Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BarryMantlesnorks
Nov 14, 2005
Bought 8 1/2 with a gift card and ordered Hunger to come in next week when I get paid. I hate being broke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Picking of Battle of Algiers for sure but looking for recommendations for Europa and Science is Fiction. I have no experience with Lars von Trier, is it a good place to start? And my concern with SiF is that I'll watch it once and never again.

I was also looking at Z but since I have Missing so I'll hold off for now, and I considered Le Doulos and Le deuxieme souffle but I figure I already own the "best" Melvilles and I know I would end up considering them lesser movies.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
This thread is terrible whenever there's a sale. I mean, I know that we are all talking about a vanity label that makes a consumer product, but even still it gets way too object fetishistic. Can y'all at least say something about the movie so there's some sort of indication you at least took it out of the plastic?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Can y'all at least say something about the movie so there's some sort of indication you at least took it out of the plastic?

Wait, there are movies in these cases??

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'd personally rather talk about how we order the cases on our shelves, IMO.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Looking forward to picking up F For Fake (Welles, 1975) during the drat you Criterion :argh:

Edit: Oh for fucks sake I'll also have to go in on the AK 100 - 25 Films by Akira Kurosawa. My poor wallet :negative:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Cacator posted:

Picking of Battle of Algiers for sure but looking for recommendations for Europa and Science is Fiction. I have no experience with Lars von Trier, is it a good place to start? And my concern with SiF is that I'll watch it once and never again.

I really like Europa, although it's not your "typical" LVT movie (i.e., it doesn't make you hate him).

Your concern about SiF is quite valid. Fun to watch once, I can't imagine watching it again.

Cacator posted:

I was also looking at Z but since I have Missing so I'll hold off for now, and I considered Le Doulos and Le deuxieme souffle but I figure I already own the "best" Melvilles and I know I would end up considering them lesser movies.

Le Doulos is the best Meville IMO.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mike_V posted:

Looking forward to picking up F For Fake (Welles, 1975) during the drat you Criterion :argh:

Ugh, that's so anglocentric of you, the film's called Vérités et mensonges, maybe if you'd checked that it was made in France you'd have known that.

I'd be all over the 黒沢 明 too set if I didn't own most of them already.

I agree with FFD about Science is Fiction. The movies are fine to watch once but that's about it.

LoneRiver
Oct 4, 2004
wooooo
I'm taking advantage of the sale to pick up a bunch of movies for the lady, but had to grab one for myself, Videodrome. I've never seen any Cronenberg movies before, but I'm drat glad I took the dive here. One of the most terrifying films I've ever seen. I kinda wish I could own it on VHS.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

F for Fake is worth full MSRP, let alone 50% off.

I'd pick up Z in a 60% off sale or used unless you're not into BluRay yet. I can't see myself ever buying a DVD again unless it's something 99% unlikely like Make Way for Tomorrow or My Dinner with Andre.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

This thread is terrible whenever there's a sale. I mean, I know that we are all talking about a vanity label that makes a consumer product, but even still it gets way too object fetishistic. Can y'all at least say something about the movie so there's some sort of indication you at least took it out of the plastic?

You've posted this exact thing so many times by now that I don't think a sale would feel complete without it, but give it a break already. This type of behavior is no different than the selfsame number of posts in the Blu-ray megathread every Tuesday.

I rather enjoy seeing what titles people are spending their money on - given the breadth of Criterion's catalog it's a nice way for people to be reminded of back titles that they may have missed, or new titles that they're unsure about. People naming their purchases in this thread more often than not leads to other people having valid discussions or recommendations of the title(s) in question, so all you're doing by complaining each and every single time is making yourself out to be a troll.

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

Mustach posted:

It ended up being on sale in-store & cheaper than that but mine is missing the fold-out insert mentioned on the back… I guess I'll have to return it.

Save yourself a trip and email Jon Mulvaney. I had this happen to me on a copy of Variety Lights, I had bought it before it went OOP but didn't open it until much later. He mailed me a new insert right away for no charge. You should have no problem getting one. Email him at mulvaney@criterion.com and let him know the situation.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

LoneRiver posted:

I'm taking advantage of the sale to pick up a bunch of movies for the lady, but had to grab one for myself, Videodrome. I've never seen any Cronenberg movies before, but I'm drat glad I took the dive here. One of the most terrifying films I've ever seen. I kinda wish I could own it on VHS.

Beta. You wish you could own the beta :colbert:. Also I cannot wait for that to come out on Blu-Ray. I picked up Gimme Shelter and Walkabout on Blu today and will probably by Black Narcissus when it comes out.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

What are some worth buying unseen on BluRay?

