Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garth Fader
Oct 8, 2008
I'm Very Stupid
gather ye round, and listen to my stupid

PS: This is me fellating capitalism:
:a2m:
The Land Rover Range Rover Evoque:

Click here for the full 1600x1067 image.

I really really like the way this one is looking, and if range rover can do anything about their abysmal reliability issues, then i can definitely see myself picking up one of these as a second or third car in the near future after it's gone through a trial by fire in the streets.

Garth Fader fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

rscott posted:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/253666/vws_baby_roadster_is_coming.html

2 door MR roadster with a TDI? I guess the platform is going to be shared with porsche as well, with a new 918 coming out. Either way, should be pretty freakin' sweet.
Sick! I was afraid they were never going to actually make it.

Helmet Jap
Dec 25, 2004

Noeeee!
Jappu Trappuu!

Garth Fader posted:

I really really like the way this one is looking, and if range rover can do anything about their abysmal reliability issues, then i can definitely see myself picking up one of these as a second or third car in the near future after it's gone through a trial by fire in the streets.

It kinda looks like a fat Taurus. For a Super Luxo SUV, thats a bad thing.

Garth Fader
Oct 8, 2008
I'm Very Stupid

Helmet Jap posted:

Click here for the full 800x567 image.

Yeah, they're identical twins alright.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Garth Fader posted:

Click here for the full 800x567 image.

Yeah, they're identical twins alright.

Really, you couldn't find a picture of an ACTUAL Taurus?

Click here for the full 1134x791 image.

Garth Fader
Oct 8, 2008
I'm Very Stupid

MikeyTsi posted:

Really, you couldn't find a picture of an ACTUAL Taurus?

Click here for the full 1134x791 image.

My bad, i don't really keep up with domestics at all, but still they barely have anything in similar. Maybe if you squint at the thumbnail, but even then it's a stretch.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Garth Fader posted:

My bad, i don't really keep up with domestics at all, but still they barely have anything in similar. Maybe if you squint at the thumbnail, but even then it's a stretch.

Technically Rover was a "domestic" there for a while (owned by Ford), although now they're owned by Tata.

I'm just being an rear end in a top hat now though.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

He's just picking up on the bold accent line down the side of both cars as pretty similar.

I like the detail on the range where it looks like the wheel arch is intersecting a continuous piece on the lights to the vents. Very nice. Probably only works from this angle though.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MikeyTsi posted:

Technically Rover was a "domestic" there for a while (owned by Ford), although now they're owned by Tata.

I'm just being an rear end in a top hat now though.

Land Rover was owned by Ford :eng101: Rover was bought back by management and dive bombed into the ground post-BMW.

If you're going to be an rear end in a top hat I'll be a pedantic arsehole ;)

The Evoque isn't bad looking IMO, but I'm a terrible judge because I like some bits of the X6.

Saw my first XJ on the road here in DC today, the nostril at the front is bigger than i though, but I think EU pedestrian safety regs mean we better get used to that kind of look.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 3, 2010

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Though tons of details are different (number of doors, wheel wells, steepness of rake, grill), I think it resembles the new Grand Cherokee:

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
BMW has released some info about their city car project. They are building the frame out of carbon fiber to offset the weight of batteries for the electric drivetrain. Seems like it's pretty far along seeing as they are crash testing it.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/07/02/bmw-megacity-first-mass-produced-carbon-fiber-car/

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
This is sort of a new car. Citroën unveiled the rally version of DS3 the other day.

Click here for the full 1350x876 image.

Click here for the full 1352x661 image.

Click here for the full 1350x824 image.

quote:

Citroën has just introduced a new customer rally car for the FIA's Group R3T class based on the DS3. The DS3 R3 will be available as either a turn-key racer or a do-it-yourself kit. Either way, power comes from a 210-horsepower high-pressure turbocharged 1.6-liter inline-four driving through the six-speed semi-automatic sequential gearbox. Shifts are handled via carbon fiber paddles mounted on the back of the steering wheel.

The suspension has been developed to make it easily adaptable to different racing surfaces ranging from gravel to tarmac. Tubular wishbones are attached to a revised front subframe while the rear hubs are removable to allow for independent toe and camber adjustments. The bodyshell comes with a multi-point steel roll-cage already welded in, but buyers will have to supply seats, harnesses and fire suppression equipment.

So if you want to live out your fantasy of being Sebastien Loeb, here's your chance.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

hedge posted:

Carbon Fiber Car

Bodywork is going to be a bitch on that. Fender bender? Enjoy your expensive factory-fresh bumper!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

snorch posted:

Bodywork is going to be a bitch on that. Fender bender? Enjoy your expensive factory-fresh bumper!

Sorta the point for someone who can afford to rally in a brand new car. If you tear any bodywork, I'm sure the whole piece can be replaced between stages very quickly.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

Sorta the point for someone who can afford to rally in a brand new car. If you tear any bodywork, I'm sure the whole piece can be replaced between stages very quickly.
I think he's talking about the BMW city car.

I'm assuming that carbon fiber can take more of a deformation impact than steel before it shatters, although once it shatters that's probably basically it for repairs. I wonder how the local bodyshop guys would even approach a job like that, short of replacing the whole thing.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Helmet Jap posted:

If you notice, almost every press photo of the thing(I refuse to call it a Rover) is taken from a very low angle. It is small, very small. Here's a pic with a couple of guys standing next to it.

It's not a Range Rover. Range Rovers are big. This thing is small. It's based on the same chassis as the Freelander. It's far closer to being a crossover than an SUV. I'd bet it is smaller than a Taurus. Looks like Land Rover is headed towards the sedan market.

