Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Did Vitamin J just recommend cutting springs? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
wrong thread

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Thanks for the link, I've been there before its just that most of those are for lower compression motors.

Baby Hitler posted:

How hard of a knock were you hearing? Hard load slight pinging isn't too horrible on those, but back a bit more off the map, the timing temp-retard is for turbo cars and isn't really strong enough to act as a ghetto knock predictor.
Not too bad, but definitely didn't sound happy. I was around 5500rpm in 2nd accelerating up a hill.

I like the idea of the temp-retard because during the day I might have 120 degree intake temps but then at night it'll be 70 degrees. I plan on tuning it on the dyno, but there's more important things to spend the money on right now.

Ziploc posted:

Did Vitamin J just recommend cutting springs? :psyduck:
Yeah, sure my dampers will wear out faster, but I've got 30k miles on them and it feels just as good as when I first put em on. Cheapest and easiest way to get an NA at the right ride height with NB suspension.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Vitamin J posted:

Thanks for the link, I've been there before its just that most of those are for lower compression motors.

Not too bad, but definitely didn't sound happy. I was around 5500rpm in 2nd accelerating up a hill.

I like the idea of the temp-retard because during the day I might have 120 degree intake temps but then at night it'll be 70 degrees. I plan on tuning it on the dyno, but there's more important things to spend the money on right now.

Oh, its great for what its meant to do, but you're reaching into band-aid territory, its meant to help prevent sustained detonation in abnormal engine operating conditions, not to keep lack of proper tuning in check.

Log a few times when it does happen, remove all the temp-ignition retard and tune it that way, then use it as a corrector for obscene conditions like 200F intake temps and stuff that could theoretically happen.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
In my mind I'm thinking that if the temp goes up x then I'm gonna need to decrease the timing by y, or is it not linear like that?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Vitamin J posted:

Also, Attention Megasquirt guys! I've been daily driving a MS for about 6 months now. I've got my tune pretty drat good, but my spark map leaves a little to be desired and I'm having trouble finding one for a motor like mine.

I'm running a '96 1.8 block with '02 pistons along with full head porting and 1mm oversize valves, header, intake, yada yada.

Anyone have a good spark map for a 10:1 Miata motor? I was hearin some knock earlier today with about 115*F intake temps. Also I have it pulling 1 deg for every 10*F over 90*F, is that a good setting?

I've been averaging 30mpg totally city driving and I hit 38mpg the other day doing about 60% highway driving, I love it!
Spark aside, the new Tunerstudio has Live VE analyzer which can pretty much make you hit your AFR targets spot-on after a hour of driving -- no futzing around. Spark you're just going to have to get some knock cans and DIY if you don't want to splash out for a tune.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Hahah what the gently caress, my NA got stuck in reverse earlier. Thankfully I was just dicking around doing some maintenance in my driveway so I didn't get stranded anywhere, but gently caress. Kind of a bad feeling to know that it could happen at like 3am on a stormy night 2 hours from home. I read the miata.net article and I'm gonna fix it tomorrow, but has anyone here had it happen? From what I read it happens if you stop with the car in 5th and then pop it into neutral, but the car wasn't even on when it happened to me. I was just rowing it through the gears and inspecting my shift boots when it happened.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

I'm having some overheating issues with my 1.6 NA. Water pump is newish, radiator doesn't seem to be leaking, new thermostat. The problem seems to be the fans kicking on late/cutting off erratically. I think it's safe to assume there's some electrical problem, and gently caress diagnosing electrical problems.

So my question is, is there really any compelling reason NOT to just rig the fans up to run constantly when the engine is running?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Symphoric posted:

I'm having some overheating issues with my 1.6 NA. Water pump is newish, radiator doesn't seem to be leaking, new thermostat. The problem seems to be the fans kicking on late/cutting off erratically. I think it's safe to assume there's some electrical problem, and gently caress diagnosing electrical problems.

So my question is, is there really any compelling reason NOT to just rig the fans up to run constantly when the engine is running?

