Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been
Love this thread, I followed the other until its closing. I need to snap a shot of my dads 94 cobra convertible, It's the pace car cobra, w/56k miles on it, he keeps it in very good shape and is meticulous about it. I'll be respraying it for him this winter and applying a new set of stickers. It's not the fastest thing on the road (by far), but its fun to drive, made in low numbers 181 out of 1014 or something like that and he just likes it. We go to car shows together, he drive it and I take my 65 mercury comet cyclone (was going to make a thread but to lazy).

I'm going to be getting an 11 or 12 as soon as the start popping up on copart in good shape in a year or so. I just got rid of my 05 gt 5spd, so I'm totally anxious to find out how bad rear end this car is. The 05's + are awesome, solid cars. I've been building a lot of them and I can't do anything but speak volumes to their structural integrity, handling, etc. So this new one sounds loving phenomenal. I just got done fixing an 07 today where this 17 year old kid ramped it from one parking lot to a lower one doing a purported 60-70 mph. besides from a scrape or two on the bumper cover it only had bent radiator and condenser. 6 ft drop from lot to lot and there is enough space there to get up to that speed. I estimated it by the damage though to have been a 30mph jump, but who knows. It was hilarious. 2nd time I've had to fix it, other time was a quarter panel. Its also a v6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

frozenphil posted:

For the love of God, please don't get the same kind of drat wheels as everyone else in the Mustang community. I just can't fathom why everyone who drives a Mustang has this burning desire to buy the same kind of wheels as everyone else with a Mustang.

Im gonna have to agree, I got my FR500 wheels when everyone was jumping on the Bulitt deep dish wheels. Now everyone gets the FR500 wheels. They even come stock on the 11 v6 Stang. UGGG.

On the other end of the spectrum, I hate people who put body kits on mustangs. Anything with a European or Asian style to it, just looks terrible on a mustang.
The only body kits for a mustang should be, stock, Roush, Saleen, Cobra. Any other combination is just wrong.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

frozenphil posted:

For the love of God, please don't get the same kind of drat wheels as everyone else in the Mustang community. I just can't fathom why everyone who drives a Mustang has this burning desire to buy the same kind of wheels as everyone else with a Mustang. There are dozens of wheel manufacturers out there. A few of them even make good looking wheels that will fit your Mustang. Break the cycle that Mustang owners have fallen into and buy something unique.

I don't mean to single you out, but this is one of my biggest pet peeves with Mustang owners.

Good call I do like to be different, I am finding some other wheels that I guess arent typical of Mustangs that I can go with. Id really like some sort of BBS style wheels (not basket weaves although that certainly would be different)

:ninja: Well hey would you look at that... http://www.elementwheels.com/proddetail.asp?prod=sm521885bsm521810b

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 16, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

kalvick posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, I hate people who put body kits on mustangs. Anything with a European or Asian style to it, just looks terrible on a mustang.
The only body kits for a mustang should be, stock, Roush, Saleen, Cobra. Any other combination is just wrong.

Agreed. However, a mix and match of those can look really good. I'm very partial to the '03/'04 Cobra front bumper, Cobra R hood, and Saleen S281 3 piece rear wing combo myself.

KickStand posted:

Good call I do like to be different, I am finding some other wheels that I guess arent typical of Mustangs that I can go with. Id really like some sort of BBS style wheels (not basket weaves although that certainly would be different)

:ninja: Well hey would you look at that... http://www.elementwheels.com/proddetail.asp?prod=sm521885bsm521810b

True Forged offers discounts to modularfords.com members. Their Chicane line might be something you're interested in. They are a completely custom wheel shop and can do whatever color you want, on whatever part of the wheel you want, in whatever size and backspacing you want.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
How much power (hp/torque) to wheel stand a SN95era Mustang? An inch or so off the ground is all I am looking for here?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

frozenphil posted:

Agreed. However, a mix and match of those can look really good. I'm very partial to the '03/'04 Cobra front bumper, Cobra R hood, and Saleen S281 3 piece rear wing combo myself.

I completely agree with you here and I will deff check out True Forged as well.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

ultimateforce posted:

How much power (hp/torque) to wheel stand a SN95era Mustang? An inch or so off the ground is all I am looking for here?

What type of suspension and rear tires? NMRA Factory Stock class cars pull the wheels with around 350rwhp or so using stock-type suspension components and drag radials.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Fastlane is the first to come out with a power adder setup for the 2011 Mustang GT. They use a 72mm Borg Warner extended tip turbo (S400) pushing 6psi to make 530rwhp on the stock long block.

