Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
http://www.ravelry.com/people/Media/favorites

Goons I need your help, I have no idea what I should knit next so you should all make suggestions from my favourites for what I should knit next. Skill level and cost of the pattern are nothing to be concerned about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/town-and-city-tufted-cape

I'm in love with that, it'd just look terrible on me unless I suddenly can convince my doctor to let me get a reduction.

Also there's about 70 pairs of socks in there I want to wear - Koolhaas and Daybreak also spring to mind.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Look Under The Rock posted:

Socks!

I'm working on Ann Campbell's Circle Socks and so far it's a pretty fun, easy pattern. The circles make a nice stretchy leg if you're having trouble with bagginess, plus it uses an eye of the partridge heel and modified star toe, which you might not have used before, and may find you like the fit better.

Now for my FO spam, because with all the free time I have this summer I'm getting a lot more knitting done.

Second pair of Prairie Boots. I love the color of this yarn much more than my first pair, plus I ad hoc'd a lining with some Brushed Suri which is just exquisitely soft. Plus I finally got down to Button Button in Vancouver and got some awesome buttons (sewing the buttons on took about as long as knitting the slippers, yeesh). The foot's a little baggy but they're for lounging around the house, so I'm ok with that.

An Abrazo for my Mumsy's birthday. I liked this design a lot because I prefer smaller shawlettes, but the short row shaping gave it a nice elongated shape without using too much yarn. My first project with beads! I'm officially a convert.

Bonus cupcake for a friend's birthday:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

It does indeed have a hook, and the best informational videos I've seen are from ones without hooks. That's actually what's confusing me. I think I make halfage (? it SOUNDS like what most people are saying but I will read more to be clear on that) and put it on the hook instead of in the notch at the top (notch if it didn't have a hook, anyway) and pretty much do the same. I haven't had much time to figure it out yet because I am also at work, however. :)

A 'half-hitch'. With a hook on the top, you don't need a half-hitch at all. In fact, if you want, you can even get away without using a leader.

With a leader: take a long length of store-bought yarn. You can either tie it in a loop or tie a square knot directly to the shaft beneath the whorl. Spiral that up the shaft, then catch it in the hook. You're ready to go!

Without a leader: pinch out and draft some fiber. Put the hook through middle of it. Gently put some twist in, drafting out a bit as you go till you have a foot or two. (This doesn't need to be even or neat) Detach from top of the hook, pinching it so the twist doesn't escape. Tie the square knot beneath the whorl , then spiral up the shaft and catch in hook.

The only real difference is one has you using a premade leader, and the other you make the leader first.

Here's two links that can help.

This one shows the without a leader technique, though it's on a Turkish drop spindle. You can get an idea of what I'm talking about though.

This one is just some tips and tricks, and has some pretty pictures of what's going on.

If you can get it from a library, Request the Spindle by Franquemont is a really really good read for the beginner, has beautiful and detailed pictures. It deals more with top whorl than bottom (which I found a little sad), but techniques apply to both, and she does show how to attach leaders for both types.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Drei posted:

*tons of FOs*

Those are awesome! I especially like those slipper boots. And the shawl is just amazing; lovely colour, beadwork (I still haven't tried that), and a good shape.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Look Under The Rock posted:

I need a decent sock pattern. I knit my first pair of socks from a really simple pattern, and they turned out okay, but they were very loose and baggy and honestly kind of sloppy looking.

I'm working on a second pair with that same pattern just because I want to get the hang of turning a heel, but I'd really like to make socks that look nice. Anyone have a favorite sock pattern?

I've been knitting these Globe Trotter Socks as my first pair of socks. It's fairly easy but it looks nice with the seed rib stitch.

