Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Ugh, I've got color issues. I'll try to give all the information I can, just ask if more is needed.

It's a fairly fresh install of Windows 7, the only app I'm having trouble with is Photoshop CS5. Video card: Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT. Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 220WM.

In CS5, white is yellow. Red looks red, black looks black, white is yellow. Since I can't trust a screenshot to be accurate, all I can say is that #ffffff to me is cream colored, only a handful of shades away from a post-it note. It's the color of the inside part of a banana peel.

In MS Word, white is white. Even in photoshop, parts of my UI are white, like the dropdown on my layers palette and the X in my close button in the top-right. It's just that in my color picker, white is yellow. I ran the default Windows display calibrator but it didn't change anything. I know this is probably nothing more than a profile problem, but damned if I know how to fix it. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
What are your Color Settings set up as (Edit/Color Settings...)?

KrzysztofKomeda
Jan 5, 2009
Odd question:
My friend's typography portfolio website has been entirely stolen by some random freelance web designer. The whole site is identical (except this guy's additional graphics are hideous and he's made a few small sloppy changes here and there) and he even still has a few pieces of her work on there, claiming theyre his.
Her statistics/analytics links are even still in the code and her name is still in random image alt tags.

Anybody know what she can do about this? Or what the best thing to do about it is?

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
dmca notice plus a stern warning to the ISP

unless you want damages, then you'd talk to a lawyer

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
First email the dude and ask that it be taken down IMMEDIATELY and make a reference to your lawyer.

However to litigate properly you need to have proof of copyright: something proving which work came first. File copyright at the Library of Congress as soon as possible. It's $35 to file online, and you can file multiple pieces as "collected works of so and so". If the work has been published anywhere, that's proof enough to litigate without copyright, but having a copyright on file in your name is pretty much a homerun.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Anyway about my last question ITT, it turns out that the tutorial I was using before just sucked, but I'm fine now.

KrzysztofKomeda
Jan 5, 2009
Thanks alot for the help! Took your advice.

geezus militia
Jan 26, 2006
I went to college for game development related work, particularly character modeling. I did not get a job in that line of work right out of college and I have been out for almost 4 years now. I still work on my portfolio and other projects, applying for jobs etc. Software I know is Maya Photoshop Zbrush and 3DS max. My only issue is, I am afraid I will lose touch with newer programs and techniques that come out. I do frequent Gnomon and Highend 3D (less than I used to) every once and awhile but other than that, can anyone recommend a way to stay up to date with that sort of thing, particularly with free resources?

geezus militia fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 4, 2010

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.
I have a bunch of images that have the same basic content, but with slightly different sizes and positions. I'd like to make them all as similar as possible using Photoshop CS4. What's the easiest way to do this? They're pretty much just circles on a black background so I don't have to worry too much about any details, but if any part of it could be automated it would save me a bunch of time.

The Great Went
Aug 21, 2007

by Ozmaugh
I need some help finding a resource. Below is a still from an animated gif of a nude model that rotates 360 degrees. Can anyone tell me where this originated?

NSFW

https://wi.somethingawful.com/f7/f7b4529166e59d62cca3d74073dec09169d6bda8.jpg

MIRV Griffin
Jul 31, 2009

The Great Went posted:

I need some help finding a resource. Below is a still from an animated gif of a nude model that rotates 360 degrees. Can anyone tell me where this originated?

NSFW

https://wi.somethingawful.com/f7/f7b4529166e59d62cca3d74073dec09169d6bda8.jpg

I know who the model is...

But look into Virtual Pose. These books come with cd's of models that you rotate 360 degrees with your mouse.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
In google sketch up how on earth do I use the orbit tool in the 3rd axis. I can move it around two by moving the mouse up and down or left and right but for the life of me I cant figure out how to move around the 3rd axis.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Freelance opportunity popped up and I'm not sure what to charge. It's a 12 page tabloid size America's most wanted print job. Guy doesn't know InDesign so I'll be teaching him how to use the program as well and providing him a template to use in the future (yes I know I'm putting myself out of future opportunities). I was thinking $200-300 for the whole gig, which would include lessons (I usually only teach students at my university) unless you think I'm underselling?