Close-Up, Walkabout, and Yojimbo look enticing.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Egbert Souse posted:

Yojimbo

Do you like spaghetti westerns? If so you have to check it out as it inspired Sergio Leone's man with no name triology, in particular A Fistful of Dollars is almost a shot for shot remake of Yojimbo.

If you like 60's rock music pick up the Monterey Pop Festival concert to see an incredible 1967 concert with Jimi Hendrix, The Mamas and the Papas, Otis Redding, Jefferson Airplane, and more. My favorite is an awesome 30 minute long Ravi Shankar performance at the end.

If you're going to Barnes and Noble stores be careful as not all of them actually carry music & DVDs anymore. I ran out to one hoping to find some of the out of print blurays and was surprised to see the whole media section was gone. It doesn't really surprise me though as the only time I shop at B&N is when they have this sale.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 14, 2010

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Egbert Souse posted:

Walkabout looks about as good on BRD as you'd expect it to. Not a huge fan of Roeg, but it's my favorite film of his, FWIW.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I'm tempted by Bicycle Thieves and The Battle of Algiers, but really don't have money for both!

I also wish the sale went long enough for the new Kurosawa set to come out on August 3rd, kinda sucks to have to wait for the next sale.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

Yojimbo is a no-brainer.

Walkabout is iffy. I think it's overrated, but I'm not a Nic Roeg fan in general.

Close-Up is iffy too, but from what I know about your tastes, I think you'll like it, and even a strong chance you'll love it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If you do get Yojimbo, you probably want the two-pack with Sanjuro, which I'm about 95% sure is cheaper than getting them separately. (Sanjuro is every bit as good as Yojimbo)

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Fag Boy Jim posted:

If you do get Yojimbo, you probably want the two-pack with Sanjuro, which I'm about 95% sure is cheaper than getting them separately. (Sanjuro is every bit as good as Yojimbo)

I definitely agree. From what I can tell though, it's the exact same price to buy them separately as it is to buy them together in this sale. Together you get a sweet box, though. I used an online new member coupon that took of 20% off, so my total was right around $28. Unfortunately, looks like they killed online coupons for the sale.

I recently re-watched Yojimbo and absolutely loved it. Just such a fun, stylized film; I can't wait to check it out on BD now. I definitely think they're the type of film most anybody can enjoy, particularly those who care about cinema.

As for this sale, I've been waiting since the last one to buy anything so I've been going all out. I'm in Hawaii visiting a friend right now. I swung by a FedEx and printed coupons off, tax here is only 4.7%, so I actually saved a bit versus buying them when I get back home. I'm also on the fence about Close Up, as well as Vivre sa vie.

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex

zeroordie posted:

I'm also on the fence about Close Up, as well as Vivre sa vie.

Even if you're not a Godard fan I recommend getting Vivre sa vie. It's a great film and the transfer is one of, if not the best transfers I've seen.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

zeroordie posted:

I'm in Hawaii visiting a friend right now. I swung by a FedEx and printed coupons off, tax here is only 4.7%, so I actually saved a bit versus buying them when I get back home.

You other states and your sales taxes are so cute. Too bad you're not visiting a friend in Oregon.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

FitFortDanga posted:

You other states and your sales taxes are so cute. Too bad you're not visiting a friend in Oregon.

Delaware too. Our motto "Tax free shopping and pretty close to places you'd rather be!"

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Rush Hour Renegade posted:

Save yourself a trip and email Jon Mulvaney. I had this happen to me on a copy of Variety Lights, I had bought it before it went OOP but didn't open it until much later. He mailed me a new insert right away for no charge. You should have no problem getting one. Email him at mulvaney@criterion.com and let him know the situation.
I had already gone back to B&N before you posted this, but thanks anyhow. They're getting a new copy in a couple of days, but are letting me keep the insert-less one until then, so that's pretty nice. Although, I think that I will ask him if it's possible to replace my Schizopolis booklet and case (probably not the case), which I lost a few years ago.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Wake up this morning, check to see what's new on Facebook, and what do I see?

Looks like a new edition of Royal Tenenbaums is in the works.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
More blu-ray Wes Anderson is nice.

Funkyboss
Feb 24, 2002
The nice manager at the Barnes & Noble near me gave the OK to use that new member $5 off coupon on all 5 Criterion blurays I picked up yesterday so I got The Man Who Fell to Earth, El Norte, M, Kagemusha and Repulsion all for $14.05 apiece after tax. I had picked up the Yojimbo/Sanjuro set earlier in the day for about $28 so I had a nice haul. Started watching Yojimbo last night and got about halfway through. Fantastic movie but I just got tired. I'm only starting to get into Kurosawa but I like what I've seen - just wish Criterion would do a bluray of Ikiru.