It could keep your temps LOWER than optimal. Thermostat oughta regulate that fairly well, however.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Random question but the NA more or less roomy than an s2000? I've driven both but can't remember in particular.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Piano posted:

Random question but the NA more or less roomy than an s2000? I've driven both but can't remember in particular.

About the same. It's got a little more headroom and a little less legroom.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Piano posted:

I actually find both the NA and NB considerably more roomy than the S2000. I can't physically fit in an S2K in any way where I could safely drive it.

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~

IOwnCalculus posted:

I actually find both the NA and NB considerably more roomy than the S2000. I can't physically fit in an S2K in any way where I could safely drive it.

it's weird, i'm 6'3" all legs, and i found the s2000 to be far from roomy but definitely driveable. i'm a skinny guy though.

my NB is roomier though. but not much.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

My buddy is too :btroll: to be comfortable in an s2k so I guess I'll take another car for our little road trip.

Also ran into some dude today driving a silver 92(?). He was like completely uninterested in the car. It was pretty bad looking. I guess that's to be expected but it really doesn't take much work/money to keep a miata looking decent.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
My antenna mast is stuck up. Fuuuuuuck.

I don't use it much on account of me using an MP3 aux wired into my stock radio. :cool:

I can twist all the sections of the mast with relative ease which leads me to believe it isn't stuck.

The motor fuse is fine.

I can hear the faintest of clicks from the motor area (probably the solenoid) when turning the radio on and off.

Dead motor? :(

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 5, 2010

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
The good news is that a new antenna assembly is only like $115 from the dealer.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
The better news is you can get a nicer short antenna for 12 bucks.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Suniikaa posted:

Or block it off entirely for $5.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Suniikaa posted:

link? I'd love to get rid of the huge one i have now

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

aventari posted:

link? I'd love to get rid of the huge one i have now

http://www.miatamania.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=73897&SortOrder=1

I have one similar to that on my car that I bought at CanadianTire for 11 dollars. Check local stores, they should have ones very similar.

Here are some pics of how it looks, ignore the terrible seat cover please (I have since slayed it) http://picasaweb.google.com/Suniikaa/Topless

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Just get a cap for it. Looks much nicer without any antenna.

(That one is kinda ugly; I've seen nicer looking ones.)

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
My radio reception went to poo poo when my antenna was stuck down.

You should be a real pro about it and weld in a plug.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Just get a cap for it. Looks much nicer without any antenna.

(That one is kinda ugly; I've seen nicer looking ones.)

$3 sink drain plug I got a home depot and painted.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

FireTora posted:

This kind? http://www.google.com/products/cata...0CFsQ8wIwCTgA#p

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Ziploc posted:

My antenna mast is stuck up. Fuuuuuuck.

I don't use it much on account of me using an MP3 aux wired into my stock radio. :cool:

I can twist all the sections of the mast with relative ease which leads me to believe it isn't stuck.

The motor fuse is fine.

I can hear the faintest of clicks from the motor area (probably the solenoid) when turning the radio on and off.

Dead motor? :(

It might just be the plastic thing inside that broke:
http://www.miata.net/garage/power_antenna_repair.html

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

FireTora posted:

Yeah, that one is great looking. Other than filling the hole and painting, that looks like the best way.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Vitamin J posted:

I got me car fixed!

Not bad for $1700 bux eh?

Whoa. I'm REALLY hopeful now for getting my Sunburst fixed. It needs some PDR, a respray for everything but the hood/frontbumper/fenders, and this dent pulled. I have $2100 budgeted from Geico for the hail damage between the miata and WRX, so I'm hoping I can do it with only a few hudred out of pocket.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

A part of the plastic snapped on my interior door handle, driver's side. Should I go oem for the replacement or is there something aftermarket particularly better (and not chrome)?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Hi guys. I just put my Miata up for sale. If you are interested, there are more details here -> http://www.clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=33917

