Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Democrazy posted:

Slaton showed immense talent his first year in the Texans. In the second he seemed to be off, like he could never catch a break. His biggest problem was that he always seemed to fumble the ball at the most inappropriate times. I still think he could bounce back.

EDIT: Sorry I haven't posted my defensive intro yet. It's getting pretty long and I've been busier than expected. hopefully we'll be able to compile all the info in this thread into an easy-to-follow guide for the season.

Slaton's problem last year was a residual neck injury that supposedly made him fumble the ball because being hit in a certain place RENDERED HIM MOMENTARILY UNCONSCIOUS, if his neck gets better he should be alright but if not I'd say his career is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
That is a pretty hardcore injury to play through if that's true. Maybe AP has it too.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Blackula69 posted:

That is a pretty hardcore injury to play through if that's true. Maybe AP has it too.

There's a spot you can hit AP which renders him momentarily mortal.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

SonOfDonkeyman posted:

Slaton's problem last year was a residual neck injury that supposedly made him fumble the ball because being hit in a certain place RENDERED HIM MOMENTARILY UNCONSCIOUS, if his neck gets better he should be alright but if not I'd say his career is done.

poo poo, I didn't know he went unconscious, I thought he just had no feeling in his hand the whole season due to a pinched nerve.

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

Dominion posted:

There's a spot you can hit AP which renders him momentarily mortal.

Yeah it's called the playoffs.

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday

nnnAdam posted:

Yeah it's called the playoffs.

:fry: That is not even nice.

Dankzilla
Dec 8, 2005

"hey Clay, how's Groy's ass lookin?"
Why did everyone start calling AD AP?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Dankzilla posted:

Why did everyone start calling AD AP?

AP are his initials.

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers
Wait, I thought people called him AD more than AP? I thought the All Day nickname was used a lot more often, am I wrong?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
No everybody calls him AP now because they are morons.

He's Purple Jesus anyway because initial nicknames suck.

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER
I think we really need to all get on the same page with this. We need to pick one and stick with it. Is he All Day, or AD? or is he AP as per his initials. PJ is lame, even though he is clad in purple and displays running qualities that would make the messiah envious.

I vote for AP, but we need a consensus.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Larch posted:

I think we really need to all get on the same page with this. We need to pick one and stick with it. Is he All Day, or AD? or is he AP as per his initials. PJ is lame, even though he is clad in purple and displays running qualities that would make the messiah envious.

He's Vikings McFumblealot

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
I vote for The Daily Show due to his ability to put on a show while playing football plus his name is Adrian Peterson.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Can someone who understands the salary cap/floor and other stuff from the CBA better than I do perhaps write something up on it? Maybe even talk about the rookie salary pool and slotting scale for the draft?

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

No Safe Word posted:

Can someone who understands the salary cap/floor and other stuff from the CBA better than I do perhaps write something up on it? Maybe even talk about the rookie salary pool and slotting scale for the draft?

We don't really have a frame of reference right now because there isn't a CBA and the rookie salary pool and slotting scale may not even happen. I certainly think they will but we should probably hold off until a new CBA is signed. Soon, with any luck.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

We don't really have a frame of reference right now because there isn't a CBA and the rookie salary pool and slotting scale may not even happen. I certainly think they will but we should probably hold off until a new CBA is signed. Soon, with any luck.

I meant more just what the concepts are, not necessarily the actual numbers. I can't imagine the whole floor/cap structure going away, and even if it did it might be good to at least understand why there have been no Yankees-like clubs that have tons of high priced free agents. Also if there have been instances of cap violations that are notable, that'd be cool.

edit: perhaps just a post on the player's union and what it means to the league and how they operate under the CBA and what the CBA does for the league and the players might be good

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Larch posted:

The "first initial, shortened last name" convention would result in him being "A-Pete".

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Okay, let's start with how the salary cap and current CBA came to be.

Until 1957, professional sports leagues operated under the reserve rule which meant any player signed was under a lifetime contract with that team. This was struck down by the supreme court in '57, and until '63, the owners simply had a gentleman's agreement to not sign other team's free agents. The Colts owner signed away a player from the 49'ers, breaking the agreement and leading to Pete Rozelle instating the Rozelle Rule in '63. During the '50's the reverse order draft began as well, an important part of future competitive balance arguments.

