Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Verty3 posted:

Just finished replaying System Shock 2, and was reminded of how good it is and how much better than the Bioshocks it is.

What comes close to being as atmospheric as System Shock 2? Anything?

Dead Space. It basically is System Shock 2, modernized and without some of the weaker points like hacking or degradation, though the characters and records aren't as memorable and the game is more linear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verty3
May 24, 2007

MrBims posted:

Dead Space. It basically is System Shock 2, modernized and without some of the weaker points like hacking or degradation, though the characters and records aren't as memorable and the game is more linear.

Sorry man Dead Space comes no where close to SS2. Also I love Hacking and Degradation. Also their is no sinister garble of cyborg assassins that are lurking around the next corner when your completely out of AP rounds in Dead Space, just terrible clunky controls.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Verty3 posted:

Sorry man Dead Space comes no where close to SS2. Also I love Hacking and Degradation. Also their is no sinister garble of cyborg assassins that are lurking around the next corner when your completely out of AP rounds in Dead Space, just terrible clunky controls.

Not as close to SS2 as Bioshock is, but just as good a game. It just takes from just about every good horror source and combines it into an extremely streamlined, over-the-top cheesy experience. Lots of references for horror freaks to discover and point out and the atmosphere is superbly retro. The ship is fleshed out very well and has a ton of great set pieces, too.

If you want the SS2 experience in Dead Space, play on impossible wth more than one un-upgraded gun.

Verty3
May 24, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Not as close to SS2 as Bioshock is, but just as good a game. It just takes from just about every good horror source and combines it into an extremely streamlined, over-the-top cheesy experience. Lots of references for horror freaks to discover and point out and the atmosphere is superbly retro. The ship is fleshed out very well and has a ton of great set pieces, too.

If you want the SS2 experience in Dead Space, play on impossible wth more than one un-upgraded gun.

I have played Dead Space and really gave it a go, but found really hard to get into. I just didn't like it. Like you said its streamlined and over the top cheesy. The third person viewpoint really killed it for me too.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the experience you get out of System Shock 2 is to me at least in no way related to that of Dead Space. System Shock 2 is exploration and mystery, Dead Space is schlock horror.

The closest I've experienced has been the original STALKER: resource scarcity, uncertainty about the world and the enemies within it, mysterious goings-on... That said, it's also dissimilar enough that I wouldn't recommend it purely on a person having enjoyed System Shock 2.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
If there's one thing that killed Dead Space for me, it was that the camera had like a 50 degree FoV. Seriously it was like you had to play the whole game through a sniper scope. Also, looking left and doesn't so much feel like you were actually looking around so much as it feels like you were just rotating the camera around the player.

The controls in that game sucked.

VVV Wow, never heard of Rise of Nations. It could very well be what I'm looking for. I'll see if I can find it, play it, and report back.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 7, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

I'm looking for a city building game or even a colonization game where you'll often need to expand with the help of a military.

In other words, expansion should be something like "build military buildings->send military to eliminate resistance in area of desired expansion->expand->send military units to next desired area of expansion->expand again and so on.

Honestly, the minutia of the city building doesn't matter all that much to me. For all I care, there could be just one big "build city/economic hub here" button and that would be cool, but I also wouldn't mind if I had to do the typical city building, "micromanging food/water/goods sources for the population" thing if I had to either. Same goes for military. I'd prefer not to have to control individual units, and instead just put them down and watch them go, but I wouldn't mind if I had to control them either.

Basically, what I'm looking for is a game that will let me dominate the game world by slowly expanding and building my cities, which will strengthen my economy, which will fund my ever expanding and conquesting military.

This is going to be a little bit of an odd suggestion because it's not so much a city building game but an RTS, but in all honestly it sounds like you just want an RTS anyways. Get Rise of Nations. It's loving fantastic, and it's basically real time Civ on a somewhat smaller scale (made by the lead designer of SMAC and Civ 2). It sounds like you'll enjoy that game an awful lot.

Before I thought of RoN, I was going to suggest Settlers 2 (which was suggested to you in another thread iirc). The game is pretty heavy into the economic management and domestic building, but you basically have to expand through use of military. And you don't directly control your military either, but when you want to expand into someone else's territory, you just click on one of their military buildings, set in invasion flag, and soldiers from your nearest military building will come out and start dueling with the enemy soldiers, automatically, controlled by dice rolls. I feel kind of dirty suggesting this, because while I love the game to death, the military side seems like such an afterthought and the fighting that's random chance and you can't control can be frustrating, and you're mostly focused on the military aspect. Yet, it's also one of the few games that fit your description exactly.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Verty3 posted:

Just finished replaying System Shock 2, and was reminded of how good it is and how much better than the Bioshocks it is.

