Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Are there any Harvest Moon (or Harvest Moon spinoff, like Rune Factory) games that don't have time limits, or don't have particularly strict ones? I'm not too familiar with the series, but my girlfriend played Magical Melody on GC, and really wanted to enjoy it, but was put off because each game day was too short and didn't give her enough opportunity to do everything she wanted to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

What kind of time limits? If you mean keep playing year after year, I think most of them let you do that (I know the PSX one - Back to Nature(?) - does), but the score stops counting after a certain point. If you mean endless days, the original SNES game stops the clock at 6pm, but you can keep working if you run up to the mountains and eat fruit periodically. The next day won't come until you sleep.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

quote:

Tips for simulator/strategy/management games
Thanks! I forgot that I had already tried Tropico 3, but thanks for suggesting it anyway.

Hooked on Evil Genius right now, gotten like 6 hours in and still only feels like the tip of the iceberg. I keep starting over because I gently caress up the base planning (freezer at the entrance :/). Also built a hotel that couldn't have any wings...
It feels a lot like Theme Hospital, in a sense.
I'll try Transport Tycoon Deluxe too.
If any other games pop up feel free to tell me about them too.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Any games similair to Champions of Norrath in quality, gameplay, loot etc? Played the sequel, dark alliance 1 and 2, diablo and torchlight of course.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Egomaniac posted:

What kind of time limits? If you mean keep playing year after year, I think most of them let you do that (I know the PSX one - Back to Nature(?) - does), but the score stops counting after a certain point. If you mean endless days, the original SNES game stops the clock at 6pm, but you can keep working if you run up to the mountains and eat fruit periodically. The next day won't come until you sleep.

Magical Melody definitely had a time limit that strictly limited the number of actions you could do in a day, and there wasn't a way around it. If I get another one, it'll be one of the more recent ones (nothing older than PS2), but only if the pace is more relaxed.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Whenever I go on a Harvest Moon binge (Playstation version playing on ePSXe), I use PEC to enable me to freeze time when needed, as well as automatically feed the cows and chickens once I get a lot of cows. Sure, it's not in the spirit of the game, but I can't work with the limited time the game gives me (and gently caress feeding 12 cows and chickens as well as milking and grooming and...).

Especially the feeding cows codes are important to me, since I spend probably 10 minutes pushing cows out of the way so I can place the feed correctly otherwise.

I can't play any of my Playstation games on my regular PSX anymore. Save states and cheat codes have spoiled me rotten :(

I'm still waiting for PS2 emulation to work as well as PSX emulation on my PC so I can go through all of my games again with save states.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 19, 2010

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Elijah. posted:

Thanks for reminding me of Robinson's Requiem. The game and its sequel are on GOG for six bucks, so I'll definitely be getting those.

Haha! I played Robinson's Requiem as a kid and the most amusing thing I discovered was to eat some shrooms, chop ALL your limbs off and jump into a lake after that. Just before you die you could see your own arms totally intact in the swimming animation - TAKE THAT you lousy game, where's your realism now, huh?

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

Magical Melody definitely had a time limit that strictly limited the number of actions you could do in a day, and there wasn't a way around it. If I get another one, it'll be one of the more recent ones (nothing older than PS2), but only if the pace is more relaxed.

Not sure then, but the PSX game is widely considered the best one, and I heartily agree with that sentiment.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I have been enjoying the living poo poo out of Final Fantasy Tactics. It's one of the few games I have been willing to play twice because of two things:

Its awesome battle system

Its interesting cast

Seriously, this is the one Final Fantasy game I felt that didn't have annoying characters. Could anyone recommend me another game with a good RPG battle system and is capable of developing good characters? It doesn't have to be a Tactical RPG like FFT was, I just want a good ol' RPG.

Here's a list of RPG's I've played so far that seem to have this:

FFVI
Chrono Trigger
The World Ends With You
FFIV
Suikoden

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Contra Calculus posted:

I have been enjoying the living poo poo out of Final Fantasy Tactics. It's one of the few games I have been willing to play twice because of two things:

Its interesting cast

Seriously, this is the one Final Fantasy game I felt that didn't have annoying characters. Could anyone recommend me another game with a good RPG battle system and is capable of developing good characters? It doesn't have to be a Tactical RPG like FFT was, I just want a good ol' RPG.

