Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

MrBims posted:

The World Ends With You and Strange Journey are solid JRPGs, with TWEWY focusing more on active combat and story-telling, and Strange Journey being more of a Pokemon-like dungeon crawler with a bit of a difficulty curve that can be frustrating without an occasional look at a walkthrough.

If you're mentioning Strange Journey, Devil Survivor should also be on the list. I found it a lot more enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rollersnake posted:

So, I've never played a Tomb Raider game. Where should I begin?

Is it worth it nowadays to start from the very first game? I still play PS1 games quite a bit, and likely wouldn't be bothered by aspects of the game that haven't aged too well. If not there, then where should I begin? Legend? Anniversary? Will starting with the later games make it difficult for me to go back and play the earlier ones?

Anniversary's a fine starting point as it's a remake of the original, but the TR games really don't have much in terms of plot.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Mokinokaro posted:

Anniversary's a fine starting point as it's a remake of the original, but the TR games really don't have much in terms of plot.

Oh, I wasn't talking about plot. I mean, if I jump in and become accustomed to the later ones first, is it going to be difficult for me to deal with the less-refined gameplay of the earlier ones, which, Angel of Darkness aside, I understand are worth playing.

Like, I couldn't get into The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time because I played Wind Waker first, and I couldn't get over how much worse the controls/camera felt.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 20, 2010

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
There are only 3 decent TR games in terms of gameplay: Anniversary, Legend and Underworld. The others have not aged well at all.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Ok, here's what I want:

A friend and I play a lot of one on one Left 4 Dead 2 while talking about random bullshit over xfire. We're looking for other 2 play games we can play over the internet and talk to one another where A) we don't need to interact with others and B) we can still talk to one another even if we're on opposite sides. We also don't want to spend tons of money. Last weekend we attempted Starcraft but Battlenet was crashing on him due to some sort of windows 7 bullshit. Also, we don't really like deathmatch. Browser based games would be fine.

Recommend away!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
VERY ANGRY RIGHT NOW!!!

WANT A GAME TO BLOW poo poo UP!!!!!!!

(PS3 or PC please].

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

V for Vegas posted:

VERY ANGRY RIGHT NOW!!!

(PS3 or PC please].

Just Cause 2, for either platform. Blowing poo poo up is pretty much all you do. With the Boom pack DLC you've got even more weapons to do it with.

It's also pretty fun. Paper-thin story, but if you like running around being a dick in GTA, and spending time finding creative ways to be a dick, this just might be the game for you.

I'm warning you though, the grappling hook might permanently ruin other sandbox games for you.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

V for Vegas posted:

VERY ANGRY RIGHT NOW!!!

(PS3 or PC please].

Seconding Just Cause 2, definitely the best game for random and senseless awesomeness.

Alternatively there is also Red Faction: Guerilla, which lets you blow stuff up with more detail.

HyperGlitter
May 15, 2003

Osmosisch posted:

If you're mentioning Strange Journey, Devil Survivor should also be on the list. I found it a lot more enjoyable.
Agreed, the plot was a bit more retarded but I still pretty much rushed to beat it and I haven't finished Strange Journey yet (so that could affect my opinion of the game). It depends if you like EO-style games; I found the skill/squad customization in Devil Survivor to be a lot more interesting. More similar to FFTA:2's battle system, too. Not sure if TWEWY or DS' length is more suited to a five hour plane ride.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to be playing through HL2 and its two episodes again, mostly because I never got very far into Episode 2 and want to finish it.

Are there any mods out there that would change up the gameplay of HL2 and Ep1 enough to make it a little more interesting?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I want a game for PC that supports at least four players on a single computer—alternating or simultaneous. I'm more of a console gamer, so the only thing I can even think of is something like Romance of the Three Kingdoms, but none of my friends would want to play something that dense and strategic.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

I want a game for PC that supports at least four players on a single computer—alternating or simultaneous. I'm more of a console gamer, so the only thing I can even think of is something like Romance of the Three Kingdoms, but none of my friends would want to play something that dense and strategic.

Worms: Armageddon would be great I would think...

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Hal Incandenza posted:

Worms: Armageddon would be great I would think...

I'm going to try this. Is there by chance any sort of RPG or simpler strategy game that fits my criteria?

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

Danger Mahoney posted:

I'm going to be playing through HL2 and its two episodes again, mostly because I never got very far into Episode 2 and want to finish it.

Are there any mods out there that would change up the gameplay of HL2 and Ep1 enough to make it a little more interesting?

Hey I just got a new PC and downloaded Steam again so I was thinking of playing through HL2 and the episodes again with some mods to change it up.

