Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Pardot posted:

I'm trying Babylon 5 with some other people. So far we've made it through the first movie and the first dvd — 4 episodes. I've heard so many people say it was great that I want to give it a shot. So what episode should I make it to before making the decision to give up or not?

Episode 8 (And the Sky Full of Stars) is the first one I consider particularly good and clearly is setting up story arcs, the show really starts to take off with Episode 13 (Signs and Portents).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I bought the complete Six Feet Under last month and am now on series 5.

I do love it a lot, even if its obsession with being hip, ironic and precious sometimes makes it a little predictable (oh look, three fatties and a trim guy on a set of treadmills! I wonder which one's about to die!!).

But seriously, it has some of the best writing and acting in history. The episode with Michael Weston as a kidnapper is nothing short of a masterpiece.

Oh, and also FlashForward just for some weird sense of completion. What a horribly tragic waste of a good premise and great cast. Although I do love Courtney B Vance and Joseph Fiennes hamming it up, makes for some weirdly great chemistry.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Oh, please come back to tell us your reaction to the SFU finale.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Indecline posted:

Father Ted (kinda so-so on this one)

What the gently caress man, its genius.

MrSaxamaphone
Nov 1, 2004

You know you wanna tap that...
True Blood - went through 1 and 2 over the weekend. I'm terrible about binging.

I'd like to recommend to anyone who hasn't binged through an amazing series to give The Shield a shot.

Indecline
Sep 5, 2003

eat my butt into smithereens

LE0N posted:

What the gently caress man, its genius.

I don't know, there was just something about it that rubbed me the wrong way. The laugh track didn't help, but I can tolerate it in plenty of other shows. I did only watch 3-4 episodes so maybe I'll give it another chance.

Feb 8, 2008
Thanks to this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3310927
Me and my wife have been going through Wonderfalls, it's by the same guy who did Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies.
Wonderfalls unfortunately got completely screwed over by Fox when it was originally on, only got the first few episodes shown before getting completely pulled. The whole 13 episode season is readily available on Netflix (unfortunately disc only) and all the other normal sources. The show was way ahead of its time, and honestly IMO, it's far better and more cohesive then Dead Like Me. Quirky and tons of hilarious moments. Well worth checking out.

American Clamdigger
Oct 21, 2008
Weeds. It's the only show I wanna watch. Almost caught up. Andy is one of my favorite TV characters ever.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just finished binging through Six Feet Under. Gonna go cry now.

e: I actually thought the episode where Nate dies was more powerful than the finale, though the finale was great.

Dave Grool fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 25, 2010

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
Been binging through "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" over the last three days. Watched half of it today as I recovered from another binge of the drinking variety; one to celebrate the end of the last examination and thus in turn the summer vacation commencing. Specifically the laughable pretentious manner in which everyone articulate themselves, no matter background, in the series is one of its cornerstones (which I'm feebly trying to capture here). The others being sex, violence, combat, "honor", treachery and the ever so random tit or cock.

Extra highly recommended hangover TV.
Not recommended for people that have chosen a life of being ever offended. :angel:

Jarl fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 25, 2010

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Aatrek posted:

Oh, please come back to tell us your reaction to the SFU finale.

Ah I should have been clearer - I've seen the whole series before! The finale really is impossible to overstate, though.

I think that what I love most about SFU are the really understated, human moments - The one that affected me most was Nate, terrified about his make-or-break brain operation, sobbing into Ruth's arms as she says "I'll never let you go" over and over. I mean, Nate is one of television's best-written characters and it's a drat shame he becomes such a dickhead in series five.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

I watched season 1 of Sons of Anarchy this past week. It was amazing, and quickly became one of my new favorite shows. I hope season 2 is as good.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
So I hear that this Breaking Bad show is rather good. I mean, nothing could live up to all that hype, but AMC did pretty well with Mad Men, so I guess I'll just pop in the first disk andHOLYMOTHEROFGOD:psyboom:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ratatozsk posted:

So I hear that this Breaking Bad show is rather good. I mean, nothing could live up to all that hype, but AMC did pretty well with Mad Men, so I guess I'll just pop in the first disk andHOLYMOTHEROFGOD:psyboom:

Haha, did you just finish the first episode? Some of the grossest stuff I've seen on TV.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Haha, did you just finish the first episode? Some of the grossest stuff I've seen on TV.

Finished 1-3, and liquified humans are certainly up there with unpleasant stuff.

Crazy Man
Mar 12, 2006

The laws of sanity are mine, and they will obey me!
Just over half way through Community.

It's now my goal in life to be more like Abed. :colbert:

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I just watched all of Lost.

My head hurts a little. The threads here are a bit of a clusterfuck, so I haven't read through all of them, but what's the popular opinion season quality? I really enjoyed 5, but 6 seemed a little too chaotic.