I've been knitting them up in the smaller size though and they're REALLY tight to get on. My foot is a size 6 1/2 so I have no clue whats going on. I would try going a needle size up or just do the bigger size.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I know there are a few spinners in this thread, so I was wondering if anyone else is planning on doing the Tour de Fleece this year? It's a nearly month long event of spinning every day of the Tour de France (except on the rest days). I may have over committed myself by joining a team with the goal of processing and spinning a pound of raw fleece before end.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

What do you do when your favorite LYS switches gears? My favorite is discounting most of the yarn, books and needles this month to get rid of supplies and won't be doing open knitting or knitting classes anymore. I can understand why the owner doesn't want to associate with knitting anymore, but it's sad. The only other highly rated shop is about a half hour away :(

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?

FelicityGS posted:

I know there are a few spinners in this thread, so I was wondering if anyone else is planning on doing the Tour de Fleece this year? It's a nearly month long event of spinning every day of the Tour de France (except on the rest days). I may have over committed myself by joining a team with the goal of processing and spinning a pound of raw fleece before end.

Probably joining on team Lantern Rouge - not necessarily spinning all of the days, but heartily encouraging those who do. I can't promise myself I'll keep up when there's schoolwork to do. Plus, since I don't like spindles as much as my wheel, I can't spin in class.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Windy posted:

What do you do when your favorite LYS switches gears? My favorite is discounting most of the yarn, books and needles this month to get rid of supplies and won't be doing open knitting or knitting classes anymore. I can understand why the owner doesn't want to associate with knitting anymore, but it's sad. The only other highly rated shop is about a half hour away :(

Our favorite yarn shop is looking for new ownership, evidently. It's run by these two old ladies who are totally sweet and completely helpful (when I wanted to learn to knit socks, they sat down and explained every step of the process). I really hope the new owners do right by the store!

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Plus, since I don't like spindles as much as my wheel, I can't spin in class.

People actually spin in class? That seems really weird and rude.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Windy posted:

If it's getting rid of the yarn/books/needles then what the hell is it turning into? :psyduck:

All of the knitting stores near me closed down. I have to wait till I'm out of state next week to finally visit one. :smithicide:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Windy posted:

Are there high incidences of knitting related violence in your town or something? Are wild motorcycle gangs TPing people's houses with acrylic and then stabbing a pair of 12mm needles in the front lawn as a calling card?

Is it just turning into a generic craft shop?

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Wandering Knitter posted:

If it's getting rid of the yarn/books/needles then what the hell is it turning into? :psyduck:

All of the knitting stores near me closed down. I have to wait till I'm out of state next week to finally visit one. :smithicide:

The owner wants to start loom weaving and spinning again apparently. I know that there will be some stock of yarn, but nothing like what she has now. At least I'll get some deals on supplies that I need.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

^^^ Maybe it's a good time to learn to spin? Then you can make exactly the yarn you want. :cool:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

elbow posted:

I'll knit in class, as long as it's lecture based, but I've never been able to spin during class. I just feel awkward. The knitting I can keep in my lap and not draw attention to. Spindle spinning not so much.

And as mentioned, Windy, you should totally learn to spin. It's addictive, but it does help me from buying so much yarn. I just buy fiber now.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I'd really love to spin, but I need to scale back on some other hobbies first. My apartment hasn't any room left for storing supplies.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

FelicityGS posted:

I'll knit in class, as long as it's lecture based, but I've never been able to spin during class. I just feel awkward. The knitting I can keep in my lap and not draw attention to. Spindle spinning not so much.

And as mentioned, Windy, you should totally learn to spin. It's addictive, but it does help me from buying so much yarn. I just buy fiber now.

10+ years ago when I was in college, there was a girl that knit in English Lit class. I found it SO DISTRACTING because she sat in the front row, and the knitting was far more interesting than the lecture (to me). Thank god she actually participated in discussion and was smart, or I might have hit her in the head with a hammer.

I actually credit her with why I finally learned to knit myself a few months back. It only took 10+ years of that image festering in my brain.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I used to knit in every class I took in college. That's probably why I did so badly. :v:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I try to participate so no one hates me, especially not the teachers. And I make an effort of stopping to take notes. I just have to do something with my hands these days or I go crazy!