What comes close to being as atmospheric as System Shock 2? Anything?

Thief games? :shobon: Same company, same developers. Not sci-fi though.

Verty3
May 24, 2007

Corridor posted:

Thief games? :shobon: Same company, same developers. Not sci-fi though.

This sounds perfect, As I have never played the Thief games through before. Cheers.

Edit: Any one have any thoughts on Arx Fatalis?

Verty3 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 7, 2010

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
So I just played through the Dragon Quest games on the DS and they were actually a lot of fun. Exploring a bright and colourful, relatively non-linear world and working my way through a light enjoyable plot.

Are there any other games out there, Japanese or otherwise that are like this? The only other game I can think of is Earthbound which I loved to bits.

Archipelagic
Apr 18, 2008
I've grown a bit tired of RTS's recently, I think the thing that's missing is the ability to turtle. I used to love Total Annihilation, simply because I could spend ages in a skirmish building up an impenetrable base for the AI to throw itself against.

So, any ideas on an RTS that actively encourages turtling?

Arctic
Dec 4, 2005

Verty3 posted:

This sounds perfect, As I have never played the Thief games through before. Cheers.

Edit: Any one have any thoughts on Arx Fatalis?

Arx Fatalis is like 3 parts Ultima Underworld and one part Deus Ex. It's not not totally dissimilar to System Shock 2 as it all takes place in a single 'mega dungeon' but it also has lots of NPCs, Towns and side quests that make a bit more RPG-like than SS2.

Now I got a request, my boyfriend really likes the .hack// series and asked me if I knew about games that are sort of MMO themed single player games. Not like FF12 'go bring me 10 scarab asses' MMO but more like Space Rangers 2 where you're part of a sort of fake community that can actually function with or without the player or at least gives the illusion of that. It's a bonus if it's themed like it's fake MMO/online world like Uplink.

Arctic fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 9, 2010

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Law posted:

So I just played through the Dragon Quest games on the DS and they were actually a lot of fun. Exploring a bright and colourful, relatively non-linear world and working my way through a light enjoyable plot.

Are there any other games out there, Japanese or otherwise that are like this? The only other game I can think of is Earthbound which I loved to bits.

You can always play the Dragon Quest games on the PSX and PS2. Very, very fun.

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006
I have $20 to spend on Steam.

Right now I'm debating whether to buy F.E.A.R 1, 2, or Dead Space. Any other suggestions for great games would be great. Genre does not matter. I just need a new game to sink my teeth into as I'm bored of the ones I currently have. (I'm holding out on Mass Effect for now)

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006

Archipelagic posted:

I've grown a bit tired of RTS's recently, I think the thing that's missing is the ability to turtle. I used to love Total Annihilation, simply because I could spend ages in a skirmish building up an impenetrable base for the AI to throw itself against.

I dunno if I could recommend any "Total Annihilation" type games (I love that game)...But I've always had good success turtling up as the Terrans in Starcraft.

If you put tons of bunkers, backed up by tons of Seige tanks, backed up by tons of missile turrets, anybody will have a hard time cracking through your base(s).

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Archipelagic posted:

It's not strictly a classical RTS, but Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader (sort of a stand-alone expansion) are pretty much dedicated turtle-games. They're medieval castle-building sims with a fairly big economical aspect. Most of the time the goal is to build up a good fort/castle and defend against several waves of enemies, but sometimes you're also supposed to storm enemy fortificaitons.

I'd recommend getting Stronghold Crusader over the original Stronghold, as it adds a gamemode where several people build their castles on the same map and attack each other simoultaneously, while the original game only supports fights with a designated defender and attacker each.

Also you'll notice that there are two sequels with the names of Stronghold 2 and Stronghold: Legends (or something to that effect), but I'd recommend staying away from those as they pretty much suck, especially when compared to the first two games.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Honestly, if Stronghold was made into a sort of real-time 4x game, it would be so, so perfect.

Build castle -> use castle to fund army -> use army to take more territory -> build more castles -> use larger cashflow to create larger castles than before -> build bigger army to take bigger castles down the road -> repeat forever

In other words, turtle -> advance territory -> make stronger turtle -> advance harder to destroy bigger turtles -> make even larger turtle -> repeat forever

That would probably be my goto RTS from here on out.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Law posted:

DQ series is one of my favourite franchises, as is the Mother series. There isn't really anything out there just like either of those, but here are some DS/GBA titles you may possibly like based on your criteria...

