Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow
So I haven't figured out the other song I posted, but this one should be a bit easier.

There's a guy just saying "Feelin like a rollin stone, fee-feelin like a rollin stone" over and over again and then they sing what sounds like "Love me, hold me".

For some reason I need to know the names of songs that I find incredibly annoying...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Battering Ham posted:

I'm looking for a song that i remember being part of a race/chase sequence from some random anime (maybe FLCL) when i was younger. It was done on a xylophone with i think some orchestral backing. It was face paced and fun.

Sabre Dance by Khatchaturian?

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
edit - nevermind, eventually found it myself

Final Fart Buttball fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 11, 2010

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

sickinwyoming posted:

Okay, I'm looking for a music video.
It premiered on MTV2 around 2000/2001. I can't remember too much about the band or the song other than they might have sounded like the generic rock that was popular at the time the Hives, the Strokes, etc...
But the video was pretty cool, it featured the band standing in front of wallpaper sort of like this:

and at one point they held giant crayons up the wallpaper, and the wallpaper moved while they stood in place and made all these crazy and violent designs.

Closest I can get is "Do What You Want" by OK Go but it doesn't seem to match up too closely. Maybe you have two videos confused or something?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

HoldYourFire posted:

Closest I can get is "Do What You Want" by OK Go but it doesn't seem to match up too closely. Maybe you have two videos confused or something?

Not it, I have come across it in my search for that video though :(

I guess i should clarify, each member of the band was in front of a different piece of wallpaper, different colour, different design...
And then they just did this neat trick where the wallpaper moved independently of the guys standing in front of it.

I remember seeing a brief interview with the band talking about how much they loved the effect, and said the director wanted to keep how he did it secret or some such thing.
So it might have premiered on 120 minutes or something.

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/user/reemdocumentary#p/u/0/je00LdDDgOs

1:05

Any ideas?

YouDummy
Jun 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXgjzHSVDEA

Louis Riel
Aug 25, 2009
I will give a first born.

http://www.shining.no/v2/

give me more

Routine Owlectomy
May 8, 2008
Okay, anybody listening to 101.9 WRXP in NYC right now? What was the name of the band who did the Billy Squier cover? It sounded like Maxus King, or Maxis King, but I can't find anything online...?

YouDummy
Jun 24, 2005

Routine Owlectomy posted:

Okay, anybody listening to 101.9 WRXP in NYC right now? What was the name of the band who did the Billy Squier cover? It sounded like Maxus King, or Maxis King, but I can't find anything online...?

What song was covered? You sure it was WRXP? Neither their website nor yes.com list anything even closely related.

DaveSpillings
Jul 31, 2007

"I'll just get a glass of orange juice." "no no no NO NO!!!"
Looking for a whole band, not exactly a song. They've been increasing in popularity over the last couple years and they play a sort of whacked-out surf rock type of music, with lots of feedback and overdubs floating over the songs. I think they use a drum machine, and they're in with the post rock / indie / emo bands. They're pretty popular now and it's really pissing me off that I can't remember their name!

Routine Owlectomy
May 8, 2008

YouDummy posted:

What song was covered? You sure it was WRXP? Neither their website nor yes.com list anything even closely related.

Positive it was RXP, I'm streaming it from their website (I listen to the show that's on now, Anything Anything, every Sunday night). They covered "She's A Runner". Said it was a local band, probably from NY then?

Goky
Jan 11, 2005
Goky is like Goku only more kawaii ^____^
This isn't so much of a "Help me identify a song" as it is "help me find other things by this band" question.

This song came up on my "Slowdive" Pandora station the other day: Phineas Gage - Kite. I really like it, but I can't find any other info about the band, except for a metal/hardcore band of the same name.. but I assume that's not them? Anyone know anything about them at all?

A semi-related question, but does anyone know any other bands that make songs with a shoegazer'esque ambiance and floating melody, but without the thousands of guitar and keyboard/synth effects?

Goky fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 12, 2010

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
^^ Check out the latest album by School of Seven Bells maybe.

DaveSpillings posted:

Looking for a whole band, not exactly a song. They've been increasing in popularity over the last couple years and they play a sort of whacked-out surf rock type of music, with lots of feedback and overdubs floating over the songs. I think they use a drum machine, and they're in with the post rock / indie / emo bands. They're pretty popular now and it's really pissing me off that I can't remember their name!

Surfer Blood? Sleigh Bells? Tame Impala? Best Coast? Wavves? Wild guesses here, you might need come up with some lyrics or something.

Steve Holt! fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 12, 2010

YouDummy
Jun 24, 2005

Routine Owlectomy posted:

Positive it was RXP, I'm streaming it from their website (I listen to the show that's on now, Anything Anything, every Sunday night). They covered "She's A Runner". Said it was a local band, probably from NY then?

http://www.1019rxp.com/anythinganything

That was the show it was on. Looks like the playlist for that show is updated once a week, so you could just wait it out, or the email address for the show is listed there as well.

