Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
What did I do to my r34 today? Nothing. I'm still waiting on the last part to arrive so I can get it on the road. It needs the front left headlight.

I ordered a pair of Xenon's in March but they keep sending me the wrong one.

It's really painful to have the car ready to drive apart from one part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bung
Dec 14, 2004

On the WRX I rotated the tires/ While the wheels were off I cleaned inside the fenders and the backs of the wheels. Nest I washed, clay barred, waxed and treated the tires. It rained about an hour later.

On the 9-3 I used the Meguiars headlight restore kit.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

trouser chili posted:

Wow, I haven't seen one in such nice shape in a long long time. Tell more about it.

It's a '91 LX with about 271,000 miles on it, but the speedo doesn't work so it's certainly higher. It is *extremely* clean and was obviously well-kept, it even has the factory cassette player in it. There are a few niggles here and there, to be expected with a car of its age, the power mirrors & one of the windows doesn't work, engine sounds pretty good but the lifters tick. Alignment is good and the tranny is butter. All in all I'm very happy with it, and even though I bought it at a dealer I only got screwed over a little bit. :)

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Synonamess Botch posted:

It's a '91 LX with about 271,000 miles on it, but the speedo doesn't work so it's certainly higher. It is *extremely* clean and was obviously well-kept, it even has the factory cassette player in it. There are a few niggles here and there, to be expected with a car of its age, the power mirrors & one of the windows doesn't work, engine sounds pretty good but the lifters tick. Alignment is good and the tranny is butter. All in all I'm very happy with it, and even though I bought it at a dealer I only got screwed over a little bit. :)

When was the belt last done? Unless you have a service paper with the VIN and date/mileage on it, assume the worst.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Wow, there is no-way I would have expected 271,000 miles. I'd have figured more like 27,000 at most, and no rust!

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

trouser chili posted:

Wow, there is no-way I would have expected 271,000 miles. I'd have figured more like 27,000 at most, and no rust!

Bonk it with some ultra-magnets wrapped in tape, prolly some bondo.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

trouser chili posted:

Wow, I haven't seen one in such nice shape in a long long time. Tell more about it.
These are awesome cars.

I re-soldered the solder joints in the EFI main relay from my wife's 2000 Honda Accord. This is a pretty common part to fail on Honda Accord and Civics from the mid 1980s all the way through to the early 2000s.

I also re-soldered some solder joints in the automatic climate control in that Intrepid I bought recently in an effort to make the display come back to life. The controls all work, but the display is blank so it is hard to tell if the AC is on or if the system is set to recirculate.

We shall see tonight if the Intrepid ATC fix worked. The repair on the Accord won't really show results for a while since the problem is intermittent. It has only manifested itself twice, both on very hot days when the car was parked outside in the sun.

A while back my mower wouldn't start. I didn't have a lot of time to look at it, and whenever I had time no one was around to pull the starter cord so I could check for spark. I borrowed my mom's mower a few times.

In the mean time my father-in-law's mower broke a wheel. His mower was nearly identical to mine. He went to Sears and they wanted something like $100 for a pair of wheels. So he bought a new mower.

He gave me his old mower. First I tried to swap the wheels but they didn't fit. So I swapped over the height adjustment mechanisms and everything bolted together like How It's Made.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

trouser chili posted:

That's Alabama for you, there are a lot of old cars down here that look pristine. This one isn't perfect, faded paint here and there, but yeah when I saw 271k I was like :wth:

Sponge! posted:

When was the belt last done? Unless you have a service paper with the VIN and date/mileage on it, assume the worst.

No service records so I'm assuming the worst. I'm planning on doing it just as soon as I have the time.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Synonamess Botch posted:

That's Alabama for you, there are a lot of old cars down here that look pristine. This one isn't perfect, faded paint here and there, but yeah when I saw 271k I was like :wth:

No service records so I'm assuming the worst. I'm planning on doing it just as soon as I have the time.

Do the water pump too of course, and hell, do the head-gasket if you're feeling daring.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

PBCrunch posted:

I re-soldered the solder joints in the EFI main relay from my wife's 2000 Honda Accord. This is a pretty common part to fail on Honda Accord and Civics from the mid 1980s all the way through to the early 2000s.

I also re-soldered some solder joints in the automatic climate control in that Intrepid I bought recently in an effort to make the display come back to life. The controls all work, but the display is blank so it is hard to tell if the AC is on or if the system is set to recirculate.

We shall see tonight if the Intrepid ATC fix worked. The repair on the Accord won't really show results for a while since the problem is intermittent. It has only manifested itself twice, both on very hot days when the car was parked outside in the sun.
Honda main relay seems to be OK. I put it back in the car on my lunch break yesterday and left it parked with no shade with the windows up. It started up like clockwork after sitting in the hot sun for three hours.

The repair on the auto HVAC control display on the Intrepid was not successful. I found another one on car-part.com for $35 shipped that should be here Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Just found out the company I was about to order my new air intake from for my RDX is actually on my way home from a business trip today. Looks like I should be able to just pick it up on the way back and install it this weekend. Excited for all the whooooshing that will ensue. The 19whp gain won't be bad either.

