Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Finished God of War III last night, had a very :doh: moment in the last 1/3 of the game I should share here:

-Occasionally you will see things that look like heat shimmers with small particles of light floating in them, usually next to walls. Once you have the "flashlight" item, shine it on these patches to reveal treasure chests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
I've been on an rpg craze this summer and recently picked up Elder Scrolls Oblivion. I can't loving believe how much different poo poo there is in this game and obviously I have a few questions.

Firstly, I'm a combat Nord, with some points in destruction. I'm currently level 1 but I could easily sleep ~5 levels. I'm about halfway through part 1 of the main quest.

When should I level up?
Should I buy spells and weapons, or just pick up stuff while doing quests?
Should I focus on trade skills or wait until I've progressed further in the game?
What guild should I join; and when should i try to join?
Another other information would be helpful.

Paigicus
Sep 1, 2007

Note to self: I don't wanna see that!

10bux posted:

I've been on an rpg craze this summer and recently picked up Elder Scrolls Oblivion. I can't loving believe how much different poo poo there is in this game and obviously I have a few questions.

Firstly, I'm a combat Nord, with some points in destruction. I'm currently level 1 but I could easily sleep ~5 levels. I'm about halfway through part 1 of the main quest.

When should I level up?
Should I focus on trade skills or wait until I've progressed further in the game?

Are you on Xbox or PC? Because the answers will vary quite a bit depending.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

10bux posted:

When should I level up?

It's no where near as hard as people say. Leveling up only makes it harder if you go for pretty much a completely non-combat build for major skills.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's kinda what I figured. I'm probably just going to level up and I can always load if it's ridiculously hard.

Sorry didn't think it mattered, but I'm playing on xbox 360.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Luisfe posted:

Any tips for a total newbie at Red Orchestra?

Use cover whenever possible, in addition to helping keep you alive, you can steady your rifle on almost any surface, making it a lot more accurate. I used a simple bolt-action rifle 90% of the time and easily out-shot the majority of snipers, which leads to the second point.

Keep your eyes open, it's really, really easy to die in RO, so ambushes are absolutely brutal. In addition, if the enemy has machine guns and snipers guarding one path to an objective, try to find an alternative route. It's very easy for defenders to lock down an area if they know what they're doing, but it's pretty common for people to assume someone else is guarding the back alleys and passages.

And it's been ages since I've played, but last time I made the attempt, the best way to deal with vehicles is to not. There were a ton of glitches people exploited to make tanks all but invulnerable. In addition, though it was likely just me sucking with it, the Russian AT Rifle is absolutely worthless against vehicles.

Bayonet whenever possible. Not because it's particularly good, but because you'll feel like a hardass when you bayonet someone with a submachine gun because they panicked when they saw you charge them.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

ArchRanger posted:

Bayonet whenever possible. Not because it's particularly good, but because you'll feel like a hardass when you bayonet someone with a submachine gun because they panicked when they saw you charge them.

AFAIK, Red Orchestra is the only commercial FPS where a mass bayonet charge is a legitimate tactic, and because of this I will always love it.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

AFAIK, Red Orchestra is the only commercial FPS where a mass bayonet charge is a legitimate tactic, and because of this I will always love it.

All of my favorite memories of Red Orchestra include a bayonet, it's true. People really do freak the hell out when they see one coming at them.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Anything about Super Metroid?

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.
Can anyone give starting tips for Suikoden 3? I've tried playing a little of it, but I really don't seem to get it yet.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Nope. This is the sort of game you want to go in knowing almost nothing about.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

If you've never played the genre before, know that back-tracking is the name of the game and you should make a mental checklist of areas you are unable to access. Samus gets more items and abilities as the game progresses which in turn lets her access more areas. In many cases this is vital to continue on.

Don't bother to scour the space-station the game starts on. The game proper doesn't start till you land on the planet. The intro ends with a bang.

Their is a scanning visor item in the game that will tell you if there are breakable blocks and how to bust them. It is a godsend. Until you get it, when you see something suspicious, or even things that aren't suspicious, bomb the hell out of them. You never know where a missile expansion is going to hide.

Keep in mind collecting items is the only way you grow stronger, killing enemies is at best zero-sum. There is no incentive to keep killing them unless you need to farm health and missiles, nor are you punished for completely avoiding enemies.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

If you're playing it on an emulator make sure to use a controller and not the keyboard- you will need to be holding buttons down while pressing other buttons and most keyboards can't handle that poo poo.