Also, anyone ever written a contract before?

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 19, 2010

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003
I am not a graphics artist, but I'm looking on some advice on how to better work with the one that we have at our company.

I work at a beer/liquor/wine distributor, and our graphic artist is responsible for creating the point of sale for the sales team (banners, table tents, etc). These are done both using templates from our suppliers as well as "original" work (not using a template) in which stock images are used, but not original artwork is done.

The problem that we're having is that the output from our graphics artist is sporadic, at best. I have banner requests in from months ago, and many times I have to cancel my point of sale requests because the event that they were advertising has already passed.

I know that the artist has a backlog of work, but without being able to guarantee a 1 month turnaround time on an item, it is hurting us in the marketplace. One of the issues that I have is that the graphics artist is such a perfectionist with his work that very very simple price signs (18 pack cans, 15.99!) turn out looking like he's done quite a bit of design work on.

His quality of work is exceptional, but we're not looking for exceptional if it means that the item can't get done in a reasonable amount of time. In fact, especially on large banners, simpler is better, as the sign needs to convey information to the customer as they whiz by in their vehicle. We would much rather have him spend the detail work on things a customer will see close-up - a wine menu, for example.

I suppose what I'm looking for is an estimate of how long a typical banner, table tent or flyer should take (in hours), so I can figure out if the output of this individual is reasonable or if he's holding out on us because only he has the ability to print the point of sale.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

paradigmblue posted:

I suppose what I'm looking for is an estimate of how long a typical banner, table tent or flyer should take (in hours), so I can figure out if the output of this individual is reasonable or if he's holding out on us because only he has the ability to print the point of sale.

It's hard to say how quickly any given artist works without knowing them, but if he's on your staff you should be able to talk to him and get a rough estimate. I hate to say it but if he's not able to keep his own deadlines then it sounds like he sucks: part of being a professional is talent, but reliability is also a huge part.

However, if he has a huge backlog (say, more than 2 projects from scratch per week, or 4 or 5 from stock images), he might just be overloaded.

As a client of a graphic designer or artist, you need to be upfront about the timeline you want for the work you're commissioning, and as the artist, it's his job to tell you if that's possible or not so you can approach someone else if need be. You might also try working with him to pare down projects to their essential elements: I don't know if you work with him directly, but some of his perfectionism might be his own nature, or it might be some art director who is sending him back to the drawing board with minute changes.

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

vonnegutt posted:

You might also try working with him to pare down projects to their essential elements: I don't know if you work with him directly, but some of his perfectionism might be his own nature, or it might be some art director who is sending him back to the drawing board with minute changes.

There is no art director.

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it. I wish I could simply just ask him how long a project takes, but he won't give a straight answer.

Another related question - Many times we want a simple reprint of a previously created banner or table-tent, but when we get it, many details are changed (color, stock images used, etc). He says that this is because each banner is part of his resume. Is this common?

I really don't know what is standard practice and what isn't when it comes to these things.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

paradigmblue posted:

Another related question - Many times we want a simple reprint of a previously created banner or table-tent, but when we get it, many details are changed (color, stock images used, etc). He says that this is because each banner is part of his resume. Is this common?

I don't really see why he should need a lot of very similar banners in his portfolio. Honestly, it kind of sounds like this guy just sucks. You might review the terms of his contract to figure out if there's anything in there about timeframes. A good staff artist should be able to work under deadline and at the very least give a reliable idea of how long a given project would take.

I've had to turn down offers because I've known that under the deadline given my work would be subpar, but these are jobs where I'm expected to produce three or four original pieces of artwork in a weekend. Wanting a simple sign or banner in a week or so is not ridiculous, and if he's re-using elements of previous signs, should merely take him a day or two at tops.

