Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

Not sure what would cause mine to be broken but they should be cheap enough even if warranty doesn't cover them. Hey since you're here, what's the trick to getting the center console armrest cushion removed? I posted about it some pages back, got as far as removing two T20 screws but it didn't come off.

I had a look in my on-line VW repair manual and it doesn't specify any procedure at all. I'm sure I'll have a GTI in next week and I'll take a closer look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
I just checked and the missing piece from that plastic seat clamp is down there. I couldn't fish it out and it's probably making some noise so I'd like to get it out - should I try to remove the seats somehow and look for it or just ask the dealer to do it when I go in to get a replacement piece?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Hey gsr, can you check the parts list and tell me how much a new GLI emblem for the front of my car is? I tried googling but couldn't find the right part. My last one is somewhere in Kansas after the grill hit my windshield at 90mph ><

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

Hey gsr, can you check the parts list and tell me how much a new GLI emblem for the front of my car is? I tried googling but couldn't find the right part. My last one is somewhere in Kansas after the grill hit my windshield at 90mph ><

I'll have to let you know on Monday - I can't access my parts catalogue from home.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I called the dealer near me and they said they had to order it. 35 bucks :(

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Dealer got the broken piece of that plastic clip out but the new clip had to be ordered and will take a week to get here for some reason. Clip is $3 and quoted installation is $130 - how difficult is it to do it myself? I just put the clip in and snap the seat in place, right?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Autism Sundae posted:

Dealer got the broken piece of that plastic clip out but the new clip had to be ordered and will take a week to get here for some reason. Clip is $3 and quoted installation is $130 - how difficult is it to do it myself? I just put the clip in and snap the seat in place, right?

At that price, what do you have to lose trying it yourself? -$127?

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

I called the dealer near me and they said they had to order it. 35 bucks :(

Yeah, I figured it's be pricey. Let me see what I can get it for.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

Thats exactly how you install the clips. Usually the hardest part is getting the old, broken clips out. Since the dealership already did it for you, all you have to do is press the clips squarely into the rectangular holes and press the seats back into the clips.

EDIT: Warranty won't cover the repair? Buggers.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Yeah, but they got the piece out which is pretty cool. Installing the clip shouldn't be an issue.

The overhead dome rattle though is still there (except not as loud), I drove for a bit with the dome assembly taken out and there's definitely something else up there that's making noise. Can't figure out what it is though, everything that I can see up there feels pretty solid... I tried to take the other, larger part of the overhead console out but couldn't figure out how to do it (seems to be a theme for me). my199gsr, can you think of anything else up there that could be banging around? It's closer to to driver's side, but I can't see anything there besides wiring and that seems pretty secure.

Oh and the TSB fix for leaking rear window washer didn't do poo poo apparently, it's still leaking whenever I take a corner. :doh:

Autism Monday fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 3, 2010

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

Yeah, but they got the piece out which is pretty cool. Installing the clip shouldn't be an issue.

The overhead dome rattle though is still there (except not as loud), I drove for a bit with the dome assembly taken out and there's definitely something else up there that's making noise. Can't figure out what it is though, everything that I can see up there feels pretty solid... I tried to take the other, larger part of the overhead console out but couldn't figure out how to do it (seems to be a theme for me). my199gsr, can you think of anything else up there that could be banging around? It's closer to to driver's side, but I can't see anything there besides wiring and that seems pretty secure.

Oh and the TSB fix for leaking rear window washer didn't do poo poo apparently, it's still leaking whenever I take a corner. :doh:

There's not much else up there that can rattle and is also easy to reach. The wire ribbon that goes to the visor/reading lights and the dome assembly runs from the right mirror to the dome light to the left mirror and then directly over the drivers head to the rear dome/reading light but it's taped to the headliner and VERY difficult to access. There are also 4 plastic honeycomb sound-deadeners that run over the driver and passenger's heads to the rear. They're glued to the headliner but they rest against some rubberized material that's bonded to steel of the roof. There are 4 installation snaps along the front edge of the headliner (they hold the headliner to the roof while it's bolted in during manufacturing) but they're usually pretty tight and not prone to rattling. With the dome light out you should be able to remove the bracket that it mounts to by removing 2 small Philips or Torx screws near the front of the hole where the dome light goes. With that out you may be able to see a little more and find your rattle. Can you reproduce the noise by tapping on the dome light or the surrounding area?

