Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

caiman posted:

Ok yeah, that was a bit too vague of a request. I like all sorts of stuff, and really I have yet to see a movie released by Criterion that I've hated. And I trust the opinions of most people on this forum. So maybe putting it this way will help: if you had to buy five Criterions that are only available on SDVD, what would they be?

Kurosawa's Ran is a great film to pick up now on DVD. It was supposed to be one of their first bluray releases but they ran into licensing problems and couldn't do it so you're probably fine to get it now.

And yeah definitely check out Le Samourai for a cool French crime flick. After you watch it check out Jim Jarmusch's Ghost Dog to see a modern film that was heavily inspired by Le Samourai.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

mod sassinator posted:

Kurosawa's Ran is a great film to pick up now on DVD. It was supposed to be one of their first bluray releases but they ran into licensing problems and couldn't do it so you're probably fine to get it now.

The Criterion edition of Ran is out of print.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
I'm interested in picking up the By Brakhage set on Blu, but honestly I'm not sure what to expect from it. I've read some basic stuff about Brakhage and it sounds interesting, but can anyone who has the anthology comment?

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

mod sassinator posted:

And yeah definitely check out Le Samourai for a cool French crime flick. After you watch it check out Jim Jarmusch's Ghost Dog to see a modern film that was heavily inspired by Le Samourai.

If you're going to do this, you might as well grab Seijun Suzuki's Branded to Kill as well since it's the other huge influence on Ghost Dog.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mr. Fun posted:

I'm interested in picking up the By Brakhage set on Blu, but honestly I'm not sure what to expect from it. I've read some basic stuff about Brakhage and it sounds interesting, but can anyone who has the anthology comment?

Have you seen any of his films? Some of them are on youtube, I'd check a few out to see if it's something you'd like.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
For some reason I never checked Youtube, thanks bro.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Spine 537 (DVD and Blu-Ray):

Spine 539 (DVD and Blu-Ray):

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 15, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Oh gently caress yes

The Magician, Paths of Glory, Hausu, The Darjeeling Limited

details to follow

EPIC MONTH

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#537 - THE MAGICIAN (DVD/BR - Oct 12)

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* New visual essay by Bergman scholar Peter Cowie
* Brief 1967 video interview with director Ingmar Bergman about the film
* Rare English-language audio interview with Bergman, conducted by filmmakers Olivier Assayas and Stig Björkman
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Geoff Andrew, a reprinted essay by Assayas, and an excerpt from Bergman’s autobiography Images: My Life in Film

#538 - PATHS OF GLORY (DVD/BR - Oct 26)

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* New audio commentary by critic Gary Giddins
* Television interview from 1979 with star Kirk Douglas
* New video interviews with Kubrick’s longtime executive producer Jan Harlan, Paths of Glory producer James B. Harris, and actress Christiane Kubrick
* Excerpt from a French television program about real-life World War I executions similar to the events dramatized in Paths of Glory
* Theatrical trailer
* PLUS: An essay by Kubrick scholar James Naremore

#539 - HOUSE (DVD/BR - Oct 26)

* Constructing a House, a new video piece featuring interviews with director Nobuhiko Obayashi, story scenarist and daughter of the director Chigumi Obayashi, and screenwriter Chiho Katsura
* Emotion, a 1966 experimental film by Obayashi
* New video appreciation by director Ti West (House of the Devil)
* Theatrical trailer
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: An essay by Chuck Stephens

#540 - THE DARJEELING LIMITED (2-disc DVD/BR - Oct 12)

* New high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Wes Anderson (with DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition)
* Anderson’s short film Hotel Chevalier (part one of The Darjeeling Limited), starring Natalie Portman, with commentary by Anderson
* Audio commentary featuring Anderson and cowriters Jason Schwartzman and Roman Coppola
* Behind-the-scenes documentary by Barry Braverman
* Anderson and filmmaker James Ivory discussing the film’s music
* Anderson’s American Express commercial
* On-set footage shot by Coppola and actor Waris Ahluwalia
* Audition footage, deleted and alternate scenes, and stills galleries
* Original theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Richard Brody and original illustrations by Eric Anderson

#2 - SEVEN SAMURAI (2-disc BR - Oct 19)

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 15, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Every title a must-buy for me, even if three of them are replacements for DVDs I already own. Massive upgrades for Paths and Darjeeling. The Magician isn't one of my favorite Bergmans, but it's still a pretty good one. And I'm THRILLED that they're including "Emotion" on the House disc, it's Obayashi's best short.

Woohoo!

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Wow, that's a great lineup. Paths of Glory is the only thing keeping me from 100% excitement, just because I'm almost totally ignorant of it. I've got it on my Netflix instant queue; maybe I'll watch it this weekend.