FFVI
Chrono Trigger
The World Ends With You
FFIV
Suikoden

Do they have to be JRPGs, what systems?

I'd recommend Lost Odyssey if you have a 360, the writing for the story bits are fantastic.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Barudak posted:

Do they have to be JRPGs, what systems?

I'd recommend Lost Odyssey if you have a 360, the writing for the story bits are fantastic.

Nah, they can be any type of RPG's. I also forgot to mention Dragon Age has some good characters too, but I was kind of writing that list on the fly.

edit: VVVVVV Sounds good I'll check those out and I've seen quite a lot of praise for them on these forums anyway. I'll take a look at Lost Odyssey as well.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 20, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Contra Calculus posted:

Its interesting cast

FFVI
Chrono Trigger
The World Ends With You
FFIV
Suikoden

Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 for PS2 (persona 3 portable for PSP is preferred over P3 FES though) are two of the best JRPGs at developing truly interesting characters. Character development has always been a major weak-point in modern JRPGs, but it's really exceptional in these games, especially in Persona 4. I honestly can't think of any JRPG that does it better than P4. It's anime art style and plot that centers around high school students in Japan turn some people off, but considering you're a fan of TWEWY, you should be OK with it.

Also I'm really fond of the battle system. It's a standard turn based system in first appearances, but it's really fast, it's just challenging enough to keep your interest, it's tactical in how you use your spells/abilities and switch personas, and plus there's awesome music!

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Hey speaking of Suikoden-

I really liked Suikoden5... Suikoden1 somewhat less. Suiko5 was great because it had so much extra poo poo to do not even counting the recruitments, what with the trading and fishing and decoration and voice/window/whatever collection. I usually hate JRPG characters but these ones were mostly very likeable and well fleshed out, especially considering that there's loving 108+ of them (the beavers were all irritating cunts but whatever). I even ended up with a mild crush on Oboro. :3: Hell even the ridiculous anime cliches didn't bug me because the game didn't rely on them. The NPCs always had different poo poo to say too, when I returned to their towns after events.

So which Suikoden, if any, might I also like? I heard that Suiko4 is awful, and that Suiko3 is considered really good... it looks significantly more uh, serious than Suiko5 though, not sure if I'd be into that. Suiko2 is also considered okay by reviewers but it's considerably dated...

HMMM.

ninja e: I do not consider Suiko Tierkreis part of the *proper* Suikoden series. :colbert:

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I'm looking for something similar to Planescape: Torment, a story driven RPG with lots of dialog and and interesting world to enjoy. I've played through the other Infinity Engine games, Fallout, Dragon Age and Arcanum and can't really find anything else to play.

If anyone knows of similar games, I'd appreciate a recommendation. It doesn't have to be from an isometric perspective or anything but I am looking for RPGs (no JRPGs/Sandbox type games though. Played too much of the former and don't really care for the latter).

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

General Emergency posted:

I'm looking for something similar to Planescape: Torment, a story driven RPG with lots of dialog and and interesting world to enjoy. I've played through the other Infinity Engine games, Fallout, Dragon Age and Arcanum and can't really find anything else to play.

Little wonder, games like that come out only a few times per decade. I think the Mass Effect series might be the closest you'll get for story driven and dialogue heavy. Good games, but perhaps not what you're looking for as it's fairly sci-fi, and Mass Effect 1 hasn't aged well (and you might have played it already if you've played Dragon Age).

I've got much the same preference as you in RPGs I see, and can only sadly conclude that there's not a lot of titles that combine both interesting worlds and lots of dialogue.

Alpha Protocol and Mass Effect 1 + 2 do the dialogue parts pretty well, Knights of the Old Republic too to some degree. World exploration wise though, they're not really free-roaming on the same level as the titles you mentioned. Alpha Protocol is also fairly short (but very replayable), but the dialogue is great. Not a fantasy setting, though.

Jade Empire is another title that might be worth looking into, but it has a mute protagonist (like Knights of the Old Republic), it's fairly action heavy at times, and well, I can't remember too much about it anymore as it's been a good number of years. Might be difficult to run decently on modern computers.

Divinity II: Ego Draconis has a pretty big world, but it's not very dialogue heavy.

