Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

AxeManiac posted:

I feel dirty, I just spent more money today on Steam then I have the entire time at GOG. Well almost. Some drat good sales on steam right now.

I played Siberia, very good, logical games. I'm playing Gabriel Knight and can't seem to play them without using a walk-through. I'm not seeing the leaps in logic, makes me worried about the 3rd one when I have to start gluing cat hair to my face.

I really try to stay true to GOG as my platform for purchasing old rear end (edit: or new rear end but underappreciated) games, but I don't want to play the second Freedom Force game without having played the first :(

Also, I was under the impression that Gabriel Knight games are basically total guide-dang-it games. Ah, that classic adventure game magic.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Agreed posted:

Also, I was under the impression that Gabriel Knight games are basically total guide-dang-it games. Ah, that classic adventure game magic.
That's not true at all, they're from after the 'call out hint line' era ended at Sierra. I finished all 3 without using a guide, when they were released. Beast Within is just easy other than a hunt-the-hotspot section, the other two games have a couple hard puzzles.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Threep posted:

That's not true at all, they're from after the 'call out hint line' era ended at Sierra. I finished all 3 without using a guide, when they were released. Beast Within is just easy other than a hunt-the-hotspot section, the other two games have a couple hard puzzles.

I guess, I'm used to the monkey island type games more. I like when I mess up and it's a joke, not a hassle because I forgot to grab that hunk of clay in the start of the game and now have to back track around trying to figure out what to do with it.

The game owns however, loving it. But I feel I would have been better off watching a let's play of it. I mainly just want the story now.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Ugh... Syberia for cheap. Played the first one, and only recall getting screwed up on a puzzle about mixing a drink, but I'm not sure...

Both for $10? Could be awesome... though I'm aiming to spend $40+ on Steam already by the 4th.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

AxeManiac posted:

I guess, I'm used to the monkey island type games more. I like when I mess up and it's a joke, not a hassle because I forgot to grab that hunk of clay in the start of the game and now have to back track around trying to figure out what to do with it.

The game owns however, loving it. But I feel I would have been better off watching a let's play of it. I mainly just want the story now.
I'm right with you there, Sierra still didn't learn good puzzle design after they stopped randomly killing players. I love the Gabriel Knight series, Conquest of the Longbow, Quest for Glory etc but it sure as hell isn't from well designed puzzles. It's satisfying when you figure them out though.

Cat Moustaches aside, GK2 had the point where you couldn't continue until you clicked on every trigger spot in Neuschwanstein to hear Grace read up a museum blurb, and Longbow had the annoying "click the hand correctly to turn into a tree" puzzle.

Meanwhile, Monkey Island 2 is still an excellent game in 2010.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I realize it's not entirely appropriate since, uh, competing service and all, but my only experience with Steam is the free Portal giveaway. I really, really want to play the Freedom Force games. I don't know, it seems like a total fluke that the first one is available digitally at all.

What would you do, get the Steam deal or buy the first one on Steam and GOG the second one? What're the odds it'll make its way out? I know that company isn't exactly renowned for its generosity (so to speak) in releasing catalog titles... But I know I want to support GOG, so I'm not going to pick up the pack, and I guess if this is the only way to actually play the games in question I'll do it.

GOG's no-DRM, easy as pie philosophy is just so friendly and good to the customer. I hope that buying and playing the first one via Steam isn't going to be a problem.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly, I'm all for loyalty to GOG since they're an awesome service, but it really comes down to picking whichever one says "Better Value" to you. The huge Steam sale right now means it beats GOG on a LOT of prices, but there's always that DRM issue, even if the Steam DRM isn't particularly intrusive as DRM goes. Personally, I bought both games off of Steam before they ever announced them on GOG and they run fine for me, so from a technical standpoint they're functionally identical.