The Rozelle Rule allowed the commissioner to compensate a team that lost a free agent to another team by taking draft picks and players from the receiving team when they signed a free agent. The commissioner tried to eliminate players from changing teams by awarding excessive compensation to teams. From '63-'76 when the Rozelle Rule was eliminated, 176 players attempted free agency, 34 players signed with different teams as free agents, and only 4 involved compensation disputes that resulted in the Rozelle Rule being used. Rozelle also ended cash for player trades which were a major issue for competitive balance. Also of note, that this period of time is when revenue sharing started, with the home teams giving a 10-20% split (10% for the NFC, 20% for the AFC) of gate revenue for games to the road teams.

In 1976, John Mackey sued the league and had the Rozelle Rule struck down due to anti-trust violations. The NFLPA then negotiated a replacement to prevent free agency that replaced the commissioner's discretion with a set formula for reimbursement. The NFLPA was able to secure health care coverage and retirement benefits in this agreement, however, this version of free agency was more restrictive then the "Rozelle Rule" method, with only 3 players changing teams due to it from '77-'88.

In 1982, the players attempted to strike, which lasted for two months into the season, and sued the league for further violations of anti-trust. However, due to the NFLPA negotiations in '76, the players lost, and were faced with the option of receiving free agency only by ending the current collective bargaining agreement (CBA) and disbanding the NFLPA.

In 1987, the players struck again, and disbanded the NFLPA and reformed it as a separate professional organization, ending the current CBA, and sued the NFL for anti-trust exemptions. This resulted in a new CBA in 1988 and "Plan B" free agency. This allowed teams to have a 37 player reserve list out of the 47 man roster. Players on this list were not allowed to sign with another team without giving their original team the right to match the contract. Furthermore, if the team refused to match the contract, the receiving team had to compensate with draft picks.

In 1992-1993 a series of court cases resulted in eight players suing the NFL for anti-trust violations and won. (On a side note, the Jury pool for this case started with a pool of 41 people and got down to 9, all women, after eliminating everyone who had union ties or argued that professional athletes / owners made too much money.) The CBA for the 1993 season saw the owners argue for and win the Salary Cap. This CBA also notably set NFL player contracts to be non-guaranteed and that players could be released at any point during the off season at no penalty to the team and introduced the rules for franchise and transition players.

The 1993 CBA set the salary cap to a percentage of the defined gross revenue (DGR), which included ticket, merchandise and the newly consolidated national TV contracts. For 1994, the first year of the salary cap, this was $34.6 million. The percentage of the DGR applied to the salary cap slowly increased to 65.5% by 2005, when the latest CBA took effect. This CBA changed from the DGR model to a total team revenue model, which saw the salary cap increase from $85.5 million in 2005 to $102 million for 2006, and increased by roughly 1% of team revenue per year, resulting in the $128 million Salary Cap last season. Also relative to the salary cap is the salary floor, which was initially set at approximately 80% of the salary cap, and increased per year, until it was scheduled to be 90% of the salary cap by 2011.

Super short version: gently caress the owners.

Okay, time to work, but I'll try to add to this as I can, or someone else can add in the rookie pool information and other aspects of the CBA. I probably also forgot and glossed over some things here and there if anyone wants to add anything they can think of.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 14, 2010

JuicedSixFo
Mar 16, 2007

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Gonna use this, actually.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
It's like Fumbles McStupid except not as funny

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Let me come up with a disparaging term for LeDanli-- oh

JuicedSixFo
Mar 16, 2007
Adrian "Butt" Peterson

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

Gendo posted:

Let me come up with a disparaging term for LeDanli-- oh

It's a shame LDT was so good holding onto the ball and only his wife had issues miscarrying things, this would be so much easier. Well I guess I'll see you all in Hell now!

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
god drat

BigJake
Apr 27, 2007

by Ozmaugh

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

we're gonna get a NFL and NBA lockout in the same year, please let the MLS have one too

nnnAdam posted:

It's a shame LDT was so good holding onto the ball and only his wife had issues miscarrying things, this would be so much easier. Well I guess I'll see you all in Hell now!

