Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Leo
Oct 16, 2009

RedContraGuy posted:

I skated from about 13-17 then quit for about a year after a really nasty wrist-killing incident. Picking it back up lasted all of 2 months before school was wearing me out more and more. I'm 22 now and really missed it, so I've ordered an Element Flatlight deck, some Tensor trucks, and Ricta wheels. I'm just waiting for all of that to come in and head off to the local abandoned parking lots to finally have some fun outside again. We'll just see how this all goes.

This is pretty much the exact same situation as I was in, sept i only skated from about 15 - 17.. here we are 5 years later at 22, been skating again for about 3 months and I'm the best i've ever been. God bless skating :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snap Your Fingers
Dec 16, 2006
I've been insightful for about 17 years.
It's all coming back to me surprisingly fast. Today I went from landing about 1 in 100 shove-it attempts while not moving to almost 50% while moving. And it's all from realizing the best foot position is just covering the rear-most screws over my front trucks.

My new complete should get here tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to having a board that will roll and pop consistently instead of my haggard-rear end board I've been using.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
The Plan B Vamdalism video is intense.

The fact that these dudes are amateurs almost makes you feel sorry for anyone who wants to go pro.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Got my mermaid today, rode about 6 miles on it. Fantastic ride. I'm in love (and tired).

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Can you describe the setup you have there? It looks..........................interesting.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

Can you describe the setup you have there? It looks..........................interesting.

Yeah it's a LDP-specific setup -- long-distance pumping. 75mm/83a wheelsand Bennett truck in front, 80a wheels and tracker truck in back. The whole kit is designed toward (nearly) max efficiency in terms of distance per unit power.

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax
Got a silly newby question here. I just got a free junker setup from a mate and this afternoon I began the process of putting some non-shagged bearing on it. BUT... one of the axles is just spinning inside the truck when I tried to loosen the wheel nut. Any ideas on how to fix this or should I just ditch it?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Axles slip out sometimes. If there's a way to fix it I don't know what it is.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

RobotEmpire posted:

Yeah it's a LDP-specific setup -- long-distance pumping. 75mm/83a wheelsand Bennett truck in front, 80a wheels and tracker truck in back. The whole kit is designed toward (nearly) max efficiency in terms of distance per unit power.

Was it a complete, or did you order it custom? What did it cost?

I would really love an LDP board but I can't justify buying a board for every type of skating, I have three as it is :(

Haven't been riding much here, it's too drat hot, the tarmac is like riding on a frying pan.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

leica posted:

Was it a complete, or did you order it custom? What did it cost?

I would really love an LDP board but I can't justify buying a board for every type of skating, I have three as it is :(

Haven't been riding much here, it's too drat hot, the tarmac is like riding on a frying pan.

It was a complete, and this makes my third. I'm pretty sure that if you already have a longboard deck you can make it an "LDP" board pretty easily.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Unless you have eliminators on a 12 ply deck you can pump with anything on four wheels.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

Unless you have eliminators on a 12 ply deck you can pump with anything on four wheels.

Yeah for sure, but after upgrading, things are a hell of a lot more efficient.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Otangs for LDP? Interesting. Are you finding them grippy enough with the tracker rear? I find Otangs pretty drifty, especially on standard geometry trucks. I was running Otang Stimulus 83a on my slalom rig for a bit, and it was fun as long as I didn't pump too hard. I haven't used my In Heats on there though because they're a little too big to fit without adding a fair amount of riser.
Here's a tip for all you LDP guys that I like for slalom: try running the front truck taller than the rear. I've only tried it on boards with the rear trucks mounted on a kicktail, but it may work for ldp too

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

RobotEmpire posted:

It was a complete, and this makes my third. I'm pretty sure that if you already have a longboard deck you can make it an "LDP" board pretty easily.

Already tried. My KS board has virtually nothing to put your foot on over the front truck. The other one is a surfboard shape and has little surface over the front truck, but I tried using different bushing setups (Indy trucks) and it just didn't work well. The KS pumps ok, but nothing sniffing long distance.

I think if I could have a specific built board for LDP I'd get into it and take long rides, but it ain't happening on the boards I have now. In fact, I'm going the Kahuna stick route on my KS and figure I can do some long distance that way.