High belt line low roof. Visibility? Where we're going we don't need to see the other cars around us. I'd imagine it's like driving a tank looking out through those slits.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Some newer cars seem to be relying entirely on mirrors for visibility anyway. Take this for instance:

I've been driving it for a few days now and while there is no point in doing the usual look over your shoulder thing its not a problem if the mirrors are adjusted properly.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

TurboLuvah posted:

Who, Chrysler? Ahahahaha suuuure they have....

Not Chrysler in general, Jeep Grand Cherokees in particular.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

frozenphil posted:

Basically, the only people the speed limiter effects are people bombing down public roads, Bonneville, or the Autobahn.

That's not at all true, I know you only know and care about the drag strip. But depending on the road course I'm getting my srt8 up to 140 or so on the main straights. Since the new 5.0 should be at least an equal to my srt8 power to weight wise i don't see any reason why with a set of sticky tires it wont be in the same neighborhood speed wise.

Ford put a speed limiter on for some reason, but its not going to be aero on the 2011 body. Stop grasping at straws Grover. The Boss 302R cars running stock aero in the Continental tire challenge are definitely going well over 120 and aren't having aero problems.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Kill-9 posted:

If you notice, almost every press photo of the thing(I refuse to call it a Rover) is taken from a very low angle. It is small, very small. Here's a pic with a couple of guys standing next to it.

It's not a Range Rover. Range Rovers are big. This thing is small. It's based on the same chassis as the Freelander. It's far closer to being a crossover than an SUV. I'd bet it is smaller than a Taurus. Looks like Land Rover is headed towards the sedan market.

High belt line low roof. Visibility? Where we're going we don't need to see the other cars around us. I'd imagine it's like driving a tank looking out through those slits.
Ooh, ooh, can I be the one to tell you they're looking at building a 2wd version?

:munch:

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

InitialDave posted:

Ooh, ooh, can I be the one to tell you they're looking at building a 2wd version?

:munch:

You realize you just ruined my day. I was thinking to myself 'No. Can't be. He's just loving with me.' The news stories back you up.

I'll be damned if I help a 2wd if it were to show up to one of our events expecting to play with the big boys.

So, on the 40th anniversary of the Range Rover they decide to kill the marquee. Awesome. I think I'll go outside and hug my Classic. And top off all her fluids as she's dumped them all over the driveway again.

P.S. One of those articles introduced me to a new phrase: 'Soft-Roaders' WTF?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

kimbo305 posted:

The DS3 R3 isn't carbon fiber, the little BMW city car mockup is CF.

And anyway, it's just the frame on the BMW. If the steel frame of a car deforms significantly it's written off anyway, so it's not like that makes much of a difference. And regarding the BMW, there's no indication that the bodywork will also be CF (and I'd highly doubt it, since that would be prohibitively expensive).

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

That is a loving NICE side profile. Love the B pillar.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Kill-9 posted:

P.S. One of those articles introduced me to a new phrase: 'Soft-Roaders' WTF?
RAV4s, CR-Vs, that kind of thing. Anything supposedly a 4x4 that wouldn't really be the best thing to take off-road. The definition gets stretched a bit depending who you talk to, but if it's got regular road gearing, a viscous-coupling AWD system, zero underbody protection and so on, that's what they mean.

People lump the original Panda 4x4s in with the grouping, which makes me go :argh:. They're actually quite good.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bill G getting down with EcoMotors:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100712/CARNEWS/100719972

Their things is a short but very wide take on a boxer motor, with two pistons per cylinder:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That thing looks like a packaging nightmare. Couldn't find dimensions, though.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It just opens up the possibility of an Eggo Pancake Car.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Looks perfect to me, mount one at each wheel. Stick that in your eco pipe and smoke it.

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
New Merc C-class coupé spotted in Germany.
Covered up a bit, but I think it looks rather sweet.
I have no other info other than the pic..

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
What the hell is up with rear windows?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

rscott posted:

What the hell is up with rear windows?

They, like the headlights, are covered in vinyl camouflage.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, they're just purposely obscuring the lines.

Swordfish
Aug 15, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, they're just purposely obscuring the lines.

Why exactly do they do this?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Swordfish posted:

Why exactly do they do this?

Because it's being tested and they haven't officially released images of the car yet. They don't want you to know exactly what the car is going to look like ahead of the marketing/press release, but they still need to test it in the wild.

sacre
Jan 26, 2007
How relevent is that now? I was under the impression these test mule cars were driven around with the main purpose of getting attention and free press. Besides, I can't see how that camo is hiding much of the cars shape except for some finer details like part of the headlight.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

sacre posted:

How relevent is that now? I was under the impression these test mule cars were driven around with the main purpose of getting attention and free press. Besides, I can't see how that camo is hiding much of the cars shape except for some finer details like part of the headlight.
No matter what you've got access to, you still need to take cars out on the public road or non-proprietary test track, probably before you want anyone seeing the final article. There's almost no way round it.

Land Rover actually hid a Freelander under an entire Maestro Van shell at one point.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Hermansen posted:

New Merc C-class coupé spotted in Germany.
Covered up a bit, but I think it looks rather sweet.
I have no other info other than the pic..

Mercedes really has come a long way with their looks, considering the w203 sportcoupe.

That thing was ugly as sin and the interior is atrocious.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
The only thing that makes me wonder about that picture is how much extra they had to pay that guy to smile while driving that car.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Kill-9 posted:

Tut tut, now you are starting to sound like an old school Hummer owner :)

That being said, a few pickup/diesel forums are lighting up with details that GM is dusting off the canceled 4.5L "baby" Duramax and may bring it back into production after all.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/06/gm-ponders-reviving-45liter-duramax-v8-diesel.html

A smaller engine with the same power as the earlier 6.6L Duramax from 01/02 with better fuel economy? Yes please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007

Garth Fader posted:

They did not try at all with those door handles.