Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I'm finally watching/binging through Rome, after having it recommended to me over and over again but not really learning anything about it (other than what time period it's set in). The first season was amazing is definitely up there as one of my favourite shows of all time. I'm about halfway through the second season, and I kind of feel like there's been a drop in quality. I mean it wasn't really the most subtle show in the first place, but the second season has felt much more over-the-top to me. I think I'm over that initial disappointment though and am just enjoying the ride now, it's still a great show just seems a lot more sensationalist. Did anyone else feel this way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andy17null
Nov 29, 2007

I'M SO GODDAMN RETARDED, I THINK THIS IS LITERALLY REAL MONEY
i'm up to s03e09 in Lost. I watched the first episode and decided I was going to wait until the show had ended to watch all of it at once. I'm glad I did this.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Starks posted:

I'm finally watching/binging through Rome, after having it recommended to me over and over again but not really learning anything about it (other than what time period it's set in). The first season was amazing is definitely up there as one of my favourite shows of all time. I'm about halfway through the second season, and I kind of feel like there's been a drop in quality. I mean it wasn't really the most subtle show in the first place, but the second season has felt much more over-the-top to me. I think I'm over that initial disappointment though and am just enjoying the ride now, it's still a great show just seems a lot more sensationalist. Did anyone else feel this way?

The second seasons flaw is they condensed a gently caress ton of historical happenings (that happened years apart too) into the last half the season. I remember reading they were planning on many of the happenings in the last half of that season being integral plot points to following seasons but decided to cram them all together after it was learned that would be the last season.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
So about The West Wing.

You told me season 5 was the worst. While season 5 wasn't terrible, it was just sort of boring and then the ending seemed like it was forced and came out of nowhere. Plus the new Vice President seems kind of boring. The gimmick is that they all think he's an idiot besides Will, but they don't do enough with him for me to care. I guess compared to the rest it is the worst so far. Is season 6 more of the same?

Leo just had a heart attack so that tells you where I am. I don't like the new cast member, she seems like she should be a guest star, not in the credits.

General opinions from here on out?

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

Superrodan posted:

So about The West Wing.

General wisdom states that around episode 9 or 10 of season 6, the show starts to get great again. The format of the show changes quite drastically, with the cast divided up and doing different things, some elements not really interacting with others at all. It becomes a pretty different show, and thus a different kind of excellent, but it is good.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

General wisdom states that around episode 9 or 10 of season 6, the show starts to get great again. The format of the show changes quite drastically, with the cast divided up and doing different things, some elements not really interacting with others at all. It becomes a pretty different show, and thus a different kind of excellent, but it is good.

Pretty much this. The end of Season 7 wraps up both the season and the series as a whole pretty nicely. There are some short term payoffs and some longer ones for those who've been with the show since episode 1.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Superrodan posted:

So about The West Wing.

You told me season 5 was the worst. While season 5 wasn't terrible, it was just sort of boring and then the ending seemed like it was forced and came out of nowhere. Plus the new Vice President seems kind of boring. The gimmick is that they all think he's an idiot besides Will, but they don't do enough with him for me to care. I guess compared to the rest it is the worst so far. Is season 6 more of the same?

Leo just had a heart attack so that tells you where I am. I don't like the new cast member, she seems like she should be a guest star, not in the credits.

You're gonna see a poo poo load of new cast members in 6 and 7, they are great for the most part.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.
Netflix is a godsend. I recently finished with Rocko's Modern Life and Dead Like Me. My fiancées little sister is staying with us for a few weeks and has been watching Pushing Daisies (which I'd never seen before) and Rocky and Bullwinkle. It's nice to see a 12 year old actually enjoy classic cartoons.

Next up for me will probably be Farscape, or possibly Sliders.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
I'm bingeing through Buffy. I'm midway through season 3...can anyone tell me what season it falls off a cliff?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Halal to the Chief posted:

I'm bingeing through Buffy. I'm midway through season 3...can anyone tell me what season it falls off a cliff?

Some say 4, some say 6.

I would say that the transition from High School to College in season 4 (and some character changes) really hurt the show, but it bounces back for season 5 which is one of the best seasons. Then in 6, there are some of the best episodes of all time, but the overall plot is widely regarded as preachy.

Season 5 is remarkably good (probably either the second or third best behind season 3) and there is something that happens in season 5 that I hope never got spoiled for you based on seeing later episodes. Because I would have loved to see it for the first time without knowing that it was going to happen, but I had seen later episodes.

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!

It's all good except a big middle chunk of the last season. Thankfully it picks up again for the finale buildup.