Edit: Damnit, they're out of stock on it and probably won't get it until their next truck in 3 weeks. Looks like no fun for me this weekend.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 2, 2010

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

PBCrunch posted:

Honda main relay seems to be OK. I put it back in the car on my lunch break yesterday and left it parked with no shade with the windows up. It started up like clockwork after sitting in the hot sun for three hours.

So is the main relay the reason why my Accord has been taking 10 seconds of cranking to start after sitting in the sun all day?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Coasterphreak posted:

So is the main relay the reason why my Accord has been taking 10 seconds of cranking to start after sitting in the sun all day?

I'm wondering if this is my brother's problem as well. He has a '98 Accord, and his car randomly dies sometimes and we haven't been able to figure out why. I do know that when turning his ignition on, sometimes it clicks very rapidly before switching on. Thoughts?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Coasterphreak posted:

Probably not, possibly, but probably not. Check the plugs/wires/cap/rotor then replace the fuel filter and make sure the carbon evap can is plumbed right.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Got it fitted with a new clear bra. In the bay next to me at the tint place was a brand new 9-kilometer Ford Raptor SVT which was getting a smaller, less expensive clear bra than me. :(

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

replaced my serpentine belt

AKA, baby's first car project.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
New car so i cleaned and waxed it.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Highest Cactus posted:

replaced my serpentine belt

AKA, baby's first car project.

:hfive: that's one of my favorite things to do. Something about looping the belt around all the accessories just so is just kind of fun.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

On my wife's 2000 Honda Accord EX five-speed I changed the oil and filter. I wanted to change the mantran fluid, but the filler plug was frozen. Getting to the vehicle speed sensor, another possible place to fill the transmission, was too much work so I skipped it. I know the fluid was changed out around 30k miles ago anyway. I will replace the fluid in the event that the VSS needs to be removed for replacement.

The brake fluid level sensor is bad, so sometimes the brake light is on for no reason. I had ordered a new sensor and I put it in yesterday. The cap was very easy to replace and now the brake light is off.

Her car has some seatbelt buckles that are faulty and set off the SRS light. There is a recall from Honda for this, but they won't fix her car because it has a salvage title. So I got some junkyard buckles from a car built after the recall. I had to pull the seats to be able to replace the seat belt buckles. Of course once the seats were pulled I had to detail the area under the seats. I vacuumed and used Tough Stuff carpet cleaner and got the carpet under the seats looking really nice. There had been a big soda spill and the carpet cleaner did an excellent job cleaning it up.

It has been a long time since the car has seen a coat of wax, so I washed it, ran my Griot's clay bar over it, and hit it with a coating of Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax. It is not the greatest wax ever but it goes on easy, buffs off easy, and lasts a long time in my experience. I also put some purple gel tire shine on the tires and hit the exterior glass with Rain-X (except the rear view mirrors). I cleaned the inside glass with Stoner's Invisible Glass and the Stoner's interior glass cleaning tool.

Today it is pouring rain. Oh well, at least the car has a good coat of wax on it.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

CornHolio posted:

:hfive: that's one of my favorite things to do. Something about looping the belt around all the accessories just so is just kind of fun.
I HATE serpentine belts. I like separate accessory belts, like having one for the alternator and power steering and a separate one for the AC pump. And MANUAL TENSIONERS. The automatic ones always love to snap back and scare the poo poo out of me.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Serp belts are a godsend for every possible criteria of belt performance. Transverse belt routing can be somewhat scary, but it would be with a Vee belt anyway.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I took the LS400 a couple hundred miles to pick up some tires. 15 year old V8-powered mammoth on cruise control? 27.9mpg? Awesome.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
I replaced the water pump, starter and battery and the bitch still wont start. Can't hear the fuel pump engage when I turn the key, so it looks like I'll be dropping the tank to replace that sometime soon.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
New spark plugs in the TT. On Tuesday it gets dropped off at the shop to have the Haldex fluid and engine oil changed. I don't like fluids. :(

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Sponge! posted:

Probably not, possibly, but probably not. Check the plugs/wires/cap/rotor then replace the fuel filter and make sure the carbon evap can is plumbed right.

Already done everything on that list except the blasted evap can, the lines to that thing are stuck on harder than an ebay spoiler.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How about what I plan to do?

Cause I'm gonna roll the loving thing into the street and light the fucker on fire.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Replaced the front pads and rotors on my Jeep. Went pretty well, but had to run to the store because they sold me the wrong pads. :argh:

Tried to bleed the brakes because the fluid is horrible and brown... Yeah... Didn't work so well. Was able to finally get the air out after the loving tubing came out three goddamn times. Think I might take it in for bleeding - I don't have a tool to bleed the ABS anyway. :sigh:

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I lowered the Stang! 1.5" drop with new shocks, struts, springs, and caster/camber plates

before with stock suspension

after with new suspension

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Which wheels are those? They look like one of the wheels that comes on the 2011 V6 Stang.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

The left highbeam on my car refused to work so after some google-fu today I concluded that there was a glitchy connection in the lamp control box which needed to be soldered. I promptly ran out and bought a soldering iron and a roll of tin and proceeded to solder the bad connection. I now have two functioning highbeams, plus the highbeam symbol on the dashboard lights up now which it didn't before. Definitely a lot cheaper than getting a new lamp control box. I was also was mildly surprised that it worked, must have been the first time in 20 years or so since I last soldered something.