It really just comes down to whether or not the DRM is a meaningful sacrifice to you or not. If you don't care, Steam is cheaper. If you do, then GOG is just a couple of bucks more. Even if you go with Steam it's not like GOG is going to go under because you didn't buy that one game from them.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Jesus Christ. Steam isn't going to rape your face. Relax a bit, will you? I understand wanting to support no-DRM publishers, but Steam's DRM is still pretty low on the malevolence scale. If you want a game and it's a good price on Steam, there's no loving reason not to open an account and use Steam.

My god, what the hell do you think will happen to you?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Overwined posted:

Jesus Christ. Steam isn't going to rape your face. Relax a bit, will you? I understand wanting to support no-DRM publishers, but Steam's DRM is still pretty low on the malevolence scale. If you want a game and it's a good price on Steam, there's no loving reason not to open an account and use Steam.

well I figured the apocalypse would kick off the moment I clicked pur

I'm not loving retarded, gents, I'm just a bit conflicted. I'd rather use GOG as a service because I much prefer their business model and their services. I don't know if there's much of a chance of the first game coming to GOG, though, so I may be stuck buying the Steam bundle regardless. It just doesn't provide the same level of service and while Steam's DRM isn't bad, it's still DRM and I don't like it if I don't have to have it.

Do the Steam versions come with manuals and other goodies?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Overwined posted:

The price difference always boils down to a couple of bucks. I prefer GOG's business plan of "You bought it, the file is yours forever" over Steam which requires me to use their files, system, and service regardless. GOG also provides fantastic customer support and practically bend over backwards to make sure your products work whereas Steam says "3rd party is in charge of all issues, we're just a distributor."

I love Steam (and predict I'll spend about $100 by July 4th) but when it comes down to it I'm a customer who puts ownership over price. A one to two dollar discount is a piddling amount to pay for better service and actual ownership of the file.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Agreed posted:

I realize it's not entirely appropriate since, uh, competing service and all, but my only experience with Steam is the free Portal giveaway. I really, really want to play the Freedom Force games. I don't know, it seems like a total fluke that the first one is available digitally at all.

What would you do, get the Steam deal or buy the first one on Steam and GOG the second one? What're the odds it'll make its way out? I know that company isn't exactly renowned for its generosity (so to speak) in releasing catalog titles... But I know I want to support GOG, so I'm not going to pick up the pack, and I guess if this is the only way to actually play the games in question I'll do it.

GOG's no-DRM, easy as pie philosophy is just so friendly and good to the customer. I hope that buying and playing the first one via Steam isn't going to be a problem.

If it's ease of use, Steam is easier to use and play games with than GOG is, even. That's why people like it so much. If it's a moral issue of "supporting the little guy" or whatever, without Valve and Steam, there would be no PC gaming industry anymore (or at least, it would be in far worse condition. So I have no problem throwing money at them as they're the last pillar of support in my preferred hobby.

Steam version of Freedom Force (and most games there) come with a pdf manual. You don't get any wallpapers or artwork, but meh, that's not a dealbreaker for me. I also haven't had any compatibility issues running it in Win7 x64.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Looking at the current sales there's about a 100% chance that I'll be buying not just the Freedom Force pack but also a bunch of other poo poo. Space Rangers 1 and 2 for $7? :aaaaa:

I don't know how Steam's service could be any easier to use than GOG's "you buy it, you own it;" I have heard that it can be difficult to mod Steam games sometimes, stuff like that... But the prices are just nuts right now.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Agreed posted:

Looking at the current sales there's about a 100% chance that I'll be buying not just the Freedom Force pack but also a bunch of other poo poo. Space Rangers 1 and 2 for $7? :aaaaa:

I don't know how Steam's service could be any easier to use than GOG's "you buy it, you own it;" I have heard that it can be difficult to mod Steam games sometimes, stuff like that... But the prices are just nuts right now.

Most games don't have a problem with it, really. Oblivion and Fallout had slight mod issues, but Steam support released custom exes for the script extenders to work with it.