This engine is loving retarded.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Jesus Christ thats awesome. Im glad that the engine can really put out some serious power. And people were worried that it was pretty much at max from the factory

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kronix posted:

I get that it won't create traction out of thin air but it's nice to have especially going up slippery hills where it's really hard to tell. None of this is a huge deal, my fiance has a Mazda3 so it'd not like the mustang is going to do hardcore winter duty. My Camaro with 0 electronic goodies was doable so I was wondering what the new stuff would be like. Plus the Mustang has a ton more horsepower.

Just get dedicated snow tires and you'll be fine, MA doesn't get enough snow to overcome RWD unless you're being an idiot or go to Chelmsford regularly. I've seen E92 M3s out in a few inches, and my friend even DDs his S2000 in deep snow.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 17, 2010

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

frozenphil posted:

3.73s will put you somewhere around 2500RPM at 75mph. The modular engines love their RPMs, so don't fear the gear.

Seconding this. People tend to think it's 1973 still, when trannies had no OD and engines wheezed up to 5000rpm, barely. 3.73's run GREAT with mod motors, and don't even lose a helluva lot of mileage at freeway speeds unless you go 90 all the time.

quote:

If it's a Mustang made after 1996 with a v8, it has an LSD. All 2011 Mustangs, v8 and v6, have an LSD.

All GT's after 1982 and all V8 Mustangs since '86 came with LSD's... but sometimes(worn-out T/L's) it doesn't seem that way :D

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

frozenphil posted:

FAQ
Spark plugs ejecting out of the head:
If you've heard of someone that has had a problem with spark plugs ejecting out of the head, more than likely they are using NGK plugs. The problem with the NGK application for the Mustang is that they allow a few threads from the body of the plug to be exposed into the cylinder head. Once those steel threads start heating up they will melt the aluminum head around them. Eventually enough aluminum melts away so as to allow the spark plug to be forcefully ejected from the head. The solution is to not use NGK plugs in your modular engine.

Mod motors do occasionally eject motorcraft plugs too, supposedly because they have less threads in the head than other motors to hold the plugs in. You can repair it with a new thread insert, Ford Motor Company approves warranty repairs using Lock N Stitch's anodized aluminum inserts but I've seen plenty of non-warranty repairs using Helicoils as well.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

JnnyThndrs posted:

All GT's after 1982 and all V8 Mustangs since '86 came with LSD's... but sometimes(worn-out T/L's) it doesn't seem that way :D

I wasn't 100% sure when they added them to the Fox bodies as standard so I put out the year that I was 100% sure of. Thanks for the clarification.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Is there any word on factory packages in the pipe (bullitt, cobra, w/e)?

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

I'm really excited about the new Mustang V-6. I would like to buy one new, with the performance package. I can't afford one now, but it is the first performance car that I've really wanted and actually have the chance to afford.

I don't really have anything more to add. I just wanted to share my raging boner for a Mustang.

Ned_Perfel
Jan 15, 2003
I must be missing something on the v6 mustang. I got a rental '10 model for a week and wasn't impressed in the least (looking aside from the engine). Felt heavy and boat like, visibility sucked, and the interior was not anything hot.

For all of the reviews stating how epic the '11 mustang is supposed to be, they must have made a hell of a lot of changes to it. I'll stick with my 3.8 genesis coupe for now though.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Ned_Perfel posted:

I must be missing something on the v6 mustang. I got a rental '10 model for a week and wasn't impressed in the least (looking aside from the engine).

Well, for starters, the '10 did not have the 300 hp, 31 mpg v6 that everyone is beating off to. '11 is basically the first year anyone has ever been excited about a v6 Mustang.

Plus I think the '11 v6 has the same/better suspension than the '10 v8?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ApathyGifted posted:

Well, for starters, the '10 did not have the 300 hp, 31 mpg v6 that everyone is beating off to. '11 is basically the first year anyone has ever been excited about a v6 Mustang.

Plus I think the '11 v6 has the same/better suspension than the '10 v8?

The '11 has an available performance package that gives it the 3.31 rear diff and suspension of the GT model, so that it has almost as much HP as the '10 GT, and the ride to match.

Man In The Boat
Jan 2, 2006
Let's get down to brass tacks
This is the first time a Ford has been my semi-attainable dream car. I think the styling, the least extreme and faux-retro of the muscle cars, is sexy without looking cartoonish. I have sat in competitors, and it seems like you're in a bunker.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Man In The Boat posted:

This is the first time a Ford has been my semi-attainable dream car. I think the styling, the least extreme and faux-retro of the muscle cars, is sexy without looking cartoonish. I have sat in competitors, and it seems like you're in a bunker.

Agree. I admit the Camaro is beautiful to look at from the outside.

But from the inside? It is actually really reminiscent of my grandfather's old Chrysler 300. He had an incredibly decked out one with a Hemi some years ago, and it was both comfortable and very fast. But I could not stand to drive it because you just could not see out of the drat thing. The Camaro is even worse in that regard, in fact, I have a hard time thinking of any card that is harder to see out of.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ned_Perfel posted:

I must be missing something on the v6 mustang. I got a rental '10 model for a week and wasn't impressed in the least (looking aside from the engine). Felt heavy and boat like, visibility sucked, and the interior was not anything hot.