Haters gonna hate.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Season 4 and 5 have some really good episodes, but also quite a lot of really poo poo episodes. Season 6 is pretty poo poo from beginning to end. Season 7 is ok if you hit fast-forward whenever Buffy opens her mouth.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Season 4 and 5 fall off a little (though season 4 has a really great finale episode), season 6 is just terrible bar a couple of good episodes, season 7 is good until it hits a high point with 'Conversations With Dead People' and then it's straight down the toilet from that point on.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.

RoryGilmore posted:

I watch a lot of girly shows and I'm into fantasy but Charmed is literally one of the worst television series of all time. (Yes I sat through it)

You know, I can't disagree with all the knocking. Some episodes are so bad or just plain boring, I just fast forward through them, but occasionally there's a very good episode that makes up for the terrible.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Superrodan posted:

Hang in there until Santos (Jimmy Smits), Annabeth (Kristin Chenoweth), and especially Vinick (Alan Alda) get introduced in the next few episodes. There's about to be a lot of shaking up and most of it is really good.

I hated Kate with a burning, furious passion during the Gaza arc, but once she becomes more of a regular cast member instead of Bartlet's personal Mary Sue she's fine.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
I'm currently binging through Curb your enthusiasm - about half-way through Season 2. I'm enjoying the show immensely, even though the awkward situations make me cringe and I wish to God that Larry David would catch a break every once in a while. Great show with a wonderful sense of situational comedy, just like Seinfeld!

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

Hang in there until Santos (Jimmy Smits), Annabeth (Kristin Chenoweth), and especially Vinick (Alan Alda) get introduced in the next few episodes. There's about to be a lot of shaking up and most of it is really good.

I hated Kate with a burning, furious passion during the Gaza arc, but once she becomes more of a regular cast member instead of Bartlet's personal Mary Sue she's fine.

I knew Alan Alda was coming later due to seeing his credit a while back on wikipedia or imdb, but not Jimmy Smits.

This makes me very happy, considering he was great on Dexter.

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.
I just went through the whole entire Rescue Me series up until now. I thought the show was going to be awful from the commercials (oh great, another drama but about fighting fires instead of criminals) but this show is hilarious. Honestly, some of it felt like it was dragging, but all in all it was right up my alley. A bunch of people being assholes while still shooting the poo poo and doing their day job? Awesome.

And I just found out that Nip/Tuck is on netflix instant (finally), so that's what I'll be doing for the next few weeks.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Arthe Xavier posted:

I'm currently binging through Curb your enthusiasm - about half-way through Season 2. I'm enjoying the show immensely, even though the awkward situations make me cringe and I wish to God that Larry David would catch a break every once in a while. Great show with a wonderful sense of situational comedy, just like Seinfeld!

Curb is pretty much the best comedy show ever, in my opinion. Just about every episode has me tearing up in laughter. And thankfully, every single season is good!

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I just watched the episode where C.J. takes over for Leo and it was fantastic. Not only did it introduce Jimmy Smits, but the overall feel of everything falling into place for her about 3/4 of the way through the episode was brilliant.

Also, her little talk with Margaret was awesome. Something like "You're odd and I never really got you. But you keep tight control over this office, and you're tall, which is reassuring."

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Mughe posted:

And I just found out that Nip/Tuck is on netflix instant (finally), so that's what I'll be doing for the next few weeks.

Why would you voluntarily do this to yourself? The first season is pretty great but after that it just turns into a parody of itself multiple times over, increasing as the series progresses, until you are the parody for watching it.

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.

RoryGilmore posted:

Why would you voluntarily do this to yourself? The first season is pretty great but after that it just turns into a parody of itself multiple times over, increasing as the series progresses, until you are the parody for watching it.

That's what I've been hearing... I needed a new series and I had to prove to myself that it was seriously that bad.

3rd episode in and it's not too bad so far. We'll see by season 4.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Mughe posted:

That's what I've been hearing... I needed a new series and I had to prove to myself that it was seriously that bad.

3rd episode in and it's not too bad so far. We'll see by season 4.

What I watched of it was always a guilty pleasure. I think I watched a few episodes after the show switched locations.

Season 1 Veronica Mars? That's some drat fine watching there. I'm ready for the Season 3 letdown, but Season 2 is fun so far.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

Season 1 Veronica Mars? That's some drat fine watching there. I'm ready for the Season 3 letdown, but Season 2 is fun so far.

Season 1 and 2 made it one of my favorite series. Season 3 is a let down but it's still Veronica Mars so it isn't that bad.

I just wish Logan died in the pilot instead of having his annoying character throughout the end.