[edit] Also, if he's working for you (as in, salaried position with equipment and resources paid for), that's considered work-for-hire and technically, you own all the work. You should be able to reprint from the original work files, since you own them. If he's freelance/contracted out, copyright usually stays with the artist, but he should be able to sell/license you the exact same banner again with no changes. It sounds like he isn't meeting your needs and is instead using you to pad his portfolio. As a designer, meeting the client's needs is your first and foremost responsibility. Obviously some client requests are impractical (I need the Sistine Chapel, by Monday!) but it's also his job to communicate to you his reservations and come to a workable compromise for both of you. You should never be surprised by the work of a designer: they should make absolutely clear that they know what you want, and you should feel free to bring back work that is clearly not what you were asking for.

vonnegutt fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 20, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

paradigmblue posted:

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it. I wish I could simply just ask him how long a project takes, but he won't give a straight answer.

I really don't know what is standard practice and what isn't when it comes to these things.

Who does he report to? He must have a manager / handler, and you need to communicate your dissatisfaction to them.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
If you could post some of his work we could probably give you an estimate on how long it should take.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

paradigmblue posted:

If he's consistently not meeting deadlines that he already agreed to, and refuses to give you an estimate of how long it will take him to do work, find yourself a new graphic designer.

I applaud you making the effort to learn about what goes into a design and to work with the artist, so many people have very unrealistic expectations about graphic design and don't respect the work at all. However, if you gave him a timeline and he agreed to it, then he's responsible for getting it done. Remember, he is doing the work for you. He can put it in his portfolio when he's done, yes, but that is not why he is doing the work, he is doing it to advertise beer in your store and if he can't get it done on time you aren't doing any favors by continuing to pay him.

Take your awesome attitude about working with the artist and put it towards an artist who can get things done on time and won't leave you hanging.

Cupid Painted Blind
Feb 15, 2010
I'm not a writer and have never been a writer. I'm curious to try writing. Am I allowed in the critique threads, despite the fact I have no "credentials" whatsoever?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Cupid Painted Blind posted:

I'm not a writer and have never been a writer. I'm curious to try writing. Am I allowed in the critique threads, despite the fact I have no "credentials" whatsoever?

Hasn't stopped the rest of us. :v:

I haven't been here as long as some, but it seems to me like new writers are just as easy to find here as those who've been at it for a little while. Probably easier, in fact. So post away. There are a lot of competent critics in CC and not a lot of sugarcoating, but if you're sincerely making an effort and you don't respond to criticism by flying into a berserk rage, you'll be fine.

Also, expect to get a lot of things wrong right off the bat. As someone who has only been writing a year, I feel like every single goddamn month my writing style changes and I end up thinking I've finally figured out writing. Only to have someone come along and point out four or five serious flaws in what I've slapped together. :cry:

One last bit of advice: read. A lot. It'll help you get a feel for what works and what doesn't.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

stupid little question!

has anyone here registered on conceptart.org? How long did it take to confirm/activate your account? I figured it would be one of those "automatic to your inbox, click this link" things but it's been days and there doesn't seem to be any way to contact them if you're not activated. As you can see, I'm in a huge hurry to get my dumb rear end laughed out of their forums.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Hacka_Tacka posted:

stupid little question!

has anyone here registered on conceptart.org? How long did it take to confirm/activate your account? I figured it would be one of those "automatic to your inbox, click this link" things but it's been days and there doesn't seem to be any way to contact them if you're not activated. As you can see, I'm in a huge hurry to get my dumb rear end laughed out of their forums.

Check your spam folder, it's just like registering for any other forum.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
Just a small question here, but I'm really struggling to get posing right on some more complex poses. Especially in regards to perspective.

I'm trying to draw a piece on the Battle between Arthur and Mordred in my spare time, as I love Arthurian lore. For the scene I'm imagining Arthur kneeling and wounded, with one arm held to his side and the other holding himself up against the floor, but I'm finding such a complex pose difficult to get right. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for drawing complex poses such as this?

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

d3c0y2 posted:

Just a small question here, but I'm really struggling to get posing right on some more complex poses. Especially in regards to perspective.

I'm trying to draw a piece on the Battle between Arthur and Mordred in my spare time, as I love Arthurian lore. For the scene I'm imagining Arthur kneeling and wounded, with one arm held to his side and the other holding himself up against the floor, but I'm finding such a complex pose difficult to get right. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for drawing complex poses such as this?