Mother 3, on the offchance you haven't heard, it's basically Earthbound 2. It's only released in Japan but there's a very very good fanslation patch out there. You'll need to play it on emulator or flash card.

Magical Starsign is a very silly and lighthearted, think it's by the same company as M3 even. The art is weird and most people aren't into the childishness. I can't remember if it's especially linear. I know it holds your hand for a pretty long while at the start.

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga is a fuckin' great little rpg. So is M&L Bowser's Inside Story. You get to play Bowser and beat up dudes for no reason. :3:

Elebits: Kai and Zero is sort of a Zelda clone. It's very cute and fairly easy but reasonably long.

My World My Way is kind of, uh, different, but it's funny as hell if you can get past the strange system. There's not much you can do in it except customise battles and stuff though, it's not like DQ at all except the humour and occasional fourth wall breaking.

I can elaborate more on these titles if any of them catch your fancy.

(these are all DS games except Mother 3 and M&L: SS which are GBA)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So, I've been having a little bit of a hankering for Evil Genius lately, but realize it's not necessarily a fantastic game and I've already played it a lot. I think what I really want is more games like it. Obviously, there's a lot of Bullfrog's games, like Theme Hospital or Dungeon Keeper (although preferably it would be less objective based/RTS-like than DK). But I've played all of those, and would like something else, possibly newer.

So, what can I play that's somewhat Evil Genius/Bullfrog-y? I'm also aware there's a lot of terrible shovelware THEME SHOE STORE management sims that I don't want, I'm looking for something with a little depth. What's out there? Anything good since Evil Genius, or anything slightly more obscure that I might have missed?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Archipelagic posted:

Sacrifice is good for this. Mounting a solid defense is actually far more viable than offense in many cases.

There's a set amount of "souls" on a map that allow you to summon units. Killing enemy units leaves behind a red soul, which can be converted for your own use. By defending against enemy attacks, you can hoard souls and prevent your opponent from using them, ultimately allowing you to completely overwhelm the enemy provided you don't lose your own souls in a skirmish.

That being said, there is little to no "base-building", so if that's your bag you might not enjoy it.

Arctic
Dec 4, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So, I've been having a little bit of a hankering for Evil Genius lately, but realize it's not necessarily a fantastic game and I've already played it a lot. I think what I really want is more games like it. Obviously, there's a lot of Bullfrog's games, like Theme Hospital or Dungeon Keeper (although preferably it would be less objective based/RTS-like than DK). But I've played all of those, and would like something else, possibly newer.

So, what can I play that's somewhat Evil Genius/Bullfrog-y? I'm also aware there's a lot of terrible shovelware THEME SHOE STORE management sims that I don't want, I'm looking for something with a little depth. What's out there? Anything good since Evil Genius, or anything slightly more obscure that I might have missed?

It's very possible you've already heard or played it but Muckyfoot's StarTopia sounds like a perfect fit. It's a little more 'town management-like' since you have guests and have to have accommodations like hospitals, lodging, food and entertainment. There's security and combat of course too though combat is fairly simple and favors whose angry mob is biggest.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
I really, really want a game that is a management simulator but without combat (I'd love Galactic Civ 2 if it didn't have combat), I find them incredibly relaxing. I'm enjoying Tropico 3 right now and it is much of what I want though I would like more.. choices/events maybe on a larger scale.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Corridor posted:

DQ series is one of my favourite franchises, as is the Mother series. There isn't really anything out there just like either of those, but here are some DS/GBA titles you may possibly like based on your criteria...

Mother 3, on the offchance you haven't heard, it's basically Earthbound 2. It's only released in Japan but there's a very very good fanslation patch out there. You'll need to play it on emulator or flash card.

Magical Starsign is a very silly and lighthearted, think it's by the same company as M3 even. The art is weird and most people aren't into the childishness. I can't remember if it's especially linear. I know it holds your hand for a pretty long while at the start.

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga is a fuckin' great little rpg. So is M&L Bowser's Inside Story. You get to play Bowser and beat up dudes for no reason. :3:

Elebits: Kai and Zero is sort of a Zelda clone. It's very cute and fairly easy but reasonably long.

My World My Way is kind of, uh, different, but it's funny as hell if you can get past the strange system. There's not much you can do in it except customise battles and stuff though, it's not like DQ at all except the humour and occasional fourth wall breaking.

I can elaborate more on these titles if any of them catch your fancy.

(these are all DS games except Mother 3 and M&L: SS which are GBA)

I started playing Mario and Luigi, it's great so far. Thanks!