And Dr. Video Games gave good advice. If you get lost or stuck or something, just keep exploring. Enjoy, it's one of the best games ever.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

NicktheBishop posted:

If you're playing it on an emulator make sure to use a controller and not the keyboard- you will need to be holding buttons down while pressing other buttons and most keyboards can't handle that poo poo.

And Dr. Video Games gave good advice. If you get lost or stuck or something, just keep exploring. Enjoy, it's one of the best games ever.

And one of the alternate control schemes is better than the default.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

Yes. Super Metroid's default controls are pretty bad, but fortunately you can reconfigure it almost any way you want.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Are you supposed to grind in Chrono Trigger? I'm playing the DS version and I'm stuck on the Dragon Tank boss. It just crushes me every time. Potions are worthless and I can't go back to a store or anything as far as I know to get more Mid-potions or better armor or anything.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

pseudorandom name posted:

Re: Super Metroid

I actually prefer the default. It's much easier to run jump and shoot all at once.

Remember that L & R can be used to aim at angles. There are a lot of cool things you can do, that aren't described in the manual. Watch all the attract mode demos for an idea. Then try and figure it out.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

HondaCivet posted:

Are you supposed to grind in Chrono Trigger?

No, grinding should never be necessary, as long as you don't avoid fights. Are you sure you're using the right strategy? It's pretty much spelled out for you in some documents you can find along the way. In case you missed it: attack the head first, because it heals the tank; use only basic attacks, as your Techniques will cause it to react. Once the head is down, take out the wheels (you can use Techniques now), then the body.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

HondaCivet posted:

Are you supposed to grind in Chrono Trigger? I'm playing the DS version and I'm stuck on the Dragon Tank boss. It just crushes me every time. Potions are worthless and I can't go back to a store or anything as far as I know to get more Mid-potions or better armor or anything.
Sneak attack all the guards and loot them.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

FredMSloniker posted:

No, grinding should never be necessary, as long as you don't avoid fights. Are you sure you're using the right strategy? It's pretty much spelled out for you in some documents you can find along the way. In case you missed it: attack the head first, because it heals the tank; use only basic attacks, as your Techniques will cause it to react. Once the head is down, take out the wheels (you can use Techniques now), then the body.

I'm trying to do that but it gets off like five attacks before my stupid ATB gauge fills up and I can attack the head one more time, immediately after which it heals again. Augh.

re: Scalding Coffee: How do you sneak attack? I didn't know you could do that.

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!
I snagged X3 on the Steam Sale for tenbux and since I hear Terran Conflict is the one to be playing, that's just what I'll do. I've skimmed over the thread and I just startng playing it for an hour or so (Terran Defender start, just got the first free ship they give you).

This game seems a bit like MORROWIND IN SPACE in that I can do pretty much anything (fly anywhere, be a total jerk, etc), but honestly the game seems kind of gigantic and I'm not really sure where to begin.

CardTech posted:

So my buddy keeps insisting that I play Legends of Dragoon, as he is always raving about how that is one of his favorite games of all time. Anything I should know before giving it a try? I've never played it and I know absolutely nothing about it.

The normal attack QTE's, Additions or whatever, are actually pretty good. That said, don't be so jazzed to try out a new one as soon as you get it - since it was already mentioned they level up via use, I found myself using Dart's two-hit one (the first one he has) for pretty much 3/4ths of the game cuz at that point in time I was pretty bad at QTE's, and it was still pretty solid.

HondaCivet posted:

IIRC you just start the fight by running into them from behind. I haven't played in a while, though, so I could be wrong.

10bux posted:

When should I level up?

If you're playing PC version, then I recommend you mod it so that the rest of the game doesn't level with you - the leveling mod makes it so poo poo like rats stay at level 1 or whatever and the high level daedra are and always will be level 25 or whatever.

As far as weapons go, if you find stuff thats better than your current stuff then use it, if you can afford stuff thats a sight better than what you have, buy it. Really, armor is the stuff you have to buy (or kill high level monsters for) - a simple steel longsword or whatever goes quite a way and there's always juicy stuff to be found in dungeons.