Feb 8, 2008
Currently starting on Season 2 of Pushing Daisies. What a awesome show, and it seriously sucks that it only got two seasons. Bryan Fuller just can not catch a break. Wonderfalls was great as well and horribly under rated, thank you very much Fox. Too bad he is best know for his weakest show, Dead Like Me, which other than Mandy Patinkin, wasn't that great.
Can't recommend Pushing Daisies enough, its cheesy as hell but completely self aware. The cinematography is great for a TV show and the cast is superb. Not to mention Anna Friel, my god is she hot.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Just finished season one of Deadwood. Good GOD, man, shows like this just don't exist. The level of quality is absolutely staggering. Usually when I'm binging through a series I tend to drift from episode to episode, putting the next one on if I have nothing better to do. Most of the best shows I've been watching since they first aired, so I don't binge all that often. But not with Deadwood, as soon as an episode was over, I was drat near jumping over myself to put the next one on.

Now, this may be because I'm Australian, but it seems to me that Deadwood is similar to The Wire in terms of "We'll speak how we should speak in reality and who gives a gently caress if you can't understand us perfectly". I have a fairly expansive vocabulary, so the language in this show is intensely interesting, just hearing how people spoke (Or may have spoke, I'm not certain the show is completely accurate in that regard. I know the curse words are modernised at least.) is enough to keep me glued to my monitor.

And man, the badasses. Deadwood is a show of badasses. Badasses that kill, badasses that fight, prospect, run businesses. There's a lot of badasses. Most of the pivotal characters are a badass, in one sense or another. And they all have so much presence on screen, every single one of them.

God I love this show. Why did I wait so long?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

cat doter posted:

Now, this may be because I'm Australian, but it seems to me that Deadwood is similar to The Wire in terms of "We'll speak how we should speak in reality and who gives a gently caress if you can't understand us perfectly". I have a fairly expansive vocabulary, so the language in this show is intensely interesting, just hearing how people spoke (Or may have spoke, I'm not certain the show is completely accurate in that regard. I know the curse words are modernised at least.) is enough to keep me glued to my monitor.

The way people talk in the show has nothing to do at all with how people actually spoke, it's like a weird mix of shakespeare and 19th century prose. (edit: and modern day english)

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I figured as much. It's still awesome though and I love the poo poo out of it. Mainly because it doesn't treat the audience like a bunch of morons. In fact, if it's a completely manufactured style of speech by the writers, I think I appreciate it that much more.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

cat doter posted:

I figured as much. It's still awesome though and I love the poo poo out of it. Mainly because it doesn't treat the audience like a bunch of morons. In fact, if it's a completely manufactured style of speech by the writers, I think I appreciate it that much more.

Note the differences in speaking style from person to person, it's really well done. Everyone has their own particular brand of elocution, and it depends as much on personality as it does on class.

In unrelated news, I've been watching Friday Night Lights, which is pretty great, and I've noticed that there's a lot of repetition of people asking someone how they are, and the other person replying 'good' even if they're not. I can't quite decide if this is a deliberate stylistic choice, but it fits with the themse of the show so well I'm deciding that it is.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Getting closer to the end of season 6 of The West Wing. What do fans of the show think of Lord John Marbury?

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

The Walrus posted:

In unrelated news, I've been watching Friday Night Lights, which is pretty great, and I've noticed that there's a lot of repetition of people asking someone how they are, and the other person replying 'good' even if they're not. I can't quite decide if this is a deliberate stylistic choice, but it fits with the themse of the show so well I'm deciding that it is.
I'm sure that's a cultural thing. Where I'm from people do the same thing.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Rapsey posted:

I'm sure that's a cultural thing. Where I'm from people do the same thing.

Yeah, basically here too. It's more of a greeting, "Hi, how are you?" and the answer everyone is looking for is "Good, you?" so they can get on with things.

It's kind of a dangerous practice, because every once in a while someone you don't know very well is having a terrible day that ends up with an uncomfortable conversation when you meant to just be polite. That doesn't stop anyone though.

I guess it's one of those things that is kind of cool to see in TV shows, like people actually finishing telephone conversations instead of just hanging up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Superrodan posted:

Getting closer to the end of season 6 of The West Wing. What do fans of the show think of Lord John Marbury?

He is awesome but it took me a awhile to forget him as Robin Colcord and the Sheriff of Rottingham.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Superrodan posted:

He is a singularity of gimmick and awesome and is the show's sole representation of the British Empire.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Superrodan posted:

Lord John Marbury owns even though he's only in a couple episodes. I can't unseen the character in the actor's other roles.

