bonus on top of his bonus and apologizes for not understanding Scraps' awesome case strategy and that there's a place open in the firm for Scraps as soon as he graduates from LS with no roadblocks between Scraps and equity partner.

And then? Then I can't wait for the post that comes two hours after that. It will be delicious.

You laugh but when Scraps inevitably gets elected as President Of The Law you'll be sorry

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Green Crayons posted:

:buddy:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

quote:

1 I do not entirely understand Justice Stevens’ renaming of the Due Process Clause. What we call it, of course, does not change what the Clause says, but shorthand should not obscure what it says. Accepting for argument’s sake the shift in emphasis—from avoiding certain deprivations without that “process” which is “due,” to avoiding the deprivations themselves—the Clause applies not just to deprivations of “liberty,” but also to deprivations of “life” and even “property.”

8 Justice Stevens also asserts that his approach is “more faithful to this Nation’s constitutional history” and to “the values and commitments of the American people, as they stand today,” post, at 54. But what he asserts to be the proof of this is that his approach aligns (no surprise) with those cases he approves (and dubs “canonical,” ibid.). Cases he disfavors are discarded as “hardly bind[ing]” “excesses,” post, at 12, or less “enduring,” post, at 17, n. 16. Not proven. Moreover, whatever relevance Justice Stevens ascribes to current “values and commitments of the American people” (and that is unclear, see post, at 48–49, n. 47), it is hard to see how it shows fidelity to them that he disapproves a different subset of old cases than the Court does.

Justice Stevens ’ approach, on the other hand, deprives the people of that power, since whatever the Constitution and laws may say, the list of protected rights will be whatever courts wish it to be. After all, he notes, the people have been wrong before, post , at 55, and courts may conclude they are wrong in the future. Justice Stevens abhors a system in which “majorities or powerful interest groups always get their way,” post , at 56, but replaces it with a system in which unelected and life-tenured judges always get their way. That such usurpation is effected unabashedly, see post , at 53—with “the judge’s cards … laid on the table,” ibid. —makes it even worse. In a vibrant democracy, usurpation should have to be accomplished in the dark. It is Justice Stevens’ approach, not the Court’s, that puts democracy in peril.

there are 14 pages of this poo poo

Scalia is going to have so much free time on his hands next term

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008
We're all still cool with Jonathan Lee Riches, though, right? Because I love that guy.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Here is a guy who's not getting hired.

quote:

Scumbag attorney with 5+ yrs experience is moving to southeastern Idaho from out-of-state, and seeks employment. Prior civil litig experience in business, real estate, and construction. Strong written and oral communication skills, strong interpersonal skills. No, I’m not really a scumbag, quite the opposite, but that got your attention, didn’t it? If it did not, you must be asleep. Wake up and hire me!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

quote:

In May 2009, Riches filed for an injunction against the Guinness Book of World Records, seeking to stop them from naming him as the most litigious individual in the history of mankind.[20]

ahahaha

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

feedmegin posted:

Hey remember when civil law was readopted as canonical law during the middle ages? Remember how canonical law eventually became adopted as civil law (rather than just covering religious prohibitions and heresy trials)? Remember how this process took a couple centuries? Remember how Roman Civil Law was not used for civil matters until this point with people instead relying on such time tested judicial decision-making apparatus as "trial by fire" and "trial by combat?"

No you don't because you're a terrible history student and would make a terrible lawyer.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Adar posted:

Yeah, I get you.

I've got to rage somewhere because my current assignment on the same case is trying to get blood from a stone. I've got a stack of 60 appellate cases in the past 20 years where other attorneys tried to do what my boss wants me to do and they got smacked the gently caress down. Suddenly attempting to treble your damages off a bullshit, frivolous pleading seems a lot more likely to piss a judge off than something actually needed to decide the case.

Tesoro
Nov 18, 2004
ohmygod
Hey guys,

Not sure if anyone else from the PTO has mentioned this. The USPTO has resumed hiring patent examiners for ECE and Biomed positions. I'm not sure of the scale of the hiring operations, but I remember a bunch of you were waiting on this. Check out USAJobs if you're eligible (just need a bachelors or equivalent in one of the above).

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

JudicialRestraints posted:

Remember how Roman Civil Law was not used for civil matters until this point with people instead relying on such time tested judicial decision-making apparatus as "trial by fire" and "trial by combat?"

I'll have you know that such time tested judicial procedures are still in place in this very nation. :911:

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Lykourgos posted:

I'll have you know that such time tested judicial procedures are still in place in this very nation. :911:

And in our very city!

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
After days of writing and rewriting and ultimately aborting a dozen [articling] cover letters for government ministries and firms that don't really do what I'm truly after, I'm thinking of only applying to the handful of places that really fit me. How terrible a plan is this ~*~in this economy~*~ ? Should I just submit some incredibly basic letter that doesn't really mention why I'm applying to the Ministry of Transportation (for example) or how I'm qualified? Am I just wasting both mine and the hiring committee's time?