The Witcher has periods of dialogue, and the world can be fairly big, but it never really gripped me personally. It was decent enough that I plan to get back to it at some point though, now that they've fixed the bad loading times.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines has a decent amount of dialogue, but it has some technical issues and it's not really much of a story underneath it.

In short: It's a small market and you've already played the best games in it, the rest is just trying to find something that's decent enough to satisfy the various cravings.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?
Here's a tough recommendation to tackle: tycoon games and business sims that don't absolutely suck. I probably put more hours into Railroad Tycoon II than any other game as a kid: I loved it. For many reasons, including it having the best simulation of the financial system any game has ever produced: stock trading was there, of course, but in great detail. Short selling, buying on margin, margin calls, a Yahoo! Finance worth of information on the equity of your company and competitors. Hostile takeovers, leveraged buyouts, you could do it all. Corporate actions like stock splitting were represented--hell, you could even issue corporate bonds and watch the credit rating of your company change! That's to say nothing of the terrific railroad simulation that it was, with tons of engines to choose from, a dynamic economy, and the ability to buy profitable industries. I felt like a little Dagny Taggart.

I don't think I liked RT3 that much, but I never really gave it much of a chance. Sid Meier's Railroads! was like an arcade version of the venerable series, I can't believe he put his name on it, seeing as he created the first game. There have been a ton of awful Tycoon games released that all seem to be for kids, like selling lemonade and fairy loving godmothers (I poo poo you not: http://www.pogo.com/fairy-godmother-tycoon/mkt-page.jsp). The Prison Tycoon series could have been awesome if everything about it gameplay-wise wasn't abysmal.

So I'm looking for business sims or *good* tycoon games to play. I loved Tropico 3, but it's not really what I'm looking for; sports management games (like Football Manager, which is supposed to be terrific) are also out. I want to run a plausible business, the more detailed and realistic, the better.

Any suggestions?

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

General Emergency posted:

If anyone knows of similar games, I'd appreciate a recommendation. It doesn't have to be from an isometric perspective or anything but I am looking for RPGs (no JRPGs/Sandbox type games though. Played too much of the former and don't really care for the latter).
Have you played Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer? It got some great story / dialog, and a definite Planescape feel to it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

modestduty posted:

Here's a tough recommendation to tackle: tycoon games and business sims that don't absolutely suck.
Any suggestions?

Probably more comprehensive and less pretty than what you're looking for, but have you played dwarf fortress?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Corridor posted:

Hey speaking of Suikoden-

I really liked Suikoden5... Suikoden1 somewhat less. Suiko5 was great because it had so much extra poo poo to do not even counting the recruitments, what with the trading and fishing and decoration and voice/window/whatever collection. I usually hate JRPG characters but these ones were mostly very likeable and well fleshed out, especially considering that there's loving 108+ of them (the beavers were all irritating cunts but whatever). I even ended up with a mild crush on Oboro. :3: Hell even the ridiculous anime cliches didn't bug me because the game didn't rely on them. The NPCs always had different poo poo to say too, when I returned to their towns after events.

So which Suikoden, if any, might I also like? I heard that Suiko4 is awful, and that Suiko3 is considered really good... it looks significantly more uh, serious than Suiko5 though, not sure if I'd be into that. Suiko2 is also considered okay by reviewers but it's considerably dated...

HMMM.

ninja e: I do not consider Suiko Tierkreis part of the *proper* Suikoden series. :colbert:

Suikoden 2 probably has more side stuff to do then others. 4 should be avoided at all costs. 3, I'm not even sure why they called it Suikoden. It wasn't very good in my opinion, and I felt more limited with everything I was doing then in the others.

2 really is the best besides 5. Better story, characters, and lots to do with your castle. And my personal favorite, cooking mini-game!

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Corridor posted:

Suikoden
Play Suikoden 2 full stop. It's not that dated and is by far the best Suikoden.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?

Heran Bago posted:

Probably more comprehensive and less pretty than what you're looking for, but have you played dwarf fortress?

gently caress Dwarf Fortress. I can't play that poo poo. Drives me up a loving wall every time I try to learn. I'm into deep, complex games (I love X3, Port Royale, etc.) but there is literally no way I will ever touch Dwarf Fortress again. A major should buy the rights to it from that poor little spergling and make it into a proper game, maybe drop some features in exchange for things most gamers consider necessary, like graphics and playability.