:lol:

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

BigJake posted:

we're gonna get a NFL and NBA lockout in the same year, please let the MLS have one too

The NHL's only hope.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

JuicedSixFo posted:

Adrian "Butt" Peterson

Oh come on, that's stupid. It's "Butts".

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Larch posted:

A"AD""PJ"P or AADPJP for short. It's really the only way.

JuicedSixFo
Mar 16, 2007

Arschlochkind posted:

Oh come on, that's stupid. It's "Butts".

I didn't wanna go back and edit because that little "person edited" message ruins jokes. But you are right.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Ape-erson?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I finally splerge on an HDTV and we get a triple lockout year.

At least I'll have UNC basketb--:suicide:

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Hey they'll be good this year.

Anyway, fantastic writeup by Kalli.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I'm going to talk about one of my favorite plays: the triple option. What is the triple option? Well, it's name is self explanatory. On any given play, the ball will be in the hands of at least one of three players. This was the base play of my offense for two years of high school, so I've run it a bit. I'm not 100 percent on the history, but I believe it was created to combat the 5-3 defensive front over half a century ago. I think it became famous when Paul 'Bear' Bryant broke it out in the early 70s against USC, after running an entirely different offense for the media practices. The prevalence of the triple option there after I think helped the innovation of the technique-heavy 4-3 defensive front, which is still one of the premier defensive fronts on the higher levels today. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS THE VERSION I RAN IN HIGH SCHOOL, AND LIKE EVERYTHING IN FOOTBALL, NOT THE ONLY WAY TO DO THIS.

ADVANTAGES: You control the ball, and distribute it to the best player every time based on what the defense gives you. This offense will control the ball, slowly grinding it down the field and taking 8-10 minutes a drive before scoring on your face, putting you at a distinct time disadvantage. In order to stop this here play/offense, the defense needs to be incredibly smart, fast, and educated which throws a lot of teams off. Coach told a story of one college (can't remember the name) wanting to defend the triple option, so instead of just preparing for it in one week, he made the base offense the triple option to give the defense many looks. I dunno if it's true or not, but this offense is very special.

DISADVANTAGES: It's one of the most technique-intensive offenses ever created. This means that one of the backs running just 6 inches off the right path with destroy the play. Also, everyone on the team has to be incredibly educated and preferably intelligent, because on any given play there are like 5 or 6 reads that players have to make correctly for the play to develop. Also, speedy defenses can eat this up, which is why you don't see any of it in the NFL, and only a few teams in the NCAA. What about high school, you ask? Most of those guys aren't smart enough or dedicated to studying technique or film to make this work, which was unfortunately my experience.

Alright, so what do you need position wise to run this beast?

QB: Smart, quick, techinque'd, can throw on the run (we won't cover this), can read well, has no fear of running RIGHT DOWN THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE AND GETTING EATEN BY A DEFENSIVE END ARGHHHHH

FB: This guy is a bruiser, who will take the brunt of the tackles as he'll probably end up getting the carries. Also, a very good blocker. Basically your typical power running FB circa the 70s.

RBs: Quick, can find lanes, adjustable speed, above average blockers, and DOES NOT RUN EAST/WEST. Must run North/South immediately once getting the ball.

O-Line/TE: This along with the QB is the most unique thing about the offense aside from the QB. We don't want bruisers here; we want smaller, quicker lineman who make great angle blocks and are able to pursue linebackers and pull at will. This is why Army and Navy typically run the triple option; the prototypical lineman can't survive boot camp. They just use beefier guys up front than normal, but your Orlando Paces and whatnot cannot practice after running military drills. The TE needs to be able to block incredibly well rather than catch passes. They do go out for passes at times, but the value is placed in blocking.

Alright, now that's out of the way, let's look at the formation we will be running:

We will be running the play to the right, so THIS FORMATION WILL BE FLIPPED this time. The QB and FB are in the normal positions, the TE is opposite of the play, the RBs are split evenly behind the center and the WR is split out playside. We won't cover everything here, but we can attack from any point in this formation as it's pretty much balanced, which continues to keep the defense guessing.

