Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snap Your Fingers
Dec 16, 2006
I've been insightful for about 17 years.

Bucket Joneses posted:

If any of you live in d.c. I'm skating at the little park at 11 th & Q right now. Also: this weather is retarded. Christ it's so hot.

Glad I left DC. It's sunny and 70 out with no humidity in Colorado.

That DC video posted earlier was sick, DC really knows how to hire good videographers/producers. I recommend any of you with an interest in snowboarding look up DC's Mountain Labs videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB4RSKvufak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
So I left my deck outside at my parents' house in Fredericksburg VA and now it has huge cracks all over the bottom ply. Not a huge concern because it's a crappy blank but I didn't know the extreme heat could even do that.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

No complies and variations look awesome, and also easier than they really are.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Goop posted:

No complies and variations look awesome, and also easier than they really are.

Honestly no comply impossibles look cooler than ollie impossibles

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

Whalley posted:

Honestly no comply impossibles look cooler than ollie impossibles

is that you mike vallely???????

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU1qSSZDPws

From here

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
I have been practicing pumping on my longboard for a few weeks now and am just finally to the point where I can do it consistently with enough power to maintain speed and to (more often than not) accelerate. Whenever I lock into it, I feel like I'm fuckin ripping, but I bet I look like a retard to people who don't know what I'm doing.

To anyone who is trying to learn - focus on your back foot. When I'm doing it right, it feels like I am bouncing back and forth off of the back truck.

Danjamin
Nov 3, 2007
Im just a simple man
Two photos i shot of a buddy on our last road trip that always get me pumped to skate

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.
After a maybe 4-5 year hiatus on skateboarding I picked up a longboard today, I think I clocked in something like 4 hours of ride time today.

I'm exhausted, but it's such a blast.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Mugmoor posted:

After a maybe 4-5 year hiatus on skateboarding I picked up a longboard today, I think I clocked in something like 4 hours of ride time today.

Nice, dude! I put that in on wednesday and learned so much.

On sunday, if you are at all interested, there's an event happening in town called Slide School. A few guys run a little workshop every year to teach people how to do all kinds of slides down the best hill in the city.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

Nice, dude! I put that in on wednesday and learned so much.

On sunday, if you are at all interested, there's an event happening in town called Slide School. A few guys run a little workshop every year to teach people how to do all kinds of slides down the best hill in the city.

Working, which I do a lot of. I'm always home late at night though if you wanna ride a bit, I'm out near High Park.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Mugmoor posted:

What'd you get?

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

Horizontal Tree posted:

What'd you get?

I picked up a Madrid complete, has Gullwing trucks and Cadillac wheels. I forget the exact specs. It's nothing fancy but I'm having a blast with it.

I just got in from riding for about 13KM, holy crap my feet are sore.

edit: does anyone know a particularly good site or video explaining the Coleman Slide? I need to get that move nailed down.

Mugmoor fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 11, 2010

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax
I went and bought an 8.5 inch shop deck from Skatebiz in Brisbane today, drat it feels good not having my big stupid feet hanging over the side all the time.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Finally managed to put online an instructional video for those learning to pump (longboard, LDP related). Hopefully it will be of help for someone, I sure had fun shooting it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3_ZS6CYoew

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Mugmoor posted:

I picked up a Madrid complete, has Gullwing trucks and Cadillac wheels. I forget the exact specs. It's nothing fancy but I'm having a blast with it.

I just got in from riding for about 13KM, holy crap my feet are sore.

edit: does anyone know a particularly good site or video explaining the Coleman Slide? I need to get that move nailed down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcQpcvkylGs Cliff Coleman himself explaining the trick!

I spent all day yesterday at the poop chute (you'll learn about it soon enough) trying to learn how to nail this. I think I need a better deck...

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Lurch posted:

I went and bought an 8.5 inch shop deck from Skatebiz in Brisbane today, drat it feels good not having my big stupid feet hanging over the side all the time.
Those guys are great. We shot the poo poo for a while when I got new trucks recently and everyone who was in there was just chilled out as gently caress. Dudes complimented my board and said it was like riding on clouds :coal:

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Coleman slides are so simple that the first time you stick one you'll be thinking "how did it take me this long?". They have a steep learning curve though. The biggest thing is your weight and how it's positioned. When I was learning, I burned through countless pairs of jeans and shorts. When you're setting up, turn in a bit toeside first, then whip it heelside. At the same time, twist your torso heelside, put your downhill hand down and throw your uphill hand around like you're trying to punch a parrot off your downhill shoulder. When you're spinning around, lay your back foot down so the inside of your leg is as flat against the board as you can. This will cause your rear end to get close to the ground, very close. It also shifts your weight to your front foot. Ideally, your rear end will actually be below the board. This will get your weight off and behind the board which will let your wheels break loose. You will keep rotating until 180° (The more time you spend perpendicular to the fall line of the hill, the more speed you lose and the more wear you put on your wheels), then you'll be going backwards. To spin it back around, use the arm you used to 'punch' to throw an elbow and spin the weight of your torso back the other direction while starting to stand up.