Any other ideas?

I'll also take recommendations for games like Dwarf Fortress that aren't Dungeon Keeper or Evil Genius. Same idea.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

modestduty posted:

Here's a tough recommendation to tackle: tycoon games and business sims that don't absolutely suck. I probably put more hours into Railroad Tycoon II than any other game as a kid: I loved it. For many reasons, including it having the best simulation of the financial system any game has ever produced: stock trading was there, of course, but in great detail. Short selling, buying on margin, margin calls, a Yahoo! Finance worth of information on the equity of your company and competitors. Hostile takeovers, leveraged buyouts, you could do it all. Corporate actions like stock splitting were represented--hell, you could even issue corporate bonds and watch the credit rating of your company change! That's to say nothing of the terrific railroad simulation that it was, with tons of engines to choose from, a dynamic economy, and the ability to buy profitable industries. I felt like a little Dagny Taggart.

I don't think I liked RT3 that much, but I never really gave it much of a chance. Sid Meier's Railroads! was like an arcade version of the venerable series, I can't believe he put his name on it, seeing as he created the first game. There have been a ton of awful Tycoon games released that all seem to be for kids, like selling lemonade and fairy loving godmothers (I poo poo you not: http://www.pogo.com/fairy-godmother-tycoon/mkt-page.jsp). The Prison Tycoon series could have been awesome if everything about it gameplay-wise wasn't abysmal.

So I'm looking for business sims or *good* tycoon games to play. I loved Tropico 3, but it's not really what I'm looking for; sports management games (like Football Manager, which is supposed to be terrific) are also out. I want to run a plausible business, the more detailed and realistic, the better.

Any suggestions?

Well... how about a corporation simulator? Capitalism Plus is as straightforward of a recommendation as I can give, but it's really good. I never played the sequel so I can't say if it's better, but the first capitalism is a game that I really enjoyed quite a lot.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

modestduty posted:

Any suggestions?

It's a little old at this point, but Capitalism 2 was a pretty good business sim. Or you can kick it old school.

edit: drat it you beat me by SECONDS!

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down

Contra Calculus posted:

Its interesting cast

FFVI
Chrono Trigger
The World Ends With You
FFIV
Suikoden

You would probably like Earthbound... As long as you have a super nintendo and about eighty bucks... Either way, the game is pure quality, its unique and even strangely funny at times. The combat system is great too; its turn-based, but kind of different from Final Fantasy. I bought the game a little more than a few years ago for about fifty bucks and thought it was well worth it.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

So the only Final Fantasy game I've played/beaten is XIII . . . I kinda want to go back and play some of the 2D ones. Maybe not all of them, but at least the ones that are worth going through. I have a DS, PSP, GBA, PS2, pretty much every console that a FF game/remake has shown up on, so getting ahold of various versions shouldn't be a problem. So I'm wondering what versions I should get, and what order I should play them in. I am pretty new to 2D RPGs so a friendly difficulty curve between games would be nice.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

So the only Final Fantasy game I've played/beaten is XIII . . . I kinda want to go back and play some of the 2D ones. Maybe not all of them, but at least the ones that are worth going through. I have a DS, PSP, GBA, PS2, pretty much every console that a FF game/remake has shown up on, so getting ahold of various versions shouldn't be a problem. So I'm wondering what versions I should get, and what order I should play them in. I am pretty new to 2D RPGs so a friendly difficulty curve between games would be nice.

Are you going to play them all, just the best ones? What did you like about XIII was it the fact you could switch jobs or was it the plot or locations or what?

If you're absolutely, positutely going to play them all just go chronologically as you'll see how the series progressed.

If you liked story, then II, IV, VI.
If you liked class swapping and management of skills I, III, and V.

As far as remakes go, the GBA remakes of IV, V, and VI are excellent. The DS remake of IV adds a poo poo-ton of challenge and makes the graphics a weird n64 caliber 3D. Same thing goes for the III remake on the DS.

I and II were re-released in a massively fixed fashion for the PSP which is probably the best way to play those two.

As for III you are sadly best off playing a patched Rom as the difficulty doesn't spike due to bad play testing like in the DS version, although it does have its own kettle of bullshit.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 23, 2010

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Barudak posted:

Are you going to play them all, just the best ones? What did you like about XIII was it the fact you could switch jobs or was it the plot or locations or what?