[edit] it will also double as a weapon, the trails here have crime :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 21, 2010

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Horizontal Tree posted:

Otangs for LDP? Interesting. Are you finding them grippy enough with the tracker rear? I find Otangs pretty drifty, especially on standard geometry trucks. I was running Otang Stimulus 83a on my slalom rig for a bit, and it was fun as long as I didn't pump too hard. I haven't used my In Heats on there though because they're a little too big to fit without adding a fair amount of riser.
Here's a tip for all you LDP guys that I like for slalom: try running the front truck taller than the rear. I've only tried it on boards with the rear trucks mounted on a kicktail, but it may work for ldp too

I've only taken the one ride yesterday, a 6-miler, and didn't notice any issues at all with drifting, skidding or sliding.

Right now both trucks are sitting at the same height, though I may change it if the turning radius doesn't tighten up as I get these bushings break in.

edit:

leica posted:

Already tried. My KS board has virtually nothing to put your foot on over the front truck. The other one is a surfboard shape and has little surface over the front truck, but I tried using different bushing setups (Indy trucks) and it just didn't work well. The KS pumps ok, but nothing sniffing long distance.

Yeah I've got a surfboard-shaped Sector 9 which was my first-ever skateboard. Pretty narrow deck, no flex... it's not fun but I've gone five miles or so on it. Wasn't fun, and almost got run over when I bailed into traffic, but I did it. The difference between that Sector9 and this Mermaid is hard to overstate.

quote:

I think if I could have a specific built board for LDP I'd get into it and take long rides, but it ain't happening on the boards I have now. In fact, I'm going the Kahuna stick route on my KS and figure I can do some long distance that way.

Haha, good luck with that.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

RobotEmpire posted:

Got my mermaid today, rode about 6 miles on it. Fantastic ride. I'm in love (and tired).

Nice Mermaid you have there .. Are the otangs In Heat?

Yesterday I went for a little stroll after work, some 15 miles, 11 mph on average, with my Walkabout. LDP is a great thing because mixes exercising with skateboarding and that is a plus for a chubby old fart with little time.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

leica posted:

Already tried. My KS board has virtually nothing to put your foot on over the front truck.

That's one thing to look for. Another being whether the truck is dropped through or top mounted, because drop through decks are quite low on the ground and that's not desirable for pumping (but great for pushing).

leica posted:

In fact, I'm going the Kahuna stick route on my KS and figure I can do some long distance that way.

I'm always fancying to build one .. Did you buy yours?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
leica: have you actually purchased one of these kahuna sticks or are you more about Talking About Getting One in perpetuity.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

maxmars posted:

Nice Mermaid you have there .. Are the otangs In Heat?

dammit now I can't stop imagining my board all :shlick:ing below my feet :mad:

maxmars posted:

I'm always fancying to build one .. Did you buy yours?

I did this for a friend! It only took me ~$20-$25 and 15 minutes for the construction, then another 6 hours for carving my school's cheer spiraling down the side, the recipient's name, and "RAH RAH gently caress" in big letters at the bottom. Unfortunately, I gave it as a gift before I was able to take pictures, but here was the breakdown:

1 of the longest garden tool replacement "handles" (stick part) I could find - this should have been longer, so try to find a 1" wooden dowel about 8' long to start with. You can always cut it down bit by bit. ($10)

1 replacement "grip handle" (the thing you grab at the top of a shovel) - unfortunately I couldn't find one that you can buy separately, so I bought the cheapest shovel that had one of these and I had to drill out the rivets that held it in place, since it didn't have standard screws, nuts, or bolts. ($10)

1 Lacrosse ball instead of fixed wheels - this turned out great! Drill a stick-sized hole 1/2 of the way through (well, smaller than stick size, since it can stretch, and a small hole the rest of the way through. Jam that stick down there, and use a long rear end screw (and a washer, as I found out) to connect it. Works like a charm and hasn't slipped out yet! ($5)

1 set of handlebar grip tape - I am friends with my local bike shop guys and when they heard what it was for, they gave it to me for free, but it was marked as $10. Optional, anyhow, as the plastic grip didn't look too bad.

Like I said, start LONG and trim down as needed and have fun with whatever design you throw on their! Carving the whole thing out takes a LONG time, though, so don't undertake something like that unless you are willing to stick with it for a couple of days (you can't do 6 hours of carving in one sitting, unless you're on the slopes of course :))

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
I have to be honest, I don't understand the principles behind wedging. From what I understand increasing the wedge angle on the trucks increases stability and widens the turning radius. Is this about right? What else does wedging do for me?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/21/sports/21longboard.html?_r=2&th&emc=th&pagewanted=all

gently caress just kill me. gently caress this stupid poo poo.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/21/sports/21longboard.html?_r=2&th&emc=th&pagewanted=all

I don't get it?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Bucket Joneses posted:

urgh my FUN is being TALKED ABOUT

OLD PEOPLE are enjoying my ACTIVITY gently caress how will people know how HARDCORE my BIG FISH SHAPED BOARD makes me

It's an annoyingly written article but all it seems to say is "longboarding is fun and lots of people like it maybe you can too" which can only help the industry.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

More like "What the gently caress this isn't the future of skateboarding stop talking about it like it is."

