Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

IOwnCalculus posted:

I ran mine to 100k / 11 years, and I'm pretty sure more than a few others have done the same.

That said, if you do go for the 'long' interval, expect to do the whole drat thing - idlers, water pump, etc. You won't want to skip any of them.

It's really not hard on the Miata, though, because you have a lot of room at the front of the engine to work on things. You only need to drop the front swaybar if you can't get a socket on the crank bolt, and the only other problem I had (and much to my amusement, aventari did it too) was putting the crank sensor trigger wheel on backwards. Why couldn't it have been flat instead of a 2mm dish? :argh:

yeah this. I just changed mine at 70k miles, my friend has a 01 with 210k miles on the original belt so..

It's not hard at all if you're a competent mechanic, just pull the radiator in front to get room, and the bolts in the back for the coil packs are kinda annoying.

I also checked valve lash while I was in there.

Yeah watch the stupid crank trigger :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Hog Obituary posted:

So it looks like I'm going to sell my Miata. It just failed the CA smog sniff test and I just bought an Evo.

Since destructo asked for more info, I figured I'd just post it here. My plan is to get it to pass smog completely legit (new cat is on the way).

It's as follows:
1995 M-edition, Merlot
BEGi S2 turbo kit with GT2554, fully carb legal with EO number
Enthuza 2.5" exhaust with extra resonator
Hard Dog Hard Core Hard Top Double Diagonal rollbar w/ padding and leather cover
Fatcat Motorsports custom valved Bilstein coilovers
Racing Beat tubular front swaybar
Some Kenwood MP3 headunit and Infinity speakers
Color matched hardtop w/ headliner and defroster
135k miles, turbo was installed at 105k

Also I have a Megasquirt PNP with boost control and 460cc injectors available, but obviously that setup isn't smog legal.

I hope I don't get bent over the table trying to sell this thing. :(

Welp, sold my car with the hardtop but without the MegaSquirt for $8000 flat. Buyer seemed pretty happy with it. :)

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

(yes there are jackstands underneath this vehicle.)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
It looks like the robot from Flubber.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Hog Obituary posted:

Welp, sold my car with the hardtop but without the MegaSquirt for $8000 flat. Buyer seemed pretty happy with it. :)
Nice! Glad to hear you didn't have to part it out to get the money.

First-class ghetto engineering. I actually recommend this one quite a bit, fun noise and no drawbacks.

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~

destructo posted:

Nice! Glad to hear you didn't have to part it out to get the money.

First-class ghetto engineering. I actually recommend this one quite a bit, fun noise and no drawbacks.
What'd you do here?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

velocityJE posted:

What'd you do here?
Took off the bottom of the airbox and the snorkel, ziptied the filter to the AFM so it wouldn't fall off.

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~

destructo posted:

Took off the bottom of the airbox and the snorkel, ziptied the filter to the AFM so it wouldn't fall off.
Cool. How loud is it?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

velocityJE posted:

Cool. How loud is it?
Loud enough when you get on it, sounds like any other CAI kit.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Found a picture of some dinosaurs having sex with a miata. Enjoy?

Thumbnail is pretty SFW, actual picture not so much.

Click here for the full 1602x1209 image.

pacheco
May 2, 2005

Always bet on Duke.
WHAT THE gently caress

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008

Piano posted:

some dinosaurs having sex with a miata.

Umm.... Thanks?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

brb, shortcut?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Goober Peas posted:

brb, shortcut?

I'm suing you for eleventy billion dollars for improper use and inflammatory use of "brb, shortcut"

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Checked my valve lash (99 NB 73k)

in (.008-.009)
ex (.012-.013)
Intake #1 .008 #2 .009 #3 .009 #4 .009 #5 .009 #6 .009 #7 .009 #8 .009
Exhaust #1 .012 #2 .0125 #3 .0135 #4 .014 #5 .014 #6 .014 #7 .013 #8 .013

Should I bother to adjust the exhaust? Since they're shims and just a bit out loose as opposed to tight, I'm really not inclined to mess with them.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I thought BP motors had hydraulic lifters?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

revmoo posted:

I thought BP motors had hydraulic lifters?

the ones in NAs do, which is why they tend to get bad valve ticking

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Frank Dillinger posted:

the ones in NAs do, which is why they tend to get bad valve ticking

Yeah, at AutoX my buddy's NA sounds like a sewing machine, but on the way back home it just hums.