For all of the reviews stating how epic the '11 mustang is supposed to be, they must have made a hell of a lot of changes to it. I'll stick with my 3.8 genesis coupe for now though.

As I cross-shopped those two (well, the '11 Mustang), and they were really close. If Hyundai Canada had dropped the price of the Genesis Coupe (which they did recently, to compete with the Mustang V6) when I was looking to buy, I might well have picked the Genesis. However, I also heard terrible things about the 6-speed in the GenCoupe, which lessened my enthusiasm for it. On the other hand, the auto had paddle-shifters, which the Mustang didn't, so if I wanted an automatic, I'd have got the GenCoupe.

I'd say that the Genesis is probably the sportier car in terms of handling, although the Mustang definitely was improved from 2010 to 2011 in that department; however, I think the Mustang strikes a better balance performance and comfort as a daily driver.

Essentially, they are two very well-matched cars, and which one you prefer will more or less come down to your particular tastes.

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

I will show you wonderful, terrible things
I've seen nothing but newer cars so far. What about the old guys?

I own a 68 Fastback.

*not mine

I bought it in 1997 for $3300. It ran, but was nowhere near roadworthy condition. The car was all original except for the paint. It came with a 289 (non HiPo) & C4. Original color was Acapulco Blue. Pretty much everything needed a lot of goddamn work.

Fast-forward several years, I handed it over to a guy who has been doing nothing but restoring classic Mustangs for 25 years. We ripped the motor and began the rebuild. I'm keeping the 289, but changing all internal components (solid cam, pistons, heads, etc.). That'll go through some sort of 5-speed trans instead of the C4, then a nice new rear end. I have no idea what the power will be like in the end, but I'm hoping for a solid 350hp to the wheels.

Paint will go back to the original color and interior will be stock with a decent stereo.

The whole venture has cost around $15,000 so far including the initial cost of the car. It'll probably put me back another $20,000 before its done.

My absolute favorite mustang of all time is this guy.

It is a 68 Shelby GT500KR Convertible. With only 318 ever made, I doubt I'll see one in my hands though.

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004
Hey, another 68 fastback! Restored mine with my dad back around 2002, did everything from stripping it down to painting it in his shop. It was a heap when we got it, rust everywhere and bondo half an inch thick in places. It's sitting on my dad's lift at the moment, awaiting a new front suspension strut after the threads on the old one decided to give out while we were fixing the alignment.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Lord Fizzlebottom posted:

I've seen nothing but newer cars so far. What about the old guys?

Technically there's one in the first post.

<---

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
I test drove a 2008 Bullitt and it was easily the coolest car I've ever driven. I know it's just a dressed up(down?) GT but the gimmick works. I really wish I had been able to buy it but i really couldn't afford a new car at the time. I'll probably end up picking one up on the used market for way too much money in a few years...or just wait until ford makes another one :cool:

edit:
I also had a white 95 V6 5-speed Mustang when I was 18. it wasn't fast but It was a fun car, until I cut off a Dodge Durango and totaled it :( I still miss that thing

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Huggable Bear King posted:

I test drove a 2008 Bullitt and it was easily the coolest car I've ever driven. I know it's just a dressed up(down?) GT but the gimmick works. I really wish I had been able to buy it but i really couldn't afford a new car at the time. I'll probably end up picking one up on the used market for way too much money in a few years...or just wait until ford makes another one :cool:

If you really like the look, why don't you tone down a regular GT (and add on some wheels that'll give frozenphil a stroke)? Is it the color?

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

kimbo305 posted:

If you really like the look, why don't you tone down a regular GT (and add on some wheels that'll give frozenphil a stroke)? Is it the color?

yeah you can't get a GT in Highland Green, the gauges have a 60's mustang font, the seats are ribbed and there's an aluminum peice on the dash and a fancy shifter knob. I mean 95% of the car is superficial cosmetic changes, I'm pretty sure the only real performance difference is the exhaust and suspension. I still want one though.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I want one too. :swoon:

edit: I think they were tuned a bit different from the standard GT, as well.

gcroix
Mar 17, 2006
Another good Mustang site, especially for tech, is allfordmustangs.com.
I have a 66 coupe, put in a 5.0L and an AOD, really fun to drive. Until I snapped the driveshaft and blew out the 44 year old differential. Replaced it with a 9 inch unit from Currie. 3:50 ratio, limited slip. No pictures, but I do have a video of my first donut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUuLYiwWopE

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Great exhaust note

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

So today it looks like I'll be signing the paperwork on a new 2011 GT premium with the 19 inch wheels and the 3.55 rear and the final price is 32.500(not counting the 500 rebate, if I don't do ford financing)? It's over invoice but I'm not sure how much better I can do. I made a 33k offer on a very similar car already sitting on the lot last week and the dealer hung up on me.

