Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Corridor posted:

Dragon Quest 9 (just out) has visible monsters roaming around the map. Seems easier than every previous DQ as well, so should be less grinding.

DQ9 is a little easy by DQ standards I guess, but there's still a fuckton of grinding. Changing class resets you to Level 1, even.

PalmTreeFun posted:

I'd love to try something that has fast-paced, arcade style action on PC or Wii. I'm pretty lenient as far as the genre goes, unless it's an RPG. I generally do not like RPG's. I think the only ones I did like were the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi series. I hated Persona 2 and Final Fantasy Legends, though. I have a soft spot for platformers, racing games, puzzle games, and 3D fighters.

For example, I love Shatter, Virtual On, Tetris Attack/Puzzle League, Puyo Puyo, Hydro Thunder, Super Monkey Ball, and other fast-paced, intense games.

The Kororinpa series has maybe the best tactile action on the Wii. Be aware that they hosed up how the marbles handle in the second one (Marble Saga), but with a code you can get a customizable marble that you alter so it plays like the marbles in the first game.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

PalmTreeFun posted:

I'd love to try something that has fast-paced, arcade style action on PC or Wii. I'm pretty lenient as far as the genre goes, unless it's an RPG. I generally do not like RPG's. I think the only ones I did like were the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi series. I hated Persona 2 and Final Fantasy Legends, though. I have a soft spot for platformers, racing games, puzzle games, and 3D fighters.

For example, I love Shatter, Virtual On, Tetris Attack/Puzzle League, Puyo Puyo, Hydro Thunder, Super Monkey Ball, and other fast-paced, intense games.

You've played Geometry Wars, right? If you haven't, you need to because you'd probably love it.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Cholfo posted:

Etrian Oddyssey is okay, but I tend to avoid Atlus games because I'm pretty sure they literally hate their players. I'll give Strange Journey and Class of Heroes a shot, I'm a real sucker for Wizardry clones. I also got ahold of Demise and Mordor this morning, but haven't had a chance to play them yet, hoping for good things.

I strongly recommend trying Devil Survivor first. It has an interesting plot, and barring 2 tricky bosses has a nice level of challenge that never really slips into frustration territory. Also no grinding necessary.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I asked this before but didn't get any suggestions. I really liked the game The Last Express. Are there any games that are similar to that in any way? Basically I guess I'm looking for as many of these qualities as possible:

movie-like linear story
adventure
traditional lead character as opposed to a Duke Nukem type or cartoon character
immersive story/environment
exotic and/or historic setting (Europe in the 1910's)
not too difficult (more puzzle based rather than jumping over pits or trying to out shoot people over and over)

?

I don't follow games so no suggestion is too obvious.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 14, 2010

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schweinhund posted:

I asked this before but didn't get any suggestions. I really liked the game The Last Express. Are there any games that are similar to that in any way? Basically I guess I'm looking for as many of these qualities as possible:

movie-like linear story
adventure
not too difficult (more puzzle based rather than jumping over pits or trying to out shoot people over and over)

?

The Agatha Christie games sound right up your alley. Unless you've already read those mysteries.
If you want a scary adventure, I would recommend Scratches.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
I really want to play a Elder Scrolls/ Fallout 3 type game while I wait for New Vegas. Basically a good openworld RPG, I heard The Guild 2 is like this but I haven't checked that out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spintzel posted:

I really want to play a Elder Scrolls/ Fallout 3 type game while I wait for New Vegas. Basically a good openworld RPG, I heard The Guild 2 is like this but I haven't checked that out.

Have you tried Gothic III, Two Worlds, or Drakensang? None of those is quite as good but they're all what you're looking for roughly. Someone recently talked about the Guild 2 and said to buy the original plus expansion as thats much better.

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007

Barudak posted:

Have you tried Gothic III, Two Worlds, or Drakensang? None of those is quite as good but they're all what you're looking for roughly. Someone recently talked about the Guild 2 and said to buy the original plus expansion as thats much better.