I think the ones I read about up were called Fake Factory that makes the models more hi-res, and there was one called SMOD that gives you a bunch of crazy weapons to gently caress around with.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I only barely tried it last night, but Trine is a 3 player coop where everyone can be on the same PC. It's a puzzle platformer like the Lost Vikings. Dead characters respawn at checkpoints, so to get a rotation going if you're more than three people then you can just have the dude who dies first give up his controls to the next guy in line.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Rollersnake posted:

I'm going to try this. Is there by chance any sort of RPG or simpler strategy game that fits my criteria?

There's Moonbase Commander.
It's a simplistic turn-based 2D-action strategy game, that runs on every computer under the sun. Barely anybody knows it but the mix of twitch reflexes when "building" new structures and the strong strategy aspect makes for some really fun -- and intense turn-based strategy sessions.

Highly recommended, if you can look over the dated 2D graphics. Also it probably can be picked up for dirt dirt cheap.

EDIT: Just checked, Yup -- $1.99 at amazon.com. Buy buy buy!

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 5, 2010

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Danger Mahoney posted:

Try SMOD, which adds bajillions of wacky new weapons and enemies, and tons of new features. Completely insane and very fun. Someone also made a realism-oriented variation of SMOD called SMOD Tactical. Both are incredible fun.

Not sure they work with Ep 1, but I'm betting they do.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Looking for a good, 2-player, networked, -fun- strategy game for the 360. Really, what I want is a port of Herzog Zwei, but haven't found anything remotely close in the xbla or xna sections. I'd settle for a bolo clone.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Looking for some isometric RPGs. Please do not suggest Fallout 1 or 2, Planescape: Torment, Diablo, Lionheart, Arcanum, or Baldur's Gate (e: or Torchlight). I'd prefer something I haven't played before. Divine Divinity on GOG.com got reviewed by JayIsGames, that looks kind of like what I'm after. I also saw a review somewhere for Darkstone, although it looks like a fairly uninspired Diablo clone.

On a similar note, is it better to start on Baldur's Gate 1 or 2? Haven't really looked at them for years and I'd have to rebuy them... I can't remember much about either, but heard 2 is better. Also are there any mods/patches that are pretty much essential to playing, like that bigass FO2 fanmade one that fixed bugs and re-added unused content?

Corridor fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 6, 2010

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's the consensus on the Transformers game? It looked pretty badass from the muted IGN video review but IGN has lovely taste in everything. I didn't see a thread for it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Pees With Boner posted:

What's the consensus on the Transformers game? It looked pretty badass from the muted IGN video review but IGN has lovely taste in everything. I didn't see a thread for it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3318113

That's a pretty big thread for the game. Apparently a lot of people love it. Hell, I don't even like Transformers, and I think the game is kind of cool.

Corridor posted:

Looking for some isometric RPGs. Please do not suggest Fallout 1 or 2, Planescape: Torment, Diablo, Lionheart, Arcanum, or Baldur's Gate. I'd prefer something I haven't played before. Divine Divinity on GOG.com got reviewed by JayIsGames, that looks kind of like what I'm after. I also saw a review somewhere for Darkstone, although it looks like a fairly uninspired Diablo clone.

If you haven't played Divine Divinity yet you should give it a whirl. It's a great game once you get past the starting area. Plays more like Diablo with an actual story and quests then the others you mentioned.

Darkstone was pretty bad from what little I remember. The only other isometric RPG i can think of that is somewhat worth playing is Titan's Quest. Diablo style gameplay set to mostly greek mythology. Personally think Divine Divinity is the better of the two.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Corridor posted:

On a similar note, is it better to start on Baldur's Gate 1 or 2? Haven't really looked at them for years and I'd have to rebuy them... I can't remember much about either, but heard 2 is better. Also are there any mods/patches that are pretty much essential to playing, like that bigass FO2 fanmade one that fixed bugs and re-added unused content?

There's a baldur's gate thread running at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3136028

But basically if you're gonna play 1, there's a mod that lets you play it in 2's engine, which makes it a ton better an easier to play. You need a copy of 2 to do so though.

As to which to play first... the charactarization and plot gets a lot better in the second one, but there are a lot of carryover characters, and such, I believe every playable character shows up again in 2. Unlike Mass Effect, the save transfer doesn't copy the state data, so each encounter just has a bunch of conversation options like "Didn't I kill you?" or "You were my best ally and ruled."