With steam, you just click install, it automatically downloads, and then you play. It's so easy. GOG is a great service, don't get me wrong, but you still have to download a zip, extract it, then install the game, whereas Steam is just one or two clicks. Both are pretty easy in reality, though.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I hear you. Just purchased the Freedom Pack, first time purchase from Steam, and it is kicking me back an error saying that the Steam servers are too busy to handle it. So that's not exactly a great introduction to the service. Guess I'll try again tomorrow!

Edit: Or "in a few minutes," like it says. Working alright now. I guess with all these sales even their massive downstream is getting hammered.

One question to you guys who are more familiar with Steam - so, with GOG, I can take my installers anywhere and play the game on any computer. Is there a steam equivalent to that? Can I install Steam on my wife's laptop and have access to my games to install and play on it? I understand Steam does have its DRM, so I'm not expecting the same kind of total freedom GOG provides (and if GOG gets the first game, there's every chance I'll throw them $13 or whatever for both of them just to have that freedom that I'm used to and prefer), but I don't really know what to expect. Probably not even a real issue - how often am I going to be taking my games with me, I guess - but just wondering about the options available.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 26, 2010

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If it's ease of use, Steam is easier to use and play games with than GOG is, even. That's why people like it so much. If it's a moral issue of "supporting the little guy" or whatever, without Valve and Steam, there would be no PC gaming industry anymore (or at least, it would be in far worse condition. So I have no problem throwing money at them as they're the last pillar of support in my preferred hobby.

Actually, one nifty thing about GOG is you can install games to a USB key or external drive and most of them will run perfectly from there. You can literally carry around your game library in your pocket!

Now I can understand why most people wouldn't really feel the need to do this, but technically you could install say, Jagged Alliance 2 on a 2GB stick and play it in the computer labs at your school during downtime rather than lugging around a laptop.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Agreed posted:

I hear you. Just purchased the Freedom Pack, first time purchase from Steam, and it is kicking me back an error saying that the Steam servers are too busy to handle it. So that's not exactly a great introduction to the service. Guess I'll try again tomorrow!

Edit: Or "in a few minutes," like it says. Working alright now. I guess with all these sales even their massive downstream is getting hammered.

One question to you guys who are more familiar with Steam - so, with GOG, I can take my installers anywhere and play the game on any computer. Is there a steam equivalent to that? Can I install Steam on my wife's laptop and have access to my games to install and play on it? I understand Steam does have its DRM, so I'm not expecting the same kind of total freedom GOG provides (and if GOG gets the first game, there's every chance I'll throw them $13 or whatever for both of them just to have that freedom that I'm used to and prefer), but I don't really know what to expect. Probably not even a real issue - how often am I going to be taking my games with me, I guess - but just wondering about the options available.

You can use your account from anywhere you want. Their own DRM is extremely lenient, the main issue with Steam is that they allow third party DRM as well. With really recent games, you sometimes see this where the publishers get thick-headed and refuse to remove Securom activation from the Steam versions.

Of course, on older games this is a non-issue. You can install steam games on a dozen computers and it wont matter. If you go into the game properties, there's a button to allow you to back them up to DVD so you don't have to redownload them a bunch, even (you'll still need to launch through steam)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Actually, one nifty thing about GOG is you can install games to a USB key or external drive and most of them will run perfectly from there. You can literally carry around your game library in your pocket!

Now I can understand why most people wouldn't really feel the need to do this, but technically you could install say, Jagged Alliance 2 on a 2GB stick and play it in the computer labs at your school during downtime rather than lugging around a laptop.

Jagged Alliance 2 on a flash drive, you say?

You also can't do this with Steam:

(That's all my GOG games installable from DVD :smug:)

That said, I do have quite a few games on Steam as well, but I'd buy them on GOG if I could.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jun 26, 2010

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
doctorfrog you are a man of class.