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

You know, I think it's the driver's sun visor that's rattling. Don't know why I didn't think of it before, but I rotated it over to the window and then drove around, and sure enough the noise seems totally gone from the center console (but I could hear the visor going tttttttt in my left ear). I don't know what exactly can rattle in it, but it's probably the flimsy mirror cover.

You're right about all the other stuff, it's not easy to reach and pretty secure, and when I was moving stuff around I couldn't find anything that would make the same noise.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

This isn't really a question but more of a comment since this seems to be the new VW general discussion thread. I came to the UK a few days ago on a visit, and Avis rented us a new 2010 Golf BlueMotion. Why don't they sell this in the US? This car is excellent and gets approximately 1 trillion miles per gallon (rated at 74.3 mpg for combined cycle in Imperial gallons, or about 61.8 mpg in US gallons), but for everything but balls-out driving seems every bit as good as my GTI. All the torque is available from 1500 RPM on and the clutch action seems a lot smoother and less jumpy than in the GTI. If this engine had been available when I bought my current car, it would have definitely made it a much more difficult decision.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

chutwig posted:

This isn't really a question but more of a comment since this seems to be the new VW general discussion thread. I came to the UK a few days ago on a visit, and Avis rented us a new 2010 Golf BlueMotion. Why don't they sell this in the US? This car is excellent and gets approximately 1 trillion miles per gallon (rated at 74.3 mpg for combined cycle in Imperial gallons, or about 61.8 mpg in US gallons), but for everything but balls-out driving seems every bit as good as my GTI. All the torque is available from 1500 RPM on and the clutch action seems a lot smoother and less jumpy than in the GTI. If this engine had been available when I bought my current car, it would have definitely made it a much more difficult decision.

VW corporate is really, really picky about what vehicles come to the North American market. I would guess that the reason we don't offer any of the performance-oriented diesel hatches is that they would cannibalize the sales of the GTI - which is also the reason we don't get the Scirocco. The other problem is that VW is still very much a niche brand on this continent. The typical figure we're given is that 20% of V.A.G vehicle sales come from North America and the rest from the European markets. Because of this VW has traditionally been reluctant to expand their engine and model options. The last time anyone tried it was bringing the Phaeton to North America and rumor is that the executive that spearheaded that move was fired for it.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Volkswagen is a household name in Europe (small cars there are even called Golf-class if I'm not mistaken). Volkswagen in North America is a quirky niche "budget" car for people who want a German car but can't afford a BMW or Audi. So they can easily experiment with configurations and engines in Europe since they're like Honda or Toyota here in the States and people will just eat it up.

I think Phaeton failed worldwide though.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

my1999gsr posted:

VW corporate is really, really picky about what vehicles come to the North American market. I would guess that the reason we don't offer any of the performance-oriented diesel hatches is that they would cannibalize the sales of the GTI - which is also the reason we don't get the Scirocco. The other problem is that VW is still very much a niche brand on this continent. The typical figure we're given is that 20% of V.A.G vehicle sales come from North America and the rest from the European markets. Because of this VW has traditionally been reluctant to expand their engine and model options. The last time anyone tried it was bringing the Phaeton to North America and rumor is that the executive that spearheaded that move was fired for it.