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bucket Joneses posted:

More like "What the gently caress this isn't the future of skateboarding stop talking about it like it is."

Who cares?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'm sure somebody does. Obviously not you but we could keep looking around.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

leica: have you actually purchased one of these kahuna sticks or are you more about Talking About Getting One in perpetuity.

Well just talking about it now since not having a job and all. I have some poo poo I'm trying to sell on CL though and if I can sell it I'll buy a stick until then not gonna happen. I'll give a full report when I finally get one.

Although the way the heat has been here I'm in no hurry to die of dehydration on a long distance ride :v:

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
If you don't think longboarding/downhill is the next big thing in skateboarding then you're blind. It's taking off like wildfire. The article was kind of corny but it's the truth. Just a few years ago, I knew a couple people who were into it and that was it. Now, I see kids out cruising on longboards every single day. I don't think it's going to overshadow street skating, but I do see it coming very close in popularity.

RobotEmpire posted:

I have to be honest, I don't understand the principles behind wedging. From what I understand increasing the wedge angle on the trucks increases stability and widens the turning radius. Is this about right? What else does wedging do for me?

I'm speaking in terms of reverse kingpin (IE Randal) trucks, but here's how it works.

Look at your truck from the side and image three lines that form a triangle. The first line follows the top of the baseplate where it meets the board. The next line goes from the pivot cup to the hanger of the truck, and the last line follows the kingpin. Your pivot angle is the angle between the top of the baseplate and the axis of the pivot cup. This determines the ratio of lean to steer. A higher angle, such as a stock 50° Randal, means more of the lean is converted to steering. With a lower angle, such as 28º, the pivot angle is tighter, which means that the hanger will lean more than it steers. Basically, the closer the actual hanger is to being parallel with the ground or baseplate, the less it will turn. If you don't want to switch baseplates, you can use a wedged riser pad the achieve the same effect.

Lets say you have a setup like mine, a topmount board designed primarily for speed. You don't want a wobbly rear, and bushings can only do so much. So, you either wedge your rear truck or get a low angle baseplate. This means when you're locked into a turn, your rear truck just kind of follows the first without turning as sharp as the front. This also increases your traction since the load is being applied across the wheels instead of at an angle. Maybe I'll grab some pictures to try to explain what I mean a little more in depth, it's kind of confusing at first.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Bucket Joneses posted:

Care to explain yourself or are you just another 16 year old?

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

DELETED posted:

If you don't think longboarding/downhill is the next big thing in skateboarding then you're blind. It's taking off like wildfire. The article was kind of corny but it's the truth. Just a few years ago, I knew a couple people who were into it and that was it. Now, I see kids out cruising on longboards every single day. I don't think it's going to overshadow street skating, but I do see it coming very close in popularity.

Agreed, longboarding gives people an excuse to buy a skateboard -- that's how it worked for me. It's not like this is the first time skater culture exploded, one simply had to live through the 80s to see what that was like. IIRC a good time was had by all.

DELETED posted:

I'm speaking in terms of reverse kingpin (IE Randal) trucks, but here's how it works

Look at your truck from the side and image three lines that form a triangle. The first line follows the top of the baseplate where it meets the board. The next line goes from the pivot cup to the hanger of the truck, and the last line follows the kingpin. Your pivot angle is the angle between the top of the baseplate and the axis of the pivot cup. This determines the ratio of lean to steer. A higher angle, such as a stock 50° Randal, means more of the lean is converted to steering. With a lower angle, such as 28º, the pivot angle is tighter, which means that the hanger will lean more than it steers. Basically, the closer the actual hanger is to being parallel with the ground or baseplate, the less it will turn. If you don't want to switch baseplates, you can use a wedged riser pad the achieve the same effect.