Followed it up with V, which I really enjoyed, in spite of the bad rep that it seems to get.

Need something else to watch now.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Patrovsky posted:

My head hurts a little. The threads here are a bit of a clusterfuck, so I haven't read through all of them, but what's the popular opinion season quality? I really enjoyed 5, but 6 seemed a little too chaotic.

I think most people were torn on the flashes in season 6, but started to get more interested in them when they started connecting to the main arc a bit. However, there was a huge division over their ultimate meaning - some people loved it, some people hated it, and some people flat-out never understood it. Some of the people who loved it thought that the people who hated it never understood it, while in fact many of the people who hated it understood it just fine and thought it was a complete cop-out.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Trig Discipline posted:

Some of the people who loved it thought that the people who hated it never understood it, while in fact many of the people who hated it understood it just fine and thought it was a complete cop-out.

I'm in this camp. I wasn't pleased with how it wrapped up, but I still enjoyed the show.

I just think it's funny at this point that anyone who actually cares enough about the show to still be discussing it, yet hasn't read one of the 8 billion "Listen, this may or may not have happened, but here is what definitely DID NOT happen" articles that clear up the main points of the ending. (Not the little debatable stuff, but the MAJOR stuff.)

I know some hardcore Lost fans that steadfastly believe that everyone died in the original plane crash and it was hell/Jack's dream the whole time.

(I spoiled that incorrect theory because it definitely has heavy implications for the fate of the characters in the ending.)

These are the same people that are still absolutely convinced that Tony Soprano gets shot in that last scene, in spite of having the moment explained to them by other fans.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'll never get how some people never understood the ending to Lost. It seemed pretty straightforward to me. I didn't like it much because I felt that the fact that they were dead lessened the impact of some of the reunions/resolutions that went before, but it's not like it ruined the whole show for me. The thing I found obnoxious was that the people in the SA thread who did like the ending automatically assumed that anyone who didn't like it had failed to understand it, as though it were impossible to both understand and dislike the ending.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010

Ratatozsk posted:

Finished 1-3, and liquified humans are certainly up there with unpleasant stuff.

It gets better, its like a 30 hour movie, yo.

Druck
Jul 25, 2002

"That's some kinda nice."

Adrianics posted:

But seriously, it has some of the best writing and acting in history. The episode with Michael Weston as a kidnapper is nothing short of a masterpiece.
It really is. I remember the first time I saw that episode I had made some food during the opening credits, sat down to watch the show and eat and completely forgot about my food. By the time the episode ended I looked down and saw my food was ice cold. I couldn't look away.

As for now, I'm almost finished with season 1 of Fringe. Once I finish it I'll probably watch the last 2 seconds of Damages cause I stopped after season 1 for some reason. Then The Shield and Sons of Anarchy.

Druck fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 3, 2010

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
I dunno if anyone's been watching the Sopranos recently, but I started binging through it and this time around it seems like there's a lot more slang I notice. I probably included some words that weren't in there and probably forgot some that were.

"here posted:

agita – heartburn/indigestion (aciditá) [AA-jih-tuh]

bada bing! – bam!; Note: Popularized in the 1970s by The Godfather character Santino Corleone

braggiol’ – meat and sauce/male anatomy (bracciole) [BRAAJH-oel]

brosciutt’/prosciutt’ – italian ham (prosciutto) [BRAAJH-oot]/[PRAAJH-oot]

buttann’/puttann’ – bitch/whore (putanna); Note: more mild than “shockwadell”

calabres’ – Calabrian (calabrese); Note: can refer to people, objects, customs, etc. [caal-uh-BRAYZ]

capidan – captain (capitano/capitan) [caap-ee-DAAN]

facciabrutt’ – ugly face (faccia brutta) [FA-CHUH-BROOT]

‘ffangul’! – /f— you! (vai a fa in culo); Note “Vai a fa in culo!” literally means “Go stick it up your rear end!”

finoicc’/fenucc’ – fairy man/fennel (finocchio)

fraggiol’ – beans (fraggiole)

gab’ – head (capo)

gabbagul/gabagul – italian meat/food/idiot/fool/various other meanings (capicola/capocollo/capacolla); Note: “Gabbagul,” perhaps the most famous and enjoyable Italian-American slang word, besides from being the name of a type of meat, can also be thought to mean “capo in culo,” head in rear end. The Italian meat seems to have multiple spellings, as I’ve seen it spelled capicola, capocollo, capacolla, etc.

gabish’?/capish’? – (do you) understand? (capisci?)

ganol’ – cannoli

gomesegiam’?/comesegiam’? – how do you say?/whatchamacallit? (come si chiama?)

