Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

PaintVagrant posted:

Wow I had a couple hours to work on my own poo poo

That Masters brush cleaner he's standing on reminds me: Masters Brush Cleaning Soap cuts through dried washes like a hot knife through butter. Not sure if it's relevant to anyone else, but I thought it was a useful discovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
*posts newest mini, feels good about self

PV posts something he shat out, looks amazing

*:smith:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
WOW! PV, that is an awesome fig. It would have taken me all day to paint something like that and it wouldn't have turned out as nice.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I don't know if I'm sold on the poses of those models, but PV that is an awesome paintjob. I love the helmet. :swoon:

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
Pro tip: When you're painting a miniature and it's starting to go well for once, don't spaz out and drop it on the floor, putting a giant chip in the paint job. :(

Mugendai
Oct 23, 2002

You realize, of
course, that that
will not kill him

PaintVagrant posted:

Wow I had a couple hours to work on my own poo poo

Love that checker pattern on the smooth side of the Zero. I need to get my infinity stuff primed so I can start working on it.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

PaintVagrant posted:

Ive never tried tattoo inks, how fast do they dry?

About as fast as drawing ink, maybe a little faster because there's more pigment than medium. They're also cheap as hell and super concentrated, so one bottle of ink will get you enough of that color to wash every miniature you'll ever paint in your life.

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
That is really excellent PV.

I need to practice more but it is so humid outside I can't prime anything.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I love how "a couple of hours" for guys like PV means "doing a mini to a high standard" while for guys like me it means "getting splotchy, blunt highlights on five figures' cloaks done and feeling extremely ambiguous about it".

I need waaaay more practice. :/

ranked up on the table, this will look loving awesome. Roll with it!

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
The cloak effect is great. It's a good technique. Contrasty and Direct.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I've started painting my Menoth warjacks and I'm having trouble trying to effectively shade menoth white base armor plates on the warjack. I'm currently painting a Dervish http://privateerpress.com/files/products/the-protectorate-of-menoth/warjacks/dervish.png and I'm having trouble making my coats transition from the base to the shade color (which I'm mixing base with cryx bane highlight per the menoth book for). I'm watering down my shade heavily and adding a drop of medium hoping this will give me a thin almost translucent but even coat, but for some reason I'm not sure if it's my inexperience with trying to locate shadows on the armor, or what, that has it coming out unsatisfactory. Does anyone have any tips or know of any guides for shading white plate armor? I think with practice it'll make more sense to me, I just hope I can get the swing of it soon so I can start putting out badass minis. I'll take photos and post em tonight of my failures.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Bizarro Buddha posted:

Pro tip: When you're painting a miniature and it's starting to go well for once, don't spaz out and drop it on the floor, putting a giant chip in the paint job. :(

Also, don't drop it into the pot of glue you're using to base it. :pseudo:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Tadhg posted:

Also, don't drop it into the pot of glue you're using to base it. :pseudo:

I've dropped guys straight into my wet palette before. Don't do this, either.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Korwen posted:

I've started painting my Menoth warjacks and I'm having trouble trying to effectively shade menoth white base armor plates on the warjack. I'm currently painting a Dervish http://privateerpress.com/files/products/the-protectorate-of-menoth/warjacks/dervish.png and I'm having trouble making my coats transition from the base to the shade color (which I'm mixing base with cryx bane highlight per the menoth book for). I'm watering down my shade heavily and adding a drop of medium hoping this will give me a thin almost translucent but even coat, but for some reason I'm not sure if it's my inexperience with trying to locate shadows on the armor, or what, that has it coming out unsatisfactory. Does anyone have any tips or know of any guides for shading white plate armor? I think with practice it'll make more sense to me, I just hope I can get the swing of it soon so I can start putting out badass minis. I'll take photos and post em tonight of my failures.

You should try a 2 step blend, basically the light color and the dark color blocked in, when you apply the darker color try to apply it "feathered" so the edge of it isnt a straight line.

After that dries, take the lighter color and thin it, and glaze it over the transition between the dark and light.

It takes some practice, but it should give you a decent blended result without a ton of layering

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Aranan posted:

I've dropped guys straight into my wet palette before. Don't do this, either.