Spells you HAVE to buy to learn them (stuff you find in dungeons are mainly scrolls and enchanted items). What I do is buy a spell to get it's effects, then make a new, more powerful spell with the effect and delete the old one.

By trade skills I assume you mean Mercantile/Speechcraft? Those are the kinda things you try throughout the entire game - they don't level up unless you use them, and Mercantile can help you to get some pretty good deals as well. It goes hand-in-hand with Speechcraft, as higher reputations with shopkeepers make them buy stuff for more and sell it for less.

I suggest joining the Fighters Guild first - joining a Guild grants you access to free items, training, and discounts from guild-related items from the Guild merchants. You could join the other guilds, but each of them have a number of Mage- or Thief- related stats that they require to also be leveled up for advancement in the ranks. With Fighter's Guild you won't have to worry about it.

And the kicker - don't feel obliged to do the main quest (although having not played Oblivion as much as Morrowind, I hear the game only really starts after the main quest is over). With Morrowind, and Oblivion to a somewhat lesser extent, you can just pick a direction and walk that way, seeing what you come across. IIRC there's a fairly obvious dungeon close to the point where you escape from the sewers in the beginning - dungeons like these are scattered all across the land, and many have treasure, quests, monsters, friendlies, etc. So just go exploring and do the game at your own pace.

UberChair fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 3, 2010

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Barudak posted:

[bold]Super Metroid[/bold]

Their is a scanning visor item in the game that will tell you if there are breakable blocks and how to bust them. It is a godsend. Until you get it, when you see something suspicious, or even things that aren't suspicious, bomb the hell out of them. You never know where a missile expansion is going to hide.

Dropping a Super Bomb will also reveal any hidden breakable block on the current screen.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

HondaCivet posted:

I'm trying to do that but it gets off like five attacks before my stupid ATB gauge fills up and I can attack the head one more time, immediately after which it heals again. Augh.

That shouldn't be happening, even if you did grind that wouldn't affect your speed all that significantly. That boss is supposed to be pretty easy. Maybe you should lower the game speed? Make it "Wait" instead of "Active" if you haven't already?

If you approach a guard when their back is turned, you can knock them out by pushing A or B.

There's no way to really beat around the bush, but CT is seriously one of the easiest JRPGs ever made and at no point (unless you are a completionist) should it ever require grinding. As long as you don't actively avoid every fight you should be OK.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

Changer Of The Ways posted:

I snagged X3 on the Steam Sale for tenbux and since I hear Terran Conflict is the one to be playing, that's just what I'll do. I've skimmed over the thread and I just starting playing it for an hour or so (Terran Defender start, just got the first free ship they give you).

This game seems a bit like MORROWIND IN SPACE in that I can do pretty much anything (fly anywhere, be a total jerk, etc), but honestly the game seems kind of gigantic and I'm not really sure where to begin.

There is a pretty big thread about Terran Conflict right here on the forums:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2985240

Later in the Terran campaign missions you get three more of those little scout ships (Rapiers?) and eventually some bigger ships as well.

An easy to way to make money and maybe get more ships is to do station defense missions. Fly around and comm any stations that have a red targeting reticule icon on them. If it's a station defense mission and it's not hard or very hard difficulty, do it. The attacking ships will focus on the station and you'll have an easier time taking them down.

When fighting a small (M3, M4, M5, TS classes) ships, the pilots might sometimes abandon their ships if you damage them enough. You can then claim their ship as your own by ejecting, moving within 40m of the ship in your spacesuit, clicking the ship and selecting the "Claim" option. Repair the ship with your suit's repair laser and you can sell it for some dosh.

Terran ships can usually only mount Terran weapons, which are expensive and hard to get. You might want to switch to a new ship pretty soon. Keep your eyes out for any Argon Novas, they're excellent heavy fighters with a healthy 75MJ of shields and can mount several different weapons.

Trading is an excellent way to make money but manual trading is boring as hell. There are built-in automatic traders but they're not very good. I recommend you install the Economy and Supply Trader (EST) script and get a few traders up and running to make you some cash. The startup cost for an EST trader is about 1,5 million, but it pays for itself in the long run.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Nate RFB posted:

That shouldn't be happening, even if you did grind that wouldn't affect your speed all that significantly. That boss is supposed to be pretty easy. Maybe you should lower the game speed? Make it "Wait" instead of "Active" if you haven't already?