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

I want a game whose primary reward mechanism for progress is looking at cool, atmospheric environment art. Games like The Void on PC, where as you progress you unlock new nodes on the world map that you're allowed to enter, or Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon on the Wii, which has very basic gameplay which serves purely as something to occupy your time as you progress through the neat environments. I have all platforms except 360 and PSP.

All Pig Be Slay
Mar 26, 2002

Speaking of mothers, let me give that oatmeal some brown sugar.
Couple friends and I are ex wow rejects, playing warhammer now but its not 100% there for all of us.

We enjoy progression, gear based RPG's where you level up character classes and group to kill poo poo.

We have playstation 3's as well as PC's.

Any suggestions? Are there any good Diablo-esque RPG's out there that have multiplayer for ps3?

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007
I'm looking for an approachable(meaning I don't want to spend five hours crunching numbers or something beforehand) party-type first-person adventure-RPG. I'm talking along the lines of the Wizardry games or Lands of Lore(of which I've only played the first), though I'll also play stuff like Arx Fatalis and the King's Field games. I've read through the first few pages of the thread, so don't feel obliged to tell me to look back at the OP or something.

Basically what I'm looking for is first person adventure with a relatively interactive environment, (mostly)fair combat, either party based or individual, and a whole lot of poo poo, magical and mundane, to collect, wear, use, combine, and all that sort of stuff. For example, I really enjoyed the Ultima Underworld games, and Anvil of Dawn and Deus Ex were both pretty fun too. The SNES port of Eye of the Beholder was less fun, mostly due to the interface and lack of an automap. I'm keeping things a little on the vague side on purpose too, feel free to take some liberty with my framework and suggest something somewhat dissimilar but likely fun. Platforms other than PC are fine too, and anything especially obscure would probably be nice, as I think I've played most of the more popular games in the genre.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Jetsetlemming posted:

I want a game whose primary reward mechanism for progress is looking at cool, atmospheric environment art. Games like The Void on PC, where as you progress you unlock new nodes on the world map that you're allowed to enter, or Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon on the Wii, which has very basic gameplay which serves purely as something to occupy your time as you progress through the neat environments. I have all platforms except 360 and PSP.

Given that you've got a PS3, have you tried Flower? Also the Uncharted games have great scenery as a secondary reward for progressing through them.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

Damonic posted:

I have $20 to spend on Steam.

Right now I'm debating whether to buy F.E.A.R 1, 2, or Dead Space. Any other suggestions for great games would be great. Genre does not matter. I just need a new game to sink my teeth into as I'm bored of the ones I currently have. (I'm holding out on Mass Effect for now)

Dead Space is absolutely fantastic and I would recommend it over the FEAR series.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Jetsetlemming posted:

If you haven't played it yet, I'd say that Shadow of the Colossus is a rewarding experience primarily because all of the environments you explore, and the colossi themselves are visually beautiful, too.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

doctor iono posted:

If you haven't played it yet, I'd say that Shadow of the Colossus is a rewarding experience primarily because all of the environments you explore, and the colossi themselves are visually beautiful, too.

I'd say the Collosi are more awe-inspiring than beautiful, but it's a good choice. In the same vein I'd also recommend its predecessor/sequel Ico.

Everblue and other similar games by the same company feature underwater exploration. Literally all you do is swim around and look at poo poo. There are quests like "go here to find a thing" or "take pictures of these things" and so on, but the only real reason to play is to swim around in the ocean and explore a bunch of awesome reefs and shipwrecks.

Thanks for drawing my attention to Fragile Dreams, some anime cliches aside it looks pretty cool.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

doctor iono posted:

I couldn't finish that game - the colossi were too beautiful and majestic to kill.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
I have no recommendations, but I regularly pine for Darklands or something very close to it. Anyone?

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Rueish posted:

I really, really want a game that is a management simulator but without combat (I'd love Galactic Civ 2 if it didn't have combat), I find them incredibly relaxing. I'm enjoying Tropico 3 right now and it is much of what I want though I would like more.. choices/events maybe on a larger scale.
Try out Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery, it sounds like almost exactly what you're looking for. There is some combat in it, but not very much, and some scenarios don't have any at all. I went from Tropico to this, and haven't looked back.

Cholfo posted:

I'm looking for an approachable(meaning I don't want to spend five hours crunching numbers or something beforehand) party-type first-person adventure-RPG. I'm talking along the lines of the Wizardry games or Lands of Lore(of which I've only played the first), though I'll also play stuff like Arx Fatalis and the King's Field games. I've read through the first few pages of the thread, so don't feel obliged to tell me to look back at the OP or something.

