Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Eclipse Series 24: The Actuality Dramas of Allan King (Sept 21)

I guess Criterion still has a few surprises up their sleeves. I dunno who this guy is, but it's certainly a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I knew holding out on Charade would be worth it. Although, I got it for $5 by getting the DVD-14 version of The Truth About Charlie, which has Criterion's 16x9 remaster on the B-side.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Well, assuming that's all for today, here's my take:

Thin Red Line: definite buy
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence: rental, Oshima is hit or miss with me
Breathless: pass
Charade: definite buy, but I wish there were a couple new extras
Allan King: rental, very curious about it. Sometimes these left field selections are awesome.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc
Whoa the Allan King set is certainly a surprise... very exciting! He's fantastic, if you haven't seen anything by him I'd recommend checking him out.

I didn't think I'd like the Eclipse sets that much but they've been putting out some really interesting stuff lately. Nothing really exciting for me in this batch of releases, other than the King set...

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They're probably saving Hausu for October given the theme of the month, along with Videodrome and (hopefully?) Kwaidan.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

doctor thodt posted:

They're probably saving Hausu for October given the theme of the month, along with Videodrome and (hopefully?) Kwaidan.

oh christ my loving poor bank account

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

and Antichrist and (hopefully) Cronos

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So I've been noticing recently how some Criterion discs (such as Dazed and Confused/Solaris/Faith Trilogy) are region 0. Is there a reason why some are region 0 while most are region 1? Something to do with copyright?

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Night of the Hunter on Blu? If so... hooray!

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

FitFortDanga posted:

Night of the Hunter on Blu? If so... hooray!

Well, the Do the Right Thing Blu is still in print so I can't imagine it would be anything else! :D

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I just involuntarily yelled "Yes!" Most important release of the year.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

The Long Good Friday is out of print. The other handmade titles will most likely follow suit so buy if you want em

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Lucas posted:

The Long Good Friday is out of print. The other handmade titles will most likely follow suit so buy if you want em

Maybe not. Their edition only has a trailer and essay, so it wouldn't make sense to keep it in print anymore. Sort of like what happened with Pygmalion (the Essential Art House DVD is cheaper) and The Bank Dick (Universal re-issued it).

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Maybe not. Their edition only has a trailer and essay, so it wouldn't make sense to keep it in print anymore. Sort of like what happened with Pygmalion (the Essential Art House DVD is cheaper) and The Bank Dick (Universal re-issued it).

People on the Criterion Facebook page said that that Time Bandits was also showing up as OOP.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Del Toro says Cronos is coming soon
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4795

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

M. Hulot's Holiday on Blu is coming Via Criterion's Facebook.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Also coming, The Sweet Smell of Success.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Lucas posted:

Also coming, The Sweet Smell of Success.

I think I just came.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

The Lucas posted:

I think I just came.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I think I just came.

Oh, cool, look at those new movies coming out!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Where do they mention M Hulot's Holiday?

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Where do they mention M Hulot's Holiday?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's not unexpected, but it's still fun to read that.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion is raiding the MGM library like crazy, then. Fox must be a good sport with licensing considering they've more or less abstained from pre-1960s films besides The Day the Earth Stood Still.

While The Red Shoes is a day-one buy for me, I'm going to have to dive into Black Narcissus. 3-strip Technicolor on Bluray is :iamafag:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Lucas posted:

Hmm, that doesn't really mean that it's imminent, just that it will come out before Mon Oncle. Still looking forward to both, though.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I've been meaning to see The Sweet Smell of Success for years, but haven't gotten around to it, partly because of the DVD's lack of English subtitles. Great news for me!

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

The Lucas posted:

Thank God I read this. I was contemplating buying the DVD this week. Still want to get Trafic before it becomes really hard to find.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criterion seems to have stumped everyone with this.

I can say with 100% certainly it's not anything by Satyajit Ray. So far the best guess seems to be that it's a bonus feature for Darjeeling Limited.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Criterion seems to have stumped everyone with this.

I can say with 100% certainly it's not anything by Satyajit Ray. So far the best guess seems to be that it's a bonus feature for Darjeeling Limited.

That makes sense to me. I've noticed a lot of people freaking out about them doing color correction in Final Cut Pro, but they clearly have a timeline with editing in it, so I highly doubt they're working on an actual film in that shot.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
I don't check this thread often because, while I admire what Criterion does, I don't generally have a lot to spend on blu-rays these days. That being said, I am more excited for "Night of the Hunter" on blu than any other blu that's been announced to date. For the last two decades I've exclusively seen this on VHS until a few months ago when I happened to catch an HD broadcast on MGM HD. Looked great!

I have mixed feelings about Videodrome's pending blu-ray release. That movie has everything that I love (twisted plot, really fun effects, James Woods, Cronenberg, > 90 min. run time) but for some reason I can't watch it. I owned Criterion's DVD release but never watched it so I sold it. Now I find myself contemplating purchasing the blu. I'd greatly appreciate if someone could chime in and push me one way or the other here and apologize if this has been discussed previously in the thread.

Same with Hausu. I've seen it. It's obviously really crazy and, based on my tastes and the other movies in my collection, it qualifies as something I should love. I guess I just don't "get" it's following. Am I missing something?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just as a reminder, the Barnes & Noble 50% sale on all Criterions starts July 14th and continues until, I think, August 3rd.

DividedFrame
Apr 3, 2010

Origami Dali posted:

Just as a reminder, the Barnes & Noble 50% sale on all Criterions starts July 14th and continues until, I think, August 3rd.

Does this apply to Eclipse sets, too?

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

Origami Dali posted:

gently caress this is going to rape my wallet so hard.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DividedFrame posted:

Does this apply to Eclipse sets, too?

Anything with a Criterion logo on it.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
The joys of being unemployed. No need to worry because I couldn't do anything anyway. Oh, think positive. I'll have a job by then :3:

Thanks for the heads up though! Nice to have a little warning about these things.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Origami Dali posted:

In-store only or online as well?

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

The Killer Inside Me is most likely being released by criterion according to a email from criterion to a CF user. Take it with a grain of salt though because there is a preorder page already up for KIM from MPI.

The Lucas fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 6, 2010

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Starscream posted:

In-store only or online as well?

I want to know this too. My local B&N closed for good the other month. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
It was online last time, I can't imagine it wouldn't be this time as well. And I've already got a huge list of poo poo I'm gonna buy: 8 1/2, The 400 Blows, Black Narcissus, Days of Heaven, The Last Emperor, Last Year at Marienbad, The Leopard, Lola Montes, M, My Life to Live, Paris Texas, The Red Shoes, Repulsion, The Seventh Seal, Walkabout, Wings of Desire and Yojimbo/Sanjuro. About $300 right there, but I have a bunch of DVDs to sell off that I will be replacing (or already have replaced) in this sale so I should be able to pick up around $100-$150 (depending on which site I sell to; I'm not completely convinced on the reliability of any of them yet). So 18 Criterion blu-rays for around $200. :toot:

I have problems.