I'm just trying to convince myself that I'm not getting hosed price wise...does anyone think I can do better?

Also I can't decide...sterling grey metallic or kona blue. I keep going back and forth :bang:

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

kronix posted:

I'm just trying to convince myself that I'm not getting hosed price wise...does anyone think I can do better?

Id say that is decent price, If you bought the "summer" car in the fall season it would probably be a little cheaper. the Dealers are just jacking up the prices of fun cars while its nice out.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

kalvick posted:

Id say that is decent price, If you bought the "summer" car in the fall season it would probably be a little cheaper. the Dealers are just jacking up the prices of fun cars while its nice out.

My only saving grace is that since I'm taking delivery of the car 6-8 weeks from now, I'll qualify for the end of summer incentive stuff.

How much does AI think I could realistically knock off the price if I waited until say, September?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kronix posted:

That's about as good as you're going to do with the car still being relatively new and in demand. The best I've heard of are people finding dealers willing to go $500 over invoice.

Kona Blue is the best color, but don't get it in that color because, when I eventually get a new Mustang, I want mine to be unique like my Sonic Blue 2003 GT was.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

That's about as good as you're going to do with the car still being relatively new and in demand. The best I've heard of are people finding dealers willing to go $500 over invoice.

Kona Blue is the best color, but don't get it in that color because, when I eventually get a new Mustang, I want mine to be unique like my Sonic Blue 2003 GT was.

I love the blue but this car is going to be a city car, I have a nice big driveway and lot behind my house but she'll be doing some nights out on the street for sure. I think silver just holds up better over time with slight damage but drat is that blue sexy...

Owning a black car has made me hate dark colors :(

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

frozenphil posted:

like my Sonic Blue 2003 GT was.

Sonic Blue is an awesome color and I'll miss it.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

kronix posted:

So today it looks like I'll be signing the paperwork on a new 2011 GT premium with the 19 inch wheels and the 3.55 rear and the final price is 32.500(not counting the 500 rebate, if I don't do ford financing)? It's over invoice but I'm not sure how much better I can do. I made a 33k offer on a very similar car already sitting on the lot last week and the dealer hung up on me.

Also I can't decide...sterling grey metallic or kona blue. I keep going back and forth :bang:

If you have a Costco membership, go through their car buying program. It'll be $500 over invoice (w/ holdback) no questions asked. You'll still be able to take advantage of any special offers that Ford provides. I went through Costco for mine, got a call from the dealer within 2 minutes of clicking submit, and ended up paying $750 under invoice after all was said and done ($750 coupon from the brochure through mail, and an additional $500 off from Ford credit).

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

optikalus posted:

If you have a Costco membership, go through their car buying program. It'll be $500 over invoice (w/ holdback) no questions asked. You'll still be able to take advantage of any special offers that Ford provides. I went through Costco for mine, got a call from the dealer within 2 minutes of clicking submit, and ended up paying $750 under invoice after all was said and done ($750 coupon from the brochure through mail, and an additional $500 off from Ford credit).

I don't think it'll make a whole bunch of difference, the invoice is 32 because the 19 inch wheels are 800 invoice and the rear is about 300 invoice. The way I see it, I'm probably getting ~500 invoice right now although I can't really be sure.

Either way I'll be getting this car sometime around late august, early september and losing my license somewhere around October/November :cop:

KlementGottwald
Dec 24, 2009

by angerbot

kalvick posted:

Im gonna have to agree, I got my FR500 wheels when everyone was jumping on the Bulitt deep dish wheels. Now everyone gets the FR500 wheels. They even come stock on the 11 v6 Stang. UGGG.

On the other end of the spectrum, I hate people who put body kits on mustangs. Anything with a European or Asian style to it, just looks terrible on Mustangs.

90% of bodykits, no matter what kind of car they are on, look like absolute rear end.

VVVVVV

Even OEM econobox rims usually look far better than the(usually) cheap-rear end rims the cars have to replace them. Also, they are usually lighter and of higher quality, too.

KlementGottwald fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I couldn't agree more about body kits generally looking like rear end. I don't know if I am in the minority here, but I want a vehicle to be as stock as possible when I am buying one. Especially the wheels.

Maybe the wheels are the most important thing, because they are cheap enough that most people could afford to but Kustom Rimz on their car; and I think very, very few rims look better than factory wheels*. Yes there are exceptions. I am sure that you guys will point some exceptions out to me.

*The factory wheels that come on a Hyundai Accent (or some other cheapie car) are not what I'm talking about here - afterall this is a Mustang thread.