Risen is down this alley as well, it's something of a spiritual successor to Gothic 3 that did some things differently. The interface and combat are a bit friendlier, for example. It's third person though. The original Mass Effect also had a good thing going on before it got all rails-shootery with the second iteration.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Spintzel posted:

Err, I think you mean Gothic, cause The Guild 2 is nothing like the Elder Scrolls games. They're both put out by the same publisher though, so that's probably where it all got mixed up.

Cholfo posted:

Etrian Oddyssey is okay, but I tend to avoid Atlus games because I'm pretty sure they literally hate their players. I'll give Strange Journey and Class of Heroes a shot, I'm a real sucker for Wizardry clones. I also got ahold of Demise and Mordor this morning, but haven't had a chance to play them yet, hoping for good things.
Wow, I didn't even realize that everything I posted was Atlus there. But then again, they seem to be the only publisher doing anything with First Person Dungeon games nowadays.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Whats a great game for immersion that might not be as well known as a team ico game or demons souls? I'm really into the idea of playing something that will suck me into it's world while I wait for Limbo to come out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Whats a great game for immersion that might not be as well known as a team ico game or demons souls? I'm really into the idea of playing something that will suck me into it's world while I wait for Limbo to come out.

How do you mean immersion. Like low dialog and mostly exploration or like really detailed universe that is thoroughly expounded upon?

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

NESguerilla posted:

Try Risen. It got poo poo on by critics even more than the other Gothic games (it's basically Gothic in a different universe), which most non-critics seem to really look. It's a 3rd person open world RPG kind of similar to Oblivion or Two Worlds, but the combat reminds me more of Demon's Souls. The game is really immersive because of the unique world. Instead of high fantasy, you shipwreck on an island that looks like someplace in the caribbean, and the architecture reminds me of spanish villa style. It's a really cool game. Also has great music and a minimal HUD which always helps with immersion.

You could also try the Kings Field series, which were the predecessors to Demon's Souls. Awesome and brutally hard first person RPGs.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Barudak posted:

Bayonetta? I'm sure you already own it, but its probably the best brawler game available on consoles right now and is made by the people who made Godhand+Devil May Cry.

I keep waffling on Bayonetta. On one hand it got incredible reviews and the general consensus is that it's a really solid, fun brawler, but on the other hand there's the whole high camp thing (which isn't really that much of a problem, I loved God Hand) and people saying that it isn't really that hard, and the visual effects being distracting.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Frankosity posted:

I keep waffling on Bayonetta. On one hand it got incredible reviews and the general consensus is that it's a really solid, fun brawler, but on the other hand there's the whole high camp thing (which isn't really that much of a problem, I loved God Hand) and people saying that it isn't really that hard, and the visual effects being distracting.

Its not hard in the same way Godhand wasn't hard. If you are good at dodging the game is fairly easy. If you aren't you get your rear end beat until you are. The highest difficulty also disables the "witch time" you get for dodging making the game much harder to cheese. It is, however, overall a much easier game than say Godhand.

As for the high-camp thing I'd just skip the cutscenes since they don't matter. If you like Godhand or Devil May Cry or any other game in the genre Bayonetta is a really solid choice.

Another option would be Dante's Inferno, but thats pretty meh at best. And there is Streets of Fury which is like Mortal Kombat is to Street Fighter as Streets of Fury is to Streets of Rage.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 15, 2010

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Schweinhund posted:

movie-like linear story
adventure

?

You might really enjoy The Longest Journey. It's a great adventure game, with beautiful atmosphere and one of the better stories in computer games.

It's up on gog.com

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

GreatGreen posted:

You've played Geometry Wars, right? If you haven't, you need to because you'd probably love it.

I believe I've played Grid Wars. Almost identical, isn't it?

Also, thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out Llamasoft and Kororinpa.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Barudak posted:

How do you mean immersion. Like low dialog and mostly exploration or like really detailed universe that is thoroughly expounded upon?