Maybe my perspective is a little skewed because I live in an area (in the US) where a lot of people drive VWs, Saabs, and Volvos. I googled a bit and found an article claiming VW was considering bringing the Polo BlueMotion to the States. It's hard to imagine that VW wouldn't be able to find buyers for a car that gets 75 mpg. It also seems to me that there's such a paucity of good diesel options in the US still that VW could fill that vacuum by bringing some more of their European engine options over before any other manufacturer can try to get a foothold there, but maybe they feel like they need to win more marketshare with what US drivers consider conventional options first.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

chutwig posted:

Maybe my perspective is a little skewed because I live in an area (in the US) where a lot of people drive VWs, Saabs, and Volvos. I googled a bit and found an article claiming VW was considering bringing the Polo BlueMotion to the States. It's hard to imagine that VW wouldn't be able to find buyers for a car that gets 75 mpg. It also seems to me that there's such a paucity of good diesel options in the US still that VW could fill that vacuum by bringing some more of their European engine options over before any other manufacturer can try to get a foothold there, but maybe they feel like they need to win more marketshare with what US drivers consider conventional options first.

they already bring their #1 diesel option, the 2.0 tdi. that engine goes in everything from the golf to the audi a6 avant over here, it's a great little engine. the only thing you could get was maybe the 1.4 in the states, but that would really require releasing the polo in the US, because a bluemotion golf would be savaged for being "dangerously slow"

Neon Machete
Dec 30, 2006
yes
Wow, I think I've had like 4 problems arise since this thread first opened. Glad it's here!

So now I have a weird clunk/rattle/grinding type noise coming from the front passenger side wheel. I can't really hear it when I'm going straight at highway speeds, but I can going slow over rough road, around turns, and over speed bumps. I'm guessing it's a suspension issue - any common replacements in this area? What should I look for when I get it up on jacks? It's a 2002 A6 quattro.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
They need to bring the GTD over here. The reason the phaeton failed was that no one wants a 90,000 dollar VW.

The bigger problem is that Americans see diesel in any form as dirty and slow. Blame GM for that.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

chutwig posted:

It's hard to imagine that VW wouldn't be able to find buyers for a car that gets 75 mpg.

It's not that they wouldn't find buyers, they're not convinced if they can find enough buyers to justify the expense of going through the whole process of bringing the cars over here.

America and Europe also have different transportation needs, and not many people here in the States want a small car. We can argue whether people actually need SUVs and all that crap, but the general lifestyle and infrastructure in the US drives people towards larger cars. In Europe it can be prohibitively expensive to own a huge V8 SUV or truck.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Autism Sundae posted:

It's not that they wouldn't find buyers, they're not convinced if they can find enough buyers to justify the expense of going through the whole process of bringing the cars over here.

America and Europe also have different transportation needs, and not many people here in the States want a small car. We can argue whether people actually need SUVs and all that crap, but the general lifestyle and infrastructure in the US drives people towards larger cars. In Europe it can be prohibitively expensive to own a huge V8 SUV or truck.

I feel like the "different transportation needs" thing is kind of a canard; probably 90%+ of people in the US could do just as well with a smaller vehicle. There are surely a lot of people out there with an Explorer or Suburban who have probably never used it to actually do something it can do that something like a Golf or Mondeo wagon couldn't do. I don't deny that long-distance travel is more prevalent in the US, or that rural users have different needs from urban users, but then again, most of the world have survived with Hiluxes and Transits without issue for decades.

The US seems to be warming up to smaller, more fuel-efficient cars, even if the process seems glacial. I doubt Ford would have brought the Fiesta over largely unchanged from Europe if they thought it wasn't going to sell. I occasionally see a Chrysler 300 or a minivan, and today I saw an old Caprice on the road. No idea why anyone would import that over to England. :psyduck:

Anyway, enough derailing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

chutwig fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 6, 2010

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Neon Machete posted:

Wow, I think I've had like 4 problems arise since this thread first opened. Glad it's here!

So now I have a weird clunk/rattle/grinding type noise coming from the front passenger side wheel. I can't really hear it when I'm going straight at highway speeds, but I can going slow over rough road, around turns, and over speed bumps. I'm guessing it's a suspension issue - any common replacements in this area? What should I look for when I get it up on jacks? It's a 2002 A6 quattro.