I know nothing about drawing, so this may not help any, but many animation studios have a room or area set aside so that the animators can themselves act out various poses and have somebody photo/film them for reference -- why not get somebody to take a photo of you in such a pose, so that you could see what it looks like from another perspective?

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

d3c0y2 posted:

I suggest getting onto google images, flickr, or what ever, and searching until you find a photo of people in poses similar to what you want, and then either tracing or copying those poses onto paper and working on the clothes or costumes as a separate part. You can pose your friends too, thats a solution but I mean, poo poo, if you're gonna go the lazy route why even bother. Google and flickr are filled with so much poo poo that 10 or 15 minutes of searching the right way should get you close to what you want.

The thing is, it will look like you copied a photo, which almost always looks like poo poo. If your main issue is developing perspective, you shouldn't be copying photographs, you should be learning how to draw things from real life. But if you're in a hurry, I guess thats what you gotta do.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~
Try drawing a box in perspective on your drawing where you want the person to be. Then, draw the person to fit inside the box. If you're still getting confused, start with the simple shapes of the person, and get all of them into perspective before adding details- basically don't draw king arthur any differently than you would draw a chair.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

gmc9987 posted:

Check your spam folder, it's just like registering for any other forum.

ed: disregard that, the site's in some kind of meltdown right now, you can't register.

fuzzy_logic fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 26, 2010

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

this isn't so much a stupid question as a stupid observation that the google homepage is really great today

Click here for the full 1012x483 image.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Does anyone know how to properly distort a label so it matches up to a rounded surface in photoshop?

I'm mocking up some packaging, and I can't for the life of me get the warp tool to match up just right.

I've looked EVERYWHERE, and I can't find a tutorial that gives me the result I'm looking for.

Ugh, I just want to make a selection with the pen tool and tell it to match those lines when I import the artwork, can you do this somehow?

John Blaster
Aug 2, 2006

I can't fall asleep without thinking about killing people.
Sometimes you just have to go in and paint/fix it by hand. That's how you get sure results, anyway. I don't know about any automated way to round off corners like that.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

somnambulist posted:

Does anyone know how to properly distort a label so it matches up to a rounded surface in photoshop?

I'm mocking up some packaging, and I can't for the life of me get the warp tool to match up just right.

I've looked EVERYWHERE, and I can't find a tutorial that gives me the result I'm looking for.

Ugh, I just want to make a selection with the pen tool and tell it to match those lines when I import the artwork, can you do this somehow?

Check your Transform tool options. You should be able to get a 3x3 grid over it and be able to manipulate the individual grid points to warp the image any way you like. You have to sort of eyeball it, but that's the best way to get a good result.

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

~*your troubles are all the same*~
In Photoshop is there any way to have a gradient follow a path?

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
When creating vector shapes in Photoshop, how can I give them a construction paper like texture?

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Scan or download a piece of construction paper at high rez, then use it on the shapes on either a multiply layer or use a hue/saturation adjustment layer to change the color of the paper to whatever you want.

SilverSoldat
Jan 15, 2006

What was that? Hee haw? Oh, ok.
I have had this photograph saved for longer than I care to remember:

Does anybody know anything about it, or where I can find out?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I got this info from a Chinese site: http://world.people.com.cn/GB/57505/6724763.html

"New Delhi, May 7. After a fire in illegal squatter settlements, a little girl with an exposed wire in her mouth shows a look of disappointment. Local firefighters said the fire left 3 dead, 4 wounded."

Jewel
May 2, 2009

SilverSoldat posted:

I have had this photograph saved for longer than I care to remember:

Does anybody know anything about it, or where I can find out?

Just so you know, you can use http://www.tineye.com/ for those types of things, you just pop in the image and it finds everywhere it's on the internet, which leads you directly to articles or people talking about it. Most of the time anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomEffects
Apr 3, 2004

"That's not why people watch TV. Clever things make people feel stupid and unexpected things make them feel scared."
My nephew has been making his own shirts using iron-ons and i wanted to get him set up with a silk screen printing kit as he is really into it. preferably something with clear instructions rather than just here are all the pieces.

What is an affordable kit for an 12 year old?