If you approach a guard when their back is turned, you can knock them out by pushing A or B.

There's no way to really beat around the bush, but CT is seriously one of the easiest JRPGs ever made and at no point (unless you are a completionist) should it ever require grinding. As long as you don't actively avoid every fight you should be OK.
You will make newbies feel like poo poo if you tell them about a game being easy. Tell them about beating Lavos in the palace or they should quit for losing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I apologize, but the long and short of it is that the Dragon Tank is so early in the game that there's nothing you normally can do about it. There isn't really enough time for the player to put themselves in a situation where they would be underleveled. However, a strangely low supply of Potions may press the issue I suppose. I still suggest lowering the game speed and switching to Wait if necessary.

HondaCivet, if you look at the HP/stats/levels/equipment that the characters have in this, how do yours compare?

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

10bux posted:

When should I level up?

Depends on your playing style. Can you keep meticulous track of every skill increase? Can you invest the time needed to get +5 bonuses to three skills every time you level up? And can you prevent unwanted skill increases? If the answer to those is yes, then you should check out this guide to efficient leveling which is a very tedious but very effective way of maximizing level-ups.

But if the answers to those questions are no, then just level up when you're ready. Keep in mind that you can stave off leveling by never sleeping, and in so doing the world around you will stay at the same level (monsters won't get harder, loot won't get better, skill checks won't get harder, etc.). So there are pluses and minuses either way. Sometimes it'll be worth avoiding a level-up because you're not ready to face a new class of monsters, and other times it'll be worth speeding to a certain level to unlock a new type of weapon/armor.

In your case, I would definitely not use all those level-ups at once. In fact, you've got a really great opportunity to do some rigorous training (with at least five level-ups, you can train 25 times). Just don't go too fast because you'll experience a huge jump in monster difficulty if you do.

10bux posted:

As a (melee?) fighter, your focus should be on weapons, armor, healing potions (which you should really be making yourself at this point), and then certain useful spells in whatever school you're specializing in. Loot will increase drastically in quality from what it is at level 1-5, so eventually you'll be able to afford larger purchases. You should also be pumping Armorer as much as possible so that you don't have to pay to have your own equipment repaired.

10bux posted:

I honestly never focus on trade skills (I assume you're referring to mercantile/speechcraft?) mostly because persuasion is totally pointless if you have a decent Illusion skill, and mercantile will increase pretty steadily with each purchase you make.

10bux posted:

The first and best guild to join is the Thief Guild because it'll provide access to fences who will buy stolen goods. They're virtually the only people in the game who will, and you will most likely wind up with some hot property at some point or another, so it's worth joining the guild before you leave the Imperial City for the first time.

If you have any magical aptitude at all, you should join the Mage Guild and perform the recommendation quests in the outlying guild halls ASAP. The sooner you gain access to the Arcane University and, by extension, the spellmaking and enchanting altars, the better.

If you're a fighter, you may want to perform the first few guild quests earlier rather than later, as the involve keeping team members alive and that becomes more difficult at higher levels.

If you want to join the Assassin Guild, go ahead, but be warned that most of the jobs require decent stealth and magical abilities. It's worth joining early for the free set of magic armor you get, but hold off on doing any of the quests until you're at least level 10.

10bux posted:

- At first, disease will be a constant in most dungeons so be prepared. Bring potions or learn the spell. It can really destroy you if you're not ready, and it's not feasible to return to town to get restored at the altar.
- Make sure you have some method of restoring attributes on the fly, primarily Strength, Intelligence, Endurance and Speed. All of those will often get drained or damaged by enemies, and they can severely impact your combat skills, depending on what class you are. You can accomplish this via potions or spells, but constantly trudging back to the altar in town will soon become annoying. If you plan on using Restoration for this, invest early as it levels up extremely slowly and Restore Attribute spells are both expensive, difficult to find for purchase, and usually for Journeyman level and above.
- Always keep a silver or magical weapon on you. Some monsters (like ghosts) will be immune to normal weapons, so you’ll need a silver or magically enchanted weapon to hurt them. Keep in mind that if you have a magic weapon with no charge, it will still bypass their damage resistance. Eventually, Daedric weapons will also do the trick, but you won’t run into those until level 18+.
The best way to get people to talk to you is through bribes, especially with a low speechcraft/personality/illusion score. If someone has more to say about a topic, the topic will remain gold, and you'll usually need to raise their disposition above 70 or so before they'll tell you everything.
- If you back away as your enemy swings at you, he’ll miss and stumble. This will provide a better opportunity for you to attack than if you’d stood still and taken the blow, or even blocked it with your shield. You can also block without a shield, although it won't be as effective.
- Your attacks will do less damage if your weapons are not at full health. Be sure to repair on the fly as much as possible. A general rule of thumb is to check your gear after every second or third fight (unless you’re killing rats, or sneak-killing enemies in one hit).
- You can ride horses that aren't yours as long as no one sees you get on. So if you have a high sneak skill, or hit up the local stables at night, the odds are good that you can find an isolated horse that no one's watching and just get on. You'll sometimes even see unattended horses outside of small inns or just roaming free in the wilderness because their rider has been killed. There's no reason NOT to steal these horses if no one's around. You can ride right past Imperial Guards and they won't say a word. You'll only have to worry about two things: (1) where you "park" the horse, because if you leave it in front of someone, you won't be able to re-mount the horse until they leave, and (2) how long you leave the horse unattended, since stolen horses have a tendency to wander away a minute or two after you dismount, meaning that if you go into a dungeon your stolen horse will likely be long gone by the time you get out.
- If you really have your heart set on buying a house (and let's be honest: what's the point? You get your pick of 4 different themed strongholds with the expansion, and the vanilla game has at least two free "houses" you can get just by doing quests, not to mention the free bed & storage you get as the reward for completing any faction quest except the Arena.), your best options will be the Imperial City (the cheapest house, at 2000 drakes) or Anvil (Benirus Manor, the next cheapest at 5000 and the only house with a quest). Since your house will be your main storage location for stolen goods, you may want to consider which fence you're going to deal with regularly and take up residence in that city. That way, Feather spells will actually be effective.

Also, do these quests ASAP:
- Village of Aleswell (N of the Imperial City). Everyone is invisible. Speak to the innkeeper to get the quest, which doesn't require more than a short walk. Your reward will be a permanent room in the inn with a container in which to store things. Much easier than saving up thousands of gold for a house, and then paying even more for a storage upgrade. You can literally get this within minutes of leaving the intro dungeon.
- Village of Weye (just W of the Imperial City). Aelwin will ask you to get some slaughterfish scales for him. Your compass will point you to each fish in succession, and they're a little difficult to kill but not impossible. The hardest part is learning to fight while swimming, and mages with damage-on-touch, waterbreathing or detect-life spells will have an easier go of it. The reward is a water-breathing ring, which is ridiculously handy at this stage.
- (LEVEL 2 AND ABOVE) Shrine of Azura (NNW of Cheydinhal). Bring an offering of glow dust. You’ll need to purchase the dust from an alchemist at low levels (since Will-o-Wisps don’t appear til later), but it should be fairly cheap and easy to procure. Azura’s quest will net you a soul gem that doesn’t disappear once you use the soul inside, and that can hold the highest level of souls.
- (LEVEL 10 AND ABOVE) Shrine of Nocturnal (due N of Leyawiin on the E side of the river). No offering required. Completing the quest will net you an unbreakable lockpick which pretty much breaks the game as far as money/equipment is concerned.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

Zushio posted:

Dropping a Super Bomb will also reveal any hidden breakable block on the current screen.

This is not exactly true Super Metroid, blocks that can be destroyed by power bombs will be revealed (including blocks that can be destroyed by beams and regular bombs) But they won't show you drop blocks or speed booster blocks.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Gonna play through Fallout 1 and Arcanum for the first time, what should I know about mods and poo poo that are pretty much required for these games?

I've played FO2 so I don't really need any tips for character creation/how the game works, but that kind of information would be helpful for Arcanum.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Captain Beans posted:

Gonna play through Fallout 1 and Arcanum for the first time, what should I know about mods and poo poo that are pretty much required for these games?

I've played FO2 so I don't really need any tips for character creation/how the game works, but that kind of information would be helpful for Arcanum.

Before anything else, get the Unofficial Arcanum Patch.

During the creation process you get character points which you can spend in a number of ways. You can increase your attributes, like Strength or Beauty or Perception or Willpower. You can increase your skills, like Lockpick, Melee, Repair, Heal, or Persuasion. You can learn spells and schematics. And finally you can increase derived attributes like hitpoints and fatigue. You get one character point every level (and 2 every fifth level), and the game caps out around level 50 for a total of 64 CPs.

