Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Doctor Zero posted:

G'Kar says that every race has an analogue of Swedish Meatballs. I don't think they actually say they're Kosh's favorite, or even if it's true of Vorlons.

I always thought that was just a throw-away nod at the Hitchhiker's Guide bit about how most sentient races have an analog of 'gin and tonic.'

Adams posted:

It is a curious fact, and one to which no one knows quite how much importance to attach, that something like 85% of all known worlds in the Galaxy, be they primitive or highly advanced, have invented a drink called jynnan tonnyx, or gee-N’N-T’N-ix, or jinond-o-nicks, or any one of a thousand or more variations on the same phonetic theme. The drinks themselves are not the same, and vary between the Sivolvian “chinanto/mnigs” which is ordinary water served at slightly above room temperature, and the Gagrakackan “tzjin-anthony-ks” which kills cows at a hundred paces; and in fact the one common factor between all of them, beyond the fact that the names sound the same, is that they were all invented and named before the worlds concerned made contact with any other worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

NO ONE TOLD ME THERE WAS A NEW THREAD!

I guess I'll make my usual post:

Brokeback Babylon - a new film detailing the greatest relationship in Sci-Fi History.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyvuf29gUnY

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

rejutka posted:

...Including Jeffrey "Made by Shakers" Sinclair?

He's wooden at the start, yeah, but for some reason the character grew on me and I got really depressed that he vanished at the start of season 2 even though I knew it was coming already.

MiraariM
Nov 11, 2005

.sleeh ni ,sdrawkcab ti od nac snaicigaM laeR
I've been rewatching the series lately. I had remembered some of the bad acting and dialogue, but good lord, I hadn't remembered just *how* bad. Some thoughts:

+ Mira Furlan and Bruce Boxleitner have absolutely no chemistry together and their scenes are totally awkward. Is there a story behind this? Was it the actors not really feeling it, or bad direction, or both? I've always assumed one of them had a jealous spouse or a weird religious conviction or something. Does anyone know what was up?

+ Andreas Katsulas and Peter Jurasik really do an amazing job throughout the show. Some of the character changes in the middle seasons feel a little abrupt, but mostly they don't feel out of place. I can't say enough good things about them.

+ Why do more than half of JMS' sentences start with either "Now," or "Look,"? Why didn't somebody say something?

+ Speaking of which, Jerry Doyle's hair in the first three seasons. Why didn't somebody say something?!

+ So Sheridan's mom... died? ...or not...?

+ Although I loved Kosh, I'm a little surprised at how infrequently he actually appeared. I feel like there was a lot of potential in the character that disappeared once they revealed that the Vorlon were first ones.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Burning_Monk posted:

Wasn't there some line about how Londo never felt like he had a childhood. Like he was always expected to act in a proper way and he knew what he had to do.

Sadly I can't remember the specifics.

"My shoes are too tight, but it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance."?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MiraariM posted:

+ Mira Furlan and Bruce Boxleitner have absolutely no chemistry together and their scenes are totally awkward. Is there a story behind this? Was it the actors not really feeling it, or bad direction, or both? I've always assumed one of them had a jealous spouse or a weird religious conviction or something. Does anyone know what was up?

Yeah, they didn't exactly light up the screen when they were together. I don't think there was anything going on between the two of them behind the scenes, I think it was just a case of two actors just not really meshing too well, although they did get better as their storyline progressed.

Actually this is one of the things that annoyed me about Sinclair disappearing. Michael O'Hare had noticeably more chemistry with Mira Furlan than Bruce Boxleitner for whatever reason. Incidentally, this added a nice bit of subtext to War Without End, since Sheridan seemed a bit jealous about the way Sinclair and Delenn got along. It's a pity O'Hare was apparently such a flake he had to be dumped before Season 2 started.

quote:

+ Andreas Katsulas and Peter Jurasik really do an amazing job throughout the show. Some of the character changes in the middle seasons feel a little abrupt, but mostly they don't feel out of place. I can't say enough good things about them.

You are correct.

quote:

+ Speaking of which, Jerry Doyle's hair in the first three seasons. Why didn't somebody say something?!

It was the early nineties. That's all.

Not that that's an excuse, mind you, It's just an explanation.

quote:

+ Although I loved Kosh, I'm a little surprised at how infrequently he actually appeared. I feel like there was a lot of potential in the character that disappeared once they revealed that the Vorlon were first ones.

Now that you mention it, I kind of agree. The original series pitch from the mid-80s had the Vorlons as something completely different (some kind of mysterious and ancient isolationist empire type deal, a bit like the Batarians from Mass Effect), which makes me wonder just how much got changed as the show developed when it was actually in production.