Last night I started dozing off while working on my oath. Not full on sleeping, but that 3 second micro-nap stage.

Woke up with a start, like you do. Caused me to smear metallic paint all across the mini. :downs:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I just had an idea. I was trying to find a way to keep my brass rods organized with the right sized drill bits and I remembered that the Winsor & Newton S7 brushes I bought came in some sturdy, clear plastic tubes.

Ta-da.

Now I've got a tube for my 1.95mm, 1.25mm, 0.85mm, and 0.5mm rods.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Aetilus posted:

I hope they deal with that flash problem soon. at least on the most recent metals from gw, glaring casting errors and pieces that don't fit are becoming rarer and rarer.

Sorry, but this comment had me thinking (for 2 pages, again sorry)

I think GW is working on this. By converting their entire lineup to plastic. Every army iteration is mostly new plastics with a few hero characters in metal thrown in. They've explicitly stated their last big price jump was over the price of metals. They have new technology for designing plastics (CAD) that allow them to design cheaper, faster, and with more intricacy. Their plastic kits often come with complete unit options and are starting to have replaceable weapon options. Add the fact that they can charge the same price as for metals (see plastic Empire Greatswords) and I don't see a business model for having any metals by 2020.

edit:

PaintVagrant posted:

Cool only 10 more years of garbage casts
Yeah, this is a total guess and could be entirely wrong. But please key in on the date I pulled out of my rear end and used because it was a nice round number.

Oh and GW just put up advance order on the new Chaos Demons. 3 new plastic kits and one metal character.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 13, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Cool only 10 more years of garbage casts

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I had just got the Marine casualties and I swear, every special order's molds are not well maintained or they just couldn't give a gently caress about the piece when they pour. I had the same problems (EXTREME FLASH) with my marine casualties that I do with my BFG fleet... and those molds are fairly old AFAIK.

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax
IDK, i think that single character models will probably stay metal unless they start making all of them like the space marine commander kit or the empire wizard kit.

to make plastic worth it they need to design sprues with a shitload of options that justify the mold. with metal you can have a 3 piece guy like queek headtaker that might not have the marketability of a more generic character without having to put out for a costly plastic mold

Aetilus fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 13, 2010

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
A little cross-postin here. Sorry about that, but I just remembered there is an actual painting thread :downs:

I need some feedback on stormvermin color scheme. Old school dark red armor with black fur or white fur with green robes and bronze/gold armor?

Please ignore the rough brush strokes, I was just slathering on some paint on the front of the mini to get a feel of the scheme.

I also got some input to do the armor like the left one, but paint the cloth red, but I haven't tried it in practice yet. Gonna do it right now and post a pic of that as well.

Click here for the full 1056x792 image.

Click here for the full 1056x792 image.

Click here for the full 599x635 image.

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 14, 2010

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I personally don't mind Metal character or hero models, personally. I only have a problem when the molds are not maintained properly or they say gently caress it and throw lovely casts in to meet their quota (I'm completely speculating on the quota thing, btw).

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
poo poo.

No work in progress shots tonight either.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Who just primed like 30 sea guard and goreshade and seether?

This guy :smug:

It looked like I hotboxed my garage when I opened the door.

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
I can only prime outside, it's too loving humid to do so. :(

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

I can only prime outside, it's too loving humid to do so. :(

I feel your pain. It's also 101 without humidity :(

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
To any one looking at Ott Lights Jo Ann fabrics has them 40% off this week. If you find any other coupons they can stack as well. I got 2 of their desk lights for $18 each (they list for $70) thanks to that model being on sale + my wifes teacher discount card. I will give a better trip report when I get to play with them tonight.

Backno fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 14, 2010

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

It's usually either too dusty + windy or too cold + damp to spray prime effectively. That's why gesso is a godsend.

After putting gesso on 200 models, though, I'm beginning to have fond memories of spray primer.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I was airbrushing my high elves when my airbrush randomly started spitting water what seemed every few minutes. It happened after about ten minutes of the compressor running, so I wonder if maybe it started to collect moisture?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

crime fighting hog posted:

I was airbrushing my high elves when my airbrush randomly started spitting water what seemed every few minutes. It happened after about ten minutes of the compressor running, so I wonder if maybe it started to collect moisture?

