Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Life Aquatic is Anderson's weakest movie anyway. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

FitFortDanga posted:

Life Aquatic is Anderson's weakest movie anyway. :colbert:
I completely agree, but the Cousteau parody gives it an aura of adventure that's missing from all of his other films. And even if it is the least, it's Wes Anderson so it's fun.

The Life Aquatic was both my first Criterion and first Wes Anderson film, so it'll always have a special place in my heart.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Whatever happened to that collection of two dozen or so films that Criterion lost the rights to? The one with Alphaville in it. Any news on what's happening to those?

Those are owned by Studio Canal, and from what I understand they've struck a deal which lets Lionsgate have the distribution rights to the films. Or something. I think only one or two Studio Canal films are even left in the catalog at this point.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
They're probably going to be farted out onto impossibly lovely bare-bones discs.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I get that it's all the rage to poo poo on Studio Canal because they hosed up Ran but from what I can tell the rest of their blurays look good, and are not barebones. If they release all those movies on blu ray in the next year or two then that's probably better than Criterion would do, even if they don't put quite the same level of care into them we imagine criterion would.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I've only gone through half of what I purchased last year, so the only thing I bought this time was Fishing with John. I'll just wait until the next sale to buy the Pedro Costa boxset, Make Way For Tomorrow and Paris, Texas, either in the fall, Christmas or next summer.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I became a B&N member at the sale last year, but haven't used the store much since them. What happened with the additional discounts to each item? I see they now offer free expedited shipping, however that doesn't work for me as I live abroad.

Well, my membership expires at the end of the month and I don't think I'll renew it.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Someone convince me how awful The Wages of Fear and High and Low are so I don't have to buy them.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Cacator posted:

Someone convince me how awful The Wages of Fear and High and Low are so I don't have to buy them.

The second hour of High and Low is really boring, skip it. Can't say a bad word about Wages of Fear, though.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

bmmello posted:

I became a B&N member at the sale last year, but haven't used the store much since them. What happened with the additional discounts to each item? I see they now offer free expedited shipping, however that doesn't work for me as I live abroad.

Well, my membership expires at the end of the month and I don't think I'll renew it.

It looks like you get the free upgraded shipping online but no discount. You still get 10% off in-store though.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Sheldrake posted:

The second hour of High and Low is really boring, skip it. Can't say a bad word about Wages of Fear, though.

I wouldn't go nearly so far as to say skip it, but I agree that High and Low loses a lot of momentum towards the second half - feels more like a standard police procedural. I still think it's a drat good movie but that first half really outshines what comes after. I can't even bring myself to buy SD-DVDs anymore anyway so it's a moot point, but I'm saving so much with the $5 coupons and the membership, and made so much back selling off my old SDs that I may go in on Stagecoach and The Wages of Fear as well. Haven't seen the latter yet, been meaning to forever.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

But I like police procedurals :(

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Cacator posted:

But I like police procedurals :(

It's just the contrast between the first and the second half is so jarring. Imagine if Psycho turned into season one Law & Order in the second half. (I know the second half of Psycho is procedural-ish, but not by the book procedural as what you'll get in High and Low)

Don't get me wrong, High and Low is worth watching, but owning? Nah.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

WTF, you people are insane. The second half of High & Low is amazing. The heroin den scene alone is gold.

Cacator, if you like police procedurals, then buy it. It's some of the best police procedural work there is, with terrific attention to detail. It's one of my top 5 Kurosawas.

The Wages of Fear, on the other hand, you can skip. Yeah it's good, but you probably won't watch it more than once, and the first hour is mostly a lot of dull background and build-up.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The first hour of Wages of Fear is boring as hell, the second kicks all sorts of rear end and is worth watching.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
What this means is you should buy both, then watch the first hour of High and Low, take the disc out, then watch the second hour of Wages of Fear and pretend it's still the same movie.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Hmm, yes. I hate you all.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I can't say anything about High and Low, but The Wages of Fear is one of my favorite films of all time and I highly recommend it.

While we're on the subject of advice, can anyone sell me on Ride with the Devil? It seems interesting, but I'm still on the fence about it.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Defiantly watch High & Low, even if the second half has a slower pace and less claustrophobic feel compared to the first, it is all redeemed with the final scene. All in all it is a great movie and everyone should watch it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Macrame_God posted:

While we're on the subject of advice, can anyone sell me on Ride with the Devil? It seems interesting, but I'm still on the fence about it.