Look at your upper control arm joints where they attach to the steering knuckle - they're notorious for complaints like yours. With the car off the ground try rocking the passenger side wheel from side to side - there should be no play at all.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
odd question, is there a way to display the current gear in a manual car on the MFD+?

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

chutwig posted:

I feel like the "different transportation needs" thing is kind of a canard; probably 90%+ of people in the US could do just as well with a smaller vehicle.

There's a huge difference between "could do just as well" and "will actually do it".

Anyway, should I bring the car back to have the rear washer looked at? It's leaking even more after the TSB "fix". :I

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Autism Sundae posted:

There's a huge difference between "could do just as well" and "will actually do it".

Anyway, should I bring the car back to have the rear washer looked at? It's leaking even more after the TSB "fix". :I

Part of the problem is also people like myself that only have 1 car. My GLI is almost too small sometimes, especially now that I have a house to deal with. Whenever I make the 1100 mile trek home to visit my parents for Christmas, my poor car is jam packed with poo poo. 2 cats, presents, clothes, food (i drive straight through). This is why my next car will be a TDI wagon :)

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Not exactly the right place for this question but I'm looking at possibly getting a edit(I'm dumb):mkv GTI. Is there anything that I should be looking for when I go to check one out? I know they generally do pretty well in magazine drive tests but what do you all think of them?

vains fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 8, 2010

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Well, mine rattles a lot (or at least did). It's also quick and fun to drive and looks awesome. I'm not sure what you mean as far as things to look for, are you asking which options to get?

my1999gsr, do you guys use lithium grease to lube doors/hinges/locks and other stuff or something else VW-approved? Is lithium grease ok to use? I've heard some people say it's too thick and can ruin certain things.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Veins McGee posted:

Not exactly the right place for this question but I'm looking at possibly getting a GTI from the newest generation. Is there anything that I should be looking for when I go to check one out? I know they generally do pretty well in magazine drive tests but what do you all think of them?

The chassis is pretty solid and the 2L turbo is a fun engine. I think Autism Sundae can answer your questions better - he's a GTI owner and lives with it every day.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Autism Sundae posted:

Well, mine rattles a lot (or at least did). It's also quick and fun to drive and looks awesome. I'm not sure what you mean as far as things to look for, are you asking which options to get?

my1999gsr, do you guys use lithium grease to lube doors/hinges/locks and other stuff or something else VW-approved? Is lithium grease ok to use? I've heard some people say it's too thick and can ruin certain things.

As in red flags, known issues etc.

I'm buying used, looking at mainly manual 06 GTIs .

vains fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 8, 2010

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

Absolutely take it back to the dealership. If they felt that it was leaking enough to apply the fix then it's leaking enough to diagnose and solve.

On the subject of lubricant for door hinges: We use Wurth products at the shop but there's a wide range of products that will do just fine for the hinges. I'm not a big fan of lithium grease because it's visible and it's not that great of a penetrant. Look for something that's a penetrant AND an lubricant if you can. I wouldn't worry too much about damaging anything no matter what you use - just check the label first to make sure it's not going to react with paint or rubber.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Veins McGee posted:

I'm buying used, looking at mainly 06 GTIs.

Well, the early 2.0T engines were known to have weak high pressure fuel pumps and oil consumption but anything that was built in 06 has probably already had those problems addressed. There was also a TSB about a creak/groan from the front suspension due to poor control arm bushings but again, it's likely already had those bushings replaced. Other than that stuff you should just be looking for normal wear and tear on a 5 year old car.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
my1999gsr:

I asked a few weeks ago about removing the doors. I apologize for not getting you the pictures, but I just gave it a shot when I went out there and got both doors off just fine. The stereo is now installed and sounds great!

However, I'm seriously goddamn sick of working on the car. I have a pile of interior parts remaining (seriously just about everything related to the center console, and then trim pieces around the edges). Am I retarded for wanting to take it to the dealer and just asking them to put it back together while replacing actual broken pieces (some clips died :()? I'd be willing to spend about $150 or so on this -- I know it's impossible for you to quote without seeing the amount of disassembly it's in, I'm just curious if this is a worthy venture at all.