EDIT: Ah, found it. Here's the Vorlon thing I was remembering:

1991 B5 Promotional Flyer posted:

The secretive Vorlons are a group not to be trusted. A massive power struggle is going on among their upper echelons where advancement is only accomplished by assassination. They seek to eliminate the Earth Alliance and solidify themselves as heads of the Empire.

Reading this again (I'd forgotten most of it), it's amazing how different the series would've been had JMS stuck to this conception of the Vorlons.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 16, 2010

danno
Dec 13, 2002

If anyone around here is to be doing the booking, it will be me.

MiraariM posted:

+ So Sheridan's mom... died? ...or not...?
No, his dad holed her up with some friends in Minneapolis.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

danno posted:

No, his dad holed her up with some friends in Minneapolis.

Ah, of course - Minnesota, the last place anyone would ever look...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MiraariM posted:

Keep in mind that the series started shooting not long after Furlan emigrated from Croatia, and this, if I'm not mistaken, was her first-ever English-speaking role. A lot of her problems can be chalked up to her having to battle her accent while still getting the dialogue out.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Timby posted:

Keep in mind that the series started shooting not long after Furlan emigrated from Croatia, and this, if I'm not mistaken, was her first-ever English-speaking role. A lot of her problems can be chalked up to her having to battle her accent while still getting the dialogue out.

Then, you know, perhaps she wasn't the best actress for the part.

I'm just saying.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

ashpanash posted:

Then, you know, perhaps she wasn't the best actress for the part.

I'm just saying.

I think the accent brought a kind of alien nature to her speech.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Burning_Monk posted:

Yeah but, you know, the whole acting part is probably more important. I mean, if I were casting the show.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Burning_Monk posted:

I'm pretty sure this is why most aliens (especially imporant ones) in the show have noticeable accents.

ashpanash posted:

Yeah but, you know, the whole acting part is probably more important. I mean, if I were casting the show.

Eh, I thought she was one of the strongest actors on the show. Yes, her performance was often stilted, but I feel like that was in large part intentional because Minbari do tend to be much more wooden than most of the other races.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ashpanash posted:

True, but given the general quality of the other actors they could afford, I wouldn't be surprised if she was the best of the bunch.

Habibi posted:

I'm pretty sure this is why most aliens (especially imporant ones) in the show have noticeable accents.

This led to some painful times, though; Vir was unwatchable in the early goings due to Stephen Furst trying to mimic Jurasik's accent. (Well, the accent and acting like a chihuahua that had just freebased acid.)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Timby posted:

This led to some painful times, though; Vir was unwatchable in the early goings due to Stephen Furst trying to mimic Jurasik's accent. (Well, the accent and acting like a chihuahua that had just freebased acid.)

Huh, I have no recollection whatsoever of Vir trying to affect an accent (let alone Mollari's) at any point in the series.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

In the very first few episodes he's in, maybe the first two or three, he's bouncing all over the place and doing a hilariously awful imitation of the accent. I know it's in Midnight on the Firing Line. The way he says "Ragesh Three" makes me laugh like an idiot every time.

danno
Dec 13, 2002

If anyone around here is to be doing the booking, it will be me.

Timby posted:

In the very first few episodes he's in, maybe the first two or three, he's bouncing all over the place and doing a hilariously awful imitation of the accent. I know it's in Midnight on the Firing Line. The way he says "Ragesh Three" makes me laugh like an idiot every time.
Agreed, Vir got much better once he started being a mellowed adult Flounder.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I think it was bad enough that JMS even addressed it on Usenet, saying something like, "Don't worry, Vir settles down in a few episodes."

Fake edit: Yep, from the Lurker's Guide:

quote:

- Re: Vir...that was the first episode filmed with his character, and he wasn't directed as well as he might have been. We pulled him back a lot in later episodes.

- Vir calms down. Trust me.

He even manages to nail Londo from time to time...as he does when Londo suffers a rather nasty hangover in "Born to the Purple."

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I love how in the first episode Sinclair was all "The minbari are angels they could never do anything bad or dishounorable!" When we learn just a bit later that while during the war with them they showed no mercy, heavily outgunned/teched them, annihilated everyone including those who surrendered and were intent on mankinds total extermination all because of one dude who died due to an accident.

I don't know but i don't think honourable fits the Minbari at all.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Did anyone else simply hate the Minbari Civil War storyline? I remember it as being my least favorite part of Season 4. It didn't feel remotely as important as it should've been, and it was ended in the dumbest, most boring way possible.