Couple things to keep in mind when making your first character:

- Avoid selecting a background that gives you money or items. They'll become useless really quickly. Avoid backgrounds that only work in certain settings (outdoor/indoor) or at certain times of day. And on your first playthrough, I would recommend against a background with serious penalties to intelligence, beauty or charisma.
- Whatever else you want to spend your initial character points on, I would not recommend a strength/dexterity lower than 8 just because the fights may be insurmountable at first if you're not used to Arcanum's combat system. Plus, you'll need a high dexterity regardless, and you will want a minimum strength of 8 (and possibly even 12) if you plan on engaging in any kind of melee combat.
- You get to buy from a merchant during character creation. The best item to buy is the fine steel dagger. I always get the lockpick, too. After that, it depends. If you're playing a female, grab the dress that gives a reaction bonus. If you're playing a male, grab either the cheap outfit or gloves/helmet/boots. Spend all your money.

Other than that:
- Hang on to the following items: camera (crash site), matchbook/passport (crash site), letter to Jared (crash site), Molochean Hand amulet (crash site and random encounters), mithril ore, heartstone (Bedokaan village) and a shovel.
- I think these skill are useless: Heal, Gamble, Spot/Disarm Traps, Haggle, Backstab/Prowling.
- I think these skills are essential: Repair, Pick Locks and Persuasion.
- I personally think the most effective character is a lockpicking, charismatic, gunsmithing tech. Most people will say that it's a Harm-casting mage. They are wrong, but it's really just personal preference.

And some quest advice (I have tried not to spoil anything):
- When removing Lucan from the bridge outside Shrouded Hills, be sure to “persuade” him you’re in the Thieves Underground (kill him afterward if you want). That will give you an in with the thieves in Tarant.
- When you’re in Dernholm, make sure to ask Lianna del Par about her father. Do this before visiting the Isle of Despair.
- Keep an eye on the newspaper headlines (in Tarant and Caladon, there will be paperboys shouting them on every corner). Every now and then, you’ll see one which will trigger a quest, like “Anarchist workers take over factory.” Just buy the paper, check out the story and figure out what to do.
- In Tarant, complete the Garringsburg heist quest before completing Dolores Beston’s/Madame Toussaud’s quest. You’ll get a better reward. And always side with Toussaud.
- While in Tarant, be sure to talk to Thom Grak in the middle of the city, then talk to de Cesare in the Gentleman’s Club. It’s optional, but sparks one of the more interesting quests in the game.
- Speak to Erlich in the Wheel clan, and be sure to acquire the schematic for the key from him. This is what you need the mithril/heartstone for.
- When you talk to Randver in the Wheel clan, engage him about Dwarven philosophy. He’ll tip his hand. Be sure to ask him about Lorek. Ask Loghaire about Lorek as well.
- When you find the coffin beneath the First Panarii Temple in Caladon, be sure to examine the coffin lid before you leave the dungeon.
- When it’s time to go to Thanatos, you can either pay a lot of money for passage or you can get your own ship. Getting the ship is more complicated, but worth it since you can travel to virtually any city for free from that point on.
- You should be at least level 40 before delivering the Device to the Ring, since that will launch the end-game, and not only will you face much more difficult enemies but you won’t be able to return to the main world map. You can expect to gain about 2-3 levels during the endgame, so you might want to take the time to pause and max out your level before heading out.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Nate RFB posted:

I apologize, but the long and short of it is that the Dragon Tank is so early in the game that there's nothing you normally can do about it. There isn't really enough time for the player to put themselves in a situation where they would be underleveled. However, a strangely low supply of Potions may press the issue I suppose. I still suggest lowering the game speed and switching to Wait if necessary.

HondaCivet, if you look at the HP/stats/levels/equipment that the characters have in this, how do yours compare?

OK, I beat him . . I did switch it to "Wait" and that seemed to help. Part of it I think is that the text is really small and hard-to-read so it's hard for me to snap to the right enemy/bodypart quickly enough, and if you gently caress up and hit the body instead of the head you kind of waste a turn. I haven't played many RPGs but the one I've beaten is FF XIII which does require some reflexes so I'm kind of baffled as to why this battle was a problem. It's not a super-hard fight but there isn't a ton of room for error either since you don't really have any healers.

