Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Autoblog link

quote:

When the 2011 Ford F-150 arrives this Fall, it will reportedly get an all-new powertrain lineup. Ford already officially confirmed several months ago that the light-duty pickups would be getting the first rear-wheel drive application of the 3.5-liter Ecoboost V6. The transaxles in the current Ecoboost applications are torque-limited, so when the twin turbocharged and direct injected V6 lands in the truck, it could produce as much as 400 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque.
This sounds like a great idea. Ford dropped the old 4.2L V6 when they redesigned the F-150 last year or whenever, but replaced it with the two valve 4.6 as the base engine. Don't get me wrong, the Modular is a decent engine, but "only" 239 hp from 281 cubic inches? GM's base V8, the 4.8, starts at 295 hp, and Chrysler's 4.7 does pretty similar. The 3.7 V6 being the new base engine sounds great, though it is down a bit on torque. I gotta wonder about the Ecoboost and the new 5.0 though... Which one will be the top spec engine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Crustashio posted:

Mercedes really has come a long way with their looks, considering the w203 sportcoupe.

That thing was ugly as sin and the interior is atrocious.

I actually liked the look of that model! Of course, I went on the mbworld.org forum to research it, and it seemed like every other thread was detailing an electrical failure of some kind...

Speaking of pickups though, the Mahindra website says that their trucks are arriving Fall this year. I wonder, it seems like they were supposed to come out more than a year ago.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Left Ventricle posted:

I gotta wonder about the Ecoboost and the new 5.0 though... Which one will be the top spec engine?
Ecoboost is more about mileage than power, but given CAFE, it's the way we're going whether we like it or not. I'm just impressed the new crop of direct-injected turbocharged engines are able to offer such large gains in efficiency without giving up more power than they are. It's amazing that there's still efficiencies to be gained that weren't realized decades ago! At least this time around they're just trading cost for emissions instead of cost AND power like they did in the 80s.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

grover posted:

Ecoboost is more about mileage than power, but given CAFE, it's the way we're going whether we like it or not. I'm just impressed the new crop of direct-injected turbocharged engines are able to offer such large gains in efficiency without giving up more power than they are. It's amazing that there's still efficiencies to be gained that weren't realized decades ago! At least this time around they're just trading cost for emissions instead of cost AND power like they did in the 80s.

The efficiency of DI has been known about for a long time, it just hasn't been economical to implement it in gas engines or effectively mate it with forced induction until the early 90s.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Muffinpox posted:

The efficiency of DI has been known about for a long time, it just hasn't been economical to implement it in gas engines or effectively mate it with forced induction until the early 90s.
Well, it's still not all that economical to implement, but CAFE has forced the manufacturers' hand in the matter.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Kill-9 posted:

P.S. One of those articles introduced me to a new phrase: 'Soft-Roaders' WTF?

Exactly what it sounds like, AWD or 4x4 vehicles that are only good for light off-roading. They can handle a bit of soft sand and mild trails, but you wouldn't take them mudding or rock climbing. Unfortunately they're mostly used as minivan replacements that never see a fleck of mud in their lives, then when it snows the owners call in all pissed because they don't know how to work the 4x4 and the hubs are all seized from never being used.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This is really good news for Team O'Neil:
http://jalopnik.com/5590246/ford-gives-43-fiestas-to-rally-school-wants-you-to-hoon-them

Their fleet of Mk2 Golfs and Jettas has become more and more expensive to maintain. To get a brand new batch of Fiestas makes the school cheaper to operate and thus easier for students to afford. I had asked the instructors when I was there what would happen in the long run, and they were looking at last-gen Hyundai Accents. Assuming the Fiesta does reasonably well in the US, they should have cheap parts for years to come.
I dunno who put 2 and 2 together, but they should be commended.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Good on Ford for that. It's a much better treatment for the Fiesta Movement cars than crushing them (though I hope Ford is keeping at least one of the remaining 57 for their museum/warehouse). I do have vacation time I haven't spent yet..

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

grover posted:

Well, it's still not all that economical to implement, but CAFE has forced the manufacturers' hand in the matter.

I wouldn't call the making vehicles for the most absurdly horsepower-hungry market a forced hand at all. I find that I can't get a decent torquey engine in a small truck without having some sort of deficit, like being huge (tacoma), ancient and with no small engine (ranger), or being a Nissan. I don't get the BUY OLDER viewpoint when its what most people would buy who want a fleet truck, its gotta be the margins. You can't charge $3500 for a diesel which involves expensive emissions testing and applied costs on a $17,000 pickup truck. You could probably do it with a middle sized (realistic) truck with a v6 diesel, but it'd still be a limited market.