Mostly the former. I wish I could explain it better but I guess anything that is comparable to my examples is the best I can do.

Industrial posted:

Try Risen. It got poo poo on by critics even more than the other Gothic games (it's basically Gothic in a different universe), which most non-critics seem to really look. It's a 3rd person open world RPG kind of similar to Oblivion or Two Worlds, but the combat reminds me more of Demon's Souls. The game is really immersive because of the unique world. Instead of high fantasy, you shipwreck on an island that looks like someplace in the caribbean, and the architecture reminds me of spanish villa style. It's a really cool game. Also has great music and a minimal HUD which always helps with immersion.

You could also try the Kings Field series, which were the predecessors to Demon's Souls. Awesome and brutally hard first person RPGs.

Cool, just noticed there is a 360 version I might check it out.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 15, 2010

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Barudak posted:

The Agatha Christie games sound right up your alley. Unless you've already read those mysteries.
If you want a scary adventure, I would recommend Scratches.

well I bought the Orient Express game. I must say, it matches perfect to what I requested. Although I'm not sure it's a very good game so far. I'll give you an A+ for the recommendation though :D

Thanks for the couple other recommendations too. I'll look into them later.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I'm looking for a new RPG to play. I've already done the older Final Fantasies, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 1/2, Lost Odyssey and the like. I hated every second of the time I wasted on FF13. I'd prefer it if it was a Western RPG, because I've about had my lifetime fill of Japanese stories that don't make any god drat sense. I have the Witcher, but after I patched it up fully, I can't load the first level after the prologue.

Really, the most important part of it is that it doesn't have a completely retarded story. I don't want characters that go "eh ah oh eh eh oh!" all day like FF13. I enjoyed FF6's story, since it mostly made sense, but FF7 lost me almost immediately.

I can only play so much Peggle, goons!

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007

Kruller posted:

I'd prefer it if it was a Western RPG, because I've about had my lifetime fill of Japanese stories that don't make any god drat sense. I have the Witcher, but after I patched it up fully, I can't load the first level after the prologue.

Really, the most important part of it is that it doesn't have a completely retarded story.
Don't break your arm trying to get the Witcher to run, it's probably not worth it. If you're looking for something a bit more "traditional" in the RPG sense, and if you liked what Dragon Age did, you could give some of the older Bioware stuff a shot. Baldur's Gate 2 and its expansion are both excellent, and there's a thread around here somewhere to help you get your feet wet. The Fallout games are all pretty good too, but I'm betting you've played them. If not, you can grab the first two for real cheap on Steam, totally worth it.

If you're looking to branch out into less "RPGish" fantasy type games, you could give Overlord a shot. It does a good job of making fun of the traditional fantasy-RPG brouhaha.

Industrial posted:

I really can't recommend this game enough, it is fantastic. When it first released it was a bit of a buggy mess and crashed to desktop frequently, but there's been a patch between then and now that's fixed most of the problems. Since I started playing again a week ago, I've crashed one time, and that was after a lot of alt-tabbing. The environment is very pretty for the requirements of the game, the atmosphere is very involving, the voice acting us surprisingly very decent, and the combat is completely loving unforgiving. You wander to the wrong areas early in the game, you will get straight up one-shotted, without so much as a hug or an apology. You ignore the warnings the game's NPCs give you about "stay the gently caress away from X or Y will happen," and Y will totally happen, no hand-holding or easy ways out, you shouldn't have gone to X you dolt. It is FUN.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

Cool, just noticed there is a 360 version I might check it out.
No, don't! It's an awful, awful port. It chugs, is full of bugs and the 360 hardware just can't handle it. Get it on PC or skip it.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I'm looking for some kind of simulator/strategy/management game.
To me the most appealing thing about strategy games has always been building and managing the base(s) or cities. I would prefer if the game either had no real "enemies", or the enemies were unseen rivals (think Theme Hospital).