MiraariM
Nov 11, 2005

.sleeh ni ,sdrawkcab ti od nac snaicigaM laeR

Lycus posted:

Did anyone else simply hate the Minbari Civil War storyline? I remember it as being my least favorite part of Season 4. It didn't feel remotely as important as it should've been, and it was ended in the dumbest, most boring way possible.

Yeah, it was pretty much pointless. The middle of season 4 really sags in general, and the alien stuff is particularly bad. "Londo and G'Kar grudgingly work together" just kept popping up. Minbari bullshit. No more Vorlons. It all feels like filler.

I did enjoy the League being tricked into thinking they were threatened by invisible enemies. I wonder how they explained that one to their governments. "You gotta understand, we thought they were *invisible!*"

Speaking of season 4 plots, why in the world didn't they make William Edgars Bester's father? Their accents were even fairly similar.

MiraariM fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 17, 2010

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

MiraariM posted:

Speaking of season 4 plots, why in the world didn't they make William Edgars Bester's father? Their accents were even fairly similar.

I think that'd be a little contrived and convenient despite the cool plot elements it would bring up, and the show was teetering on being ridiculously convenient as it was, especially with the movies. In "In the Beginning," all the characters are so intertwined, and for no real reason, it kinda ruined the experience for me.

The movies were pretty bad and a lot of the time I like to pretend they don't exist.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

MiraariM posted:

Basically what Hard Clumping pointed out, but also that Bester not having any parents really meant that the Psi Corp philosophy of 'The Corp is mother and the Corp is father' was Bester's life.

Bester is actually the child of Fiona and Matthew Dexter, the two leaders of the telepathic resistance on Earth. They were killed and Bester was adopted into the Psi Corp while he was still an infant.

quote:

In "In the Beginning," all the characters are so intertwined, and for no real reason, it kinda ruined the experience for me.

I've always wanted to go back and see if Sheridan gives any indication of having worked with G'Kar or Franklin before.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Milky Moor posted:

I've always wanted to go back and see if Sheridan gives any indication of having worked with G'Kar or Franklin before.

I don't think there's any outright "Oh hi I've never met you before" discussion (maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so), but B5 always liked to point out multiple times any characters who knew eachother

"HEY HEY WE THOUGHT OF BACKSTORY LOOK"

This is goofy nitpicking by the way, I still love the series as a whole. I have much fewer problems with it as I do with, say, Battlestar Galactica.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Milky Moor posted:

I don't think there's anything with G'Kar, but I'm pretty sure that when Sheridan comes into Medlab for the first time, Franklin says something like, "Who are you?"

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Timby posted:

I don't think there's anything with G'Kar, but I'm pretty sure that when Sheridan comes into Medlab for the first time, Franklin says something like, "Who are you?"

War is hell.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Telepaths made them forget.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Who's hotter, Talia or Lyta? Imma go with Lyta cause, you know, redheads.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Hard Clumping posted:

I think that'd be a little contrived and convenient despite the cool plot elements it would bring up, and the show was teetering on being ridiculously convenient as it was, especially with the movies. In "In the Beginning," all the characters are so intertwined, and for no real reason, it kinda ruined the experience for me.
"In the Beginning" was mostly good, but yeah I didn't like the shoehorning, the worst case being Franklin. What the hell was he doing there again?

Of course, that's similar to how they used his character in the latter seasons of the main series. He was the "spare main character". As the show moved further away from crises of the week, and more toward the politics and war, a doctor as a main character was becoming less useful. So he would always get sent along on storylines that really had nothing to do with his character or being a doctor, merely because all the other main characters were busy, and they just needed something for him to do.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 18, 2010

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lycus posted:

"In the Beginning" was mostly good, but yeah I didn't like the shoehorning, the worst case being Franklin. What the hell was he doing there again?

Of course, that's similar to how they used his character in the latter seasons of the main series. He was the "spare main character". As the show moved further away from crises of the week, and more toward the politics and war, a doctor as a main character was becoming less useful. So he would always get sent along on storylines that really had nothing to do with his character or being a doctor, merely because all the other main characters were busy.

He was still useful during the war like when they find the telepaths. They also made fun of him being the spare wheel when he has to ask what the Shadows are.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Anyone know what happened to Michael O'Hare? After B5 he pretty much just vanished, aside from an episode of Law and Order. I know he wasn't the most popular actor on the show, but he was my favorite of the "captains", and definitely did my favorite beginning voice over. What was the real reason for his reduced role in the show. It's funny, seeing old pictures of him, he looks a lot like Christian Bale in American Psycho.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

bobkatt013 posted:

Telepaths Vorlons Bester made them forget.