Honestly, the best I way I found to get better was to film myself. As soon as I saw the footage I knew I wasn't getting low enough and was able to work on my technique.

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine

maxmars posted:

Finally managed to put online an instructional video for those learning to pump (longboard, LDP related). Hopefully it will be of help for someone, I sure had fun shooting it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3_ZS6CYoew

I saw this already over at Silverfish. While I've already got pumping down, I think it could definitely be helpful to people who are just starting - what I wanted the most when I was learning was clear video of peoples' feet.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

Thanks you guys are very, very helpful. A longboard store in Toronto here (thanks Zidmidge!) apparently does lessons every Tuesday, so I'm probably gonna hit that up.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

who cares posted:

I saw this already over at Silverfish. While I've already got pumping down, I think it could definitely be helpful to people who are just starting - what I wanted the most when I was learning was clear video of peoples' feet.

I know the feeling, when I was learning I had to put together a video out of all the youtube bits. Ain't easy without someone shooting with the camera aimed directly at you and showing the whole figure. I resolved doing all by myself but that hampers somewhat movement.. Ideally I'd have a friend with a camera filming me sideways while I go through all the various pumping styles.

Snap Your Fingers
Dec 16, 2006
All that snowboarding during the winter must've helped my skating cause I just picked it back up after a few years and got ollies down again, landed a fakie shove-it, and almost landed a kick flip and varial flip. My board, however, is almost a decade old and pretty hosed. I'm going to get a new one, but I was wondering if width is really all preference or if there's a general trend for someone who wears size 10s.

I'd also like to hear some bearing and wheel(preferable harder) recommendations if someone's got em.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Did you make it out to Longboard Living tonight, Mugmoor? Curious to know how your experience went.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

Did you make it out to Longboard Living tonight, Mugmoor? Curious to know how your experience went.

Naw a buddy came by and we went out on our own instead. Was a good night, I'm starting to get the hang of pumping :).

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax

Whalley posted:

Those guys are great. We shot the poo poo for a while when I got new trucks recently and everyone who was in there was just chilled out as gently caress. Dudes complimented my board and said it was like riding on clouds :coal:

Yeah, I've only been in there twice so far and both times the staff have been super helpful.

RedContraGuy
Oct 30, 2008

I always played as red because he had a bigger package.
I skated from about 13-17 then quit for about a year after a really nasty wrist-killing incident. Picking it back up lasted all of 2 months before school was wearing me out more and more. I'm 22 now and really missed it, so I've ordered an Element Flatlight deck, some Tensor trucks, and Ricta wheels. I'm just waiting for all of that to come in and head off to the local abandoned parking lots to finally have some fun outside again. We'll just see how this all goes.

Edit: Also, skating in Alabama means I can go to the very overcrowded local place "The Wall" or skate in the streets/lots. That's really what's influenced the way I've skated over time, since I have no balls when it comes to dropping in, but fakie shuvits and boardslides were just so satisfying that it didn't matter to me.

RedContraGuy fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 14, 2010

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
Dropped too much money on a LDP longboard from RoeRacing, the Mermaid. Looking forward to getting on this bad boy and putting my Sector 9 Gremmie in mothballs. I tried riding the Gremmie down a hill at my new apartment and the wobble about killed me.

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

Lurch posted:

those guys are a pleasure to deal with

RedContraGuy
Oct 30, 2008

Chalk up another mongo pusher. I didn't realize I was "lacking style" by doing it until I read an interview in Thrasher with a pro who did. He also had no idea he was doing it "wrong." No one I've ever skated with even paid attention to it.

Snap Your Fingers
Dec 16, 2006
So I went ahead and bought a new short board:
http://shop.ccs.com/product/model:137043/sku:65-00346/?cm=skate&supercat=Skate

Impulse buy, but I hope it works out. Anyone have some experience with enjoi? I've always loved their clean graphics, and the price seemed right.

RedContraGuy
Oct 30, 2008

Snap Your Fingers posted:

Impulse buy, but I hope it works out. Anyone have some experience with enjoi? I've always loved their clean graphics, and the price seemed right.

Excepting when I was much younger and those 80s style boards were all there was, I've always ridden the "symmetrical" ones.

The Enjoi folks make some great boards, I think you'll be as pleased as I was with mine. I've also heard good things about Royal trucks. Companies I have hands-on (feet-on?) experience with are:

(Decks) Birdhouse, Zero, Enjoi, Alien Workshop, Element, Girl, Chocolate, Flip.