Games of this type that I like:
Theme Hospital
Rollercoaster Tycoon 1/2 (3 wasn't as fun, for some reason)
Anno 1404 + Expansion
Caesar 3 and some of the other games in that category, which I would really like to see more of, but their age sorta puts me off.
Earth 2150 (you could build neat bases and arrange all your units along lines and upgrade them and customize and stuff!)
The Settlers series (plain fun)

Games that I didn't like as much:
Europa Universalis (I like the visual aspect of building as well as big numbers and this just felt too much like a map, also this game had way too much interaction between countries that I didn't enjoy)
Grande Ages Rome (Too shallow and simple really, unless it has some unseen depth that I never found)
Children of the Nile (too... weird, something about it put me off)

I've also played Civ 4 and I enjoyed it, but it felt like it went the same way every time I played it and I didn't enjoy the time limit or the fact that everyone would gang up on you if you got too many technologies.

It doesn't matter if the game is on a city, nation or world scale really.
The Rollercoaster games, especially the second one, had just about the right level of micromanagement in that you could micro just about everything if you wanted to, but you'd do fine if you just slapped some stuff down too.

I've read a bit about Cities XL, is that any good?
Any other games you guys think I should have a look at that sound like they'd be up my alley?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Osmosisch posted:

No, don't! It's an awful, awful port. It chugs, is full of bugs and the 360 hardware just can't handle it. Get it on PC or skip it.

Mac user here :(

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

Kruller posted:

I'm looking for a new RPG to play. I've already done the older Final Fantasies, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 1/2, Lost Odyssey and the like. I hated every second of the time I wasted on FF13. I'd prefer it if it was a Western RPG, because I've about had my lifetime fill of Japanese stories that don't make any god drat sense. I have the Witcher, but after I patched it up fully, I can't load the first level after the prologue.

Really, the most important part of it is that it doesn't have a completely retarded story. I don't want characters that go "eh ah oh eh eh oh!" all day like FF13. I enjoyed FF6's story, since it mostly made sense, but FF7 lost me almost immediately.

I can only play so much Peggle, goons!

If you've got a PS2, I absolutely love Champions of Norrath. Good combat, EXCELLENT loot system, fun environments, etc. I wasn't too drawn into the story, but everything else is absolutely great

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Cholfo posted:

Don't break your arm trying to get the Witcher to run, it's probably not worth it. If you're looking for something a bit more "traditional" in the RPG sense, and if you liked what Dragon Age did, you could give some of the older Bioware stuff a shot. Baldur's Gate 2 and its expansion are both excellent, and there's a thread around here somewhere to help you get your feet wet. The Fallout games are all pretty good too, but I'm betting you've played them. If not, you can grab the first two for real cheap on Steam, totally worth it.

If you're looking to branch out into less "RPGish" fantasy type games, you could give Overlord a shot. It does a good job of making fun of the traditional fantasy-RPG brouhaha.

I've tried Baldur's Gate and Fallout and PS:T, and there's just something about the ruleset and the Infinity engine that does not sit with me. I've tried Baldur's Gate 2 about 9 times, and the opening dungeon doesn't even bug me, but once I'm free to roam wherever I want, I just lose interest. I prefer a more structured game, but one that isn't on rails like FF13. I loved KoTOR, but I don't really want to play it again, and I've owned Jade Empire twice. I like what Bioware does, just not what D&D does, basically. I think Overlord is in my GameFly queue, and if not, I'll add it. Thanks.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Archipelagic posted:

I've grown a bit tired of RTS's recently, I think the thing that's missing is the ability to turtle. I used to love Total Annihilation, simply because I could spend ages in a skirmish building up an impenetrable base for the AI to throw itself against.

So, any ideas on an RTS that actively encourages turtling?