Did the original game have both Active and Wait as options? If it's meant to be played with Active instead of Wait then I'll try to get used to it, or get an XL so I can read the drat text (am I really that old?).

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

HondaCivet posted:

Did the original game have both Active and Wait as options?

It did. (I've only played the original, mainly because I don't care for the DS additions.)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

OK, I beat him . . I did switch it to "Wait" and that seemed to help. Part of it I think is that the text is really small and hard-to-read so it's hard for me to snap to the right enemy/bodypart quickly enough, and if you gently caress up and hit the body instead of the head you kind of waste a turn. I haven't played many RPGs but the one I've beaten is FF XIII which does require some reflexes so I'm kind of baffled as to why this battle was a problem. It's not a super-hard fight but there isn't a ton of room for error either since you don't really have any healers.

Did the original game have both Active and Wait as options? If it's meant to be played with Active instead of Wait then I'll try to get used to it, or get an XL so I can read the drat text (am I really that old?).

The original had a choice but, really, Active is about a thousand times better. The game is not difficult in the slightest, but it is an old school RPG, so weakpoints, and elemental weaknesses/absorption are a big deal.

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 4, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I always played Square ATB games with Wait on and the gauge speed set to fastest. It still slows the game down a bit, but I don't like being pressured into making my decisions, I'd play an actual real time game if I wanted to feel that kind of pressure. Sometimes I just like to stop, mull over my options, and take my time to make sure no mistakes are made, and I hate the idea that you'll never be able to utilize your time 100% efficiently on active.

Maybe I'm not playing the games the way they're meant to, but I guess I just prefer full-on turn based systems to ATB systems, which is why I always enjoy playing on Wait more.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I'm sure this is a long shot, but King of Dragon Pass, anyone?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Alright, I've played Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, etc, all of the great SNES RPG's, except for... Earthbound. I played it but never got into it and the furthest I recall getting was the arcade boss? I think i'll attempt a playthrough finally. Any tips before I embark?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Robawesome posted:

Alright, I've played Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, etc, all of the great SNES RPG's, except for... Earthbound. I played it but never got into it and the furthest I recall getting was the arcade boss? I think i'll attempt a playthrough finally. Any tips before I embark?
-In the beginning of the game you can get a free hat for Ness by finding the treehouse (it's in a heavily wooded area near the library, you have to find the hidden entrance)
-You don't really ever need to grind after the beginning (your arcade boss), but if you are ever so inclined, wait until you beat a shining spot boss - after its dead all the monsters in the dungeon will run away from you, giving you easy back attacks and auto-wins
-Those butterflies you see flying around restore your PP
-Hope you're playing on an emulator because fast-forward + auto-battle (your guys even heal themselves) make normal encounters much less painful
-If you get a mushroom on your head, you can get rid of it by talking to the purple haired guy in a hospital
-The only button you need to play the game is the L button which acts as a sort of context-sensitive everything button. This makes the dragon quest menu thing a lot less obnoxious
-Talk to townspeople, they are pretty funny
-If you want some extra spending money early on, buy a bunch of eggs at the twoson flea market or happy happy village, wait until they turn into chickens, and sell them. This isn't really necessary
-You can repair the broken items you find by putting them in Jeff's inventory and resting

e: also check the wiki there are a few other things. I envy you for being able to play Earthbound for the first time.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 4, 2010

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
When you get to the diamond mine, kill the third strongest mole last for a secret item.

eyebrow
Aug 17, 2008
Any suggestions for Dragon Age? I haven't started it yet. I also have the expansion and the DLC, if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Luisfe posted:

Any tips for a total newbie at Red Orchestra?

Killing someone gets you one point. Capturing an objective gets you 10 points.

If you can get to an objective then get into the capture zone (you'll see the bars come up at the bottom of the screen) then get there, get behind some cover and wait for it to be captured.

While bayonetting and carefully sniping at far-off pixels is a good tactic, there's nothing wrong with a submachine gun rush. If the enemy team are sniping from a trench or bunker and you can rush in and gun them down in a hail of bullets, all the better.

Also, semi-auto rifles rock. It's probably best to leave the machinegunner/squad leader roles to people who know the maps though - your team will hate you if you're an MG/squad leader and you gently caress up.