I'd say rent it before buying it. If a Civil War period drama directed by Ang Lee sounds like your cup of tea, it's pretty decent, but I wouldn't call it a great film. I personally enjoy it, but it's not my favorite Ang Lee film and I don't think it's on par with most of Criterion's other recent releases. The Blu Ray does look quite good though.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
drat. B&N canceled my A Woman is a Woman order. Guess it's not as "in-stock" as I had been led to believe!

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Starscream posted:

drat. B&N canceled my A Woman is a Woman order. Guess it's not as "in-stock" as I had been led to believe!

I've had the same thing happen to me in the past with Nights of Cabiria. Sometimes, there are no guarantees. :(

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Criterion just posted on FB that the top 40 best-selling Blu-Ray titles at B&N right now are all Criterions (it's actually the top 46).

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/u/Blu-ray-Bestsellers/379001667/?start=1&cds2Pid=29843

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
This sale just HAD to come right before I am about to depart on a week-long road trip. I spent some serious money I shouldn't have on Blu-Rays...

Yojimbo & Sanjuro
8 1/2
The Last Emperor
Howard's End

And I have a copy of The Red Shoes being held for me to grab tomorrow.

September and October are an absolute beast. I'll be grabbing The Thin Red Line, Paths of Glory, House, and of course Seven Samurai.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

Criterion just posted on FB that the top 40 best-selling Blu-Ray titles at B&N right now are all Criterions (it's actually the top 46).

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/u/Blu-ray-Bestsellers/379001667/?start=1&cds2Pid=29843

I can't help but find it humorous to see that In the Realm of the Senses is one of those top 46 titles. :haw:

Unruly Amoeba
Feb 11, 2007

Macrame_God posted:

I can't help but find it humorous to see that In the Realm of the Senses is one of those top 46 titles. :haw:

I actually pondered getting that today.

Instead, I picked up:
Chungking Express - I am a fan of Wong Kar-Wai, but I hadn't seen this yet.
Last Year at Marienbad
The Seventh Seal

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If anyone is curious Hulu just put up For All Mankind to watch free online.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Unruly Amoeba posted:

I actually pondered getting that today.

Instead, I picked up:
Chungking Express - I am a fan of Wong Kar-Wai, but I hadn't seen this yet.
Last Year at Marienbad
The Seventh Seal

You'll love The Seventh Seal. It's one of my favorite movies. :)

I know I'm going to get some unusual looks but I actually thought that In the Realm of the Senses was a really fascinating film. It's rather drawn out in the later half, but I was still rather intrigued by it all.

Here's my haul...

#042: Fishing with John
#099: Gimme Shelter (Blu-Ray)
#257: Secret Honor
#258: Tanner ‘88
#334: Harlan County, USA
#364: Monsters and Madmen (Boxed-Set)
#409: Days of Heaven (Blu-Ray)
#432: Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters
#433: Patriotism
#440: Brand upon the Brain!
#454: Europa
#501: Paris, Texas (Blu-Ray)
Rebel Samurai (Boxed Set)

It mostly consists of things I've thought about purchasing in the past, but never did so there are a lot of blind buys in there. Unless something goes OOP soon that's probably all I'll get this time around.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Last Year at Marienbad will probably go OOP next year, FYI. It's the last StudioCanal title in Criterion's catalog that's in print.

Unruly Amoeba
Feb 11, 2007

Macrame_God posted:

You'll love The Seventh Seal. It's one of my favorite movies. :)

I know I'm going to get some unusual looks but I actually thought that In the Realm of the Senses was a really fascinating film. It's rather drawn out in the later half, but I was still rather intrigued by it all.

Yeah, I most certainly did. I saw it a month or two ago via Netflix Instant Stream. After seeing it that way, I knew I needed to buy it and have the full package (instead of just a stream). I'm pretty pleased to have permanent access to it now.

As far as In the Realm of the Senses, I know the story it's sourced on. But, it would still be some-what of a blind buy for me. I've never seen an Oshima film before.

As far as Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters, I've seen it (via ze Netflix). The Philip Glass Score is phenomenal (I actually like to listen to The Golden Pavilion ques all the time). Don't know if that's a blind buy for you, Macrame_God, though. You'll have to let me know how Patriotism is.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

For anyone interested in In the Realm of the Senses, I recommend Obayashi's Sada. It makes a great companion piece, and also whets the appetite for House.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
Well gently caress my local B&N for not having The Red Shoes in on release day. I'd order it online, but they took away the 10% membership discount if you order online. This is not a happy day. Not at all.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

azechiel posted:

Well gently caress my local B&N for not having The Red Shoes in on release day. I'd order it online, but they took away the 10% membership discount if you order online. This is not a happy day. Not at all.