goombah – countryman/fellow comrade/godfather (compare)

gumad – mistress/girlfriend (cumare)

giaccheron’ – blabbermouth (chiacchierone)

gidrul’ – stupid person (cetriolo)

manigott’ – italian pasta (manicotti)

maron’! – drat it (madonna)

maronna mia! – oh my God! (madonna mia!); Note: literally means “My Madonna” or “My Blessed Mary”

mezzafinoicch – half gay

mortadell’ – Italian sausage/loser (mortadella)

mulignan – eggplant/offensive term (melanzana)

muzzarell’/muzzadell’ – Italian cheese (mozzarella)

paesan’ – fellow Italian countryman (paesano)

pucchiach’/bucchiach’ – whore/female anatomy (pucchiacha)

rigott’ – Italian cheese (ricotta)

salud’ – be in good health (salute)

scharol’ – escarole/money (scarola)

schif’/shkeeve – to be disgusted by something (schifo)

schifozz’ – - disgusting thing (schifosa)

scustumad’ – stupid person (scostumato) [SKOO-STOO-MAHD]

scupata/scubata – get laid (scopato)

sfogliadell’ – italian pastry (sfogliatella) [SHVOHL-YA-DELL]

sigilian’ – Sicilian (siciliano) [sih-jeel-YAHN]

stugots/stugats – f— it/male anatomy (questo cazzo/questu cazzu/’stu cazzu) [stoo-GAHTS]

stunad – moron (stonato) [stoo-NAHD]

vaffangul’!/baffangul’!/ – gently caress you! (vai a fa in culo); Note: Literally means “Go stick it up your rear end!”

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finally started watching the Wire. Finished season one last night. It's pretty drat good.

Can I Phaser You
Dec 8, 2006

fuk dis moss covered rock

Trig Discipline posted:

I finally started watching the Wire. Finished season one last night. It's pretty drat good.

I just finished the Wire today, and I'm feeling sad right now because I don't know if there is anything out there that can match it.

I have seen most of the good HBO dramas (Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Big Love, Rome, and now The Wire). So what else is there for me? I tried to start Deadwood a couple years back, but I didn't really get into it for whatever reason. I was considering buying The Shield, but I'm afraid a lesser police show won't hack it after I just finished The Wire.

poo poo. True Blood? Is that any good? Surely not.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Can I Phaser You posted:

I just finished the Wire today, and I'm feeling sad right now because I don't know if there is anything out there that can match it.

I have seen most of the good HBO dramas (Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Big Love, Rome, and now The Wire). So what else is there for me? I tried to start Deadwood a couple years back, but I didn't really get into it for whatever reason. I was considering buying The Shield, but I'm afraid a lesser police show won't hack it after I just finished The Wire.

Have you seen Breaking Bad yet? It's pretty amazing. I've seen all of BB and only one season of the Wire, but so far I actually like BB better. It's the difference between awesome and awesomer, though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Can I Phaser You posted:

True Blood isn't anywhere near on the same level as the other shows you listed. It's a trashy and fun show to watch, but don't expect greatness.

Have you see David Simon's other stuff? He has Treme, The Corner, and Generation Kill.

Can I Phaser You
Dec 8, 2006

fuk dis moss covered rock

Mu Zeta posted:

True Blood isn't anywhere near on the same level as the other shows you listed. It's a trashy and fun show to watch, but don't expect greatness.

Have you see David Simon's other stuff? He has Treme, The Corner, and Generation Kill.

I haven't seen any of those yet. Haven't gotten into Treme because I prefer to watch dvd sets rather than wait each week for a new episode, but I might give it a shot anyway (same for Breaking Bad). The other two are intriguing too--I just know I'll finish them really quickly since they're miniseries.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Breaking Bad's on hiatus right now if that helps. End of the third season was a couple of weeks ago, and was excellent.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Can I Phaser You posted:

The Wire is only sort of police show to begin with. I'd say that it's simply a show that happens to have some police as characters in it. The Shield is an excellent police show that has some of the strongest season and series story arcs out there. The first season is a bit rougher, but the seasons get better and better with the series finale giving The Wire a run for its money. Recognize, though, that it's a very different show from The Wire. It centers almost exclusively on the police, and beyond a few glimpses, there's much less of the humor you'd find in The Wire. On the other hand, there's a heck of a lot more action.

There's also Homicide: Life on the Streets, based on Simon's book, which was pretty strong at first. And finally, there's the black sheep of Showtime, Brotherhood. It's all wrapped up with 3 short seasons and is very similar to The Wire in tone.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Can I Phaser You posted:

True Blood is a pretty decent serial drama. It takes a while to get going and the second season is better (though it drags in places as well). It's not in league with the stuff you mentioned but it's several grades above the typical dreck on television and worth watching.