Only way the month could have been better would have involved Videodrome, I guess that's going to be November or December.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mustach posted:

Wow, that's a great lineup. Paths of Glory is the only thing keeping me from 100% excitement, just because I'm almost totally ignorant of it. I've got it on my Netflix instant queue; maybe I'll watch it this weekend.

It's one of his best films, no kidding.

Mr. Fun posted:

Like PA said, check some out on YouTube, and try to sample a wide variety. I can guarantee there's no way you'll like EVERYTHING in the set, it covers a lot of ground.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Boo, less Darjeeling and more Life Aquatic.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Paths of Glory is an instant pre-order. It's 100% worth a blind-buy in case you haven't seen it yet.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I am absolutely thrilled about Paths of Glory. It never fails to move me. Any info on the the Bergman or House? I've never heard The Magician before. I saw the trailer for House they had up a while ago and it looked pretty interesting. Has any one seen it and can comment on it?

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I am so excited for each of these, after watching the Seventh Seal bluray I decided to blind buy every Ingmar Bergman bluray Criterion puts out. I also get to see House at the end of the month in theaters. This'll be the first month where I buy every single Criterion release.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I am absolutely thrilled about Paths of Glory. It never fails to move me. Any info on the the Bergman or House? I've never heard The Magician before. I saw the trailer for House they had up a while ago and it looked pretty interesting. Has any one seen it and can comment on it?

House is brilliant insanity. There's a thread on it here.

As for The Magician, a lot of people think it's one of Bergman's best, I'd put it on the second tier. Here's my two earlier reviews:

FitFortDanga posted:

It's interesting to note where The Magician falls in Bergman's filmography. It comes soon after Seventh Seal, and one can see a similarity in the anecdotal structure, the cast of distinct characters who get their own scenes. It also comes just after Wild Strawberries, and again there is a similarity between the two -- the constrast of light and dark, comedy and drama/horror. The Magician also connects with Bergman's "faith trilogy" which would come a couple of years later, as it raises questions about faith and provides no clear answers. One can easily see Bergman is struggling with these issues. Some of Von Sydow's acting is a bit hokey (even when he's not "in character") but otherwise a very entertaining and thought-provoking piece. Rating: 8

FitFortDanga posted:

Kind of an odd one in Bergman's career. Some call it a religious allegory (even going so far as to call Vogler a stand-in for Jesus), and while there is something to that, I think it's more about the magic of film and theater. While Bergman achieved fantastic success mixing comedy and drama in Seventh Seal, it often doesn't quite work here. For instance, the scene with Mrs. Egerman confessing to Vogler and coming on to him is a fine scene, but it feels pasted in. But if it doesn't always gel, it does have some great moments and is generally pretty entertaining, with the usual strong performances. Gunnar Fischer's photography is quite wonderful, too. Rating: 7

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

FitFortDanga posted:

House is brilliant insanity. There's a thread on it here.

As for The Magician, a lot of people think it's one of Bergman's best, I'd put it on the second tier. Here's my two earlier reviews:

Thanks a bunch FitFortDanga. Now I defiantly want to check these out. Too bad I have to wait until October. Criterion really is the ultimate tease.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

FitFortDanga posted:

The Darjeeling Limited
details to follow

EPIC MONTH
Whoa, they cleared up the rights issues when Wes Anderson went to Fox? I'm finally going to get a real DVD of The Darjeeling Limited?

Oh gently caress. Oh god oh god.

The only thing beating this round of Criterions is when they announce Blurays for Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaums. And Ran, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I do wonder if we'll see a Criterion of Fantastic Mr Fox. The Fox Bluray really isn't bad.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Boo, less Darjeeling and more Life Aquatic.
You know that Fox version of the Rushmore DVD that only has a lovely transfer and a theatrical trailer? That's all that The Darjeeling Limited has had since it was released. At least Life Aquatic has a Criterion DVD.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 15, 2010

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Wow. I really hope there's another B&N sale in November like there was last year because of the five, four are must-haves and the fifth (Darjeeling) I haven't seen but want to.

(Boo to no Night of the Hunter though. :()

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I'm not a fan of Bergman, but I love that cover, it makes me want to check the movie out. Never saw "Paths of Glory", but that sounds interesting as well.

I may pick up Darjeeling, because I did like the movie, but never got the DVD.

I wish I understood the hype behind "House", sure it's kinda "wacky", but I also found it extremely boring.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Whoaa shiiit, this is a hell of a month. Also, every new release is also coming to Blu-Ray, is that a first? Five Blu-Rays altogether, they must be selling well.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
I'm glad that House has one of Obayashi's shorts on it.

zandert33 posted:

I wish I understood the hype behind "House", sure it's kinda "wacky", but I also found it extremely boring.

I guess if you find "wacky" and "insane" to be boring, then yeh House is the most boring movie ever made.