Heh... I fixed something. :smug:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Gave the interior of the Land Rover Discovery a good ol' clean. First she's ever gotten since previous owner, so the interior was 90% dog hair, 10% crisp packets.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

Which wheels are those? They look like one of the wheels that comes on the 2011 V6 Stang.

they are the FR500 wheels. the v6 just copied me years later ;)

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I swapped out the AC compressor on my 1995 Lexus SC400. I still need to replace the receiver/drier and take the car in to have the system vacuumed out and refilled with oil and R-134a.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Heh... I fixed something. :smug:

I didn't even look to the left, but I knew this was SAAB related before I recognized you. drat that goddamn orange relay and the box. You might check the relay for hairline cracks as well. Once I resoldered the terminals on the relay, mine's been solid. Going on over a year, now.

I ended up peering into my console today to see if by willpower alone I could magically replace the continuing-to-raise dead bulbs and (now) blown center speaker. I'll let you know how that progresses, but so far it hasn't magically fixed itself.

For the summer, though, I may just ignore that and get this sun green 9-3 convertible I've had my eye on. Even got a personalized plate picked out for it: "WASAABI". :3:

Bled the brakes in the 2K8 again this last weekend. Stops much better than it did, but still not on part with the 2K despite very similar weights and exactly the same kit, now. Honestly, I'm not sure what else to look for/at. Rotors don't even have 10k on em, they're great. Pads don't even have 400mi on them yet. OEM pads were at 8k, but not worn at all - just no stopping power. :argh:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I put seats from a del Sol in my 1995 Acura Integra SE.

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

ssh posted:

I didn't even look to the left, but I knew this was SAAB related before I recognized you. drat that goddamn orange relay and the box. You might check the relay for hairline cracks as well. Once I resoldered the terminals on the relay, mine's been solid. Going on over a year, now.

I ended up peering into my console today to see if by willpower alone I could magically replace the continuing-to-raise dead bulbs and (now) blown center speaker. I'll let you know how that progresses, but so far it hasn't magically fixed itself.

For the summer, though, I may just ignore that and get this sun green 9-3 convertible I've had my eye on. Even got a personalized plate picked out for it: "WASAABI". :3:

Bled the brakes in the 2K8 again this last weekend. Stops much better than it did, but still not on part with the 2K despite very similar weights and exactly the same kit, now. Honestly, I'm not sure what else to look for/at. Rotors don't even have 10k on em, they're great. Pads don't even have 400mi on them yet. OEM pads were at 8k, but not worn at all - just no stopping power. :argh:

It's amazing how many little defects and annoyances that reveal themselves as a car grows old. As far as these things go the lamp control thing was surprisingly easily amendable, the hardest part about it was prying the drat thing out of that orange plastic housing. The little circuit board didn't have any visible cracks or fractures on it at all, but as you mentioned I resoldered the terminals and as if by magic the highbeams now work.

I also got oil and filters changed today, so that's one less thing to worry about for a year or two. Now if I could only get the loving air conditioning to work... :v:

Hope you can get a nice deal on the 9-3 drop top, driving around right now I feel like I'm melting most of the time so I can't imagine how nice it must be to be cruising around in a convertible.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Hope you can get a nice deal on the 9-3 drop top, driving around right now I feel like I'm melting most of the time so I can't imagine how nice it must be to be cruising around in a convertible.

It honestly doesn't take much to be too hot for a convertible, especially in traffic.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

meatpimp posted:

I took the LS400 a couple hundred miles to pick up some tires. 15 year old V8-powered mammoth on cruise control? 27.9mpg? Awesome.

I stopped looking at these because from what I've read/gathered, they got pretty abysmal mileage (</=20mpg). Am I to believe that you can reliably achieve that mileage, or were you doing some hypermiling crap like drafting semis the entire time?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I am pretty sure that is a bad calculation because my 1995 Lexus SC400 which I am pretty sure weighs a little less and has better aero has the same motor and I have never seen any better than 22 mpg on the freeway. V-8, heavy car, automatic transmission and RWD pretty much guarantees poor gas mileage.

I changed the receiver/drier in my 1995 Lexus SC400. I also put the timing belt and spark plug covers back on. I just need to take the car to a shop to have the system evacuated and filled with oil and refrigerant. A black car with black leather interior is not fun at all on 95*F days with 85% humidity. gently caress you Nebraska summers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001
Curbed the poo poo out of my front lip, in my own driveway no less. :(

At least it's cheap, and I already ate a rusty hubcap right under the fog light on the other side at about 70mph. That left some nice 10" radial grooves, so I was planning on replacing the bumper anyway.

I don't think I can handle the minor stresses of a new car. I'm thinking my next will be some Mad Max-looking thing so I don't get an ulcer fretting over rock chips and wear spots.