All air compressors get water in them by the act of compressing air. You need to bleed the tank dry every once and a while but to stop it happening while painting get an in-line dryer.

This is what I have:
http://www.princessauto.com/air/compressor-accessories/secondary-accessories/8105470-in-line-desiccant-air-dryer

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

All air compressors get water in them by the act of compressing air. You need to bleed the tank dry every once and a while but to stop it happening while painting get an in-line dryer.

This is what I have:
http://www.princessauto.com/air/compressor-accessories/secondary-accessories/8105470-in-line-desiccant-air-dryer

How does this stuff work? Where do I hook it up?

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008

Tadhg posted:

It's usually either too dusty + windy or too cold + damp to spray prime effectively. That's why gesso is a godsend.

After putting gesso on 200 models, though, I'm beginning to have fond memories of spray primer.

Enlighten me, what is gesso?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

Enlighten me, what is gesso?

A bunch of crap.

It's basically a brush on primer to give the surface "tooth," it's primary use is to give canvases tooth to begin painting on and comes in a variety of colors. A lot of warham goons swear by it. I bought some one winter and tried it, but I had trouble getting it to work right for me. After it cured and shrank, I had a bunch of spots of bare plastic and just waited for a warm enough day to spray prime those models again.

If you have more patience (or whatever you need to work with gesso, you'll find it in the painting aisle of any craft store. It's in the same aisle as the brushes at my local Micheal's.

EDIT: Yes, I used the black stuff.

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 14, 2010

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
But then you just paint over the bare spots with gesso...? :psyduck:

I find that you can (generally) just brush it on plastic models, whereas with metal models it helped to water the stuff down just a bit and do a few layers.

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax
yeah gesso straight from the bottle and a big brush is all you need for plastic. I find it very useful because when I used to spray prime I ended up missing a lot of the model due to the angle of the can and had to go back and hand prime anyway. a sloppy coat of gesso will dry perfectly and covers great in one application. Also, putting it over your ballast sand will bond it to your base much better than just glue and paint.

it covers metal well enough but you probably will have to go back and hit the bald spots again and are probably better off with spray in the long run.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Bizarro Buddha posted:

:rubshands:

crime fighting hog posted:

Who just primed like 30 sea guard and goreshade and seether?

This guy :smug:

Good to see they went to a good home: forgot to ask, did everything get to you okay? Nothing busted into tiny little pieces?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Sole.Sushi posted:

Good to see they went to a good home: forgot to ask, did everything get to you okay? Nothing busted into tiny little pieces?

Everything arrived nicely. They only broke when I started prying them apart like a giant manchild that I am.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

My first few experiences with gesso were disasterous. I used white gesso to prime two landspeeders; didn't water it down, and slathered it on kind of thick after being told "it shrinks to form a skin-tight bond!" After painting, my landspeeder looks like it has a thin candy shell.

It turns out that it will gladly pool in cracks and crevasses, as well as fill/join gaps if you let it. Now I treat it almost like a wet drybrushing job, using the absolute minimum of watered down (black) gesso to get the job done. It still requires touch ups as it dries (even on plastics, if you're doing it thin enough,) but I find that the final product of a good gesso job is better than a good spray primer job. Plus, my minis don't smell like primer for weeks if I don't paint them right away.

I agree, white gesso is largely crap for minis. I've heard a bunch of tricks on how to make it better, but haven't had a chance or inclination to try them out just yet.

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax

Tadhg posted:

My first few experiences with gesso were disasterous. I used white gesso to prime two landspeeders

it does suck balls for the large flat surfaces that you find on vehicles.

VVVV

if you are just using black, you won't be dissapointed with krylon flat

Aetilus fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GravyMiser
Dec 24, 2003
I have been using Dupli-Color sandable primer for all my priming. I haven't bought any in quite some time. I went to buy some recently at Auto Zone (where I had picked it up several times before) and they said they don't carry it anymore and are switching their stock to Krylon.

Where else can I find some Dupli-Color?

• Locked thread