I just bought Supreme commander 2(wich is alot like TA), where turtling is quite fun. Even many of the campaign missions require you to turtle alot. Setting up multilayered defences, backed up by engineers and super units never gets old!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Edit: Whoops, you already listed Anno 1404. Well I'm out of ideas

TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!
Risen looks pretty sweet, is there any sort of mod community going on?

Elijah.
Feb 11, 2007

all of your troubles are dead and gone~
I'm basically constantly on the search for decent survival-based games. Meaning, you're placed somewhere in the middle of nowhere and have to gather resources, build poo poo, make food, etc to survive. For some reason these types of games are incredibly niche, and not many exist.

I play/have played the following: Unreal World, Wurm Online, Stranded 2, Minecraft, Survival Kids

If anyone has any additions that fit into the 'survival' genre even a little bit, please feel free to tell me.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I haven't played it, but Robinson's Requiem is fairly big on the survival angle, to an almost frustrating degree at times from what I've heard.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Elijah. posted:

I'm basically constantly on the search for decent survival-based games. Meaning, you're placed somewhere in the middle of nowhere and have to gather resources, build poo poo, make food, etc to survive. For some reason these types of games are incredibly niche, and not many exist.

I play/have played the following: Unreal World, Wurm Online, Stranded 2, Minecraft, Survival Kids

If anyone has any additions that fit into the 'survival' genre even a little bit, please feel free to tell me.

Well, there's the Lost in Blue series for the DS (and one for the Wii, I think), which as I understand is more or less a spiritual sequel series to Survival Kids. I've only ever played the first one though, so I can't comment on what it's like.

VVV Yeah I feel the same way about them. I was just looking for some survival game, but then there's pirates and a girl you need to lead around and eh.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 17, 2010

Elijah.
Feb 11, 2007

Thanks for reminding me of Robinson's Requiem. The game and its sequel are on GOG for six bucks, so I'll definitely be getting those.

I've also checked out the Lost in Blue series, but I don't have a DS or Wii so hey. They look fun, if not a bit more story/character centric than I'd like.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Foxhound posted:

To me the most appealing thing about strategy games has always been building and managing the base(s) or cities. I would prefer if the game either had no real "enemies", or the enemies were unseen rivals (think Theme Hospital).

It doesn't matter if the game is on a city, nation or world scale really.
The Rollercoaster games, especially the second one, had just about the right level of micromanagement in that you could micro just about everything if you wanted to, but you'd do fine if you just slapped some stuff down too.

I've read a bit about Cities XL, is that any good?
Any other games you guys think I should have a look at that sound like they'd be up my alley?

You might want to check out Tropico 3 and Evil Genius, they sound like the kind of games you're looking for. In Tropico, you manage a cold war era banana republic, and try to keep the citizens happy, by building things like churches, free clinics, etc, while keeping the Russians and the U.S. from invading. Not really much combat, unless you have to put down a revolution or a coup.

In Evil Genius, you're a James Bond villain trying to destroy the world, by managing your secret base under a volcano. So you need to build things like a command center to send minions and henchmen out to steal and plot, bunk beds and a rec room for your minions to sleep, and power plants to power all the cool stuff. You'll also want to build things like security systems and booby traps to keep investigators and saboteurs from finding your base. While I like the game, the late game can get bogged down trying to fight off waves of soldiers and super spies. (loving John Steele! :argh:)

They are both available on Steam, and GoG has Evil Genius.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mq posted:

I'm also looking for good DS rpgs. However, I hate random encounters and mandatory grinding so games that have that stuff are a no-no. Don't really have any other requirements as long as the game is good. I already played and enjoyed Chrono Trigger.

You want to play Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, it's pretty much exactly what you're asking for. The other Mario and Luigi game fits your criteria, but isn't as good. If you had a lot of fun with BIS, you might want to check it out anyways.

Foxhound posted:

:words:

Cities XL was incredibly simplified, and had a horrible pricing model applied to it. It's like Baby's First Sim City with none of the charm and an IRC chat room you have to pay for.