I kinda brought this up earlier with regard to an admiralty firm, but now I'm a) stumped as to how to spin my narrow experience into more diverse fields, and b) whether I even want to work outside of the criminal or regulatory environment, and c) regardless of whether I want to work there or not, should apply just to get more potential opportunities.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

You laugh but when Scraps inevitably gets elected as President Of The Law you'll be sorry
I don't know about that. I'm a pretty legitimate fan of Scraps' posts ITT. Whether he hits the jackpot (as much as one can, I suppose - President of The Law, indeed) or crashes and burns, I'll definitely be reading The Scraps Saga between my bouts of drunken fits, wondering if this is the post where he bursts a blood vessel in an eye from his excessive and voluminous aggravation.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.
Scraps I've found the key is to keep a tally sheet with the various federal rules that your judge explicitly violates. Whenever one rule gets to 10 you get to buy yourself a bottle of booze.

It's the system I've been working on with my supervising attorneys case in front of a magistrate judge. 403 and 608b went over the limit during the same hearing. I get two bottles!

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008
Apparently firms only behave honorably when it fucks me over.

Place I interviewed at decided to hire a guy whose offer they had previously pulled back in 09. I know the kid, and I know I'm a significantly better candidate on all the objective factors (he's a nice guy and all but gently caress him, I need a job). Hell, my contact at the firm who passed along my resume thought this former summer was a terrible fuckwit. And now I remain jobless and he starts in a week.

And JudicialRestraints, how the gently caress does one "explicitly violate" Rule 403? You can disagree with his views on 403 issues, but it's pretty drat hard for the judge to exceed his discretion there.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!
I'm convinced that God just sits up there and laughs at me.

I spent a year and a half in St. Louis - Not a single interview. Last week I broke up with my boyfriend and moved back home this past Saturday. Of course, today a law firm in St. Louis wants to interview me.

I'll still go interview with them but dammit... the timing.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

HooKars posted:

I broke up with my boyfriend

:siren: NO JOBS, DIE ALONE :siren:

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Mookie posted:

:siren: NO JOBS, DIE ALONE :siren:

Sooooo... what are you doing Friday night?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Green Crayons posted:

I don't know about that. I'm a pretty legitimate fan of Scraps' posts ITT. Whether he hits the jackpot (as much as one can, I suppose - President of The Law, indeed) or crashes and burns, I'll definitely be reading The Scraps Saga between my bouts of drunken fits, wondering if this is the post where he bursts a blood vessel in an eye from his excessive and voluminous aggravation.

Tomorrow I'm going to construct something I call the "the Sysiphean Pile", a pile of paper on my desk that's composed entirely of things I've been told to write and not ruled upon. With exhibits, I'm estimating it to be roughly 4 feet tall.

I want you to keep in mind that I undergo all this poo poo and get this angry at a job that pays $15/hour. I could have made more straight out of undergrad. I could make more money as a waiter.

DROP OUT NOW.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 30, 2010

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

HooKars posted:

Sooooo... what are you doing Friday night?

Billing hours.

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh
Hey y'all what you been up to for the past 400 posts?

Grades-finally-came-in report: First term I briefed every case and attended every supplemental TA session and studied extensively before exams. Second term I didn't brief anything, skipped a bunch of the reading entirely, and outlined each class in the two days before the exam. Grades uniformly went up half a letter. Lawschool.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

OptimistPrime posted:

Apparently firms only behave honorably when it fucks me over.

Place I interviewed at decided to hire a guy whose offer they had previously pulled back in 09. I know the kid, and I know I'm a significantly better candidate on all the objective factors (he's a nice guy and all but gently caress him, I need a job). Hell, my contact at the firm who passed along my resume thought this former summer was a terrible fuckwit. And now I remain jobless and he starts in a week.

And JudicialRestraints, how the gently caress does one "explicitly violate" Rule 403? You can disagree with his views on 403 issues, but it's pretty drat hard for the judge to exceed his discretion there.

If I recall correctly the judge excluded some evidence using 403. The Seventh Circuit has a series of rulings which explicitly allow evidence if it speaks to impaired or faulty memory of a witness no matter how prejudicial it is.

I guess that isn't actually breaking the rule so much as the mandated interpretation of the rules but it's close enough for me.

(Yes we have briefed the judge on this and talked to him about it. In pretrial he admitted we were right but now that we're in trial he appears to have spontaneously changed his mind).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

Tomorrow I'm going to construct something I call the "the Sysiphean Pile", a pile of paper on my desk that's composed entirely of things I've been told to write and not ruled upon. With exhibits, I'm estimating it to be roughly 4 feet tall.

I want you to keep in mind that I undergo all this poo poo and get this angry at a job that pays $15/hour. I could have made more straight out of undergrad. I could make more money as a waiter.

DROP OUT NOW.

I applied for several call center jobs, hovering around the $12/hr mark. unshockingly i have not heard back

tomorrow i get to beg my parents for rent money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Mr. Fictitious posted:

Hey y'all what you been up to for the past 400 posts?

Grades-finally-came-in report: First term I briefed every case and attended every supplemental TA session and studied extensively before exams. Second term I didn't brief anything, skipped a bunch of the reading entirely, and outlined each class in the two days before the exam. Grades uniformly went up half a letter. Lawschool.

Went up a mark here to an A- average. Though for me, I outlined 2-4 days before the exam, mostly cutting and pasting outlines from previous years and integrating them with my notes. Good thing my second semester counted for about twice my first.

I still stand by the opinion that a large degree of these grades are arbitrary (a +/- mark).

7StoryFall fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 30, 2010