There aren't many buyers for tiny cheap trucks with comparatively expensive engine, there aren't many buyers for a hardcore high-articulation high-ratio US-diesel offroad vehicle with miles of ground clearance for cheap (those just buy Jeeps which still are awful cars in every regard besides axle articulation and swaybar disconnect switches but now are a version of a 1997 Range Rover inside), nor anything that people seem to want. Its Americanisms as much as bad management, high emissions regulations play a lesser part, but all 3 point towards we not getting the other world market cars. It took the Internet to realize that GM/Ford made decent cars elsewhere, but we're not running a multi-national corporation in mom's basement so therefore we are a bit more adaptable.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
GM is bringing out a new brand in China. Should ave called it Pontiac.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

hahaha, even the name is a ripoff.
BMW is called Bao Ma in China, which means...Precious Horse, more literally.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Crustashio posted:

Mercedes really has come a long way with their looks, considering the w203 sportcoupe.

That thing was ugly as sin and the interior is atrocious.

See, I actually owned one, drove it for six years and 100K miles and never had a problem with it during all the time. I also really liked the design, although I will say it looked much better in the cobalt blue that I had.

On the other hand, I completely don't get the new design, especially the E-class. It's like they were sitting around a table and going:

Guy 1: We've been doing those round lights for so long now, we need to do something new, something edgy!
Guy 2: Edgy, edgy... I know! Square lights are edgy! We will keep the split lights but make them square!

Then again, the SC was the only Mercedes I liked at that time anyways; I am probably completely out of their target market at this point.

Lazareth
Dec 28, 2004
haha, i'm not an '05, take that!
I know it's been mentioned before, but I really want a Toyota FT-86. They should be rolling off the assembly line in 2012, right around the time I graduate from college and get a real job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UebLu0-wg54

It's a rear-wheel drive coupe, and should make about 200hp for the base model.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Lazareth posted:

I know it's been mentioned before, but I really want a Toyota FT-86. They should be rolling off the assembly line in 2012, right around the time I graduate from college and get a real job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UebLu0-wg54

It's a rear-wheel drive coupe, and should make about 200hp for the base model.
Although they keep saying it's a spiritual successor to the AE-86, it always seems a lot more 2000GT-like to me.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hog Obituary posted:

Because it's being tested and they haven't officially released images of the car yet. They don't want you to know exactly what the car is going to look like ahead of the marketing/press release, but they still need to test it in the wild.

I think this part is what's mainly being pointed out as not mattering anymore. With all the websites that pretty much exist for the sole purpose of posting spy shots of new vehicles (or other products for that matter) it just seems stupid that companies keep spending so much on hiding their test mules when everyone's going to know pretty much everything anyways. It doesn't seem like they gain anything, more that it's just the marketing department trying to act like they still have a purpose in having a big "reveal" event. If it's that done, just loving show it already!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Well, it does and it doesn't. A test mule, likely as not, doesn't have the "final" version of whatever bodywork is being hidden, and I think manufacturers want to prevent incorrect images getting out as much as anything else.

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
Audi A7 Sportback revealed today. This is Audi's answer to the CLS, Panamera.. basically 2+2 luxury.
Imagine a cross between an A5 and an A8.
I'm at work, so I can't post any pics..

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Hermansen posted:

Audi A7 Sportback revealed today. This is Audi's answer to the CLS, Panamera.. basically 2+2 luxury.

Found some pictures at http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/26/2011-audi-a7-sportback-shows-its-shapely-rump-in-munich/

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Why do all Audi look exactly the same ? All the other brands manage to make their models distinctive enough that you don't need to have a look at the bagde to see what it is.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I like Audi's unified brand image a lot, actually.

And that A7 looks roughly fourteen thousand times better than the 5GT, but is that even a true competitor?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

And that A7 looks roughly fourteen thousand times better than the 5GT

That's not really a feat, considering that the 5GT is a giant turd on wheels. Is there anything worse in the same price range ?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Spatule posted:

That's not really a feat, considering that the 5GT is a giant turd on wheels. Is there anything worse in the same price range ?

Yeah, the X6.