I love my E30's eccentric adjusters :smug:

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

aventari posted:

Checked my valve lash (99 NB 73k)

in (.008-.009)
ex (.012-.013)
Intake #1 .008 #2 .009 #3 .009 #4 .009 #5 .009 #6 .009 #7 .009 #8 .009
Exhaust #1 .012 #2 .0125 #3 .0135 #4 .014 #5 .014 #6 .014 #7 .013 #8 .013

Should I bother to adjust the exhaust? Since they're shims and just a bit out loose as opposed to tight, I'm really not inclined to mess with them.

This is just coming from doing a similar valve job on my bike: if they're a little high, the only real worry is a bit of noise. Yours are all REALLY close, so I would just call it a day, honestly.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So all NB Miatas have engines with solid lifters?

I had no idea...

What's the adjustment intervals?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There actually isn't one called out in any manual that I've seen.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Wait for the valves to tick, then drive the poo poo out of it and watch the tick go away.

At least my miata always sounds better, tick wise, after I flog it all over town.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

revmoo posted:

So all NB Miatas have engines with solid lifters?

I had no idea...

What's the adjustment intervals?

It's every 60k miles, or when you hear them tick depending on how you feel about it. I don't know why but I've never seen it mentioned on here or Miata.net

This is the maintenance schedule from the workshop manual for the 1999 Miata and I believe its the same schedule for the miata for all that used the BP-4W.

Click for big full size image!!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh, huh.

Looks like it's tagged as an 'inspect' at every 60k. Inspection: Is it tapping louder than normal? Nope? Drive on.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
OK, I'm a bad maintenance guy, but I finally thought to blow out/change my air filter. I open the box, get it off, and pull the filter. The entire bottom of the box is filled with little green pellets. It looks exactly like D-Con.

Is the previous owner loving nuts or is there some logic behind this?

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Hagetaka posted:

OK, I'm a bad maintenance guy, but I finally thought to blow out/change my air filter. I open the box, get it off, and pull the filter. The entire bottom of the box is filled with little green pellets. It looks exactly like D-Con.

Is the previous owner loving nuts or is there some logic behind this?

Maybe the dude was having problems with mice.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
Well I finally got around to finishing up the suspension install. H&R springs on Bilstein HD's.

BONUS FLOATY SHOT!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Lyesh posted:

Maybe the dude was having problems with mice.

but in the airbox?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Finally mine is back and running after being down nearly 2 months. Junkyard engine has all kinds of nasty rear end rust in the cooling passages though. :barf: I'm hoping that gets cleaned out with the Prestone Super Clean stuff I dumped in there. Also could probably use some Seafoam in the crankcase and gas, some synthetic oil and new plugs. It never ends.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

What do you guys think of this headunit from a purely "goes well with the car" (NA with black trim) perspective?

It's pretty much either that one or take this out of my other car:

Which is actually a functionally great unit, and was relatively expensive when I got it new a few years back, and while it's pretty classy looking in comparison to the rest of the car stereo world, it's still pretty god drat silly looking.

Don't really give a poo poo about anything except ipod connectivity and not looking like a spaceship exploded on my console.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Hagetaka posted:

but in the airbox?

When I replaced my filter, some squirrels had stored some acorns in there and chewed up a corner of it. I guess they like climbing in there.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

crutt posted:

Well I finally got around to finishing up the suspension install. H&R springs on Bilstein HD's.

looks awesome, I like that color with the black hardtop. Just lose the front plate :)

Some nicer wheels would look good too, but it's actually not terrible with those stockers

I also have the H&R race springs but with Bilstein sports. With the RB sways the suspension is sublime on the track.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

aventari posted:

looks awesome, I like that color with the black hardtop. Just lose the front plate :)

Some nicer wheels would look good too, but it's actually not terrible with those stockers

I also have the H&R race springs but with Bilstein sports. With the RB sways the suspension is sublime on the track.

Woops I just checked my shipping manifest and I have the sports as well! Also, texas troopers are pretty uptight about the whole front plate thing. I've been researching wheels and am thinking about the 6UL's in 15x7, 15x8 seems like overkill for a stock drivetrain.

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008

Piano posted:

What do you guys think of this headunit from a purely "goes well with the car" (NA with black trim) perspective?