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004

elbow posted:

Hah. I was just kidding. I knit in class but would never spin. THAT would be distracting. Luckily I go to a silly artsy school where none of my teachers care that i knit in class, and actually seem to encourage it.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I knit in class, and sometimes my classes are even about knitting!

(Fibers major here)

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Jealous! There's a textiles program at my roommates college that I peeked in on once. It's like my alternate universe life path, I figure.

Although I do still plan to have a fiber farm, someday

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Jealous! There's a textiles program at my roommates college that I peeked in on once. It's like my alternate universe life path, I figure.

Although I do still plan to have a fiber farm, someday

Same here! I didn't find out that my old college had a fiber arts program until it was too late. Yeah, my parents would have flipped out but a lot good my Anthropology degree did and :words:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I used to knit during A level biology; made a huge brightly coloured poncho and the teacher didn't seem to care. He didn't seem to care about a lot of things, which probably explains his class's dismal grades.

Don't think I could get away with knitting at art school this September though. Ceramic design is going to be too messy :saddowns:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

It's only after I switched my major and entered my senior year that I discovered that there are THREE textiles/fiber arts schools where I used to live before university. If only I'd looked harder.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004

Same here! I didn't find out that my old college had a fiber arts program until it was too late. Yeah, my parents would have flipped out but a lot good my Anthropology degree did and :words:

Bwah?! I too have an anthropology degree! Towards which my parents have a similar viewpoint!

But, y'know, after graduating i went to film school, which, good lord i will never get a job.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Bwah?! I too have an anthropology degree! Towards which my parents have a similar viewpoint!

Ah, if only I could go back in time and kneecap myself.

I mean, I still wouldn't have a job but could you imagine the awesome yarn I could make?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I wouldn't say my school is the top notch or anything, but there's always grad school I figure.

Edit: Has anyone knit the Kangaroo Tunis? I wanted to knit it as my first "sweater" but the bust measurements are absurd! It says a large is 34". Is there a typo there or am I misunderstanding something?

WAIT I'M NOT DONE. Can someone who's a math genius help me find how to make the Sunshine sweater for a 36" bust? It's original pattern is for 34" and then in the comments it has it for a 38-40" bust...which I am neither. I'm apprehensive to knit it up in a 40", and the pattern is 3 years old so I'm not sure about emailing the creator.

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 4, 2010

Etoniichuan
Oct 27, 2005

FelicityGS posted:

I like Kitchener stitch too. Also, drat. I should just sell the crocheted squid I made out of acrylic to the indies!

Hey I made a squid too!

Also this Cthulu!

Etoniichuan fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 4, 2010

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Etoniichuan posted:

Hey I made a squid too!

Also this Cthulu!

Your squid looks way more deadly than mine, but that Cthulu is the cutest thing!

Shnooks I suck at any time of fixing of bust measurements, and this is part of why I never knit sweaters. For the first, ask the creator; hopefully they don't realize it's off. For the other, see if you can contact anyone whose done the stuff for a 38-40" about how they did the math, so maybe you can do it for a 36".

Or just use short rows and try it on obsessively.

felgs fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 4, 2010

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

FelicityGS posted:

Your squid looks way more deadly than mine, but that Cthulu is the cutest thing!

Shnooks I suck at any time of fixing of bust measurements, and this is part of why I never knit sweaters. For the first, ask the creator; hopefully they don't realize it's off. For the other, see if you can contact anyone whose done the stuff for a 38-40" about how they did the math, so maybe you can do it for a 36".

Or just use short rows and try it on obsessively.

They explained the math but it was absolutely beyond me. I can make change for people and that's about it.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Shnooks posted:

They explained the math but it was absolutely beyond me. I can make change for people and that's about it.

