Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
Games Workshop (or Citadel, however they brand it) make foundation paints and I would recommend buying red and yellow. Iyanden Darksun is the yellow one I use, you can lighten it up from there with sunburst easily. The only way to get yellow from black is with heaps of thin coats, but with foundations you only really need three for a smooth solid colour (that's including a final coat of sunburst to make it really brighten up). It's seriously like cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I give no gently caress about cheating. If its painted, looks good, and was stupidly simple to do, I'm all for it.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

It's seriously like cheating.

About foundations; This. It REALLY feels like this. Have you ever gotten a red basecoat done in one coat. You can if you throw some foundation paint under that poo poo.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Iyanden Darksun is the better of the yellows, dont go near Tausept Ochre at all.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Well, let's not go crazy there. I use Tausept constantly for my Skaven. It's not a yellow-yellow, so don't use it for that. If you need a light yellow-brown, though, it's solid.

Calthan Brown, I believe is the name, is loving awful, though. Mine is insanely thick, but I almost never use it, so it's not a giant pain in the rear end, but I still gotta shove something in the pot and stir like crazy.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Maybe I got a bad pot or something - I bought Tausept for use on my Bad Moons and it didn't cover any better than you would expect of a yellow paint. This is over black primer though.

I'd pretty much given up on painting my Orks yellow, but gave Iyanden a whirl before throwing in the towel. Its amazing. :swoon:

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
Iyanden owns. Tausept is sweet for dirty yellows though and I used it for my veteran Imperial Fists force who were all beat up looking.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I really didn't notice any difference in coverage between Mechrite Red and P3's Skorne Red. Mechrite also smells TERRIBLE.

They're not the same color at all; mechrite is a lot darker, but they're both reds and they both cover over black really well. It's like most of P3's stuff is "foundation" quality.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

seriously? my mechrite red is almost pink looking, skorne red definitely the darker of the two for me. Maybe I got a duff pot of mechrite? v:shobon:v

that and my skorne red doesn't cover black at all well compared to mechrite

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I tend to agree with aranan on mechrite, I think its wildly overrated. It has a weird glossy sheen and doesnt cover that great.

I still dont get why a LOT of people think that this:

black primer
mechrite red
blood red
devlan
blood red
baal red glaze

is somehow easier/magical compared to this

white primer
blood red
shade with brown/green/whatever

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I think I've been scarred by old old old pots of blood red and lovely coverage on white from back in the day. I think the last time I tried a red GW paint on a white undercoat was some time in the mid 90s and the coverage was poo poo.

My only recent foray into painting red on a white undercoat is skorne red that turned out absolutely loving sexual, but undercoating white doesn't fit with how I paint my bases soo... :(

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I think it takes 2 thinned coats of blood red to cover white, but you can apply them super fast.

Ive always felt that white or light colored primers just give you much better color depth, no matter how "opaque" a paint is, the primer color still shows through

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The old Coat d'Armes Blood Red would never cover white particularly well. I have the most amazingly streaky Rhino from back then which had perhaps 30 or 40 layers applied in varying thicknesses to try get it a solid red, yet still there are pink areas.

The way I used to paint Blood Angels was thus undercoat black, drybrush Bleached Bone, drybrush Blood Red, wash Blood Red, blackline.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I share my paint set with a buddy who I dragged into the hobby kicking and screaming. Now I'm moving house so its not really going to be viable to do so anymore. I am going to be nice and leave the entire collection with him as an excuse to build myself a new set, this time branching out and integrating paints from Vallejo and P3.

Can anyone give me a rundown on the better colours from each selection? As in, which paints best fill a gap in GWs range? Which do you swear by? Which would you never again paint without?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Ok I'll bite, here's just a few:

P3 Battlefield Brown - awesome chocolate brown, best comparison to GW paint is bestial brown I think, maybe a bit darker, I can't remember.. it's been a while since I touched a GW paint that wasn't a foundation paint

P3 Menoth White Base - I pretty much use it as a straight substitute for bleached bone

P3 Skorne Red - Mad props to PV for this, on a white undercoat it's awesome, can't really think what red it replaces because I have a fetish for reds and use so many of them all over the drat shop

edit: it also goes without saying that I wouldn't even consider leaving any of the citadel foundation paints out of my box of paints, nor the citadel washes.

I've dabbled with the VGC inks as well and they're quite heavily pigmented straight out of the pot but with some watering down they're awesome, if a bit on the shiny glossy side. Don't think I'd leave home without those either.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
P3 Coal Black is awesome for black highlighting. Mix with some pure white to get a great bluish grey.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Here are some others that havent been mentioned:

p3
menoth white highlight: really awesome highlight mix color, because its not cool like most whites are, its got a warm tone but its still very light in value. Covers well.

meredius blue: amazing intense turq color

jack bone/menoth white: like bleached bone, but cover way better

bootstrap leather: great leather/trim color, covers extremely well

skorne red: ownage

bloodstone: awesome color for rust effects and whatnot

umbral umber: super dark brown, great for lining/shading/etc. I use it a lot because its a pretty neutral brown.