Lets say you have a setup like mine, a topmount board designed primarily for speed. You don't want a wobbly rear, and bushings can only do so much. So, you either wedge your rear truck or get a low angle baseplate. This means when you're locked into a turn, your rear truck just kind of follows the first without turning as sharp as the front. This also increases your traction since the load is being applied across the wheels instead of at an angle. Maybe I'll grab some pictures to try to explain what I mean a little more in depth, it's kind of confusing at first.

Yeah, what? The pivot cup, reverse kingpin, what. Is there a wiki out there or something?

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine

Zigmidge posted:

Care to explain yourself or are you just another 16 year old?

Yeah, I'm also curious about what the big deal is. How does the longboarding's growth in popularity affect what you do?

EDIT: RobotEmpire, try here http://wiki.silverfishlongboarding.com/index.php/Trucks

Snap Your Fingers
Dec 16, 2006
I've been insightful for about 17 years.
Can I get some opinions on risers? My new complete just came in and I've ridden it just in the parking lot of the post office, since I had to run to work, but I can already tell there's some wheel bite. Do you think tightening the kingpin would help or should I transfer the 1/8" riser from my old deck? Seems like it couldn't hurt...

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Snap Your Fingers posted:

Can I get some opinions on risers? My new complete just came in and I've ridden it just in the parking lot of the post office, since I had to run to work, but I can already tell there's some wheel bite. Do you think tightening the kingpin would help or should I transfer the 1/8" riser from my old deck? Seems like it couldn't hurt...

Personally, I'd opt to skate lose with risers on over tightening the kingpin. It's all down to personal preference, so try them both out for a bit. :)

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Putting a bit of wax on your board where you get wheelbite can help a little. It's no solution if your wheels really rub when turning but it can help on those odd occasions where you land with your weight wrong and stop dead because of wheelbite (under-rotated 180s, mainly).

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I'll speak for him, since you guys seem to be itching for flame bait.

Longboarders are creepy, they're generally too friendly, their hamstrings are all swollen and gnarly looking from 6 miles of "LDP'ing" which is an acronym that's nearly as nerdy as the typical collar popped college type pushing around in flip flops. Skateboarding should be about creatively destroying your surroundings, and rebelling against _something_ authoritative... I'm kind of running out of steam here.

I love my longboard, but I'll never stop kickflippin.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

donJonSwan posted:

I'll speak for him, since you guys seem to be itching for flame bait.

Longboarders are creepy, they're generally too friendly, their hamstrings are all swollen and gnarly looking from 6 miles of "LDP'ing" which is an acronym that's nearly as nerdy as the typical collar popped college type pushing around in flip flops. Skateboarding should be about creatively destroying your surroundings, and rebelling against _something_ authoritative... I'm kind of running out of steam here.

I love my longboard, but I'll never stop kickflippin.

So hey bro you wanna grab some beers, maybe a bro-jerk afterward? Maybe we can massage each other's hamstrings?

but seriously, I'm pretty sure everyone knows what Bucket was talking about. As a matter of fact one of the companion videos with that longboarding piece touched on it. It was specifically about downhill slalom competitions, and one of the competitors was talking about how if the sport goes mainstream it's going to destroy the tight-knit community of competitors and lead to big egos with big paydays etc.

But yeah, donJuan, keep on creatively destroying the environment!!!! (You know you're old when you're defending your hobby from change, and saying the way you did it when you were a kid is the only way to do it) And let's never forget that, objectively, you are wrong.

About everything.

RobotEmpire fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 22, 2010

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
haha, there was supposed to be heavy dose of sarcasm and self-loathing in my post, the only destruction my sorry old rear end can muster up is a couple layers of hastily applied wax on a 2' tall ledge. :)

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

donJonSwan posted:

haha, there was supposed to be heavy dose of sarcasm and self-loathing in my post, the only destruction my sorry old rear end can muster up is a couple layers of hastily applied wax on a 2' tall ledge. :)

I figured you were rigging your ramps to explode once you pulled a monster ollie off of them

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I really dig the exploding longboarding scene.

I'm sure it helps keep a lot of the core skateboarding shops running, considering how expensive most of the specialized components are nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

donJonSwan posted:

I really dig the exploding longboarding scene.

I'm sure it helps keep a lot of the core skateboarding shops running, considering how expensive most of the specialized components are nowadays.

what is with you and explosions

it won't be long before the slalom events are on ESPN2 and eventually part of X Games. Not sure why they're not already. It's super fast, accidents are heinous, and so on. It'll experience a couple summers of booming before leveling off and becoming a 'regular' extreme sport that everyone knows about like vert or what have you. I can see it being a summer Olympics competition in 10-20 years.