I'm just trying to think of segment similar vehicles. I guess it'll compete with the Panamera and the CLS as well, but the Panamera has a look only a mother could love and the CLS is really staid looking. I'd imagine/hope that the A7 will beat the Panamera on price.

edit: Speaking of the BMW uggo twins, my dealer tells me that they haven't moved many of either, but they're a little hopeful on the 5GT once it comes out with AWD (since this is New England). I think they've moved about three X6s and five 5GTs YTD, and I'm in a volume location.

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.

Spatule posted:

Crossposting from the hot car chicks thread...

Slothophile posted:

The new BMW 'Gran Coupe' which should apparently be available in 2012...

Which looks roughly a million times better than the A7 :)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Can't really compare concept to production. BMW'll gently caress it up.

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Can't really compare concept to production. BMW'll gently caress it up.

There isn't anything wild about it that they couldn't put into production, it might have more solidly attached mirrors and normal door handles but that's about it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

People said exactly the same thing about the XF concept and look where it ended up. The XF is still good looking but it's not in the same realm as the concept.

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

People said exactly the same thing about the XF concept and look where it ended up. The XF is still good looking but it's not in the same realm as the concept.

The main change on the XF was the lights which had to be changed to fit regulations, they also changed the mirrors and reduced the wheel flare at the back, partly because the concept had huge wheels. The BMW could go into production without body shape changes. It's been designed much more as a production ready concept.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I'm not getting the reasoning behind making that Gran Coupe or whatever. I mean, the 6 series is basically a 5 minus the rear doors. So why would you take the 6 and put the rear doors back on? Isn't it then just a 5 with a different roofline?

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Left Ventricle posted:

I'm not getting the reasoning behind making that Gran Coupe or whatever. I mean, the 6 series is basically a 5 minus the rear doors. So why would you take the 6 and put the rear doors back on? Isn't it then just a 5 with a different roofline?

It's a CLS competitor. ie a swoopy looking saloon for people that need 4 doors but will pay more money to get something a bit less common and more stylish.

Also the 6 series is a 2+2 coupe/roadster. It competes with stuff like the SL and A5.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
MINI has officially announced that they are partnering with Prodrive to enter the WRC. Cars are also being made available for private teams. The best part is that they are using the 4 door Countryman, which means that the Mini purists and historians will be forced to love a car that they have hated up to this point.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/07/27/its-official-mini-is-going-rally-racing-in-the-wrc/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I can't help but think that it's lucky that the WRC regs are being downgraded to S2000+. Should make it easier for BMW and Prodrive to develop the car.

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

The 918 just got green lit....

gently caress yes.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Slothophile posted:

The 918 just got green lit....

gently caress yes.

Now I get to look forward to never owning one and only once seeing one in passing.

But youtube is good enough, right? Right? :(

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I look at the picture for that car and the first thing I notice is for all that money and all that styling, you still don't get xenon projectors in your headlights. Guess they had to save money somewhere with those rims.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pricing for the Chevy Volt has been released, for the sum of $41,000 you can own GM's first electric car with all the teething issues to go with it!

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/volt/2011/2011-chevrolet-volt-priced-at-41000-orders-start-now.html

quote:

GM on Tuesday said the 2011 Chevrolet Volt will be priced at $41,000, including a $720 destination charge, when it arrives in select launch markets later this year. That is $8,220 more than the 2011 Nissan Leaf electric car — even though GM insists that the Volt is "in a class by itself."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The lease term is 350/mo 36 months, 2500 down plus associated fees due at signing. That seems like a much better proposition on a totally new design, provided you get in under the mileage limit.

And after tax credits and everything I think the net is around $33500... which is basically where everyone expected the net to be. Yawn.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Naky posted:

I look at the picture for that car and the first thing I notice is for all that money and all that styling, you still don't get xenon projectors in your headlights. Guess they had to save money somewhere with those rims.

LED headlights bro.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The lease term is 350/mo 36 months, 2500 down plus associated fees due at signing. That seems like a much better proposition on a totally new design, provided you get in under the mileage limit.

And after tax credits and everything I think the net is around $33500... which is basically where everyone expected the net to be. Yawn.

Irony is it's a car that only makes fiscal sense if you are racking up a shitload of miles.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Irony is it's a car that only makes fiscal sense if you are racking up a shitload of miles.

Oh yeah, the lease is clearly for people who are willing to pay a premium to have it because it's cool and neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Oh yeah, the lease is clearly for people who are willing to pay a premium to have it because it's cool and neat.

How will I be an annoyingly smug human being about my mileage at the pumps :sigh:

edit: NEVERMIND, it comes with an engine thank loving god.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 29, 2010