The Shield is loving awesome and is often mentioned with The Wire as being the definitive great television of modern times. So you shouldn't hesitate to pick it up. People who watch The Shield and then move on to The Wire often have trouble because The Shield is an absolutely high speed, adrenaline, break neck pace show and The Wire is obviously very very slow. But you shouldn't really have any trouble if you've already seen The Wire.

You should definitely give Deadwood another shot. It's really really up there with the others in terms of greatness. As is it's cousin Carnivàle, which is a personal favorite of mine and absolutely superb.

I didn't see Breaking Bad mentioned in your post. If you haven't you should definitely watch it. You've got three juicy, wonderful seasons to watch. My mouth waters just thinking about binging through three seasons of this loving magnificent show for the first time. Breaking Bad is probably the best show not on a cable pay channel.

Some other good shows that ended recently you can binge all the way through if you haven't seen them. Lost (but who watches TV and hasn't seen that), Battlestar Galactica, and 24 are some of my other favorite dramatic serials. Dexter is good, too, though it's still ongoing. As is Sons of Anarchy which isn't as great as The Shield but is still pretty good and by the same guy.

One new show that doesn't get mentioned nearly enough is Spartacus: Blood & Sand which after a rough first few episodes became, in my opinion, the best new show of the season and I absolutely cannot recommend it enough. It's the height of unadulterated awesome.

From the "lighter" comedy-drama serial category you should check out Weeds, Entourage, How to make it in America, and Californication. They're all 30 minutes long as opposed to the usual hour so they go REALLY quick but they still suck you into their stories so they're great for multiple episode binges.

Finally a few lesser, but still good, honorable mentions are Sleeper Cell, The Riches, Prison Break, Friday Night Lights, and Damages.

If you have archives access you can look through my old Fiending for something to watch recommendations thread. It's got plenty of great recommendations from a ton of goons.

As for thread content, I just finished binging through Luther with Idris Elba. It was actually pretty good. I don't usually like BBC crime shows but this one has a special charm and Idris Elba is great. It's only 6 episodes so I recommend giving it a shot to anyone looking for something new.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 5, 2010

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Sort of a derail:

Inspired by various animated gifs and short youtube clips, I am considering to get into Doctor Who. I think I caught a glimpse of the show during Ecclestones turn at the helm, but it was cancelled or put to death at an inconvenient timeslot back then over here (plus, it was the dubbed version, so I did not care that much in the first place).

Is it safe to assume that I can skip the first ~25 seasons of oldschool stuff and get the "modern" series 1-4 without missing any important background information (if there is any?)

Will I be ok just presuming that there is a whacky, time-travelling "Doctor" with a female companion going through some weird poo poo including aliens?

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

mcbexx posted:

Is it safe to assume that I can skip the first ~25 seasons of oldschool stuff and get the "modern" series 1-4 without missing any important background information (if there is any?)

Will I be ok just presuming that there is a whacky, time-travelling "Doctor" with a female companion going through some weird poo poo including aliens?

You can definitely start with the revival, and I'd advise you do so quicksmart, but the thing about the original version series is, it was made across 26 years, by about 15 different producers and script editors, only one of whom cared a single bit about continuity.

If you look at the OP of the current Who thread, you'll see that you can jump in pretty much anywhere with the classic series, and all you need to know is that there is a time-travelling alien known as The Doctor, who travels around in a blue box that's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside, fighting aliens and being generally rather magnificent. Same goes for the revival.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I was thinking about going through The Good Wife but I haven't heard much about it. What's the goon take on this show?

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.
I'm almost done with season 2 of Charmed. I like it. It's different from most shows in the fantasy genre ie. not male-centric, while not being as stupid and disturbing as twilight. Plus having the three leads be 20+ with, Shannon Dorherty's character pushing 30, gives it a decent mature bent.

It may be girly, but I think its a must watch for any occult fantasy fans.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Roshi posted:

I'm almost done with season 2 of Charmed. I like it. It's different from most shows in the fantasy genre ie. not male-centric, while not being as stupid and disturbing as twilight. Plus having the three leads be 20+ with, Shannon Dorherty's character pushing 30, gives it a decent mature bent.

Charmed is the absolute worst television show I have ever seen. Terrible acting, terrible scripts, terrible effects just terrible.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Roshi posted:

I watch a lot of girly shows and I'm into fantasy but Charmed is literally one of the worst television series of all time. (Yes I sat through it)

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
I just got s2 of MASH on dvd for a pittance, more people should watch MASH, it owns vastly.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I ran out of new series' to watch, so I've been rewatching Supernatural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Should watch Hawkeye and Trapper John doing all sorts of Mad Antics.