Eh, I just want to play them because I want to play more RPGs, not just because I want to play another version of XIII. And I guess I was thinking about skipping II and III just because it doesn't seem like people were fond of either of them. The others all sound fun in their own ways. I'm a little worried that FFI will be a bit too old-school for me but it sounds like it's held up well.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

Eh, I just want to play them because I want to play more RPGs, not just because I want to play another version of XIII. And I guess I was thinking about skipping II and III just because it doesn't seem like people were fond of either of them. The others all sound fun in their own ways. I'm a little worried that FFI will be a bit too old-school for me but it sounds like it's held up well.

Well in general the opinion is split alongside how you feel about jobs. Regardless of that, VI is considered the absolute pinnacle. It has a big cast, interesting plot, decent combat mechanics and a good villain. Plus it looks the nicest.

Following that is either V, if you love the job system, or IV if you like plots. Either way GBA covers those bases.

As for the others, I is a goddamn slogfest. It has slow combat, little direction, and even in the PSP version a ton of broken features. Not to mention what little story their is borders on the ramblings of a madman.

III is basically a gimped version of V with a lot more difficulty and more clear cut "best" choices for a lot of the classes. It gets absolutely bastard-like at the end of the game. The NES version has little to no plot, and the remake forcibly inserts some.

II is, well, ugh. II is the one that introduced real story but it also had the only leveling system that made you stronger by punching your own characters to death. It also basically demanded absurd fore-sight and abuse of game-breaking mechanics to make it through, especially due to numerous glitches which prevent you from leveling certain stats.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

crumrin114 posted:

Have you played Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer? It got some great story / dialog, and a definite Planescape feel to it.

I'd forgotten all about that game. Thanks for reminding me, I'll definitely look it up. Just having a problem locating a copy of NWN2. Seems to be sold out everywhere. Anyone know if some digital distributor is selling it?

AG3 posted:

Lots

As you guessed I've already played Mass Effect and quite a few other's from your list. Haven't tried out Alpha Protocol yet so maybe I'll check that out. Thanks.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

HondaCivet posted:

People will disagree with me on this, but I don't think FF1 has aged well at all. It's torturously grindy and slow, and while the remakes eliminate most of the grind, it's not like the game ever had good dungeon design or anything. You might as well play 3 if you want to play 1—the environments are better, there are many more classes, and it's not really any more complicated. The only fault I can find with it is that the difficulty spikes right at the end of the game (boss gauntlet final dungeon with no save points, inside another dungeon with no save points), but I don't think I would have even minded that had I been warned.

For me, the one that seems to have aged the best is 5. It's moderately challenging (though totally breakable like basically every other game in the series), the class system is fun, and they did a quality translation job on the GBA version that injects the game with a lot of charm and humor it was previously lacking.

And if you're new to 2D RPGs, you should really pick up ChronoTrigger on DS and maybe one of the Dragon Quest remakes.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 23, 2010

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Rollersnake posted:

People will disagree with me on this, but I don't think FF1 has aged well at all. It's torturously grindy and slow, and while the remakes eliminate most of the grind, it's not like the game ever had good dungeon design or anything. You might as well play 3 if you want to play 1—the environments are better, there are many more classes, and it's not really any more complicated. The only fault I can find with it is that the difficulty spikes right at the end of the game (boss gauntlet final dungeon with no save points, inside another dungeon with no save points), but I don't think I would have even minded that had I been warned.

For me, the one that seems to have aged the best is 5. It's moderately challenging (though totally breakable like basically every other game in the series), the class system is fun, and they did a quality translation job on the GBA version that injects the game with a lot of charm and humor it was previously lacking.

And if you're new to 2D RPGs, you should really pick up ChronoTrigger on DS and maybe one of the Dragon Quest remakes.

So pretty much all the FFI remake love IS nostalgia? Kinda suspected as such . . . Anyway, I have been working through Chrono Trigger on the DS and I picked up DQV from a goon, are those an appropriate difficulty? After that, should I just skip the first three and play IV, V and VI then? I was probably going to do that anyway but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to miss out on anything seriously cool.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

So pretty much all the FFI remake love IS nostalgia? Kinda suspected as such . . . Anyway, I have been working through Chrono Trigger on the DS and I picked up DQV from a goon, are those an appropriate difficulty? After that, should I just skip the first three and play IV, V and VI then? I was probably going to do that anyway but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to miss out on anything seriously cool.