VMC:
Ice yellow: awesome for the same reason MWH is awesome

Ice blue: same, but cool instead of warm

Black-gray: amazing charcoal color that covers like a champ

Other than p3 (which I carry almost the entire range now because they are so good) I specifically bought certain VMC colors for my site based on my/other goons experiences with them.

So when it comes to VMC, Im always looking for color suggestions

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I think I might have already said it but VMC burnt cadmium red is an awesome dark red that covers black really well

also VMC black red

annddd... VMC dark red, flat red, red

all lovely, can't comment on how well they cover black though because I'm not stupid enough to try :v: (needless to say, I don't think they'll cover black at all well but jesus gently caress they're lush reds)

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

I tend to agree with aranan on mechrite, I think its wildly overrated. It has a weird glossy sheen and doesnt cover that great.

I still dont get why a LOT of people think that this:

black primer
mechrite red
blood red
devlan
blood red
baal red glaze

is somehow easier/magical compared to this

white primer
blood red
shade with brown/green/whatever

I've got you beat:
Red Spray primer

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

:smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Awesome, thanks dudes.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
Just for shits and giggles, would anyone like to post their first paint jobs? I'm curious how I'm stacking up against others for first warhammy hams.

edit: I updated mt previous post with another picture.

slightpirate fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 19, 2010

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Here's a few of my first orks.

note: I have since moved from glossy sealant to satin, you don't need to hound me on it ;)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

:smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

pw pw pw posted:

Here's a few of my first orks.

note: I have since moved from glossy sealant to satin, you don't need to hound me on it ;)

gently caress dude, you're supposed to post lovely ones so that he can feel better about his (whatever their condition), those are actually pretty drat good for first minis.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Miles O'Brian posted:

gently caress dude, you're supposed to post lovely ones so that he can feel better about his (whatever their condition), those are actually pretty drat good for first minis.

Yeah, here's how you post lovely first minis.

I've improved since.

Just a little.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It's funny you guys are saying that, I sat out the last 8 months of the warhammer threads because I was tired of people making fun of my poo poo.
here's a few group shots of my first two squads, if'n you're interested.

This is making me want to buy some more boyz. God help me

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 19, 2010

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Here's a lovely photo of the first mini I ever painted:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I got the first of my Exodites primed, but have since had about a month of painter's block, so I need some help picking a scheme for them.

Click here for the full 798x596 image.

There's two of them, awkwardly sticky-tacked to their mounts (the one on the left I guess would be the closest thing to an "Exarch"). I want these guys to look kind of like a ceremonial guard, so I'm kind of leaning towards purple and gold. For the raptors, I'm at a complete loss. Any ideas?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cthulu Carl posted:

I got the first of my Exodites primed, but have since had about a month of painter's block, so I need some help picking a scheme for them.

Click here for the full 798x596 image.

There's two of them, awkwardly sticky-tacked to their mounts (the one on the left I guess would be the closest thing to an "Exarch"). I want these guys to look kind of like a ceremonial guard, so I'm kind of leaning towards purple and gold. For the raptors, I'm at a complete loss. Any ideas?
I like how the dude on the right looks like he's making that Cold One re-roll his failed stupidity check by punching him in the face.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

pw pw pw posted:

It's funny you guys are saying that, I sat out the last 8 months of the warhammer threads because I was tired of people making fun of my poo poo.

Yeah... Just stick with us. We tend to give, you know, constructive criticism here. In the other threads... Not so much.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

If you model a boob onto any model I will end you.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

What if it's a slaaneshi model that isn't a space marine?

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax

Sole.Sushi posted:

anyone else think it's strange that GW slaps naked tits on all these crazy looking slaneshi monsters but managed to control themselves on the relatively human daemonettes?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

[IMG]http://img.waffleimages.com/7c7694d08dff1e61381000281ac21a7a5eafed4a/blue-footed-boobie-galapagos-big[1].jpg[/IMG]

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

pw pw pw posted:

guys

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

He obviously gave him the "Boy Tossin' " upgrade.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

You can make the whole thing into a giant porous nipple if you want, that's cool.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Reminder: Doc Thunder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Aetilus posted:

anyone else think it's strange that GW slaps naked tits on all these crazy looking slaneshi monsters but managed to control themselves on the relatively human daemonettes?

Well, tits on a snake isn't as overtly sexual as tits on a woman, and young kids likely aren't going to understand the reasons why the snake has tits to start with: they are just going to giggle and say "hehe, snaketits."

Fake Edit: To elaborate--the "reasons" the snake has tits is because Slaanesh is all about sensation, and really, it would certainly be a, "different" sensation to be raped by a snake with tits, a horse-sized face and a tongue so big that could feltch you while it gives you a blowjob, while it simultaneously crushes you to death with snake coils/tits.

Sigh. Why do I know this poo poo? :suicide:

• Locked thread