Fixed.

quote:

This is goofy nitpicking by the way, I still love the series as a whole. I have much fewer problems with it as I do with, say, Battlestar Galactica.

I watched the whole of B5 recently, and am into the final half of BSG. I have to say, BSG does really fall to pieces. You can tell they're just making it up as they go and it kind of hurts it. The weirder thing is that there's a fair few plot lines that they bring up, sort of develop, could be done well... and then just drop them completely. And then there's others they suddenly introduce, what should be major parts of the character's backstory, and then drop it completely, never to bring it up again.

And this happens multiple times.

And I think they really started to pull punches. The final season should have been darker (like the original outline), which would have made the happy ending feel that much better.

And the Final Five. :barf:

That's not to say that B5 is perfect, but it's much more tightly plotted.

quote:

He was the Earth Alliance's biggest expert on Minbari physiology at the time, wasn't he? Did he speak Minbari? But, yeah, no real ideas why he'd be on such a mission.

quote:

Of course, that's similar to how they used his character in the latter seasons of the main series. He was the "spare main character". As the show moved further away from crises of the week, and more toward the politics and war, a doctor as a main character was becoming less useful. So he would always get sent along on storylines that really had nothing to do with his character or being a doctor, merely because all the other main characters were busy, and they just needed something for him to do.

Yeah, this is true. But he did do pretty well with the Mars Resistance. I liked Franklin even if he had absolutely no bedside manner.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gianthogweed posted:

Anyone know what happened to Michael O'Hare? After B5 he pretty much just vanished, aside from an episode of Law and Order. I know he wasn't the most popular actor on the show, but he was my favorite of the "captains", and definitely did my favorite beginning voice over. What was the real reason for his reduced role in the show.

Depends on who you ask. JMS originally said, "This was a mutual separation, as I began to realize I needed someone other than Sinclair to lead the show, so I approached him and he agreed that we would part ways." He hung onto that line for years, but started to soften on it in recent times. Kevin H. Martin, a former Cinefex writer, says that PTEN told JMS, "Get a new lead actor, or we're not picking up the second season." O'Hare says that everyone agreed that it was best for him to move on and go back to New York. Jerry Doyle insists that O'Hare was fired. Doug Netter has said it was a network decision.

Understanding is a three-edged sword, I guess.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Watching The Illusion of Truth and I forgot how much ISN is Fox News. Up too and including the questions on the bottom of the screen.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I always liked the little touch that the ISN reporter could never pronounce Ivanova's name right. Instead of "i-VAN-ova", they would pronounce it "I-va-NO-va".

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Aatrek posted:

I always liked the little touch that the ISN reporter could never pronounce Ivanova's name right. Instead of "i-VAN-ova", they would pronounce it "I-va-NO-va".

ISN was always a lovely network, but it got real creepy when its HQ in Geneva got raided by President Clark's forces.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Evek posted:

ISN was always a lovely network, but it got real creepy when its HQ in Geneva got raided by President Clark's forces.

Ya it became Fox News

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Tighclops posted:

Who's hotter, Talia or Lyta? Imma go with Lyta cause, you know, redheads.

Yeah, totally. :hfive: Also Talia is a stuck-up bitch, which is a huge turn-off.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I have to say that I'm quite enjoying Crusade and I really recommend watching them in the JMS order:

1. War Zone (108)
2. The Long Road (107)
3. Ruling From the Tomb (111)
4. Appearances and Other Deceits (113)
5. The Memory of War (102)
6. The Needs of Earth (101)
7. Racing the Night (103)
8. Visitors From Down the Street (104)
9. Each Night I Dream of Home (105)
10. The Path of Sorrows (109)
11. Patterns of the Soul (110)
12. The Well of Forever (106)
13. The Rules of the Game (112)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

MiraariM posted:

Yeah, it was pretty much pointless. The middle of season 4 really sags in general, and the alien stuff is particularly bad. "Londo and G'Kar grudgingly work together" just kept popping up. Minbari bullshit. No more Vorlons. It all feels like filler.

I disagree. I think it speaks more the notion of civilizations like the Minbari who believe they can do no wrong, internal tension that is only suppressed through mysterious judgments by a government with which no one has any dealings, and really a government who had forgotten who they were governing for. It took a civil war to remind their leaders why they fought and sacrificed and it was for those who built their society (the Worker caste) who even Delenn said had become forgotten in the struggle for control between the Religious and Warrior castes.

It seems like a twist on the notion of remembering governments serve people, not the other way around. But he still worked it well into the story elements he had before, the stagnation of the Grey Council, the split since surrendering to the humans and so forth.

• Locked thread