Goddamn, Steam has Gothic 2 Gold for $5 but Gothic 1 is $10 on GOG. I've always wanted to get into that series, but it looks like I'm just gonna skip #1.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Why is your whiskey called "Penis Creek?" That sounds... bad.

Anyway, I support Agreed's side of the argument in this dilemma (plus old games on Steam don't usually work); that said, Steam wins on prices, and honestly, if you've got the choice to pay $3 for both FF games or whatever, or $6 a piece, why not just spend the $3? It doesn't matter if Steam fucks you over later at that price, it was just $3, and you can always rebuy them on GOG later on.

I basically only use Steam to buy games under $10, and get everything over that price at retail.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Yeah, I love GOG, but you gotta go with whoever gives you the best price and options. Don't support corporate communism, make them fight for your money.

I got Aliens vs Predator off steam for 1.75 - that's fricken insane. I wish GOG would introduce a lower price point, or bundle 2-3 older games for the 5.99 price point.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

I installed the HD mod for the GOG version of Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and when I right click anywhere the description box pops up for a split second and then goes away. Anyone else have this problem? I never played the game long enough to get by without the context descriptions :(

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

AxeManiac posted:

Yeah, I love GOG, but you gotta go with whoever gives you the best price and options. Don't support corporate communism, make them fight for your money.

I got Aliens vs Predator off steam for 1.75 - that's fricken insane. I wish GOG would introduce a lower price point, or bundle 2-3 older games for the 5.99 price point.

Technically, they do bundle some games like that, like Master of Orion 1 and 2, and the Lords of the Realm games.

Edit: Also Tropico.

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
anyone know a good way to setup a profile for my X52 for FS2?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

doctorfrog posted:

Jagged Alliance 2 on a flash drive, you say?

You also can't do this with Steam:

(That's all my GOG games installable from DVD :smug:)

That said, I do have quite a few games on Steam as well, but I'd buy them on GOG if I could.

Well, it's not the same thing, but you can make (encrypted) backup files from steam games that will let you reinstall games without redownloading them.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
For those who've played Arcanum: what level am I supposed to be go into the Schuyler and Sons basement? I got there at level 3 and got absolutely mauled by zombies, I've since got to level 5 or 6 but its still not even a contest, and I can't recruit the dwarf in front because he says I'm "too green".

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Periodiko posted:

For those who've played Arcanum: what level am I supposed to be go into the Schuyler and Sons basement?

You can do it pretty much as soon as you reach Tarant without bothering to level up more than necessary if you use turn-based mode (you're using turn-based mode right?) and just make sure you only fight one zombie at a time. I guess you could also just run through in real-time mode if you wanted to.

The real question is, what character build do you have? It's been a while since I played Aracanum but I'm pretty sure zombies resist anything not magical.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The Journeyman Project 2: Buried in Time is now on GOG for $5.99.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Blodskur posted:

The Journeyman Project 2: Buried in Time is now on GOG for $5.99.

This is one of those games you buy as a kid, thinking it's going to be awesome based on the box art alone, only to be disappointed with a mediocre adventure game filled with lovely FMV.

tamriilin
Dec 29, 2008

House was on this page when he got that annoying "I'm such a genius" look.
loving love GoG.com. Bought UT2K4 yesterday and it downloaded quickly, installed quickly, and has no CD key or CD check, and I can still play online.

This is awesome.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
arg why would they have Journeyman 2 without the first game?

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

I had a dream that I bought The Neverhood off of GoG and I was playing it.

Then I woke up. :(

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
Can you jump into Journeyman 2 without having played the first one?

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

BigJoe posted:

I had a dream that I bought The Neverhood off of GoG and I was playing it.

Then I woke up. :(

I have this dream every day, brah. :smith::hf::smith:

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Ansob. posted:

You can do it pretty much as soon as you reach Tarant without bothering to level up more than necessary if you use turn-based mode (you're using turn-based mode right?) and just make sure you only fight one zombie at a time. I guess you could also just run through in real-time mode if you wanted to.