I remember seeing a movie in High School Spanish class and for some reason it popped into my head a couple of months back. A quick Google search showed that it was actually El Norte so I was really glad to pick that one up. I've heard mixed things about Man Who Fell to Earth but considering I love David Bowie and it's OOP at that price it was a no-brainer. Hoping to pick up Che later today.

Oh and yay for new Royal Tenenbaums! I love that movie and basically exhausted the contents of the DVD over a couple of days last year.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Bah, Criterion's new site design means you can longer :f5: the front page in hopes of catching a glimpse of the upcoming titles before they're officially posted.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Since I don't have a Blu-ray player or HDTV but plan to eventually, I'm currently avoiding purchasing DVDs that are also available on Blu-ray (I want to avoid double dipping as much as possible). I do, however, I want to take advantage of this sale so I need some recommendations for the best Criterions that don't have BD counterparts. Thanks.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

caiman posted:

Since I don't have a Blu-ray player or HDTV but plan to eventually, I'm currently avoiding purchasing DVDs that are also available on Blu-ray (I want to avoid double dipping as much as possible). I do, however, I want to take advantage of this sale so I need some recommendations for the best Criterions that don't have BD counterparts. Thanks.

Considering that's a tremendous amount to recommend, what kind of stuff do you generally enjoy watching to the point that you want to own it?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

postmodifier posted:

Considering that's a tremendous amount to recommend, what kind of stuff do you generally enjoy watching to the point that you want to own it?

Ok yeah, that was a bit too vague of a request. I like all sorts of stuff, and really I have yet to see a movie released by Criterion that I've hated. And I trust the opinions of most people on this forum. So maybe putting it this way will help: if you had to buy five Criterions that are only available on SDVD, what would they be?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

caiman posted:

Ok yeah, that was a bit too vague of a request. I like all sorts of stuff, and really I have yet to see a movie released by Criterion that I've hated. And I trust the opinions of most people on this forum. So maybe putting it this way will help: if you had to buy five Criterions that are only available on SDVD, what would they be?

Man, that's still a tall order. I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending under such vague parameters.

I guess here's five I really love that I don't think are likely to get released on Blu any time soon.

The Browning Version
An Angel At My Table
I Fidanzati
The Exterminating Angel
Twenty-Four Eyes

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FitFortDanga posted:

Man, that's still a tall order. I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending under such vague parameters.

I guess here's five I really love that I don't think are likely to get released on Blu any time soon.

The Browning Version
An Angel At My Table
I Fidanzati
The Exterminating Angel
Twenty-Four Eyes

Thanks, this is what I'm wanting.

I don't want to specify my tastes too much because I don't want any good recommendations to be left out.

How is Le Samourai (both movie and DVD)? I haven't seen any Melville, and this one is only $15.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
Under the Volcano, Last Days of Disco, Kicking and Screaming, Jeanne Dielman..., La Ronde

I tend not to buy a tremendous amount of Criterion titles since I have such open and easy access to the full catalog, but the above five are ones some of the few that I enjoy enough to own a personal copy, and tend to be pretty good crowd-pleasers especially for people who haven't heard of them before~

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

postmodifier posted:

Jeanne Dielman...

pretty good crowd-pleasers

I think Jeanne Dielman is a great movie but never in a million years would I refer to it as a crowd pleaser.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
I originally had put "most of them tend to be crowd-pleasers" with specifically Jeanne Dielman in mind as the one movie that I wouldn't exactly invite people over to watch, but the rest are pretty great. Your milage may vary, I hang out with a lot of people who would love to host a Jeanne Dielman Night.

Movie-watching, button-sewing and cutlets all night long, yes please!

postmodifier fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 15, 2010

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

caiman posted:

How is Le Samourai (both movie and DVD)? I haven't seen any Melville, and this one is only $15.

It's my personal favourite of his and everyone I have shown it to loved it. (I also own Army of Shadows, Bob le Flambeur and Le Cercle Rouge and would rank them in that order)

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

caiman posted:

Thanks, this is what I'm wanting.

I don't want to specify my tastes too much because I don't want any good recommendations to be left out.

I wholeheartedly endorse this film.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Le Samourai is amazing. I hope that one gets a blu in the next year or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Also, the next round of announcements is for October, right? I'm hoping they go with the all horror round so we can get The Night of the Hunter, Hausu, and Videodrome all in one fell swoop. But basically I just want The Night of the Hunter ASAP.