Routine Owlectomy
May 8, 2008

YouDummy posted:

http://www.1019rxp.com/anythinganything

That was the show it was on. Looks like the playlist for that show is updated once a week, so you could just wait it out, or the email address for the show is listed there as well.

Didn't even think to email them, got a response right away. The band name is Maximilian Is King, and he shortened it to Max Is King on the air. Durrr. But yeah, that was a great cover. Found their Myspace (http://www.myspace.com/maximilianisking) and the rest of their stuff is just as good. And they're playing here next month! I found a new band tonight, yay!

Thanks for the help!

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008

Thanks.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Goky posted:

This isn't so much of a "Help me identify a song" as it is "help me find other things by this band" question.

This song came up on my "Slowdive" Pandora station the other day: Phineas Gage - Kite. I really like it, but I can't find any other info about the band, except for a metal/hardcore band of the same name.. but I assume that's not them? Anyone know anything about them at all?
Found a few things. Kite is from the album Reconsidered, which is on Amazon here for like two dollars: http://www.amazon.com/Reconsidered-Phineas-Gage/dp/B000057P6W

I think this is them on their label's website: http://www.cameraobscura.com.au/cam034.htm

DaveSpillings
Jul 31, 2007

Steve Holt! posted:

^^ Check out the latest album by School of Seven Bells maybe.

Surfer Blood? Sleigh Bells? Tame Impala? Best Coast? Wavves? Wild guesses here, you might need come up with some lyrics or something.

I don't know any lyrics. The singer has a droning voice that's pretty much washed out with reverb. The production is super loud and compressed, and there's normally a lot of ambient guitar or synth droning over the rhythm section. There's a slight possibility the band has "Plague" in their name, and they're definitely on a well established post rock / indie rock label.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Sounds like something I would have heard of but that's still really quite vague

DaveSpillings
Jul 31, 2007

Finally found them, I was thinking of a Place to Bury Strangers. I guess they're not quite so much "surf rock", although the one song I'd heard was "Dead Beat", which is pretty surf-y.

Battering Ham
Nov 22, 2007
OH SHIT! Get down you FUCKS! *KA-FUCKING-BOOM*

Erebus posted:

If it was on FLCL, then it might be Kabalevsky's Comedian's Gallop (or Galloping Comedians, or the Comedians' Dance, there seem to be several translations)

Holy crap that was right on target. Thanks so much!

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

There's a song that's usually on classic rock stations that I only know a piece of. The chorus sounds like it's sung by soulful women and it overlaps. To me it sounds like "[something something] keeps comin and tumblin doooowwwooowwwwnnn" and then on the latter half of "Down" the phrase is repeated again.

I know I have heard it before but I only heard the chorus today and can't place it. "Comin down" and "Tumblin down" in google haven't gotten me anything. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 13, 2010

YouDummy
Jun 24, 2005

Crazyweasel posted:

There's a song that's usually on classic rock stations that I only know a piece of. The chorus sounds like it's sung by soulful women and it overlaps. To me it sounds like "[something something] keeps comin and tumblin doooowwwooowwwwnnn" and then on the latter half of "Down" the phrase is repeated again.

I know I have heard it before but I only heard the chorus today and can't place it. "Comin down" and "Tumblin down" in google haven't gotten me anything. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Think you might mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U8JlcB_BzA

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

YouDummy posted:

Think you might mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U8JlcB_BzA

Haha yeah, knew it was a madly popular song. Thanks a lot, now I don't have to think about this as I go to bed.

Calamity James
Apr 23, 2010

And I'll see you when the sun sets east, don't forget me.
http://soundcloud.com/funkyplusone/deep-space-radio-107-5-wgpr-detroit-super-mix-6-17-07-94-d

You can skip to about 10:00. It's an electronic song from a Detroit radio show in 1994. The repeated lyrics are, "No one in this world ever had a love as sweet as you ???. Nowhere in this world will there be a love as pure as my love."

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Calamity James posted:

http://soundcloud.com/funkyplusone/deep-space-radio-107-5-wgpr-detroit-super-mix-6-17-07-94-d

You can skip to about 10:00. It's an electronic song from a Detroit radio show in 1994. The repeated lyrics are, "No one in this world ever had a love as sweet as you ???. Nowhere in this world will there be a love as pure as my love."

The vocal is from The Carpenters - "Hurting Each Other"

Little Treasure
Jan 28, 2010
I believe the locations where I've heard this song are important:

1) The campus radio station, known for playing great songs by indie bands (think Pitchfork).
I should have -but didn't- call in to see who it was. I've heard it multiple times, so it's not obscure by any means.
2) Urban Outfitters store.
I asked the clerk what the song in question was. She didn't know, but suggested it may have been Broken Bells. Turns out it wasn't, but it's similar.

I thought it was Hot Chip, but his voice is pretty distinctive and it wasn't present in the song in question. Similar, yet again.