The real question is, what character build do you have? It's been a while since I played Aracanum but I'm pretty sure zombies resist anything not magical.

I have a persuade/firearms high-CHA and INT character with Extreme Personality, and Virgil.

I tried to fight one zombie at a time, but when I go down there and shoot at a zombie or whatever, inevitably I get attacked by all 5 or 6 in the room. I don't have anyone with magical attacks.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you're having trouble take the train to Ashbury and recruit Dog, he'll demolish the zombies (he can one-shot most of them and can attack like 5 times in a turn).

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

SkellingTon Loc posted:

I believe there's a major plot reveal involving a character in Journeyman 1, so you might be lost if you haven't played it. But either way, I don't recommend buying this game unless you like convoluted puzzles and death in your adventure games.

Periodiko posted:

I have a persuade/firearms high-CHA and INT character with Extreme Personality, and Virgil.

I tried to fight one zombie at a time, but when I go down there and shoot at a zombie or whatever, inevitably I get attacked by all 5 or 6 in the room. I don't have anyone with magical attacks.

Are you talking about the store in Tarant that you investigate? If so, make sure you pick up Magnus, who's a bit of a better fighter than Virgil at least. He also levels in the blacksmith school so you can make Balanced Swords and whatnot later on.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
The Journeyman Project games are seriously some of my all-time favorites that I still pull back out and play sometimes, so I've got to chime in here with how awesome it is that GOG picked up Buried in Time.

HVD posted:

arg why would they have Journeyman 2 without the first game?

The first Journeyman game was released on Windows 3.1, and was literally coded by a handful of guys in a garage, so it probably is pretty difficult getting it to run on modern 64-bit OSs.

SkellingTon Loc posted:

Yes. The game has a bit of a "Here's what happened in the first game" summary in a fake newscast you find near the start of the game, but it isn't necessary. Really all you need to know is:
*Your character works for the Temporal Security Agency
*In the first game some crazy scientist sent a bunch of crazy robots back in time to change history
*You kicked their asses, and thus became Mr. Hero

Even if they did somehow manage to get the first game onto GOG, the sequels are massively better. The first one was one of the first CD adventure games (it actually came out before Myst), and hasn't aged terribly well.

Seriously highly recommend this one to anyone sitting on the fence. It's got a great story, an awesome soundtrack, and has one of the best characters (Arthur) that I've seen in a video game.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

macnbc posted:

The Journeyman Project games are seriously some of my all-time favorites that I still pull back out and play sometimes, so I've got to chime in here with how awesome it is that GOG picked up Buried in Time.

The first Journeyman game was released on Windows 3.1, and was literally coded by a handful of guys in a garage, so it probably is pretty difficult getting it to run on modern 64-bit OSs.

Yes. The game has a bit of a "Here's what happened in the first game" summary in a fake newscast you find near the start of the game, but it isn't necessary. Really all you need to know is:
*Your character works for the Temporal Security Agency
*In the first game some crazy scientist sent a bunch of crazy robots back in time to change history
*You kicked their asses, and thus became Mr. Hero

Even if they did somehow manage to get the first game onto GOG, the sequels are massively better. The first one was one of the first CD adventure games (it actually came out before Myst), and hasn't aged terribly well.

Seriously highly recommend this one to anyone sitting on the fence. It's got a great story, an awesome soundtrack, and has one of the best characters (Arthur) that I've seen in a video game.

The third game was one of my favourite games as a kid. I really hope it comes out soon

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Looks like they are responding to the Steam Summer sale. How? By giving out free games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was wondering if they were going to do anything to respond to it - with the summer sale, Steam is beating GoG on prices with a lot of games, something they normally don't do.

I love their little passive-aggressive "David vs. Goliath" story too. You can just hear the writer going "Goddamn those loving rich steam bastards and their goddamn sales!"