It's pretty much either that one or take this out of my other car:

Which is actually a functionally great unit, and was relatively expensive when I got it new a few years back, and while it's pretty classy looking in comparison to the rest of the car stereo world, it's still pretty god drat silly looking.

Don't really give a poo poo about anything except ipod connectivity and not looking like a spaceship exploded on my console.

I like the top one for simplicity and the green all matching, but wouldn't that take up the whole area. I use my little pocket for my sunglasses and poo poo. If you don't use it, then sure, but if you do then I'd just stick with the one you've got now.

If it's the first aftermarket headunit you've seen in a Miata, then know that the pocket you get with a mounting kit will be a lot smaller. Following the guide mine came with, me and my friend couldn't get it to fit right, nor was there anything online. So, with it being late, we just used a dremel until everything was nice and snug, and I got to keep my big pocket.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Piano posted:

What's the model of this one? I like it and need something like that in the future. I removed my antenna because it looked stupid and only have the stock tape player.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

DreamOn13 posted:

What's the model of this one? I like it and need something like that in the future. I removed my antenna because it looked stupid and only have the stock tape player.

Found them on this website, may be cheaper elsewhere:
$110 here or $120 with the ipod cable which is $20 by itself on the same store.

Pretty cheap overall but never heard of this brand, it may be really crappy.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
I got me car fixed!

Vitamin J posted:

Not bad for $1700 bux eh? I prepped it by removing everything except the door handles from the exterior. Got a respray of the whole car for that price! He was even kind enough to pop out a dent on my front fender from a shopping cart too. There's some orange peel on the passenger door and a few other spots, but its minor. I'm pleased because my original paint was starting to age pretty badly.

The shop who did it was called Straightline Auto down in Albuquerque, NM. Though you probably won't be able to find him anymore cuz he almost got arrested while painting my car! Apparently painting without a license and the correct equipment is highly illegal!

I took her out to Sandia for a victory track day, though I came a little too close to the pit wall:

I ran a 1:37 there for anyone who's been. The SMs that day were running 1:34s so my time's not too shabby for a full weight '96 Miata on old worn Azenis. By the way if anyone is looking for good but cheap suspension: I bought the OEM shocks, springs, and rear sway off a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata with 15k for $400 and my car handles so well! The shocks are Bilstiens. No understeer whatsoever along with excellent grip. The stiffer rear sway with stock front sway makes the car just hilarious fun. It's pretty comfy on the street too. Remember, OEM is always the best quality vs. price. Though you'll have to cut 1 coil off the front and 1.5 coils off the rear springs to get a decent ride height.

Also, Attention Megasquirt guys! I've been daily driving a MS for about 6 months now. I've got my tune pretty drat good, but my spark map leaves a little to be desired and I'm having trouble finding one for a motor like mine.

I'm running a '96 1.8 block with '02 pistons along with full head porting and 1mm oversize valves, header, intake, yada yada.

Anyone have a good spark map for a 10:1 Miata motor? I was hearin some knock earlier today with about 115*F intake temps. Also I have it pulling 1 deg for every 10*F over 90*F, is that a good setting?

I've been averaging 30mpg totally city driving and I hit 38mpg the other day doing about 60% highway driving, I love it!

Vitamin J fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 2, 2010

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Vitamin J posted:

Also, Attention Megasquirt guys! I've been daily driving a MS for about 6 months now. I've got my tune pretty drat good, but my spark map leaves a little to be desired and I'm having trouble finding one for a motor like mine.

I'm running a '96 1.8 block with '02 pistons along with full head porting and 1mm oversize valves, header, intake, yada yada.

Anyone have a good spark map for a 10:1 Miata motor? I was hearin some knock earlier today with about 115*F intake temps. Also I have it pulling 1 deg for every 10*F over 90*F, is that a good setting?

This thread has a lot of spark maps in it: http://www.miataturbo.net/showthread.php?t=18648 (though mostly for turbo cars, you should be able to get some info out of it)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm running into some overheating issues with my 94 with 183k on the clock. At Carolina Motorsports Park it was getting pretty bad and on the way home from an autox with the AC on the temps started to creep up on me. I haven't flushed out the system yet, but I was still curious as to what aluminum radiators people are using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
How hard of a knock were you hearing? Hard load slight pinging isn't too horrible on those, but back a bit more off the map, the timing temp-retard is for turbo cars and isn't really strong enough to act as a ghetto knock predictor.