I, II, and III offer only the scantest amount of things that could be called "cool." Skipping straight to IV, V, and VI is a good idea given how poorly the first three have aged. Especially I.

Chrono Trigger is an easy RPG without random battles which you should have no problems with. On the other hand, DQV is going to be rich with grinding for both gold and levels so be prepared for that.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Looking for a modern(ish) RPG with a great setting or story like all the classics - Arcanum, Fallout, Planescape, etc. I've already played Vampire, and it's probably my favorite RPG of all time. What's out there for me? Should I try the Gothic series? I do enjoy Elder Scrolls, but Oblivion was bland as gently caress.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

doctor iono posted:

Looking for a modern(ish) RPG with a great setting or story like all the classics - Arcanum, Fallout, Planescape, etc. I've already played Vampire, and it's probably my favorite RPG of all time. What's out there for me? Should I try the Gothic series? I do enjoy Elder Scrolls, but Oblivion was bland as gently caress.

Have you tried the Witcher? It plays similarly to the titles you mentioned and has very interesting choice mechanic.

In addition to that Gothic III isn't going to be the worst choice but it's going to leave a similar taste in your mouth that Oblivion did.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Barudak posted:

Have you tried the Witcher? It plays similarly to the titles you mentioned and has very interesting choice mechanic.

In addition to that Gothic III isn't going to be the worst choice but it's going to leave a similar taste in your mouth that Oblivion did.

I did, but I only got two acts in or so. I should definitely try playing through it again - I can't really remember why I quit. That's too bad about Gothic. Also, I've already played Dragon Age, before anyone recommends me that. It was alright, I guess, but the setting just didn't seem that interesting, nor did the characters or dialogue.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

doctor iono posted:

I did, but I only got two acts in or so. I should definitely try playing through it again - I can't really remember why I quit. That's too bad about Gothic. Also, I've already played Dragon Age, before anyone recommends me that. It was alright, I guess, but the setting just didn't seem that interesting, nor did the characters or dialogue.

Arx Fatalis is an older game but it certainly has a unique setting and play mechanics, although it isn't particularly well balanced. While first person like Oblivion it sets itself apart from pretty much every other FPS RPG.

Have you played Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, or any other of the older isometric WRPGs? They might not be unique but they are similar to Arcanum, Planescape, and Fallout in terms of design.

If you want a glitchy game thats hardcore dungeon crawling and based on one of the most feared modules in all of D&D Troika's "Temple of Elemental Evil" could also be up your alley.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Barudak posted:

Arx Fatalis is an older game but it certainly has a unique setting and play mechanics, although it isn't particularly well balanced. While first person like Oblivion it sets itself apart from pretty much every other FPS RPG.

Have you played Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, or any other of the older isometric WRPGs? They might not be unique but they are similar to Arcanum, Planescape, and Fallout in terms of design.

If you want a glitchy game thats hardcore dungeon crawling and based on one of the most feared modules in all of D&D Troika's "Temple of Elemental Evil" could also be up your alley.

I'll definitely try out Arx Fatalis - it sounds cool.

I did try Baldur's Gate II, but it was actually what prompted this post. I've just gotten into the main city, and I've been farting around a bit, but nothing seems as interesting as it did in Fallout or Arcanum or Planescape.

I might try out Temple of Elemental Evil, because I do love Troika, but to be honest, I'm not much for dungeon crawling.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Probably been requested a million times, but what are some really good modern space sim games?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Sweetling posted:

Probably been requested a million times, but what are some really good modern space sim games?

What do you consider a space sim game, something like Freelancer or what? Can you provide similar games you liked?

If freelancer is the case, X3 and EVE Online are basically your two options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

HondaCivet posted:

Just jump into them and give them a shot. I don't particularly care for 4 and would recommend skipping right to 5 or 6, but I'll admit 4 is a really easy game to get into and a lot of people like it the best. Everyone has differing opinions about which are the better games in the series, and it could be argued endlessly, but nearly all of them have something fun or unique to offer. I've played 1-12 and I honestly didn't feel any of them were without merit or a total waste of my time.