GERALD!

The West Wing really did have some great recurring roles. John Hoynes might be my favorite recurring role of all-times.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Superrodan posted:

:hfive: West Wing season 6 buddy...

The show is still going pretty strong, if there has been a decline in quality after Sorkin left, it's either very gradual or I'm too dumb to notice. Sure, it shifts away a bit from the White House with the whole Santos arc, but the characters have evolved nicely and the dialogues are still interesting even though a little less sharp.

I think I am pretty close to John Spencer's actual death, so I am a little bummed out. Although according to IMDB, he is credited for 154 episodes? I was under the impression he died during the filming of the show? In any way, I liked both the character and the actor. gently caress art imitating life and vice versa.

There is one thing though that bugged me for the entire run of the series - the closing titles' music. No matter how grave the situtation, there's this cheerful tune that will take you out of it.
A second closing title music taking care of the credits after those darker episodes would have suited the show nicely. On a related note, the name "W.G. Snuffy Walden" never fails to amuse me... :laugh:

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I asked because I can't believe you guys like him. He annoys me just as much as he annoys the characters in the show. I'm not saying the actor doesn't do a great job, but he definitely gets on my nerves the longer he is on screen.

I'm finding the show weird now because I REALLY like the Matt Santos campaign episodes. My favorite moment this season was the commercial he made. I'm liking his story more than the episodes that take place at the White House, usually. And it seems like they switch back and forth, one episode of campaigning, then one episode of old-school (but neutered) West Wing. So I get sucked into the storyline, then I have to take a break because it switches to the other storyline.

I wonder if that is one of the reasons the ratings kept dropping. Regardless of which storyline you care about more, they end on such a high note with each episode but then you would have had to wait two weeks for the next step. I am usually annoyed to wait the 42 minutes it takes to get through the next episode, I can't imagine what 2 weeks would have been like. At one point I contemplated just watching every other episode, then going back and watching the ones I hadn't watched, hoping it would feel like two smaller seasons of different shows, but then I realized that they occasionally mix the two storylines together and I'd miss that dynamic.

EDIT: I replied while the guy above me did, but I am fairly certain the "happy credits" were after a commercial break when the show aired, so it's probably only an issue on the DVD. I usually just skip the credits anyways. Also, the decline happened last season in my opinion, where it just got kind of boring and seemed to be treading old ground, but it is bouncing back with the campaigning stuff.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 21, 2010

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mcbexx posted:

:hfive: West Wing season 6 buddy...

The show is still going pretty strong, if there has been a decline in quality after Sorkin left, it's either very gradual or I'm too dumb to notice. Sure, it shifts away a bit from the White House with the whole Santos arc, but the characters have evolved nicely and the dialogues are still interesting even though a little less sharp.

I think I am pretty close to John Spencer's actual death, so I am a little bummed out. Although according to IMDB, he is credited for 154 episodes? I was under the impression he died during the filming of the show? In any way, I liked both the character and the actor. gently caress art imitating life and vice versa.

There is one thing though that bugged me for the entire run of the series - the closing titles' music. No matter how grave the situtation, there's this cheerful tune that will take you out of it.
A second closing title music taking care of the credits after those darker episodes would have suited the show nicely. On a related note, the name "W.G. Snuffy Walden" never fails to amuse me... :laugh:

It happened in the year 2005 and in the seventh season

demons_souls
Jul 8, 2010

by Duchess Gummybuns
I recently finished season 3 of Mad Men, season 4 of Dexter, and season 2 of True Blood. The ad placement of Jose Cuervo in Dexter was hilarious. "Only the finest for you," ha ha. And I'm honestly glad Rita is dead. The show needed it. Mad Men and True Blood are still fantastic. I'm hoping Don's split/divorce is final. Now I'm starting up The Wire and trying to catch up in True Blood the third season. TV owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Flatscan posted:

Season 7 is ok if you hit fast-forward whenever Kennedy is on screen.

Here, I fixed that for you.

Content:
Been binging The Shield.
I watched the first two episodes, said 'gently caress that poo poo', and stopped.
Then I picked up the DVDs (thanks, local library!), and watched.
Halway through S4 and it's... okay. Every episode is literally 'Vic is intense about something, Shane is a sleazebag, Dutch is a whipping boy, etc, etc'. And the story arcs kind of blow. Each episode is good as a self-contained story, but there is no overriding tension or investment in anyone in the entire drat show. Everything is glaring and in yo face and just screaming its edginess.

Homicide was a much better show, about much better people, in an equally hosed up city.