Are they going to bitch about my stereo wires running everywhere saying they won't touch the car? Will they attempt to hide them and make the car look good again or just do strictly what I asked? Am I just being a lazy gently caress and wanting to throw money at a problem that doesn't exist?

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Veins McGee posted:

That's not the newest generation then. They're pretty similar though, there's a ton of people here with MKVs who can help you out. Just look for a car that was maintained well.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

insta posted:

my1999gsr:

I asked a few weeks ago about removing the doors. I apologize for not getting you the pictures, but I just gave it a shot when I went out there and got both doors off just fine. The stereo is now installed and sounds great!

However, I'm seriously goddamn sick of working on the car. I have a pile of interior parts remaining (seriously just about everything related to the center console, and then trim pieces around the edges). Am I retarded for wanting to take it to the dealer and just asking them to put it back together while replacing actual broken pieces (some clips died :()? I'd be willing to spend about $150 or so on this -- I know it's impossible for you to quote without seeing the amount of disassembly it's in, I'm just curious if this is a worthy venture at all.

Are they going to bitch about my stereo wires running everywhere saying they won't touch the car? Will they attempt to hide them and make the car look good again or just do strictly what I asked? Am I just being a lazy gently caress and wanting to throw money at a problem that doesn't exist?

Most of this really depends on the shop. If you brought me your car and asked me to conceal any visible wiring and replace any broken parts then you'd get your car back in as close to OEM condition as I could make it but some guys would just stick it back together and give you a bill.

If it's worth it to you to pay your shop to re-assemble your interior then go ahead and do that. I've paid for work on my car just because I was sick of working on it - there's nothing wrong with that. Maybe ask a tech come out and have a look at your car so he can make an accurate time estimate just to be safe.

Atomic Mitten
Jul 3, 2004
Glove of doom
Mix one part Golf GTD with one part Seat and add some yellow. I admit, this will not be to everyones taste.

Just picked this up - it's a riot and the new CR TDI is built to last it would seem (cam belt at 120k seems insane compared to my last TDI, a Skoda Fabia vRS at 70k).

Dr. Jackal posted:

odd question, is there a way to display the current gear in a manual car on the MFD+?
This is new in this car's 2010 spec and uses the same MFD as the Golf I believe (may require the bluetooth pack). It unhelpfully is there to suggest when you should change gear though.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
What's your recommendation for fixing headlight condensation on the B6 A4?

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

RapeWhistle posted:

What's your recommendation for fixing headlight condensation on the B6 A4?

There's not really much you can do. There was a TSB about headlight condensation that recommended blowing the moisture out of the headlight with compressed air but it wasn't that effective. We replaced a few headlight assemblies under warranty for this problem but Audi got upset and stopped covering the cost. The TSB also recommends checking the headlight seals and venting but it's more of a design problem than a venting problem. You can try drilling a small hole in the rear of the headlight to allow moisture to escape but that doesn't always work either.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Veins McGee posted:

I would read up on http://golfmkv.com/ cause it is tailored to the previous generation and vwvortex has a ton of info but it can be hard to dig through.

You might find some certified pre-owned type thing if you are willing to pay a little more for the peace of mind.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Atomic Mitten posted:

This is new in this car's 2010 spec and uses the same MFD as the Golf I believe (may require the bluetooth pack). It unhelpfully is there to suggest when you should change gear though.

Mine is a 2010 Golf TDI... I haven't seen anything that screams at me to change gears (and I've gone almost to 5 on the first gear trying to shoot out of a parking lot).

edit: Time to dig through the owner's manual woo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

JHVH-1 posted:

You might find some certified pre-owned type thing if you are willing to pay a little more for the peace of mind.

My A4 is at the Audi dealer right now getting a new turbo because of this. The extra money I paid for a certified car just paid for itself.