GAPS:

Basically, everything to the right of the center has an even number, and everything to the left of the center has an odd number. The gap between Center and right side guard is 2, between right side guard and right side tackle is 4, between right side tackle and tight end (whether he's there or not) is 6, and the gap between the TE and sideline is 8. On the left side, you have center-guard 1, guard-tackle 3, tackle-TE 5, TE-side line 7. Pretty easy stuff. Other numbering systems exist, of course, but this is what I believe to be the best and I think most common developed. We also label gaps by letters: the 1 and 2 gaps are A, 3 and 4 gaps B, 5 and 6 gaps C, and 7 and 8 gaps D.

THE PLAY:

Just a note: this is the only available picture I have, so this isn't exactly how I ran it, but you get a general idea. This is from Bear Bryant's 1973 playbook. Basically, the players with the shades are the players who will possibly touch the ball. AGAIN, I WILL DEVIATE FROM THIS DIAGRAM SO STAY WITH ME.

RULES BREAKDOWN:
Backside TE, OT, and OG: Do what we call a 'scoop' block. this means stepping to the play side gap closest to you, and sealing it off so that no one penetrates into the backfield or the past your gap. TE will scoop 5 gap, OT 3, and guard 1. Basically, you step at about a 30 degree angle toward the gap, then either block the guy there, or turn up field and catch a drifting LB or safety. In this diagram, the scoop blocks as they read on paper are the TE picking up the T right there, the Tackle picking up the B, and the Guard hitting the nose, and then turning up field to catch the safety. The scoop block is one of the easiest blocks to understand, hardest to execute, and still as beneficial to the success of the play as the play side blocks. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE.

Center: On, Nearest Linebacker. On means that if there's a man anywhere on the center, you block him. If there isn't a man anywhere on the center, he basically does a scoop block to seal off a linebacker.

Play side Guard: Head Up, Inside, Nearest Linebacker. If the defensive player is heads up, the guard blocks him. If he isn't heads up, the guard will step to the inside, A gap in this case, and block the guy there or on the center. If a man is not in any of those 3 spots, he will step to the play side A gap and pick up the nearest LB. IMPORTANT NOTE: If a man is on the outside shade of the guard, THE GUARD DOES NOT BLOCK HIM. This is important.

Play side Tackle: Help the Play side Guard, Nearest Linebacker. If there's a man head up on the guard, the tackle double teams him to seal off that gap and make a nice running lane. If the man is inside or outside of the guard, the tackle steps to the play side B gap and looks for a LB to pop in the jaw.

WR: Block the corner on you. Simple.

FB: Run full speed to the play side A or B gap, pending on where the hole forms. You may get the ball, you may not, we'll cover that in a second. If you get the ball, run for greener pastures. If not, block the hole off, making the defense thing you have the ball.

Play side RB: Run an arc, and block the LB or safety or whatever in the D gap. You need to connect on the block, and that will open a lane.

Back side RB: You need to run with the QB, no matter how fast or slow. Stay about a yard behind him, with about 3-4 yards between you, ready to catch a pitch. Then, you turn up field and hopefully score. Be sure to not get too close or too far from your QB, or it will be disastrous.

QB: Ahhh, I saved the best for last: the literal focal point of the entire offense. You control who gets the ball through a series of reads, which are very complicated and have no window for failure. One thing to note that may not be immediately noticed is that the offensive line will leave 2-3 people on the LOS unblocked, which allows them to make their own mistakes for the QB to read and make decisions upon.

1st Read: Give the ball to the FB blowing up the A or B gap, wherever the lane forms. You accomplish this by taking the snap, and staring down the man on the line of scrimmage closest to the Center, from the B gap or out, to see if he's crashing. In the diagram, it's the T. If there's a man crashing in on the FB, don't give it to him. Otherwise, do give it to him. This will be what happens most of the time.

THEN NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS: Hold your arms in front of you like the baboon from the Lion King holding Simba, only at chest level and closer to your chest. You may have the ball, you may not, BUT YOU STILL CARRY THROUGH WITH THIS. Run parallel with the line of scrimmage RIGHT BEHIND the butts of your linemen. If you start to arc out or stray into the backfield, the defense will be able to cover you and the RB at once, which is detrimental to the philosophy of this play, so stick close to the LOS and prepare for your next read.