Sounds like:
Broken Bells
Hot Chip
Four Tet (especially Love Cry when the beat kicks in)
Cut Copy

The chorus (or the section of the song that has stuck with me) features a marimba or similar low-sounding percussion instrument. It is a prominent instrument in the song. From what I am able to recall, male vocals, 4/4 beat and about 120 bpm.

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKvYWWvVtwQ

0:06 - 0:10

The (what sounds like a guitar) riff.... Does anyone recognise it from somewhere else?

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
Heard this on the alternative rock station on the way to work this morning. It's some monologue with minimal instrumentals and the guy speaks in English and Spanish. It sounded funny but I've forgotten any details about it. My description sucks :(

Calamity James
Apr 23, 2010

And I'll see you when the sun sets east, don't forget me.

FitFortDanga posted:

The vocal is from The Carpenters - "Hurting Each Other"
Thank you. I'm unsure why that didn't come up when I googled it. Even if I'm unable to identify this song, I like Hurting Each Other.

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow

Tin Miss posted:

This song plays every day at the store I work at and I have so far not been able to decipher any lyrics.

All I know is that it's really annoying and at the end of the song the backup singers just keep going "Whoa-oh-ohhhh-ohh" and then the lead singer does some stupid rising "Whoa-oh-ohhhohhh-ohhhh-ohhh" that gets higher and higher pitched until the end of the song.

The only other lyric I could make out sounded like "Love in the heart" or something. I know this isn't much help, but it's all I have to go on.

It plays every day and it is driving me crazy!

I managed to catch some more lyrics to this today and I've finally figured it out! It's One by U2 and Mary J. Blige. Of course our tinny sound system blocks out U2's music and most of Bono's backup so that I only hear Mary's voice blasting out "Ooooonnnnnneeeee" (Said like "whoa-oh-oh-oh")

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Spartan421 posted:

Heard this on the alternative rock station on the way to work this morning. It's some monologue with minimal instrumentals and the guy speaks in English and Spanish. It sounded funny but I've forgotten any details about it. My description sucks :(

Spanish Stroll by Mink Deville?

StrungOutFlip
Mar 17, 2009

Alright guys, lets shoot the stars...ohhh you just killed every star!
A little broad and generic but I'll give it a shot. Heard a song on the radio that plays obscure indie music. The song is fairly new I believe, has female vocals and it sounds like something from the Sgt. Peppers album - very whimsical and has a sort of "lucy in the sky with diamonds/being for the benefit of mr kite" feel to it (in terms of instrumentation). Don't know if her other songs sound like this but the one I heard definitely sounds like something that would come out of Sgt peppers.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

StrungOutFlip posted:

A little broad and generic but I'll give it a shot. Heard a song on the radio that plays obscure indie music. The song is fairly new I believe, has female vocals and it sounds like something from the Sgt. Peppers album - very whimsical and has a sort of "lucy in the sky with diamonds/being for the benefit of mr kite" feel to it (in terms of instrumentation). Don't know if her other songs sound like this but the one I heard definitely sounds like something that would come out of Sgt peppers.

I'm kind of thinking Marina and the Diamonds? I Am Not a Robot, or Hollywood, or Oh No?

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
I'm looking for a drum & bass remix of a track on YouTube. The lyrics are fast, and it starts off with a low-pass filtered synth sound. It's kind of sad. Okay, that's not very descriptive, but how about this: The video that accompanies it is from a battle in the first Transformers. A lot of Optimus Prime, Megan Fox and Shia LeBeouf in HD quality. Can anyone link it or tell me the title? I can't find it anymore.

I also wanna say the remix is done in part by Logistics or High Contrast, but I could be very wrong.

edit: found it, it's Lazee Ft. Neverstore - Hold On (Matrix & Futurebound Terrace Tantrum remix) though the video has been taken down.

SynthesizerKaiser fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 17, 2010

StrungOutFlip
Mar 17, 2009

Alright guys, lets shoot the stars...ohhh you just killed every star!

HoldYourFire posted:

I'm kind of thinking Marina and the Diamonds? I Am Not a Robot, or Hollywood, or Oh No?

Dont think its any of those but thanks though :D

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

StrungOutFlip posted:

Bat For Lashes or Florence + the Machine would be my guesses.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 14, 2010

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I have a trance song that I can't remember the name of. It's Ibiza style trance, with a guitar as the main instrument. The song is basically just single plucking of guitar notes, and then a woman whispering something at the end of each section, along with a backing beat. I can't for the life of me remember what she's saying, but it's something in Spanish. The song probably also has a Spanish title.

What it's NOT: "Seven Cities" by Solarstone, "Reachers of Civilization" by York

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

I'm looking for a track thats probably 5 or more years old, it's electronic, and has a sample of what sounds like a black women talking about all the reasons not to date a dj. I believe one of the lines is "He'll never love you as much as his white labels"