If you call them they will order one for you and then call you when it gets to the store. That way you can still get your discount.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

My personal Criterion collection, with justifications...

8 1/2 (blu-ray, bought during this sale to test my new blu-ray player and because everyone in my movie-geek circle of friends loves it to death)
Army of Shadows (got swept up in the tide of positive criticism for its dvd release, plus "2 for 1" barnes and noble sale)
Eyes Without a Face (old-school horror)
The Fallen Idol (wanted more Carol Reed after The Third Man)
Fists in the Pocket (gave the impression of badassness; impressed in other ways upon viewing)
Hiroshima Mon Amour (had to watch more Alain Resnais to know he wasn't just a good Holocaust documentarian)
In the Mood for Love (I love Wong Kar-Wai)
Kicking and Screaming (I love Noah Baumbach and post-grad nostalgia (and redundancy))
The Life Aquatic (I love quirky and funny Wes Anderson)
Man Bites Dog (humor & murder & my film club needed a copy for screening)
Night and Fog (originally watched in a French Lit class, was shocked so deeply I want to revisit that feeling every couple years)
The Royal Tenenbaums (I love quirky Wes Anderson)
Rushmore (I love funny Wes Anderson (notice the lack of Bottle Rocket and Darjeeling Limited))
The Seventh Seal (found on sale, starting Bergman collection from the top)
The Third Man (self-justified)

Some of those (Fists, Eyes, Shadows) were blind bets, but I enjoyed them. All of the above I would rate at least 4/5, whatever that says about my tastes. I am currently on the fence about the blu-ray of Yojimbo/Sanjuro. Is it safe to say I would enjoy it if I love other respected samurai films (Seven Samurai, the Musashi Miyamoto Samurai trilogy, Lone Wolf and Cub)? $35 for a Kurosawa double-classic seems too good to pass up. Sneeze and I'll fall off the fence into blu-tinged depravity.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 21, 2010

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Space Fish posted:

Some of those (Fists, Eyes, Shadows) were blind bets, but I enjoyed them. All of the above I would rate at least 4/5, whatever that says about my tastes. I am currently on the fence about the blu-ray of Yojimbo/Sanjuro. Is it safe to say I would enjoy it if I love other respected samurai films (Seven Samurai, the Musashi Miyamoto Samurai trilogy, Lone Wolf and Cub)? $35 for a Kurosawa double-classic seems too good to pass up. Sneeze and I'll fall off the fence into blu-tinged depravity.

Yojimbo is amazing, if you even remotely like samurai films you'll like it. I haven't met anyone who watched it and didn't like it, film buff or not.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Short Cuts was the best blind-buy ever.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
If I do decide to get another blu-ray or two, which do you guys recommend?

Stagecoach (seen, really liked)
Playtime (haven't seen, saw Mr. Hulot's Holiday and really liked)
El Norte (haven't seen)
Close-Up (haven't seen)
Wages of Fear (haven't seen)
Complete Monterey Pop (haven't seen but have heard so to speak)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Short Cuts was the best blind-buy ever.

So, I'm guessing it's good if I liked Nashville?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

So I chose High and Low over the Wages of Fear. Its subject matter interests me more, and Kurosawa is at least reliably rewatchable.

Space Fish posted:

I haven't seen Sanjuro yet and bought the Yojimbo DVD some time ago, but if you even remotely enjoyed Seven Samurai I think you will love Yojimbo. It's bad-rear end in every way. When I run out of new Criterions to buy I'll jump on the blu-ray boxset, probably before then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Criminal Minded posted:

If I do decide to get another blu-ray or two, which do you guys recommend?

If you really liked Stagecoach then that's probably a good bet, but you can't go wrong with Playtime.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

So, I'm guessing it's good if I liked Nashville?

Probably. It's a bit different, more seriously focused on dysfunctional relationships, most of which are based off of Raymond Carver stories, and just like Nashville is rooted in the 70s, Short Cuts is a very 90s film, from the soundtrack to the references to the clothes, but the basic Altman-isms are there. I guess if you like Raymond Carver then yes, you will probably like Short Cuts. My favorite story is probably the one between Matthew Modine and Julianne Moore (based on Would You Please Be Quiet, Please?), but that's unfair because they're all really good.