2nd Read: Stare at the next guy out from the LOS, on the LOS. It may be the C gap, it may be the B gap. In the diagram above, it's the E. If this man is not looking to tackle you, keep the ball and turn up field. If he's looking to tackle you:

3rd Read: If you're about to get tackled, check out your RB. If he's not being keyed, or about to be tackled, pitch it to him. If he's about to be swallowed, keep the ball, and eat the tackle. Live to fight another day with only a -1 or -2 yard gain rather than -5.

Basically the plan works like this:

We'll run our FB down your throats for 3-5 yards at a time. You get tired, and decide to plug his lane, so we take the party outside. If you tackle me, good job, my RB will run 20 yards down the field and make you feel like a fool. If you don't tackle me, I will do the same while you spin in circles like a preschooler. If you shut down all 3 options, good job, you have an incredible defense and should win every game ever.

This is a fun offense if you have the right personnel. If not, you are in for a world of hurt, just ask my 2-37 high school record. Enjoy this footage of the triple option in beautiful, beautiful motion. Notice how the clock starts at about 14:20 and look at the clock after they score.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPNEODRmYX0

Hope you guys enjoy. As for a question: What are the trademarks and base play for the Wing-T offense?

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

The option became famous long before Bear Bryant and the 70s. It was essentially the standard college offense for decades, just out of a variety of different formations. The Wing-T is basically just a variation on the same theme, using a wingback as an option instead of another running back. Princeton made the Wing-T famous in the 50s and 60s, and Dick Kazmeier won the Heisman in it. My father played wingback for Princeton when Hank Bjorklund was the star tailback there, though if I recall they switched to a more modern, two running back offense during his sophomore or junior year.

Today's Wildcat is basically a variation of the Wing-T, where the wingback gets a lot more play. In the original Wing-T, the wingback was mostly a blocker, coming on the jet option only rarely.

HeroOfTheRevolution fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 21, 2010

TheSkipster
Jul 1, 2004

He's thinking of the wishbone which was started by Texas in the late 60's and adopted by OU and Alabama two years later. OU ran it into the early 90s.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Ah, thank you for correcting me. Like I said, I'm not much of a college fan, so I'm sketchy on a lot of things, and very sketchy on the actual history of the game.

Bible Patriot
Apr 6, 2005

by Fistgrrl

JuicedSixFo posted:

Adrian "Butt" Peterson

I thought someone else already had dibs on that one.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
All of the Chiefs signings so far have had guaranteed roster bonuses instead of signing bonuses. This would probably be really interesting if I knew anything about NFL contracts. Anyone care to explain?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Groucho Marxist posted:

All of the Chiefs signings so far have had guaranteed roster bonuses instead of signing bonuses. This would probably be really interesting if I knew anything about NFL contracts. Anyone care to explain?

Signing bonuses are spread out as a cap hit over the length of a contract, whereas roster bonuses are applied to the year they're given out. Since there's no salary cap this year, but almost assured to be one next year, you can give out roster bonuses in lieu of signing bonuses to move costs to this season.

Also of note, that the year the roster bonus is applied based on the date it's supposed to be paid and manipulating these numbers can move it between years. So, I wouldn't be surprised if some amount of those roster bonuses aren't technically setup to be paid out next march - april where it would still account against this year's non-existent cap.

Also, roster bonuses don't have to be paid if you cut the player before it's scheduled to be paid, so teams can hedge their bets a bit that way. Of course, getting a top draft pick to agree to taking those over a big signing bonus.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Kalli posted:

Signing bonuses are spread out as a cap hit over the length of a contract, whereas roster bonuses are applied to the year they're given out. Since there's no salary cap this year, but almost assured to be one next year, you can give out roster bonuses in lieu of signing bonuses to move costs to this season.

Also of note, that the year the roster bonus is applied based on the date it's supposed to be paid and manipulating these numbers can move it between years. So, I wouldn't be surprised if some amount of those roster bonuses aren't technically setup to be paid out next march - april where it would still account against this year's non-existent cap.

Also, roster bonuses don't have to be paid if you cut the player before it's scheduled to be paid, so teams can hedge their bets a bit that way. Of course, getting a top draft pick to agree to taking those over a big signing bonus.....

Yeah, it's only been a 3rd round pick and a couple of 5ths to do this so far. I imagine Berry/McCluster/Arenas all have signing bonuses. Thanks for the info, it's always fun finding out new ways Pioli owns.

• Locked thread