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Corridor posted:

Looking for some isometric RPGs. Please do not suggest Fallout 1 or 2, Planescape: Torment, Diablo, Lionheart, Arcanum, or Baldur's Gate. I'd prefer something I haven't played before. Divine Divinity on GOG.com got reviewed by JayIsGames, that looks kind of like what I'm after. I also saw a review somewhere for Darkstone, although it looks like a fairly uninspired Diablo clone.

Torchlight is a fun little ARPG that might be worth your while to try, assuming you don't mind it being single-player only. It's basically Diablo 1, with a lick of paint. If you pick it up, definitely play on very hard though, it's a little too easy otherwise.

Corridor posted:

If you intend to play the entire trilogy at some point, start from BG1. I'll second using EasyTutu to combine the games, as it allows you the use of BG2 character kits in the first game and you benefit from the engine upgrades of the second game.

I've always loved BG1, it's a bit more "down-to-earth" than BG2, but I can see where some of the complaints come from. You may find yourself wandering around wilderness areas for a considerable chunk of time and some of the early game encounters are bullshit. However, the satisfaction gleaned from taking a character all the way from Candlekeep is worth it in my opinion.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

The Capm posted:

Ok, here's what I want:

A friend and I play a lot of one on one Left 4 Dead 2 while talking about random bullshit over xfire. We're looking for other 2 play games we can play over the internet and talk to one another where A) we don't need to interact with others and B) we can still talk to one another even if we're on opposite sides. We also don't want to spend tons of money. Last weekend we attempted Starcraft but Battlenet was crashing on him due to some sort of windows 7 bullshit. Also, we don't really like deathmatch. Browser based games would be fine.

Recommend away!

If you still want to play Starcraft direct your friend to Chaos Launcher. It will fix the Windows 7 bullshit and can even run Starcraft in windowed mode!! Don't forget to gently caress with the settings to trap the mouse in the game window while playing or else things might get hairy. It has been awhile since I've used Chaos Launcher myself so I don't remember many details aside from what I've shared here, but if I could get it running anyone can get it running. It's not exactly a game recommendation, but I hope it helps.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

OneTrueBru posted:

Torchlight is a fun little ARPG that might be worth your while to try, assuming you don't mind it being single-player only. It's basically Diablo 1, with a lick of paint. If you pick it up, definitely play on very hard though, it's a little too easy otherwise.

Sorry, I forgot to include Torchlight in my list of stuff I already have. It's not really what I was after anyway... I like having lots of quests/locations for some reason.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Corridor posted:

Looking for some isometric RPGs. Please do not suggest Fallout 1 or 2, Planescape: Torment, Diablo, Lionheart, Arcanum, or Baldur's Gate.
I would recommend Divine Divinity if you already read about it BUT not the second one. If it's any recommendation for you - what stands out in DD is very high interaction with the environment. You could basically use ANYTHING that layed around. There was no 'scengraphy' like in Diablo - if you saw a rake - you could pick it up. I remember running around with a pot for a helmet and a spoon in place of a sword just because I could.

There are also Sacred 2 and Titan's Quest missing from your list - TQ being basically a Diablo 2 DIRECT clone with VERY simmilar UI and even enemy types just set in ancient Greece. They changed drop colors for some reason - not to be TOO similar? - already too late.

Honorable mention also goes to Dungeon Siege which is amazing (second one not so much). I also heard some mixed (amazing! vs poo poo!) opinions about Loki, but haven't played it myself.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm looking for a city building game or even a colonization game where you'll often need to expand with the help of a military.

In other words, expansion should be something like "build military buildings->send military to eliminate resistance in area of desired expansion->expand->send military units to next desired area of expansion->expand again and so on.

Honestly, the minutia of the city building doesn't matter all that much to me. For all I care, there could be just one big "build city/economic hub here" button and that would be cool, but I also wouldn't mind if I had to do the typical city building, "micromanging food/water/goods sources for the population" thing if I had to either. Same goes for military. I'd prefer not to have to control individual units, and instead just put them down and watch them go, but I wouldn't mind if I had to control them either.

Basically, what I'm looking for is a game that will let me dominate the game world by slowly expanding and building my cities, which will strengthen my economy, which will fund my ever expanding and conquesting military.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 6, 2010

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
My dad and I are looking for Xbox games with a co-op mode that doesn't involve the internet and multiple consoles - the sort of thing we can play while hanging out together, like the coop mode of the Lego X games. Please send help, we are running out of Bond movies and spaghetti westerns.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Can anyone recommend me some good DS games? I've played the Mario and Luigi games, Phoenix Wright, and Phantom Hourglass, but all of them were pretty short and without much innovation. Is there any long quality DS games?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

These games eventually sold me on the DS and I'd recommend them to anyone:

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Rhythm Heaven/Paradise
Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Elswyyr posted:

Can anyone recommend me some good DS games? I've played the Mario and Luigi games, Phoenix Wright, and Phantom Hourglass, but all of them were pretty short and without much innovation. Is there any long quality DS games?