Basically what I'm looking for is first person adventure with a relatively interactive environment, (mostly)fair combat, either party based or individual, and a whole lot of poo poo, magical and mundane, to collect, wear, use, combine, and all that sort of stuff. For example, I really enjoyed the Ultima Underworld games, and Anvil of Dawn and Deus Ex were both pretty fun too. The SNES port of Eye of the Beholder was less fun, mostly due to the interface and lack of an automap. I'm keeping things a little on the vague side on purpose too, feel free to take some liberty with my framework and suggest something somewhat dissimilar but likely fun. Platforms other than PC are fine too, and anything especially obscure would probably be nice, as I think I've played most of the more popular games in the genre.
Do you have a DS? Most games like this recently have been for that platform. If you do, I'm guessing you've already played Etrian Odyssey. Another to try for the DS is SMT: Strange Journey. Though with that one, the bosses really vary in strength. Some are easy as cake, and you'll beat them the first try, and others (especially the final one) are cheap as hell and are a real pain in the rear end.

If you have a PSP, try out Class of Heroes. It's an animeish clone of one of the Wizardry games (7 I think?) but it's a pretty fun game overall.

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007

Alkanos posted:

Do you have a DS? Most games like this recently have been for that platform. If you do, I'm guessing you've already played Etrian Odyssey. Another to try for the DS is SMT: Strange Journey. Though with that one, the bosses really vary in strength. Some are easy as cake, and you'll beat them the first try, and others (especially the final one) are cheap as hell and are a real pain in the rear end.

If you have a PSP, try out Class of Heroes. It's an animeish clone of one of the Wizardry games (7 I think?) but it's a pretty fun game overall.

Etrian Oddyssey is okay, but I tend to avoid Atlus games because I'm pretty sure they literally hate their players. I'll give Strange Journey and Class of Heroes a shot, I'm a real sucker for Wizardry clones. I also got ahold of Demise and Mordor this morning, but haven't had a chance to play them yet, hoping for good things.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
I'm also looking for good DS rpgs. However, I hate random encounters and mandatory grinding so games that have that stuff are a no-no. Don't really have any other requirements as long as the game is good. I already played and enjoyed Chrono Trigger.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Mq posted:

I'm also looking for good DS rpgs. However, I hate random encounters and mandatory grinding so games that have that stuff are a no-no. Don't really have any other requirements as long as the game is good. I already played and enjoyed Chrono Trigger.

Dragon Quest 9 (just out) has visible monsters roaming around the map. Seems easier than every previous DQ as well, so should be less grinding.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I'd love to try something that has fast-paced, arcade style action on PC or Wii. I'm pretty lenient as far as the genre goes, unless it's an RPG. I generally do not like RPG's. I think the only ones I did like were the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi series. I hated Persona 2 and Final Fantasy Legends, though. I have a soft spot for platformers, racing games, puzzle games, and 3D fighters.

For example, I love Shatter, Virtual On, Tetris Attack/Puzzle League, Puyo Puyo, Hydro Thunder, Super Monkey Ball, and other fast-paced, intense games.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I'm looking for a good bare-handed brawler style game in the vein of God Hand, Streets of Rage and the like.

Suggestions from any older consoles are welcome, but the only modern consoles I own are the PS2 and 360.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Frankosity posted:

I'm looking for a good bare-handed brawler style game in the vein of God Hand, Streets of Rage and the like.

Suggestions from any older consoles are welcome, but the only modern consoles I own are the PS2 and 360.

Bayonetta? I'm sure you already own it, but its probably the best brawler game available on consoles right now and is made by the people who made Godhand+Devil May Cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

PalmTreeFun posted:

I'd love to try something that has fast-paced, arcade style action on PC or Wii. I'm pretty lenient as far as the genre goes, unless it's an RPG. I generally do not like RPG's. I think the only ones I did like were the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi series. I hated Persona 2 and Final Fantasy Legends, though. I have a soft spot for platformers, racing games, puzzle games, and 3D fighters.

For example, I love Shatter, Virtual On, Tetris Attack/Puzzle League, Puyo Puyo, Hydro Thunder, Super Monkey Ball, and other fast-paced, intense games.
I would suggest Space Giraffe and Grid Runner Revolutions, but those two tend to polarize people's opinions a lot. Space Giraffe requires some time to "click", but Grid Runner Revolutions is pretty much pick up and play. Both are totally worth the money though ... in my opinion.