I'm going to second Tropico 3. On the economic and building side, it's more simple than Anno, but there's more internal politics that mix things up and make it fun, plus a pretty good sense of humor.

edit: Something you really should try that I just remembered is Transport Tycoon Deluxe with OpenTTD. It's really quite good. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3232658 Yeah, it looks complex, but it's really as complex as you want it to be. You don't HAVE to create insanely elaborate railroad systems, and in fact it's often inefficient if you do so, it's just awesome that the game allows it.

Basically the premise is to create a transport empire, using planes, boats, trucks/buses, and trains. You usually get a large map with many cities and industries scattered about to transport goods to and from, and eventually you start up industries of your own and start making big money. Also, it's completely free! You have no excuse not to play it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 17, 2010

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm going to second Tropico 3. On the economic and building side, it's more simple than Anno, but there's more internal politics that mix things up and make it fun, plus a pretty good sense of humor.

If you mean Tropico's economy is easier to work with, I disagree. Anno's is a lot deeper in supply chains and what not, but it's a shitload easier to get started. Tropico 3 just doesn't seem to make any drat sense at all, plus building placement is annoying as poo poo. Not to mention Anno lets you just chill out. You don't have to give a poo poo what the people think of you, so long as you keep their needs met, which is a lot easier to do since they aren't as politcally diverse (ie, at all). Tropico is much better about politics, but it's economy is a loving pain.

Nashie 0
Mar 19, 2009
This might sound like a bit of an odd request but here goes. I'm a bit of a completionist and have an odd obsession with playing games to completion and as such I'm looking to challenge a friend to see who can finish a game to completion first to solve our recent boredom problems. Therefore, I'm looking for pretty much any decent game which can both provide a challenge in achieving full completion (100% or whatever) and preferably provide some way to show how much one has achieved for the purposes of deciding a winner (A progress bar of sorts.) Pretty much any console and genre is acceptable as long as it would be able to provide us with this challenge. However, older consoles or handhelds such as the NDS or anything from the PSX era and before are preferable.

I know it sounds like a somewhat strange request so I apologise but if anyone can help it would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Elijah.
Feb 11, 2007

Nashie 0 posted:

This might sound like a bit of an odd request but here goes. I'm a bit of a completionist and have an odd obsession with playing games to completion and as such I'm looking to challenge a friend to see who can finish a game to completion first to solve our recent boredom problems. Therefore, I'm looking for pretty much any decent game which can both provide a challenge in achieving full completion (100% or whatever) and preferably provide some way to show how much one has achieved for the purposes of deciding a winner (A progress bar of sorts.) Pretty much any console and genre is acceptable as long as it would be able to provide us with this challenge. However, older consoles or handhelds such as the NDS or anything from the PSX era and before are preferable.

I know it sounds like a somewhat strange request so I apologise but if anyone can help it would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The first thing that popped into my head was Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. It has a "% Complete" bar and is an excellent game. It's also for the PSX, and has an XBLA port.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Nashie 0 posted:

Saints Row 2 (xbox 360) got a completion bar, and you can play COOP with your friend to get the 100%! The tons activities/missions you gotta do are really entertaining and diverse, so your boredom problem will be solved!

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 17, 2010

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Nashie 0 posted:

Psychonauts, if you both have PC's. It's kind of similar to Banjo-Kazooie or the like. Just make sure you save before the "point of no return" near the end so you can go back and get stuff. The PC version is actually nice enough to warn you about that, though.

This game's from the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox era, so it's not very graphics-intensive at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Elijah. posted:

The first thing that popped into my head was Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. It has a "% Complete" bar and is an excellent game. It's also for the PSX, and has an XBLA port.

I was going to recommend Castlevania, too, but Aria of Sorrow for the GBAdvance. It's basically a smoother SotN and has both a map completion percentage as well as a soul collection percentage. If you're crazy/bored enough, you can even try to fill out all the item drops in your enemy database.

And if you just can't get enough, try to get the Map completion past 100%.