That really depends what genre you like. There's a ton of games for every genre on the DS.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Ixjuvin posted:

My dad and I are looking for Xbox games with a co-op mode that doesn't involve the internet and multiple consoles - the sort of thing we can play while hanging out together, like the coop mode of the Lego X games. Please send help, we are running out of Bond movies and spaghetti westerns.

EDF 2017. It's an insane third-person shooter you can play co-op through splitscreen. It's very rough around the edges but very addictive and incredibly fun.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Morpheus posted:

That really depends what genre you like. There's a ton of games for every genre on the DS.

I like RPGs, though not really Final Fantasy style JRPGs, I like Metroid games, and I like games like Puzzle Quest.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Elswyyr posted:

I like RPGs, though not really Final Fantasy style JRPGs, I like Metroid games, and I like games like Puzzle Quest.

Well like DiscoJ has recommended, the Castlevania series on the DS is great, and if you have a DS Phat or Lite, I'd also recommend the Aria of Sorrow (play it before the rest, though).

There's also a title called Scurge Hive, which may or may not be for you. It's basically an isometric-viewed Metroid title, but it can get repetitive, so I'd recommend a review or two.

Oh, and The World Ends With You is a fantastic action-RPG thing, but I'd be amazed if you could still find it. It was a limited run to begin with, but then it turned out to be excellent and I don't think I've seen a copy since the day I bought it.

Meteos is also a great puzzle game, though it doesn't really have any RPG elements to it. It's also really old, so finding a copy might be dicey.

There's also a game called Infinite Space, though I hear it's hard to grab a copy. Big space RPG, and I hear it's pretty good (though I haven't played it)

If by 'Final Fantasy' style, I assume you mean turn-based RPGs?

Fardels Bear
Oct 27, 2006

Lookit me flash, boss.
I want to play Sid Meier's Pirates, but IN SPACE. Any games like that out there?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

If you dont have Elite Beat Agents for the DS yet, try that. I've spent more time on it and the Ouendan games then anything else on my DS.

Oh and seconding The World Ends With You.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fardels Bear posted:

I want to play Sid Meier's Pirates, but IN SPACE. Any games like that out there?

Space Rangers 2? It's turn based, but it's kinda sorta like this. Run around the galaxy, doing trading, doing combat, sometimes engaging in on-planet RTS action, sometimes engaging in even text adventures, it has that Pirates style multiple game types in one thing going for it. You can succumb to piracy yourself, or make your money the honest way. It's a pretty good game.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

GreatGreen posted:

I'm looking for a city building game or even a colonization game where you'll often need to expand with the help of a military.

In other words, expansion should be something like "build military buildings->send military to eliminate resistance in area of desired expansion->expand->send military units to next desired area of expansion->expand again and so on.

Honestly, the minutia of the city building doesn't matter all that much to me. For all I care, there could be just one big "build city/economic hub here" button and that would be cool, but I also wouldn't mind if I had to do the typical city building, "micromanging food/water/goods sources for the population" thing if I had to either. Same goes for military. I'd prefer not to have to control individual units, and instead just put them down and watch them go, but I wouldn't mind if I had to control them either.

Basically, what I'm looking for is a game that will let me dominate the game world by slowly expanding and building my cities, which will strengthen my economy, which will fund my ever expanding and conquesting military.

It sounds like you're describing caesar 3 here, but in case you aren't, play caesar 3.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Palpek posted:

I would recommend Divine Divinity if you already read about it BUT not the second one. If it's any recommendation for you - what stands out in DD is very high interaction with the environment. You could basically use ANYTHING that layed around. There was no 'scengraphy' like in Diablo - if you saw a rake - you could pick it up. I remember running around with a pot for a helmet and a spoon in place of a sword just because I could.

There are also Sacred 2 and Titan's Quest missing from your list - TQ being basically a Diablo 2 DIRECT clone with VERY simmilar UI and even enemy types just set in ancient Greece. They changed drop colors for some reason - not to be TOO similar? - already too late.

Honorable mention also goes to Dungeon Siege which is amazing (second one not so much). I also heard some mixed (amazing! vs poo poo!) opinions about Loki, but haven't played it myself.

Thanks, haven't played any of those. Will get onto them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verty3
May 24, 2007
Just finished replaying System Shock 2, and was reminded of how good it is and how much better than the Bioshocks it is.

What comes close to being as atmospheric as System Shock 2? Anything?