I haven't had a single bad experience with any of these. Element and Flip tend to do some interesting things with deck technology (Featherlight, HKD) and Alien Workshop has a few "high tech" decks they're fielding now, while the rest are happy with 7-ply maple and maybe some different curves. Does Birdhouse still make decks?

(Trucks) Fury, Independent, Grind King, Tensor.

Again, I've always been happy with each of these, although the Fury trucks were a little heavy. If you're the type that blames your trucks on the inability to kickflip, then go with Grind Kings or Tensors, as they're the lightest ones I've dealt with.

(Bearings) Bones Reds are pretty much the standard. I had some super-expensive ceramics once, and besides some extra life, I didn't notice any difference. I stay on fairly rough terrain though. ABEC ratings are for machine standards, higher the ABEC, the smoother they're supposed to ride, but the quicker they'll break. I just put that all out of mind and go with Reds every time.

(Wheels) Spitfire, Zero, Enjoi, and, soon, Ricta.

In my experience, wheels are wheels. The only differences you're going to possibly find are with companies like Spitfire and Ricta who try some radical changes to the form-factor and hardness rating. If you like sliding/reverting, harder urethane's going to make it happen and the wheel will last longer. If you're more concerned with grip, softer wheels are going to help and can actually save you from those little pebbles on pavement that just love to make the urethane squeal and send you flying. Look at some intelligent reviews and find wheels that have key words like "Doesn't flatspot" and "Long life" in either case.

Something else to keep in mind on wheels is that those pretty graphics are going to come off one way or another, so if price is any kind of concern, find something more plain. (Snap, those wheels are part of the package, and that's a very good price for all you're getting so you can just ignore this.)

(Hardware, griptape, and risers) For hardware, having an off-colored bolt for your hardware is handy for distinguishing the nose and tail (they're not always going to be the exact same angle) but otherwise, it's all the same. You can always just mark the griptape or color a bolt or two with some nail polish. Griptape: stay away from any fancy colors. Go black, since colored grip-tape always seemed (to me, at least) to be more harsh. Risers: if the wheels you have start biting into the board, you'll notice. Watch for paint coming off of the deck right where the wheel would touch if you smashed the truck down that hard. There are several risers that come free when you purchase a complete from CCS, so why not go ahead? And even if you don't, they're incredibly cheap. It's just a handy piece of plastic, so there's no reason to worry about company differences. (Although there are some 1/4" ones, I'd stick with 1/8".)

RedContraGuy fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 15, 2010

Mincher
May 12, 2008
The joys of July in Scotland.

I've been bursting to skate for days but other things have gotten in the way. Now I have some free time, it's all grey and pissy outside.

I might bite the bullet and pay for the indoor park tomorrow.

As an aside, I stumbled across a video of John Rattray skating on Youtube. I had seriously forgotten how thrilling it was to see him skate. He's fast, agressive, technical but also super relaxed and stylish. I wish I had an ounce of his skill!

This is probably my favourite part of his:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPZ7Gz90poo

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I hear you about the Scottish weather - I work from home and I've been sitting at my desk with the sun blazing through the window, telling myself that once I'm finished this project, I can take some time off to skate. What happens when I'm good to go? Pissing it down for days.

Also, I can never believe how small the triple set at Dynamic Earth in Edinburgh looks in that Rattray part. It's massive in real life. Sometimes video really shrinks things.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Snap Your Fingers posted:

:hfive: This is the deck I have and it rules.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube

Tenterhooks posted:

Sometimes video really shrinks things.

The steps look all shrunken but Bristo just looks MASSIVE.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
So I'm headed to Atlantic Beach/Emerald Isle NC for the coming week. Does anyone know about any parks that are a reasonable distance from there. The Skate Barn in Hampstead is about the only possibility I've run into so far but it is a little over an hour away.

RedContraGuy
Oct 30, 2008

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Hooray! This came in today. Sorry for the cell phone pic, but it's all I have here at the moment.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

RedContraGuy posted:

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Hooray! This came in today. Sorry for the cell phone pic, but it's all I have here at the moment.

Nice one! Now go scratch it to hell. :D

RedContraGuy
Oct 30, 2008

Unfortunately, those bushings are soft as all hell and make the wheels bite even with a riser. I've tightened the trucks as much as I'm comfortable with (it'll flatten the top washer in a hurry) so I'm heading to the local place to pick up some Doh-Doh whites. We'll see how that goes!

Edit: They worked out great! Starting out from almost square-one again is a bit disheartening. Ollies aren't straight and manuals that only last three seconds, hoo boy. At least it's fun and exciting!

RedContraGuy fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matic
May 12, 2007

NO DISASSEMBLE
Mark Appleyard is officially on Element, off Flip. Kinda pisses me off, but I guess he doesn't really fit Flip too much anymore, anyway.