And yeah, I'd rather see Life Aquatic on blu-ray than Darjeeling.

Is that all for this month? No Eclipse set?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Not just one of them, but the best one. They couldn't have made a better choice.

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Is that all for this month? No Eclipse set?

No Eclipse set, but I would hardly qualify this stellar lineup with "is that all?".

I think this is the first month where I'm buying every title.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

HOLY poo poo WHAT A MONTH!

Wow. The Magician on blu-ray, I am stupid excited for that. (and everything else being released, wow.)

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I guess if you find "wacky" and "insane" to be boring, then yeh House is the most boring movie ever made.

That's not what I'm saying, but the fact is that "wacky" and "insane" doesn't automatically make for a good movie either.

In the same vein I've seen some action movies that I found completely boring as well.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Oh God, Paths of Glory is one of my favorite films, Hausu is truly amazing, I've been wanting to see The Darjeeling Limited for some time, thinking about how good Seven Samurai will look on Blu-ray makes me drool (I own the 3-disc on SDVD), and the cover for The Magician makes me want to own it sight unseen.

I think it's time to jump on the blu-ray bandwagon.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

You know that Fox version of the Rushmore DVD that only has a lovely transfer and a theatrical trailer? That's all that The Darjeeling Limited has had since it was released. At least Life Aquatic has a Criterion DVD.

That's all fine and good but The Life Aquatic is a better film and I'd rather see a barebones blu of it than a super deluxe version of a film that I thought was pretty mediocre.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I picked up "Brand Upon The Brain!" on dvd and the Blu-Ray of "Vivre sa Vie" at B&N today. I've never seen either but they look like things I'd find entertaining.

I'm considering going back for one of the Eclipse series sets they have. "Oshima's Outlaw Sixties" looks interesting as did an Ozu set I looked at.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I saw Brand Upon the Brain at a screening with Guy Maddin in attendance and yeah, you should have fun with that one. Although maybe for that reason I've avoided buying the DVD.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
My best friend bugged me to see The Darjeeling Limited for like 6 months. I broke down and watched it with him one time. It's a quirky movie that I liked. I like the camaraderie, all subtle screwball humor, and all the connections. I never bought it. Probably a good thing. I have a strong feeling I'll have to double dip too since his birthday is in November...

And then we come to Paths to Glory :cheers: My inner Kubrick geek is very happy.

Of course a Barnes and Noble sale will be nowhere in sight. :signings: Any decent long range suggestions? Or perhaps I should say, where do people normally buy Criterions.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

LaptopGun posted:

Of course a Barnes and Noble sale will be nowhere in sight. :signings: Any decent long range suggestions? Or perhaps I should say, where do people normally buy Criterions.

The prices on Amazon aren't so good right now, but around they holidays they were quite a bit lower (most of the ones I was looking at were under $25). Still not as good as the B&N sale but way better than most places.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

gently caress! October is gonna rock! :dance:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I remember that there was a B&N sale sometime before Christmas last year (maybe November) so if you can wait a bit longer...

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
These are from the press release, so they may not be the final cover art.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
According to the website there is going to be a Barns&Noble sale. 50% all Criterions, dvd and bluray. Well, there goes all my money. At least it is going to a good cause.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Hector Beerlioz posted:

According to the website there is going to be a Barns&Noble sale. 50% all Criterions, dvd and bluray. Well, there goes all my money. At least it is going to a good cause.

It's going on now: http://video.barnesandnoble.com/u/DVD-The-Criterion-Collection-of-Special-Edition-DVDs/379000756/?cds2Pid=32280

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
First day of the sale I went and grabbed the remaining Criterion Blus that I wanted (Chungking Express, Last Year at Marienbad, The Last Emperor, The Leopard and Red Desert) along with that Nagisa Oshima eclipse set.

I just went back and picked up Kurosawa's Dodesukaden and Godard's A Woman is a Woman (which is OOP) on the cheap.

Looks like they still have about half of the titles that were recently announced as out of print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That's all fine and good but The Life Aquatic is a better film and I'd rather see a barebones blu of it than a super deluxe version of a film that I thought was pretty mediocre.
This isn't a Bluray release, though. This is a new addition to the collection, and new additions get Blurays almost by default. Criterion's been waiting for three years for Fox to stop being such assholes over distribution rights for Darjeeling and they're not going to buy it because most of Wes's films aren't on Bluray yet.

And Life Aquatic is going to be the very last Wes Anderson movie to get a Bluray. Royal Tenenbaums is going to get priority and they're probably going to redo the entire Rushmore DVD - most places still list it as out of print (even though it isn't anymore).

Whatever happened to that collection of two dozen or so films that Criterion lost the rights to? The one with Alphaville in it. Any news on what's happening to those?