Could you post what the math they told you? I could try and give it a go.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

FelicityGS posted:

Could you post what the math they told you? I could try and give it a go.

it was in a KAL, and re-reading it over I think it was just for adjusting the gauge? I'll post it anyways...

quote:

If you divide your number of sts, by the number of called on sts, that will give you the yarn ratio. (i.e. 5sts / 4 sts = 1.25) than that your ration (1.25) and multiply that by the called for number of sts and there you go. (i.e. Pattern says CO 45. 451.25= 56.25, So CO 56, or 57 Depending on if you need an even number for whatever reason)

Course, If you’re resizing as well, i don’t know if the ratio will help you or not. But you could rewrite the pattern for your gauge, then take the resizing from there… might save a step or something.

These are also the instructions for the 38-40" bust.

quote:

…to fit a size 38-40 bust Using the long tail method, and size 6 needles, cast on 60 stitches. Purl first row placing markers (SM = sleeve markers, LM = lace inset markers) as follows: p4, SM, p2, LM, p6, LM, p2, SM, p32, SM, p2, LM, p6, LM, p2, SM, p4.

I emailed the creator anyways, maybe she'll get back to me

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Etoniichuan posted:

Also this Cthulu!

For the love of everything good and holy tell me you wrote down a pattern.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I think that is just adjusting for gauge. So you need to know how many stitches per inch you do in that yarn. Then, take that number and multiply it by your stitches per inch and round accordingly. That must make it so you can do the same instructions without having to do anything else, since you'll have a size adjusted for you.

I don't think I quite get their reasoning, though, because if you get the same gauge as the writer, then it'll just stay the same.

What I'd suggest is figure out how many stitches you need at exactly 36" for it to fit you. Maybe knit the lace panel to see how it would affect that total (it may block so you'd need fewer stitches). You'll want to add an inch or two for ease, cause it looks like a slightly loose fit. Once you have that Master Number, about two-three inches below the widest part of your breast, start sneaking in your increases so that you hit that number.

That lace panel makes it a little tricky to say exactly what that number would be though. Hopefully the creator does get back to you.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

FelicityGS posted:

I think that is just adjusting for gauge. So you need to know how many stitches per inch you do in that yarn. Then, take that number and multiply it by your stitches per inch and round accordingly. That must make it so you can do the same instructions without having to do anything else, since you'll have a size adjusted for you.

I don't think I quite get their reasoning, though, because if you get the same gauge as the writer, then it'll just stay the same.

What I'd suggest is figure out how many stitches you need at exactly 36" for it to fit you. Maybe knit the lace panel to see how it would affect that total (it may block so you'd need fewer stitches). You'll want to add an inch or two for ease, cause it looks like a slightly loose fit. Once you have that Master Number, about two-three inches below the widest part of your breast, start sneaking in your increases so that you hit that number.

That lace panel makes it a little tricky to say exactly what that number would be though. Hopefully the creator does get back to you.

If I need an inch or two for ease, should I just knit it in 38" then?

Thanks for the help though. I understand what you're saying much better than the other explanations

Etoniichuan
Oct 27, 2005

For the love of everything good and holy tell me you wrote down a pattern.

Well just the head, and its kind of in my brainless shorthand. I am kind of swamped, but I will try to get all of it written down this week.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Shnooks posted:

If I need an inch or two for ease, should I just knit it in 38" then?

Thanks for the help though. I understand what you're saying much better than the other explanations

Knitting the 38", since it's been done, would be the easy way to do it. I don't think it would look bad with that little extra, but I like my pullovers to be loose enough to wear t-shirts under.

I'm glad I was making some sense; fitting sweaters can be a total pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

FelicityGS posted:

Knitting the 38", since it's been done, would be the easy way to do it. I don't think it would look bad with that little extra, but I like my pullovers to be loose enough to wear t-shirts under.

I'm glad I was making some sense; fitting sweaters can be a total pain.

Yeah, I always wear tshirts or long sleeve shirts under sweaters, so I wasn't sure if I should just do it and wing it. I like my clothing a bit loose, also.

Thanks, I'll do that then :)