- Located in San Jose, CA
- 1999 Miata
- 112,169 miles (as of 7/10/10)
- 5 speed manual transmission, Torsen LSD
- Tan leather interior, Emerald Mica exterior
- Racing Beat 4:1 header
- FM 2.5" turbo exhaust mid-pipe
- Racing Beat PowerPulse muffler
- Koyo 55mm R2277 all aluminum radiator
- ACT Extreme (stage 2) 1.6L organic clutch kit
- Fidanza 1.6L 7lb flywheel
- 949 Racing 6UL 15x8 + 36 offset 12.4lb wheels (silver)
- RacingBrake.com slotted rotors at all 4 corners
- FM springs, KYB AGX adjustable shocks at all four corners
- FM swaybars front & rear
- Gearhead's Garage adjustable heim joint swaybar endlinks

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

A hard top? This time of year?

For shame.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

On the off chance I'm just missing something obvious:

Does anyone know a place other than ebay/craigslist/miata.net where I'll be able to find a drivers-side front fender for a '99 Emerald Mica Miata? The Ebay fenders are looking better than nothing (some come unpainted for ~$170 including shipping, but I worry about paint costs), but if I could find a junked car and grab the fender off that, I feel like I'll get away with paying less.

I'm in MA if that helps; I used to know the junkyards in the southern part of the state (norther RI as well), but that was a decade ago.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Shlomo Palestein posted:

On the off chance I'm just missing something obvious:

Does anyone know a place other than ebay/craigslist/miata.net where I'll be able to find a drivers-side front fender for a '99 Emerald Mica Miata? The Ebay fenders are looking better than nothing (some come unpainted for ~$170 including shipping, but I worry about paint costs), but if I could find a junked car and grab the fender off that, I feel like I'll get away with paying less.

I'm in MA if that helps; I used to know the junkyards in the southern part of the state (norther RI as well), but that was a decade ago.

https://www.partsgroup.com has some excellent prices on miata parts and pictures of every one. I've picked out a few of my interior pieces on their website but have yet to give them a call.

edit: Looks like they might even have an emerald mica salvage car that they could pull a fender off for you.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 13, 2010

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So RE: the antenna motor thing.

The crazy electro techers in the club took apart my antenna motor piece by piece and checked every resister and wire along the way until they had the core of the motor out. They noticed a small white thermal fuse near the motor core that was blown. Which doesn't really make any sense since the antenna was stuck fully extended and the fuse is to prevent the motor burning out if something stops it midway up or down.

We bypassed the fuse and it works for now. I think I might leave it unplugged though since I only use it when without an iPod. A motor like that can't get hot enough to cause fire right?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ziploc posted:

A motor like that can't get hot enough to cause fire right?

:toxx:?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX posted:

Hi guys. I just put my Miata up for sale. If you are interested, there are more details here/

- ACT Extreme (stage 2) 1.6L organic clutch kit
- Fidanza 1.6L 7lb flywheel

How streetable is this? Whenever I have an excuse to separate my engine and transmission I want to put in a lightweight flywheel/lightweight clutch. I pretty much only drive the car to driving events but it's not quite a trailer queen yet.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I had a 9lb flywheel in my GTX (same 1.6) and it made it noticeably better overall. 7 Pounds is getting pretty low, that might cause some issues with idle-up responsiveness if you do lots of a/c and power steering work at idle.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Speaking of a/c at low RPMs, is it normal to be able to tell when the ac cycles on a miata by the drastic loss of power that results? or is something wrong with my AC?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Baby Hitler posted:

I had a 9lb flywheel in my GTX (same 1.6) and it made it noticeably better overall. 7 Pounds is getting pretty low, that might cause some issues with idle-up responsiveness if you do lots of a/c and power steering work at idle.

What's the stock weight?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You're talking about an A/C compressor on a car that makes 140hp, tops; you can feel the A/C engage on much larger engine's than the Miata's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Speaking of a/c at low RPMs, is it normal to be able to tell when the ac cycles on a miata by the drastic loss of power that results? or is something wrong with my AC?

Yes, as far as I've read the A/C compressors put in Miatas are of a pretty old design and suck a LOT of power. Mine also tends to whine above 4500 RPM or so, so I wonder if it's on it's way out. A/C works great though, so... :tinfoil: